Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

"Sarfaraz Ahmedís presence creates an atmosphere of competition" : Mohammad Rizwan

Derby: Wicket-keeper batsman Mohammad Rizwan has affirmed that he feels no pressure due to former Pakistan captain Sarfaraz Ahmedís presence in the team.

Rizwan and Sarfaraz are in the 29-member squad for the tour of England. Due to a long tour, the selection committee decided to select both of them.

ďSarfaraz Ahmedís presence creates an atmosphere of competition between both of us. I feel no pressure due to him being in the side,Ē Rizwan said while talking to reporters from Derby.

ďThereís always two-wicket keepers whenever the team is traveling on a big tour. I am myself a big fan of Sarfaraz and try to learn from him as much I can,Ē he added.

The 28-year-old emphasized the importance of having a permanent batting spot but at the higher level, playing and performing at any number should matter the most.

ďWicket-keeper batsman has to be on his toes if the situation demands to bat up or lower down the order. Itís a different kind of job, however, I am ready to bat at any position for my team,Ē he maintained.

Rizwan hailed the facilities provided by the English and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) as they are here to train and focus on cricket. ďIn these difficult times of COVID-19, best facilities are being provided in England. If a player wants to put extra effort at nets, he can do it at any time,Ē he added.

Rizwan revealed that he doesnít use any social media platforms, accept from Whatsapp which is a text and voice messaging app. ďI donít use social media accept from Whatsapp, whether I am on the tour or not. So, I donít know about the criticism I received on it,Ē he added.

It must be noted that Rizwan played two unbeaten knocks in the first intra-squad practice match where he scored 54 and 100 not-out.

Pakistan will play three matches Test series against England from August 5. Green shirts will play three T20Is on August 28, 30 and September 1, respectively.

https://arysports.tv/no-pressure-due...n-team-rizwan/

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no competition, Rizwan is miles ahead.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The lack of good competition creates complacency and its one of the reasons both Kami and Sarfraz fell away. This dual between the 2 is great news for PK cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Competition????

Rizwan is No.1 in all formats. There's no 2nd choice, Sarfaraz is there to warm the bench and Rohail Nazir has time on his hands.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Atmosphere of competition? Where? On a dining table?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeymurBlake View Post
    Competition????

Rizwan is No.1 in all formats. There's no 2nd choice, Sarfaraz is there to warm the bench and Rohail Nazir has time on his hands.
    Rizwan is rubbish in T20s. Sarfaraz is better but not good enough to disrupt the consistency and select him over Rizwan.

We need a good limited overs keeper (in terms of batting). Even in ODIs, Rizwan cannot bat below 5 which could become problematic for us as we don’t have finishers and our keeper should normally bat at 6/7.

Unfortunately Rohail looks exactly in the same mould. Could go on to be a very good Test batsman but does not have the game for limited overs.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competition????

Do you not understand? It's a common sports term. When two players are in one position, like these two WK, it inspires both of them to try their best and hardest to retain their spot. Yes Rizwan is way better, but just having a backups presence there will prevent him from getting complacent.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    This is what shouldve happened with the likes of azhar and shafiq A backup or two shouldve aways been around and picked for a few test here and there

This wouldve made them strive for better and prevented the current situation with them being compacent

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Competition????

Not in t20s but agree with tests and odis

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    Rizwan is rubbish in T20s. Sarfaraz is better but not good enough to disrupt the consistency and select him over Rizwan.

We need a good limited overs keeper (in terms of batting). Even in ODIs, Rizwan cannot bat below 5 which could become problematic for us as we don’t have finishers and our keeper should normally bat at 6/7.

Unfortunately Rohail looks exactly in the same mould. Could go on to be a very good Test batsman but does not have the game for limited overs.
    I agree rizwan isnt that good in t20s.mohammed harris is good batsman he can give it a wack.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why everyone is getting cheesed because he said there's competition. What did you want him to say?

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2257 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I am a fan of Sarfaraz Ahmed, no added pressure due to presence of ex-captain: Wicketkeeper-batsman Rizwan

Former Pakistan all-format captain Sarfaraz Ahmed is making a comeback in the national squad after being dropped from the team's Australia tour last year. However, he has been named as the second choice wicketkeeper-batsman for the England series, behind 28-year-old Mohammad Rizwan, who has has featured in 6 Test matches till date.

Pakistan players are already in England for almost a month now and have also played an intra-squad match where Mohammad Rizwan shined with an unbeaten fifty in the first innings and then a scintillating unbeaten hundred in the second. Sarfaraz Ahmed on the contrary got dismissed cheaply for just 5 runs in the first innings and finished on an unbeaten 19 in his second outing.

Recently, Mohammad Rizwan downplayed the question on any sort of competition with the former captain for a place in the playing eleven, saying that he was a fan of Sarfaraz Ahmed. The Peshawar-born added that he has nothing but respect for Sarfaraz in his heart.

"I am a fan of Sarfaraz and have a lot of love in my heart for him. There is no added pressure on me due to his presence. He's my senior and I am learning a lot from him," Rizwan said.

Like a true team man, Rizwan said that his only goal was to perform well and win matches for Pakistan. Rizwan. who has 225 Test runs at an average of 32.14, added that a healthy competition will ultimately benefit the players and it's up to the team management do decide who features in the playing eleven.

"Healthy competition between players eventually benefits the team. Doesn’t matter whoever plays, the goal is to perform and win games for Pakistan. I am confident in my abilities and will perform whenever given an opportunity. Whoever the team management deems fit, will be in the playing XI.

"My confidence has improved after performing in the intra-squad practice matches, which will help me in the upcoming Test series. It is always pleasing to score a century. I am ready to bat at any position in the batting order the team requires. All the batsmen are in good form and are confident ahead of the series," Mohammad Rizwan stated.

Earlier, Sarfaraz Ahmed had said that he won't mind if Rizwan plays ahead of him in England as he was currently the better performing player amongst the two. Sarfaraz had added that he would wait for his turn and grab the opportunity with both the hands when the time comes.

"Even if you recall the time in 1992 and 1996, it was between Moin Khan and Rashid Latif, both coming ahead of each other at different times. So right now Rizwan is playing well for the team and obviously, he is the first choice and I am the back-up.

"It's not odd at all if your partner is doing well and keeping you out. Obviously I made mistakes which is why I am out, but now I am back in contention and with the team so that is what I am focusing on. What is important for me is that I am also there and will prepare accordingly. I will definitely grab the opportunity and wait for my chance to do well for myself and for the team."

https://www.indiatoday.in/sports/cri...646-2020-07-23

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Not much competition really.

Sarfaraz seems to be past his best these days. He's lost weight to prove people wrong but he's not the player he was.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    732 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zeeshan Ashraf is the answer for LOIs. He should have been in England in place of Sarfaraz who is only selected to keep the Karachi media quiet.

We won't cross 150-160 in T20s with present squad. Misbah has played this well.

Debut
    Dec 2004
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes, biryani eating competition

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Yes, biryani eating competition
    That's the only competition Sarfraz can beat Rizwan in

Does cricket survive off of it's money or does it survive for it's money?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Zeeshan Ashraf is the answer for LOIs. He should have been in England in place of Sarfaraz who is only selected to keep the Karachi media quiet.

Zeeshan Ashraf seemed decent but he hasn’t done enough to be selected. He needs to play a few more innings of substance and show what he’s capable of. Until then, we’ll have to stick with Rizwan unfortunately. His coming in at 4 does more harm then good but it’s the highest he can bat and we cannot push him down the order either.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The points isn't who is better, but that there is someone else who can very well take Rizwan's position in the team if he doesn't perform. In fact, going in to the practice games, there wasn't a runaway WK favorite for who would've started the series.

Pakistan team doesn't have enough competition, particularly for the senior players. Think of what it would do to players like Hafeez, Malik, Asad, Yasir if they knew there was even a small chance they could be dropped. Instead, senior players know their positions in guaranteed, and they take it for granted.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muhammed Harris is one batesman if developed can be a decent power hitter

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Rizwan is more than good enough in T20I. If he's good with the gloves then its fine, other than that Rizwan at No.4 in T20I is fine.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Do you not understand? It's a common sports term. When two players are in one position, like these two WK, it inspires both of them to try their best and hardest to retain their spot. Yes Rizwan is way better, but just having a backups presence there will prevent him from getting complacent.
    I do understand.

There's nothing wrong with competition for places, the issue is which you didn't fully get is Sarfaraz Ahmed is not good enough to be second choice whatsoever and his form has been poor. Last time he played cricket was in PSL this year and he was really inconsistent.

There's no choice in mentioning second choice when there are none available. Rohail is still young but has potential, whether we provide him with right coaching and grooming, has a few good domestic seasons under his belt then we'll see where's he at. Other than him, the rest fail to impress, with lack of shot selection, lack of fitness or lack of consistency.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Not much competition really.

Sarfaraz seems to be past his best these days. He's lost weight to prove people wrong but he's not the player he was.
    Maybe they have an optimum weight for their best performances, and losing it means a loss of power. Remember Inzi in 2003 WC?

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Not in t20s but agree with tests and odis
    We really don't have any other choices, to be fair. The reason I said all formats is because I don't see anyone capable of coming in and performing consistently.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Neither is a good T20 WK/Bat. They need to develop Zeeshan from Multan for that role.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is such a forced senior culture in the dressing room. Rizwan is definitely disproportionately talking up the guy who is his understudy right now.

It's strange that you're a 'big fan' and try to learn from the guy who got dropped from the team because of you lol.
    Last edited by hitthestump; 24th July 2020 at 00:08.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    There is such a forced senior culture in the dressing room. Rizwan is definitely disproportionately talking up the guy who is his understudy right now.

It's strange that you're a 'big fan' and try to learn from the guy who got dropped from the team because of you lol.
    Sarfaraz is also a former captain, bought Pakistan their best tournament victory since 1992 against a rampaging India, kept well throughout his career and was an incredible test batsmen during his peak. So it’s not like he’s praising a nobody here.

Any young keeper should look up to Sarfaraz who’s the best keeper batsmen we’ve had for the past two decades. Its a shame Kami wasted a few of his years due to his connections.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rizwan is more than good enough in T20I. If he's good with the gloves then its fine, other than that Rizwan at No.4 in T20I is fine.
    Depends what your definition of ‘fine’ is. Rizwan will struggle to play regular innings above 120 strike rate. That’s an issue for any player in a T20s lineup let alone the number 4.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    The mediocrity of Sarfraz shouldn't blind anyone to the deficiencies of Rizwan in the white ball formats. He is incapable of scoring any quicker than a run a ball. His ODI displays in Australia in 2017 and South Africa in 2019 were embarrassing - wickets with a bit of pace and he was horribly imbalanced at the crease.

However as a Test option he's far and away the best choice currently.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Depends what your definition of ‘fine’ is. Rizwan will struggle to play regular innings above 120 strike rate. That’s an issue for any player in a T20s lineup let alone the number 4.
    Babar has been improving immensely and him being the anchor is good but his attacking array of play has been improving. If Rizwan is brought in as a No.4 and asked to play at 115-120 strike rate then that's fine.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar has been improving immensely and him being the anchor is good but his attacking array of play has been improving. If Rizwan is brought in as a No.4 and asked to play at 115-120 strike rate then that's fine.
    Yes, having roles within the team is fine. However having players who are incapable of hitting big when required is the issue. Rizwan would be fine if the team was 5 for 2 and needed to rebuild. In basically every other scenario, he would be a liability. Whereas a player who could score fast but is sensible, would be more be beneficial to the team in T20s. Even if they are less consistent.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We really don't have any other choices, to be fair. The reason I said all formats is because I don't see anyone capable of coming in and performing consistently.
    They should try muhammed harris

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

We need a good limited overs keeper (in terms of batting). Even in ODIs, Rizwan cannot bat below 5 which could become problematic for us as we donít have finishers and our keeper should normally bat at 6/7.

Some PSL franchise needs to pick Muhammad Haris as their emerging pick and wicket keeper ASAP.

Multan already has Zeeshan and Rohail, Quetta has Sarfaraz, Islamabad has Ronchi and Lahore has Ben Dunk. These 4 are virtually undroppable for another keeper batsman.

There are, however, openings:
    a) Peshawar can make Kami a specialist bat. Drop him from the gloves, select Haris, and develop him as an emerging pick with Haider in the keepersí position. This would mean dropping Amir Khan or Amir Ali but I am not opposed to it as Haris has a higher LOI ceiling from what I have seen.

b) Karachi can drop Chadwick Walton, opening up a valuable international spot for someone new and bolstering their squad strength. To be fair, they do have Rizwan, who Iím sure they would rather stick with. But picking Haris as the emerging pick and wicket keeper would give them an excellent utility pick which they should not shy away from.

Of these two options, the only hope is Peshawar Zalmi. And after they benched Darren Sammy, I wouldnít be surprised if they told Kami itís his last season, and they are upgrading him from keeper-batsman to player-mentor as specialist batsman for his farewell season.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Some PSL franchise needs to pick Muhammad Haris as their emerging pick and wicket keeper ASAP.

Multan already has Zeeshan and Rohail, Quetta has Sarfaraz, Islamabad has Ronchi and Lahore has Ben Dunk. These 4 are virtually undroppable for another keeper batsman.

There are, however, openings:
    a) Peshawar can make Kami a specialist bat. Drop him from the gloves, select Haris, and develop him as an emerging pick with Haider in the keepers’ position. This would mean dropping Amir Khan or Amir Ali but I am not opposed to it as Haris has a higher LOI ceiling from what I have seen.

b) Karachi can drop Chadwick Walton, opening up a valuable international spot for someone new and bolstering their squad strength. To be fair, they do have Rizwan, who I’m sure they would rather stick with. But picking Haris as the emerging pick and wicket keeper would give them an excellent utility pick which they should not shy away from.

Of these two options, the only hope is Peshawar Zalmi. And after they benched Darren Sammy, I wouldn’t be surprised if they told Kami it’s his last season, and they are upgrading him from keeper-batsman to player-mentor as specialist batsman for his farewell season.
    Yes I agree muhammed harris needs to be picked by a franchise team hes clean striker of the ball hes much better in terms of ball striking than rohail and zeeshan

Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post

I have seen posts like this a few times and it confuses me tbh. If this evil Karachi media is so powerful how come people like Fawad Alam rot in domestic cricket despite breaking every record? or how guys like Tabish Khan and Saeed Bin Nasir never play international cricket despite putting up massive numbers?

There is literally only one Karachi player confirmed in the Test starting eleven and I believe 0 in the LOI first XI team(4 in total in the combined squad of 30) .

If there is really a Karachi mafia affecting selections, they are really bad at their job lol.

Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once again the deficiencies of Sarfraz makes PPers over-rate this talentless hack. Rizwan will never be international class, and it would be much better to mould Rohail into a decent WK batsman, rather than do the same mistakes we did with Sarfraz, and let this nobody take his place in the side for granted for a couple of years.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Rizwan sees him as competition this is a good thing. It will force him to maintain his standards.