Which team has historically won/lost most nail biters in ODIs | How does your team fare in them?

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Which team has historically won/lost most nail biters in ODIs | How does your team fare in them?

I don't know the answer but i always wanted to know.

Not easy to track.

I can recall India losing a lot of nail biters but also winning a few. I reckon we were very much on the negative side of the record but Dhoni, Yuvraj, Kohli, Raina era might have balanced that a bit.

Nail biters are special matches.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is an interesting analysis because it's a skill of a different level altogether to win these nail-biters.

Not all teams are great at them. South Africa is one example.

NZ is actually reasonable good at them.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Bangladesh, England I reckon are very poor at them.

West Indies are good. They hold their nerves well. These are the moments their players are literally built for. When they take a match all the way down to this point, they are more likely to win because if how well they absorb pressure.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You can probably do a statistical analysis by singling out games as follows:

-games with last wicket falling between in the 50th over with low run margins
    -games successfully chased between 49.3 and 49.6
    -games chased for the last wicket / second last wicket

Obviously this doesn’t encapsulate all nail biters but if someone is good enough with stats guru i would love to see the results

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The most memorable ODI games are when a team performs very poorly in first innings and is considered almost out of the game at either halfway/three quarter way and then comes back to win in the last stretch.

This mostly happens when teams score under par in first inns and then defend total through amazing spells/relentless pressure. E.g. almost every 3rd Pak game at Sharjah in 90s.

The reverse where a team chases an extremely high target is more rarer. Eg. SA 434 or India natwest final chase, Faulkner chases vs India/Eng

Pak are definitely kings of the defending nailbiter.
    Chasing nailbiter every team has few memorable moments - NZ had a handful of great chases against Aus; Bevan, Hussey, Faulkner have given Aus many memorable finishes. Maybe Aus shades this.