chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    641 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Thousands march in Berlin against coronavirus curbs

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN24X3RZ

BERLIN (Reuters) - Thousands marched in Berlin on Saturday to protest against measures imposed in Germany to stem the coronavirus pandemic, saying they violated people’s rights and freedoms.

The gathering, estimated by police at 17,000, included libertarians, constitutional loyalists and anti-vaccination activists. There was also a small far-right presence with some marchers carrying Germany’s black, white and red imperial flag.

Protesters danced and sang ‘We are free people!’ to the tune of rock band Queen’s ‘We Will Rock You’. Others marched with placards saying ‘We are making a noise because you are stealing our freedom!’ and ‘Do think! Don’t wear a mask!’.

“Our demand is to return to democracy,” said one protester who declined to give his name. “The mask that enslaves us must go.”

The protests followed a rallying call from Michael Ballweg, an entrepreneur and political outsider who has organised similar rallies in Stuttgart and is running to become mayor of the southwestern city.

Police filed a complaint against the organiser for failing to ensure marchers wore masks and kept their distance. Mainstream politicians criticised the protesters, with Social Democrat co-leader Saskia Esken calling them “covidiots”.

“They not only endanger our health, they endanger our successes against the pandemic,” tweeted Esken, whose party is Chancellor Angela Merkel’s coalition partner.

Slideshow (5 Images)
    After Germany’s initial success in curbing the pandemic, infections are rising again. More than 200,000 people have caught COVID-19 and nearly 1,000 have died from it.

Most people in Germany have respected measures that include wearing face masks in shops, while the government has just imposed mandatory tests for holidaymakers returning from high-risk areas.

But a vocal minority is chafing against the restrictions.

“Only a few scientists around the world who follow the government’s lead are heard,” said protester Peter Konz. Those who hold different views “are silenced, censored or discredited as defenders of conspiracy theories”.

Reporting by Reuters TV, Writing by Douglas Busvine; Editing by Giles Elgood

In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alot of people dont believe in this virus anymore. I see people without masks all the time. This sentiment will only increase.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    641 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Germany is first world among the first world, and if people over there are feeling this then I wouldn't necessarily blame other nations have their conspiracy beliefs.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Germany is first world among the first world, and if people over there are feeling this then I wouldn't necessarily blame other nations have their conspiracy beliefs.
    Stupidity is shared amongst 1st, 2nd and 3rd world's population.

Police should have fined all these so called "protestors".

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone I know is now showing symptoms... high temperature and extreme fatigue and body ache.
    Spent two days in best so far and has never felt so bad.

Will get results on Tuesday...

This thing is very real.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    164 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Someone I know is now showing symptoms... high temperature and extreme fatigue and body ache.

This thing is very real.
    If you are in contact, you should get yourself tested too. Better to prepare early than making it complicated.

Hope that person will recover soon without any complicacy.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    If you are in contact, you should get yourself tested too. Better to prepare early than making it complicated.

Hope that person will recover soon without any complicacy.
    Fortunately it’s been a while since I met her (about 21 days).....

She has no underlying issues that anyone is aware of and is pretty fit so hopefully she’ll recover soon.... but it’s scary when she describes what she’s going through...

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Dozens of police injured in Berlin protests against virus curbs

Some 45 police officers were injured in a wave of weekend demonstrations in Berlin including protests against coronavirus restrictions, police said as protesters gathered again in smaller numbers on Sunday.

The unruly protests, in which many demonstrators failed to wear masks or respect social distancing rules, have sparked a chorus of condemnation including calls for tougher penalties against those who violate restrictions aimed at curbing transmission of the deadly virus.

A total of 133 people were arrested during Saturday's protests, which included a huge "day of freedom" demo against coronavirus restrictions, police said in a statement on Sunday.

The arrests were for offences including resisting police officers, breach of the peace and the use of unconstitutional symbols. Three officers required hospital treatment, police said.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    641 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhenSultansBowled View Post
    Stupidity is shared amongst 1st, 2nd and 3rd world's population.

Police should have fined all these so called "protestors".
    Not a lot can be done anymore I think public listened to the authorities long enough not sure if they can for another months.

-Virat Kohli

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    641 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post

This thing is very real.
    I have already come to know of 2 that died(above 70 though) ,3 on ventilator and 4 who got it are ok now , it is real and painful, unfortunately a lot of people are still hiding it.

-Virat Kohli