“This is a learning process for me, I have a lot to learn from this England tour” : Abid Ali

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

“This is a learning process for me, I have a lot to learn from this England tour” : Abid Ali

Abid Ali at a press conference:

“I am a professional player so I always try hard to do my best according to the team requirement. We were focused on building partnerships. James Anderson is a world class bowler.

“It was difficult to face the short-bowling, they had planned for it. But I had also practiced for that. So it wasn’t so difficult for me and I tried to do my best for my team.

“This is my first tour of England so I tried to do my best. I can only try and the rest is in Allah’s hands. I tried to see off the new ball and obviously England has one of the best bowling attacks.

“The day went well for us according to our plan. With Azhar Ali and Babar Azam at the crease, we are hopeful of playing good cricket and also saving the match.

“I wasn’t able to play a good innings but I always try to perform at my best level. I got to learn a lot by being alongside Misbah bhai and Younis bhai and going forward, I hope to improve more so that I can keep improving my batting to perform well also outside Pakistan.

“I was playing with a positive mind. Not with the runs but I ensured I had a positive frame of mind while batting and concentrated.

“This was my last innings and I am thankful to Allah for everything. I played for my team and kept the team in front.

“The time has gone by nicely. Our performances very were good but we made small mistakes. We will learn from them. We made a good comeback, even in this match where Azhar Ali played an outstanding innings and Mohammad Rizwan also. This is also a learning process for me so I will try to keep getting better. I have to learn a lot from this England tour.

“Honestly, we really enjoyed this tour. OK, this is an unusual situation but we were just talking about it today that the tour went by so quickly and now it’s nearing its end. It’s part of life now and we have to accept it. We need to be thankful to PCB that cricket is happening. There were no problems and we tried our best during the series. The rest is in Allah’s hands.”

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be able to come back stronger in his 2nd/3rd tour to England. Even Virat Kohli struggled in his first tour.

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Venue
    Birmingham
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He had a okish tour . A 60 and a solid 40 odd today . He didn’t disgrace himself and in parts held his own.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He played well. Surprised me actually - I expected him to be a sitting duck.
    Him and Shan are turning out to be a decent opening partnership. They may not be the most attractive players but they certainly have alot of resilience about them as openers should have.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His performance in this series was mediocre but i think hes out of the danger zone considering how his mates have performed around him. He showed grit today. Looked decent, and was very unlucky to be given out.

He deserves a long run in the team, specially considering we really have no decent replacements available.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Should be able to come back stronger in his 2nd/3rd tour to England. Even Virat Kohli struggled in his first tour.
    He turns 33 in 2 months.

Not too sure about a 2nd tour, let alone 3rd. Opening batsmen especially rarely play till their last 30s.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he will find it tough away from pakistan, but expect him to notch up some big scores in pak so think hes done enough to keep his spot.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did better than expected.

He will be very handy in Asia as he loves to play his shots and will get Pakistan quick runs versus the new ball. Will have to adjust his game outside Asia and he showed today that he can do that.

Sir Imam, favorites of selectors, will have to wait a bit longer.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a decent enough tour, nothing ground-breaking or convincing, but would definitely notch very useful big runs in Asia. Outside of Asia, don't think he's a solution.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Decent tour

He’s been putting the same runs in domestic cricket for the past 6-7 years so it’s beyond my why he was called up so late in his career.

It really is baffling to see how our selectors operate. This is definitely something to build on but the problem is hes 32.

And it’s not like we had legends opening the batting for us in this time period that Abid Ali couldn’t be given a chance.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2263 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He showed some guts today, but he has his limitations as an opener.

His technique is suited to Asian conditions and he will struggle anywhere else - this is not his fault, rather he is a product of the Pakistani domestic system and exactly why pitches in Pakistan need to change.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    702 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Decent tour

He’s been putting the same runs in domestic cricket for the past 6-7 years so it’s beyond my why he was called up so late in his career.

It really is baffling to see how our selectors operate. This is definitely something to build on but the problem is hes 32.

And it’s not like we had legends opening the batting for us in this time period that Abid Ali couldn’t be given a chance.
    32 is his official age, he played U19 cricket is likely to be a little older. I agree with your general point

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Decent tour

He'll be 33 (official age) in six week. ABD and Cook both retired at 33.

The leash on Abid has got to be really tight - PCT just can't put time into a guy who is at that stage of his career. Even if Imam isn't quite as productive as Abid, at 24 he has a lot of time to improve and grow

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abid Ali has outscored the English openers on their home track, that too whilst facing Anderson, Broad, Archer and Woakes in good seaming conditions.

Well done Abid, you’ve done a decent job

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not a Gavaskar by any means, but best available opener in Pakistan ATM, should serve well for 2-3 years

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We need to start investing on Imam Ul Haq instead of this guy.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shazzam View Post
    We need to start investing on Imam Ul Haq instead of this guy.
    Agreed or someone like omair bin yousuf imran butt

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Abid Ali has outscored the English openers on their home track, that too whilst facing Anderson, Broad, Archer and Woakes in good seaming conditions.

Well done Abid, you’ve done a decent job
    He did okay but I fimk we need to invest in imaam,imran butt and omair bin yousuf

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Both him and Masood need to be replaced by Sami Aslam and Imam.

He is too old to be considered a long-term investment and Masood is not good enough.

Younis should be given a chance to work with Sami and Imam who both have higher ceilings than Masood.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Pakistan fan logic: Replace an opener averaging 57 after his first tricky tour, with Imam who averages 25 from 11 Tests (inc. 4 Tests in UAE) and Sami who averaged 23 in his last series in UAE.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Agree with those saying that Imam ul-Haq should replace him. Abid was horrible on this tour do not let the edgy 60-odd runs he scored fool you. I think that is the only fifty I have seen my whole life watching cricket where the batsman did not crisply strike one boundary.

Pakistan needs to develop young openers who can score hundreds overseas.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Pakistan fan logic: Replace an opener averaging 57 after his first tricky tour, with Imam who averages 25 from 11 Tests (inc. 4 Tests in UAE) and Sami who averaged 23 in his last series in UAE.
    Imran Butt and Zeeshan Malik should be tried instead of Abid.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I get your point but this guy is too old. He's 33, but let's be honest his age is fudged like most. We don't really want another Azhar who's old.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam was exceptional in England in 2016 when he replaced Professor after the Old Trafford Test.

Not since Taufeeq in South Africa in 03 did I see a Pakistani opener so assured outside the off-stump. He left the ball remarkably.

He also did decently against West Indies in the UAE in 2016, but that failure in Australia in 2017 completely disintegrated him mentally.

It has been 3 years now and if he has mentally recovered he can still be a great asset for Pakistan.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1314 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Sami Aslam was exceptional in England in 2016 when he replaced Professor after the Old Trafford Test.

Not since Taufeeq in South Africa in 03 did I see a Pakistani opener so assured outside the off-stump. He left the ball remarkably.

He also did decently against West Indies in the UAE in 2016, but that failure in Australia in 2017 completely disintegrated him mentally.

It has been 3 years now and if he has mentally recovered he can still be a great asset for Pakistan.
    He didn't just fail in Australia (fair enough, even our greats have imploded there) - that Sri Lanka series in UAE in 2017 saw some of the most gutless batting I've ever seen and he was one of the culprits.

If you're not going to show any intent on those dead wickets vs Sri Lanka, then when are you ? I like how Abid at least puts the bad balls away.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    He didn't just fail in Australia (fair enough, even our greats have imploded there) - that Sri Lanka series in UAE in 2017 saw some of the most gutless batting I've ever seen and he was one of the culprits.

If you're not going to show any intent on those dead wickets vs Sri Lanka, then when are you ? I like how Abid at least puts the bad balls away.
    He lost confidence. It happens.

The potential he showed in England in 2016 was not normal, especially for a Pakistani batsman.

IMO, the selectors dropped the ball way too early with him.

If they can give a failure like Shan 22 Tests, surely Sami deserves the same number of chances as well.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He lost confidence. It happens.

The potential he showed in England in 2016 was not normal, especially for a Pakistani batsman.

IMO, the selectors dropped the ball way too early with him.

If they can give a failure like Shan 22 Tests, surely Sami deserves the same number of chances as well.
    Yeah. I'd say Abid deserves to stay , he can hopefully be a good home track bully and at least win us series at home comfortably.

Shan Masood hasn't been that impressive and should be on a tight leash. Sami should definitely be put in the squad. If an opener were to be dropped, Shan is certainly closer to the chop for me.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7794 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Like many others, I wanted Sami dropped after his poor show in 2017. However, after watching how technically poor Masood and Abid have looked on this tour, I watched highlights of Sami at Edgbaston in 2016 and you can easily tell that he is vastly superior.

You give him the same amount of chances that a serial failure like Masood has had since 2013 and he will undoubtedly do better.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Like many others, I wanted Sami dropped after his poor show in 2017. However, after watching how technically poor Masood and Abid have looked on this tour, I watched highlights of Sami at Edgbaston in 2016 and you can easily tell that he is vastly superior.

You give him the same amount of chances that a serial failure like Masood has had since 2013 and he will undoubtedly do better.
    Sami is now in his mid twenties. Therefore, he had no hope of selection as he's not in the mid thirties bracket.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam and Imam ul Haq.

They are both young and gritty batsmen.

They deserve another run!

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam is an extremely limited batsman.
    Cricket is also about balancing run-scoring and defence. And more importantly, it is about entertainment. How many more of such strokeless wonders do we want?

Already we have Azhar, Fawad; both Abid and Shan dont light up the stadiums either.
    We desperately need a batsman who can atleast play like one.
    I would put my money on Abdullah Shafiq and Haider Ali, and try to develop them for the kong haul.
    If you have these two in the middle order, and then you bring thakka openers, then I wont mind.
    Last edited by Pacy with wisdom; 26th August 2020 at 00:01.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacy with wisdom View Post
    Sami Aslam is an extremely limited batsman.
    Cricket is also about balancing run-scoring and defence. And more importantly, it is about entertainment. How many more of such strokeless wonders do we want?

Already we have Azhar, Fawad; both Abid and Shan dont light up the stadiums either.
    We desperately need a batsman who can atleast play like one.
    I would put my money on Abdullah Shafiq and Haider Ali, and try to develop them for the kong haul.
    If you have these two in the middle order, and then you bring thakka openers, then I wont mind.
    Brother in an ideal world we should have something like this:

Imam ul Haq
    Sami Aslam
    Babar Azam (C)
    Haris Sohail
    Haider Ali
    Abdullah Shafique
    Shadab Khan
    Zafar Gohar
    Shaheen Shah
    Naseem Shah
    Any good pacer. (Maybe Hasan Ali/Akif Javed/M Hasnain)

This is a young team which has lots of potential.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    There was one only way for him to go after the high clouds he climbed in the last series
    Not sure if he's more talented than imam Tbf but he definitely gave it his all

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    Sami Aslam and Imam ul Haq.

They are both young and gritty batsmen.

They deserve another run!
    Would you not consider imran butt or omair bin yousuf

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brother in an ideal world we should have something like this:

Imam ul Haq
    Sami Aslam
    Babar Azam (C)
    Haris Sohail
    Haider Ali
    Abdullah Shafique
    Shadab Khan
    Zafar Gohar
    Shaheen Shah
    Naseem Shah
    Any good pacer. (Maybe Hasan Ali/Akif Javed/M Hasnain)

This is a young team which has lots of potential.
    I'd go

Shan masood
    Sami aslam
    Usman salahuddin
    Babar
    Omair bin Yousuf
    Rizwan
    Haider Ali
    Gohar
    Shaheen
    Naseem
    Akif javed

Shadab
    Imaam ul haq
    Abdullah
    Shafique

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abid is a better player than even the improved Masood against good bowling, Shan had some lives in his 150.

Age again a sticking point though

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1038 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Would you not consider imran butt or omair bin yousuf
    They certainly have potential but as an international team Pakistan also needs experience of the international arena, which is why I opted for Sami Aslam and Imam ul Haq.

Surely if they work hard enough they will make the team but I don’t see them getting selected anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    I'd go

Shan masood
    Sami aslam
    Usman salahuddin
    Babar
    Omair bin Yousuf
    Rizwan
    Haider Ali
    Gohar
    Shaheen
    Naseem
    Akif javed

Shadab
    Imaam ul haq
    Abdullah
    Shafique
    I don’t think Salahuddin will ever get selected again... other than that a pretty decent team!

I forgot to add Rizwan in my team but he will definitely be the wicket keeper for Pakistan in the next few years.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4836 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Sami Aslam was a good prospect but I don't know if he has recovered from the trauma in Australia and addressed his short ball issues

Shan and Abid are not everyones cup of tea but on average are capable of putting up an opening partnership of 50 across conditions which is decent by Pakistani's historic standards, age may not be on their side but I think it would be harsh to drop these blokes right now

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They certainly have potential but as an international team Pakistan also needs experience of the international arena, which is why I opted for Sami Aslam and Imam ul Haq.

Surely if they work hard enough they will make the team but I don’t see them getting selected anytime soon.

I don’t think Salahuddin will ever get selected again... other than that a pretty decent team!

I forgot to add Rizwan in my team but he will definitely be the wicket keeper for Pakistan in the next few years.
    Yes I agree with you Sami aslam and imaam ul haq are defo in the reckoning and rightly should be given a chance ahead of who I mentioned.

I agree I dont see usman getting selected I just belive that when he was given a chance he was only given 1 test match he also has decent technique normally our players perform well in asian conditions but struggle in sena.

Rizwan garareneted to be thier for next 5 years.

Pakistan need to be move foward from harris sohail,shafiq,fawad