Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Umar Akmal's ban over corruption charges reduced to 18m [PCB/Umar Akmal file appeals with CAS #54]

Independent Adjudicator announces order on Umar Akmal’s appeal

Lahore, 29 July 2020:

Former Supreme Court Judge Mr Justice (retd) Faqir Muhammad Khokhar, in his capacity as an independent adjudicator, announced his order on Umar Akmal’s appeal today.

The Independent Adjudicator judge in his order dated 29 July 2020 held that:

“The self-incriminatory admission by the appellant both in his interview and reply to the show cause notice regarding the non-disclosure of vital information of approaches made to him about match fixing on two occasions by two different persons leaves no room for doubt as to the veracity of the charges against him.

“The stance taken by the appellant is self-contradictory and not credit-worthy. The case against the appellant stands proved to the hilt.

“The learned Chairman [of the Disciplinary Panel] has quite justifiably found the appellant guilty of both the charges.”

However, whilst taking a compassionate view, the Independent Adjudicator reduced the length of Umar Akmal’s ban to one year and six months. The period of ineligibility imposed on Umar Akmal shall run from, backdated to 20 February 2020 when he was suspended provisionally.

On 27 April, the Chairman of the Disciplinary Panel, Mr Justice (retd) Fazal-e-Miran Chauhan, had banned Umar Akmal for three years after finding him guilty of breaching Article 2.4.4 of the PCB Anti-Corruption Code in two separate incidents.

Under Article 7.5.4 of the PCB Anti-Corruption Code, an appeal against the decision of the Independent Adjudicator shall lie exclusively before the Court of Arbitration for Sports.
    Last edited by MenInG; 29th July 2020 at 16:46.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a joke.

They should at least change the start date to after the corona virus officially goes away. He shouldn’t benefit from being banned while no cricket is being played.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Meh he aint coming back, Shehzad no.2.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal’s three-year ban for failing to report corrupt approaches earlier this year was on Wednesday reduced to 18 months.

Akmal’s ban will effectively run from February 2020 to August 2021 after the 30-year-old’s sentence was reduced by independent adjudicator Faqir Mohammad Khokhar. The batsman expressed dissatisfaction with the ruling and vowed to appeal again.

“There have been many cricketers before me who have committed corruption but none of them were given a punishment as severe as mine. I will appeal once more to get my sentence reduced,” Akmal was quoted as saying by the local media here after the fresh decision.

Akmal was handed a three-year ban in April for failing to report approaches ahead of the Pakistan Super League. He had accepted his mistake but tried to justify his position.

He last played a Test for Pakistan in late 2009 but his most recent international appearance was in last October in the T20 home series against Sri Lanka.

The PCB had charged him with two breaches of Article 2.4.4 of its Anti-Corruption Code in two unrelated incidents on March 17. The breaches pertain to failure to report approaches from corruptor.

Akmal was provisionally suspended hours before his Pakistan Super League team Quetta Gladiators was to take on Islamabad in the opening match of the 2020 PSL.

He is the younger brother of former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Kamran Akmal, who played 53 Tests, 58 T20s, and 157 ODIs for Pakistan, and cousin of current captain Babar Azam.

He has featured in 16 Tests, 121 ODIs and 84 T20s, scoring 1003, 3194 and 1690 runs respectively.

Akmal promised a lot after making a hundred in New Zealand on his Test debut, but failed to live up to the high expectations that came with some fine performances early in his career.

Constant run-ins with the authorities also marred his stop-start career.

Akmal had earlier escaped a PCB ban in February for allegedly making crude remarks to a trainer during a fitness test at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    What a joke.

They should at least change the start date to after the corona virus officially goes away. He shouldn’t benefit from being banned while no cricket is being played.
    I suppose there's been justice because the initial ban hearing got affected by Umar representing himself. However, the fact that the ban has been backdated is frankly ridiculous. It' become, in effect, a 1 year ban.

From a learning perspective, given that it's Umar Akmal, what will be achieved?

I hope to God that the penny finally drops and he gets it together. And whilst other posters may disagree, I'm afraid he's getting picked for the t20 world cup next year. Let's hope he merits it of he does (I don't think he does on current attitude/form)

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What a joke.

Stop crying

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal’s three-year ban for failing to report corrupt approaches earlier this year was on Wednesday reduced to 18 months.

Akmal’s ban will effectively run from February 2020 to August 2021 after the 30-year-old’s sentence was reduced by independent adjudicator Faqir Mohammad Khokhar. The batsman expressed dissatisfaction with the ruling and vowed to appeal again.

“There have been many cricketers before me who have committed corruption but none of them were given a punishment as severe as mine. I will appeal once more to get my sentence reduced,” Akmal was quoted as saying by the local media here after the fresh decision.

Akmal was handed a three-year ban in April for failing to report approaches ahead of the Pakistan Super League. He had accepted his mistake but tried to justify his position.

He last played a Test for Pakistan in late 2009 but his most recent international appearance was in last October in the T20 home series against Sri Lanka.

The PCB had charged him with two breaches of Article 2.4.4 of its Anti-Corruption Code in two unrelated incidents on March 17. The breaches pertain to failure to report approaches from corruptor.

Akmal was provisionally suspended hours before his Pakistan Super League team Quetta Gladiators was to take on Islamabad in the opening match of the 2020 PSL.

He is the younger brother of former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Kamran Akmal, who played 53 Tests, 58 T20s, and 157 ODIs for Pakistan, and cousin of current captain Babar Azam.

He has featured in 16 Tests, 121 ODIs and 84 T20s, scoring 1003, 3194 and 1690 runs respectively.

Akmal promised a lot after making a hundred in New Zealand on his Test debut, but failed to live up to the high expectations that came with some fine performances early in his career.

Akmal had earlier escaped a PCB ban in February for allegedly making crude remarks to a trainer during a fitness test at the National Cricket Academy in Lahore.
    Actually, from this new post it seems like he's not happy with the 18 month ban itself and wants a further reduction! There's not much contrition there, is there?

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When can he learn a lesson from his mistakes of the past.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    18 months out of which 12 no play due to corona - great stuff

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6833 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    It doesnít matter. He will never play for Pakistan again.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

He has really let himself go, unfortunately.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah719 View Post

He is just well hydrated

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    I suppose there's been justice because the initial ban hearing got affected by Umar representing himself. However, the fact that the ban has been backdated is frankly ridiculous. It' become, in effect, a 1 year ban.

From a learning perspective, given that it's Umar Akmal, what will be achieved?

I hope to God that the penny finally drops and he gets it together. And whilst other posters may disagree, I'm afraid he's getting picked for the t20 world cup next year. Let's hope he merits it of he does (I don't think he does on current attitude/form)
    His international career is basically over. He might make the odd appearance due to the stupidity of Pakistan selectors (like Misbah recently recalling him for 2 innings), but while he is talented he doesn’t have the work ethic of his brother who despite being rubbish - keeps performing at the domestic level and conning people into thinking he’s a better player.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Stop crying
    I can’t, I’m just so happy we’re almost rid of these rubbish Akmal brothers finally. They’ve plagued us for the last 15 years and we’re coming to an end.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal's lawyer's media talk:

"We are thankful that the independent adjudicator accepted our stance.

"We were expecting to get a lower sentence because in similar cases, we saw precedents where bans of 2 months and 6 months were given. We will decide if we want to appeal further at a later stage.

"It's not the decision that we expected but we are thankful that it's reduced. We have the ability to appeal further which we will decide on."

Umar Akmal:

"I am thankful to Allah and to my lawyers. I would like to thank the judge for hearing my lawyers and we will decide if we want to try and have this reduced further by appealing.

"I am not satisfied but I will listen to the advice from my lawyers and family and decide further.

"I think many players have previously made mistakes and you all saw the sentences they were given vs the sentence I have been given."

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I can’t, I’m just so happy we’re almost rid of these rubbish Akmal brothers finally. They’ve plagued us for the last 15 years and we’re coming to an end.
    Don't underestimate the stupidity of our selectors. All it'll take is a few bad T20 results, a half decent PSL from Umar Akmal and the clamour will begin for his recall.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never understand how in the modern day some of the cricketers cant even keep them physically fit. It is one of the basic part of their job and is something which can have a huge effect in their career. Sharjeel wasted 2.5 years during his ban while Yasir and Imad become unfit after every single break.

Not to forget some of our pacers who just keep on getting career ending injuries here and there. Not completely blaming the pacers however, I think the number of pacers struggling to play enough matches with optimal level of performances to even get 200 wickets in one format or another definitely shows something isn’t right in the way they go about their fitness and routine.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    97 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Don't underestimate the stupidity of our selectors. All it'll take is a few bad T20 results, a half decent PSL from Umar Akmal and the clamour will begin for his recall.
    Oh I fully expect that to happen. But Umar is so poorly disciplined and has such bad fitness that he is going to get worse and worse. So when the idiotic selectors do randomly bring him in, he will fail immediately and be dropped again. He won't be a nuisance to the team anymore, that's for sure.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    Never understand how in the modern day some of the cricketers cant even keep them physically fit. It is one of the basic part of their job and is something which can have a huge effect in their career. Sharjeel wasted 2.5 years during his ban while Yasir and Imad become unfit after every single break.

Not to forget some of our pacers who just keep on getting career ending injuries here and there. Not completely blaming the pacers however, I think the number of pacers struggling to play enough matches with optimal level of performances to even get 200 wickets in one format or another definitely shows something isnít right in the way they go about their fitness and routine.
    Thatís part of why I love Shaheen and Naseem. Not only are they immensely talented but they have a great fitness focus going!

Babar, Imam, Shan, and a couple of the upcoming prospects are great as well. Fawad has supreme fitness. Hasnainís fitness has been getting better and even Musa Khan looks like heís building up some muscle. Shadab has fantastic fitness and is probably one of the best fielders in the world right now.

Purely from a fitness perspective, consider the following Test lineup:

1. Imam ul Haq
    2. Shan Masood (C)
    3. Babar Azam
    4. Haider Ali
    5. Fawad Alam
    6. M Rizwan (wk)
    7. Shadab Khan
    8. óóóóóóó
    9. M Abbas
    10. Shaheen Shah
    11. Naseem Shah

Itís quite fit! The only issue is selection ó otherwise youngsters have adopted a great fitness culture. Slot in someone like Abdullah Shafique and you have a fitness culture going that Pakistan has never seen before.
    Last edited by Thunderbolt14; 29th July 2020 at 19:58.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post

Not to forget some of our pacers who just keep on getting career ending injuries here and there. Not completely blaming the pacers however, I think the number of pacers struggling to play enough matches with optimal level of performances to even get 200 wickets in one format or another definitely shows something isn’t right in the way they go about their fitness and routine.
    Just shows that fitness thing is simply something they dont care about!

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    UA represents everything bad about PK cricketers. The guy is thick, he thinks he is a world beater when in fact he is barely County level, he has no concept of being a professional and worst of all, he will never take responsibility for his actions and Always blame some conspiracy or other.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    A Vinod Kambli level setback and end. Two immensely gifted teenage cricketers whose attitude problems ruined their career respectively.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    UA represents everything bad about PK cricketers. The guy is thick, he thinks he is a world beater when in fact he is barely County level, he has no concept of being a professional and worst of all, he will never take responsibility for his actions and Always blame some conspiracy or other.
    Mostly his fault but Pakistan should have let him settle in a Top 3 batting position early in his career.

Pakistan was at one point, also the most obsessed cou try in the world about T20 cricket. Played most number of T20 internationals. Probably didn't help in grooming of young batters

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    A Vinod Kambli level setback and end. Two immensely gifted teenage cricketers whose attitude problems ruined their career respectively.
    Insult to Kambli honestly.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saadinxs View Post
    He is just well hydrated

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Kambli had attitude issues, but from what I remember he was still performing with the bat, before politics killed his career.

Umar Akmal hasn't had a meaningful performance in 5-6 years, despite multiple comebacks

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jab zyaada baarish aata hai tou zyaada paani aata hai, hence Umar Akmal is more hydrated. Charbi kaha hain???

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lahore: Kamran Akmal confirmed that Umar Akmal is going to appeal against a reduced 18-months ban as he wants to return to the cricket field as soon as possible.

Speaking on his YouTube channel, Kamran praised the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and independent adjudicator Mr. Justice (retd) Faqir Muhammad Khokhar for listening to his brother’s appeal.

“It is a big relief for us to be honest that the ban has reduced from three years to 1.5 years. Still, it is too long and harsh for Umar as he wants to play cricket as soon as possible,” he said.

“We are consulting with lawyers and our elders before appealing against 18-months ban. We will not give up on this anyway,” he added.

Kamran once again highlighted that the PCB remained harsh in Umar’s case. “Umar should be punished but nobody ever received such harsh treatment,” he maintained.

https://arysports.tv/umar-wants-play...l-long-kamran/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal case: PCB to file appeal with CAS

Lahore, 10 August 2020:

The Pakistan Cricket Board today confirmed it will file an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), in Lausanne, Switzerland, against the reduction of Umar Akmal’s ban for breaching the PCB Anti-Corruption Code.

The decision was made following a review of the detailed order of the independent adjudicator, whereby the length of Umar Akmal’s ban has been reduced from 36 months to 18 months (running concurrently) on grounds of taking a compassionate view.

Under Article 7.5.4 of the PCB Anti-Corruption Code, an appeal against the decision of the independent adjudicator lies exclusively before the CAS.

“The PCB takes matters relating to anti-corruption very seriously and firmly maintains a zero-tolerance approach. The PCB believes a senior cricketer like Umar Akmal was aware of the consequences when, after having attended a number of anti-corruption lectures at domestic and international level, having witnessed the consequences of indulging in corrupt conduct, still failed to report the approaches to the relevant authorities.

“The PCB doesn’t take any pride in seeing a cricketer of Umar’s stature being banned for corruption, but as a credible and respectable institution, we need to send out a loud and clear message to all our stakeholders that there will be no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who breaches the regulations.

“The PCB, in its commitment and drive against corruption in sports, has already submitted a draft proposal with the relevant government authorities around legislation on criminalising corruption in sports and has also reviewed the existing legislation enacted within Pakistan whilst noting that the same fail to adequately target and address corruption/illegal manipulation in sports.

“In the draft paper, the PCB has proposed severe sanctions pertaining to corruption, illegal manipulation, betting, match and spot-fixing as well as aiding and abetting such conduct; and proposes the penalties to be imposed on individuals found guilty of engaging in such offences.”

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post

Umar Akmal hasn't had a meaningful performance in 5-6 years, despite multiple comebacks
    Two centuries in the 18-19 QEA Final.

A double century in the 19-20 QEA Final.

Fawad Alam was recalled on QEA performances - and his performances were in smaller matches against weaker teams.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Pretty funny, the PCB appealing against itself. Iíve never seen that playbook before.

Mohammad Irfan and Mohammad Nawaz will lose them this case.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    908 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good job by pcb. They are appealing the decision and lets hope umar akmal gets banned for a longer period of time.

Pcb has send out a clear msg, doesnt matter how talented you are or whether you were the favourite of the organization, you will be banned if you do not report approaches.

This really deserves applause, but many would not want to as there favourite boy got banned.

Hopefully, thats end of his career forever

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why is PCB wasting its money?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    908 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaddy View Post
    Why is PCB wasting its money?
    Lol
    How is fighing against corruption waste of money?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do we get stuck with these type of people? They cheat and will be punished as a result, and they then moan that they’re being hard done by as though they have some moral high ground!

The audacity of him wanting to appeal twice. Glad PCB has taken a hard stance. The country’s reputation is at stake in the cricketing world and should any nonsense like this appear at international level, the country won’t recover.

Need to send a message that it won’t be tolerated at all and no leniency. Anyone caught should be banned for life. Hope the CAS revokes the later judgment and reinstates the initial judgment.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    908 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinitee786 View Post
    Why do we get stuck with these type of people? They cheat and will be punished as a result, and they then moan that they’re being hard done by as though they have some moral high ground!

The audacity of him wanting to appeal twice. Glad PCB has taken a hard stance. The country’s reputation is at stake in the cricketing world and should any nonsense like this appear at international level, the country won’t recover.

Need to send a message that it won’t be tolerated at all and no leniency. Anyone caught should be banned for life. Hope the CAS revokes the later judgment and reinstates the initial judgment.
    The CAS could also increase the ban, any decision they take will be final now.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    The CAS could also increase the ban, any decision they take will be final now.
    Even better!

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Two centuries in the 18-19 QEA Final.

A double century in the 19-20 QEA Final.

Fawad Alam was recalled on QEA performances - and his performances were in smaller matches against weaker teams.
    Huh? Akmal did get a comeback based on domestic - multiple comebacks over the years. He played 5 ODIs and 2 T20s in 2019.

Fawad has never had a comeback into the team.

Don't get what you're trying to say at all with a Fawad / Akmal comparison

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lol
    How is fighing against corruption waste of money?
    Don't get me wrong. I don't want Umar Akmal back in our team.
    My point was, instead of wasting money on the legal battles just ignore him and don't select him.
    Just like Salman Butt.

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    CAS decision will be final.... CAS can increase his sentence .... i hope they do increase his ban to original or even longer..... after this he will not be able to do anything as CAS decision will be final...... bye bye Akmal good riddance
    Last edited by Boycottisno2; 11th August 2020 at 00:40. Reason: addition and delete

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Boycottisno2 View Post
    CAS decision will be final.... CAS can increase his sentence .... i hope they do increase his ban to original or even longer..... after this he will not be able to do anything as CAS decision will be final...... bye bye Akmal good riddance
    How much will all this cost the PCB? Is Umar Akmal's extra 18 months that important or is this an ego thing for PCB legal guys?

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much will all this cost the PCB? Is Umar Akmal's extra 18 months that important or is this an ego thing for PCB legal guys?

Potentially both. I fear if they don’t take the legal route, it sets a precedence for future law breakers to appeal and get away with it.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    908 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think this guy did something that really got on the nerve of PCB. Maybe his last appointment to the squad was based on political ties, and that might have rubbed with the PCB in a very bad way.

At the same time, this fool gets approached by someone, he doesn't report and the PCB made sure to go after him.
    He did something to make Waseem Khan and others very very very angry, and the only way a person like him could do that is using political connections and making your superiors look weak.

Now the independent panel that reduce his ban was probably also politically influenced, and they tried to be over smart by making reduction to the point that covid19 would cover that period.

With the case going to Court of Arbitration, Umar Akmal has caused himself more problems. Over there, your political connections won't work, unless Umar Akmal has befriended Vladamir Putin. The judgement they will give would be final, and it could be a reduction, same judgement or they are even allowed to add more years to the ban.

Now only you could shed some light @Saj if there is an inside story. To me it seems he was trying to use his political connections. I have heard from people their family does go to Raiwind to pay their respects and get favors

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If there was ever a world cup of losing court cases, PCB can send a strong contingent there.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol, i am sure the PCB is incensed that UA wanted to further appeal against a reduced sentence which is what prompted them to take the case to the CAS.

Even if the ban is lifted, i doubt we will ever see UA wear the Pakistani shirt again, what a pathetic waste of ability and potential but he was no longer the same player that we saw from 2009 to 2014, can't recall a single innings of substance which lit up the world's eyes after 2014 which would make them say this player has some real ability.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think this guy did something that really got on the nerve of PCB. Maybe his last appointment to the squad was based on political ties, and that might have rubbed with the PCB in a very bad way.

At the same time, this fool gets approached by someone, he doesn't report and the PCB made sure to go after him.
    He did something to make Waseem Khan and others very very very angry, and the only way a person like him could do that is using political connections and making your superiors look weak.

Now the independent panel that reduce his ban was probably also politically influenced, and they tried to be over smart by making reduction to the point that covid19 would cover that period.

With the case going to Court of Arbitration, Umar Akmal has caused himself more problems. Over there, your political connections won't work, unless Umar Akmal has befriended Vladamir Putin. The judgement they will give would be final, and it could be a reduction, same judgement or they are even allowed to add more years to the ban.

Now only you could shed some light @Saj if there is an inside story. To me it seems he was trying to use his political connections. I have heard from people their family does go to Raiwind to pay their respects and get favors
    No guarantee that the CAS will increase the ban, what is the maximum ICC penalty for not reporting an approach? 12 months? UA already got 18 months, they might say the punishment he has is sufficient if not excessive.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal’s ban for not reporting spot-fixing approaches was reduced from three years to 18 months

Pakistan batsman Kamran Akmal has lashed out at the PCB for its decision to challenge the reduction of the ban imposed on his younger brother, Umar Akmal for not reporting spot-fixing approaches.

An independent adjudicator of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Justice (retd) Faqir Muhammad Khokar reduced Umar’s ban from three years to 18 months, hearing his appeal.

Justice Khokar also gave Umar and the PCB the option of filing an appeal with the Court of Arbitration for International Sports (CAS) against his decision. On Monday the PCB announced it would file the appeal.

Kamran said in the past players had been banned for short terms of three to six months and even had their fines reduced for the same offence but in Umar’s case the PCB is not even satisfied with the 18 months ban on him.

“Umar is being treated unjustly because in the past he has always cooperated with the authorities in such cases and this time also he admitted the mistake of not reporting the matter to the authorities. Even the reduced 18 months ban is hard on him,” he said.

PCB said it has taken the decision following a review of the detailed order of the independent adjudicator, whereby the length of Umar’s ban has been reduced from 36 months to 18 months (running concurrently) on grounds of taking a compassionate view.

“The PCB takes matters relating to anti-corruption very seriously and firmly maintains a zero-tolerance approach.

“The PCB believes a senior cricketer like Umar Akmal was aware of the consequences when, after having attended a number of anti-corruption lectures at domestic and international level, having witnessed the consequences of indulging in corrupt conduct, still failed to report the approaches to the relevant authorities,” the PCB said in a press release.

“The PCB doesn’t take any pride in seeing a cricketer of Umar’s stature being banned for corruption, but as a credible and respectable institution, we need to send out a loud and clear message to all our stakeholders that there will be no sympathy whatsoever for anyone who breaches the regulations.”

The three-year ban was initially imposed in April by the PCB’s Disciplinary Panel under the Anti-Corruption laws.

Justice (retd) Fazal-e-Miran Chauhan imposed the ban on Umar on April 27 after finding him guilty of breaching the PCB anti-corruption code by not reporting approaches made to him in Lahore at two separate parties to spot fix matches in the Pakistan Super League.

The PCB had suspended Umar on February 20 this year.

Kamran said that his brother is being treated unfairly and already his career had suffered a lot due to unjust selection decisions.

The Judge who headed the Disciplinary Panel noted in his final decision that Umar had failed to show any remorse or explain why he had not reported the approaches to the PCB and neither had he divulged details of the discussions he had with the suspected bookmakers at two meetings in Lahore.

https://www.thehindu.com/sport/crick...le32325981.ece

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Look, I think that Umar Akmal is Pakistanís second best batsman, but heís 30 years old - heís too old to be worth recalling. Ever.

This may be a crass comment, but Pakistanis seem to have a deference for age which has no place in sport. Like the Fawad Alam stuff now - to me the only way you can recall Fawad is to throw out Azhar and Shafiq and Yasir.

Sorry Umar Akmal, itís too late now!

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    Huh? Akmal did get a comeback based on domestic - multiple comebacks over the years. He played 5 ODIs and 2 T20s in 2019.

Fawad has never had a comeback into the team.

Don't get what you're trying to say at all with a Fawad / Akmal comparison
    You know what this means right? Fawad to score a triple when he is picked. Anyone compared with Umar Akmal goes from decent to brilliant in a matter of few innings.

2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    482 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think his ban reduction should have no relevance. He is history now.

I don't think he should play international cricket again. He is finished.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Look, I think that Umar Akmal is Pakistan’s second best batsman, but he’s 30 years old - he’s too old to be worth recalling. Ever.

This may be a crass comment, but Pakistanis seem to have a deference for age which has no place in sport. Like the Fawad Alam stuff now - to me the only way you can recall Fawad is to throw out Azhar and Shafiq and Yasir.

Sorry Umar Akmal, it’s too late now!
    Looking at his physique and fitness, he looks like someone in his mid to late 30's. I think he has lied about his age because you actually start gaining weight in your 30's.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    According to news reports, PCB have filed the appeal at CAS against reduction of ban for Umar Akmal.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2333 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quotes from Salman Naseer:

“The PCB, over the weekend, has filed an appeal in the Court of Arbitration in Sports; It was a difficult decision to make and was painful but the PCB felt that this was a necessary step”

“We had some concerns when the decision by the Independent Adjudicator was read in detail by PCB Legal and Management”

“Firstly, the question was whether the punishment was enough and if the reduction in punishment was correct or not”

“Mitigating factors relating to reduction of punishment are laid down clearly in our Anti Corruption Laws; According to the Independent Adjudicator, the case against Umar Akmal had been proven to the hilt, statements by the cricketer are self contradictory and not creditworthy”

“But when it came to the issue of punishment of Umar Akmal, he said he would take a compassionate view, and due to those compassionate grounds I will reduce the punishment to half of the original amount”

“So our concern was that is their any leeway for the court to reduce the punishment to half”

“Our other concern was that these were 2 independent incidents, and separate charges were framed by PCB for violation of the Anti-Corruption code, and should the punishments for both run in parallel or cumulatively”

“We, unlike the Independent Adjudicator, were of the opinion that these should run cumulatively as they are 2 separate incidents”

“Thirdly, its about the message PCB wants to project - which is that it expects a higher standard, its expects better behaviour and better conduct from players; PCB have always had a zero tolerance policy and they wish to reiterate it again”

“CAS will determine the exact process for this appeal but they aim to decide the case in three months of filing of the appeal”

“Its not always the case that the hearing will happen in Switzerland, they have the option to move it anywhere; We have asked for one Adjudicator so that its cost effective and not become too lengthy”

“CAS will determine the attribution of costs to each of the parties but for us the message is more important which we are trying to convey”

“The fact that PCB have gone against the decision of the adjudicator shows how much transparency there is in the process”

“When people talk about agreed sanctions, that is the case when the cricketer comes in and says I agree and am willing to cooperate in your fight against corruption”

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lahore: Banned cricketer Umar Akmal has filed an appeal against reduced 1.5 years ban in anti-corruption case in the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS), in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Akmal’s lawyer Khuwaja Umaiz confirmed ARY News that they have filed an appeal against the ban in CAS. According to Umaiz, the cricketer didn’t get a proper chance to clear his stance in the case.

“Akmal wasn’t given a proper chance to clear his stance. That’s why we have filed an appeal in CAS to get justice for the cricketer. We appealed to lift 1.5 years ban too from the cricketer,” he said.

On the other hand, Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) had already filed an appeal in the CAS against the reduction of Akmal’s ban. Ex-Supreme Court judge Mr. Justice (retd) Faqir Muhammad Khokhar, in his capacity as an independent adjudicator had reduced Akmal’s ban to 1.5 years from 3 years on compassionate grounds.

According to PCB, there is no room in anti-Corruption rules for reducing the ban on compassionate grounds.

It must be noted here that the national cricket body handed three years ban to Akmal after he was found guilty of violating two breaches of Article 2.4.4 of the PCB anti-Corruption-code in two unlinked incidents.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sanity prevails finally

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CAS gives Umar and PCB 20-day time to file written arguments

Karachi, Sep 6 (PTI) The Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) has asked the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) and banned Test batsman, Umar Akmal to submit written arguments in 20-days time.

The PCB had approached the CAS, appealing against the reduction of a three-year ban on Umar Akmal, while the batsman in a counter move filed an appeal against his overall ban and wants it removed.

Former Supreme Court judge, Justice (retd) Faqir Muhammad Khokhar in his capacity as independent adjudicator had reduced Umar''s three-year ban for failure to report two spot-fixing approaches to 18 months.

A source close to Umar said that his lawyer had got a mail from the CAS asking him to submit his argument and statement in 20-days time.

"The CAS will probably take around three months to decide on the case and should be giving a date for a hearing after they go through the written arguments/statements of both parties," he said.

Justice Khokar noted in his final finding that the stance taken by Umar is self-contradictory and not credit-worthy and the case against the appellant stands proved to the hilt.

But Khokar whilst taking a compassionate view, reduced the length of the ban.

Umar had been banned for three years in April by a one-man Disciplinary Panel of the board after two hearings and he then appealed to the independent adjudicator.

Umar, 30, who has played 16 Tests (the last one in 2011), 121 ODIs and 84 T20 internationals has had a history of running into problems with the establishment over disciplinary issues since he made his Pakistan debut in 2009.

He is the younger brother of Pakistan test wicket keepers, Kamran and Adnan Akmal.

https://www.outlookindia.com/newsscr...1930525?scroll

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol, i am sure the PCB is incensed that UA wanted to further appeal against a reduced sentence which is what prompted them to take the case to the CAS.

Even if the ban is lifted, i doubt we will ever see UA wear the Pakistani shirt again, what a pathetic waste of ability and potential but he was no longer the same player that we saw from 2009 to 2014, can't recall a single innings of substance which lit up the world's eyes after 2014 which would make them say this player has some real ability.
    I feel he can still play T20 for Pakistan. He can play floater/power hitter/finisher role. I think he can fit in the team as a wicketkeeper batsman and play at no. 6 position.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lahore: Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) has rejected Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) request to conduct the hearing of Umar Akmal’s case outside Switzerland, ARY News reported.

PCB had requested that the hearing should be held in another country and not in Switzerland.

According to sources, the purpose of holding the hearing at another venue was to reduce the expenses of both parties.

Both Umar and PCB have replied to the notice of exchange as the due of sending replies will expire on Saturday (September 26).

It must be noted here that both PCB filed an appeal against the reduction in Akmal’s ban whereas Akmal appealed for further reduction in his suspension.

Remember, ex-Supreme Court judge Mr. Justice (retd) Faqir Muhammad Khokhar, in his capacity as an independent adjudicator had reduced Akmal’s ban to 1.5 years from 3 years. The cricketer was charged under Article 7.5.4 of the PCB Anti-Corruption Code.

https://arysports.tv/cas-rejects-pcb...r-akmals-case/

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So what is Akmal doing in Switzerland? Is he an international fugitive?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal hearing: CAS turns down PCB request

The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has rejected a request by the Pakistan Cricket Board of conducting a hearing on Umar Akmal’s ban in Dubai.

Earlier this year, Akmal was banned by the PCB for three years for failing to report corrupt approaches, following which its own independent adjudicator reduced the suspension period to 18 months. The matter, eventually, reached the doorsteps of CAS.

The Board wanted the hearing to be held in Dubai to minimise expenditure. The PCB has now requested for the hearing to be held through a video link, but the CAS is yet to respond.

“Umar Akmal’s legal team does not want the proceedings to be held through a video link so most likely the CAS will also reject the PCB’s fresh request,” he said.

Under CAS regulations for an online hearing, the permission of both parties is required. The PCB and Akmal have already responded to the notice of exchange. The CAS is expected to announce a date for the hearing in the coming weeks. Earlier this month, the CAS asked the PCB and Akmal to submit written arguments within 20 days.

The PCB had gone to the CAS with an appeal against the reduction of the three-year ban by its independent adjudicator. On the other hand, the tainted batman wants the ban to be revoked.

Former Supreme Court Judge Mr Justice (retd.) Faqir Muhammad Khokhar, in his capacity as independent adjudicator, had, in July, reduced Akmal’s three-year ban for failure to report two spot-fixing approaches to 18 months. Justice Khokar noted in his final finding that the stance taken by Akmal is self-contradictory.

Akmal had been banned for three years in April by a one-man disciplinary panel of the PCB after two hearings, following which his appeal was heard by the independent adjudicator.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/sport...08323.ece/amp/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Lahore: Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) has accepted Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) request to conduct the hearing of Umar Akmal’s case via video link, ARY Sports reported.

The video link hearing is expected to take place in December. Convicted Umar has to inform regarding his availability until November 2.

Umar wanted that there should be a public hearing of his case, however, it was not granted.

Last month, PCB’s request was rejected that the hearing should be held in another country and not in Switzerland.

It must be noted here that PCB filed an appeal against the reduction in Akmal’s ban whereas Akmal appealed for further reduction in his suspension.

https://arysports.tv/cas-accepts-pcb...se-video-link/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) will reportedly hear Pakistan cricketer Umar Akmal’s ban appeal on December 1.

The Lahore-born batsman was banned for three years by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) for violating the anti-corruption code. However, his ban was reduced to 18 months after an appeal in front of the independent adjudicator.

Following the tribunal’s decision, the PCB decided to take the matter in front of the CAS to overturn the verdict and reinstate the 36-month ban.

Sources close to the matter stated that the CAS has appointed a Queen’s Counsel adjudicator to hear the matter.

It is believed that neither of the parties will bear any financial expenses as the case will be heard virtually.

https://www.samaa.tv/sports/2020/11/...aring-reports/