Wisden Cricket Monthly

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who will be Pakistanís top-scorer in the Test series against England?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shan Masood

2 6.25%
  • Abid Ali

2 6.25%
  • Azhar Ali

1 3.13%
  • Babar Azam

20 62.50%
  • Asad Shafiq

3 9.38%
  • Mohammad Rizwan

2 6.25%
  • Shadab Khan

0 0%
  • Fawad Alam

1 3.13%
  • Sarfaraz Ahmed

0 0%
  • Iftikhar Ahmed

0 0%
  • Imam-ul-Haq

1 3.13%
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Who will be Pakistan’s top run-scorer in the Test series against England?

Last time around in 2018, it was a low-scoring series of two Tests where none of the Pakistani batsmen made a huge impact. Haris Sohail top-scored with 114 runs while Shadab Khan was surprisingly second with 112 runs including 2 fifties. Babar Azam made 68* in his only innings before being injured. Asad Shafiq and Azhar Ali struggled.

Now, thereís a new Test opening pair. Shan Masood played in England in 2016, struggling especially against Anderson. Abid Ali has only played Tests in Pakistan so far. Mohammad Rizwan in the middle-order is yet to play in England and the same goes for Fawad Alam if selected. Iftikhar Ahmed isnít in the probables for the first Test but he has played a Test previously, albeit not with much success.

Vote for your top-scorer.

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course Babar

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iíll go left field. Azhar Ali.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    858 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam is most likely to score the most. If not him, then I'd definitely go for Shan Masood.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rizwan

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I have gone with Shan!

Given that Pak will not score big scores, Shan will probably emerge on top with his 40s type scores

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asad shafiq.

He'll come out more often than not after the new ball is blunted out. 5 or 6 is the best position to bat in UK Tests.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Babar and Rizwan. If he gets the series, Shadab might end up pretty high on the scorers list too.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Why does everyone ignore that Shadab was only 2 runs short of being top-scorer last time they played Tests in England?

If you play Rizwan at 6 and Shadab at 7 you can select four quicks!

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shan Masood

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    595 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Why does everyone ignore that Shadab was only 2 runs short of being top-scorer last time they played Tests in England?

If you play Rizwan at 6 and Shadab at 7 you can select four quicks!
    That is how it should be. But not Faheem, his batting is not existent.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar Azam.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Babar Azam.
    Rizwan could be up thier to

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will go with Rizwan for his gritty knocks with the tail. He can make the difference in favor of Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Between Babar and Rizwan.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Azhar Ali

Now that Younis Khan is back its time for this old chap to win us games again. I expect to see big daddy 100s from him.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voted for Babar. He did well in Australia and I think he can do the same in England.

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    445 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Rizwan could be a contender, considering he looked good in the warm up games.

However, Babar is the clear choice.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see Rizwan scoring heavily and probably Babar getting runs but don't expect getting close to hundreds.

Although if Shadab and Faheem play, then we'll see plenty of runs... none from their bats all conceded while bowling! Expect plenty of 0 for 150 with their poor attempts at Test bowling.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to be Babar but Rizwan can be a contender as well.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if Babar isn't #1 then we're in big big trouble.

I expect Babar could have double the runs of the second highest run scorer. Can't see anyone else getting more than 200 runs in the series. If Babar continues his form, 350-400 is doable

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The most likely answer is Babar Azam. Regardless, this will be one heck of a Test series. Can't wait for it to start.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be Babar, if he can play a Smith type role this series we have a chance.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    Jurassic Park.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar of course. The rest are getting in line to nick it to slip's or the keeper. At least we won't have any "gaddi bhi vuj geyi ya ta mere bhi sat lag geyi ya!"
    Last edited by PakLFC; 2nd August 2020 at 12:56.

PP's own self proclaimed sharpshooter and defender of Islam and Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    .Babar Azam by a mile.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Babar but I look forward to watching Shaheen and Naseem in England.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Just feel too much pressure on Babar - not that I want him to fail but will be a great test of character if he comes out top

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    871 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Abid Ali , that is my choice.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Fawad's time to shine. He's been waiting too long to let this moment slip.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shan Masood. But he should be batting at #3.

Azhar Ali is a sitting duck regardless of which position be bats at. The captain should take one for the team & consider opening the innings, so guys like Shan can play at #3.

Shan's best test series was in South Africa...where he batted at #3.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Justcrazy View Post
    Abid Ali , that is my choice.
    I hope you're joking. If there was a poll for which batsman will score the least amount of runs...Abid Ali would have been my vote.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel like he is going to struggle big time in English conditions.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Imam ul Haq is my man, even if he may not play the first test. He has the patience and technique to stand around.

Debut
    Nov 2009
    Venue
    Batman Space/Gotham City
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3216 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Has to be Babar Azam - nobody else close to him at the moment.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Babar no one else is close to him!

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2254 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Comments from Misbah in today’s press conference about the batting:

Pressure on Pak batsmen

“Younis Khan and I have told the players that they do not need to create undue pressure on themselves, all you need to do is to go in there and do your best; If you start thinking that you have to score and pre-occupy your thoughts with this then it will be difficult for you to perform; All 6 batsmen need to do their best, and that is an important thing for us”

Babar Azam

“The reason for Babar’s success is that he takes on challenges, and has responded well even when extra pressure of captaincy; If we look at his stats in Tests and LOIs, his performances have improved further; We have high hopes that he will continue to play in the same way.

Pakistan batting looking confident

“Also based on their past performances especially in 2016, Azhar and Asad’s contributions will also be important; Also Abid Ali and Shan Masood have done well recently in the past 2 series and that confidence will be required in such conditions and in such a difficult series; Our batting is looking confident, based on their wins in the past 2 series so we are hopeful that we can continue with this”

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nervesofsteel View Post
    I hope you're joking. If there was a poll for which batsman will score the least amount of runs...Abid Ali would have been my vote.

I hope I'm wrong but I feel like he is going to struggle big time in English conditions.
    Abid has struggled so far, but like Misbah said - the conditions during the warm up matches were quite different to the first Test. And with the hot weather forecast, it should suit Abid better.

He is the kind of batsman who will definitely fail in a few innings, but in at least one or two - if he manages to get through the new ball - he will take the attack to the England bowlers. In his ODI innings, he showed he was the only batsman apart from Babar who can put away decent bowling with brilliant shots rather than the block block swing tactic of most Pakistani batsmen.

I like Shan - and he is useful to the side. But if he's batting at the 40 over mark, his score will be 42* of a 115 balls. Whereas Abid would be nearing his century.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post
    Abid has struggled so far, but like Misbah said - the conditions during the warm up matches were quite different to the first Test. And with the hot weather forecast, it should suit Abid better.

He is the kind of batsman who will definitely fail in a few innings, but in at least one or two - if he manages to get through the new ball - he will take the attack to the England bowlers. In his ODI innings, he showed he was the only batsman apart from Babar who can put away decent bowling with brilliant shots rather than the block block swing tactic of most Pakistani batsmen.

I like Shan - and he is useful to the side. But if he's batting at the 40 over mark, his score will be 42* of a 115 balls. Whereas Abid would be nearing his century.
    You're absolutely right about Abid. If he survives initially against the new ball, he will definitely go on to make a big score. I hope I'm wrong but I think James Anderson will trouble him greatly.

Shan Masood plays his best cricket when he is playing his natural game. He is naturally not a defensive player & likes to play his shots. I have been following his career for a long time. Even in his best test series against SA, he played his shots.

And somehow, Younus Khan always brings the best in him. Infact, Shan used to struggle against spin a lot in his early days & I remember him saying that Younus Khan helped him a lot in the nets to improve his play against spin.

Shan's attitude is what I love about him. He is never shy to admit his shortcomings & is always willing to train hard & he continuesly strives to improve himself as a player.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're absolutely right about Abid. If he survives initially against the new ball, he will definitely go on to make a big score. I hope I'm wrong but I think James Anderson will trouble him greatly.

Shan Masood plays his best cricket when he is playing his natural game. He is naturally not a defensive player & likes to play his shots. I have been following his career for a long time. Even in his best test series against SA, he played his shots.

And somehow, Younus Khan always brings the best in him. Infact, Shan used to struggle against spin a lot in his early days & I remember him saying that Younus Khan helped him a lot in the nets to improve his play against spin.

Shan's attitude is what I love about him. He is never shy to admit his shortcomings & is always willing to train hard & he continuesly strives to improve himself as a player.
    That’s true about Shan. I’ve gone from severely disliking him to being a big fan. I just think he needs to get some big innings - and if he does that in this series - I fully believe he should become captain of the Test team for the next 3-5 years while Babar matures.

Abid is at the twilight of his career but we can get some useful runs out of him for the next few years.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    871 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Time will say

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I stand by Shan - he will have the best chance to stay at the wicket as he opens the innings.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I can assure you, it wont be Azhar Ali if he bats like that.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Shan Masood for me

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post

Just like I said - Shan is sticking it out and in his 40s at the 40 over mark. We need to be patient with Abid and give him the whole series - when he gets set he will take the game away from England like Babar does. It just won’t happen anywhere near as consistently.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Babar looks like leading the charge at the moment but I feel Shan has the staying power.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Big day for Shan and Babar - both capable of giving a good run for money for the number one scorer spot

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Shan the top guy at the moment.