User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"We haven't come here to fight back, we have come here to win" : Younis Khan

Younis Khan speaking to the press today:

"We haven't come here to fight, we have come here to win. I always try to make the players feel that we're not trying to fight back. If we do that then we'll have that mindset all the time. So for all the players, I try to tell them that we are here to play good cricket, not to fight back.

"Your mindset is very important. I played all my cricket with my mindset. I may not have the best skills or the best fitness but the mindset is very important for me and I am trying to work on that with the players. So I am hopeful that when we meet each other after a month, it'll be on a good note."

"It's easier to be a student than a teacher. You make a mistake then you can make up for it but as a teacher if you make a mistake, you have nowhere to go. For me, it was easy as a player because I had to look after myself. But when you become a leader, coach, or part of a coaching staff, you need to handle different characters. Some are aggressive like me, some are more reserved and defensive.

"I am a batting consultant but for me the fast-bowlers are also very important. They are part of the side and they are my and Pakistan's players. They are like my brothers and some of them are even the age of my son Awais Khan, they are small."

"It's important for me when I speak to the batsmen that you have to focus on one ball at a time, no matter who the bowler is. Make things simple for yourself. I don't tell them to focus on bouncer, inswing, outswing. I try to give them information but I also want to simplify it. It's easy to say to focus on each ball but you need to improve your focus level.

"We all know that you can't change a player's technique overnight. It's easy for me to tell a batsman to use a certain technique but that's difficult for him when he has been playing for 20 years and has the biomechanics for a certain technique. So for these young players, we try to keep things simple but also give them a lot of information, and keep them calm.

"You focus on one ball at any given moment. One ball cannot be inswing, outswing, and bouncer. It will be either one of them so I try to simplify things for the batsmen."

"Fawad Alam has big performances and when we talk about the domestic structure, he has been a top performer which is why he's here. Whenever I spoke to him during the last few years, I always told him that if it's in his destiny and he's performing and fit, he will get a chance and now he's in the squad. I firmly believe that whenever he gets a chance, he will perform because he is a player who has performed so much and given sacrifice.

"It's difficult for a player to keep performing in domestic cricket year after year. Motivating oneself becomes difficult. So I am giving him motivation to continue with his work ethic and if Allah has written performances in his destiny then it will happen.

"When I played cricket, I didn't have some skills and I had a few things missing but with my hard work, I saw my destiny changing. So I am certain that Fawad Alam will perform whenever he gets the chance."

"What I learnt from Bob Woolmer as Coach was to understand how he dealt with a different persons like Younis Khan, and Mohammad Yousuf, or how he dealt with captain Inzamam-ul-Haq in the same team; the team also had characters like Shoaib Malik and Shahid Afridi who needed attention as did the likes of Kamran Akmal; So in the same way I am watching Asad Shafiq to see what is stopping him from performing in his batting"

"Since we have come to England, I have tried my best to bond with Babar Azam; And this not just true for senior players in the side, I have the same attitude towards the youngest players like Haider Ali and Rohail Nazir (when he was with us) and the idea is to give the same amount of time to the youngest and senior most players"

"There is no doubt in our or the world's minds about Babar's abilities"

"It is important for me and that is what I am teaching Babar is that he needs to take his performances up a notch; He is an excellent player but I would like to convert his current performances to bigger ones; so if he scores a 100 then he should go on to score 150, if he scores 150 then he should convert that to 200 and so on"

"Because, not only does he need to become a good player but he needs to aim to become a legendary batsman or even a legendary cricketer"

"So my aim is to shine his skills more, so that he can perform in a way which allows the Pakistan team to win games and so that we all can become proud of him - not that we arent proud of him now"

"My efforts are geared to help senior players Azhar Ali, Asad Shafiq to put in match winning performances"

"As far as comparison is concerned for Babar with other players - I feel that this should not happen"

"When I came on the scene, and performed in just one or 2 games, I was compared with the great Inzamam-ul-Haq; It was said that look Younis Khan is here so we dont need Inzamam or Ijaz Ahmed; Even at that young age, I asked for no comparisons to be made"

"In the same way, when Sohail Tanvir came on the scene, he was compared to Wasim Akram so it seems we tend to start comparing players too early and that places additional pressure on the players; Instead we should allow them time to achieve their goals then the pressure will be less; I understand that we need these comparisons for the sake of media but it does put pressure"

"I feel that Babar Azam is in his own class but I would like to improve that for him in the future"
    Last edited by MenInG; 28th July 2020 at 23:45.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Sounds like Younis has been pushing for Fawad's selection.

Hopefully YK's messages will sink in, and YK behaves himself.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    447 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Daleri
    Bahaduri
    Janbaazi

The few moments Yoni bhai was able to spend with Shoiab Akhtar has helped him learn the above-mentioned 3 important elements must crucial to a team, a player and a man's success and in the wild world.

With thinking like that, I am confident Pakistan will go great on this tour.

Wishing luck.

Bhaijaan (warrior mode)

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    ..and we shall use knives or what not to win..

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    More quotes added to Post#1.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    YK doesn't talk much sense but the title quote is very refreshing to hear. I'm sick of the "we can give tough competition", "we can give them a run for there money", "there is no reason why we cannot compete" kind of statements from the Pak team. Though I do not expect anything else from Azhar and Misbah who are the most timid characters ever, it is frustrating to see such a defeatist mindset.

You're being paid by the board and watched by the fans with the expectations that you'll win! Have the courage to acknowledge those expectations instead of always playing the underdog

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a load of rubbish he’s spouting.

A brilliant cricketer but it was not a good idea to add him to the coaching staff. Not only does he sound incompetent, but he’s clearly not a leadership type personality as he has demonstrated many times.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    love his attitude
    The great khan

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic cricketer and a fantastic role model for the players, a great addition to the set up.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Still expecting his coaching stint to end in tears, but these is a good interview, barring the usual referring to himself in third person. If Babar can start scoring daddy hundreds, it'll do the team wonders.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am scared between Misbah, Younis, Mushtaq and other senior characters, our batsmen will get ultra confused and try to do too many things to each ball.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    LAHORE: Pakistan batting coach Younis Khan has pinned high hopes on the national team’s largely inexperienced batting to notch up 400-plus totals during next month’s three-match series against hosts England.

Speaking to reporters in a PCB online media conference on Tuesday, Younis — the former Pakistan captain and country’s highest run-getter in Test cricket — the Azhar Ali-led side is capable of competing with Joe Root’s men when the first Test starts at Old Trafford in Manchester from Aug 5.

Hired specifically for the forthcoming series, Younis said: “Insha’Allah our team will put up strong show in the batting department to post big totals despite the fact Pakistan have a rather inexperienced line-up. But Azhar Ali, Babar Azam, Asad Shafiq, Shan Masood, who have all played previously in England are capable of big scores.

“I remember sharing a big partnership with Asad with both of us scoring hundreds [during the Oval Test in 2016]. I expect more partnerships from the Pakistan batsmen on this tour.”

Younis further said that he is focussing on the batsmen converting centuries into substantial contributions. “I want to see Asad get big scores like a Younis Khan and Azhar as Misbah-ul-Haq. Once they reach 100, they must not think that job is done. I want them convert 100 into 150 and so forth.”

Younis revealed that he’s closely monitoring the problems Asad had been facing for a long time with his lack of big scores. “He has made 12 Test centuries but hasn’t progressed beyond 137. Being one of the senior payers, Asad somehow struggles to concentrate after crossing three figures and I want him to rectify that shortcoming.”

The batting legend emphasised Babar Azam has the potential to be the next Javed Miandad or Inzamam-ul-Haq. “Given his form in the last couple of years across all formats, I make sure not to put Babar under unnecessary pressure but the high expectations mean he’s has to absorb the pressure. I think he has realised the immense value he brings to the side. It’s natural when a player like Babar doesn’t score, the team struggles. The onus, therefore, is on others to score heavily, including the lower-order batsmen.”

Younis pinpointed that he avoids drawing comparison because that can easily ruin the growth of any player and cited the example of Sohail Tanvir, who was once dubbed as the next Wasim Akram.

Commenting on England’s series-winning performance against the West Indies, Younis said it would be great if Pakistan play with positive intent, while adding Pakistan have a superior top-order batting than the West Indies.

“Honestly our thinking is clear: we are not here to fight but to win and our preparations is based on that philosophy despite the fact we were just playing intra-squad matches because the Covid-19 pandemic put an end to schedule fixtures against the counties.

“At the same time I’m not worried about the batsmen’s modest performances in those intra-games, but once they play serious cricket against England it will be a different ball game.”

Younis, however, admitted that the Covid-19 situation has led the backroom staff to pay special attention to bring improvement in the players’ mental health and general attitude rather than working the technical issues.

“Look, the players may not achieve the desired results overnight and if Azhar, Asad, Abid Ali or Babar do not get big runs against England, it won’t be the end of world for any of them. I just want them to get use to the habit of scoring centuries, if not against England but in the future series.

“Because as a coach you have to deal with different players and you have to adapt differently to deal with each player separately, just I learnt from our former coach Bob Woolmer who always handled Inzamam, Mohammad Yousuf and me in different ways compared to characters such as Shoaib Malik, Shahid Afridi and Kamran Akmal,” he concluded.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1571656/yo...ost-big-totals

Debut
    Jun 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His role there should be to prepare players for situations expected to arise, shouldn't force a great deal about batting technique. At this point it's gonna prove useless.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So when will he have his meltdown?

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I mean - his me, me, me x 1,000,000 has been well known forever, but if Misbah has brought him in - I guess he feels he can control.
    Would be nice if Yk can pass on his grit to these batsmen

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ishtiaq_ctg View Post
    So when will he have his meltdown?
    Day 3 of the 1st test. Its written in the stars.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2012 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    We'd stand a better chance against England if Younis waa still playing.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2351 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    "Look, the players may not achieve the desired results overnight and if Azhar, Asad, Abid Ali or Babar do not get big runs against England, it won’t be the end of world for any of them".

I like Younis Khan and I think that he could be a huge positive influence simply because of the attitudes and never-say-die approach that he can bring. I trust him to improve the tail

But Azhar, Shafiq and Abid Ali are all at least 33 (well, Abid is in October).

At that age your continued presence blocks the development of young players. And one bad series should automatically be your final series.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Pakistan does not have batsmen to replace Azhar and Asad at the moment. We simply are not playing enough Tests to try new people.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Pakistan does not have batsmen to replace Azhar and Asad at the moment. We simply are not playing enough Tests to try new people.
    What about abdullah shafique, omair bin yousuf,zeeshan Malik:,usman salahaddiun

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is unbelievable how self-obsessed YK is! The number of times he gives his own example when talking about what they players need to do is narcissism of the highest order!

I do not know how long would the players be able to take this - it is so repulsive!

YK needs to be brought down to earth and should be made aware that he has a very specific job and no one really cares about hearing his past achievements anymore!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Some evidence of Younis Khan's input in Pak batting so far?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Some evidence of Younis Khan's input in Pak batting so far?
    Running between the wickets

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    882 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Running between the wickets
    Definitely and Babarís shot when he came down the pitch reminded me of Younis too.

Maybe Younis has said to target the spinners.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Definitely and Babar’s shot when he came down the pitch reminded me of Younis too.

Maybe Younis has said to target the spinners.
    Yes defo he knows babar can play spin so proberly encouraging to target the spin

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If things go well for next few days, it'll be good.

Otherwise I expect the Knives to come out soon...

The day d last tree died, d last river poisond & d last fish caught,we'll realize we can't eat money

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2570 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The master and apprentice?

Name:  d6bc44a9-b336-4f52-b569-f2373277af17.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  188.8 KB

Name:  ba694595-cbac-484f-b047-b1f4c4566223.jpg