Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 168
  1. #1
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    884
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Pakistanis in UAE: If IPL was open to the public, would you attend?

    As the title says, would you attend IPL games if it was open to the public?

    IPL was held in UAE once before and I know that there were Pakistani fans who attended. I'm curious to know what PPers think this time when India-Pakistan relations have gotten worse since then. Maybe some don't care about it and just want to watch some cricket, maybe some just hate the tamasha of IPL or T20s in general, maybe some would never support anything related to India.

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    7,450
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is fifty fifty.

    1)Pakistan have not played in uae since aus series which was held in march 2019 .due to no cricket they might have come to see some cricket .

    2)Due to current relation between 2 countries they might have aviod and also no Pakistani players which would have brought alot of fans to see their stars

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    27,053
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    If there was no corona and I was in Dubai I prolly would have picked one match which had max number of top international stars playing and perhaps attended that. Esp now that pakistan hasnít played in UAE for a while so thereís not as much international quality cricket.

    I think kohliís team has max stars so prolly would involve that.

    Iíve found it very difficult to really Ďfollowí IPL if you get what I mean. For eg if Im in Pakistan and have nothing to do and am bored at home and IPL is on TV Iíll prolly watch an extended passage of play if the players in action are recognizable. However I generally donít know or care to follow whoís where on the table and how they are doing. Thatís generally the case with my circle but perhaps there are Pakistanis who follow it in detail and could tell how different teams are performing.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    36,166
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Maybe key matches or the final but not every game. Even on tv i at most watch highlights, will only watch a key game, semi final or final in depth

  5. #5
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    27,053
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    It is fifty fifty.

    1)Pakistan have not played in uae since aus series which was held in march 2019 .due to no cricket they might have come to see some cricket .

    2)Due to current relation between 2 countries they might have aviod and also no Pakistani players which would have brought alot of fans to see their stars
    For 2) I highly doubt current relations between two countries would be a factor at all in someone deciding whether to attend.

    However no Pakistanis playing most definitely would be a factor in the decision making. Itís like this. In terms of quality of cricket BBL and CPL are definitely lower than IPL and the English t20 league is probably miles behind IPL. However Iíve probably watched more of those than IPL primarily due to the fact that usually there is a Pakistani player in action so naturally you would stop the channel and watch.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    27,053
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    As the title says, would you attend IPL games if it was open to the public?

    IPL was held in UAE once before and I know that there were Pakistani fans who attended. I'm curious to know what PPers think this time when India-Pakistan relations have gotten worse since then. Maybe some don't care about it and just want to watch some cricket, maybe some just hate the tamasha of IPL or T20s in general, maybe some would never support anything related to India.
    Is the IPL this season behind closed doors?

    Iíve heard dubai is open and people going to offices and stuff. Maybe some fans are allowed?

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    884
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Is the IPL this season behind closed doors?
    For now it is. I guess Emirates Cricket Board is hoping they can be allowed 30% capacity over time.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    53,998
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I don't actually lile to watch IPL on stream but i always go to watch a couple of matches live. I don't know about other sports, but cricket is absolutely a different experience while watching live and when you have a chance to see Dale Steyn, Boult running in or Kohli, ABD, Rahul, Warner, level batsmen striking, that's a live experience you wouldn't want to miss as a fan.

    I would go to watch someone like Babar Azam regardless of he's a Pakistan because he's once in a generation level batting talent.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    4,578
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistani fans don't have hate in them. They will fill the stadiums if given chance.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    5,969
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never found the IPL or PSL or any of the T20 leagues remotely interesting.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    12,964
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont watch the IPL and neither am I based in the UAE (visit often though) but will answer anyway.

    Watching cricket in Dubai is a real pain. To get to the stadium is a headache honestly. I also have no interest in the IPL, dont know the teams or care who wins.

    Honestly though if there was some big players in action I'd go and watch from an entertainment POV. Just like going to the cinema I guess.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    4,186
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will go watch one match to see the mahol. No interest in IPL otherwise.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,415
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am based in Dubai and I would not go.

    I just don't like IPL culture - personal preference.

    Nothing against India at all.

    If India were playing Australia for example, I would go check it out.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    898
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Absolutely I would attend... it's quality cricket with the top stars

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    2,254
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I live in Dubai and would never go. Its a league that gives preference to politics over cricket

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    756
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Simply on the basis on how the Pakistani players were snubbed in the second addition, i would not attend. They didn't even add Afridi.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    1,371
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL is the only form of high quality cricket which i won't watch out of principle. I'm not at all patriotic, but i still have moral issues supporting a league that has ended up being so politicised.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,847
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If I was in the UAE and it was open to fans I would definitely watch. Why would you not to watch the best players in the world face each other lol? IPL is easily the best T20 league in the world. Most of the posters who complain about the IPL haven't even watched 5 games of the IPL. I think it is too long but watching the best players in the world face each other is entertaining and there is close games.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    West Ridings
    Runs
    3,647
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    If I was in the UAE and it was open to fans I would definitely watch. Why would you not to watch the best players in the world face each other lol? IPL is easily the best T20 league in the world. Most of the posters who complain about the IPL haven't even watched 5 games of the IPL. I think it is too long but watching the best players in the world face each other is entertaining and there is close games.
    It's all Tamasha... Is it objectively better quality than BBL or T20 Blast ?.

    Shame on Dubai being easily colonised, chasing the dollar when it's not even needed. They could host their own tournament if it needed cricket.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,847
    Mentioned
    457 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritOf1903 View Post
    It's all Tamasha... Is it objectively better quality than BBL or T20 Blast ?.

    Shame on Dubai being easily colonised, chasing the dollar when it's not even needed. They could host their own tournament if it needed cricket.
    I like in the UK and followed nearly every season of the T20 blast and I can tell you the IPL is better. I don't watch much of the BBL but I think even most Australias don't rate the BBL. And the fact Australian home summer of cricket continues when the BBL is on should tell you how important Australian cricket board think it is.

    I don't like the fact the IPL is in Dubai but obviously the BCCI and the franchise are thinking about the financial aspect of things.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    657
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    UAE is not a good place for T20 cricket. Pitches are slow and make for unattractive cricket.

    One of best things that happened to PSL is coming back home. Hope this can continue next year also and we see better batting conditions.

    I think IPL will also suffer from UAE effect. The way covid is it seems that maybe UAE will host again next year also

  22. #22
    Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    3,171
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    I don't actually lile to watch IPL on stream but i always go to watch a couple of matches live. I don't know about other sports, but cricket is absolutely a different experience while watching live and when you have a chance to see Dale Steyn, Boult running in or Kohli, ABD, Rahul, Warner, level batsmen striking, that's a live experience you wouldn't want to miss as a fan.

    I would go to watch someone like Babar Azam regardless of he's a Pakistan because he's once in a generation level batting talent.
    the ball is so small, how do you even see the action sitting in the stands


    Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

  23. #23
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    20,318
    Mentioned
    508 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    the ball is so small, how do you even see the action sitting in the stands
    I get the same feeling. Going to the stadium is exhausting and the experience - TV > Live for me.
    Last edited by MenInG; 19th September 2020 at 13:58.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    3,415
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I get the same feeling. Going to the stadium is exhausting and the experience - TV > Live for me.
    You kidding me?

    Cricket in the stadium is an utterly amazing experience. In good stadiums, which India has many of, you will catch full action.

    Plus you see things you won't notice on TV even in full 4K quality - the most thrilling of which is a fast bowler's run up and the ferocity of a full blooded cover drive. You hear the bat on ball clearly and can tell when it is full on. I was even astonished how the crowd could see a spinner causing problems to the batsmen with his variations - oohing and aahing with each ball.

    Plus the ability to push your team on from the stands - the direct involvement in the action - has its own value.

    And nowadays, If you miss anything, there is the big screen.

    Same with watching tennis, formula 1 or any other sport - being there is a full course meal.
    Last edited by MenInG; 19th September 2020 at 13:58.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    1,170
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Really wish our players were part of the competition. The tournament is only poorer without Pakistani presence. Our guys would add so much flavor and they command good following in India as well.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    12,247
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hypothetically speaking (I donít actually live in the uae) I just donít follow the IPL so donít really care and wouldnít attend. Probably would have gotten into it if Pak players were involved but never did. Always feels like a really long tournament.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    2,322
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I get the same feeling. Going to the stadium is exhausting and the experience - not just the size of the ball falls flat. TV > Live for me.
    I've never been to a T20 match in my life, but whenever I've attended a test it's mentally exhausting as you can't really switch off the same way you can at home in front of the television.

    Attending a match in person is more fulfiling as you get a varied perspective on play, which you can't imagine on tv, but it's not an experience that you can withstand on a weekly basis, for example. Obviously the alternative is to not really care while at the ground and spend the day frolicking about with a book or booze (outside Asia), but as a diehard fan that's not really possible for me.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    1,393
    Mentioned
    610 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to watch a game involving RCB but never in UAE, terrible pitches for T20 cricket.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    2,248
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forward Defensive Push View Post
    The tournament is only poorer without Pakistani presence.
    Hmm....not really.

    Our guys would add so much flavor
    Yes. This I definitely I agree. Not only Pakistani players even Bangladesh players like Mushfiq, Soumya, Liton etc will add a different flavour to the tournament and also tap in their huge audience. Don't know why they don't get picked.

    and they command good following in India as well.
    Babar and Amir are the only Pakistani players who are "popular" to an extent in India. Most casual fans will do well to name even 5 active Pakistani cricketers. No IPL participation, no bilateral tours and a steady decline of the Pak team have done no favours. This is not 2005 anymore when Pak cricketers were household names across the border.
    Last edited by Mesozoic; 19th September 2020 at 13:49.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,977
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any self respecting Pakistani should boycott IPL.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    884
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    Pakistani fans don't have hate in them. They will fill the stadiums if given chance.
    Not everyone is the same.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    17,579
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    m

    Babar and Amir are the only Pakistani players who are "popular" to an extent in India. Most casual fans will do well to name even 5 active Pakistani cricketers. No IPL participation, no bilateral tours and a steady decline of the Pak team have done no favours. This is not 2005 anymore when Pak cricketers were household names across the border.
    To be honest same is the case with Indian players in Pakistan. Virat Kohli is the only name majority of people in Pakistan would know from the current Indian lot, previously it was Dhoni as well. People with mid level interest might know Rohit but majority of current players of India are also unknown commodities among the main population of Pakistan as well.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    13,669
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím not a fan but I would definitely go to one game to see what all the fuss is about..

  34. #34
    Debut
    Dec 2005
    Venue
    Sharjah, U.A.E
    Runs
    15,363
    Mentioned
    166 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Live in the UAE. Regularly see these teams practicing at the ICC Academy.

    Have zero interest, as no Pakistani players involved.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    4,578
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    Not everyone is the same.
    No. If internet has taught me anything it this. Every person identifying as a part of particular group are all the same.

    For example, If you are an IPL fan then you hate test cricket(real cricket). Nothing in between. No gray area.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    2,248
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    To be honest same is the case with Indian players in Pakistan. Virat Kohli is the only name majority of people in Pakistan would know from the current Indian lot, previously it was Dhoni as well. People with mid level interest might know Rohit but majority of current players of India are also unknown commodities among the main population of Pakistan as well.
    Yes. That was my point. No regular bilateral cricket for more than a decade , no Indian players in the PSL ...so no surprises.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    139,185
    Mentioned
    2655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    I think Pakistan cricket fans are interested in IPL as a game of cricket but the question of no Pakistan players in it is a thorny one.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  38. #38
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    884
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Yes. That was my point. No regular bilateral cricket for more than a decade , no Indian players in the PSL ...so no surprises.
    It's the lack of stars. It's not just a Pakistani or Indian thing, it's with every team really. There are very few recognizable players and crowd pullers nowadays. Stark contrast to the 90s and 00s when every team had recognizable players.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    7,371
    Mentioned
    287 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't as have no interest in any T20 league apart from PSL nor have I watched any other T20 league. And even if I had interest in T20 leagues apart from PSL; I wouldn't go and pay money to a league which excludes Pakistanis.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    139,185
    Mentioned
    2655 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakpak View Post
    I wouldn't as have no interest in any T20 league apart from PSL nor have I watched any other T20 league. And even if I had interest in T20 leagues apart from PSL; I wouldn't go and pay money to a league which excludes Pakistanis.
    Fair point and easily understandable.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  41. #41
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    5,090
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would, best players in he world playing why not.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    1,984
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    I think Pakistan cricket fans are interested in IPL as a game of cricket but the question of no Pakistan players in it is a thorny one.
    yep perfectly summed up

    I don't watch it on tv but if it come on there's an easy feeling because there's a lack of representation
    and I watched the first season so its not like I am anti-India or something
    this this uneasy feeling also happens when I am watching some Bollywood but after all the india-pak drama even my family is limiting its Bollywood consumption

    Just sad cause I would love to watch the cricket league but I cant really help this uneasy feeling

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    36,166
    Mentioned
    444 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I remember the first IPL season was passionately watched in Pakistan especially because of the presence of Pakistani players.

    Without Pakistani players, there is no fun in watching most of the useless early games until the semi final and final game

  44. #44
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    1,302
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Fair point and easily understandable.
    If the shoe was on the other foot I canít speak for others but I would do the same. 100% agree with that posters sentiment.

    Personally I see the rationale behind it however the issue is when people kind of overstate the talent and how much better the bowling is greater in the PSL etc.

    Patriotism taking over emotions is fine but having delusions is funny and sad.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    27,053
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post

    Personally I see the rationale behind it however the issue is when people kind of overstate the talent and how much better the bowling is greater in the PSL etc.

    Patriotism taking over emotions is fine but having delusions is funny and sad.
    But itís not just Pakistanis whoíve said that. I havenít watched enough IPL to compare but itís been said even by non Pakistanis

  46. #46
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    4,082
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricFan2012 View Post
    the ball is so small, how do you even see the action sitting in the stands
    I agree with this.

    Also, lot depends on where your seat is. I once went to watch a test match in Mumbai and the sunlight was directly hitting on my face most of the time. Had to cover my face with a newspaper.

    Terrible experience.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    1,302
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    But itís not just Pakistanis whoíve said that. I havenít watched enough IPL to compare but itís been said even by non Pakistanis
    When you say non-Pakistanis I am assuming you mean actual cricketers or ex cricketers right?

    Did they say PSL has better quality cricket than IPL? Can you point me to it? I am genuinely curious as to who said that.

    Letís forget the banter for a second or the criticism of those guys but if a guy who actually has some prospects in the field of cricket left saying that would make him a very very brave man lol.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    984
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since IPL supports American players I would go on to watch it. And plus it has Moin Ali, and Rashid who are both Pakistani ethnicity. Iíll get my Pakistani jazba from them.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    13,669
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Iím not a fan but I would definitely go to one game to see what all the fuss is about..
    I take that back.
    I wouldnít go to a ground to watch it.
    In fact Iím seriously considering cancelling my Sky Subscription too.

    The world has gone crazy.
    Forget the exclusion of Pakistani cricketers..
    What about Indian players not participating in other leagues???

    Goes to show that people will do pretty much anything for money and hence why this league is just a circus

  50. #50
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    88,066
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    For me, the absence of Pakistani players automatically elevates the standard of cricket in IPL.

    With the exception of one or two, Pakistani players are awful and among the worst in the world.

    However, in my opinion, watching cricket in stadiums is an overrated experience. If I was in the UAE and people were allowed to go to the stadiums, I would still watch it on tv like I am now.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    23,157
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    For me, the absence of Pakistani players automatically elevates the standard of cricket in IPL.

    With the exception of one or two, Pakistani players are awful and among the worst in the world.

    However, in my opinion, watching cricket in stadiums is an overrated experience. If I was in the UAE and people were allowed to go to the stadiums, I would still watch it on tv like I am now.
    Excellent post

    IPL is blessed with ATG standard bowlers such as Deepak Chahar, the likes of which Courtney Walsh, Curtley Ambrose, Glen McGrath and Shaun Pollock would be proud of. Pakistani players will just destroy this amazing quality and brand image

  52. #52
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    23,157
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The IPL is blessed with the well mannerisms of the Afghan cricketers who bring class and sophistication to any team. Pakistani villagers have no place in IPL

  53. #53
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    88,066
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Excellent post

    IPL is blessed with ATG standard bowlers such as Deepak Chahar, the likes of which Courtney Walsh, Curtley Ambrose, Glen McGrath and Shaun Pollock would be proud of. Pakistani players will just destroy this amazing quality and brand image
    Pakistani players come under foreign category. They will not be competing with the likes of Deepak Chahar.

    So if Pakistani players are available, CSK would have to choose between Hazlewood and Ngidi and Shaheen and Amir. Similarly, Faheem Ashraf would be competing with Sam Curran.

    This may not be music to your ears, but vast majority of Pakistani players are inferior to their English, Australian, New Zealand, South African counterparts. That is why we lose to these sides the vast majority of times.

    So Pakistani players add nothing to IPL because the franchises have the luxury to pick overseas players from better sides.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    498
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Pakistani players come under foreign category. They will not be competing with the likes of Deepak Chahar.

    So if Pakistani players are available, CSK would have to choose between Hazlewood and Ngidi and Shaheen and Amir. Similarly, Faheem Ashraf would be competing with Sam Curran.

    This may not be music to your ears, but vast majority of Pakistani players are inferior to their English, Australian, New Zealand, South African counterparts. That is why we lose to these sides the vast majority of times.

    So Pakistani players add nothing to IPL because the franchises have the luxury to pick overseas players from better sides.
    totally incorrect. Firstly Shaheen and Amir > Hazlewood and Ngidi in T20's.

    Secondly, the value that players like Shaheen and Babar would bring to the IPL would be remarkable. Just look at how the Somerset fan following has blown up with Pakistanis tuning in to watch their hero bat. One on one clashes like Bumrah v Babar or Shaheen v Rohit will bring serious viewership numbers. There is no doubt about it.

  55. #55
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    13,669
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would like to know how a self respecting Indian can tolerate this?

  56. #56
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    15,091
    Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Personally speaking Pakistani fans should neither watch this league on their TV sets nor attend it in stadium. The reason I am saying this is because some(most) indian fans always supported BCCI in boycotting Pakistan in bilaterals and were always in favour of hurting PCB financially. These same hypocrites are the first ones to switch on their TV sets and break them whenever India loses against Pakistan.

    Save your money and don't help Indian cricket in anyway because this is what our board and fans also do to you.
    Last edited by Bhaag Viru Bhaag; 20th September 2020 at 16:30.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    88,066
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    totally incorrect. Firstly Shaheen and Amir > Hazlewood and Ngidi in T20's.

    Secondly, the value that players like Shaheen and Babar would bring to the IPL would be remarkable. Just look at how the Somerset fan following has blown up with Pakistanis tuning in to watch their hero bat. One on one clashes like Bumrah v Babar or Shaheen v Rohit will bring serious viewership numbers. There is no doubt about it.
    I gave Hazlewood and Ngidiís example because Rana talked about Deepak Chahar. All three play for CSK.

    The vast majority of foreign players are superior to their Pakistani counterparts. Pakistani fans keep overrating their bowling attack but we see it time and time again how mediocre our bowling actually is.

    Also when it comes to batsmen, apart from Babar, none of our batsmen would be preferred over their overseas counterparts, and there are a dozen better T20 batsmen than Babar as well.

    IPL has become a giant and its status is now on par with T20 international cricket without any contribution from Pakistani players. That pretty much sums up the status of Pakistan cricket over the previous decade.

    IPL does not need viewership from bitter Pakistani fans. It is already a bigger brand than Pakistan cricket itself.

    If BCCI cared about Pakistani viewership money, they would have convinced the Indian government to allow bilateral cricket between the two sides. It was a win-win situation - beat Pakistan to a pulp year in year out and also make more money.

  58. #58
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    15,091
    Mentioned
    778 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    I would like to know how a self respecting Indian can tolerate this?
    As long as it is helping India and Indian cricket, he/she can tolerate it.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    13,669
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    As long as it is helping India and Indian cricket, he/she can tolerate it.
    Itís really a sad state of affairs.
    I donít even blame the Indian cricket board.
    How other boards can sell themselves and their players to the IPL and not have it reciprocated by the BCCI is what baffles me.

    Can someone please explain this to me?

  60. #60
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    4,082
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Itís really a sad state of affairs.
    I donít even blame the Indian cricket board.
    How other boards can sell themselves and their players to the IPL and not have it reciprocated by the BCCI is what baffles me.

    Can someone please explain this to me?
    True. Also feel sad about some of the players who BCCI didn't allow getting other gigs. Iím not sure if Uthappa or Yusuf Pathan play IPL or not but Iím sure these guys can get a gig in a foreign league.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    13,669
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    True. Also feel sad about some of the players who BCCI didn't allow getting other gigs. Iím not sure if Uthappa or Yusuf Pathan play IPL or not but Iím sure these guys can get a gig in a foreign league.
    But then I think they may lose their pension?
    I might be wrong..

    Anyway, hopefully someone can answer this because at the moment it seems to be a taboo subject...
    the Commentators (English, Aussie, South Africans etc) never bring this up and it seems no one wants to talk about it

  62. #62
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    3,751
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go if i got free tickets. Not because I want to boycott or something but because in general I barely follow the IPL and have no idea of the teams so paying for it will not make sense.


    "Nations are born in the hearts of poets, they prosper and die in the hands of politicians."-Iqbal

  63. #63
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    884
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    True. Also feel sad about some of the players who BCCI didn't allow getting other gigs. I’m not sure if Uthappa or Yusuf Pathan play IPL or not but I’m sure these guys can get a gig in a foreign league.
    True. IPL brand doesn't hurt with them playing in other leagues. Same with letting younger players who are not in national reckoning play overseas leagues. If they play overseas and they perform well, that will only boost the profile of IPL that even India's lower rung talent are performing well overseas.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    7,018
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    True. Also feel sad about some of the players who BCCI didn't allow getting other gigs. Iím not sure if Uthappa or Yusuf Pathan play IPL or not but Iím sure these guys can get a gig in a foreign league.
    IPl is like NFL in USA. It will survive and generate crazy numbers even without any international stars soon. Brand value of IPL will soon cross international cricket in India 😟

  65. #65
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    4,082
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    But then I think they may lose their pension?
    I might be wrong..

    Anyway, hopefully someone can answer this because at the moment it seems to be a taboo subject...
    the Commentators (English, Aussie, South Africans etc) never bring this up and it seems no one wants to talk about it
    I donít know about pension either but as a cricketer in 30s you just want to get an opportunity to play, to display your passion, have that one final great year.

    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    True. IPL brand doesn't hurt with them playing in other leagues. Same with letting younger players who are not in national reckoning play overseas leagues. If they play overseas and they perform well, that will only boost the profile of IPL that even India's lower rung talent are performing well overseas.
    Can get tricky with young players especially when you canít decide if theyíre in the reckoning or not. But yeah, regardless, it is hypocrisy from BCCI.

  66. #66
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    4,082
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    IPl is like NFL in USA. It will survive and generate crazy numbers even without any international stars soon. Brand value of IPL will soon cross international cricket in India 😟
    Yeah. No one can deny that BCCI/IPL have a huge bargaining power.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    408
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Watched season 1. Remember Pakistani cricketers made a significant contribution--Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, and even Imran Farhat were outstanding. Now I wouldn't watch an IPL game if you bought me a business class ticket to the UAE and paid to put me up in a luxury suite in the Burj hotel. I don't care that the quality of the cricket is supposedly so much better. I am quite happy following the PSL.

  68. #68
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    1,116
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    only ever watched the first edition of ipl , prefer only to watch Pakistan & Pakistani players in the vitality blast

  69. #69
    Debut
    Aug 2006
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    408
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think i would be more interested in watching the upcoming women's T20 series between England and West Indies. And I am not being sarcastic. I think cricket between truly representative teams is much more meaningful. Otherwise it's all mercenary, primarily a question of which franchise has more money. Like most Norrh American sports. I do support the Toronto baseball team for instance but how many in the team are from Toronto or even Canadian?

  70. #70
    Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    1,070
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    For me, the absence of Pakistani players automatically elevates the standard of cricket in IPL.

    With the exception of one or two, Pakistani players are awful and among the worst in the world.

    However, in my opinion, watching cricket in stadiums is an overrated experience. If I was in the UAE and people were allowed to go to the stadiums, I would still watch it on tv like I am now.
    Hmmm i really dont think the ipl would care as long as the pakistani players are bringing in the money which they would.

    Its t20 league cricket no one gives a crap about who is better by a little margin and whos not. Even the worst bowlers and batsmen in international cricket play decent in t20s.

    More and more i read your posts, the more you comeout as a sour person. Who literally only has negative views.

    Some points i do agree with you, but ur just on the opposite of crazy pakistani fans. Like total polar opposite lol.

    This ipl is based on pure entertainment, with the addition of pakistan players there would be more energy in the games its as simple at that.

    These games have no affect on a players legacy.

    And to come back to the ops question, ipl is boring as hell i barely want to watch the semis and finals.

    Any t20 cricket that doesnt affect a players legacy has no meaning in my eyes, so its useless cricket.
    Last edited by The Viper; 21st September 2020 at 01:33.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    33,169
    Mentioned
    1811 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    totally incorrect. Firstly Shaheen and Amir > Hazlewood and Ngidi in T20's.

    Secondly, the value that players like Shaheen and Babar would bring to the IPL would be remarkable. Just look at how the Somerset fan following has blown up with Pakistanis tuning in to watch their hero bat. One on one clashes like Bumrah v Babar or Shaheen v Rohit will bring serious viewership numbers. There is no doubt about it.
    Do you have any idea what are the viewership numbers of IPL are?

  72. #72
    Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    1,302
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Excellent post

    IPL is blessed with ATG standard bowlers such as Deepak Chahar, the likes of which Courtney Walsh, Curtley Ambrose, Glen McGrath and Shaun Pollock would be proud of. Pakistani players will just destroy this amazing quality and brand image
    By the way the last 2 names you mentioned actually did play the IPL. I am sure they will come out of retirement to play PSL but after seeing how Gayle has tarnished his legacy by flopping against amazing PSL bowling they might be scared to damage their reputation bowling to Shehzadís and Shoaib Malikís of the world.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    14,471
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Veteran View Post
    Watched season 1. Remember Pakistani cricketers made a significant contribution--Shahid Afridi, Sohail Tanvir, and even Imran Farhat were outstanding. Now I wouldn't watch an IPL game if you bought me a business class ticket to the UAE and paid to put me up in a luxury suite in the Burj hotel. I don't care that the quality of the cricket is supposedly so much better. I am quite happy following the PSL.
    Imran Farhat played in IPL?

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    14,471
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Any self respecting Pakistani should boycott IPL.
    This. Not sure how any Pakistani can watch the IPL.

    It would be like watching an international tournament that Pakistan is banned from.

  75. #75
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,580
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    This. Not sure how any Pakistani can watch the IPL.

    It would be like watching an international tournament that Pakistan is banned from.
    Exactly. A hostile country bans your countrymen from taking part in their sporting event, and you go to the game to watch it live

    The fact that some here reckon they'd still go is a new low for Pakistan. Unbelievable

  76. #76
    Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    1,580
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    If I was in the UAE and it was open to fans I would definitely watch. Why would you not to watch the best players in the world face each other lol? IPL is easily the best T20 league in the world. Most of the posters who complain about the IPL haven't even watched 5 games of the IPL. I think it is too long but watching the best players in the world face each other is entertaining and there is close games.
    Well, off the top of my, maybe because they've outright banned your country's players from the tournament? And that your purchase of a ticket will directly benefit the same board?

    "You are not allowed to play with us"
    "oh okay but can we watch? We'll even pay!"

    Pathetic.

  77. #77
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    27,053
    Mentioned
    1377 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Local.Dada View Post
    When you say non-Pakistanis I am assuming you mean actual cricketers or ex cricketers right?

    Did they say PSL has better quality cricket than IPL? Can you point me to it? I am genuinely curious as to who said that.

    Letís forget the banter for a second or the criticism of those guys but if a guy who actually has some prospects in the field of cricket left saying that would make him a very very brave man lol.
    From top off my head:

    Wasim Akram said quite a few foreigners who have played both leagues have told this to him. Now you can doubt his credibility but he has always been a big supporter of IPL and in same interview said overall IPL is best league so itís def not a case of patriotic thinking in my book

    Others who I remember are Dean Jones and Alex Hales. You can google

  78. #78
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    88,066
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Pakistani players were banned from IPL because of PCBís own arrogance.

    Prior to the auction of IPL 2009, the Mumbai attacks happened and the Indian government accused Pakistan of masterminding the attack.

    PCB reacted by blocking its players from participating in IPL 2009. This caused a lot of headache for the franchises who had to quickly find replacements.

    12 months later, PCB decided to allow its player to enter the auction for IPL 2010. However, the franchises could not trust PCB any longer because they could back out any moment, and they rightly responded by ignoring Pakistani players in the auction.

    Since then, Pakistani players have been barred from the tournament.

    So Pakistani fans have no one to blame except PCB for the fact that our players are banned from IPL.

    They acted in haste and thought they would sabotage the tournament by blocking its players from participating, a move that backfired in the most spectacular fashion.

  79. #79
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    88,066
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Well, off the top of my, maybe because they've outright banned your country's players from the tournament? And that your purchase of a ticket will directly benefit the same board?

    "You are not allowed to play with us"
    "oh okay but can we watch? We'll even pay!"

    Pathetic.
    How far are you willing to walk down this road?

    If we use the same logic, then no self-respecting Pakistani should live and work in the UAE in the first place.

    The UAE government humiliated Pakistan by rubbishing itís stance on Kashmir, but Pakistanis working and living in the UAE are paying taxes that directly benefit the UAE government.

    So should we call back all our diaspora from the UAE, or is this self-respect drama only limited to IPL and BCCI?

  80. #80
    Debut
    Mar 2018
    Runs
    476
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Pakistani players were banned from IPL because of PCBís own arrogance.

    Prior to the auction of IPL 2009, the Mumbai attacks happened and the Indian government accused Pakistan of masterminding the attack.

    PCB reacted by blocking its players from participating in IPL 2009. This caused a lot of headache for the franchises who had to quickly find replacements.

    12 months later, PCB decided to allow its player to enter the auction for IPL 2010. However, the franchises could not trust PCB any longer because they could back out any moment, and they rightly responded by ignoring Pakistani players in the auction.

    Since then, Pakistani players have been barred from the tournament.

    So Pakistani fans have no one to blame except PCB for the fact that our players are banned from IPL.

    They acted in haste and thought they would sabotage the tournament by blocking its players from participating, a move that backfired in the most spectacular fashion.
    By keep repeating same thing every day, week, month and year don't make it the truth. Keep your repeat mode and hate of Pakistan mode on but it don't make it the truth. You think by repeating things people on here are fools who will believe you. Carry on trying only people who will agree with you are same mentality like yours who just have hate for Pakistan.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •