Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 53 of 53
  1. #1
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    1,870
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    EU air safety agency suspends PIA authorization to operate in Europe for 6 months

    More problems for PIA now as they are banned from flying in Europe for half a year:

    ==

    The European Union Air Safety Agency (EASA) on Tuesday announced it was “temporarily” suspending Pakistan International Airlines (PIA)’s authorization to operate in member states, less than a week after Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan alleged in Parliament that a third of the state carrier’s pilots possessed fake or “dubious” licenses.

    The EASA, in a letter to PIA seen by Newsweek, said it had decided to suspend PIA’s operations both because the airline had failed to implement all elements of a safety management system and due to the concerns raised by the aviation minister. “EASA is concerned about the validity of the Pakistani pilot licenses and that Pakistan, as the state of operator, is currently not capable to certify and oversee its operators and aircraft in accordance with applicable international standards,” it said.

    Referring to the safety management system, EASA said the organization could not approve additional timelines because the software application proposed by PIA was still under development—with PIA claiming it would be completed in three to four months—and there was no guarantee it would be completed in time. Similarly, it said, safety reports were not processed, and corrective action plans had not been fully implemented despite the deadline being extended from May 24, 2020 to June 17, 2020.

    “Moreover, following the recent tragic events that M/S Pakistan International Airlines Corporation Limited has faced, including flight PK8303 on May 22, 2020 and the initial findings laid down in the preliminary accident report showing successive breaches of multiple layers of safety defenses in the safety management system, EASA is concerned that the safety management system is not achieving its primary objective,” it added.

    The EASA statement noted that PIA had sought to allay concerns about pilots with dubious licenses. “However, this does not mitigate EASA’s concern, as there are strong indications that a high number of Pakistani pilot licenses are invalid. EASA therefore no longer has confidence that Pakistan, as the state of operator, can effectively ensure that operators certified in Pakistan comply at all times with the applicable requirements for crew qualification,” it added.

    The letter states that EASA “may extend the suspension period for additional 3 months” at the conclusion of six months, and warns that the authorization can be revoked outright after the suspension period if EASA “is not satisfied that successful corrective action have been taken.”

    According to EASA, PIA has the right to appeal the decision and must file it in writing within two months of the date of the notification. “Pakistan International Airlines Corporation Limited is required to pay a fee when lodging the appeal,” it added.

    For now, PIA has discontinued all flights to Europe. Passengers with reservations on PIA flights to European nations would have the option to either extend their bookings to a later date or get full refunds for their ticket prices, according to a PIA spokesman.

    A statement issued by PIA said the state carrier was in contact with EASA to allay its concerns and take the corrective measures required to end the suspension. The national flag carrier “sincerely hopes that with reparative and swift actions taken by the Government of Pakistan and PIA management, earliest possible lifting of this suspension can be expected,” it added.

    Overall, 262 Pakistani pilots have been grounded due to the aviation minister’s claims. Of these, 109 are commercial and 153 airline transport pilots. They would remain grounded until their licenses have been investigated, says PIA. It said of the grounded pilots, 141 were from PIA, nine from Air Blue, 10 from Serene Airline, and 17 from the defunct Shaheen Airlines.

    In addition to the ban from EASA, PIA pilots employed in Vietnam have been grounded, Qatar Airways and Oman Airways have compiled lists of Pakistani staff, and Kuwait Air has also announced it would take action against Pakistani staff.

    https://www.newsweekpakistan.com/e-u...or-six-months/
    Last edited by MenInG; 30th June 2020 at 21:44.


    Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

  2. #2
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    214
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What. A. Shame

    PIA is nothing but a company to laugh at. This is what happens when you let incompetent corrupt people run an airline. They have put a once top airline to it's knees.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    214
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon

    Is this the army's fault as well?

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    174
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And some people were arguing on other threads that Imran Khanís OBL martyr diatribe had no implications for Pakistan. The EU is taking these actions because of the statement by a Pakistani minister at the Pakistani National Assembly.

    WORDS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!!!

    Pakistanis are very good at own-goals. No wonder the country produces more soccer balls than any other country in the world.
    Last edited by chinaman00; 30th June 2020 at 22:08.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    643
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does this include Britain then?

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    214
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It happened because of the aviation minister and he did an excellent job. Would you prefer fake pilots flying around? PIA is desperately in need of an overhaul and this is excellent.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    2,263
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Makes absolute sense if your pilots are flying on fake licences. The previous governments should hang their heads in shame as they are responsible for this mess.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owais1 View Post
    @Mamoon

    Is this the army's fault as well?
    They are the root of the problem, but this specific own goal is because the fake degree holder, our aviation minister, decided to politicize the problem.

    If PTI were sincere about the PIA reforms, they would do their job quietly without defaming PIA and the country at the international level.

    However, this is a carefully crafted ploy - PTIís political tactic is basically to thrive on noise pollution. By shouting loudly, abusing and throwing insults, they aim to get away with the fact that they are woefully incompetent and cannot walk the talk.

    We all know that PTIís reforms basically make things worse than before. We have seen that in 7 years in KP and we are seeing it now at the federal level, and we will also see it in a few years when PIA would actually reach new lows under their clueless leadership.

    Imran also knows this. He has collected the most unique assortment of inept, dumb gutter-mouths in his team who partake in the ďwho can abuse the mostĒ contest. The better you are at abusing, the more prominent position you will have in the PTI government.

    But this tactic works effectively when it comes to escaping accountability. After PTIís reforms turn PIA into a bigger circus, they will say that it is not our fault because we inherited a mess. But if they get something right by fluke, they will take all the credit.

    This is PTIís modus operandi in every department. You can apply this formula across the board.

    Something good happens, thanks to us; something bad happens, thanks to them.

    For months, the Naya PIA has been blowing itís trumpet over the increase in profits, but it appears that they were not concerned - or not aware - about the pilots with fake licenses.

    Would a serious, credible management of an airline celebrate the increase in profits when its pilots are flying the planes with fake licenses?

    What does this say about the current PIA leadership and the leader who has appointed this leadership in the first place?

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    2,263
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    They are the root of the problem, but this specific own goal is because the fake degree holder, our aviation minister, decided to politicize the problem.

    If PTI were sincere about the PIA reforms, they would do their job quietly without defaming PIA and the country at the international level.

    However, this is a carefully crafted ploy - PTIís political tactic is basically to thrive on noise pollution. By shouting loudly, abusing and throwing insults, they aim to get away with the fact that they are woefully incompetent and cannot walk the talk.

    We all know that PTIís reforms basically make things worse than before. We have seen that in 7 years in KP and we are seeing it now at the federal level, and we will also see it in a few years when PIA would actually reach new lows under their clueless leadership.

    Imran also knows this. He has collected the most unique assortment of inept, dumb gutter-mouths in his team who partake in the ďwho can abuse the mostĒ contest. The better you are at abusing, the more prominent position you will have in the PTI government.

    But this tactic works effectively when it comes to escaping accountability. After PTIís reforms turn PIA into a bigger circus, they will say that it is not our fault because we inherited a mess. But if they get something right by fluke, they will take all the credit.

    This is PTIís modus operandi in every department. You can apply this formula across the board.

    Something good happens, thanks to us; something bad happens, thanks to them.

    For months, the Naya PIA has been blowing itís trumpet over the increase in profits, but it appears that they were not concerned - or not aware - about the pilots with fake licenses.

    Would a serious, credible management of an airline celebrate the increase in profits when its pilots are flying the planes with fake licenses?

    What does this say about the current PIA leadership and the leader who has appointed this leadership in the first place?
    Answer one question: who hired these 200 odd fake pilots? Lets not waffle.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    43,261
    Mentioned
    2026 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owais1 View Post
    It happened because of the aviation minister and he did an excellent job. Would you prefer fake pilots flying around? PIA is desperately in need of an overhaul and this is excellent.
    A certain person writing long novels in favour of fake pilots. He himself is a doctor, would he want his family to see a doctor with fake licence even for flu?


    Mein inko rolaonga

  12. #12
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    174
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owais1 View Post
    It happened because of the aviation minister and he did an excellent job. Would you prefer fake pilots flying around? PIA is desperately in need of an overhaul and this is excellent.
    If this was the strategy, then thatís good and indeed laudable. But I doubt that was the case.

    Anyways, Pakistan needs to sell off these state owned enterprises that are sucking up bigger funds than even the defense budget and havenít performed for decades. The money saved should go to finance Pakistanís education and health infrastructure and place Pakistan at a position to compete competitively.

    But that wonít happen and the current government will continue the old failed policy of ďreform before privatizationĒ mantra which has never worked and will never work and will contour to plunge Pakistan deeper into economic turmoil. The privatization of PTCL provides a wonderful example of the many dividends created when government gets out of the business of being in business.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owais1 View Post
    It happened because of the aviation minister and he did an excellent job. Would you prefer fake pilots flying around? PIA is desperately in need of an overhaul and this is excellent.
    Why is a person with fake degrees charges on him serving as the aviation minister? What reforms can we expect when we are led by a failure like him?

    It amazing to see how the people Imran Khan has unleashed on the public of Pakistan to usher the era of Naya Pakistan.

    It seems that he has gone out of his way to find the worst possible candidate for every position.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    Answer one question: who hired these 200 odd fake pilots? Lets not waffle.
    Didnít I tell you the other day that I am done with listening to rona dhona over previous governments?

    - why did PTI appoint an aviation minister with charges of fake degree?

    - why did it take 2 years and a crash for PTI government to show urgency against these pilots?

    - why did the new management of PIA do bhangra over the increased profits when they had fake pilots flying the planes? Which credible airline management would celebrate profits when it has a fake pilots problem?

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    2,263
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Why is a person with fake degrees charges on him serving as the aviation minister? What reforms can we expect when we are led by a failure like him?

    It amazing to see how the people Imran Khan has unleashed on the public of Pakistan to usher the era of Naya Pakistan.

    It seems that he has gone out of his way to find the worst possible candidate for every position.
    There is no one more incompetent then the Sharifs that you support. Your party has destroyed this country and then you have the audacity to blame others. Have some shame and leave Pakistan.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The European Union’s aviation safety agency announced today that Pakistan’s national airline would not be allowed to fly into Europe for at least six months after the country’s aviation minister revealed that nearly a third of Pakistani pilots had cheated during their pilot’s exams.

    Pakistan International Airlines spokesman Abdullah Hafeez said PIA had not been flying to Europe because of the pandemic. But the airline had hoped to resume its flights to Oslo, Copenhagen, Paris, Barcelona and Milan within the next two months.

    “It is hurting us really bad,” he said of the pilots scandal.

    An inquiry into a 22 May Airbus A320 crash that killed 97 people at the southern port city of Karachi resulted in the revelation that 260 of 860 pilots in Pakistan had cheated during their exams, but were still given licences by the Civil Aviation Authority.

    The government has since fired five officials of the regulatory agency and criminal charges are being considered.

    The European Union Aviation Safety Agency said in a letter announcing the ban that it was “concerned about the validity of the Pakistani pilot licenses and that Pakistan, as the State of operator, is currently not capable to certify and oversee its operators and aircraft in accordance with applicable international standards.”

    PIA has grounded 150 pilots for cheating.

    Hafeez told the Associated Press in a phone interview today that PIA had alerted the Civil Aviation Authority, the Pakistani regulatory body that issues pilots licences, about its concerns over some of the licenses. In 2019, PIA grounded 17 pilots over concerns about their licences after one of its aircraft skidded off a runway in northern Pakistan.

    “The saddest part for PIA is that we had alerted the regulatory agency and the government,” Hafeez said.

    He said the national airline would have a difficult time regaining its reputation and said that more than a decade ago PIA was considered one of the better airlines.

    Aviation experts fear the ban by the EU could affect PIA flights to the UK and Canada because its aircraft will not be able to fly over Europe, forcing longer routes.

    “We have really hit rock bottom I am so sad to say,” said Hafeez.


    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  17. #17
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    2,624
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Am I the only person curious about the licensing system?...1/3 of the pilots flew successfully while unlicensed ...how difficult is it to fly a plane ?

  18. #18
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    19,680
    Mentioned
    497 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Hehe, if ever there was a 6 month period where a ban flying to someplace wouldn't impact a carrier, now is it.

    Though it would hit whatever repatriation flights PIA are undertaking to evacuate stranded Pakistanis out of Europe.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chinaman00 View Post
    And some people were arguing on other threads that Imran Khan’s OBL martyr diatribe had no implications for Pakistan. The EU is taking these actions because of the statement by a Pakistani minister at the Pakistani National Assembly.

    WORDS HAVE CONSEQUENCES!!!

    Pakistanis are very good at own-goals. No wonder the country produces more soccer balls than any other country in the world.
    No corruption has consequences. We have Uncle Tom's telling us that corruption is not a problem and then it leads to innocent people being killed.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Didn’t I tell you the other day that I am done with listening to rona dhona over previous governments?

    - why did PTI appoint an aviation minister with charges of fake degree?

    - why did it take 2 years and a crash for PTI government to show urgency against these pilots?

    - why did the new management of PIA do bhangra over the increased profits when they had fake pilots flying the planes? Which credible airline management would celebrate profits when it has a fake pilots problem?
    Uncle Tom, corruption has consequences. Its not the aviation Minister that hired these crook, they were hired by your crooked friends.

  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaykh View Post
    Am I the only person curious about the licensing system?...1/3 of the pilots flew successfully while unlicensed ...how difficult is it to fly a plane ?
    My understanding is that these people failed theoretical exams but obviously went through the physical/practical training program.

    Theoretical exams are necessary for getting a license but probably not necessary for learning how to fly, which has to do with practical knowledge.

    People around the world can drive even though they arenít even literate enough to read road signs.

    In my opinion, we need a comprehensive study on what percentage of PIA crashes have happened due to pilots with fake licenses.

    If these pilots have shown comprehensive flying capabilities, it would be better to make them sit and study for the exams and get their licenses instead of going through the whole process with a new candidate. That would be costlier and would take more time.

    Funnily enough, someone asked if a fake doctor can treat flu. The answer surprisingly enough is yes. In specialized fields, there is a lot of repetition of tasks and things eventually become routine.

    So a person of above average intelligence can actually learn how to do diagnosis and what medicine to prescribe even if he hasnít studied formal medicine for 5 years.

    If you are a genius, perhaps you can learn to perform tasks that require extreme skill. For example, could a person of Da Vinciís IQ learn to perform a heart surgery? I would say yes, provided that he has observed enough identical heart surgeries performed by trained surgeons.

    Degrees give you a license to work, but they are often not necessary when you have practical experience.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Uncle Tom, corruption has consequences. Its not the aviation Minister that hired these crook, they were hired by your crooked friends.
    And who hired an aviation minister with fake degree?

  23. #23
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    And who hired an aviation minister with fake degree?
    He isn't a pilot and he doesn't maintain planes. He doesn't work for PIA and wasn't hires based on his degree.
    And BTW the allegations were untrue. Unless you fancy challenging it court.
    https://www.dawn.com/news/1475577

  24. #24
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    And who hired an aviation minister with fake degree?
    Another humiliation.

    https://www.dawn.com/news/1475577

  25. #25
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    He isn't a pilot and he doesn't maintain planes. He doesn't work for PIA and wasn't hires based on his degree.
    And BTW the allegations were untrue. Unless you fancy challenging it court.
    https://www.dawn.com/news/1475577
    So it is okay for an aviation minister to have a fake degree because he doesnít fly planes?

    And he was hired based on what?

    Yes allegations are untrue of course. The courts are honest when they give a verdict in PTIís favor but corrupt when they donít.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jan 2017
    Runs
    2,263
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Humiliation is a daily occurance for some.
    Last edited by King-Misbah; 30th June 2020 at 23:36.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King-Misbah View Post
    There is no one more incompetent then the Sharifs that you support. Your party has destroyed this country and then you have the audacity to blame others. Have some shame and leave Pakistan.
    There isn't an FBR equivalent to pay for good living standard outside PK.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    86,569
    Mentioned
    6589 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    So apparently it is not an issue of the aviation minister has a fake degree, because he doesnít fly planes and he wasnít hired because of his degree.

    Imran Khan shares this line of thinking so it is not surprising to see the assortment of idiots & morons that he has collected in his government.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    So it is okay for an aviation minister to have a fake degree because he doesn’t fly planes?

    And he was hired based on what?

    Yes allegations are untrue of course. The courts are honest when they give a verdict in PTI’s favor but corrupt when they don’t.
    Why you looking for a way out. Does he have a fake degree? No, does he fly planes or maintain planes no, did the people that fly the planes have fake degrees, yes. Who said corruption isn't a problem. Go away, your arguments are idiotic even by your standard.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    So apparently it is not an issue of the aviation minister has a fake degree, because he doesn’t fly planes and he wasn’t hired because of his degree.

    Imran Khan shares this line of thinking so it is not surprising to see the assortment of idiots & morons that he has collected in his government.
    He doesn't

    ==============

    Petroleum minister acquitted in fake diploma case

    LAHORE: An anti-corruption court on Thursday acquitted Federal Minister for Petroleum Ghulam Sarwar Khan in a fake diploma case.

    The ACE had in 2012 lodged an FIR against the minister and others under sections 420, 468, 471, 218, 109 of the PPC and under section 5(2) 47 of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1947 on charges of corruption and getting a fake diploma from the Punjab Board of Technical Education.

    Other suspects in the case included PBTE former chairman, secretary and two officials. They were accused of issuing a duplicate diploma unlawfully.

    Mr Khan had taken plea that the case against him was nothing but “political victimisation.”

    The ACE in its previous report filed before the trial court had declared the minister guilty and stated that his indictment had been delayed due to his non-appearance.

    The minister had also got a stay from the LHC against the trial court’s proceedings, which was later withdrawn for repeated adjournment requests filed by his counsel. In its report submitted to the LHC on March 1, the ACE had stated that the diploma possessed by the minister had been found genuine.

    It said the allegations against the minister of having obtained a fake diploma had been found baseless during a thorough inquiry.

    https://www.dawn.com/news/1475577/pe...e-diploma-case
    Last edited by The Viper; 1st July 2020 at 00:01.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    So apparently it is not an issue of the aviation minister has a fake degree, because he doesn’t fly planes and he wasn’t hired because of his degree.

    Imran Khan shares this line of thinking so it is not surprising to see the assortment of idiots & morons that he has collected in his government.
    So back to corruption. Does corruption lead to lives being put at risk or not?

  32. #32
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sialkot
    Runs
    5,439
    Mentioned
    774 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    A certain person writing long novels in favour of fake pilots. He himself is a doctor, would he want his family to see a doctor with fake licence even for flu?
    iirc, He once tried to justify a fake degree holder getting admission in Medical College

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    214
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon

    Trust me, I despise Imran Khan and PTI more than you. I despise every political party in Pakistan, because they feed on the poor, are incompetent and corrupt. Naya Pakistan is a bigger joke than anything in the history of Pakistan.

    However, the aviation minister did a great thing to publically shame PIA. Idc if he did that for political gaines. The fact is that the flying coffins wont be flying anymore and the criminals (fake pilots) are shamed in public.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    76,641
    Mentioned
    1977 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    UK stops PIA flights as well - flights to London, Manchester and Birmingham will be halted immediately following the EU Aviation Safety Agency’s decision to ban PIA for six months.



  35. #35
    Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Mirpur A.K
    Runs
    2,367
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    UK stops PIA flights as well - flights to London, Manchester and Birmingham will be halted immediately following the EU Aviation Safety Agency’s decision to ban PIA for six months.
    Good at least not the leeches of Pia unions wont be able to black mail the government.


    لاا اله الا الله استغفر الله سبحان الله وبحمده سبحان الله العظييم

  36. #36
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    873
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    UK stops PIA flights as well - flights to London, Manchester and Birmingham will be halted immediately following the EU Aviation Safety Agency’s decision to ban PIA for six months.
    Good news for UK Pakistanis and British Airways.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    18,688
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It's time the PIA employees were sacked and then rehire on merit. The damage has been done by the corrupt hiring over decades.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    884
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does Europe involve turkey as well or was there an Ertugul discount?

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    4,576
    Mentioned
    398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    b02e4b7a-e660-409a-81ff-a64698f74dce

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    29,559
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    They are the root of the problem, but this specific own goal is because the fake degree holder, our aviation minister, decided to politicize the problem.

    If PTI were sincere about the PIA reforms, they would do their job quietly without defaming PIA and the country at the international level.

    However, this is a carefully crafted ploy - PTIís political tactic is basically to thrive on noise pollution. By shouting loudly, abusing and throwing insults, they aim to get away with the fact that they are woefully incompetent and cannot walk the talk.

    We all know that PTIís reforms basically make things worse than before. We have seen that in 7 years in KP and we are seeing it now at the federal level, and we will also see it in a few years when PIA would actually reach new lows under their clueless leadership.

    Imran also knows this. He has collected the most unique assortment of inept, dumb gutter-mouths in his team who partake in the ďwho can abuse the mostĒ contest. The better you are at abusing, the more prominent position you will have in the PTI government.

    But this tactic works effectively when it comes to escaping accountability. After PTIís reforms turn PIA into a bigger circus, they will say that it is not our fault because we inherited a mess. But if they get something right by fluke, they will take all the credit.

    This is PTIís modus operandi in every department. You can apply this formula across the board.

    Something good happens, thanks to us; something bad happens, thanks to them.

    For months, the Naya PIA has been blowing itís trumpet over the increase in profits, but it appears that they were not concerned - or not aware - about the pilots with fake licenses.

    Would a serious, credible management of an airline celebrate the increase in profits when its pilots are flying the planes with fake licenses?

    What does this say about the current PIA leadership and the leader who has appointed this leadership in the first place?
    Very well said.


    From fake to suspected fakes this minister has earned international embarrassment for Pakistan. If Imran Khan has any shame he would sack this incompetent minister.


  41. #41
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Queens, NY
    Runs
    1,198
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No one has a problem with sackings, problem is with the airing of our laundry

    what kind of a buffoon publicly talks about a major scandal like this

    I don't think PIA is coming out of this say goodbye to our national airline

    I mean IK went to business conference to attract investment than started talking about ZARDARI A
    and Nawaz Sharif corruption

    I mean where are the brain cells?

  42. #42
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,882
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cric_man View Post
    Mamoon's happiness was short lived.
    EU/UK revises its decision. Mods please update the OP.



    https://arynews.tv/en/eu-flight-operation-pia-easa-uk/
    In yout post,

    However, EASA has granted permission to PIA for operating flights in the countries for a limited period until July 3.

    It seems EASA is allowing it to fly for 2-3 extra days.

    -------------

    No matter what happens, safety shouldn't be sacrificed. It's a good step to not allow fake pilots to fly till issue is looked.
    Last edited by Buffet; 1st July 2020 at 06:49.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  43. #43
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    20,882
    Mentioned
    360 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    No one has a problem with sackings, problem is with the airing of our laundry

    what kind of a buffoon publicly talks about a major scandal like this

    I don't think PIA is coming out of this say goodbye to our national airline

    I mean IK went to business conference to attract investment than started talking about ZARDARI A
    and Nawaz Sharif corruption


    I mean where are the brain cells?
    What purpose that will serve? It's not as if he is in opposition.

    He has been PM for few years now. It's time to stop talking about others and time to pay attention to what he says when dealing with outside world.
    Last edited by Buffet; 1st July 2020 at 06:57.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  44. #44
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Venue
    Seattle, WA
    Runs
    841
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    In yout post,

    However, EASA has granted permission to PIA for operating flights in the countries for a limited period until July 3.

    It seems EASA is allowing it to fly for 2-3 extra days.

    -------------

    No matter what happens, safety shouldn't be sacrificed. It's a good step to not allow fake pilots to fly till issue is looked.
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Did you even read the article that you posted?
    You guys are absolutely correct. In order to troll the troller I didn't read it through. Just looked at the headlines and didn't read through the article.
    Mea Culpa!

  45. #45
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    42,134
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

    UK withdraws PIA permit to operate from Birmingham, London and Manchester airports

    The revelation of pilots holding "dubious" licences continued to take its toll as the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority said it was withdrawing the Pakistan International Airlines' (PIA) permit to operate from three of its airports and the United Arab Emirates sought to verify the credentials of its Pakistani pilots and engineers.

    ďPIA flights from Birmingham, London Heathrow and Manchester airports are suspended with immediate effect,Ē a spokesman for the UK authority told Reuters on Tuesday.

    The three were major flying destinations for the airline.

    Meanwhile, the United Arab Emirates is seeking to verify the credentials of the Pakistani pilots and engineers employed in its airlines after the government grounded 262 pilots for holding ďdubiousĒ qualifications.

    The director general of the UAE's General Civil Aviation Authority Saif Mohammed Al Suwaidi requested the verification of the credentials of Pakistani pilots, aircraft maintenance engineers, and flight operations officers working in the Middle Eastern country in a June 29 letter reviewed by Reuters to Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (PCAA) Director General Hassan Nasir Jamy.

    ďWe would like to request your good offices to verify the licensing credentials of the attached pilots list who are currently holding UAE's pilots licences based on licences and qualifications issued by PCAA,Ē the letter said.

    The aviation ministry did not respond to a request for comment.

    The announcements come on the heels of the European Union Air Safety Agency's (EASA) decision to suspend PIA's operations in the bloc for the next six months.

    https://www.dawn.com/news/1566327/uk...ester-airports


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  46. #46
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    2,748
    Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    Does Europe involve turkey as well or was there an Ertugul discount?
    Turkey is not a part of European Union(EU), so ban doesn’t include Turkey.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    PPP chairperson Bilawal Bhutto-Zardari on Wednesday held the PTI government responsible for the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) being barred from operating flights to European countries, saying the government wants to sell off the national flag carrier's assets based on "lies".

    Addressing a press conference in Lahore, he said PIA's permit to fly to EU countries was suspended because Aviation Minister Ghulam Sarwar Khan had accused its pilots of holding dubious licences "without any evidence".

    "The minister whose own degree is fake ... levelled this type of allegation against our pilots without any evidence [leading to] them being banned across the world. No one has caused this type of damage to PIA in history as this government," he said, referring to Khan.

    Read: PIA banned from flying to EU states for six months

    ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

    Bilawal said government officials failed to realise that pilots are required to sit an exam and renew their licence every six months and they do not necessarily require a degree to operate flights.

    He emphasised that the licence and certification are issued to all pilots by the Civil Aviation Authority.

    "I had warned the [government] on the floor of the parliament that if you don't adopt a policy to control the pandemic, you will be isolated like Sweden and some other countries and your citizens won't be allowed into other countries," he said.

    The PPP leader accused the government of "telling lies such as this" to privatise PIA by taking advantage of the May 22 air crash in Karachi involving the national airline that killed 98 people.

    He said the government wants to sell off PIA's assets to benefit its frontmen including the Roosevelt Hotel owned by the airline in New York, which he said is a profitable property. But even if the government is in favour of privatisation, it cannot sell off PIA in the current economic circumstances, Bilawal added.

    He said the government was targeting pilots even though Pakistani pilots are considered some of the best in the world. "Emirates headhunts PIA pilots [while] Imran Khan's government which itself is selected and fake carries out their character assassination," Bilawal said.

    PIA's latest troubles began after Aviation Minister Khan last week announced the grounding of 262 airline pilots — including 141 from PIA — who were suspected of dodging their exams.

    The revelation caused global concern and on Tuesday, the European Union Air Safety Agency (EASA) suspended PIA's authorisation to operate in the bloc for six months.

    ARTICLE CONTINUES AFTER AD

    This was followed by the United Kingdom Civil Aviation Authority withdrawing the national flag carrier's permit to operate from three of its airports and the United Arab Emirates seeking to verify the credentials of its Pakistani pilots and engineers.

    'Covid-19 curve not flattening'

    Speaking about the Covid-19 situation in the country, Bilawal said the impression being given by some officials that Pakistan's coronavirus curve is flattening is a "blatant lie".

    "Some people who have not read anything about the virus are saying that the curve is flattening; this is a blatant lie," he said while referring to government officials.

    He alleged that the PTI government had "sabotaged" efforts to contain the Covid-19 outbreak from day one and had not taken any steps to mitigate the virus's threat.

    "The worse is yet to come; the curve would only flatten if you had taken steps to flatten it," he said, adding that Covid-19 cases have risen in the country because the government has not made enough efforts.

    Bilawal said Pakistan is grappling with "historical" challenges in the form of the virus outbreak, locusts attacks, a weak economy and monsoon rains but the "instead of making improvements, the PTI is making the situation worse".

    He said he had challenged Prime Minister Imran Khan to a debate on Covid-19 and the economy, but the premier was not ready to face him in the parliament and left after delivering his own speech.

    "His problem is that he is not ready to become the country's PM, he is glad to be the PM of the PTI and their Facebook and Twitter.

    "We need a serious adult who can tackle the serious issues being faced by the country, who can understand what a pandemic is and take steps to deal with it," Bilawal added.

    Clarification on bin Laden

    Bilawal also said Prime Minister Imran has yet to issue a clarification for referring to slain Al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden as "martyred".

    "You said this on the floor of the house under oath, and in the US you say that [American forces] killed him on a tip provided by the ISI," he said, addressing the premier.

    "If Osama bin Laden is a martyr then what is your stance on APS [attack] and operation Zarb-i-Azb?"

    Bilawal added that the prime minister needs to clarify his position because the country is being "defamed" due to the matter.
    Last edited by MenInG; 2nd July 2020 at 15:07.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  48. #48
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Chain reaction.

    PIA/Govt need to bring in an external regulator - a sort of an audit - and publish a report with clear ways of battling this menace or no one will trust us - ever.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  49. #49
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    6,531
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by owais1 View Post
    @Mamoon

    Is this the army's fault as well?
    For a change it is the Air Force's rather than the Army's fault. The CEO of PIA is Air Marshal Arshad Malik. No other major airlines around the world as far as I know has an Air Marshal with no prior commercial experience as CEO.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    6,531
    Mentioned
    453 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaykh View Post
    Am I the only person curious about the licensing system?...1/3 of the pilots flew successfully while unlicensed ...how difficult is it to fly a plane ?
    It is not very difficult to fly a plane, but a throughly trained pilot will make fewer mistakes than one who is not. Also a pilot in an organization that puts an emphasis on professionalism will be less likely to make a mistake.

    Unfortunately, all it takes is one mistake, though in this case it seems unbelievable that such an incredible mistake was made.

    “It’s very unusual in modern transport category aircraft to have a no-gear landing, just because the checklist and the warnings that go off,” Guzzetti said.

    https://www.insurancejournal.com/new.../28/570215.htm

  51. #51
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    8,073
    Mentioned
    387 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is unexpected but could very well be a good thing in the long run.

    I hope PIA cleans up the mess.


    Bangladeshi Fan

  52. #52
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    42,134
    Mentioned
    2199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pakistan takes up suspension of flights to EASA

    ISLAMABAD: Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi on Thursday took up the matter of temporary suspension of Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) flights into the Europe by European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) with his counterpart from Denmark Jeppe Kofod.

    Foreign Minister Qureshi held a video conference with Foreign Minister Jeppe Kofod of Denmark in which, according to Foreign Office, the two sides exchanged views on Covid-19 pandemic, regional situation and other matters of mutual interest.

    It stated that the Foreign Minister conveyed concern on temporary suspension of PIA flights into Denmark as a follow up to EASA's decision. He underlined that all necessary steps were being taken by the government to ensure the highest level of flight safety in PIA operations.


    He said that PIA remained committed to maintaining the highest standards and quality in its operations. The Foreign Minister stressed the need for review of the EASA decision.

    At the outset, the Danish Foreign Minister offered his condolences on the loss of precious lives in the terrorist attack on Pakistan Stock Exchange. The Foreign Minister thanked the Danish Foreign Minister and shared Pakistan's concerns on externally sponsored and financed terrorism against Pakistan.

    Qureshi also briefed the Danish Foreign Minister on the measures being taken by the government of Pakistan to contain the pathogen while safeguarding lives and livelihoods.

    He further commended Denmark's deft handling of the crisis, which had made it the leader in Europe in opening up following lockdowns in the aftermath of the Pandemic. The Foreign Minister expressed hope that Pakistani nationals will not be subjected to any restrictions or discrimination as and when travel restrictions are relaxed by Denmark.

    The two Ministers exchanged views about the socio-economic ramifications of the Pandemic. The Foreign Minister apprised his Danish counterpart of Prime Minister Imran Khan's "Global Initiative on Debt Relief" for developing countries.

    He underscored that coordinated and comprehensive actions were essential to create fiscal space needed by the developing world to deal with the socio-economic impact of Covid-19, and hoped that Denmark would support the Initiative.

    Foreign Minister Qureshi shared deep concern over continuing lockdown in IOJ&K as well as the intensification of military crackdown and extra-judicial killings by Indian occupation forces.

    He denounced India's moves to alter the demographic structure of IOJ&K by introducing new domicile law and granting domicile to 25,000 non-Kashmiris, calling it a clear violation of relevant UN Security Council resolutions and international law, including the 4th Geneva Convention.

    The two foreign ministers also discussed the situation in Afghanistan in the context of recent developments. The Foreign Minister highlighted Pakistan's positive contribution to the U.S.-Taliban direct talks culminating in the Peace Agreement of 29 February 2020.

    He stressed that the Afghan leadership must seize this historic opportunity and work together through intra-Afghan negotiations to achieve a comprehensive and inclusive peace settlement. He reaffirmed that Pakistan would continue to support Afghan-led and Afghan-owned peace process as part of a shared responsibility for durable peace and security in Afghanistan.

    Bilateral trade and investment relations and cooperation in green technologies also came under discussion. In this regard, the Foreign Minister thanked Denmark for its support in securing renewal of GSP Plus status for Pakistan in the European Union.

    The two foreign ministers agreed to remain engaged on all matters of mutual interest. Foreign Minister Qureshi invited the Danish Foreign Minister to visit Pakistan once the corona pandemic subsides, which he accepted with pleasure.

    https://www.brecorder.com/news/40002...lights-to-easa


    Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

  53. #53
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    130,304
    Mentioned
    2533 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    RAWALPINDI: The European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) on Monday wrote a letter to its 32 member countries regarding alleged “fraud related to pilot licences issued in Pakistan” and recommended not to “schedule such pilots” for flight operations.

    The EASA said: “You may be aware of the information available in the public domain indicating that a sizable portion (approximately 40%) of airline pilot licences issued by the Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (PCAA) are either falsified and or otherwise not ICAO compliant.”

    The letter added: “It is a grave concern. As operators could fly to Europe, under a TCO authorisation issued by EASA with pilots holding validated Pakistani licences, we would like to share with you the measures taken by EASA in relation to alleged irregularities on pilot licences issued by Pakistan Civil Aviation Authority (PCAA).”

    The EASA recommended to aviation authorities of the 32 member states to consider the suspension of validations issued against Pakistani licences and notified the recommendation of PCAA.

    CAA suspends commercial flying licences of 34 PIA pilots

    “Should your organisation currently employ pilots holding valid Pakistani licences, we would appreciate it if you could share with us any measures taken or planned in this regard be informed to the EASA,” the agency said in the letter to its member countries.

    The agency’s air operations oversight section recommended to its 32 member countries “not to schedule such pilots for operations performed under your Third Country Operators (TCO) authorisation”.

    Meanwhile, the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) on Tuesday suspended commercial flying licences of 34 PIA pilots after inquiries against them were completed regarding ‘dubious’ licences.

    A letter issued by the CAA additional director licensing informed the PIA’s director flight operations and others concerned that the commercial pilot licences of 34 pilots, including a female pilot, had been suspended.

    The credibility of the CAA and PIA has been on stake after the International Air Transport Association expressed concern over the “serious lapse in the licensing and safety oversight by the aviation regulator”.

    Amid the crisis, the PIA management grounded its 150 (one-third of its) pilots and started relieving them from flight rosters for allegedly possessing ‘dubious licences’, while asking the CAA to urgently provide the list of all those PIA pilots who allegedly had fake/suspicious commercial pilot licences.

    The controversy drew world attention after federal Minister for Aviation Ghulam Sarwar Khan said in the National Assembly that 150 pilots of the national flag carrier had fake licences.

    The aviation minister had also revealed that show-cause notices had been served on 30 pilots and they would also be suspended after completion of an inquiry while their dismissal will be decided by the federal cabinet.

    https://www.dawn.com/news/1567593/ea...-fake-licences


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •