Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 43 of 43
  1. #1
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    42,136
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    "It would be a miracle, if Pakistan even wins one match against England" : Saeed Ajmal

    Lahore: Former Pakistan spin-legend Saeed Ajmal thinks that the Pakistan cricket team is not strong enough to give a tough time to England and it would be an achievement if Pakistan even wins a single test.

    “Pakistan team consists of young players, England series will be difficult for them. It does not seem possible for Pakistan to win the series,” Ajmal said.

    “It would be a miracle, if Pakistan even wins one match. As a Pakistani, I pray that the national team performs well in the series,” he added.

    The 42-year-old hailed Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) decision of appointing Younis Khan as batting coach on England tour.

    “Younis Khan’s presence in the dressing room will be helpful for the batsmen. Young players will learn a lot from Misbah-ul-Haq, Younis Khan, Waqar Younis and Mushtaq Ahmed on the tour,” he maintained.

    He also said that the return of cricket behind closed doors would be similar to playing deaf cricket and playing in front of the empty stands would make things boring for a player and there could be a lack of motivation as well.

    “Cricket without spectators would be like a deaf cricket match. This would make the game boring than ever and even the players wouldn’t like it,” he added.

    “Behind closed-door rule will work in England but there will be difficulties in countries like Dubai and Pakistan. Authorities should allow a limited number of fans. For example, 1,000 people in a venue with a capacity of 10,000,” he maintained.

    It must be noted that the 20-member squad along with 11 officials arrived in Manchester via a chartered plane from Lahore, on Sunday.

    According to the tentative schedule, the first Test will be played on August 5 in Manchester. Pakistan will play the remaining two games in Southampton, on August 13 and 21 respectively.

    https://arysports.tv/would-surprised...england-ajmal/


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    5,319
    Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Lahore: Former Pakistan spin-legend Saeed Ajmal thinks that the Pakistan cricket team is not strong enough to give a tough time to England and it would be an achievement if Pakistan even wins a single test.

    “Pakistan team consists of young players, England series will be difficult for them. It does not seem possible for Pakistan to win the series,” Ajmal said.

    “It would be a miracle, if Pakistan even wins one match. As a Pakistani, I pray that the national team performs well in the series,” he added.

    The 42-year-old hailed Pakistan Cricket Board’s (PCB) decision of appointing Younis Khan as batting coach on England tour.

    “Younis Khan’s presence in the dressing room will be helpful for the batsmen. Young players will learn a lot from Misbah-ul-Haq, Younis Khan, Waqar Younis and Mushtaq Ahmed on the tour,” he maintained.

    He also said that the return of cricket behind closed doors would be similar to playing deaf cricket and playing in front of the empty stands would make things boring for a player and there could be a lack of motivation as well.

    “Cricket without spectators would be like a deaf cricket match. This would make the game boring than ever and even the players wouldn’t like it,” he added.

    Behind closed-door rule will work in England but there will be difficulties in countries like Dubai and Pakistan. Authorities should allow a limited number of fans. For example, 1,000 people in a venue with a capacity of 10,000,” he maintained.

    It must be noted that the 20-member squad along with 11 officials arrived in Manchester via a chartered plane from Lahore, on Sunday.

    According to the tentative schedule, the first Test will be played on August 5 in Manchester. Pakistan will play the remaining two games in Southampton, on August 13 and 21 respectively.

    https://arysports.tv/would-surprised...england-ajmal/
    Lol quite the opposite actually. Dubai is best suited for tests with an empty crowd, as hardly anyone turns up there anyway.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    13,302
    Mentioned
    256 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The world may keep on undermining Pakistan cricket team but they keep on churning wins after another. Ajmal seems like just a bitter guy who has no legacy as a bowler in test cricket.

    If we look at Pakistan's performance in England since 2011(that is over last 10 years), the results are

    Pakistan 3-0 England 2012 tour
    Pakistan 2-0 England 2015 tour
    Pakistan 2-2 England 2016 tour
    Pakistan 1-1 England 2018 tour

    Total is 8-3 Pakistan on counts of two home and two away tours. They have absolutely dominated England and claiming that they won't even a match is outright false. I would argue Pakistan are favourites although the only sign of worry is the great young England talented batsmen, Ollie Pope.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    21,660
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It was a miracle how Australia won that T20 semi final Ajmal bhai

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    4,940
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The team is filled with geriatrics, which young players does he think this series will be difficult for? Babar Azam? Shaheen Afridi?

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    16,285
    Mentioned
    717 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lol. Ajmal talking nonsense. This is England not Australia. Pakistan has a very good record here. England should be the team having concerns. They don't dominate teams at home often.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,127
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajmal is missing being part of the squad.

    Too much flex in his comments.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    986
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol..
    This guy need to stop nonsense.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    14,659
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ajmal has never been a great thinker or speaker so we need to give him a break

  10. #10
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    5,095
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like someone gearing up to launch the elusive YouTube channel

  11. #11
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,721
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's ridiculous the person will be a draw or 2-1 england

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    4,923
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Lol quite the opposite actually. Dubai is best suited for tests with an empty crowd, as hardly anyone turns up there anyway.
    Also , more testing is the best way to prevent cornona virus infection. UAE has achieved the top position in countries with most tests/million population . Just a comparison, UAE has tested 350,000/million USA 92000, UK 126000, India 590 and Pakistan 560

  13. #13
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    7,268
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds more like Misbah bhai im one of ur good friend how come i wasnt selected. So pls include me in the list for the vacation to England

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    14,421
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Saeed Ajmal's reaction after Pakistan win 1 out of 3 tests.


  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    1,198
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not Australia Saeed bhai
    its England

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,641
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I hate to admit this, but it could be 3 0 to England for reasons stated in other threads, such as no practice matches, no cricket for many months, fresh and under-used wickets.



  17. #17
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    21,660
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I hate to admit this, but it could be 3 0 to England for reasons stated in other threads, such as no practice matches, no cricket for many months, fresh and under-used wickets.
    Agreed. Not ideal circumstances to play. Especially with our boys who have a knack of switching off or arriving late to the game psychologically at times.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    2,092
    Mentioned
    491 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It could be a whitewash for England specially due to the lack of preparation from Pakistan and some of the names mentioned in the squad.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,882
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan has done more than fine in Eng. I won't see winning one test in Eng as miracle.

    Miracle for Pakistan would be winning one test in Aus. Actually, just avoid losing single test in any tour will be close to miracle. If Pakistan was touring Aus, then statement would have some merit, but not true for touring Eng.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  20. #20
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    808
    Mentioned
    593 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Agreed 100%

  21. #21
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    1,134
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistani bowlers will have to be world beaters to win a match IMO similar to how they were in the 2018 Test match.

    It's not impossible but relying on that to basically happen again is faint hope.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    7,016
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can somebody please confirm the tour schedule?


    If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got #improve

  23. #23
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Totally agree with him.

    We are still rubbish and England are a better Test team now than they were a couple of years ago, thanks to the emergence of players like Archer, Pope, Sibley, Burns etc., and Stokes developing from a world class player into an all-time great player.

    2010 was the year when we become England’s bogey team and 2020 is the year when it will all end.

    It is also important to remember that we are atrocious in non-London venues. We can only win at Lord’s and Oval only, and we are not going playing any Tests there.

    We are an awful side led by an awful captain and an awful coach. If England don’t sweep the series, they should be bitterly disappointment.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    28,589
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    One can never write Pakistan off. They continually pull surprises out of their hat.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    4,079
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    England should aim for a 3-0, anything less should be a disappointing outcome for them.

    Unfortunately, we only have Babar and Shaheen as world class players, others shouldn't be a threat to English side.

    PS: How's Abbas, recovered from injuries etc? I don't trust PCB...
    Last edited by WhenSultansBowled; 30th June 2020 at 12:05.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    19,064
    Mentioned
    7427 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    He's not wrong though. I don't know if our batting lineup is good enough to consistently put up competitive scores.

    I would love to be proven wrong though. I think a lot will depend on Babar and Abid. Don't have much hope from the rest.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    1,256
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although, Pakistan has won many times in the past, ajmal will be proven correct. England is a much stronger team than it was 2 years ago.

    Pakistani batting is very brittle, only babar and maybe shan have experience in sena. Asad and azhar will be walking wickets. Archer had made the bowling stronger. Burns and Sibley are solid openers and pope is going to be better than root.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,391
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't use the word miracle. But I would say it's unlikely. England look a better test team than 2018. And Pakistan weren't a good test team on 2018.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    42,136
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah View Post
    Can somebody please confirm the tour schedule?
    Exact dates will be announced soon. First Test is expected to start sometime in the first week of August, I believe.


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  30. #30
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    42,136
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Shoaib wants Pakistan to showcase the 90s brand of cricket

    ISLAMABAD, Jul 01 (APP):Former pacer Shoaib Akhtar wants Green-shirts to showcase the late 1990s brand of cricket against England, for which Pakistan was known for, saying the whole world would be watching the series and the expectations were high.

    “Pakistan needs to play good cricket by making the right combinations after accessing the situation. We should not just play to draw the Test series but win it. In the past we lost many series just because of the batting and mindset which we could have won,” he said in a video on his YouTube channel.

    He said in the late 1990s when we used to play cricket in the likes of Aamir Sohail, Saeed Anwar, Ijaz Ahmed, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Salim Malik, Wasim Akram, Razzaq, they all played with aggression.

    “I need that type of aggression and that brand of cricket which we were known for. I want Pakistan to play sensible innings as the whole world will be watching the series. I have a lot of expectations from Babar Azam and Haider Ali (in Twenty20),” he said.

    Shoaib, who bagged 178 wickets in 46 Tests, said he wants to see Pakistan come out as a good team. “I want the fast bowlers to go out and see their length as the aggression lies in the length and not in the pace. Glen Mcgrath, Wasim Akram, Malcolm Marshall were the bowlers who knew when to hit the deck. So keep up the pace and test English batting and skill,” he said.

    The former speedster regretted that there was no practice match before the series where spinners Yasir Shah and Shadab Khan’s form would have been checked.

    “Yasir is a very good spinner and he needs to compete and perform. Shadab is also brought for reentry and rebuilding as he can be a part of the test team. I am seeing that Pakistan will go in the series with three pacers, one all-rounder and a spinner depending on the wickets,” he said.

    About batting coach Younis Khan, he said Younis was a good man and needs to transfer his attitude to the youngsters. “I want to see Pakistani batsmen playing like Younis. He should transfer his courage, knowledge and experience to the youngsters,” he said.

    Shoaib, who took 247 wickets in 163 ODIs, said England has a long batting line up in the likes of Barristrow, Joe Root, Ben Stokes etc. “I want Pakistan team to be aggressive and test the England batting and their skills.

    At the same time Pakistan needs to come out as a great team, as a unit. And when it comes to leading the pack with Wahab Raiz or Shaheen Shah Afridi, I just want Pakistan to look like a better team,” he said.

    https://www.app.com.pk/shoaib-wants-...nd-of-cricket/


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  31. #31
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,721
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    Shoaib wants Pakistan to showcase the 90s brand of cricket

    ISLAMABAD, Jul 01 (APP):Former pacer Shoaib Akhtar wants Green-shirts to showcase the late 1990s brand of cricket against England, for which Pakistan was known for, saying the whole world would be watching the series and the expectations were high.

    “Pakistan needs to play good cricket by making the right combinations after accessing the situation. We should not just play to draw the Test series but win it. In the past we lost many series just because of the batting and mindset which we could have won,” he said in a video on his YouTube channel.

    He said in the late 1990s when we used to play cricket in the likes of Aamir Sohail, Saeed Anwar, Ijaz Ahmed, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Salim Malik, Wasim Akram, Razzaq, they all played with aggression.

    “I need that type of aggression and that brand of cricket which we were known for. I want Pakistan to play sensible innings as the whole world will be watching the series. I have a lot of expectations from Babar Azam and Haider Ali (in Twenty20),” he said.

    Shoaib, who bagged 178 wickets in 46 Tests, said he wants to see Pakistan come out as a good team. “I want the fast bowlers to go out and see their length as the aggression lies in the length and not in the pace. Glen Mcgrath, Wasim Akram, Malcolm Marshall were the bowlers who knew when to hit the deck. So keep up the pace and test English batting and skill,” he said.

    The former speedster regretted that there was no practice match before the series where spinners Yasir Shah and Shadab Khan’s form would have been checked.

    “Yasir is a very good spinner and he needs to compete and perform. Shadab is also brought for reentry and rebuilding as he can be a part of the test team. I am seeing that Pakistan will go in the series with three pacers, one all-rounder and a spinner depending on the wickets,” he said.

    About batting coach Younis Khan, he said Younis was a good man and needs to transfer his attitude to the youngsters. “I want to see Pakistani batsmen playing like Younis. He should transfer his courage, knowledge and experience to the youngsters,” he said.

    Shoaib, who took 247 wickets in 163 ODIs, said England has a long batting line up in the likes of Barristrow, Joe Root, Ben Stokes etc. “I want Pakistan team to be aggressive and test the England batting and their skills.

    At the same time Pakistan needs to come out as a great team, as a unit. And when it comes to leading the pack with Wahab Raiz or Shaheen Shah Afridi, I just want Pakistan to look like a better team,” he said.

    https://www.app.com.pk/shoaib-wants-...nd-of-cricket/
    That's what I want 3 Pacers 1 spinner and 1 all rounder

    Shaheen,naseem,abbas 1 all rounder in either fahim or shadab 1 spinner being yasir or gohar

  32. #32
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    1,134
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He said in the late 1990s when we used to play cricket in the likes of Aamir Sohail, Saeed Anwar, Ijaz Ahmed, Inzamam-ul-Haq, Salim Malik, Wasim Akram, Razzaq, they all played with aggression.
    Pakistan played aggressive cricket in the 90's? They had a few aggressive hitters like Anwar, Sohail and when Afridi came on scene but most of the lineup was just accumulators with Pakistan limping towards 250 scores.

    Abdul Razzaq in the 90's: 23.40 AVG, 56.79 in 26 innings. And yes, that strike rate is for ODI's, not Tests. I'm not sure what he is talking about there. In fact, he saw the countless tuk tuk from Razzaq in the 99 World Cup where he played horrendously.

    The real problem is Pakistan cricket hasn't really transitioned to modern day since the 90's. They play a similar brand of cricket where they start slow and rely on big hitting towards the end to put up a decent total. Meanwhile, the middle of the lineup is full of accumulators for decades. They are what England used to be before truly transforming after the 2015 debacle.
    Last edited by Nasty Naz; 2nd July 2020 at 00:09.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,641
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Had a chat with Mohammad Yousuf yesterday, he's concerned about the pressure on Babar Azam and how he wants Azhar Ali to step up.



  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    8,073
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Strange pessimism from Ajmal.

    England are no longer a great Test team but they start off as favorites.


    Bangladeshi Fan

  35. #35
    Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    28,589
    Mentioned
    976 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Wouldn't use the word miracle. But I would say it's unlikely. England look a better test team than 2018. And Pakistan weren't a good test team on 2018.
    England’s top order looks more robust, and they have two pace options which they lacked in 2018.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    32,391
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    England’s top order looks more robust, and they have two pace options which they lacked in 2018.
    Agreed.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    986
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Had a chat with Mohammad Yousuf yesterday, he's concerned about the pressure on Babar Azam and how he wants Azhar Ali to step up.
    elaborate please..

  38. #38
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,721
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Strange pessimism from Ajmal.

    England are no longer a great Test team but they start off as favorites.
    Slightly faviroutes but depends how they play against west indies tbh 1-1 and pakistan will be licking thier lips

  39. #39
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,721
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    England’s top order looks more robust, and they have two pace options which they lacked in 2018.
    They had anderson,broad stokes and wood in that attack and dom Bess he was okay.their top order was also cook proberly England greatest opener.this top order is not tested yet they will be tested against pakistan thou shaheen naseem

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    8,737
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expect Pakistan to win the series 2-1.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,721
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Expect Pakistan to win the series 2-1.
    I'd be surprised if they win 2-1 I think 1-1 at best

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    2,301
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. Agreed. Even 1 win or even a drawn test would be an achievement. More than the batting, it's the bowling I worry the most. I'm expecting 400+ scores against Pakistan every test.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    1,721
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shariqnoor View Post
    Yeah. Agreed. Even 1 win or even a drawn test would be an achievement. More than the batting, it's the bowling I worry the most. I'm expecting 400+ scores against Pakistan every test.
    No chance they scoring 400 in every test yes maybe first ininings 200 second ininings 200.they should try and draw the series but they will win 1 game


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •