May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Congratulations to James Anderson on becoming the first fast bowler to get 600 Test wickets

Great achievement!

==

dgHIdG.md.jpg
    Last edited by The Viper; 25th August 2020 at 22:24.

Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Fantastic achievement. One of the greatest bowlers of all time without a shadow of doubt.

People who moan about his away average need to sit down and appreciate his marvelous skill.

Amazing longevity.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Congratulations Jimmy! It truly has been an honor to watch you bowl. Cricket is about enjoyment and there are few things in life more enjoyable than watching Jimmy Anderson swinging the ball. The skill level is unparalleled. When he came on to the scene and even till a few years later, I was unsure of Jimmy. But over the past decade his consistency and quality has made him surpass anything I would have ever thought he was capable of achieving.

ATG!
    Last edited by Slog; 25th August 2020 at 22:17.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1004 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to Jimmy Anderson!

Marvelous achievement.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Amazing bowler and dont think we we will see another like him for a while.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Congratulations to him!

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Fantastic achievement by Anderson here.

For any country, a bowler getting 100 wickets at 25 is far less valuable than a bowler getting 500 wickets at 27. This guy has won so many games for England. It's very hard for pacers to get 300+ wickets and he has gotten 600.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Milestone victims for James Anderson:
    1st: Mark Vermeulen (2003)
    50th: MS Dhoni (2007)
    100th: Jacques Kallis (2008)
    200th: Peter Siddle (2010)
    300th: Peter Fulton (2013)
    400th: Martin Guptill (2015)
    500th: Kraigg Brathwaite (2017)
    600th: Azhar Ali (2020)

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unblievable achievement by the Burnley express, the guy is a role model for any young quick, normally every season he makes a Hugh effort to come down to Burnley cc for a game at the club where it gets to help alot of funds for the club, my lad has had the opportunity on 2 occasions to take selfis and be in the same team as him in the Burnley x1 on that day. I still remember in the lancashire league summer 2001 he was playing we could tell he was going right to the top, following winter he got a contract for lancashire and got selected for England in the vb series in Australia as a rookey and he never looked back

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Jimmy, when you first arrived, cricket fans were so unsure of you. You even seemed down on yourself after being dropped in 2004. But I saw something in you right away. I saw a heart as strong as a lion, and twice as big. And as you trained, it wasn't just your skills that impressed me. No, it certainly wasn't just your skills. You showed something beyond that. Creativity, versatility, intelligence ... These are the traits that define a great swing bowler. And these are the traits that define you. Critics said that they didn't know if you were worthy, but I believe that you are more worthy than any man that has ever bowled for England.

#MPGA

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many congratulations!

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    More remarkable is the fact that the guy lost his place in the team from 2003 to 2006 and when he came back, he was used as the first or second change bowler. He had work really hard for his place and to iron out his flaws. He had bad series in between from 2007 to now i.e. the 2012 Home series vs South Africa, 2013-14 Ashes tour, but he bounced back from them every time

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legend of Test cricket no doubt. The longevity and consistency to play 156 Test matches, especially for a fast bowler, and still be taking 5-fers like it's nothing. Congratulations sir, very very well deserved

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Jimmy. Well Deserved.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    503 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations!

A true ATG.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When he first came, people laughed. Wasnt a good bowler.
    But than the way this guy transformed, him and broad were just remarkable.

Will he be playing another summer?

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great achievement 👏

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

Anderson & Broad are a deadly partnership. Ome of the best bowling partnerships in the modern era.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

Did they - he tore us apart at Cape Town under the lights at the 2003 WC. Showed promise then even if he didn't fulfill it in those first five years.
    Last edited by Markhor; 26th August 2020 at 00:21.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a man who burst onto the scene, then had 2 years where he struggled but he kept at it, was helped and wasnít discarded like is the want of some Pakistan fans with our young players itís amazing achievement especially from a fast bowler!

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Brilliant performances from an absolute master.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fantastic achievement and what a player he's been for England.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's phenomenal for a fast bowler to last 17+ years. He deserves all the praise!

Many call him Clouderson, but he has improved a lot taking many wickets everywhere in the last decade. There is a reason his bowling average kept improving.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a marvelous achievement. Deserves all the praise for it.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Great achievement His skill fitness and dedication to playing tests should be applauded

Well done jimmy

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In full flow he is a truly majestic bowler. To get 600 wickets is a magnificent achievement. The longevity factor shouldn't be downplayed as well. No fast bowler has as many wickets and as many tests as Jimmy. You have to respect him.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    James Anderson says he has been told by England captain Joe Root that he wants him to tour Australia for the next Ashes series in 2021-22.

The 38-year-old became the first fast bowler to take 600 Test wickets on Tuesday as England drew the final Test of the summer against Pakistan.

He took 11 wickets as England won the three-match series 1-0.

"I feel I still have stuff to offer this team and as long as I feel like that I'll keep going," he said.

Anderson will be 39 when England next tour Australia.

He has taken 60 wickets in 18 Tests in Australia and was a vital part of the team that won the Ashes in 2010-11.

"I've not thought Australia in that much detail," said Anderson. "I've chatted to Rooty about it a little bit and he has said he would like me to be in Australia. I don't see any reason why I can't be.

"I didn't bowl as well as I would have liked for the whole summer, but this Test I felt like I was really on it. I feel like I've still got stuff to offer this team and as long as I feel like that, I'll keep going.

"I don't think I've won my last Test as an England cricketer yet."

He claimed his 600th wicket on the final day when he had Pakistan captain Azhar Ali caught by his England counterpart Root at slip.

It made him the fourth highest wicket-taker in Test cricket, after spinners Muttiah Muralitharan, Shane Warne and Anil Kumble.

England do not know when their next Test will be due to the uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic, although they could tour Sri Lanka and India early in 2021.

"Annoyingly this is the last Test for what could be for a good few months now and I feel in great rhythm," Anderson said.

"I really focused on doing some technique work before the game started, and I felt in a really good place.

"I feel in great rhythm but it's nice to get back to the form I know I can show and hopefully that can continue for however long that might be."

England's six Tests this summer have been played behind closed doors, with the players staying in a bio-secure bubble at the ground.

"Personally I've struggled a little bit this summer just with the fact we couldn't get away from cricket," Anderson told Test Match Special.

"I found it really hard to switch off and it felt like there was a lot of noise around. You wake up, you open your curtains and the cricket ground is there.

"I sort of got distracted about what I do best and that's bowling well for England in Test cricket. I think I really got back to that this week."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/53904949

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Congrats! He is the Anil Kumble of fast bowling.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    England seamer James Anderson has raised the bar for fast bowlers around the world, much like India great Sachin Tendulkar did for batsmen, former Australia paceman Glenn McGrath said.

Anderson, playing in his 156th match, became the first seamer to capture 600 wickets in the game's longest format, as England settled for a draw against Pakistan after a rain-hit final day of the third test on Tuesday.

The 38-year-old's feat left him fourth in the list of leading test wicket-takers, with only spin bowlers Muttiah Muralitharan (800), Shane Warne (708) and Anil Kumble (619) ahead of him.

"He's set the bar a bit like Sachin has," McGrath, who previously held the record for most wickets by a pace bowler with 563, told the BBC.

"No one is ever going to catch Sachin in test cricket for the amount of runs he's scored (15,921) and the matches he's played (200). Jimmy's done the same for fast bowling.

"I didn't have the skill level Jimmy has. When he's swinging that ball, both ways, in control, there's no one better."

Former England skipper Michael Vaughan said they were "witnessing true greatness".

"I'd be lying if I said we thought we had a bowler that would get this many wickets. We thought we had a bowler of great promise and skill.

"I never in my wildest dreams thought 17 years later we'd be talking about him getting to 600."

Stuart Broad said he had been inspired by Anderson throughout his career.

"He's a role model to follow for every English cricketer... He's always searching to be better and better and 600 won't be the stopping of him."

https://supersport.com/cricket/engla..._great_McGrath

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Fantastic achievement. One of the greatest bowlers of all time without a shadow of doubt.

People who moan about his away average need to sit down and appreciate his marvelous skill.

Amazing longevity.
    While I agree that he is a brilliant bowler. How does 'skill' cover for his performances away. Surely a bowler that skilled would perform all around the world

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw him bowl live in Dubai and Sharjah if I recall.

He admittedly didn't have a lot of success.

But to me, he was just pure quality - even on surfaces his bowling is not best suited to. It was beautiful to watch. Even from the stands, you could tell he was not bowling even one ball without meaning.

On the other end were utter disasters in Moin Ali and Adil Rashid.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by therealAB View Post
    While I agree that he is a brilliant bowler. How does 'skill' cover for his performances away. Surely a bowler that skilled would perform all around the world
    That skill doesn't readily translate to a ball with a flat seam and which goes soft after 20 overs. Anderson needed more pace or height to be able to compensate bowling with a ball that doesn't swing. That is obviously to the detriment of his overall legacy.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. No one is claiming that Anderson is the best bowler of all time or more effective than the likes of Marshall, Ambrose, McGrath, Wasim, Steyn, Donald, Lillee et al under all conditions. The point is that as a pure swing bowler - which is a very specific qualifier - he is exceptional. Anyone disputing that is either clueless or trolling.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    698 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congrats Jimmy, my favorite English bowler of all time by far.

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Wonderful cricketer, a great character and a true roll model for youngsters. Congrats Jimmy for the monumental achievement, which we might not see repeated ever again.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I find it wryly amusing as to how Anderson has gone from Dukerson / Clouderson to bring deified on PP.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    That skill doesn't readily translate to a ball with a flat seam and which goes soft after 20 overs. Anderson needed more pace or height to be able to compensate bowling with a ball that doesn't swing. That is obviously to the detriment of his overall legacy.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter. No one is claiming that Anderson is the best bowler of all time or more effective than the likes of Marshall, Ambrose, McGrath, Wasim, Steyn, Donald, Lillee et al under all conditions. The point is that as a pure swing bowler - which is a very specific qualifier - he is exceptional. Anyone disputing that is either clueless or trolling.
    Interesting point. I dont disagree to that but how do you compare Jimmy with Philander who is shorter and slower than him but at the same time was far more destructive with the Kookaburra than Jimmy had been throughout his career?

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post

I definitely agree with that, but the definition pushed by @Mamoon for me it is a narrow definition of 'skill'. Skilled bowlers perform everywhere, that is the skill. It always gets me when people say things like 'McGrath wasn't very skilled', or 'Wasim was the most skilled bowler ever'. Bounce and accuracy are hugely underestimated in this regard and are harder to master than huge swing. For me in away conditions Anderson often bowled the wrong length - extremely defensive, ending up with a good economy but never threatening

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I definitely agree with that, but the definition pushed by @Mamoon for me it is a narrow definition of 'skill'. Skilled bowlers perform everywhere, that is the skill. It always gets me when people say things like 'McGrath wasn't very skilled', or 'Wasim was the most skilled bowler ever'. Bounce and accuracy are hugely underestimated in this regard and are harder to master than huge swing. For me in away conditions Anderson often bowled the wrong length - extremely defensive, ending up with a good economy but never threatening
    McGrath might not have been able to swing and reverse it both ways at will, though he could get reverse at faster pace than Anderson.

But he had greater height and bounce and more speed when he needed it. He had the most remarkable ability to visualise what to do to get a batter out, thinking not six balls in advance like Lillee and Hadlee but longer than that, setting the batter up to make a mistake. Not the three-card trick but the twelve. These attributes are ďskillĒ too.

And thatís why McGrath was an all-conditions bowler while Anderson is not.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson is eyeing 700 scalps now. Talk about logentivity.

Can Anderson get to 700 wickets? Why not, asks the pacer

"Why not?" James Anderson said when asked by reporters if 700 test wickets were now in his sights. The 38-year-old still feels like he has a lot to offer to this English side.
    https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...lXh9OM4cugwnvo

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Congrats! He is the Anil Kumble of fast bowling.
    Basically this.

Also
    Thereís at the very least 15 test quicks better than Anderson ever was and thatís only since 1970. Thereís several spinners better too.
    Mcgrath
    Ambrose
    Marshall
    Lillee
    Hadlee
    Khan
    Wasim
    Waqar
    Donald
    Pollock
    Steyn
    Holding
    Garner
    Walsh
    Philander
    Broad when he passes him.

Broad will pass his final total.

Steve Waugh has a better bowling average in Australia.

He chokes when the pressure is on.

Never hit the peaks of broad Flintoff or even harmison. Hell even Mitchell Johnson or Ryan Harris weíre better prime for prime.

Iím an Englishman but I keep it real and say it like it is.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by England First View Post
    Basically this.

Also
    There’s at the very least 15 test quicks better than Anderson ever was and that’s only since 1970. There’s several spinners better too.
    Mcgrath
    Ambrose
    Marshall
    Lillee
    Hadlee
    Khan
    Wasim
    Waqar
    Donald
    Pollock
    Steyn
    Holding
    Garner
    Walsh
    Philander

Never hit the peaks of broad Flintoff or even harmison. Hell even Mitchell Johnson or Ryan Harris we’re better prime for prime.

I’m an Englishman but I keep it real and say it like it is.
    Except Philander, every bowler you have named is better than him. He has a career average of 26.79, and an away average of 33.36. Good bowler, but nowhere close to guys like McGrath or Steyn.

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Great fast bowler, a Great Englishman, a Great lancastrian, and a Great Burnley lad, can't wait to see statue of jimmy Anderson outside of emirates old Trafford or Burnley cricket club

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will Rabada surpass 600 test wickets? He definitely wont play 150 tests like Anderson and Broad.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by England First View Post
    Basically this.

Also
    Thereís at the very least 15 test quicks better than Anderson ever was and thatís only since 1970. Thereís several spinners better too.
    Mcgrath
    Ambrose
    Marshall
    Lillee
    Hadlee
    Khan
    Wasim
    Waqar
    Donald
    Pollock
    Steyn
    Holding
    Garner
    Walsh
    Philander

Never hit the peaks of broad Flintoff or even harmison. Hell even Mitchell Johnson or Ryan Harris weíre better prime for prime.

Iím an Englishman but I keep it real and say it like it is.
    Philander lol.

You can add Bob Willis. I don't think Broad will surpass Jimmy even if he end with 600 wickets.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Amazing longevity.
    If you're not an all conditions bowler (like Anderson is). You can't be an ATG. It's as simple as that really.

Only a biased Englishman or England supporter would make such a claim.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    McGrath might not have been able to swing and reverse it both ways at will, though he could get reverse at faster pace than Anderson.

But he had greater height and bounce and more speed when he needed it. He had the most remarkable ability to visualise what to do to get a batter out, thinking not six balls in advance like Lillee and Hadlee but longer than that, setting the batter up to make a mistake. Not the three-card trick but the twelve. These attributes are “skill” too.

And that’s why McGrath was an all-conditions bowler while Anderson is not.
    Yep. Always peeves me that this intelligence and control is not seen as skillful

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by topspin View Post
    If you're not an all conditions bowler (like Anderson is). You can't be an ATG. It's as simple as that really.
    Who established this criteria?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    McGrath is probably the most successful bowler ever. No one is disputing the fact that he was much better than Anderson.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who established this criteria?
    Someone who isn't a biased England fan

An average white ball bowler and an average overseas performer could never be an ATG. I really don't need to justify that.

If you look at Waqar Younis, you could argue if it wasn't for his ODI record, he may have missed out on ATG status because he didn't do well in tests played in Australia and India because they were the two best batting sides during his playing career.
    Last edited by topspin; 27th August 2020 at 22:33.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Someone who isn't a biased England fan

An average white ball bowler and an average overseas performer could never be an ATG. I really don't need to justify that.

If you look at Waqar Younis, you could argue if it wasn't for his ODI record, he may have missed out on ATG status because he didn't do well in tests played in Australia and India because they were the two best batting sides during his playing career.
    When you take 600 Test wickets - more than any pacer in history - that too at an excellent average of 26, you are an ATG irrespective of your away average and your Limited Overs record.

It is ridiculous to suggest that Anderson does not belong in that league when he holds a record that literally no other pacer in history has.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    When you take 600 Test wickets - more than any pacer in history - that too at an excellent average of 26, you are an ATG irrespective of your away average and your Limited Overs record.

It is ridiculous to suggest that Anderson does not belong in that league when he holds a record that literally no other pacer in history has.
    Not necessary. You can't be an ATG just becoming a leading wicket-taker.

Kapil Dev at one point was a leading wicket-taker also but he is not ATG bowler. There is no rule that says that no one after Jimmy will ever take 600+ test wickets.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post

Kapil Dev at one point was a leading wicket-taker also but he is not ATG bowler. There is no rule that says that no one after Jimmy will ever take 600+ test wickets.
    Precisely this. Mamoon’s claims have been debunked easily with this case in point.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Ab Fan

Just to add to the above as well:

When you consider the away stats of lower tier/marginal ATG bowlers such as Courtney Walsh and Waqar Younis and then look at how far off Anderson is with his away test average, it’s so obvious to see that Anderson isn’t an ATG.

He’s had a very fine career but for me he’s one or two levels below ATG status.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)

Precisely this. Mamoon’s claims have been debunked easily with this case in point.
    The difference is that Kapil overtook Richard Hadlee who had 431 wickets while Kapil ended up with 434.

Anderson didnít just overtake a fast bowler by a few wickets; he is the first fast bowler in history to achieve the elusive landmark of 600 wickets and his legacy as a bowler is cemented because of this remarkable feat.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Ab Fan

Just to add to the above as well:

When you consider the away stats of lower tier/marginal ATG bowlers such as Courtney Walsh and Waqar Younis and then look at how far off Anderson is with his away test average, it’s so obvious to see that Anderson isn’t an ATG.

He’s had a very fine career but for me he’s one or two levels below ATG status.
    As a bowler, I would say Anderson is a borderline ATG and just slightly better than Kapil Dev. Dev averages 26 at home and 32 away but delivering the best against the great WI away.

Jimmy on other hand averages 23 at home(in England conditions more conducive to swing bowling) and 32 away.

When Dev went past Hadlee's record, only two bowlers were part of the elusive landmark of 400 wickets, Hadlee and Kapil.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Can everyone stop calling Anderson a “fast bowler“ please?

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    The simple fact is that James Anderson will forever be the highest test wicket taker among fast bowlers till the end of time. And that will forever keep his name relevant and etched into history books.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    556 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Jimmy is an artist, a great bowler, amongst the best to play the game because of his skills. Would he get into ATG 11 or an ATG 2nd 11, no but that doesnt detract from his amazing achievements.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    600 wickets is a lot of hard work so well deserved praise.

All time great in England overseas very poor.
    Some blind umpires not calling him when running down the wicket so rhythm not disturbed, overseas bowlers are quickly called.

Still the best swing bowler for England.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    McGrath is probably the most successful bowler ever. No one is disputing the fact that he was much better than Anderson.
    My comment was more general. Why do we consider Anderson 'skilled' when he lacked some attributes. What makes him more skillful than Neil Wagner, just because he is a more elegant bowler?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    My comment was more general. Why do we consider Anderson 'skilled' when he lacked some attributes. What makes him more skillful than Neil Wagner, just because he is a more elegant bowler?
    What makes Anderson more skillful than Wagner is the fact that Wagner will never be good enough to take 600 Test wickets. Even if New Zealand get to play as many Tests and England, do you seem him remaining successful and bouncing batsmen out for another 100+ Tests?

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    The simple fact is that James Anderson will forever be the highest test wicket taker among fast bowlers till the end of time. And that will forever keep his name relevant and etched into history books.
    There is a great chance that Broad will overtake him if Anderson retires around the 650 mark which he probably will.

He continues to push barriers but I donít think he has 700 wickets in him.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anderson got 600 in a decade where every batsmen is scoring runs for fun.

Don't forget that when you compare him with bowles of 80's and 90's.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leg-side-flick View Post

Bowling average for this decade has actually been quite low, particularly in England

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What makes Anderson more skillful than Wagner is the fact that Wagner will never be good enough to take 600 Test wickets. Even if New Zealand get to play as many Tests and England, do you seem him remaining successful and bouncing batsmen out for another 100+ Tests?
    Wagner takes much more wpm than Anderson
    Yes, I can see him continuing to bounce out batsmen as he is unique in his mo

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leg-side-flick View Post

The second half of the last decade had some of the most bowling friendly pitches in history. The competition between bat and ball was quite intense.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Wagner takes much more wpm than Anderson
    Yes, I can see him continuing to bounce out batsmen as he is unique in his mo
    Longevity cannot be ignored. Doing something for 48 Tests is not comparable to doing it for 156 Tests.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Longevity cannot be ignored. Doing something for 48 Tests is not comparable to doing it for 156 Tests.
    I agree, but that is purely an argument from longevity

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    England great James Anderson is taking inspiration from Tom Brady and Ryan Giggs as he targets playing top-level cricket into his forties.

Anderson, 38, reached the latest landmark of a phenomenal career this week when he took his 600th Test wicket in England's draw against Pakistan at Southampton.

No fast bowler has taken more in the longest format and Anderson, who first turned out for England in Tests 17 years ago, feels he has plenty more miles left on the clock.

Manchester United great Giggs and six-time Super Bowl-winning quarterback Brady are useful touchstones, especially with the 2021-22 Ashes in Australia on the horizon.

"I'm a member of the same golf club as Ryan but I've never met him, or spoken to him," Anderson told The Times. "But I've looked into it, because I just want to see whether you should be doing anything different approaching your forties, but I don't think there is. Some people are just lucky with their metabolism.

"You see Tom Brady and you wouldn't think that he's 42 to see him play. I think there is a bit of stigma around age in sport, but I don't see any reason why I can't play into my forties.

"I don't set targets but I've spoken to Joe [Root, England captain] and he's keen for me to go to Australia. I never like to look too far ahead, and we don't know when we'll be playing next, but I'll be preparing as I always do.

"I want to keep playing. If I feel like I do now, I don't see why I can't play into my forties, go to Australia and beyond.

"Everyone has got their opinions about retirement, but I feel I'm improving as a bowler and I don't feel like I'm levelling off yet. As long as I keep doing that, why would I stop?"

https://www.sportskeeda.com/cricket/...1-22-ashes-bid

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sri Lanka great Kumar Sangakkara believes England's James Anderson may have set a record that will be "Jimmy's alone" after he became the first paceman to take 600 Test wickets. Anderson, 38, made history when he had Pakistan captain Azhar Ali caught at slip by England skipper Joe Root in the drawn third Test at Southampton on Tuesday. MCC president Sangakkara, in an email to club members published Saturday, said Anderson's feat was a "joyful moment for the ages" and "an exceptional achievement". "Jimmy is a fast bowler of immense skill and determination," added the 42-year-old Sangakkara, a former Sri Lanka captain.

"His achievement is tremendous, not just for the fact that it is 600 wickets, but also for what that entails in terms of effort, commitment and reinvention."

The only bowlers ahead of Anderson in the all-time list of Test wicket-takers are three retired spinners -- Sri Lanka's Muttiah Muralitharan (800), Australia's Shane Warne (708) and India's Anil Kumble (619).

And of the three other fast bowlers to have taken more than 500 Test wickets, only Anderson's longstanding England new-ball colleague Stuart Broad (514 wickets), is still an active cricketer, with Australia's Glenn McGrath (563) and West Indies' Courtney Walsh (519) having long since hung up their boots.

"He has set a record for current and future pace bowlers to chase, but it may just be one record that will be Jimmy's and Jimmy's alone," said Sangakkara, a former wicketkeeper-batsman who appeared in 134 Tests and was Sri Lanka's captain when they lost the 2011 World Cup final to India in Mumbai.

"It was my great privilege to play against him and I now share with you the enjoyment of watching him from beyond the boundary rope for as long as he may continue."

Sangakkara is the first overseas president in the 233-year-old history of Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC), the owners of London's Lord's cricket ground.

By tradition, MCC presidents serve for just one year.

But with no internationals being played at Lord's, 'the home of cricket' in 2020 because of Covid-19 -- Saturday will see the ground's first match of the season when Middlesex play Kent in an English domestic Twenty20 -- Sangakkara's time in office has been extended by 12 months.

"I would like to thank you (the MCC membership) for your support in granting an extension to my term as president," Sangakkara wrote in acknowledgement.

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/jame...akkara-2287304

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2746 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    One of the most cherished and awaited cricketing rivalries is between James Anderson and Indian captain Virat Kohli. It all started when the Englishman dominated the Indian right-hander during MS Dhoni-led India's 2014 tour of England.

During the tour, Kohli failed to get going and amassed only 134 runs in five Tests, at an average of 13.40. In addition, Anderson was at his very best versus Kohli and dismissed him on four occasions. Further, Kohli managed only 19 runs in 50 balls versus Anderson. Hence, he averaged a mere 4.75 versus the English seamer.

However, the script changed drastically during India's 2018 tour of England. Back then, skipper Kohli turned the tides and managed to prevent Anderson's threat throughout the course of the series. In the face-off versus Anderson, Kohli kept him at bay and scored 114 runs in 270 balls without getting dismissed by him. On the other hand, he ended the series as the leading run-getter with 593 runs, at 59.30, with two tons and three half-centuries.

Ahead of England's 2021 tour of India, the 38-year-old Anderson opened up on his rivalry with Kohli and expects another tough battle next year. "It's always tough bowling against batsmen of that quality," Anderson told the Test Match Special podcast on Friday. "Obviously, I've had some success against him in 2014 and then he came back a completely different player in 2018 and it was incredible. It will be a tough battle in that respect, but that's something I do enjoy against the best players. As a bowler, you want to get the best players out."

He opined, "I just felt like he left a lot better and he was a lot more patient [in 2018]. He waited for you to come to him because he's very strong off his legs; he got more off that shot. And once he got any start, he played a bit more expansively. His all-round game, both his mental approach and his technique, was that little bit better."

"We have had our success. We tried to roll fingers down the side of the ball, just try to make it grip on the dry surface. Having skills like that really helps. We enjoyed bowling [in India]," concluded Anderson.

Unless the schedule doesn't change, as has been the norm amid the COVID-19 times, England are scheduled to tour India in early 2021. It will be interesting to see who gets the better of the other in the upcoming contest between the two stalwarts.

Meanwhile, Anderson recently became the first pacer to enter the 600-wicket club in the purest format. He remains at the fourth spot in the overall wicket-tally.

https://www.timesnownews.com/sports/...ndia-in/644997

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1398 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    This guy.... damn!

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Both Anderson and Broad are ATGs.

ATG bowlers of this generation:-

1. Cummins
    2. Bumrah
    3. Rabada
    4. Anderson
    5. Ashwin
    6. Broad

Last edited by Ab Fan; 22nd January 2021 at 14:56.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Crazy that he's still going at 38.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Both Anderson and Broad are ATGs.

ATG bowlers of this generation:-

1. Cummins
    2. Bumrah
    3. Rabada
    4. Anderson
    5. Ashwin
    6. Broad

Shaheen might have something to say about that.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    12 overs, 3-15. Every one else is going at 3-4 rpo and not taking any wickets.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    969 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)

Amazing longevity.
    Pretty much this.

Life is more than being a spreadsheet ATG.

I define some players as flawed geniuses.

Anderson, Sehwag come under the category.

Not the best in all conditions but a force of nature in their conditions and very good in most conditions.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 22nd January 2021 at 17:02.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    969 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Anderson in swinging conditions is probably the greatest pacer.

Scary scary bowler.