May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Artificial crowd noise - Should it be used for our Test matches in the UAE?

Watching the WI vs England Test match I couldnít help but notice that the crowd noise is actually a pretty neat addition. It isnít annoying and it adds some atmosphere.

Our test matches in the UAE are played as if in a state of permanent quarantine. The artificial noise might not be a bad idea to implement during them, even after COVID. Thoughts?

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm calling it, we will never play a test in UAE again it'll all in Pakistan now.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate the artificial crowd noise. They done the same thing with football and it feels so fake, like a badly designed, out of sync computer game.
    If they could get crowd reactions to sync up with actual events on screen it wouldn't be as bad but right now it's torture.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaka81 View Post
    I hate the artificial crowd noise. They done the same thing with football and it feels so fake, like a badly designed, out of sync computer game.
    If they could get crowd reactions to sync up with actual events on screen it wouldn't be as bad but right now it's torture.
    Dead silence just feels worse to me

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its not in the ground you cant hear it there. The broadcasters are only using it on TV

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    558 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omer2002 View Post
    Its not in the ground you cant hear it there. The broadcasters are only using it on TV
    I know

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There shouldnt be test matches in UAE, period.

Teams should travel to Pakistan and there is no factual or statistical reason not to do so. Its as safe as any other place in the world now.

If there is still something to be played in UAE, I dont see a it be anything more than a handful series so I dont mind crowd noise or not personally.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nah. Seems extremely unnatural.

Watched PL games like that and it felt quite weird.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We should play in Pakistan only. Why go back to UAE!!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    I agree with this.

On topic, please no more Tests in UAE.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Nah fake excitement from a fake crowd about 30 seconds after something "interesting" has happened is far worse.

You can almost sense the person controlling the sounds contemplating, is this worthy of a crowd reaction, does it need the generic slightly annoyed, inappropriately measured joyous or random chanting crowd noise option.

I'd rather they just stuck with only the sounds from the players and coaches or just add some music so it feels even more like a video game!

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post
    I agree with this.

On topic, please no more Tests in UAE.
    Back on topic I agree no more Test matches in UAE!

For Pakistan home Test series, play in Pakistan or concede defeat and compensate for lost revenue!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Seems England missing that roar of crowd to gee them up?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I like it.

Has half-rescued sports worldwide in the current pandemic.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2320 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The slight hum improves the broadcast experience from my point of view. It’s fairly subtle which is good.

Deathly silence and hearing the players’ loud voices echoing just sounds weird.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Seems going a little overboard with that in IPL?

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    T20 would look rather odd without crowd noise.

I actually absolutely loved the silence in England tests. The sound of bat hitting the ball felt.like music to my ears.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ok this is weird now

Dhol nagaras and fake Pollard Pollard chants lmao WTH

Debut
    Mar 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cricket is poor. Look at how Baseball is broadcasting. I can't even tell that we are in pandemic.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    √É‚Äįire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Can the BCCI please fire whoever thought it was a good idea to have the stadium announce repeat "aaannnd thats fourrr""" every single boundary.

No fans being present doesn't mean I've become a troglodyte who's lost the most basic grasp of crickets rules. I dont need some synthisised voice announcer telling me "aaannnd thats out" as the stumps go flying. Its an absolutely baffling decision because it just draws even more attention to the fact there's no crowd at all, it literally makes it worse, this doesn't exist nor does it need to in normal times. Scrap it ASAP.

I'm no fan of the IPL but I'll probably view the highlights packages since there's literally no other cricket on but my word I'll avoid it like the plague if this"feature" remains.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Donal Cozzie View Post
    Can the BCCI please fire whoever thought it was a good idea to have the stadium announce repeat "aaannnd thats fourrr""" every single boundary.

No fans being present doesn't mean I've become a troglodyte who's lost the most basic grasp of crickets rules. I dont need some synthisised voice announcer telling me "aaannnd thats out" as the stumps go flying. Its an absolutely baffling decision because it just draws even more attention to the fact there's no crowd at all, it literally makes it worse, this doesn't exist nor does it need to in normal times. Scrap it ASAP.

I'm no fan of the IPL but I'll probably view the highlights packages since there's literally no other cricket on but my word I'll avoid it like the plague if this"feature" remains.
    BCCI has gone two layers deep with this one. It's a spectacle within a spectacle

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I still cannot get over the fake Pollard Pollard chants

If i was Pollard batting in the middle, I would lose my concentration laughing at that. Credit to professionalism for keeping it real.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not just Pollard, CROWD was chanting Dhoni Dhoni as well...

A very weird feature, I hope they get rid of it

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    oh god another test in uae?

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes. I like this idea.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    I still cannot get over the fake Pollard Pollard chants

If i was Pollard batting in the middle, I would lose my concentration laughing at that. Credit to professionalism for keeping it real.
    Wait - the players can hear it too?

I thought it was just for TV.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3068 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Didn't know players also hear that, thought it was only for viewers..

subhan allh walhamdullh w la ailh ailaa allh w allh aakbar
    Loose Cannons CC | PPCL 2020 Season 1 FC CHAMPIONS | #CannonsFire

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4726 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smbhayi View Post
    Didn't know players also hear that, thought it was only for viewers..
    KP out LBW looking for slog sweep vs left arm spin anything for an IPL contract, this bloke would sell his nationalistic pride for it!

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Venue
    √É‚Äįire
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Highlights of today's game were actually watchable. I take it the announcer was fired, proper order lol.

Still needs tweaking, some of the sounds and polite clapping I noted are more reminiscent of seeing Luke Donald nail a five footer to par the 12th as opposed to a cut shot for four.

See You Space Cowboy....

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    KP out LBW looking for slog sweep vs left arm spin anything for an IPL contract, this bloke would sell his nationalistic pride for it!
    He doesn't hold any nationalistic pride. Never did.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No noise is better than artificial noise.

I don't think most cricket fans care about noise. It is all about the quality of the game.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    No noise is better than artificial noise.

I don't think most cricket fans care about noise. It is all about the quality of the game.
    That's true for international and even county cricket. For leagues like these you need things like crowd, noise, celebrities, cheerleaders to cover up low quality cricket presented on the field.

Tum mujhe bhaga sako aisa ho nahi sakta aur tum mere begair bhaago yeh main hone nahi dunga - Viru

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fake crowd fits IPL well and though we know its not real, it almost gives the feeling in tele that crowd is cheering your team. Considering everything going virtual in today's world, why not crowds?

However, as someone mentioned above...I would not want fake crowd in test cricket though.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really not a fan of this artificial crowd noise. It's even worse than the football. Everything is out of sync, random chants and terrible music just makes it all seem like a low quality video game.
    Although it's quite funny when the "crowd" cheers like mad at the wrong time or doesn't react at all when a four is hit or a wicket is taken and then cheers 20 seconds later!

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    Surrey
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This background noise played between the test series in england was that of the cricket game Ashes 2009, i had it on PS3 back then.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Timing of noise is shocking.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wonder if Machine Learning/AI can be used to improve the reaction time, and automate it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2658 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    One of the biggest talking point of the Indian Premier League’s (IPL) ongoing edition is the crowd sound that’s introduced into the broadcast to make up for the empty stands due to the pandemic. Admitting it was one of the biggest challenge the broadcasting crew faced ahead of the tournament, Sanjog Gupta, Star India’s newly appointed Head - Sports, was pleased with the manner in which his team has tackled the issue.

“The (biggest) challenge was: how do you design IPL viewing experience in such a way that it doesn’t look like a compromised version of previous editions of IPL. The last thing that we would want is for a viewer to log on to IPL and say: “yaar, isme woh baat nahi hai (something’s missing here)”,” Gupta told Sportstar from a biosecure bubble his organisation has created for 450 employees in Mumbai, in addition to 300 personnel in UAE. “We would like to believe that we have overcome in mounting this IPL.”

Just like cricketers, even sound engineers, appeared to have taken some time to get into groove as far as adjusting decibel levels of the crowd chants. According to Gupta, not only did the broadcaster create a library of sounds based on the team, the players and the situation, it even introduced an audio producer to take care of the sound.

“The sync between the striker - the audio engineer who pumps the sound - and the non-striker that’s audio producer was a problem. The second problem we tackled was at times, when a ball is hit in the air, you don’t know whether it’s going for a six or into hands of a fielder. So we created an additional feed only for the sound engineer where he could see the entire field,” Gupta said.

“When the ball goes in the air, he knows before anyone else whether there’s a fielder coming under it, so he curates the sound accordingly. These were some of the learnings over the first three weeks where we evolved the sound to really suit the situation.”

With two of its top honchos suddenly exiting the set-up, Gupta has been elevated as the Head of Sports in the middle of the IPL. Besides dealing with the pandemic, he would also have to figure out a way to devise a strategy in dealing with renewing the broadcast rights cycle for the Indian Premier League and the International Cricket Council (ICC). Gupta played safe when asked about whether he foresees correction in the bid amount for the forthcoming cycle.

“It’s too early to say and this is a conversation we should have once the IPL is over because in the middle of IPL, it’s not appropriate to discuss this but I am happy to have this conversation once the tournament is over. It’ll be unfair for the Board, our partners for me to comment on when the tournament is on,” he said.

With the financial challenges across industries as a fallout of the COVID-19 outbreak, uncertainty lingers over the Indian sport scenario. In fact, there are fears that it may have caused to irreparable damage to non-cricket franchise-based leagues in India. While Gupta said it will have “massive impact”, he didn’t see it as an insurmountable challenge.

“Massive impact, for sure. It’s at different levels. The great thing is the bullishness on sport continues to be there, which is seen in our partnership in conducting the ISL with Reliance, as FSDL, which will start on November 21. That is in my opinion would be as challenging and as big a collective endeavour as the IPL is,” he said.

“It just goes to show the commitment that certain organisations including Star and Reliance have towards sport in India. Till the time we are committed… it’s not going to be a permanent impact but there’ll have to be an acknowledgement that the ecosystem has been disrupted at various levels. It will have far-reaching impact. Having said that, if organisations are committed to sport, which a lot of organisations are, it is not an insurmountable challenge.

“It is a challenge which should be taken head on and there’s no reason to believe that we will have necessarily gone too far back into the past as far the progress we had made is concerned. We can pick up from where we left, at least the leagues which were growing than continue on that trajectory with the right impetus and the right intent behind them. I think the sports ecosystem in general will have to re-calibrate in response to this shock to the system. It will definitely have an impact but I don’t think it’s an insurmountable challenge.”

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le32864984.ece

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Wait - the players can hear it too?

I thought it was just for TV.
    In the IPL the fake crowd noise is actually played through the speakers rather than added by the broadcast team, so the players can actually hear the fake crowd noise, could be slightly off putting if the wrong button is pressed. im of the opinion they turn the stump mics right up and let us hear whats going on in the field.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    489 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I personally have enjoyed the noise and claps from teams’ dressing rooms in national T20 and even when Pak toured Eng much more than artificial noise.