Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why do some of the Pakistani ex-cricketers carry a chip on their shoulders?

Shoaib Akhtar, Younis Khan, Javed Miandad, Kamran Akmal (not sure if he has retired), Abdul Razzaq, Faisal Iqbal, etc.

• You see them do self-praise - talk about how they were "legends", "brands", etc.
    • They belittle people around them (have an ax to grind) such as current generation of young cricketers, administrators
    • They say they were wronged by the media, the world..were a victim of circumstances, politics, etc.

I wonder why? Some of them were genuine stars in their times and don't need to repeat that every time, publicly.

Also, is this a common trait in middle-aged Pakistanis or is it specific to these people? I know that there are exceptions such as Ramiz Raja and Wasim Akram.
    Last edited by BreadPakoda; 17th September 2020 at 01:08.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian ex cricketers used to be like that 15 years ago. I think with professionalism things have improved. IPL has got rid of things like senior/junior. Ex cricketers are more respectful when they discuss new players nowadays.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2050 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    They do until they get a job with the PCB and then it all changes.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta sell there brand obviously.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post
    Indian ex cricketers used to be like that 15 years ago. I think with professionalism things have improved. IPL has got rid of things like senior/junior. Ex cricketers are more respectful when they discuss new players nowadays.
    Should we really credit IPL for this?. @Bhaag Viru Bhaag bhai do your thing I guess.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If India has 10-15 years of mediocre cricket in upcoming years, you would see likes of Harbhajan, Sehwag, Gambhir speaking similarly

Check how ex Manchester United players tall on cameras now and blast their current squad/managers

There are other reasons too but this is a basic one and probably most crucial.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humility is not a trait our cricketers excel at. One of the nicest cricketers I ever met was Asif Mujtaba.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post
    I can't remember anybody dissing the team in 2005. Atul Wassan, Ajay Jadeja and Sidhu were the main personas on TV back then and they were usually calm.

Mind you, the 1990s lot don't have a leg on to stand to critique the 2000s cricketers.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I can't remember anybody dissing the team in 2005. Atul Wassan, Ajay Jadeja and Sidhu were the main personas on TV back then and they were usually calm.

Mind you, the 1990s lot don't have a leg on to stand to critique the 2000s cricketers.
    If you would watch replays of Star's coverage of overseas tours in the 90s and early 2000s, you'll find that the biggest critics of the Indian team were Gavaskar and Shastri. More often than not they'd be questioning the courage and technique of the batsmen, or the lack of talent in the bowling attack. That all changed once they became employed formally by the BCCI in 2008.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    If you would watch replays of Star's coverage of overseas tours in the 90s and early 2000s, you'll find that the biggest critics of the Indian team were Gavaskar and Shastri. More often than not they'd be questioning the courage and technique of the batsmen, or the lack of talent in the bowling attack. That all changed once they became employed formally by the BCCI in 2008.
    Interesting. I thought Ravi was always a cheerleader. Never knew about this aspect.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    They do until they get a job with the PCB and then it all changes.
    At times I feel the passion in the outbursts I see on TV shows stems from a strong desire to get noticed by PCB.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Because there were famous for their cricket only, not their conduct.

Not all of Pakistanís ex-cricketers are like this.

Shahid Afridi, Saeed Anwar and Saqlain Mushtaq are all well behaved men.

Every country has people who struggle to conduct themselves. Pakistan is no exception.

Unfortunately, due to a lack of education, most of the bitter ex-cricketers have nothing to do after retirement besides going on social media and spewing rubbish. Obviously in other countries you do not have this problem of education.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Interesting. I thought Ravi was always a cheerleader. Never knew about this aspect.
    There was a great piece on cricinfo by Sharda Ugra a few months ago on Shastri's evolution as a person over the past couple of decades, well worth digging up if you're interested.