User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"We have a bowling attack which can give England a run for their money" : Azhar Ali

Karachi, Jun 27 (PTI) Pakistan captain Azhar Ali believes that his team can defeat England in their own backyard in the upcoming three-match Test series if the batting unit clicks to post 300-plus totals.

The first Test begins at Lord's on July 30, and the team leaves for the tour on Sunday with 20 players and 11 support staff, even as six out of the 10 coronavirus-infected cricketers returned negative when they were tested the second time.

"I think that if our batting can put together totals around 300 or more we have the potential to beat England. On recent tours we have made strong comebacks and done well there," Ali said at a media interaction a day before the team's departure on a chartered flight to the UK.

Ali, a veteran of 78 Tests and 53 ODIs, dismissed concerns about the team’s young pace attack.

"I believe we have a pace-cum-spin attack which can give England a run for their money. Youngsters like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Naseem Shah or Muhammad Hasnain have immense potential to succeed in English conditions while we have plenty of experience as well in our bowling," he added.

The 35-year-old Ali said he did not believe that his bowlers would face problems in England due to the new ICC Standard Operating Procedures for bowlers because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

"I don’t think not being able to use saliva to shine the ball is a big problem. Pace bowlers usually sweat a lot and plus the Duke ball has a lot of wax coating so the shine remains for a long time and it can be polished with sweat.

"Bowlers get natural movement with the Duke ball in English conditions and not being able to use saliva means our bowlers can also try to reverse swing it more," he said.

Ali said that Pakistan would not face any problem playing in empty stadiums as they were accustomed to this environment while playing in the UAE in the last 10 years.

"No one knows better than us what it is like to bat in an empty stadium,” Ali said.

He also dispelled the impression that the players going to England were under pressure because of the positive tests of 10 players and one official.

"I think if someone tests positive it is a surprise and this happened with our players but generally I think in this lockdown period the players have kept themselves fit and ready for cricket.”

He also said that the players have no concerns about playing in a bio-secure environment in England or remaining in quarantine and isolation for long periods.

"The West Indies are already there and they appear to be comfortable and safe and are preparing now for their tests."

Ali said he would bat at his usual number three position but if the need arises he could bat elsewhere in the order.

"I have settled down at number three but whenever the team has needed me to open I have also opened."

Ali said that despite some inexperience in the team, most of the players had done well in England on previous tours and knew the threat of bowlers like James Anderson, Stuart Broad or Jofra Archer.

"We have played them before and we have scored against them as well so it is not going to be a surprise for us.”
    https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscr...in-ali/1879348

Hope Shadab Khan, Mohammad Rizwan Join The Team Later in The Tour: Azhar Ali

Pakistan Test captain Azhar Ali did not rule out Shadab Khan and Mohammad Rizwan joining the squad later in their tour of England once they have fully recovered from coronavirus. Shadab and Rizwan were two of four players who have tested positive in the latest round of results that came on Saturday.

“There is a chance that they might join,” Azhar said in a video conference with reporters on Saturday. “(Shadab and Rizwan) are both asymptomatic. Doctors and medical staff expect them to recover quickly and they are both important players. So hopefully they will join the team quickly.”

Pakistan’s tour of England begins on July 30 with a three-match Test series. This will be followed by a three-match T20I series from August 29 to September 2. The matches will be happening without fans in the stand and will be the first for Pakistan since the pandemic disrupted the cricket calendar in mid-March.

“It”s a matter of great happiness that we are getting to play again and travel to England,” said Azhar.

“Players are excited and very hungry to play again. A lot of youngsters are there in the team too and none of us have been able to do what we love. Tours of England have always been challenging but our performances are very encouraging. Hopefully, we can carry on in the same vein and do better. Our 2016 and 2018 tours were good, we won the Champions Trophy there. We also performed pretty well in the World Cup.

“The crowd there has been very supportive, a lot of Pakistanis do come to matches. But unfortunately, they won’t be there this time so we will try to give our best and give the people watching at home some entertainment during these tough times.”

https://www.cricketcountry.com/news/...har-ali-935212
    Last edited by Abdullah719; 28th June 2020 at 01:14.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The lack of preparation is a bit worrying.

Especially since England will have the huge advantage of already playing 3 test matches, not to mention itís their home series.

If Pakistan manage to win even a single match it will be their greatest performance in England over the last few tours.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I like the way Azhar is trying to put the onus on the bowling as he knows the batting is decrepit with him being the main culprit.

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah but you don't have batting. I like the fast bowlers they have at their disposal... but unfortunately there is Yasir who will continuously be played.

And they will probably do something insane like going with 6 batsmen to have Faheem be used as an "allrounder".

I don't really have much hope Shan/Azhar/Shafiq will do much on this tour. Can only hope Babar comes up big, Fawad gets a chance and has big performances.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Yeah we'll score 300 if you ain't selected.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He's not wrong. Pakistani bowlers struggle when there is minimal lateral movement. But in England, the movement due to the combined effect of swing and seam is higher than anywhere else and Pakistani seamers are deadly in such conditions.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although Shaheen and Naseem are inexperienced they will definitely create an impact.
    Hopefully they don't get their radar wrong.

Its the batting, Pakistan needs to focus on, not the bowling.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I think a bowling attack of Abbas, Shaheen, Yasir and Naseem, if on-song could rattle England. But the usual words as ever spring to mind - will Pakistan's batsmen be able to put enough runs on the board.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    That's fine but what about his own batting performance? If I am not wrong he has been performing poorly in the last couple of matches?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    That's fine but what about his own batting performance? If I am not wrong he has been performing poorly in the last couple of matches?
    Last couple of matches, he was okay due to facing depleted SL and mighty Bangladesh in home conditions. Last couple of years he's been atrocious overall, especially abroad.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What about our batting Azhar? Can we expect an average of over 30 from you on this tour? I doubt it

Azhar will be walking wicket, Asad will have 1-2 decent innings, Shan and Abid are unproven. Batting is totally dependant on Babar - he needs to score a 3-4 centuries in the series to keep it competitive

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has been poor since 2018.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    632 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    What about our batting Azhar? Can we expect an average of over 30 from you on this tour? I doubt it

Azhar will be walking wicket, Asad will have 1-2 decent innings, Shan and Abid are unproven. Batting is totally dependant on Babar - he needs to score a 3-4 centuries in the series to keep it competitive
    Yea bro Babar and Asad will be good, but the top 3 could struggle in these conditions.

I hope Yasir Shah can bat well.

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Seems like we say this before every series forgetting that we also have to bat. And the attack is very inexoerienced, but let’s hope for the best.

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How about batting?

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    He has been poor since 2018.
    Average of 28.81 since Misbah retired.

9.83 AVG in 6 innings in South Africa.
    15.50 AVG in 4 innings in Australia.
    16.75 AVG in 4 innings in New Zealand.

Somehow also managed to score only 6 runs combined in 2 innings in Ireland.

Pretty terrible batsmen at this point which has been obvious for the past 3 years.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abbas time to shine?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím excited to see Abbas, Shaheen, and Naseem trio so Iím not too worried in that regard.

As always it comes down to our batting. If Azhar and Asad can each at least average 30-35 runs with Babar scoring big (hopefully) per innings, then consistent 300+ scores are on. Shan Iím excited to see as well but kinda nervous in how he faces Anderson. Abid is untested so weíll see for him.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shan
    Azhar
    Haris
    Babar
    Shafiq
    Rizwan
    Shadab
    Faheem
    Shaheen
    Abbas
    Naseem

That would have been amazing.
    Faheem has done fine as a 4th seamer each time he has played tests, and Shadab would be used more in the second innings, and Azhar would have haris there to help out with control.

Now that Haris isn't there, one of imam Abid and fawad come in.

I suspect 2 will.come in and Yasir will play ,so it will be 3 quicks plus a spinner, which isn't enough bowling resource for August test matches, especially as Yasir has little control atm
    Last edited by Abdullah; 28th June 2020 at 11:10.

If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowling is fine. They can keep England in check.

Batting has to rally around Babar. Azhar and Asad have to absorb the punches so that Babar can take the fight to England.

After long time Pak opening pair is well experienced and sensible. Both are not worried by extra pace or short ball atleast. Hopefully they can continue the good work on this tour.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    They desperately need Shadab Khan to recover fo shorten the tail.

Yasir Shah is a liability outside Asia as a bowler and in England outside London has a career record of 4 wickets for 502 runs - when he was better than he is now.

Pakistan have to pack the team with all-rounders to compensate for the geriatric has-beens in the Top Five and the fact that they have THREE Numbers 11ís (Abbas Shaheen and Naseem).

(Four Number Elevens if you include Azhar Ali with his average of 12.12 outside Asia since his 33rd birthday.)

They are going to need:

6. Mohammad Rizwan
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. Faheem Ashraf

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Kabhi Spain Kabhi Pain
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only 300? Most teams target 450-600 in tests.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    bowling will definitely do very well that's for sure but batting doesn't inspire confidence.way too reliant on Babar. he alone won't score 300-400.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Last 3 years, he is averaging 28. That includes free runs against SL and BD home, went missing in those series too wherever we weren't 2 steps in the the game.

He is going to be hopeless this tour, hopefully that will be the end of it.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    They desperately need Shadab Khan to recover fo shorten the tail.

Yasir Shah is a liability outside Asia as a bowler and in England outside London has a career record of 4 wickets for 502 runs - when he was better than he is now.

Pakistan have to pack the team with all-rounders to compensate for the geriatric has-beens in the Top Five and the fact that they have THREE Numbers 11ís (Abbas Shaheen and Naseem).

(Four Number Elevens if you include Azhar Ali with his average of 12.12 outside Asia since his 33rd birthday.)

They are going to need:

6. Mohammad Rizwan
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. Faheem Ashraf
    Faheem Ashraf is a tailender too. I'll rather play Fawad or Haider even.

Yasir, I agree on. I would have given Zafar his debut by now.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Invincible Gujjar View Post
    bowling will definitely do very well that's for sure but batting doesn't inspire confidence.way too reliant on Babar. he alone won't score 300-400.
    I have some hope that him Shan will come good. Rizwan might contribute some too, but the gap he leaves between bat and pad is a recipe for disaster.

The rest don't inspire any confidence. Now imagine if we have to play Sarfraz.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Naz View Post
    Average of 28.81 since Misbah retired.

9.83 AVG in 6 innings in South Africa.
    15.50 AVG in 4 innings in Australia.
    16.75 AVG in 4 innings in New Zealand.

Somehow also managed to score only 6 runs combined in 2 innings in Ireland.

Pretty terrible batsmen at this point which has been obvious for the past 3 years.

Yep he has been rubbish for a while and Pakistan name his as captain. Just sums up Pakistan cricket decision making these days.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsal_AK View Post
    Faheem Ashraf is a tailender too. I'll rather play Fawad or Haider even.

Yasir, I agree on. I would have given Zafar his debut by now.
    You canít have 3 or 4 Number 11ís, because you canít let 260-6 become 265 all out.

The Pakistan bowlers who bat best are Shadab, Faheem and Yasir Shah, in that order. Two of them must play.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Without Misbah and Younis, I'm a little worried that we'll be exposed really badly this time

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Additional issues:

No cricket for months
    No warm-up matches versus County teams

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    It is a very average bowling attack excluding Shaheen.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wish the same could be said for giving English bowlers a run for their money but Pak have two free loaders in their batting lineup severely handicapping it.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pak will be going into the series without any cricket (Except internal matches) while Eng will be coming after playing tests against Windies.

Will obviously be tough and if Pak can compete well then that would be great as these are unfortunately not usual circumstances.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is a very average bowling attack excluding Shaheen.
    Not in English conditions. On flat pitches, i agree they are untested but in England, even Abbas could wreak havoc.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Not in English conditions. On flat pitches, i agree they are untested but in England, even Abbas could wreak havoc.
    Pak bowlers including pacers got hammered last time at Old Trafford. Southampton is generally quite flat.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Another issue at the moment which hopefully will get sorted out soon is that the squad doesn't even have enough players to play a XI a side match amongst themselves.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Another issue at the moment which hopefully will get sorted out soon is that the squad doesn't even have enough players to play a XI a side match amongst themselves.
    Well there are 20 players plus Younis and Misbah. So that makes it 22.

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hisham_ashraf View Post
    Well there are 20 players plus Younis and Misbah. So that makes it 22.
    Zafar Gohar aslo, makes it 21, support staff will also have to chip in they are supposed to play 2 intra squad warmup games, i think one will be done & dusted by the time remaining 10 players join the main team

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Abbas is finished. He failed in basically every series since dominating Australia in the UAE in 2018.

He is getting slower and slower and his best days are behind him. I think he has 2-3 series left in him at max.

The other bowlers excluding Shaheen are very ordinary.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    10 bat, 10 bowl and then a couple of players field for both sides? I'm sure they can come up with something creative

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Far too much responsibility on Babar's shoulders and they will target him.