Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Misbah-ul-Haq to face the music from the PCB hierarchy

I have it on good authority that the PCB hierarchy is not happy with some of the decisions that Misbah-Ul-Haq made during the recently concluded tour of England.

The PCB leadership is particularly not happy with Misbah picking Sarfaraz over Rizwan in the 3rd T20I and they feel this decision was made just to keep the Karachi medai off his back.

Another decision that they are unhappy with is why Haider Ali was only given a chance in the final match of the tour and not beforehand.

Linked to the Haider Ali decision is why younger players such as Hasnain and Khushdil Shah were not given a single opportunity on the tour.

Whilst the PCB management is not willing to sack Misbah as Head Coach at the moment, they will in no uncertain terms quiz him about the above issues and he will have to face the music when he meets the PCB management at the post-tour review meeting.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    550 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Good.

Not picking Haider Ali was a shocker.

Malik's record has been declining, he doesn't do well in England, and his selection hurt the batting combination by making it full of accumulators.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Does the captain have any say when picking up team?

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    His captains are either new or not performing well and overall yes men. Misbah alone is the man who picks the team.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be no progress in our cricket until and unless Misbah and Waqar are gone.
    The higher ups have realised this, but cant sack them..

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pacy with wisdom View Post
    There will be no progress in our cricket until and unless Misbah and Waqar are gone.
    The higher ups have realised this, but cant sack them..
    Its gonna take losing few world cups to make them realize.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol. Misbah should have been quized for plenty of things he has done for Pakistan as a player, captain and now coach in the last one decade. I would have grilled him for that Mohali knock and am pretty sure his explanation would have been unsatisfactory and therefore would have shown him the door immediately.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I have it on good authority that the PCB hierarchy is not happy with some of the decisions that Misbah-Ul-Haq made during the recently concluded tour of England.

The PCB leadership is particularly not happy with Misbah picking Sarfaraz over Rizwan in the 3rd T20I and they feel this decision was made just to keep the Karachi medai off his back.

Another decision that they are unhappy with is why Haider Ali was only given a chance in the final match of the tour and not beforehand.

Linked to the Haider Ali decision is why younger players such as Hasnain and Khushdil Shah were not given a single opportunity on the tour.

Whilst the PCB management is not willing to sack Misbah as Head Coach at the moment, they will in no uncertain terms quiz him about the above issues and he will have to face the music when he meets the PCB management at the post-tour review meeting.
    Misbah ul Haq was a poor limited overs cricketer and captain. Our limited overs cricket suffered immensely under his defensive and uninspiring leadership. We failed to win any major trophies.

I was very surprised and disappointed when he was appointed coach of our team. I am not sure why PCB keeps turning to him. We clearly had a better structure / team under Mickey Arthur and Sarfaraz.

Misbah needs to be kept away from our limited overs team. We really need to start looking forward and stop clinging onto someone who some people believe to be our "Savior in chief" when in fact he was and continues to be our "Destroyer in chief".

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol. Misbah should have been quized for plenty of things he has done for Pakistan as a player, captain and now coach in the last one decade. I would have grilled him for that Mohali knock and am pretty sure his explanation would have been unsatisfactory and therefore would have shown him the door immediately.
    You have hit the nail on the head...!! Misbah played a very important role in losing that match for us. He should've been sacked after that knock. But we made him captain...!! And we stuck with him till the next world cup - losing both the 2015 WC and 2013 CT under him.

Baffles me to this day... Things could've been so different..

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    PCB should've asked Misbah to face the music after the Australia tour, not because we lost, but because of the appalling bowling attack he picked. What rationale was behind selecting Musa Khan and Imran Khan given their 2019 QEA Trophy numbers ?

PCB should also investigate why Misbah continues to back two batsmen clearly past their prime in Azhar Ali (an inept Test captain to boot) and Asad Shafiq. Okay if Azhar's bought himself some time with that 141, what explains Shafiq's selection ?

PCB should also inform Misbah he can take one of Mohammad Hafeez or Shoaib Malik (preferably Hafeez) to the T20 World Cup, but not both. The English commentators were openly laughing on air at the notion of two 40 year olds in a T20 middle order.

Also, PCB themselves should face the music. You appointed an unqualified man who didn't even meet your own criteria and gave him a dual role. And you reappointed a failed coach in Waqar to assist him. It's like the old saying - when you surround yourself with clowns, don't be surprised when a circus turns up.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah has always been celebrated as some kind of saviour who fought gallantly and led a weak team, when he himself was a big reason for our problems.

in a way i am happy that he has been given such a powerful role.This will expose him for what he is; a horrible analyst, tactician and player developer.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    PCB should've asked Misbah to face the music after the Australia tour, not because we lost, but because of the appalling bowling attack he picked. What rationale was behind selecting Musa Khan and Imran Khan given their 2019 QEA Trophy numbers ?
    This. Shockers started from the Aus tour itself and maybe even before that in Srl series in T20s. PCB needs to bring in some accountability here.

Debut
    Oct 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is true PCB is truly a joke.

PCB is more concerned about who was playing and who wasn't than the pathetic performance of the team in the test series.

Sarfaraz was picked to assist Babar in the field as someone told me he was heavily involved in field setting and instructing the bowlers which is wrong. Captain has to be asserting his authority while Rizwan being dropped was not a good idea.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He did a good job picking an extra spinner in the first test. It was the right decision and worked out. It looked like Pakistan got their tactics right in the 1st test too, bar that one dreadful period that cost the game, but it's difficult to plan for that they were counter-attacking, and all captain and bowlers had to do was hold their nerve, which they didn't they bottled it.

After the 1st test, Pakistan looked disorganised and streaky. There didn't seem to be a plan a lot of the time. Maybe they were so devastated by the 1st test loss who knows. So the rest of the tour, doesn't look good for Misbah.

I wouldn't say not picking youngsters cost him the tour. In some ways the opposite. Naseem Shah didn't look ready tbh, but I understand he can come good. Perhaps if you had just some experience there, they wouldn't have got rattled by Butler and Woakes. Not even the test bowlers fault, they are so young, they are hardly ever in that sort of situation in an away ground like that. At least Haider Ali played, it is tough to get in a new player in. Misbah had to drop a guy averaging 58 to get him in the side. That batting line up in terms of averages in T20s is stacked. At least he got him in the side, where he will now stay. And the way Riaz bowled, you could have argued why Misbah didn't play him first and how disappointing Rauf was.

All in All Misbah was disappointing. But I'd wait for the series in asia to really see. We draw/lose in England regardless. I want to see this team actually getting series wins, especially against top sides again, even if it is in Asia. Wins are what is important, not honourable draws/losses.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A post mortem is certainly required and Misbah deserves the brunt of the scrutiny given he is head coach/chief selector.

That being said the captains should also be questioned.

One is responsible off the field and the other on the field and together they hold the responsibility re: team selection, game plan and execution of the plan.

This kind of pressure can only help a positive and winning mentality to flourish.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamanFan View Post

PCB is more concerned about who was playing and who wasn't than the pathetic performance of the team in the test series.

Sarfaraz was picked to assist Babar in the field as someone told me he was heavily involved in field setting and instructing the bowlers which is wrong. Captain has to be asserting his authority while Rizwan being dropped was not a good idea.
    I thought it was an ok decision tbh, and clearly understood why it was done. I would go with Rizwan in the future, but with us desperate for at least one win on the tour, I totally get why we played Sarfraz that match. I probably would have done the same thing too, going winless on the tour would have really confidence shattering, the series would have been a complete failure. There was no way to know Sarfraz would muck up a stumping like that, he's not an incredible wicketkeeper, but usually he isn't that bad.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    PCB should first question themselves. Misbah should have been ineligible for the job let alone getting hired. How can a person with no coaching experience or coaching course be picked to coach the national side? The cherry on top was when he was made chief selector as well and at one point batting coach also. Still baffles to this day how Misbah was considered qualified enough or maybe there were no qualifications or requirements needed for the job. Misbah's hiring is probably the most incompetent move by any renowned organisation on the planet. Its like making someone who has passed his A levels the teacher and principal of his school. Utter incompetency and probably corruption

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamanFan View Post

This!
    Seriously, this is as stupid as it gets. Just think through the logic here. It's comedy.

"PCB is not pleased with chief selector's selection."

How absurd can it get? You are paying the guy a ton of money, for what?

If you (PCB) want the selector to select a team of YOUR choice, then, WHAT'S THE POINT OF HAVING THE SELECTOR IN THE FIRST PLACE ????? Just fire him!

Why don't PCB "hierarchy" just the select the team of it's liking? What's the point of paying the selector?
    lol .. Not sure if this more stupid or funny?

As you correctly figured, it's the pathetic performance that should've been the focus not to make Misbah face the music, but face the exit door, together with Waqar of course.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    908 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    PCB's job isnt related to who is playing and who is not.
    Pcb can only remove misbah on performance based.

Pcb job is admin based. If they decide to fire misbah as selector, he should sue them after his coaching contract ends.

Unprofessional stuff from pcb.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    908 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If pcb was gonna fire or have a talk with misbah on test performance than that was alright. There pcb had authority to do so.

But in the scenario mentioned in OP, pcb cant dictate the coach and selector who to play and who not to play.
    Let me remind posters here that when a squad is finalized, the last signature that makes it official is the chairmans signature. Without his signature squad is not final.

Now the issue in pcb headquater seems that why is sarfraz playing...

Also had hafeez not performed people would had bashing misbah in hindsight, now he has performed no one is talking about that.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    PCB's job isnt related to who is playing and who is not.
    Pcb can only remove misbah on performance based.

Pcb job is admin based. If they decide to fire misbah as selector, he should sue them after his coaching contract ends.

Unprofessional stuff from pcb.
    Misbah the beghairat performance is as shocking as it can possibly get. Excellent stuff by PCB to question this clown. Lol about sue. We as fans should sue misbah the beghairat for being an awful player, captain, and now a selector and coach.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Khan12 View Post
    Misbah the beghairat performance is as shocking as it can possibly get. Excellent stuff by PCB to question this clown. Lol about sue. We as fans should sue misbah the beghairat for being an awful player, captain, and now a selector and coach.
    Who appointed misbah as selector coach....

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    His captains are either new or not performing well and overall yes men. Misbah alone is the man who picks the team.
    Babar had a say in selection hence why he included both malik and hafeez in the team he has said multiple times he needs the seniors

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. But we already knew that Misbah doesn't give many opportunities to young players. So hiring him and then reprimanding him for the very things we'd knew he'd do as coach seems a bit silly really.

I do support Misbah being accountable for this series though. It was a disaster in my opinion. Rain affected draws and a 5 run win over England 2nd XI did little to paper over the cracks for me.

Asad Shafiq should be in that room after Misbah lol.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Surprising. Usually losses don't tend to matter to the PCB in terms of coaching staff unless it's after a World Cup.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB ARE the cause of this

they selected an amateur as a coach

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2069 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Nothing is going to happen. Wasim Khan is naive and ignorant. He himself imposed this useless Misbah ul Haq on us.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good news. Regardless of the outcome of these talks (potentially replacing the chief selector which would be ideal), this means Misbah will be feeling the pressure to:
    - Back Haider Ali
    - Remove Iftikhar, Sarfaraz, and Malik
    - Back at least one more young batsman

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    To be honest this tour will have been quite a success if it purges Iftikhar, Malik, Asad Shafiq from the Test and T20 teams, and allows Haider and Khushdil to be bred in.

Babar is finding confidence as a skip as well.

I donít mind the results of this tour at all which is sad to say but I donít believe the Pakistan team have ever inducted youngsters unless itís a bad patch.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah and Waqar are a deadly combo in terms of defensive planning and approach towards the game. Shahdab should have been selected by board as the limited over captain and Shan Masood would make a good test captain.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It doesn’t matter how good or bad they are, the younger talent draw a lot of interest in the viewership. Haider Ali should have played all 3 T20is just like Tom Banton did. How could they not understand this? The kid was the best Pakistani batsman in last year’s PSL!

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll pay attention when there is meaningful action. For now, this is a incompetent organization trying to find someone to blame

Also, I'm thinking PCB is leaking this information (on purpose) because the public is upset, and they just want to put on a show

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    Should he?

Does Babar Azam play enough domestic cricket or know enough about domestic cricket to make logical decisions about the XI? Does Babar Azam have advanced knowledge about team-building? Does he have certain traits that he's looking for in No.3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc...

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by unemployedgm View Post
    Should he?

Does Babar Azam play enough domestic cricket or know enough about domestic cricket to make logical decisions about the XI? Does Babar Azam have advanced knowledge about team-building? Does he have certain traits that he's looking for in No.3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, etc...
    Than he shouldn't be the captain...

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plenty to grill Misbah on regarding the 1st year of his tenure. However the points mentioned in the first post make no sense.

1) Rizwan has played consistently for 3 Tests and the first two T20s. He is a keeper. It is perfectly fine to rest a player at the end of the tour. Also, the Sarfaraz move worked out fine. He was chirpy on the field, and actually provided great support to Babar.

2) The first T20 got washed out but Pakistan were in a dominant position. They played the more experienced squad going into the first T20. These are day to day decisions and can't blame someone for not blooding a new player. In the second T20, the batsmen did their job. There wasn't much Haider Ali was going to do better than what was done.

3) I think it is clear to everyone that Hasnain isn't ready for international level yet. Out of the 6 matches Pakistan played 3 were heavily rain affected with another one having rain/light issues. This was a far from normal tour.

I would question Misbah about the following two things,

1) Lack of re-setting at breaks in the first Test. Why didn't the think tank get together and send suggestions down to Azhar Ali to change tactics. Why wasn't Waqar/Mushy tasked with working with bowlers to change bowling plans in-match?

2) Why was Asad Shafiq selected for the final Test? He had shown no indication up to that point that he could score runs. That was the most dreadful decision of this tour I think.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CleverSir View Post
    Plenty to grill Misbah on regarding the 1st year of his tenure. However the points mentioned in the first post make no sense.

1) Rizwan has played consistently for 3 Tests and the first two T20s. He is a keeper. It is perfectly fine to rest a player at the end of the tour. Also, the Sarfaraz move worked out fine. He was chirpy on the field, and actually provided great support to Babar.

2) The first T20 got washed out but Pakistan were in a dominant position. They played the more experienced squad going into the first T20. These are day to day decisions and can't blame someone for not blooding a new player. In the second T20, the batsmen did their job. There wasn't much Haider Ali was going to do better than what was done.

3) I think it is clear to everyone that Hasnain isn't ready for international level yet. Out of the 6 matches Pakistan played 3 were heavily rain affected with another one having rain/light issues. This was a far from normal tour.

I would question Misbah about the following two things,

1) Lack of re-setting at breaks in the first Test. Why didn't the think tank get together and send suggestions down to Azhar Ali to change tactics. Why wasn't Waqar/Mushy tasked with working with bowlers to change bowling plans in-match?

2) Why was Asad Shafiq selected for the final Test? He had shown no indication up to that point that he could score runs. That was the most dreadful decision of this tour I think.
    Sarfraz fans repeatedly saying the move worked well, when he almost single handedly caused them to lose a match and without him pakistan would have won by at least 50 runs, is the most hilarious fake news to me

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    Than he shouldn't be the captain...
    Who said he is the captain? The real captain is Misbah.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Sarfraz fans repeatedly saying the move worked well, when he almost single handedly caused them to lose a match and without him pakistan would have won by at least 50 runs, is the most hilarious fake news to me
    How did he single handily almost lose us the match?

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He missed the easiest stumping ever and revived the career of struggling Moeen Ali singlehandedly. Had we got him at that point, England would have been all out for 120 or less.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can understand the sarfraz decision since Babar was so hopeless at setting his fields. I donít mind Sarfraz playing t20ís ahead of Rizwan unless we find a way to play Rizwan at no. 3. People will say Babar and Rizwan canít play in the top 3, and maybe they are right, in which case, Rizwan or Babar at 8 are about equal. Sarfraz takes it because of his captaincy experience. Rizwan is still no. 1 keeper for ODIís and tests, no doubt.

I agree that decision not to play Haider earlier was wrong and Khushdil deserved to get games ahead of Malik.

Also, something that no one is talking about is SHINWARI - the forgotten pacer of Pakistan! This guy should have been playing the tests in Australia ahead of Musa, no doubt in my mind about that.

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is one point I disagree with, that being having a go at Misbah for giving sarfaraz a chance in the final t20.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    463 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Questions should be asked. Some of the decisions he made need explaining.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Which PCB leadership are we talking about?? If its Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan then they should be questioned themselves for giving Misbah so much authority in the first place

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asadee View Post
    Which PCB leadership are we talking about?? If its Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan then they should be questioned themselves for giving Misbah so much authority in the first place
    Yep cause most of us saw it coming
    Even the most smartest and qualified individuals struggle with these dual roles

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming this is true the review should start with the PCB looking at itself.
    They chose to make him selector and head coach.
    Whilst it is not unreasonable to question the teamís performance, the selection issues were a consequence of their flawed governance.

They will, of course, now seek to deflect the blame and so the cycle continues.
    By the way, if Babar is incapable of setting fields why is he captain to a relatively inexperienced bowling attack ?

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If Moen Ali had been out on the stumping chance Sarfaraz missed, England wouldnt even have reached 130

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    239 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePalestine View Post
    I can understand the sarfraz decision since Babar was so hopeless at setting his fields. I don’t mind Sarfraz playing t20’s ahead of Rizwan unless we find a way to play Rizwan at no. 3. People will say Babar and Rizwan can’t play in the top 3, and maybe they are right, in which case, Rizwan or Babar at 8 are about equal. Sarfraz takes it because of his captaincy experience. Rizwan is still no. 1 keeper for ODI’s and tests, no doubt.

I agree that decision not to play Haider earlier was wrong and Khushdil deserved to get games ahead of Malik.

Also, something that no one is talking about is SHINWARI - the forgotten pacer of Pakistan! This guy should have been playing the tests in Australia ahead of Musa, no doubt in my mind about that.
    Then make Sarfaraz captain if you think Babar cannot perform. The excuse is so hilarious, particularly since Sarfrz single handedly lost an almost won match. imagine the thinking, the captain i chose is dud so lets select an useless player just to be a proxy captain

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    It doesn’t matter how good or bad they are, the younger talent draw a lot of interest in the viewership. Haider Ali should have played all 3 T20is just like Tom Banton did. How could they not understand this? The kid was the best Pakistani batsman in last year’s PSL!
    Agreed and bantom was very poor but yet had all three games

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Should he?

I fink he does he choose to pick malik and hafeez in the team I fink he gains confidence in having Malik and hafeez in the team for support.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Then make Sarfaraz captain if you think Babar cannot perform. The excuse is so hilarious, particularly since Sarfrz single handedly lost an almost won match. imagine the thinking, the captain i chose is dud so lets select an useless player just to be a proxy captain
    I know man, it may not sound right. As was clear in my post, I am not really a fan of Misbahís coaching. I personally do not think there was any need to remove Sarfraz from the T20 captaincy. That was another of Misbahís mistakes.

Babar is a passionate captain but is making a lot of errors in the field. He doesnít seem to be the most tactically astute. So I guess Sarfraz was the need of the hour. In fact, I am pretty sure the reason he played was to help Babar with the captaincy. It is not an ideal situation.

Anyway, I wouldnít be as reductive as you on this either. As I also said in my post, playing Rizwan or Sarfraz in T20ís, there is not much difference in terms of their batting productivity if they are coming in at 8. They will deliver roughly the same. Yes, Rizwan could potentially be a better keeper, but Sarfraz is himself not a bad keeper. He missed that Moeen Ali stumping, but if you had been following them both for a while, you would know that and all the other nuances in this discussion that you are not aware of. I repeat: Rizwan is still the first choice keeper in test and ODI cricket.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Biggest question unanswered is He taking revenge for his late start in cricket and that is why he loves to play 35+ seniors and hesitant to give youngsters any chance.

He has taken Sohail Khan, Imran Khan, Kashif bhatti, Wahab riaz and Fawad alam for the test side

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know man, it may not sound right. As was clear in my post, I am not really a fan of Misbah’s coaching. I personally do not think there was any need to remove Sarfraz from the T20 captaincy. That was another of Misbah’s mistakes.

Babar is a passionate captain but is making a lot of errors in the field. He doesn’t seem to be the most tactically astute. So I guess Sarfraz was the need of the hour. In fact, I am pretty sure the reason he played was to help Babar with the captaincy. It is not an ideal situation.

Anyway, I wouldn’t be as reductive as you on this either. As I also said in my post, playing Rizwan or Sarfraz in T20’s, there is not much difference in terms of their batting productivity if they are coming in at 8. They will deliver roughly the same. Yes, Rizwan could potentially be a better keeper, but Sarfraz is himself not a bad keeper. He missed that Moeen Ali stumping, but if you had been following them both for a while, you would know that and all the other nuances in this discussion that you are not aware of. I repeat: Rizwan is still the first choice keeper in test and ODI cricket.
    Should we not look for a batter who can keep at an okay standard atleast he will contribute to the team bismillah khan muhammed harris rohail nazir ?

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Should we not look for a batter who can keep at an okay standard atleast he will contribute to the team bismillah khan muhammed harris rohail nazir ?
    Yes, 100%. Neither Sarfraz nor Rizwan are really suitable for the role they are playing in the T20 side.

I am not sure whether these players you mention are ready. What little I saw of Bismillah, he seemed like he was the closest to being ready, but definitely seemed a bit of a wild slogger (it is what we need, but we need the slogging to be of a certain quality). So I am not sure whether those guys are ready or not but longterm, definitely need a hard-hitting batsman-wk for the T20 side. Rohail seemed class at U19 level, but had a poor domestic season. Muhammad Harris I am not sure, have not seen much of him.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, 100%. Neither Sarfraz nor Rizwan are really suitable for the role they are playing in the T20 side.

I am not sure whether these players you mention are ready. What little I saw of Bismillah, he seemed like he was the closest to being ready, but definitely seemed a bit of a wild slogger (it is what we need, but we need the slogging to be of a certain quality). So I am not sure whether those guys are ready or not but longterm, definitely need a hard-hitting batsman-wk for the T20 side. Rohail seemed class at U19 level, but had a poor domestic season. Muhammad Harris I am not sure, have not seen much of him.
    Yes all three are not that experienced but out of the three bismillah khan is proberly more ready that the other 2.

Muhammad harris is a keeper but hes got the power game eg u19s and a keeper not sure how is keeping is thou

We can only give them a chance to see if they good enough perfect chance against zimbabwe

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asadee View Post
    Well the Cricket Committee will be quizzing Misbah as I am sure Mani and Wasim Khan will too.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Cricket Committee has been responsible for rubber stamping many poor decisions.

Who do they answer to?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sarfaraz and Rizwan as T20 batsman are similar although Rizwan has more potential to improve.

If we talk about power than Azam Khan needs to be part of the conversation.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The Cricket Committee has been responsible for rubber stamping many poor decisions.

Who do they answer to?
    Chairman PCB.........who reports into the Prime-Minister.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sarfaraz and Rizwan as T20 batsman are similar although Rizwan has more potential to improve.

If we talk about power than Azam Khan needs to be part of the conversation.
    Yes but needs to improve his fitness until then shouldn't be considered

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why are they quizzing him over Sarfraz or Haider Ali?

He needs to be quizzed over why Pakistan lost the first Test in that way and generally why players appear defensive.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketfan11 View Post
    Why are they quizzing him over Sarfraz or Haider Ali?

He needs to be quizzed over why Pakistan lost the first Test in that way and generally why players appear defensive.
    Definitely, Sarfraz isn't even the biggest issue.

He should be grilled why he's not picking or attempting to pick a balanced squad? Why is he selecting expired players and kids.

This should also extend to the Australia tour, what was the reason behind behind Imran Khan snr and Musa who were both not suited for this tour?

Why does Asad Shafiq continue to get a free holiday when more deserving players should be given a chance? Why does he always go with a strategy of bowling Yasir into the ground where he eventually ends up getting tonked around?

Why did Pakistan not even compete in any of the games in Australia, why have Pakistan lost a Test series for the first time in England in the last ten years.

The list goes on and on.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    Definitely, Sarfraz isn't even the biggest issue.

He should be grilled why he's not picking or attempting to pick a balanced squad? Why is he selecting expired players and kids.

This should also extend to the Australia tour, what was the reason behind behind Imran Khan snr and Musa who were both not suited for this tour?

Why does Asad Shafiq continue to get a free holiday when more deserving players should be given a chance? Why does he always go with a strategy of bowling Yasir into the ground where he eventually ends up getting tonked around?

Why did Pakistan not even compete in any of the games in Australia, why have Pakistan lost a Test series for the first time in England in the last ten years.

The list goes on and on.
    Very true.

Misbah was never a good choice for the coach.

His tactics are not suited to modern day cricket. He was a successful captain yes but that was because of playing in UAE. His only success was adapting to UAE and utilising that to his advantage which is nothing amazing because Pakistan always had a good record there.

He failed to develop any batsmen. The exception is Babar. Azhar Ali and Shafiq play the 80s and 90s brand of cricket. Modern day cricket is about quick strike rates, taking risks and playing the mental game.

A good leader is not someone who just takes the accolades, he must develop players and instill aggression.

Sarfraz was a better captain than Misbah. Under Misbah Pakistan would have never won the Champions Trophy.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    " Questioning" Misbah is just a face saving act, he should be sacked along with Waseem Khan, who made Misbah the king of Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, all coaching staff should be questioned.

Fast bowlers looked clueless, what is the point of having Waqar who was so skilled and has played so much in England?

Mushy has been involved in coaching for so long, again has plenty of experience in England. It's ridiculous.

This series should be marked as a huge failure for the coaching staff.

The series would have been 2-0 or 3-0 if it hadn't been for the rain.
    Last edited by cricketfan11; 5th September 2020 at 20:06.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah the worst thing ever happened to Pakistan cricket.He should be kicked out as soon as possible that's the only solution.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    485 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ever since Misbah took charge, these things happened:

2-0 win against SL (ODI)
    0-3 loss against SL (T20I)
    1-0 win against SL (Test)
    2-0 win against BD (T20I)
    1-0 win against BD (Test)
    0-2 loss against Australia (T20I)
    0-2 loss against Australia (Test)
    0-1 loss against England (Test)
    1-1 against England (T20I)

So, Pakistan have crushed BD and SL but they were bad against top teams.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweep_shot View Post
    Ever since Misbah took charge, these things happened:

2-0 win against SL (ODI)
    0-3 loss against SL (T20I)
    1-0 win against SL (Test)
    2-0 win against BD (T20I)
    1-0 win against BD (Test)
    0-2 loss against Australia (T20I)
    0-2 loss against Australia (Test)
    0-1 loss against England (Test)
    1-1 against England (T20I)

So, Pakistan have crushed BD and SL but they were bad against top teams.
    Misbah will consider it a win.

Management have a minnow mentality and as fans we might have to accept the same as things are not likely to get better any time soon.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Misbah has tortured us in the 2010s already. Expect the same in the 2020s as well.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Too much, too soon.

Misbah should have been appointed as a head coach of a domestic team in the QeA Trophy, then assess what he did and then think about whether he's good enough to be a national head coach.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketfan11 View Post
    To be honest, all coaching staff should be questioned.

Fast bowlers looked clueless, what is the point of having Waqar who was so skilled and has played so much in England?

Mushy has been involved in coaching for so long, again has plenty of experience in England. It's ridiculous.

This series should be marked as a huge failure for the coaching staff.

The series would have been 2-0 or 3-0 if it hadn't been for the rain.
    Yes agreed all coaches should be questioned on variety of subjects

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has he faced the music yet. What is the outcome. When is he going to be sacked for his poor selections and decisions on the tour.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Too much, too soon.

Misbah should have been appointed as a head coach of a domestic team in the QeA Trophy, then assess what he did and then think about whether he's good enough to be a national head coach.
    He was offered the position of U19 Head coach, which he refused citing media’s unnecessary criticism.

But later on, despite the fact, he knew he would be criticized way more than an U19 coach, he accepted head coach/ chief selector/ batting coach position for bigger paycheck.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As results and selections have shown, appointing Misbah clearly was not the best choice by the PCB. However, in their defence, the only other somewhat relevant applicant at that time was Dean Jones, who wasn't the most experienced coach. (The irony is that Misbah when appointed had no experience). I imagine the PCB had hoped that Misbah would be our own Guardiola (scant experience but accomplished former player).

Also at the time, the perceptions of Pakistan were still such that foreign coaches would not commit to a full time coaching gig in Pakistan, regarding the perceived security situation etc. With the PSL, other teams visiting plus a SENA visit soon InshAllah, Misbah's successor may well be a foreign coach such as a Trevor Bayliss , Tom Moody or even Deano himself could happen.

As regards Misbah facing the music, it's incredibly important that this cricket committee plus Wasim Khan/Ehsan Mani stress the need for younger prospective talents to be tried. In this post covid world, sponsorships are incredibly important, and Misbah's selection of oldies, use of old school tactics and poor results against SENA teams are seriously hurting the PCT brand.
    Last edited by KingOfPakBreakfast; 6th September 2020 at 13:47.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Misbah will be asked to reflect on team’s performance, says PCB chief

Head coach and chief selector Misbah-ul-Haq will have to face some tough questions at his annual appraisal in the wake of team’s poor run in England but it appears he continues to enjoy the trust of the PCB.

In the past 12 months, Pakistan won two Tests and lost three, won two out of three ODIs (one match was rain abandoned) and won three T20Is out of 12 with three washouts.

It lost the recent Test series in England 0-1 and drew the T20 series 1-1.

A few former players felt that Misbah should be relieved of one of the two key positions to lower his burden.

PCB chairman Ehsan Mani said they will discuss the road ahead with Misbah.

“I believe in empowerment and that’s precisely why Misbah was given full authority and support. But he very much remains accountable and as part of his appraisal process, he will be interviewed by the PCB Cricket Committee,” Mani said in an interview to Dawn newspaper.

“He will be asked to reflect on his own and team’s performances, and share his vision for the future.”

Mani also expressed concern that Pakistan team has failed to show signs of improvement.

Pakistan remains at sixth and seventh in ODIs and Tests rankings respectively, but slipped from number-one to fourth in T20Is following the annual ICC update.

“To address this problem and bring consistency in the team’s and players’ performance, the PCB has put in place a professional management team with the men’s side whose understanding of the modern game is second to none and has a clear vision of the steps required for Pakistan to perform well consistently at the international level,” Mani said.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le32536214.ece

Follow PakPassion on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    “To address this problem and bring consistency in the team’s and players’ performance, the PCB has put in place a professional management team with the men’s side whose understanding of the modern game is second to none and has a clear vision of the steps required for Pakistan to perform well consistently at the international level,” Mani said.
    if they're including Misbah in this.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PCB should question themselves for their incompetence in hiring the Axis of incompetence. People totally incapable to perform the roles that they are given. Heck, the incompetent board is unable to perform its own role of selecting the right people for the roles and is no meddling in the affairs of selection.

Should the performance of the team be a concern or should the selection made by Misbah after you have entrusted him with the role?

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kroll View Post
    if they're including Misbah in this.
    Top if off with the specialist in failures Azhar Ali and Waqar Younis.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    As results and selections have shown, appointing Misbah clearly was not the best choice by the PCB. However, in their defence, the only other somewhat relevant applicant at that time was Dean Jones, who wasn't the most experienced coach. (The irony is that Misbah when appointed had no experience). I imagine the PCB had hoped that Misbah would be our own Guardiola (scant experience but accomplished former player).

Also at the time, the perceptions of Pakistan were still such that foreign coaches would not commit to a full time coaching gig in Pakistan, regarding the perceived security situation etc. With the PSL, other teams visiting plus a SENA visit soon InshAllah, Misbah's successor may well be a foreign coach such as a Trevor Bayliss , Tom Moody or even Deano himself could happen.

As regards Misbah facing the music, it's incredibly important that this cricket committee plus Wasim Khan/Ehsan Mani stress the need for younger prospective talents to be tried. In this post covid world, sponsorships are incredibly important, and Misbah's selection of oldies, use of old school tactics and poor results against SENA teams are seriously hurting the PCT brand.
    Scant experience but accomplished former player? Are you taking the mick? Did you just called Misbah accomplished for not being able to score a single century, not being able to groom a leader or groom a youngster, losing mutliple international tournies?
    Last edited by The Viper; 7th September 2020 at 00:24.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    115 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    I'll pay attention when there is meaningful action. For now, this is a incompetent organization trying to find someone to blame

Also, I'm thinking PCB is leaking this information (on purpose) because the public is upset, and they just want to put on a show
    This is literally the best post in this thread.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim View Post
    Scant experience but accomplished former player? Are you taking the mick? Did you just called Misbah accomplished for not being able to score a single century, not being able to groom a leader or groom a youngster, losing mutliple international tournies?
    LOL, don't be surprised, he was advocating for Shafiq before the England tour.
    Last edited by The Viper; 7th September 2020 at 00:25.