Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Given the viewing numbers on TV, shouldn't Pakistan be playing a 4-5 match series vs England?

Those who fear for the future of Test cricket may be encouraged by Sky's viewing figures.

The recent visit of the West Indies was the highest-rated series of all time on Sky Sports in terms of average viewing while Saturday's thrilling conclusion of England v Pakistan saw a peak of more than 1.7million across the main event and cricket channels.

That is a record non-Ashes peak and the second-highest for Tests on Sky.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/othersports/article-8609891/SPORTS-AGENDA-Tim-Henman-family-play-centre-court.html[/url]

===

Pakistan a more lucrative touring team than India is a great prospect for England.

Firmly believe they should go back to playing 4 test
    Last edited by MenInG; 10th August 2020 at 22:13.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Good point - but could this be due to Covid and the fact that people just starved of elite sport?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Good point - but could this be due to Covid and the fact that people just starved of elite sport?
    Clearly this is the main reason and also the fact that lockdown will have significantly increased the number of people spending their days sitting on a sofa in front of the TV and living an inactive lifestyle, and donít forget many people are working from home now even where the lockdown is finished who would probably also have tuned in to the live cricket.

Of course thereís still a lockdown ongoing in places like Manchester and Bradford which have large Pakistani and cricket loving populations, no prizes for guessing what most of them were watching on the TV last week.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect viewership to decrease after this loss.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I think Sky's contract with ECB is 6 home Tests per summer.

ECB have also scheduled a white ball series vs Australia this summer so the fixture list is fairly crammed.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does this invalidate all the claims that cricket is a dying sport in UK? Or do we just assume this is just Covid related and ratings will come back to what they were as/when normal returns?

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is easily one of the hot cakes in the UK. Aside from Australia, most white English crowd would like to watch Pakistan over other sub continent teams like India, Bangladesh or Sri Lanka. There can be many reasons for this, one of them in particular is the brand of cricket we play and Pakistani cricketers of course have always had the reputation of being alpha-males from the times of Imran, Majid and Javed.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan don't deserve a 5 test match series.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Why ?

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Why ?
    Let's assume that ECB is willing and does change to 5 tests series. Will the PCB do the same when it's their turn to host? PCB's actions have been to reduce number of tests when it's on their dime.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by U$ofA View Post
    Let's assume that ECB is willing and does change to 5 tests series. Will the PCB do the same when it's their turn to host? PCB's actions have been to reduce number of tests when it's on their dime.
    Only under Najam Sethi. Otherwise we usually like tests and especially Wasim Khan is promoting more test cricket.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    274 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Does this invalidate all the claims that cricket is a dying sport in UK? Or do we just assume this is just Covid related and ratings will come back to what they were as/when normal returns?
    Cricket is a dying sport in the UK, although it will always have a small but loyal following. England are currently one of the more exciting and successful teams so interest is at a peak. That along with Pakistan's bowling - which is pretty decent - got the fans onside as it was a competitive game. Once they suss out that Pakistan's batting is 3rd grade, the interest will probably die off as I just don't think they will score enough runs to stay in the games to come.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Only under Najam Sethi. Otherwise we usually like tests and especially Wasim Khan is promoting more test cricket.
    Not so sure going by past PCB actions. Let's see what the current administration will do. There is one unplayed test with BD. I am fairly certain that it will not be rescheduled and will never be played.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Cricket is a dying sport in the UK, although it will always have a small but loyal following. England are currently one of the more exciting and successful teams so interest is at a peak. That along with Pakistan's bowling - which is pretty decent - got the fans onside as it was a competitive game. Once they suss out that Pakistan's batting is 3rd grade, the interest will probably die off as I just don't think they will score enough runs to stay in the games to come.
    Seems pretty much a consensus. Which why this spike surprised me.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 5-match test series are only fun when teams have match winning fast bowlers who are capable of taking big wicket hauls and dominating a test series. 1992 Eng v Pak series is a good example, Wasim and Waqar made that series something special where we will remember it forever.

Imran v India in early 80s in a 5 match series was another example.

Those were legends but aside
    from that they were wicket taking and attacking bowlers , still hoping some day we might get to see such attacking and destructive fast bowlers again.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give an example were Pakistan has gone to country and played more tests and when it comes to playing in pakistan or Uae they gsve the opposition less tests

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why ?
    Because we are 7th in the test rankings and have been rubbish in tests for years.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    ECB will never offer 5 tests to Pakistan. Mark my words.

Btw PCB will never offer anyone 5 tests. They prefer T20s.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Give an example were Pakistan has gone to country and played more tests and when it comes to playing in pakistan or Uae they gsve the opposition less tests
    I can give you an example of where PCB played no tests at all. PCB completely brushed a whole home test series under the carpet. This is against Aus. a few years ago it was replaced with ODI's. Of course the official statement from PCB was that it will be rescheduled. Which it still has not.

If I remember correctly, I think there was a series agains WI that was reduced to 2 tests from 3 in a home series.

I think a similar fate will fall upon the unplayed test vs. BD. Good chance that this will be in a perennial state of rescheduled.
    Last edited by U$ofA; 11th August 2020 at 23:47.

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ECB will never offer 5 tests to Pakistan. Mark my words.

Btw PCB will never offer anyone 5 tests. They prefer T20s.
    PCB has been interested in ODI's and T20I's I would say over the last decade or so. They have shown very little interest in hosting tests. I am guessing mainly because tests are a financial loss draining their coffers off the $$$ they make off ODI's and T20I's.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 tests feels like a pretty long time to be in a bio-secure bubble, though we haven't heard anything negative coming from the camp yet.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be fair Wasim Khan has confirmed they will play a minimum of 3 test from now on in a series.

I think Pakistan really do need to play a lot more test cricket in a year to improve , its unfair to expect improvements when you are playing much less test cricket then the other teams in world

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forward Defensive Push View Post
    one of them in particular is the brand of cricket we play and Pakistani cricketers of course have always had the reputation of being alpha-males from the times of Imran, Majid and Javed.
    This made me cackle.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think 5-match series is a bit too much.

4-match series is fine.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 test series is boring. Should be 4 test series or even better 3 test series every 3 years when it involves exciting contests like Ind-Pak, SA-Aus, Ind-Aus, Pak-Eng, Eng-WI etc.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am happy Pakistan isn't playing 2 test series like in 2018, worst thing possible. Hope you guys play 3 test series in Aus and NZ as well.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A flamboyant and alpha team like Pakistan deserves 5 tests in England.
    Babar Naseem and Shaheen are box office hits.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2633 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    ECB and Sky frustrated as England's second Test with Pakistan in Southampton dribbles to draw amid calls for rule changes over bad weather

Cricket was on Monday night under pressure to radically change its inflexible bad weather regulations after the second England v Pakistan Test ended in the dampest of squibs with an inevitable draw.

The start of the final day of a match littered with embarrassing hold-ups hugely damaging to Test cricket was delayed until 3.20pm on Monday even though there had been no rain at the Ageas Bowl since 11.15am.

Sportsmail understands the ECB are ‘frustrated’ at the last five days after putting so much work and money into getting Test cricket on in this Covid summer.

They will now change their rules to start rain-affected Tests earlier than their set-in-stone time of 11am each day.

Sky Sports, meanwhile, say they are ‘as disappointed as anyone’ at the situation but they will surely demand answers as to why there was so little play. The broadcaster cannot be happy at such a small return for their huge investment and it would not be a surprise if they made an official complaint to the ICC and the ECB.

England captain Joe Root agreed with the idea of starting earlier but defended the actions of the umpires. ‘We could start half an hour earlier if we lose time,’ he said after Monday’s play.

‘We have had a week of strange circumstances and it’s not often you see bad light playing such a big part in a five-day game. The ground staff did all they could and I do think it’s harsh to blame the umpires here. It needs to be looked at higher up the chain.

‘The hard thing was to understand how wet certain areas were and how long it would take to get rid of them. As players, we don’t want to sit on the sidelines. We want to play exciting Test cricket. So as long as it’s safe we want to get out there.

‘But batting can be hard in bad light and it can be dangerous for the umpires if someone crunches one at them so there’s a lot to be looked at.’

Meanwhile, the ICC’s cricket committee, chaired by former India leg-spinner Anil Kumble, will lead the calls for change by looking to amend regulations concerning the lack of play under floodlights.

ICC’s elite umpire panel are now also likely to be urged to re-think their interpretation of Law 2.71 on the safety of players which says ‘conditions should not be regarded as either dangerous or unreasonable merely because they are not ideal’.

Kumble’s committee could also advocate increased use of a pink ball in Tests, possibly as a substitute to the red one when the light is poor.

At least Hampshire, who have put so much effort into staging three Tests this summer, appear to be in the clear.

Sportsmail understands there are no official concerns over the Ageas Bowl drainage nor the ground staff who displayed a distinct lack of urgency to get the show on the road until the final morning when the penny finally dropped.

England went through the motions in what little play was left yesterday to end on 110 for four declared, in reply to Pakistan’s first innings 236 but the whole Test was dogged by the issue of rain and bad light.

Monday’s delay was the final straw in a Test destined for controversy from the moment the English umpires Richard Kettleborough and Michael Gough took a conservative bad light reading on the first day. What followed was a litany of cricketing own goals which may yet see those officials sanctioned by their bosses at the ICC.

The first signs of intransigence came when the players trooped off for lunch after just an hour of the second day even though half the first day had been lost to the elements.

Then that bad light reading came back to haunt the umpires when their template was reached with Pakistan on 223 for nine even though Pakistan’s Mohammad Rizwan looked in complete control and the players on both sides appeared happy to carry on.

Following the third-day washout play was again held up after the delayed start to day four when the players called for sawdust to use on damp patches that had been left exposed by ground staff. That fourth day was abandoned before 4pm, with ground staff insisting it would take three hours to get the outfield fit for play, just as the sun began shining.

Then Sky, who bankroll the domestic game to the tune of hundreds of millions, had a request to interview the umpires to explain what had been going on turned down by the ICC, another PR disaster.

It all risks driving away the record TV audiences of this behind-closed-doors Test summer. The inquest into what has been dubbed The Farce Show could be a tipping point for the Test game and the ICC.

Central to that inquest will be the role of umpires who have been uncompromising in their interpretation of the regulations.

For instance, playing conditions do allow for some flexibility in light meter readings when they say the first bad-light judgment ‘may’ be used as the benchmark for the rest of the game rather than ‘must’. That leeway was ignored by Kettleborough, Gough and off-field umpires Richard Illingworth and Martin Saggers.

Administrators have been stung by the backlash of the last five excruciating days — now the onus is on them to do something about it.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cr...bles-draw.html

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter