Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Misbah-ul-Haq steps down as Chief Selector but will continue in role of Pakistan Head Coach

Misbah to step down from chief selector’s role to focus on coaching

• Accepts PCB’s request to continue till 30 November before a new chair of the selection committee is appointed

• Over the next 24 months, Pakistan will feature in two Asia Cups, ICC T20 World Cup 2021 and 10 FTP series against South Africa, Zimbabwe, England, West Indies, New Zealand, Bangladesh, Australia and Sri Lanka

Lahore, 14 October 2020:

Misbah-ul-Haq has decided to step down from the chief selector’s responsibilities to concentrate and focus on the head coach’s role of the men’s national team. The new chief selector will begin his tenure from 1 December and until then, Misbah will continue to carry out selection responsibilities.

The decision means Misbah will announce the squads for the home series against Zimbabwe on 19 October and then for the away series against New Zealand.

The first assignment of the new chief selector will be to select the squads for the January home series against South Africa, comprising two Tests and three Twenty20 Internationals.

Misbah communicated his decision to PCB Chief Executive Wasim Khan in Islamabad last week during the National T20 Cup.

Commenting on his decision, Misbah-ul-Haq said: “I have thoroughly enjoyed the dual roles but after reviewing the past 12 months and looking ahead at the workload in the next 24 months of my tenure, it is appropriate that I invest and dedicate all my time, energy and attention to one role from now on.

“Coaching is my passion and my ultimate objective remains to contribute to the development of players and help the side achieve bigger successes. When I was appointed last year, I was offered the coaching role first and then given the option to also head the selection committee, which I had graciously accepted.

“I am grateful to the Pakistan Cricket Board for their understanding and for supporting my thought process.

“I had been thinking about the demands and rigours of the dual roles for some time. The meetings with the National High Performance staff and the Cricket Association coaches in the past two weeks have provided me better clarity and helped me in my decision-making as I believe we now have a strong system in place.

“With the new Cricket Association system in full flow, the chief selector has to be able to watch as much domestic cricket as possible. With a big 24 months now coming up, we have mutually agreed that there is a need for me now to be fully focused on one role.

“I look forward to a strong working relationship with the new chair of the selection committee and hope together we will achieve our collective objectives.”

PCB chief executive Wasim Khan said: “The PCB wholeheartedly respects Misbah’s decision on stepping away from the chief selector role. When he took on the national head coach role, we also required him to take on the chief selector’s role due to circumstances at that point in time.

“Pakistan has three global events, including two Asia Cups and the ICC T20 World Cup 2021, as well as 10 Future Tour Programme commitments over the next 24 years. As head coach of the national side, he has reassessed his priorities and believes he has a better chance of producing the desired results by focusing solely on the coaching side. We are very happy to support his thinking on this.

“Over the last two weeks, Misbah has worked closely with the other selectors to finalise the squads for both the upcoming series with Zimbabwe and the New Zealand tour, which will follow in November. We are grateful that this process is near completion, allowing time for the new chief selector to be in post to begin work from 1 December.

“With a new chief selector, we will revisit the selection criteria to ensure that there is complete alignment between the Selection Committee, the High Performance Centre and the national men’s cricket team. With so much red and white-ball cricket ahead, we will need to select squads that have a strong balance between youth and experience”.

Pakistan’s tentative FTP commitments till September 2022:

Oct/Nov 2020 – Home series against Zimbabwe (three ODIs and three T20Is)
    Nov/Dec 2020 – Away series against New Zealand (two Tests and three T20Is)
    Jan/Feb 2021 – Home series against South Africa (two Tests and three T20Is)
    Apr 2021 – Away tour to Zimbabwe (two Tests and three T20Is)
    Jun 2021 – Away tour to England (three ODIs and three T20Is)
    Sep/Oct 2021 – Home series against New Zealand (three ODIs and three T20Is)
    Nov 2021 – Away tour to Bangladesh (two Tests, three T20Is)
    Dec 2021 – Home series against West Indies (three ODIs, three T20Is)
    Feb/Mar 2022 – Home series against Australia (two Tests, three ODIs, three T20Is)
    Jul 2022 – Away tour to Sri Lanka (three Tests, three ODIs)

Global Events

Asia Cup 2021, Sri Lanka (dates TBC)
    ICC T20 World Cup 2021, India (October/November)
    Asia Cup 2022, Pakistan (dates TBC)
    Last edited by MenInG; 14th October 2020 at 15:21.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So who's replacing him ?

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    realy sad news

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Sheer embarrassment for Wasim and Mani. They wasted a year because of the dumb decision of merging the coach and selector roles.

This incompetent and clueless duo cannot be trusted to make sane decisions in the future. However, because they are political appointments, they will not face any accountability.

Misbah had no choice but to resign because it is not possible for one man to withstand all the criticism.

In his last few pressers, he made no bones about the fact that Pakistan is a deeply mediocre team with no capability to beat the top sides in the world.

Thus, the onus is on the fans to lower their expectations rather than expect the team to perform like an elite side.

Now at least there will be someone else to share the blame and face criticism from deluded fans who cannot come to terms with the reality of Pakistan cricket and where we stand today.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who will be our next chief selector then.

I hope its not Shoaib Akhtar....

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Shoaib Akhtar replaces him that would be terrible.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Shoiab Akhtar rumors as CS may come true

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Wasim deserves the promotion.

I will also not be opposed to Shoaib Akhtar. He has a consistent brand of cricket at the very least, and he holds recommendations from Rashid Latif, Mohammad Wasim in high esteem. It will essentially still be Mohammad Wasim calling the shots within the 6-person selection panel.

Big things in the works for Pakistan cricket ó Zimbabwe series will now definitely see some solid picks, and I expect the brand of cricket to continue into New Zealand.

Misbah is actually not a bad coach. All the players and personnel on tour in England have given excellent feedback about Misbah keeping the team together. So far his biggest criticism has come on selections, between Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Mohammad Irfan, Imran Khan, and Sohail Khan, while the selection of Musa Khan came across as premature and Ahsan Ali looked a pick out of desperation.

With selection off his plate, Misbah can focus on leading the team and building a unit out of the players that are given to him. Time will tell whether he can do even this, but I feel this is resignation is a positive step forward and an admission of his own failures in juggling two roles that should have been kept separate from the start.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Akthar will most likely replace Misbah but I want Muhammad Wasim or Rashid Latif to be the CS

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    This is probably a mutual agreement rather than a one-sided resignation. This whole resignation drama is just an attempt by PCB to save face and also to ensure that Misbah walks out of the door with respect.

However, since he has been retained as head coach, the clueless duo imported from the UK need to explain the reasons why Misbah was retained as head coach and not selector.

What were they qualities that they saw in Misbah the coach that they failed to see in Misbah the selector?

We will obviously not get an answer to this. It will be the usual rubbish in fancy British accent of how Misbah decided to resign because he had too much on his plate bla bla.

As I have said multiple times, Misbah is not responsible for the hot mess that has been created over the past 12 months. The entire blame goes to you-know-who.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Mohammad Wasim deserves the promotion.

I will also not be opposed to Shoaib Akhtar. He has a consistent brand of cricket at the very least, and he holds recommendations from Rashid Latif, Mohammad Wasim in high esteem. It will essentially still be Mohammad Wasim calling the shots within the 6-person selection panel.

Big things in the works for Pakistan cricket — Zimbabwe series will now definitely see some solid picks, and I expect the brand of cricket to continue into New Zealand.

Misbah is actually not a bad coach. All the players and personnel on tour in England have given excellent feedback about Misbah keeping the team together. So far his biggest criticism has come on selections, between Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal, Mohammad Irfan, Imran Khan, and Sohail Khan, while the selection of Musa Khan came across as premature and Ahsan Ali looked a pick out of desperation.

With selection off his plate, Misbah can focus on leading the team and building a unit out of the players that are given to him. Time will tell whether he can do even this, but I feel this is resignation is a positive step forward and an admission of his own failures in juggling two roles that should have been kept separate from the start.
    How will wasim become cs when board has already decided a policy against dual roles
    its either shoaib or rashid
    I hope its not someone from the 80s the qasims and ilyas'

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mir jibran View Post
    How will wasim become cs when board has already decided a policy against dual roles
    its either shoaib or rashid
    I hope its not someone from the 80s the qasims and ilyas'
    By promoting him. They will have to replace someone at Northern (though I think he is better suited at Northern).

Hence the win-win scenario is Shoaib or Rashid.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Finally. Some good news.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Sheer embarrassment for Wasim and Mani. They wasted a year because of the dumb decision of merging the coach and selector roles.

This incompetent and clueless duo cannot be trusted to make sane decisions in the future. However, because they are political appointments, they will not face any accountability.

Misbah had no choice but to resign because it is not possible for one man to withstand all the criticism.

In his last few pressers, he made no bones about the fact that Pakistan is a deeply mediocre team with no capability to beat the top sides in the world.

Thus, the onus is on the fans to lower their expectations rather than expect the team to perform like an elite side.

Now at least there will be someone else to share the blame and face criticism from deluded fans who cannot come to terms with the reality of Pakistan cricket and where we stand today.
    I think we will do well in white ball cricket in future due to ever increasing popularity of T20 cricket in Pakistan as PSL brand growth reflected that but yes we will always be a pathetic red ball team. It is only my assesment

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shah_1 View Post
    I think we will do well in white ball cricket in future due to ever increasing popularity of T20 cricket in Pakistan as PSL brand growth reflected that but yes we will always be a pathetic red ball team. It is only my assesment
    We will never catch up to India, England and Australia and New Zealand will always remain steady. They never fly too high or drop too low.

It mostly depends on the future of South African cricket. If they can get things in order, they will continue to be a better side.

I expect Bangladesh to catch up with Pakistan soon if not overtake us. They have already done that a good extent in ODIs and T20Is especially in Asia.

Sri Lanka is also capable of a resurgence. All in all, donít expect Pakistanís standing to change significantly.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We will never catch up to India, England and Australia and New Zealand will always remain steady. They never fly too high or drop too low.

It mostly depends on the future of South African cricket. If they can get things in order, they will continue to be a better side.

I expect Bangladesh to catch up with Pakistan soon if not overtake us. They have already done that a good extent in ODIs and T20Is especially in Asia.

Sri Lanka is also capable of a resurgence. All in all, don’t expect Pakistan’s standing to change significantly.
    Respect your opinion but I see growth in white ball cricket. I'm talking about 5 to 6 years. Red ball is a lost cause, there is no market anymore for this product in Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1325 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    By promoting him. They will have to replace someone at Northern (though I think he is better suited at Northern).

Hence the win-win scenario is Shoaib or Rashid.
    No wasim should stay with northerns for a few more seasons before he is introduced in national coaching set up
    He should be groomed for national team

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    I liked the idea of a dual role as it meant one person would be clearly accountable. Where PCB messed up was hiring Misbah for the position.

Misbah's selection policies have been so erratic and illogical. So this is big news if true.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He’s still the head coach and this is more uninspiring.

Seems like our management is on par or below Bangladesh and Afghanistan atm

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I liked the idea of a dual role as it meant one person would be clearly accountable. Where PCB messed up was hiring Misbah for the position.

Misbah's selection policies have been so erratic and illogical. So this is big news if true.
    I agree with you. It can work out but both the appointment (and the circumstances surrounding it) were very awkward. No way should Misbah have been allowed to have these roles.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bad news for all the Pakistani pensioners out there who just lost hope of national team selection

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

So who takes responsibility when a team loses. It was an excellent move, just the wrong person was chosen. As always happens the CS will blame the Coach and Vice versa.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    Bad news for all the Pakistani pensioners out there who just lost hope of national team selection
    The pensioners have had 10 years, that says its an institutional issue, and not purely a Misbah issue

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big things in the works for Pakistan cricket ó Zimbabwe series will now definitely see some solid picks, and I expect the brand of cricket to continue into New Zealand.

Misbah is still responsible for naming these two squads.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muhammad Akram new man...according to sources

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    So who takes responsibility when a team loses. It was an excellent move, just the wrong person was chosen. As always happens the CS will blame the Coach and Vice versa.
    If it was an excellent move, PCB would have sacked Misbah altogether and handed over the head coach and selector positions to a new candidate.

However, now they are going to appoint a new selector and allow Misbah to continue as coach, which means they are going to revert to the old model because they new model blew in their faces.

Misbah shouldnít be the sole punching bag for the teamís poor performances. Mani and Wasim need to explain the basis for their new model and why they took a U-turn on it after a year of failure.

They created a mess with their poor decision-making and lack of foresight, coupled with the fact that they have no faith and conviction in their so-called revolution which is why they rubbished if after one year.

Absolute shambles.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6791 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    If merging the coach and selector jobs was such a bright idea, we would have seen the likes of BCCI, ECB and CA take that route.

Wasim and Mani fluffed big time because of their desperation to play to the galleries and give the impression that they are thinking out of the box.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How come we dont play SL as often as we used to?

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Akhtar is going to be the new selector?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Someone I know who has insider information said the PM wants Wasim Akram for this role

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The next selector needs to be someone who will watch domestic cricket and has knowledge about it. Misbah was never going to be a good selector as he prefers experienced players and doesn't think outside of the box.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  Screenshot_20201014-121153_Twitter.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  148.8 KB

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Akram definitely has an eye for talent, got to Haider Ali and Tom Banton for Zalmi way before anyone even knew about them.

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So its either
    Mohd Wasim
    Wasim Akram
    Mohd Akram

Sounds like a case of Chinese Whispers lol

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    902 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Poor stuff by misbah. He should had not resigned but allowed to be fired.

Had he been fired, he would had recieved half the salary. By resigning he let that slide

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

I feel the same.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    realy sad news

I was a fan of Misbah the player/captain just as you were but he has been a complete failure in this dual role. Much of this failure can be attributed to his random and illogical selections that left even the most seasoned of Pakistan fans scratching their heads in disbelief.

The team has failed under his coaching scope too but it remains to be seen how he performs when coaching players somebody else selects.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If merging the coach and selector jobs was such a bright idea, we would have seen the likes of BCCI, ECB and CA take that route.

Wasim and Mani fluffed big time because of their desperation to play to the galleries and give the impression that they are thinking out of the box.
    You should keep up your constant criticism of them. They may end up offering you a coaching job like they did with their other critics.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Amazing news! Good on PCB (or whoever pressured him into this) to correct their mistake. Misbah as coach is a dull and uninspired choice, Misbah as chief selector as a disaster which would have haunted PCT for a generation.

Mohammad Akram would be reasonable choice, he's been involved with coaching / selection at the domestic level for almost a decade.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ahh, brilliant. Just couple of more series for the axis of incompetence to get destroyed.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    234 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It was madness to merge both the roles in the first place. They are 2 very different roles with very different attention and skillset required. How does a coach who needs to travel with the team be able to scout for talent?

Not to mention the clear conflict of interest when you are coaching somebody to improve vs trying to hire their replacement

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @Syed1 @moghul

Eid Mubarak

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    727 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Shoaib Akhtar is going to be the new selector?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!
    If not anything, Shoaib will atleast pick bowlers better than the likes of Musa. At this point, anyone would be better than Misbah at that role.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Amazing news to wake up to. We could literally have an average Joe off the street and he would make a better selector than shameless Misbah.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news! I loved Misbah as a caption but his selections were horrible.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Big chance for Mo Akram

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I knew it was coming - it was getting too much for Misbah to carry the duel burden of justifying an average squad. On top of that, it was during that period PAK had to tour Australia, UK .... and NZ coming.

I think, Misbah will resign in future from the Head Coach role as well, or at least he wonít apply for extension for sure; rather heíll move into PCB, in administrative roles.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    I knew it was coming - it was getting too much for Misbah to carry the duel burden of justifying an average squad. On top of that, it was during that period PAK had to tour Australia, UK .... and NZ coming.

I think, Misbah will resign in future from the Head Coach role as well, or at least he won’t apply for extension for sure; rather he’ll move into PCB, in administrative roles.
    I thought you said he would last till 2023?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Madison, Wi ,US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what a news to wakeup with, good decision by PCB to let him go. I hope he and waqar leave the coaching jobs too.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He's been shown the door.

As I said in the other thread, he was given options:

1. Resign as Chief Selector and stay as Head Coach for now.
    2. Don't resign, and you will lose both jobs.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    As head coach - definitely. I actually said during English tour that heíll leave one role, most likely selectors role (as itís less paying job).

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As head coach - definitely. I actually said during English tour that he’ll leave one role, most likely selectors role (as it’s less paying job).

I can see him staying at head coach for a while. PCB will want to give him every chance to prove them right and they like him as a person.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Embarrassment for Misbah, he was given a once in a lifetime opportunity and role with full complete powers to make a difference. He failed to do so and he cannot blame anyone but himself. His career long incompetency and Panoti nature has caught up with him once again.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I can see him staying at head coach for a while. PCB will want to give him every chance to prove them right and they like him as a person.
    He wonít leave a high paying job unless PCB finds another one for him, may be as administrator. However, once his contract is over, the ball wonít be at his court. I am sure the guy has inserted a clause in his contract that if he is sacked prematurely from that lucrative HCís job - some part of his full term has to be paid off (even can be 100%). Here also, donít even think that he resigned taking the responsibility of failed selections - he stepped down to save his moneybag. Despite every bit of respect for him, I never disagreed that the guy is SELFISH & ďDolbazĒ.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He won’t leave a high paying job unless PCB finds another one for him, may be as administrator. However, once his contract is over, the ball won’t be at his court. I am sure the guy has inserted a clause in his contract that if he is sacked prematurely from that lucrative HC’s job - some part of his full term has to be paid off (even can be 100%). Here also, don’t even think that he resigned taking the responsibility of failed selections - he stepped down to save his moneybag. Despite every bit of respect for him, I never disagreed that the guy is SELFISH & “Dolbaz”.
    Yes he is not the gentlemen he portrays. Remember he was on the panel that made the decision to sack Arthur and Misbah was appointed shortly after.

It's clear he isn't the gentlemen that is portrayed.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My dreams of Misbah selecting the 2023 WC squad and getting 43 year old Hafeez as captain are now gone looks like everyone was wrong and he didn't last till 2023. (I think MMHS said he would stay as coach till then though).
    Last edited by HappyWarsFan; 14th October 2020 at 21:09.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    My dreams of Misbah selecting the 2023 WC squad and getting 43 year old Hafeez as captain are now gone looks like everyone was wrong and he didn't last till 2023. (I think MMHS said he would stay as coach till then though).
    I actually said heíll hold on to one spot - most likely HCís but be as itís payment is much higher, trouble is also less.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about his salary, is it half now, can someone please confirm? @Saj :p

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Positive change......good things happening all of a sudden at same time... MashaAllah kisi ki nazar na lage

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually said heíll hold on to one spot - most likely HCís but be as itís payment is much higher, trouble is also less.
    True. He can get away with a lot more as coach and it won't be highlighted.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon - the concept of duel role wasnít a wrong one, in most other sports they do that. Last game at Trafford (after 6-1), the smiles that Jo Mou gave must have put daggers in Woodwardís heart.

The problem was execution - they picked a wrong guy for couple of red hot jobs. The guy didnít have experience, neither qualifications for the HCís job (probably neither) but I believe he was picked for the HCís role for few other reasons - one of them being the disgusting attitude of PAK media & former players against qualified foreign coaches. I am sure PCBís next appointment will be easier and itíll be a foreigner - Mani might be 75+ old man now, but Wasim Khan knows his job; heíll find a qualified pro coach from UK, SAF or AUS/NZ.

You know very well if even Woolmer or Buchanan is put in charge, yet how far this PAK team can go. Misbah has fascination for older players, but net, net 8-9 players will make the XI in any case & there is not much you can do with other 1-2. Just think about MoHa/Malik - I have resigned over MoHa because they guy is earning his meat, Malik & Wahab as well and thatís bitter truth. Therefore, canít put every blame to Misbah (& his employers).

Debut
    Sep 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3712 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    About time. Hopefully someone like Mohammad Wasim takes over!

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    Amazing news! Good on PCB (or whoever pressured him into this) to correct their mistake. Misbah as coach is a dull and uninspired choice, Misbah as chief selector as a disaster which would have haunted PCT for a generation.

Mohammad Akram would be reasonable choice, he's been involved with coaching / selection at the domestic level for almost a decade.
    Very well put.

Not sure exactly what Misbah is going to do as a "head coach"?

Will he monitor how the army of coaches is performing under him?
    Do we even need this position or the team's performance should speak for itself?

Or Misbah the "head coach" is going to coach the army of coaches to coach the team on how play tuk tuk?

This is insane.
    I am just baffled as to what exactly is Imran Khan's obsession with this cunning and greedy individual?

And besides Misbah, I believe Waqar also needs to be kept 100 miles away from the team. I hope Imran Khan realizes this and lets PCB work independently with more autonomy.

It's about time that WK and Mani need to stop act like puppets.
    Matter of fact, Mani is way past retirement. We need a more energetic, proactive and sharp administrative to head PCB.

Even a blind man knows that both Waqar and Misbah have been an absolute disaster in their off the field endeavors with PCB.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    He's been shown the door.

As I said in the other thread, he was given options:

1. Resign as Chief Selector and stay as Head Coach for now.
    2. Don't resign, and you will lose both jobs.
    So his press conference, where he said he was cordial with PCB and voluntarily stepping down, was that untrue?

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good news, should not have been attempted. Big egg on Wasim Khan's face. This is one of those attempts that will make you look like a hero or make you look bad, and more often than not, it's the latter.

Since they are making moves to strengthen the domestic cricket structure...it seems like a wise idea to create a domestic pipeline of coaches too if they can. If it can be done, then eventually PK will not have to go outside Pakistan for coaches, but they need to be coaches and not any former player with a modicum of talent. Coaching and playing are two very different skill sets, that's why you have only a few coaches and many more players.

If the grounds can be fixed to create different conditions across the country (i.e. England like conditions in Punjab, spinner's paradises in Sindh), then you can really unify the team with different players filling different skillsets with enough exposure to know how it's done outside the country. That also let's you know who has the best coaching skills since so much of that development needs to be in domestic cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah should be sacked as a coach as well, along with Waqar.
    The defensive and cowardly attitude of these two would ensure we only win the home series against Zimbabwe. Believe me, we will lose rest of the series that are listed in the OP, if Misbah remains the coach. He hasnt done any good since he took over more than a year ago and team has regressed since then. Expect things to get worse.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    Very well put.

Do we even need this position or the team's performance should speak for itself?

Or Misbah the "head coach" is going to coach the army of coaches to coach the team on how play tuk tuk?

This is insane.
    I am just baffled as to what exactly is Imran Khan's obsession with this cunning and greedy individual?

And besides Misbah, I believe Waqar also needs to be kept 100 miles away from the team. I hope Imran Khan realizes this and lets PCB work independently with more autonomy.

Matter of fact, Mani is way past retirement. We need a more energetic, proactive and sharp administrative to head PCB.

Even a blind man knows that both Waqar and Misbah have been an absolute disaster in their off the field endeavors with PCB.
    How is everything Imran Khan's fault???

He appointed Ehsan Mani as PCB chairman and Mani brought in Wasim Khan who has been calling the shots.

You think IK is sitting down and analyzing every single domestic and international match? Discussing team combinations and strategies???? Even by his own admission BEFORE becoming PM he had zero time for cricket, now that he is PM you think he will have time for frivolous things like cricket????

Ajeeb quam hai. Har cheez IK pe daal do.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    So his press conference, where he said he was cordial with PCB and voluntarily stepping down, was that untrue?
    Its probably a decision taken to keep both parties looking good in the end. He would not say it in public, neither will PCB.

Fact is Misbah was struggling and its best for him.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Misbah insisted that he had not quit as chief selector because of pressure from the board or any quarter. “No it is purely my own personal decision and I took it because I think it is not easy doing two high profile jobs at one time. I want to give my best as head coach of the national team. Whoever is appointed as chief selector, I will fully cooperate with him and work to take the Pakistan team into the top three of every format,” Misbah said.

The former captain also made it clear that his decision had nothing to do with his meeting with Prime Minister Imran Khan last month when he and senior players, Azhar Ali and Muhammad Hafeez, raised the issue of departmental teams being closed down in domestic cricket.

The PCB made it clear it was not happy with Misbah and the two other players going directly to meet the PM to discuss what was a policy decision of the board.

“If that meeting was the reason for my stepping down as chief selector then I think I would have also lost my head coach position,” Misbah said.

PCB chairman Ehsan Mani and CEO Wasim Khan recently met with Misbah and Azhar and gave them a dressing down and cautioned them not to make the mistake of directly seeking meetings with the PM who is also the patron in chief of the board.

'Better to focus on one job'

Misbah said with time one learned whether a decision was right or wrong.

“When I accepted both positions I thought I could manage it but with time I think it is better for me to focus on one job.”

He also said that he was satisfied that in his one year the national team had shown some development and some good young players had been groomed. “As head coach now my focus is that we as a team break into the top three of every format and obviously we also have the ICC World Cups coming up over the next three years so that is something we have to start preparing.”

Misbah was appointed head coach and chief selector after the PCB released Mickey Arthur and his support staff following Pakistan’s failure to make the World Cup semifinals in 2019.

Interestingly, former fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar recently told a YouTube channel that he was in discussions with the board for the chief selector’s position. But the board denied it had offered Shoaib any position and said it was not planning to replace Misbah as chief selector.

https://sportstar.thehindu.com/crick...le32851393.ece

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    realy sad news
    Yes, sad, stepped down only from selectors job, should have been fired from coaching job too, has no qualification for that job also.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With Misbah retaining HC position, could this not cause friction between new and exciting young players and Misbah? Because we know Misbah prefers old poos players and his expired chums from half a decade and over ago.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    Very well put.

This is insane.

I think you may have answered your own question. One of the main roles of a head coach is to actually monitor the performance of the entire coaching staff, practice plans, game tactics and strategies. Do we need the position of a head coach, umm yes we need this role.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    If it was an excellent move, PCB would have sacked Misbah altogether and handed over the head coach and selector positions to a new candidate.

However, now they are going to appoint a new selector and allow Misbah to continue as coach, which means they are going to revert to the old model because they new model blew in their faces.

Misbah shouldnít be the sole punching bag for the teamís poor performances. Mani and Wasim need to explain the basis for their new model and why they took a U-turn on it after a year of failure.

They created a mess with their poor decision-making and lack of foresight, coupled with the fact that they have no faith and conviction in their so-called revolution which is why they rubbished if after one year.

Absolute shambles.
    Can you tell me who will be responsible if we lose. The problem with some people is that any change is seen as a threat. I think the role with one person was a good move but Misbah is not suited to it. Your points are always political but just like the new Domestic structure has bedded down and started to show green shoots, so would have this move.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    Misbah should be sacked as a coach as well, along with Waqar.
    The defensive and cowardly attitude of these two would ensure we only win the home series against Zimbabwe. Believe me, we will lose rest of the series that are listed in the OP, if Misbah remains the coach. He hasnt done any good since he took over more than a year ago and team has regressed since then. Expect things to get worse.
    How many coaches have we had in the last 2 decades, and none make much of a difference. If Misbah was sacked would the team become world beaters, no is the answer. We came close to beating England and should have at least down the series. Misbah is too Conservative with his selections with the likes of Malik, Hafeez, AA and AS still around. He needs to pick younger batsman and let them play. But even if he goes, I don't see any coaches with a magic wand solving our perennial problems.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mamoon has some sort of an alert where anything related even loosely to the PTI triggers a negative post.

Making a so called u-turn is actually what progressive organizations do. The old tactic would have been to double down and refuse to admit the decision didnít work out. Itís recognized as an error, theyíve corrected and learned from it and are moving on.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    945 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh wow, what a pleasant surprise!

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offstump View Post
    Mamoon has some sort of an alert where anything related even loosely to the PTI triggers a negative post.

Making a so called u-turn is actually what progressive organizations do. The old tactic would have been to double down and refuse to admit the decision didn’t work out. It’s recognized as an error, they’ve corrected and learned from it and are moving on.
    Anything positive related to Pakistan triggers it to be honest from him.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    How is everything Imran Khan's fault???

He appointed Ehsan Mani as PCB chairman and Mani brought in Wasim Khan who has been calling the shots.

You think IK is sitting down and analyzing every single domestic and international match? Discussing team combinations and strategies???? Even by his own admission BEFORE becoming PM he had zero time for cricket, now that he is PM you think he will have time for frivolous things like cricket????

Ajeeb quam hai. Har cheez IK pe daal do.

My friends and team here in United States arranged a fund raiser a few months ago and alhamdollillah we collected over US$185,000. This was handed over to IK by our coordinator in Pakistan.

As a kid, I first met IK in 1979 (perhaps before your birth), and then I had the opportunity to work with him during the establishment of Shaukat Khanam Lahore, when they needed to purchase Cyberknife.

Alhamdollilah, I was working at Cyberknife at that time and was able to use some influence to get a pretty darn good deal on the equipment pricing and installation.
    Still have a personal note of Thanks from my skipper.

So no, I am not one of those "jo k hur cheez IK pe daal dow" type.

I fully support IK, but I also know that after all, he is a human being, so he is bound to make mistakes. If he has one flaw, then I have 10.

And my speculation with Misbah is based on what Rashid Latif hinted in his interview where he stated that Misbah has personal support of IK to be hired by PCB.
    And I am baffled, why? Is Mianwali connection this strong? And even it was, IK wouldn't or at least shouldn't, do such high profile hiring without merit.
    Last edited by Colorblind Genius; 15th October 2020 at 02:42.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Imran Khan has to be blamed for this decision. I cannot help but think that the idea of a merger of coach and chief selector came from Imran Khan himself because he has made no qualms of it in his countless interviews that he has done in the past about the same idea. He also used to boast how he was the 'captain, coach and chief selector' of his team and was given full autonomy to do so. Still don't forget his incessant rants about Bob Woolmer when he would go on and on about Bob being an incompetent coach, and that Inzamam is a defensive captain on Geo after we used to lose a game. Then he would come up with the ideas that this is not happening because the chief selector is a yes man to the PCB chairman and Bob doesn't know Pakistan cricket because he is a foreigner. I don't think it was a good idea at all to make Misbah the coach and the chief selector. And I think Misbah is equally culpable of taking this job, because his selections have been pretty shoddy, with getting TTF's back into the side for the umpteenth time to save his face, after his experiments have not worked.