Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Arsenal FC | 2020/21 Season

Arsenal have a tough set of opening Premier League fixtures to negotiate, playing Liverpool, Manchester City and Manchester United all away from home in the first seven games.

Mikel Arteta has a solid platform to build from after finishing the season on a positive note with a surprise win in the FA Cup but the three tough away days could dent any early momentum they were after for the 2020/21 season. In the Premier League, the Gunners have not won an away match against a 'big-six' side in their last 25 attempts.

A trip to newly promoted Fulham is their opening day fixture, followed by another London derby at The Emirates against West Ham.

Fans may be allowed back into stadiums by the time Arsenal face Tottenham in the first north London derby of the season on December 5 with the corresponding fixture at The Emirates set for March 13. Arsenal end the season with a home fixture against Brighton on May 23.

ARSENAL'S PREMIER LEAGUE 2020/21 FIXTURES

September

12: Fulham (a)

19: West Ham (h)

26: Liverpool (a)

October

3: Sheffield United (h)

17: Manchester City (a)

24: Leicester (h)

31: Manchester United (a)

November

7: Aston Villa (h)

21: Leeds United (a)

28: Wolves (h)

December

5: Tottenham (a)

12: Burnley (h)

15: Southampton (h)

19: Everton (a)

26: Chelsea (h)

28: Brighton (a)

January

2: West Brom (a)

12: Crystal Palace (h)

16: Newcastle (h)

27: Southampton (a)

30: Manchester United (h)

February

3: Wolves (a)

6: Aston Villa (a)

13: Leeds (h)

20: Manchester City (h)

27: Leicester City (a)

March

6: Burnley (a)

13: Tottenham (h)

20: West Ham (a)

April

3: Liverpool (h)

10: Sheffield United (h)

17: Fulham (h)

24: Everton (h)

May

1: Newcastle (a)

8: West Brom (h)

12: Chelsea (a)

15: Crystal Palace (a)

23: Brighton (h)

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...league-2020-21

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Freddie Ljungberg leaves Arsenal coaching job to pursue management role

Freddie Ljungberg has left his role as first-team assistant at Arsenal to pursue a role in management.

The former Gunners winger returned to the club in 2018 after spending two seasons as assistant manager of Wolfsburg.

Ljungberg had coached the Arsenal U15 and U23 squads before moving to Germany.

The 43-year-old said: "I have decided to leave my first-team assistant coaching role at Arsenal to progress my management experience.

"I have been involved with this club on and off since 1998 and am grateful for all the opportunities they have given me both as a player and as a coach.

"I wish Mikel [Arteta] and all the team every success for the season ahead. Thanks also to the fans for their constant support and for always being by my side. I hope we will all meet again soon."

Ljungberg stayed on as assistant coach to Arteta when the Spaniard was named Unai Emery's successor in December, but has now decided to leave Arsenal for a new challenge.

Arsenal head coach Arteta said: "Freddie has been a really important member of my team since my arrival. He did a great job picking the team up when Unai left and we all have 100 per cent respect for him as a man and a coach.

"I know I'll be facing him on the touchline in the future."

Arsenal technical director Edu, a former team-mate of Ljungberg added: "We're really sad to see Freddie leave as we know how much he loves Arsenal.

"However, we know he has had various opportunities over the last 12 months and stuck to the job at Arsenal. Now he has the opportunity to consider other options, and it makes sense for his career at this time.

"Freddie has made a huge contribution in his coaching role, most importantly when he led the team during that difficult period between Unai's departure and Mikel's appointment.

"We will forever be grateful for what he did then and what he's done since but fully recognise his desire to move on and be a head coach himself."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...anagement-role

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon @topspin, Gabriel done. Rumours we will activate Partey release clause soon. We want to bring Ceballos back , could get Coutinho or Auoar. Sokratis and Mustafi potentially leaving.

Starting to believe the good times are coming back.

Arteta is changing the culture and mentality of the club.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    @Mamoon @topspin, Gabriel done. Rumours we will activate Partey release clause soon. We want to bring Ceballos back , could get Coutinho or Auoar. Sokratis and Mustafi potentially leaving.

Starting to believe the good times are coming back.

Arteta is changing the culture and mentality of the club.
    Good to see us active in the transfer market.

Before we get excited about Gabriel, we should remember that we signed Pepe from Lille as well and he turned out to be a flop. I really hope the new recruit from the French club will be a lot more promising. We've also witnessed Lacazette struggle to make the transition from Ligue 1 to the PL so I will remain sceptical of signings from the inferior French league.

If we can sell Sokratis, Mustafi and Lacazette, hopefully we can raise £70-£80m.

It's important we can retain Ceballos on loan and if we can convince Coutinho to join us for a season that would round up a great transfer window for Arsenal.
    Last edited by topspin; 23rd August 2020 at 19:11.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    Good to see us active in the transfer market.

Before we get excited about Gabriel, we should remember that we signed Pepe from Lille as well and he turned out to be a flop. I really hope the new recruit from the French club will be a lot more promising. We've also witnessed Lacazette struggle to make the transition from Ligue 1 to the PL so I will remain sceptical of signings from the inferior French league.

If we can sell Sokratis, Mustafi and Lacazette, hopefully we can raise £70-£80m.

It's important we can retain Ceballos on loan and if we can convince Coutinho to join us for a season that would round up a great transfer window for Arsenal.

Gabriel is a modern day CB. I'm confident he will do well. He wi need time for adaption.

Seen rumours we should get Ceballos on another loan deal. Hopefully we get Partey and an attacking midfielder. I will very confident of getting champions league football if we can do this.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wolves are in advanced talks with Arsenal over a four-year deal for Ainsley Maitland-Niles.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    Wolves are in advanced talks with Arsenal over a four-year deal for Ainsley Maitland-Niles.
    Not a good decision in my opinion, he's young, he's skilful, he can cover a lot of positions, and has looked far better at full back than any of our actual full backs (except Tierney). Says a lot that Arteta chose him over the others to play in the FA Cup semis and final. He's put in a lot of big performances, those ones at Wembley, dominated Adama when we won at Wolves.

We have a lot worse players that we're keeping instead of him, crazy decision.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a good decision in my opinion, he's young, he's skilful, he can cover a lot of positions, and has looked far better at full back than any of our actual full backs (except Tierney). Says a lot that Arteta chose him over the others to play in the FA Cup semis and final. He's put in a lot of big performances, those ones at Wembley, dominated Adama when we won at Wolves.

We have a lot worse players that we're keeping instead of him, crazy decision.
    He is being sold so we can use the funds to buy elsewhere and also the player wants to leave . Not much we can do.

I am massive fan of the player.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is being sold so we can use the funds to buy elsewhere and also the player wants to leave . Not much we can do.

I am massive fan of the player.
    I do hope that's true. If we do pull off our top targets, Partey, Aouar, Ceballos etc then I would be delighted to forgive this sell. But as things stand, I'm not very convinced.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do hope that's true. If we do pull off our top targets, Partey, Aouar, Ceballos etc then I would be delighted to forgive this sell. But as things stand, I'm not very convinced.
    If you don't believe that we will reinvest from player sales I don't know what to say.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you don't believe that we will reinvest from player sales I don't know what to say.
    How much do you reckon we'll get from his sale?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How much do you reckon we'll get from his sale?
    The problem is clubs know Arsenal want to sell so they will offer less than players value.

It's well known Arsenal want rid of Guendouzi yet no team is willing to pay his value.

Personally I see Arsenal raising about 80 million in sales. I could see Lacazette,Nelson, or Bellerin being sacrificed to ensure Arsenal get funds to strengthen the midfield.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reinvest in who and for how much is the problem. If we needed the extra 20m from this sale to afford another grossly overpriced player like Pepe, you really wouldn't mind that? You want this guy to be the next Reine-Adelaide or Gnabry so we can afford another Mari or Cedric? Forgive me if my trust in our transfers has waned

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Reinvest in who and for how much is the problem. If we needed the extra 20m from this sale to afford another grossly overpriced player like Pepe, you really wouldn't mind that? You want this guy to be the next Reine-Adelaide or Gnabry so we can afford another Mari or Cedric? Forgive me if my trust in our transfers has waned
    Pepe is going to prove a lot of people wrong. Trust me he is quality.

I think the sales we make will go towards Partey and an attacking midfielder. We have enough defenders and it looks like we will trust the attack we have. Maybe if Lacazette is sold we will get a centre forward.

Arteta and Edu have a plan. I trust in them.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The problem is clubs know Arsenal want to sell so they will offer less than players value.

It's well known Arsenal want rid of Guendouzi yet no team is willing to pay his value.

Personally I see Arsenal raising about 80 million in sales. I could see Lacazette,Nelson, or Bellerin being sacrificed to ensure Arsenal get funds to strengthen the midfield.
    I think we can easily raise £80m but the lack of progress with the proposed sales is concerning however.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think the sales we make will go towards Partey and an attacking midfielder. We have enough defenders and it looks like we will trust the attack we have. Maybe if Lacazette is sold we will get a centre forward.

It will be interesting to see how he fares in comparison to Chelsea's Ziyech.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't doubt he's quality, I doubt he's £75 mil quality. That's not me criticising him, he literally was not on the market for that much money. Lille were asking for something closer to 50, and when other clubs heard we were paying 70+ they quickly backed off. That transfer was the epitome of either boardroom incompetence or corruption. For a club so embedded in this self-reliance and sell-to-buy model, that was completely unforgivable. Edu was part of that setup. Don't know how much he had to do with it, but he was there.

I very much trust Arteta. That's why I believed him when he said he wasn't sure if he was going to get backed sufficiently in his post match interview after the league win at home vs Liverpool, and that it's a big concern for him. Edu however will have to earn my trust by getting good efficient transfer business done.

I have an open mind, and I am incredibly hopeful of where Arteta can take us. But our transfer record has started me in a more pessimistic mindset to begin with, seemingly similar to the one Arteta himself currently has.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think we can easily raise £80m but the lack of progress with the proposed sales is concerning however.
    As I said teams know Arsenal are desperate so they will make low offers towards the end of the window meaning Arsenal may have to accept.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't doubt he's quality, I doubt he's £75 mil quality. That's not me criticising him, he literally was not on the market for that much money. Lille were asking for something closer to 50, and when other clubs heard we were paying 70+ they quickly backed off. That transfer was the epitome of either boardroom incompetence or corruption. For a club so embedded in this self-reliance and sell-to-buy model, that was completely unforgivable. Edu was part of that setup. Don't know how much he had to do with it, but he was there.

I very much trust Arteta. That's why I believed him when he said he wasn't sure if he was going to get backed sufficiently in his post match interview after the league win at home vs Liverpool, and that it's a big concern for him. Edu however will have to earn my trust by getting good efficient transfer business done.

I have an open mind, and I am incredibly hopeful of where Arteta can take us. But our transfer record has started me in a more pessimistic mindset to begin with, seemingly similar to the one Arteta himself currently has.
    When Pepe was at Lille he was playing in a counter attacking team. He is now having to adapt to a team that will dominate the ball more. We saw against City and Chelsea that he is showing signs of improvement. We did over pay for Pepe but it was because he could make a difference. I am confident that he will come good.

Gabriel Magalhaes agent said Edu persuaded him to come to Arsenal despite higher money offers elsewhere. So Edu has started off well there.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When Pepe was at Lille he was playing in a counter attacking team. He is now having to adapt to a team that will dominate the ball more. We saw against City and Chelsea that he is showing signs of improvement. We did over pay for Pepe but it was because he could make a difference. I am confident that he will come good.

Gabriel Magalhaes agent said Edu persuaded him to come to Arsenal despite higher money offers elsewhere. So Edu has started off well there.
    You misunderstand. I too believe he is a fantastic player and that he will come good. The point is that we could and should have got him for a far lower price (regardless of whether you think he is worth 75 mil). The reason we didn't is not because he can make a difference, he still would have been a fantastic player for us if we had bought him for 50 mil (Lille's asking price).

Incompetence and/or corruption with many of the funds (willingly or not) getting tied up in agent fees and bonuses is the reason we overpaid for Pepe when we did not need to. We are so strapped for cash that wasting this extra 20 mil (the value we are selling AMN for) is entirely inexcusable. If you cannot see the issue with this, then I don't know what to say.

Edu may have been involved or it may have been mostly down to Raul Sanllehi, who has now left, so this issue is not relevant anymore.

This is why I have reservations about our ability to reinvest funds, especially from such a promising young player. But again, I have an open mind.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You misunderstand. I too believe he is a fantastic player and that he will come good. The point is that we could and should have got him for a far lower price (regardless of whether you think he is worth 75 mil). The reason we didn't is not because he can make a difference, he still would have been a fantastic player for us if we had bought him for 50 mil (Lille's asking price).

Incompetence and/or corruption with many of the funds (willingly or not) getting tied up in agent fees and bonuses is the reason we overpaid for Pepe when we did not need to. We are so strapped for cash that wasting this extra 20 mil (the value we are selling AMN for) is entirely inexcusable. If you cannot see the issue with this, then I don't know what to say.

Edu may have been involved or it may have been mostly down to Raul Sanllehi, who has now left, so this issue is not relevant anymore.

This is why I have reservations about our ability to reinvest funds, especially from such a promising young player. But again, I have an open mind.
    Sometimes you have to overpay for players. It's not our money so don't understand why you making such a big deal about overpaying.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes you have to overpay for players. It's not our money so don't understand why you making such a big deal about overpaying.
    Because if we don't overpay we don't have to sell our key players to buy more ones...

I don't think you understand what a self-reliant business model is.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Because if we don't overpay we don't have to sell our key players to buy more ones...

I don't think you understand what a self-reliant business model is.
    I understand what a self reliant business model is. The problem is in the past Arsenal have made worse recruitment decisions than Pepe and not sold at the right time. He.ce were in this position right now.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand what a self reliant business model is. The problem is in the past Arsenal have made worse recruitment decisions than Pepe and not sold at the right time. He.ce were in this position right now.
    Yes I agree. All the more reason why mistakes like Pepe are costly, as we are digging ourselves deeper in this hole. Thank you for providing more points for me why Arsenal's player reinvestment is clearly broken.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    AMN is a bog average player who will never amount to anything. If Arsenal can get him off the wage bill and get some money they should drive him directly to Wolverhampton.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Only Barcelona have made worse decisions than Arsenal as far as played recruitment in the last 3-4 years is concerned, and only because they have a lot more money and pull to play with.

The signing of Pepe is the worst bit of transfer business the club has done in the last few years. Complete shambles.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    It is actually quite simple. Any player who is between the ages of 20 and 32 cannot be elite quality if he joins Arsenal.

An elite player in that age group will be snapped by bigger clubs. You have to be complete bonkers as a player to move to this shambles of a club if you could choose from the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, PSG, Juventus, City, United, Liverpool, Atletico, Dortmund, Chelsea, Juventus etc.

Pepe joined Arsenal at 24. If he was the world class winger that we think he can be, he would have been snapped up by any of the aforementioned clubs.

He is a mentally weak, inconsistent and average footballer who does not have the potential to play for a top club. No wonder Bayern turned down the chance to sign him and he wasn’t pursued by other top clubs.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is actually quite simple. Any player who is between the ages of 20 and 32 cannot be elite quality if he joins Arsenal.

An elite player in that age group will be snapped by bigger clubs. You have to be complete bonkers as a player to move to this shambles of a club if you could choose from the likes of Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern, PSG, Juventus, City, United, Liverpool, Atletico, Dortmund, Chelsea, Juventus etc.

Pepe joined Arsenal at 24. If he was the world class winger that we think he can be, he would have been snapped up by any of the aforementioned clubs.

He is a mentally weak, inconsistent and average footballer who does not have the potential to play for a top club. No wonder Bayern turned down the chance to sign him and he wasn’t pursued by other top clubs.
    Are you an Arsenal fan?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    Are you an Arsenal fan?
    Unfortunately. A cricket lover born in Pakistan who happens to support Arsenal in football. You cannot find a worse, more unfortunate combination. It is a special type of misery.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately. A cricket lover born in Pakistan who happens to support Arsenal in football. You cannot find a worse, more unfortunate combination. It is a special type of misery.
    Arsenal had their time during the golden run of the early 2000's still and while Arsenal have their fair share of asian supporters at least not a glory hunter who blindly supports Man U or Liverpool

Ah, so this is what it feels like

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I said teams know Arsenal are desperate so they will make low offers towards the end of the window meaning Arsenal may have to accept.
    Apparently AMN is gonna be sold for £20m. I think Wolves have got a bargain there. He's worth more than that and with English you normally have to pay a premium (up to double in some cases). I value him £30-40m.

Assuming he's sold for £20m there's no reason why we can't raise £80m - £100m after selling the following players:

Lacazette - £30m
    Guendozi - £25m
    Sokratis - £15m
    Mustafi - £10m

Even with my conservative estimates it wouldn't be far fetched to say we could easily raise £100m if Arsenal can sell of them in time before the transfer window closes.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You're not alone

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    AMN is a bog average player who will never amount to anything. If Arsenal can get him off the wage bill and get some money they should drive him directly to Wolverhampton.
    One of my friends (who is a Man United fan) values him at £80m

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Now that Messi has decided to leave, Arsenal should immediately contact his representatives.

No 10 shirt, captaincy and plus a huge paycheck.

There is no harm in asking. If there ever was a 0.00000000001% chance of seeing the GOAT at Arsenal, now is the time.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Apparently AMN is gonna be sold for £20m. I think Wolves have got a bargain there. He's worth more than that and with English you normally have to pay a premium (up to double in some cases). I value him £30-40m.

Assuming he's sold for £20m there's no reason why we can't raise £80m - £100m after selling the following players:

Lacazette - £30m
    Guendozi - £25m
    Sokratis - £15m
    Mustafi - £10m

Even with my conservative estimates it wouldn't be far fetched to say we could easily raise £100m if Arsenal can sell of them in time before the transfer window closes.
    AMN should be our starting RB but if he wants to leave there is not much we can do. 20 million is a good price as he isn't a regular starter.

I wouldn't rule out Laca being swapped for Partey as Atletico can't spend big and they have wanted him in the past.

Lol we aren't getting 15 million for Sokratis. There is talk he wants his contract to be terminated so he can be let go for free.

I think Torreira,Chambers ,and Holding will be sold if we get a good offer.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only Barcelona have made worse decisions than Arsenal as far as played recruitment in the last 3-4 years is concerned, and only because they have a lot more money and pull to play with.

The signing of Pepe is the worst bit of transfer business the club has done in the last few years. Complete shambles.
    This is not true. What Chelsea did between 2016-2018 is probably going to be the worst transfer window in history of European football. We bough Kepa and Drinkwater for 100m pound and overpaid for Bakayoko, Zaooacosta and Batshuyai. Add to that we paid 57 m for Jorginho which should not have been more than 40m.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is not true as well. Arsenal did really well to get Auba for a very reasonable price. He is easily top 3 striker in the world.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RajBan View Post
    This is not true as well. Arsenal did really well to get Auba for a very reasonable price. He is easily top 3 striker in the world.
    Don’tt let the truth get in the way of a good story which his friends lap up with aplomb

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta is "pretty confident" captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will sign a new contract.

The 31-year-old Gabon striker, who joined the Gunners from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018, has a year remaining on his current contract.

"We have had some really good talks with him and his agent and I am pretty confident we will find an agreement soon. That's my feeling," said Arteta.

Arteta is also "pretty positive" Lille defender Gabriel Magalhaes will join.

Arsenal have been strongly linked with the 22-year-old and the Press Association reported the Brazil centre-back underwent a medical this week.

Former Arsenal captain Arteta, who replaced Unai Emery at Emirates Stadium in December, said: "We can't announce anything yet, the deal is not finalised.

"He is a player we have followed for a long time and hopefully we can get it done. Sometimes in the final stages it is not as easy as it looks, but again we are pretty positive we can do it."

Arsenal finished eighth last term but qualified for the Europa League along with Leicester and Tottenham by virtue of their FA Cup final win against Chelsea, when Aubameyang scored twice.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53936907

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Community Shield: Will 'buoyant' Arsenal continue resurgence against Liverpool?

Arsenal's domestic season ended on the first day of August with the FA Cup final victory against Chelsea - and kicks back into action at the end of the same month as they meet Premier League champions Liverpool in the Community Shield at Wembley on Saturday.

This remarkably swift turnaround, enforced after the three-month hiatus during last season as a result of the global coronavirus pandemic, represents a unique challenge to pre-season preparations for Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta and his Liverpool counterpart Jurgen Klopp.

It does, however, allow Arsenal and Liverpool to enjoy the lingering afterglow of two sparkling successes as they claimed the major domestic prizes in the FA Cup and Premier League.

Wembley, as with the FA Cup final, will be without fans but the Community Shield still offers the opportunity to put down an early marker for the start of the Premier League season, which starts on Saturday, 12 September.

Two different types of triumphs for Arsenal and Liverpool led to this traditional curtain-raiser, although it remains to be seen how strong each side will be on Saturday, given the curtailed run-up to the new campaign.

Liverpool's Premier League success, their first title for 30 years, was the result of moving brilliantly through the gears over several seasons under Klopp.

The Champions League triumph against Tottenham in 2019, having lost to Real Madrid in the 2018 final, was the catalyst for an unquenchable thirst to end that title wait after missing out on the 2018-19 Premier League to Manchester City by one point, losing just one game to the eventual champions.

Liverpool's Premier League title was a procession from the turn of the year onwards, won with seven games left and with a final margin of 18 points, despite the inevitable levelling off after the victory was confirmed.

Arsenal's success was built in a different manner, the record 14th FA Cup triumph against Chelsea on 1 August coming after a season of turbulence with Arteta thrust into his first managerial job at this footballing superpower following the December sacking of Unai Emery.

It was fuelled by the brilliance of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, who scored twice in the semi-final win over Manchester City and repeated the feat in the final.

The mood around Arsenal, in the football context, is increasingly buoyant. However, they were criticised over the decision to make 55 staff redundant while handing a huge pay packet to lure 32-year-midfielder Willian from Chelsea, as well as offering a reported £250,000 per week to tempt Aubameyang into signing a new deal.

Arteta was already starting to stamp his authority on Arsenal before the end of last season with the ruthless marginalisation of Mesut Ozil and Matteo Guendouzi.

The FA Cup win was reward for the Spaniard's early impact and this meeting with the champions, who they beat 2-1 at Emirates Stadium towards the end of the season, is the ideal chance to maintain momentum.

Arteta has seen upheaval behind the scenes, with head of football Raul Sanllehi leaving as part of a new streamlined operation. Managing director Vinai Venkatesham will take a greater leadership role and Arteta will have a greater power base, as will technical director Edu.

Head of recruitment Francis Cagigao has also left, along with UK head of recruitment Pete Clark and key scout Brian McDermott.

On the field, a new Arsenal is taking shape. Willian will add experience, class and creativity while the 22-year-old central defender Gabriel Magalhaes, expected to arrive from Lille, has been one of Europe's most sought-after young players.

He will be joined by the highly rated William Saliba, the 19-year-old defender who is now at Arsenal after being loaned back to St Etienne as part of a £27m deal in 2019.

It all gives the air of a new era at Arsenal under Arteta, although the signature of the talisman and established superstar Aubameyang on his new contract will almost be seen as the official seal of approval. This would still represent the Gunners' most significant piece of business this summer, if and when it can be concluded.

Arsenal finished last season with a flourish to beat Chelsea at Wembley, although an eighth-placed finish in the league hints at the work Arteta still needs to do. The Community Shield gives them the chance to deliver another sign of progress.

Liverpool, meanwhile, have been serene and relatively quiet in preparation as they look to repeat the relentless brilliance that overpowered all rivals and even left Manchester City trailing helplessly in their wake.

Manager Klopp has been quiet in the transfer market this summer but Liverpool remain the team to beat, the complete package with no obvious weaknesses.

Kostas Tsimikas has arrived from Olympiakos in an £11m deal as back-up for left-back Andrew Robertson and while Liverpool still privately distance themselves from Bayern Munich's Champions League winner Thiago Alcantara as an active transfer target, the notion of Klopp adding the influential 29-year-old to his midfield must not be dismissed.

The outstanding form of Naby Keita towards the end of last season will also shape his thinking while emerging talents such as Neco Williams, Curtis Jones, Harvey Elliott and striker Rhian Brewster, back after a successful loan spell at Swansea City, will only develop and add to Klopp's resources. Harry Wilson also created a good impression on loan at Bournemouth.

All this and the stellar front three of Sadio Mane, Mohamed Salah and Roberto Firmino, along with the imperious defender Virgil van Dijk and world-class goalkeeper Alisson, signals that Liverpool's rivals have serious work to do in the transfer window to get in shape to take the title away from them.

The Community Shield will be different on many levels this season - but it is always a good time for contenders to make a statement about what sort of shape they are in as the new Premier League campaign comes around so quickly.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53905499

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    A good start for Arsenal could set the scene for the rest of the season - lets see

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like Arteta is continuing his back 3 formation from the end of last season, with AMN at LWB, even though reports are saying he'd ideally like to shift to a 4-3-3. With no Ceballos nor Partey, that's probably not possible right now.

Would have liked to see Saliba start so we could get a proper look at him against good opposition.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

Good start for Arsenal

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Arsenal 1-0 Liverpool

Good start for Arsenal
    HT Arsenal 1-0- Liverpool

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    FT : Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool

Penalties!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    GOAL - Arsenal 5-4 Liverpool
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang

Arsenal win their 16th Charity/Community Shield thanks to a perfect penalty shootout, five goals from five kicks.

For the second year in a row Liverpool lose the Community Shield on penalties to Mikel Arteta (he was Manchester City assistant last year).

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On his 23rd birthday, AMN gets Man of the Match vs Liverpool, and now this...

-----------------------------------------------------

England: Conor Coady & Ainsley Maitland-Niles called up by Gareth Southgate

Wolves captain Conor Coady and Arsenal full-back Ainsley Maitland-Niles have been added to Gareth Southgate's England squad for the Nations League games against Iceland and Denmark.

Wolves centre-back Coady, 27, has played every Premier League game for his side for the past two seasons.

Maitland-Niles was man of the match on Sunday and scored in the shootout as Arsenal beat Liverpool to win the Community Shield on his 23rd birthday.

It is a first call-up for both players.

Both have represented England at youth level - Coady captaining his side to the 2010 European Under-17 Championship and Maitland-Niles winning the 2017 Under-20 World Cup.

England's players will meet up at St George's Park on Monday.

Southgate's side face their Euro 2016 conquerors Iceland in Reykjavik on 5 September before playing Denmark in Copenhagen three days later.

The disruption caused to the football calendar by coronavirus, including Euro 2020 being delayed by a year until 2021, means England have not played since November 2019, when a 4-0 win in Kosovo concluded their Euro 2020 qualification campaign.

Coady is a direct replacement for Harry Maguire, who was withdrawn from the squad by manager Southgate on Tuesday after being given a suspended prison sentence on the Greek island of Syros.

The Manchester United captain, who was found guilty of aggravated assault, resisting arrest and repeated attempts of bribery, has since appealed against the decision, meaning the conviction has been nullified in accordance with Greek law.

He told the BBC he feared for his life and thought he was being kidnapped during the incident on Mykonos.

Southgate said withdrawing Maguire was "in the best interests of all parties".

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53962211

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mikel Arteta remains positive over Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's future after his leading contribution in Arsenal's Community Shield shootout win over Liverpool.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Arsenal: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been 'convinced to stay'

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta thinks Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang has been "convinced to stay here for longer" after his starring role in the Community Shield win over Liverpool.

Captain Aubameyang, whose contract expires next summer, curled in a fantastic opener - before Takumi Minamino's equaliser - and then scored the winning penalty in the shootout at Wembley.

"My job is to try to convince him he's at the right place at the right time," Arteta told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"I think we got that and then we have to make the paperwork and that takes a bit of time."

Arsenal have been trying to tie Aubameyang down to a new contract for some time.

The 31-year-old Gabon striker has scored 70 goals in 109 games since joining for a club-record £56m in January 2018.

He was made captain in November after Granit Xhaka was stripped of the armband.

Aubameyang's excellent 20-yard strike on Saturday made him only the second Gunners player to score five Wembley goals, after Alexis Sanchez, with all of them coming since July.

He netted twice in the 2-0 win over Manchester City in the FA Cup semi-final before scoring twice in the 2-1 win against Chelsea in the final.

Asked about his future after the Community Shield, Aubameyang said: "We're going to see in these days. Today we take the trophy - that's it.

"We are improving. There is still work to do but I'm really happy and it's an exciting time to be an Arsenal player."

Aubameyang won the Bundesliga golden boot in 2017 and the Premier League version in 2019, although his only major trophies are the German Cup, FA Cup and French League Cup with Saint-Etienne.

Klopp wants five substitutes rule kept

Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp hopes Premier League clubs change their minds and vote to keep five substitutions this season.

The rule was brought in across the world to help teams finish their 2019-20 or 2020 seasons amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Leagues were allowed to keep that for 2020-21 but Premier League clubs voted this month to go back to the regular three substitutions rule.

There is reportedly going to be another vote this week, although critics say it would benefit bigger teams with more money to build bigger, stronger squads.

"I don't want to have an advantage in the competition or whatever but we have 38 Premier League games and that means just that these things would help," said Klopp.

"I can imagine that other teams will see it differently. It's all about how we can get through this season, not who can get a little advantage here and there. For the sake of the football players and the performance levels, I think it would make sense."

Liverpool started training two weeks ago, while Arsenal - who won the FA Cup on 1 August - have been back for one week.

Arteta said some of the players in the starting XI had one only training session. "I keep demanding them, I keep pushing them and they keep responding," he said. "They're willing to do more.

"We knew the challenge we had today against us in probably the best team in Europe. But you can see how the guys compete, how they believe."

Klopp said: "In the decisive areas I want us to be more convincing, more creative, but we had two weeks of training after a short break, after a long season.

"We are preparing for the full season, not for this game today. If we'd played a friendly today I'd have said we were in a perfect position."

Each European country plays two Nations League games in next week's international break before the Premier League restarts on 12 September.

"Now we send our players to the national teams and we have no idea what they will do there," said Klopp. "Are we happy about it? No. But we're not moaning about anything and there is nothing to criticise.

"We will only have three days to prepare for Leeds. They don't have that many internationals so they train for two weeks. We need to make sure we are ready."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53962220

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MMHS you wax lyrical about Klopp. But look at Arteta he has not had the chance to spend big money on GK and CB and is beating top teams. He is beating them with players like Elneny,Mustafi,Holding,Kolasinac, and a lot of academy kids!!!

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    @MMHS you wax lyrical about Klopp. But look at Arteta he has not had the chance to spend big money on GK and CB and is beating top teams. He is beating them with players like Elneny,Mustafi,Holding,Kolasinac, and a lot of academy kids!!!
    He has done brilliantly indeed. But, Community Shield is just a sort of re-season practice game, hardly gives the full picture. Arsenal will do great to make top four in coming season.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    He has done brilliantly indeed. But, Community Shield is just a sort of re-season practice game, hardly gives the full picture. Arsenal will do great to make top four in coming season.
    To be honest I wasn’t really referring to this game. I was referring to the matches where he won the big teams last year. If that was Klopp you would waxed lyrical as I said.

Need more creativity to have any chance of the top 4.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan has left Arsenal after his contract was terminated by mutual consent.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Henrikh Mkhitaryan has signed a permanent deal with Roma after terminating his contract with Arsenal by mutual consent.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Arsenal are in advanced talks with Real Madrid over a deal to sign midfielder Dani Ceballos on another season long loan.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Gabriel Magalhaes: Arsenal sign Brazilian defender from Lille

Arsenal have completed the signing of Brazilian defender Gabriel Magalhaes from Lille for 26m euros (£23.14m).

The 22-year-old, a left-footed centre back, made 34 appearances in all competitions for Lille last season as they finished fourth in Ligue 1.

He joins the Gunners on a long-term contract.

"He is a player we have been studying for a while and he was in demand from many clubs," said Arsenal technical director Edu.

"Gabriel is a player of high quality and Mikel (Arteta) and his coaches are looking forward to integrating him into the club."

Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta said: "We welcome Gabriel to Arsenal. He has many qualities which will make us stronger as a defensive unit and as a team.

"He has proved with Lille he is a defender with many outstanding attributes and we are looking forward to watching him grow as an Arsenal player."

Gabriel said he considered offers from a number of clubs before deciding to join Arsenal.

"It was a very surreal experience, there were offers coming from a few different clubs," he said.

"I spoke a lot with my family and my agents, I also spoke with some of Lille's directors but, as I said, this club's history and traditions and the team project for the next few years were very motivational for my decision to come here.

"So here I am, wearing the Arsenal shirt - I will give my best for it."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53990363

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal and Everton have made some serious signings.

Arsenal for top 4 and Everton for top 7

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Fans hope to attend Arsenal v Sheff Utd

Fans may be allowed to attend Arsenal's home Premier League football fixture against Sheffield United on 3 October.

The Gunners hope they will be able to have supporters inside Emirates Stadium on a reduced capacity basis in line with UK government guidelines.

Initially, only gold season ticket holders and premium members will have priority access to tickets.

Football has been played behind closed doors since its return in June after the coronavirus shutdown.

Arsenal play West Ham United on 20 September in their first home game of the new season - but it will be played without fans.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Spanish midfielder Dani Ceballos has rejoined Arsenal for a second successive season-long loan from Real Madrid.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    FA Cup glory came ahead of schedule for Mikel Arteta but he may need to be patient to complete his planned transformation

Guardian writers’ predicted position: 5th (NB: this is not necessarily Nick Ames’s prediction but the average of our writers’ tips)

Last season’s position: 8th

Make it two that got away. The manner in which Serge Gnabry escaped Arsenal’s clutches is well known. Gnabry had verbally agreed a new contract before travelling to the 2016 Olympics with Germany, but instead signed for Werder Bremen and the rest is painful modern history. But it is less well documented that Kingsley Coman could have been an Arsenal player, too. Coman was leaving Paris Saint-Germain when he and his agent visited Arsenal’s training ground in 2014, with the club willing to pay a compensation fee in the low hundred-thousands and a seven-figure salary. But the transfer did not get over the line; instead Coman and Gnabry were fundamental to the outcome of this year’s Champions League and one figure close to both missed deals is only half-joking when he says he has to switch channels within five minutes when Bayern Munich pop up on his television.

The point of the story? It is that, for all the recriminations of the last half-decade, a couple of relatively minor deviations might have seen Arsenal’s recent past look decidedly different. They need these things to start going their way and that is why the vision and clarity shown during Arteta’s first eight months are tantalising. If he is for real, as seems increasingly certain, the possibilities begin to appear limitless.

Arteta could thank Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang for Arsenal’s FA Cup win, given the captain’s doubles against Manchester City and Chelsea, but could also reflect on tactics that had deservedly outdone superior sides. The troubled squad he inherited has been treated with varying levels of light and shade. Matteo Guendouzi and Mesut Özil were left in no doubt about what happens to anyone Arteta feels has not nailed their colours to the cause, but he has seemingly persuaded a previously sceptical Aubameyang to see out his top-level playing career at the club. Granit Xhaka was also convinced to reverse from the exit door while Willian, who should be an excellent addition even if a three-year contract makes the eyes water, has admitted to being enamoured of Arteta’s plans.

It appears Arteta has an uncanny ability to bring others with him. While Aubameyang’s chip at Wembley ensured Arteta’s Arsenal won a major trophy ahead of schedule, the coming season will show whether the vessel is a hydrofoil or a paddle steamer. Arteta has no interest in seeing Arsenal become accustomed to playing like underdogs, as they did so successfully in those big wins – Liverpool were another scalp – at the end of 2019-20. He wants to see them dominate the ball and be aggressive with it; to pass and probe as forcefully as, in the weeks after the Covid-19 shutdown, his forwards pressed defenders when out of possession.

That will take time and Arteta is likely to find one transfer window is not enough. He has, in theory at least, the hands-on role in recruitment that he wanted, with Raul Sanllehi taken out of the picture. Willian’s versatility and fluid movements will help an attack that, with Özil requiring a truly Lazarus-like comeback to regain favour, otherwise sorely lacks guile. Gabriel Magalhães looks sure to arrive from Lille and, with William Saliba now available, Arsenal have the kind of young, dominant, athletic centre-back options an often chaotic backline has sorely lacked. But players will have to depart if a troubled midfield is to be supplemented with top-level talent. It is hard to see their longstanding pursuit of Atlético Madrid’s Thomas Partey bearing fruit, for example, unless at least one of Guendouzi and Lucas Torreira departs. The summer has been expensive and Arsenal, who recently made 55 redundancies in non-football areas, have to start bringing money back in.

So Arteta may find more compromises have to be made: a few more grinding wins over the Champions League qualifiers or afternoons where, if the ball will not do the work, the most important thing is to keep the back door bolted. He has shown he can get results; now he must keep them coming while turning Arsenal into a living iteration of his blueprint.

The manager
    On the touchline: Arteta usually plumps for brooding all-black getup, effortlessly straddling the gap between “slung together” and “painstakingly thought-through”. He covers plenty of ground and rattles through his body of foreign languages: English, Spanish, French and Portuguese feature in his exhortations.

On Zoom: Punctual, personable and sometimes perfunctory. Arteta tends to give off the air of a man fulfilling a commitment but understands the power of the medium too. His views on Guendouzi, Özil and even the club’s ambition were aired eloquently and – sometimes – bluntly.

The key
    Anyone citing the importance of Aubameyang would be excused for feeling like a stuck record but, assuming his deal goes through as expected, he will be fundamental to anything Arsenal and Arteta achieve. If you are moulding a new, young defence and a more balanced midfield it helps to have the division’s best striker.

The owners
    Stan Kroenke and his firm, Kroenke Sports and Entertainment, have been at the helm since 2011. Recent seasons have seen a rise in “Get out of our club” chants, with a decidedly un-touchy-feely approach to ownership doing the Kroenkes few favours. The hope is this season begins to reverse the decline they have overseen.

Young blood
    Arteta has spoken glowingly about Reiss Nelson, saying he has “the potential to do whatever he wants”. It is time for the 20-year-old to deliver: he has bundles of talent and showed it in patches last season, scoring against Liverpool and shining in the cup against Leeds and Portsmouth. But can he impose himself consistently?

New blood
    The arrivals of Willian and – hopefully – Gabriel have been well trailed. A less high-profile newcomer, Andreas Georgson, formerly Brentford’s head of set pieces and individual development, has been enlisted to keep Arsenal sharp and smart from free-kicks and corners.

Kit story
    It is a story as old as the hills – or at least dating to the club’s foundation in 1886, when Nottingham Forest donated a set of dark red shirts and white shorts after a plea from two former players who had wound up with the Gunners. Herbert Chapman thought of the sleeves, and the lighter shade of red, years later.

Notes from an empty stadium
    The jokes about an empty Emirates differing little from the full-fat experience were worn out quickly. There have not been many innovations to separate Arsenal’s home from the rest, save for the usual tailored seat coverings and pre-match music playlists.

Euros vision
    A major tournament in 2020 would probably have come too soon for Bukayo Saka. Next summer, though, is another scenario entirely and if he continues to grow in stature it is hard to see him not getting an England call.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...w-no-1-arsenal

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang will ‘imminently’ sign a new three-year contract with Arsenal.

The Gunners captain, who has less than a year left on his contract, scored twice in the final as Mikel Arteta’s side won a record 14th FA Cup last season.

Aubameyang scored 29 goals last season and will hope to fire the Gunners to further success this term

The Athletic claim Aubameyang will be able to become the club’s highest earner on his new deal, surpassing Mesut Ozil’s reported £350,000-a-week wages.

The report adds Arteta has been integral in talks to keep the 31-year-old striker in north London.

Former Arsenal head of football Raul Sanllehi is believed to have negotiated most of the deal before his departure from north London, while technical director Edu and director of operations Huss Fahmy took care of the finishing touches.

Aubameyang had been linked with a summer move to Barcelona, but seems set to stay at the Emirates now.

He has scored 71 goals in 110 appearances since joining Arsenal for £56million from Borussia Dortmund in January 2018.

Despite contract talks dragging on for months, Arteta has always had faith that Aubameyang would commit his future to Arsenal.

After their Community Shield win over Liverpool, which saw Aubameyang score the opening goal, the Gunners boss insisted he was ‘very positive’ about a new deal being signed.

He said: “We are going to see… today we will just take the trophy and that is it.

“I keep saying the same thing. I try to do my job, which is convince him that he is in the right place, that he has the environment here to produce the moments like he’s done today and he’s done here three weeks ago.

“I am very positive that he’s going to sign but a lot of time there’s a lot of things involved in a contract deal and we are trying to show him.”

https://talksport.com/football/75733...ct-mesut-ozil/

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Mikel Arteta's job title at Arsenal has been changed from head coach to first-team manager as part of a restructuring that reflects his growing standing at the club.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Arsenal chief executive Vinai Venkatesham says he has had sleepless nights over recent staff redundancies.

The club were criticised for buying players shortly after announcing 55 redundancies - mainly affecting the commercial and administrative departments - on 5 August.

Senior staff, including manager Mikel Arteta and his players, took pay cuts.

"I would be lying if I said there had not been sleepless nights," Venkatesham said.

Nine days after announcing the redundancies, Arsenal signed Willian on a three-year deal from Chelsea, before paying Lille £23.14m for Brazilian defender Gabriel Magalhaes at the beginning of September.

But Venkatesham indicated that top-level clubs are facing financial uncertainty even as they invest in players.

The European Clubs' Association - which represents professional clubs across Uefa's jurisdiction - has estimated this week that the overall losses being borne by their members will be around £3.7bn.

And Premier League chief executive Richard Masters has said in recent days that English top-flight clubs faced losing £700m if fans were not allowed into stadiums during the 2020-21 campaign.

"This has been a really tough week," said Venkatesham. "It is a week where lots of people have been finding out about how it all lands."

Arsenal's chief executive said the decision to make people redundant had not been taken easily - and defended the recruitment of players that followed, arguing that it was necessary to keep investing in the team.

He added that he was worried how the club would be affected by Prime Minister Boris Johnson's announcement on Wednesday that plans to allow spectators to attend sporting events in England from 1 October are to be reviewed following an increase in coronavirus transmission rates.

"This is not a big organisation," he said. "We've got hundreds of employees all based within 30 miles of each other. I know the people, I know their families. To make that decision was really tough but we needed to restructure our organisation.

"We hope the government announcement won't change the aim to get fans back in the stadium on 1 October, but it's possible that it will. Then there is the Premier League TV deal in China being terminated.

"Does anyone really think this thing is going away in two, three or six months? It is not. All of our revenue streams; broadcast, matchday and commercial will be impacted for a long time.

"At the same time, we need to make sure we are looking after the long-term health of this football club and, like any organisation, that means you need to invest.

"I understand the position of redundancies and then investing. But that's because in other industries, the investment is made in machines. If you work for an airline, you need to buy new planes. Here, we need to invest in the team."

It is anticipated the Premier League will lobby the government to be allowed to let fans back into grounds.

Plans for Tottenham, Manchester United and others to trial a percentage of spectators at league games this month have already been shelved.

"The virus is evolving in a way that is completely unpredictable but I would hope within grounds across the pyramid we can find a solution that would get fans back into stadiums in a safe way," Venkastesham said.

"We could know the names and addresses of everyone in the stadium, they can self-certify, arrive earlier and leave later and we can check temperatures and social distance them for what is, predominantly, an outdoor rather than indoor environment."

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta
    Mikel Arteta replaced Unai Emery as head coach of Arsenal in December 2019
    New title for Arteta
    Arsenal head into the new season with the stated aim of qualification for the Champions League.

This will be the fourth successive campaign they have played in the Europa League, which they only qualified for by beating Chelsea in the FA Cup final on 1 August.

But Arsenal have been impressed by Arteta, who replaced the sacked Unai Emery last December, and have upgraded his job title from head coach to manager. That has been done to reflect the wider scope of his responsibilities, though they do not extend quite as far as Arsene Wenger's did before his exit in 2018.

"This is recognition of what he has been doing from the day he walked in the door and also the capabilities we believe Mikel has," said Venkatesham.

"He has walked into probably the toughest nine-month period this football club has had in its 134-year history. He's on a long term contract and we're really comfortable with what he's doing.

"We belong in the Champions League. Yes we've been in European football for the past 25 years, which is a great record. But the past three years and this one, we are in a competition we don't want to be in.

"We want to get back in the mix competing for the Premier League - and doing it the way Arsenal have always done, playing the entertaining, engaging football our fans want to see."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54107122

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal fans can relax over Aubameyang contract, says Mikel Arteta

Arsenal fans can "relax" about Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's contract situation and the club's summer transfer business is not over, says manager Mikel Arteta.

Arteta is "very optimistic" the club captain will sign his new deal soon.

Aubameyang's contract runs out next summer, leading to speculation he could leave, but Arteta said last month he had been convinced to stay.

"He is really happy here," said Arteta, speaking before Saturday's Premier League opener against Fulham.

"He wants to keep improving and contributing to the team. I think they [the fans] can be pretty relaxed."

This summer Arsenal have signed Brazilian defender Gabriel Magalhaes for 26m euros (£23.14m) from Lille, brought in former Chelsea forward Willian on a free transfer and re-signed Dani Ceballos on loan from Real Madrid.

They continue to be linked with Atletico Madrid midfielder Thomas Partey and Lyon midfielder Houssem Aouar.

"We are still active in the market, we are looking at different options," Arteta said.

"At the moment the squad balance is not ideal.

"There is still some work to do. Numbers-wise, some positions are overbooked. Some others, in terms of the specific qualities we need, are still not there."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54118453

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    And it begins...

Arsenal start their 2020/21 season vs Fulham:

Easy win expected?

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On their day Arsenal can beat anyone - their first XI is very good however they lack the squad depth of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and United so cannot see Arsenal breaking back into the top 4 this season.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    HALF-TIME
    Fulham 0-1 Arsenal

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    TBH I expected more goals from Arsenal.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Debutants Gabriel and Willian impress as slick Arsenal win at Fulham

Debutants Gabriel and Willian impressed as Arsenal blew away promoted Fulham in the opening game of the Premier League season.

Former Chelsea winger Willian had a hand in all three goals and Gabriel - a £23m signing from Lille - scored in his first game in English football.

Arsenal were highly impressive, while Fulham caused themselves too many problems at the back.

Both sides have played and won at Wembley - twice for the Gunners - in the 48 days since the last Premier League season finished.

Alexandre Lacazette scored the opener from close range after Willian's effort was saved.

Centre-back Gabriel then scored from Willian's corner with his shoulder. Willian, who also hit a post from a free-kick, picked out Pierre-Emerick Aubamayeng with a perfect cross-field ball and the captain curled home Arsenal's third.

Fulham created few chances, with last season's top scorer Aleksandar Mitrovic coming on with only 27 minutes to go and forcing Bernd Leno into a save.

Read more:

Slick Arsenal catch the eye

There were signs of improvement under boss Mikel Arteta last season, with Arsenal showing a new defensive solidity and looking confident going forward.

They won the FA Cup final and Community Shield - against Chelsea and Liverpool respectively - at either end of August.

Despite a pre-season break of less than a month, they are in good shape if this performance is anything to go back.

Arsenal substitutes Dani Ceballos and Eddie Nketiah clashed twice in the pre-match warm-up over a training drill, but there was total harmony among the 11 players who started.

Fulham had little answer to Arteta's tactics. Ainsley Maitland-Niles was nominally a left wing-back but spent a lot of his game in midfield, with central defender Kieran Tierney playing almost as a left-back.

Mohamed Elneny and Granit Xhaka, whose Arsenal careers looked over last season, had solid performances in midfield.

Leno started in goal, with Emiliano Martinez, who ended last season as number one with Leno injured, reportedly set for a move away.

For the fourth season in a row it took less than 10 minutes for the opening goal of a Premier League season, with Lacazette becoming the first player to score the first goal in two different seasons. He made no mistake from close range after Marek Rodak parried Willian's shot.

The dominant Gunners should have been further clear at half-time, with Willian striking the base of a post with a fine free-kick.

The second half followed the same pattern and Arsenal made the game safe.

Gabriel became the third Arsenal defender to score on his Premier League debut as he turned home Willian's corner. He tried to head the ball but it went in via his shoulder. The new laws this season say if the ball hits the area where a T-shirt sleeve would be, that it is not handball.

Aubameyang scored the pick of the goals with a trademark curling effort from another Willian pass.

Willian is the first player to assist two goals on his Premier League debut for Arsenal since Ray Parlour in August 1992 against Liverpool.

Arsenal could have scored more if they needed, but this will be exactly what Arteta, whose job title changed from head coach to manager this week, wanted to see.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54038550

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    152 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hearing Martinez to Villa is done deal...

I thought Martinez was brilliant and actually could play out from the back whereas Leno doesn’t fill me with the same confidence

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic opening day performance by Arsenal, couldn't have asked for much more tbh. Of course, we mustn't forget it is just Fulham, but still plenty of things to be excited and encouraged by.

Willian did far better than I expected, a great performance today, 3 assists, and hopefully this competition for places ignites something more in Pepe, Saka, Nketiah etc.

Gabriel was just wonderful today. Had that one misjudgement very early in the game, but it was 2 minutes into his first competitive game since March. After that, he was absolutely faultless. Commanding aerial presence, unbeatable in a 1-on-1 and a debut goal to double our lead. A MOTM award on his debut to top it off. His passing in particular was fantastic, that left-foot passing angle and accuracy was so lacking from our defence. Couldn't have asked for more. Hopefully more of the same for many years.

And what's left to say on Aubameyang. Simply outstanding player. Can't think of a better striker in the league at the moment. Most PL goals since his debut over 2 and a half years ago, and that in one of the worst chance creating teams in the league. Seems to be getting better with age.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Mikel Arteta: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's contract signed 'very soon', and Alexandre Lacazette 'happy' at Arsenal

Mikel Arteta insists Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang's Arsenal contract renewal will be signed "very soon", while Alexandre Lacazette says he is happy at the club.

Both Aubameyang and Lacazette scored as Arsenal brushed newly-promoted Fulham aside 3-0 in the opening game of the Premier League season at Craven Cottage on Saturday, and there were more promising signs for the Gunners after the game.

Regarding Aubameyang, who has entered the final two years of his contract, Arsenal boss Arteta said he is confident the club will make an announcement in the coming days.

"I'm really positive we are going to get it done very soon and hopefully in the next few days you will get some news," Arteta told BT Sport.

Meanwhile, Lacazette has been widely linked with a move away from the Emirates, with Juventus rumoured to be interested, but fresh from starting and then scoring on the opening day, the Frenchman told BT Sport: "I'm really happy. It's only the press who say l am unhappy and l want to leave.

"But me, from the beginning, I have said I am happy with Arsenal and I want to play and win titles. We won a title last month, so I am happy with Arsenal."

Defender Rob Holding has also been linked with a loan move to Newcastle but Arteta added: "I said to him 'change your mind because you're not going anywhere'

"Rob is another who stands for every value we have at the football club. He had a really difficult time but why do I have to let him go? He is already playing, so what does he want?

"I wanted to see my team determined to come to this difficult ground against a really good team that has been promoted. We had a lot of energy and did the things we trained on in this period."

https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ppy-at-arsenal

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent start to the season.

I think we will challenge for the top 4. But for us to get into the top 4 , we have so strengthen the midfield. Aouar and Partey would be excellent signings. Elneny and Torreira are not good enough. Wilock is not ready and Guendouzi seems to be on his way out.

We have to strengthen our midfield.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Arteta is the next great manager in football. He is the new Pep.

Arsenal are so, so lucky to have him. He can easily coach Barcelona.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Barcelona will appoint Xavi after Koeman. City will go for Poch or Vieira probably.

Arteta truly loves Arsenal. I think he will be with us for a long while.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1004 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arsenal have found a gem.

Arteta will lead them well.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Wow! One good game into the season and already our fans have their heads into the clouds.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Premature. It was Fulham not Real Madrid.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Wow! One good game into the season and already our fans have their heads into the clouds.
    Quote Originally Posted by in_cutter View Post
    Premature. It was Fulham not Real Madrid.
    It is not about Fulham or one game.

Arteta has all the qualities of an exceptionally good manager. He is in the same league as Pep and Klopp.