Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

[Report] PCB struggling to find a sponsor for the side ahead of England series

In the much-anticipated series, Pakistan are set to flag off their cricketing scenario by playing three Tests and as many T20Is against England. To curb the risk of COVID-19 transmission, the matches will be played without spectators and the players will be in a biosecure environment during the course of the series. Moreover, the players will brace the field while keeping in mind the interim ICC regulations.

The news of 10 players testing COVID-19 positive had stunned the PCB. However, six out of these players were subsequently tested negative, giving the board a sigh of relief. Meanwhile, a batch of 20 Pakistan players already landed in England, earlier this week, to kick-off their training sessions for the series.

Ahead of the series, one matter of concern for the PCB is to find a sponsor before the matches commence. The Pakistan board is struggling to find a sponsor and only one company showed interest during the bidding process.

PCB’s last sponsorship contract was with a beverage brand which has already expired. The contract expiration was evident after Pakistan players in England were spotted without a sponsor logo on their training kits. The solitary company which had shown interest during the bidding process has valued the deal at only 30 per cent, adding to PCB’s woes.

The COVID-19 pandemic has led to major cricketing boards suffering losses during the absence of international cricket. According to the PCB’s marketing department, the coronavirus outbreak is primarily the reason behind the lack of interest shown by companies. However, the board is hopeful on getting sponsor on board before the England series commences.

Along with the board, getting a sponsorship deal also helps players as they receive around Rs 450,000 in Test matches and Rs 225,000 in One-day Internationals (ODIs) and Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is).

The Azhar Ali-led side will start their red-ball expeditions from August 5 in Manchester, followed by the remaining two games in Southampton, starting on August 13 and 21 respectively. Post the Test series, Pakistan, led by Babar Azam, will lock horns with England in three T20Is in Southampton on August 29, 31 and September 2.

https://www.crictracker.com/pcb-stru...ngland-series/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They should ask Javed Afridi for it.

I’m sure he could help us.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    As a result of this, the kit suppliers are still waiting to finalise the kit for the England series.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sorry state of affairs.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe try PIA? Good people to fly with apparently.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    As a result of this, the kit suppliers are still waiting to finalise the kit for the England series.
    Should ask Coca Cola

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KhanNn View Post
    Should ask Coca Cola
    or tik tok

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Paying some hefty salaries to a marketing team at PCB, yet running around at the last minute for sponsors.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Load of....

If this is how they are running things then they might as well get permission from Adidas to use them as a free sponsor and get their kits manufactured from them. At least we won’t look outdated all the time!

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason is probably the timing of sponsorship deal expiring, as with covid-19 not many companies would be up for sponsorship deals. If PCB is lucky they can get a good enough sponsor otherwise the only option would be to go with sponsors just for the series and hold the signing of the main deal till the end of this year.

The main sponsorship deal is for some years and you dont want to give it to a small company just because you are signing it during a pandemic.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most laziest marketing team, Bangladesh team has much better marketing people than Pak team

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryw View Post
    The most laziest marketing team, Bangladesh team has much better marketing people than Pak team
    According to Rashid Latif, Bangladesh sponsorship deal is lot more than pervious Pepsi deal

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. This is really quite pathetic.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Well at least for first time in my lifetime we’ll see a short sponsor other than a Pepsi Brand (Lays and Gatorade also Pepsi brands)

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How can we expect sponsors when team consists of expired players like Azhar, Shafiq, Sarfraz, Wahab, Imran, Hafeez, Malik...

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they will eventually end up with short term sponsor for this series. Waseem Khan hinted about it in his interview with Ramiz Raja

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I would hold off on criticizing the PCB for now, in the covid-19 world I suspect other boards are going to face the same problems with their sponsors and broadcasters who will tell the boards that they cannot pay them the amounts they previously agreed to due to changing circumstances and a negative economic outlook

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh? How? I am sure people are dying for some entertainment and everyone has been sports deprived. The series will get tons of viewership so I am not sure how they are struggling to find a sponsor. Maybe its the possibility of COVID cancelling the series but I assume they will only pay out for the matches shown.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Naz View Post
    Huh? How? I am sure people are dying for some entertainment and everyone has been sports deprived. The series will get tons of viewership so I am not sure how they are struggling to find a sponsor. Maybe its the possibility of COVID cancelling the series but I assume they will only pay out for the matches shown.
    What they will do with viewership when there is no business and profit.
    Sponsors trying to cut their extra expenses

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Paying some hefty salaries to a marketing team at PCB, yet running around at the last minute for sponsors.
    I won't be surprised if "marketing" people are someone important's cousins or relatives!

That's vintage PCB

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentDevil View Post
    I think they will eventually end up with short term sponsor for this series. Waseem Khan hinted about it in his interview with Ramiz Raja
    Probably, but still doesn't escape from the fact that they are running around at the last minute to grab a deal.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    I would hold off on criticizing the PCB for now, in the covid-19 world I suspect other boards are going to face the same problems with their sponsors and broadcasters who will tell the boards that they cannot pay them the amounts they previously agreed to due to changing circumstances and a negative economic outlook
    Other Boards haven't got a squad in England waiting to play a series.

The only other Board who are in this position, wrapped up sponsorship deals ages ago.

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    572 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Probably, but still doesn't escape from the fact that they are running around at the last minute to grab a deal.
    That's true but the previous sponsorship deal ended at the worst possible time for PCB with not even Pepsi(who have been sponsors since time immemorial) going for an extension or new contract

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am sure some Chinese company would be willing to help them out even if its just to annoy the Indian board.
    Last edited by Saj; 5th July 2020 at 02:37.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Another reason why international cricket needs to be played on a regular basis in Pakistan.

The UAE series saw a number of sponsors sign deals on the cheap as the PCB had no alternatives.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Other Boards haven't got a squad in England waiting to play a series.

The only other Board who are in this position, wrapped up sponsorship deals ages ago.
    Probably they bagged them from Covid 19 epidemic took place.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Another example of the unprecedented professionalism that Mani and Wasim “I left England to help Pakistan” Khan have brought to the table. Why wasn’t this sorted out earlier?

The situation has been clear for months now, so using the pandemic as an excuse doesn’t work.

I also thought sponsors would be making a beeline for PCB now that it is being led by two stalwart administrators from the UK and the entire setup has been revamped to become transparent and professional.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    859 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    How is this PCB's fault?

In Pakistani major cities, bill baord are empty. Companies are no advertising on bill boards anymore. If that could happen, than this is not surprising.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    859 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Another example of the unprecedented professionalism that Mani and Wasim “I left England to help Pakistan” Khan have brought to the table. Why wasn’t this sorted out earlier?

The situation has been clear for months now, so using the pandemic as an excuse doesn’t work.

I also thought sponsors would be making a beeline for PCB now that it is being led by two stalwart administrators from the UK and the entire setup has been revamped to become transparent and professional.
    I would assume that comapnie are trying to negotiate long term contract at cheaper rates. PCB while would be looking for series to series.

Problem is our contract ended at a very bad time, during covid.

No company would have the money or balance sheets to do advertiing currently. Any long term deal made right now will provide benefit to future. THus companies will be careful and PCB also in negotation.

Infact, i think its avery good thing that nothing has been sorted out yet. It shows PCB wants to get a good deal.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    A lot of board went for massive salries cut, but PCB was over confident of managing finances with no layoffs and salaries cut

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    How is this PCB's fault?
    It's their job to get marketing deals, sponsorship deals. If you don't do your job, that's not good enough.

So of course it's their fault.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Seems Sri Lanka cricket which hasnt done that well either in recent times and also effected by Covid-19 is able to get a sponsor....

===

My Cola appointed Official Carbonated Beverage Partners of Sri Lanka Cricket for next three years

A partnership agreement was exchanged between Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) and My Cola Beverages Pvt Limited at a special ceremony held in Colombo on the 1st of July 2020. My Cola coming will be the "Official Carbonated Beverage Partners of Sri Lanka Cricket" for the next three years.

Speaking at the ceremony Secretary of SLC Mohan de Silva said that SLC was happy to have My Cola Beverages, as SLC’s Carbonated Beverage Partner and appreciated My Cola’s passion to be involved in working with Sri Lanka Cricket.

"The timing of this sponsorship also marks a significant moment for the game of cricket, which is gearing up to revive active competition for the benefit of the game and its fans, following the stoppage of all forms of cricket in the recent months, due to the COVID– 19 pandemic, ’’ added De Silva.

My Cola, which is engaged in manufacturing, marketing, distribution and promotion of Carbonated Beverages in Sri Lanka is hoping to cheer up the supporters of Sri Lanka Cricket with its range of offerings including Cola, Orange, Lemon, Berry (fruity), Ginger Beer (MGB), Cream Soda and Plain Soda.

Under the partnership, My Cola Beverages (Pvt) Limited have the right to engage in the sale, distribution, dispensation, and service of Carbonated Beverage to all players, event attendees, officials, guest and VIPs at hospitality enclosures, accredited journalists, media persons and TV crew in all matches, whilst in return, My Cola will make a significant investment towards the promotion of the game of cricket in Sri Lanka.

"It is indeed a significant milestone in our sixteen-year-old history to be appointed the Official Carbonated Beverage Partner of Sri Lanka Cricket which is the only international brand of Sri Lankan origin. We consider it as a just reward for our tireless efforts in the recent past to develop a range of beverages of delightful flavors and quality on par with international brands," added Sharm Fernando(Attorney-At-Law), Executive Director / CEO of My Cola Beverages (Pvt) Limited.

"This strengthens our resolve to continue our pursuit of excellence which will give the consumers a memorable experience just like the great game of cricket. We are proud to partner with Sri Lanka Cricket to give the cricket loving nation a truly Sri Lankan experience exciting cricket and the amazing taste of My Cola beverages," Fernando added.

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_...e_title=224437

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Pakistan View Post
    I am sure some Chinese company would be willing to help them out even if its just to annoy the Indian board.
    Why will the Indian board be annoyed? Are they lacking sponsors?

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The timing sucked for the previous deal to expire. Hopefully as cricket gears up again it'll bring back the sponsors.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    According to Rashid Latif, Bangladesh sponsorship deal is lot more than pervious Pepsi deal
    May be Bangladesh are playing better white ball cricket...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    PCB hopeless in promoting their teams - look at the England tour and practice game - a few silly pics - no details of how the games will be played etc - and then expect sponsors to invest when there is hardly any buzz about the Pakistan side being created by themselves.
    Last edited by MenInG; 5th July 2020 at 16:47.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I believe Babar Hamid is in charge of the PCB Commercial Dept.

Needs to start earning his salary by sorting out some sponsors for the national team.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

I’m sure it will take some years for the set up to be cleaned.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Why will the Indian board be annoyed? Are they lacking sponsors?
    Pak Chine dosti even in cricket would send a signal.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    I’m sure it will take some years for the set up to be cleaned.
    Yes I am sure that in a few years, sponsors will be falling over each other to make a beeline.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    660 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    May be Bangladesh are playing better white ball cricket...
    Yea just got clean swept by Sri Lanka 3-0 in ODIs And 2-0 in T20Is.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    They should maybe look at plan B.

Try to get a UK based, Pakistani business just for this tour. It's better than nothing.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    Maybe try PIA? Good people to fly with apparently.
    A fitting sponsor for a team of Pakistan's calibre.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Seems Sri Lanka cricket which hasnt done that well either in recent times and also effected by Covid-19 is able to get a sponsor....

===

My Cola appointed Official Carbonated Beverage Partners of Sri Lanka Cricket for next three years

A partnership agreement was exchanged between Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) and My Cola Beverages Pvt Limited at a special ceremony held in Colombo on the 1st of July 2020. My Cola coming will be the "Official Carbonated Beverage Partners of Sri Lanka Cricket" for the next three years.

Speaking at the ceremony Secretary of SLC Mohan de Silva said that SLC was happy to have My Cola Beverages, as SLC’s Carbonated Beverage Partner and appreciated My Cola’s passion to be involved in working with Sri Lanka Cricket.

"The timing of this sponsorship also marks a significant moment for the game of cricket, which is gearing up to revive active competition for the benefit of the game and its fans, following the stoppage of all forms of cricket in the recent months, due to the COVID– 19 pandemic, ’’ added De Silva.

My Cola, which is engaged in manufacturing, marketing, distribution and promotion of Carbonated Beverages in Sri Lanka is hoping to cheer up the supporters of Sri Lanka Cricket with its range of offerings including Cola, Orange, Lemon, Berry (fruity), Ginger Beer (MGB), Cream Soda and Plain Soda.

Under the partnership, My Cola Beverages (Pvt) Limited have the right to engage in the sale, distribution, dispensation, and service of Carbonated Beverage to all players, event attendees, officials, guest and VIPs at hospitality enclosures, accredited journalists, media persons and TV crew in all matches, whilst in return, My Cola will make a significant investment towards the promotion of the game of cricket in Sri Lanka.

"It is indeed a significant milestone in our sixteen-year-old history to be appointed the Official Carbonated Beverage Partner of Sri Lanka Cricket which is the only international brand of Sri Lankan origin. We consider it as a just reward for our tireless efforts in the recent past to develop a range of beverages of delightful flavors and quality on par with international brands," added Sharm Fernando(Attorney-At-Law), Executive Director / CEO of My Cola Beverages (Pvt) Limited.

"This strengthens our resolve to continue our pursuit of excellence which will give the consumers a memorable experience just like the great game of cricket. We are proud to partner with Sri Lanka Cricket to give the cricket loving nation a truly Sri Lankan experience exciting cricket and the amazing taste of My Cola beverages," Fernando added.

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_...e_title=224437
    Maybe the Pakistani economy being in the dumps is to blame?

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Is pcb finding it difficult to get sponsors or are the sponsors willing to pay less money than before?

Two very different things.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They should find a sponsor for a 12 month duration and hopefully by then things will be back to norm. Empty real estate on apparel is $0.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Is pcb finding it difficult to get sponsors or are the sponsors willing to pay less money than before?

Two very different things.
    Agreed - this is a carefully thought out process but the fact is that none of the big names in Pakistan have expressed an interest which would be good enough for PCB.

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agreed - this is a carefully thought out process but the fact is that none of the big names in Pakistan have expressed an interest which would be good enough for PCB.
    should carry out without sponsor's if its possible?
    shouldn't lower their standard i guess

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The cricket enthusiast View Post
    should carry out without sponsor's if its possible?
    shouldn't lower their standard i guess
    unless one want to see boom boom bubble gum on your Test outfit

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    What about the new bloke Wasim what has he been doing about it ?

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    250 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In tough times like this, getting sponsors is tough. Pakistan is not the only team that is having a tough time in getting sponsors. ECB lost Specsavers as there principal sponsors a few months ago.

In one of Wasim Khans interview he was saying how they were close to getting sponsors for their domestic teams but then Covid messed it up.
    Businesses are also looking to save money and not go bankrupt. It's just unfortunate that PCB sponsor deal with Pepsi ended at a terrible time.

Just be patient they will come up with getting a sponsor and inshallah a good profitable sponsor

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFresh23 View Post
    In tough times like this, getting sponsors is tough. Pakistan is not the only team that is having a tough time in getting sponsors. ECB lost Specsavers as there principal sponsors a few months ago.

In one of Wasim Khans interview he was saying how they were close to getting sponsors for their domestic teams but then Covid messed it up.
    Businesses are also looking to save money and not go bankrupt. It's just unfortunate that PCB sponsor deal with Pepsi ended at a terrible time.

Just be patient they will come up with getting a sponsor and inshallah a good profitable sponsor
    Major F1 teams like Williams and Haas have lost sponsors. This is just because of the issues caused by the pandemic. Rather than signing a cheap del Wasim Khan is looking for the best option. This will sort itself out before the series gets underway.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Will someone who knows his value is $50 million be willing to be cheapskated and be forced to sign a $5 million deal for the next 5 years. Business requires you to take tough stands.

However my only question right is that is the PCB Marketing department working on over time to find sponsors or implementing new out of the box marketing strategies to develop Team Pakistan's commercial brand or are the people there including in leadership roles just enjoying fat unpressurized salaries? It is unlikely Wasim Khan will tolerate people not delivering and not adding value to the organization for very long and not meeting expectations.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    What about the new bloke Wasim what has he been doing about it ?
    Blaming Covid.

If in doubt, blame Covid.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Will someone who knows his value is $50 million be willing to be cheapskated and be forced to sign a $5 million deal for the next 5 years. Business requires you to take tough stands.

However my only question right is that is the PCB Marketing department working on over time to find sponsors or implementing new out of the box marketing strategies to develop Team Pakistan's commercial brand or are the people there including in leadership roles just enjoying fat unpressurized salaries? It is unlikely Wasim Khan will tolerate people not delivering and not adding value to the organization for very long and not meeting expectations.
    Your value is what the market values you at that point in time.

At this point in time all sponsors who sign a new deal, will ask the board to take a cut.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Blaming Covid.

Just to elaborate.

3 deals fell through due to PCB's demands. 2 were Pakistani companies and 1 overseas.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to elaborate.

3 deals fell through due to PCB's demands. 2 were Pakistani companies and 1 overseas.
    I guess we have to see if the demands were justified or not and whether it was a temporary deal or for the full sponsorship tenure.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1781 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Just to elaborate.

Every board will be taking a cut. BCCI too have a new sponsorship deal coming up for renewal and the too expect a lesser value.

aaj mujh ko bahut burā kah kar
    aap ne naam to liyā merā
    -----Jaun Eliya

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    TX
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The cricket enthusiast View Post
    unless one want to see boom boom bubble gum on your Test outfit
    If boom boom bubble gum pays the most then rightly so...

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6645 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Blaming Covid.

That is the strategy of the government and also the PCB by extension.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What will happen if they can't find a sponsor?

I am a bit surprised actually.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Your value is what the market values you at that point in time.

At this point in time all sponsors who sign a new deal, will ask the board to take a cut.
    The Pakistani sports Channels combined put a combined bid of $5-6 million for the PSL second time broadcasting, but the PCB stuck to its guns and shopped around until someone came and offered $36 million.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) is feeling the financial impact of the COVID-19 pandemic as it has failed to find a main sponsor for the national team which is presently in England.

A well-placed source in the PCB said that negotiations were continuing with the one multi-national beverage company, which had shown interest in signing a new team logo sponsorship deal but had offered an amount far below the expectations of the board’s marketing pundits.

“The PCB’s deal with the beverage company expired recently and the board invited fresh bids for the national team’s main logo sponsorship deal but no one submitted any bids except for the same beverage company,” the source said.

He said the company had offered only 35 to 40 percent of the amount it had earlier paid to the board in their last contract.

“It is a problem but negotiations are still on but it is becoming clear that the coronavirus outbreak has even hit the multinational companies badly,” he said.

The PCB’s marketing department has also failed to find sponsors for its revised domestic structure and for the second season running it has been forced to bear all expenses of the 12 provincial teams in the division one and two competitions.

The PCB is expected to spend millions of rupees on its domestic season.

It is also facing problems finding a new broadcaster to buy the rights of Pakistan’s international home series after its four-year deal with Ten Sports expired recently.

“The situation is not very good and things will only improve once this Covid-19 pandemic ends and the market gains confidence,” a marketing analyst said.

The PCB is hopeful that they will get a sponsor on board before the beginning of the England series because if they don’t find a new team sponsor, it will also badly hit the earnings of the players who get roughly 75 percent of the total annual amount received by the board from the main team sponsors.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...05478.ece/amp/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2565 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Almost four months after a One-day International between Australia and New Zealand at an empty stadium in Sydney, international cricket restarts in Southampton on Wednesday with the England-West Indies Test series.

Live football is back but cricket stays the most watched sport in India. According to a 2019 report by the Broadcast Audience Research Council, cricket got 58 per cent of viewing minutes of live broadcast across sports channels. So it fits that advertisers and sponsors would welcome resumption even if it is behind closed doors.

The three-Test series in England already has three co-presenting sponsors, six associate sponsors and two more companies who have bought ad spots for the India broadcast. More are in the works.

“We Indians love cricket and live cricket is coming back after 120 days. There is already a massive interest around the series and advertisers are also responding to it very positively,” says Rohit Gupta CRO - Ad Sales and International Business, Sony Pictures Networks India, the official broadcasters.

What’s unusual is that this is for a series that does not involve India. Sony bought the media rights from England cricket board for five years (2018-22) for an undisclosed sum but the majority of its value would be for the three India tours during this period. “For every India match overseas, it’s estimated an Indian broadcaster pays $5 million. Non-India cricket comes practically free,” says a leading industry executive who did not wish to be named.

Among series that don’t involve India, Ashes is the most attractive property. Sony holds the rights for cricket in England and Australia. “For non-India cricket we haven’t seen anything like this in the past and this is even better than what we get for the Ashes series,” says Gupta.

With no clarity on when cricket - the cash-rich Indian Premier League included - will start in India and the Virat Kohli’s team not scheduled to travel to Australia before December, two months of non-stop international action in England (the West Indies tour will be followed by Pakistan) has led to a spike in interest.

Also, for fantasy gaming platforms live cricket is good news. “Both the West Indies and Pakistan series in England provides us visibility. So, we will look to extend our association for both,” says Avik Kanungo, Director - Brand & Marketing Strategy at Games24x7, whose My11Circle is one of the co-presenting sponsors for the series. “We have seen in the past, even for non-India matches, the interest in fantasy gaming is very good. We will have participants engaging with our brand ambassador Sourav Ganguly who will be picking his own fantasy team.”

https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...hXfTKr9PO.html

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A well-placed source in the PCB said that negotiations were continuing with the one multi-national beverage company, which had shown interest in signing a new team logo sponsorship deal but had offered an amount far below the expectations of the board’s marketing pundits.

“The PCB’s deal with the beverage company expired recently and the board invited fresh bids for the national team’s main logo sponsorship deal but no one submitted any bids except for the same beverage company,” the source said.

He said the company had offered only 35 to 40 percent of the amount it had earlier paid to the board in their last contract.

“It is a problem but negotiations are still on but it is becoming clear that the coronavirus outbreak has even hit the multinational companies badly,” he said.
    If thats the case I think PCB should delay the main sponsorship decision for few months as marketing budgets are not gonna remain as low as they are current environment. In the mean time they have to do with series by series sponsors. Not to forget ICC has allowed one big front logo for tests as well if I am not wrong during this time.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just to elaborate.

Embarrassing stuff if true.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    What will happen if they can't find a sponsor?

I am a bit surprised actually.
    The kits will have no logos.
    The PCB will lose out on much-needed revenue.
    A few harsh lessons will hopefully be learnt by PCB.
    Last edited by Saj; 7th July 2020 at 22:33.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Pepsi have made an offer but it's much less than the previous deal.

The ball is in PCB's court now as to whether they accept Pepsi's offer or hope someone else comes up with a better deal.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does anyone know how long Pepsi and Pakistan cricket had thier deal like when did they originally get the sponsorship deal with Pepsi it seems like forever Pepsi logo has been on Pakistan jerseys can't imagine seeing something else

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Pepsi have made an offer but it's much less than the previous deal.

The ball is in PCB's court now as to whether they accept Pepsi's offer or hope someone else comes up with a better deal.
    So you want the PCB to accept a loss making deal rather to go out there and search for a profitable one?

Debut
    Mar 2009
    Venue
    UK England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you want the PCB to accept a loss making deal rather to go out there and search for a profitable one?
    He is not saying that. We are 3 weeks away from
    The first match and we do not even have a sponsor. PCB have had months to go out there and search and find a ‘profitable’ sponsor and now they in a situation where we have nothing.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get Butt Murgh Chunnay to sponsor lol

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    As far as I am aware, £1 is better than £0

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    424 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    As far as I am aware, £1 is better than £0
    Actually, its about the long term picture. Accept a low ball offer now, future sponsors will do the same. I fully support the PCB in waiting for the right offer and playing it out. That is how it got $36 million for the PSL after the Pakistani combined broad casters were only offering $5 million in total which was much less than what the PCB got for the first PSL seasons i.e. $10 million.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Actually, its about the long term picture. Accept a low ball offer now, future sponsors will do the same. I fully support the PCB in waiting for the right offer and playing it out. That is how it got $36 million for the PSL after the Pakistani combined broad casters were only offering $5 million in total which was much less than what the PCB got for the first PSL seasons i.e. $10 million.
    A short term deal just for the England series is better than no deal at all.

Given the circumstances, every deal does not have to be long term.
    Last edited by Saj; 8th July 2020 at 01:12.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Ireland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they decide not to accept a deal before the series maybe they could just use the opportunity to have a Charity organisation on their kit to promote them like Shahid Afridi foundation, Edhi, etc.
    Much better than having a blank white shirt

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkut fan View Post
    If they decide not to accept a deal before the series maybe they could just use the opportunity to have a Charity organisation on their kit to promote them like Shahid Afridi foundation, Edhi, etc.
    Absolutely. Great suggestion.

If they can get some commercial sponsorship for a limited time which I think they might even then I think Pakistan has some great charitable organizations which are doing wonderful work and having a place for them in the kit even when filled with sponsors going forward is something which definitely can be done.

If ICC can allow sponsorship at the front for tests to make up for some financial losses then definitely there shouldn't be any restrictions having small logos of welfare and charitable organizations as well outside the max number of sponsorship logos.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Blaming Covid.

He has achieved naff all and made some extremely strange decisions since his hiring.

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkut fan View Post
    I was thinking about this today.

It would be a great initiative.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If sponsorship negotiations are falling through as a result of sponsors no longer having the finances to meet the PCB's target contract amounts due to Covid-19, it is pretty stupid to start blaming Wasim Khan. Do you want the PCB to short-sell the main revenue generating avenue for the national sport for a quick buck?

Granted, that a short-term deal should have been signed by now with a sponsor to at least have something rather than nothing, but it's foolish to make callous remarks without knowing the full facts. Besides, it's human nature to be risk-averse, so not surprising at all, if the PCB aren't accepting a deal if it's a lowball offer.

Politics trumps intelligence (pun intended).