Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

POTW : KingOfPakBreakfast

The Shan Masood debate shows no sign of ending soon but congratulations to POTW winner @KingOfPakBreakfast for spelling it out for us in simple terms - much appreciated!

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...7#post10824887

Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    So, there are a number of factors why Shan Masood keeps getting selected:

a) He made an impressive return away to South Africa in 2019 (albeit, relative to his previously poor form as v1.0). This displays a very unpakistani trait of trying to improve one's self after being *completely* written off in his first stint. It also shows mental toughness;

b) He's a good fielder and is one of the fittest members of the squad. This sets a good example, especially to the young 'uns;

c) He also works extra hard to compensate for the regular labels of nepotism, that he faces. (Interestingly, Imam has a similar trait);

d) He can bowl a few overs, which in the current Test line up, is a plus, especially in Haris Sohail's absence;

e) He showed some admirable leadership skills in the PSL. Granted it's a different format, but he marshalled his resources well and was not afraid to try different bowling combos to force things in a game. In a Pakistani test team that clearly has a lack of leaders, he's a useful voice;

f) I realise you mention the English accent in your post, but he generally comes across as a likeable guy, a 'team man' if you will;

g) He's currently opening, and the management will want to back him, to foster confidence.

However, at end of the day, Shan has to justify his place in the team based on his *aptitude as a batsmen* rather than his other positive aspects. And whilst he has definitely improved from V1.0, there's still a clear, justifiable feeling amongst fans that the guy is punching above his weight at this level. The warm match performances further embolden that feeling.

His batting average in England at 17.00, is not great. He also comes across as nervy at the crease, when ideally you want your openers to be ice cold. He has a habit of dangling his bat outside his off stump, when it's crucial to play the ball late in England. And I'm absolutely not looking forward to him vs Broad.

But he will play for the reasons a) to g) above .

In closing, in my view the reason Shan is in the team, without much public outcry, is because people do actually want him to do well. However, based on past (And recent warm-up) performances, he should not play.

Imam has the higher ceiling, albeit he has similar issues with playing the ball late. Out if the two, it would be Imam who plays. Fakhar is an interesting shout, in that he may put off the English quicks by attacking them, but given his technical deficiencies, he'll get ruthlessly exposed.

For the future, In the domestic scene, Sami Aslam is a quarter of the professional Shan is, but has a much higher upside.

Abdullah Shafique is another young prospect with much potential.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    441 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

Bangladeshi Fan

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2346 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Well done!

I agree, the exclusion of Sami Aslam is insane, considering his prior record in England.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Congrats great post, Shan Masood works hard but at this level I agree he is punching above his weight, it will take an enormous amount of mental fortitude and grit consistently for him to hold his spot as a reasonably succesful opener for Pakistan, does he have it in him ? I don't know, but I agree there is more upside with other openers.

In Pakistan, anyone can correct me if I am wrong but I don't think there is an opener who actually knows where his off stump is other then Sami Aslam, a shocking ommission for the tour of England because this will be very key at the top of the order

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4708 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I would like to see Fakhar personally just for the bants on commentary and he might even play a blinder here and there lols, no doubt it would be entertaining in any case, @Markhor am buying a NOW TV sky sports monthly pass for this specific purpose and the prospect of watching the Pakistani batting line up at its best

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks all, much appreciated

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats KingOfPakBreakfast

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An excellent post. Congrats!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really good post and sums up why / how Shan has managed to turn his career around.

Ultimately he needs to make runs and this series will be crucial for him.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Summed up well.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2564 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    For people trying to understand what Shan is all about, I urge them to read the POTW in post #1.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    For people trying to understand what Shan is all about, I urge them to read the POTW in post #1.
    To be honest the last one hour of Shan’s innings today was rather poor. There is a mental glitch somewhere in him. The way he panicked in his 40s, it appeared like he was batting on 299 trying to reach a triple hundred. A well set opener should get better and better with every 10 runs scored. In Shan’s case it was the opposite today.

I do like to back him though. But he still needs to do better.