As Majid Khan turns 74 today, I thought I would start a thread on this wonderful batsman.

Those who remember the golden days of Pakistan cricket will remember Majid Khan as one of the finest players of both pace and spin in world cricket. The amount of time Majid seemed to have at the crease was simply remarkable. Quick hands and light on his feet, he could get himself into excellent positions to play the very fastest bowlers.

The batting line up that Pakistan took to the West Indies in 1977-78 was the best in our history. In the first Test, Pakistan lined up with Majid Khan, Sadiq Mohammad, Haroon Rasheed, Mushtaq Mohammad, Asif Iqbal, Wasim Raja and Imran Khan. All were world class players (with the exception of Haroon Rasheed, although he should not be underestimated. He was a very capable player who should have achieved more at the top level). You can see for yourselves how far we have fallen in recent years when it comes to producing quality cricketers. Since Majid's retirement I don't think we have had an opener who could play pace and spin with such confidence - the closest was Saeed Anwar, who was a fine batsman in his own respect but lacked the tenacity or determination of Majid.

Majid made 88 in the first inns of the First Test at Bridgetown before being bowled by Joel Garner. It remains, in my mind, one of the best innings ever played by a Pakistani opener away from home, in difficult conditions against bowlers of great quality and skill.

If Majid had played in the current era of big bats, flat pitches and average bowling attacks, he would have been scoring runs in his sleep!