Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 75 of 75
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    139,339
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    Who in your view should be the next Chief Selector for Pakistan?

    Misbah is history now.

    Time to look ahead and ask who can do this job - better.

    My personal opinion, we should one of Mohammad Wasim or Shoaib Akhtar.

    But there are reports that Mohammad Akram may get the nod.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    1,690
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say Wasim but I would like him to stay at northern, get few more years of experience and not be rushed in .

    Mohammad Akram is a good choice for now

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    23,202
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Might as well try Wasim Akram and see what he’s all about as an administrator

  4. #4
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    17,591
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Mohammad Akram is good based upon his selections for PZ in the draft and his overall experience in the domestic structure of Pakistan as well as England.

    I like Mohammad Wasim but, I think he is doing a wonderful job with Northern and player development at that level is really important too. I would like him in some coaching role going forward. However I dont mind either ways if he is made a CS or he remains with Northern.

    Regarding Shoaib Akhtar I think at the moment he would be good as a bowling coach for any region.

    Overall all three are young and can be decent choices so I like the list in general along with the fact that we are moving from the regular musical chair participants for the CS position.
    Last edited by Titan24; 14th October 2020 at 22:00.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    4,748
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    I think Mohammad Akram is good based upon his selections for PZ in the draft and his overall experience in the domestic structure of Pakistan as well as England.

    I like Mohammad Wasim but, I think he is doing a wonderful job with Northern and player development at that level is really important too. I would like him in some coaching role going forward. However I dont mind either ways if he is made a CS or he remains with Northern.

    Regarding Shoaib Akhtar I think at the moment he would be good as a bowling coach for any region.

    Overall all three are young and can be decent choices so I like the list in general along with the fact that we are moving from the regular musical chair participants for the CS position.
    My sentiments exactly. Wasim will definitely make a good selector but the question is where can his talents be used best - thatís in coaching.

    He should be groomed for the national coach position, and take over after Misbah. In the meanwhile, he can continue honing his craft at Northern.

    I think Mohammad Akram is a good solution.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    5,868
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    I think Mohammad Akram is good based upon his selections for PZ in the draft and his overall experience in the domestic structure of Pakistan as well as England.

    I like Mohammad Wasim but, I think he is doing a wonderful job with Northern and player development at that level is really important too. I would like him in some coaching role going forward. However I dont mind either ways if he is made a CS or he remains with Northern.

    Regarding Shoaib Akhtar I think at the moment he would be good as a bowling coach for any region.

    Overall all three are young and can be decent choices so I like the list in general along with the fact that we are moving from the regular musical chair participants for the CS position.
    Agreed. Mohammad Wasim has potential as a coach so should continue in his current role.

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    5,091
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bazid Khan
    Mohammad Waseem
    Mohammad Akram
    Azhar mehmood
    Yasir Arafat

    any one of them, its just a coincidence all of them are from Rawalpindi/Islamabad area.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    1,318
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Misbah is history now.

    Time to look ahead and ask who can do this job - better.

    My personal opinion, we should one of Mohammad Wasim or Shoaib Akhtar.

    But there are reports that Mohammad Akram may get the nod.
    Someone who spends less time on YouTube and mainstream TV channels speaking about "glory days" of the past that weren't so glorious and/or castigating current players and more time watching, studying, analysing and understanding domestic cricket and what talent we have out there and has a vision for what the team should look like in 3 years. As simple as that really. . That will probably cut down the shortlist to a very select few individuals . . . Because its easy to sit and talk . . Ita difficult to do your homework

  9. #9
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    78,101
    Mentioned
    2049 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    On what basis are people mentioning Shoaib Akhtar?



  10. #10
    Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    2,254
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My sources are telling me Wasim Akram

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    4,748
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by asadee View Post
    My sources are telling me Wasim Akram
    I donít know why but feel this would be a horrible decision. He barely watches domestic cricket, is far more preoccupied with acting, hosting these days...

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    36,216
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    On what basis are people mentioning Shoaib Akhtar?
    Out of the box risky solution

  13. #13
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    2,732
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muhammad Wasim
    Faisal Iqbal
    Saqlain Mushtaq

  14. #14
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    23,202
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    I don’t know why but feel this would be a horrible decision. He barely watches domestic cricket, is far more preoccupied with acting, hosting these days...
    It might well be but the guy still could unearth one or two long term players for Pakistan who could play 10-15 years.

    This guy used Shoaib Akhtar, Afridi, Razzaq and Azhar Mahmood in 1999 to reach a World Cup final, whilst Waqar Younis sat out. Clearly he isn’t of the same mindset and vision of the Waqar/Misbah psychology


    "The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    150
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Urooj mumtaz

  16. #16
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Hanover Park
    Runs
    2,590
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    I donít know why but feel this would be a horrible decision. He barely watches domestic cricket, is far more preoccupied with acting, hosting these days...
    Agree, some of us on pp have more knowledge of domestic and under 19 players than he does. Also he has lots of international commitments doubt he will take this mostly local job.

    I would Bazid, Mohammed Wasim, or Mohammed Akram.

    If we really want a former star then I would try Shoaib Akhtar who provides more of a left field option but not sure he will work nicely with Misbah.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    267
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ameemlutfi View Post
    Urooj mumtaz
    Or Sana Mir.

    Both seem to have a mature and very well approach towards the game. I am impressed.
    They seem loyal, intelligent and very well versed.


    Those who are saying Wasim Akram.
    No, absolutely not!

    We don’t want to even offer this to Wasim especially when Wasim himself clearly stated that he doesn’t want these kinda roles with the team - plus his life style and travels hardly leave him any time to thoroughly watch the domestic games.

    What Wasim is good at, and he said himself is a position where he can build the team’s playing strategy. He is potentially a great game strategist because this this something he has learned it firsthand from Imran Khan, and then he practiced it all during his playing years.

    So IMO, Wasim should neither be a coach nor a selector.
    He should be in the dressing room with the team and guide them what to do and how to do it, before, during and after the games. He has a few great tricks up his sleeve and we can surely take advantage of his experiences and knowledge. I hope sanity prevails in PCB.
    Last edited by Colorblind Genius; 15th October 2020 at 02:21.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    TX
    Runs
    636
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't think Wasim Akram will forgo his lucrative contracts to take this role. Any speculations who will take over from Misbah?

  19. #19
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    5,813
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There should not be a chief selector, but a group of selectors and decisions should be reached on consensus. Rashid Latif, Shoiab Akhtar, Saqlain and M Wasim could be a good combo.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Nov 2016
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    249
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aamir Sohail or Rashid Latif both has good reputation........


  21. #21
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    425
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What we need a "Director of Cricket" position like England and South Africa (recently with Smith being appointed) where the DoC heads the selectors (which are the HC's of the associations currently), as well as coordinate long term strategy between the NHPC and the Coaching staffs of the National, 'A'-team, and U-19s. There has never been such a position within the Pakistani set-up and I think would go a long way in setting up and achieving goals.

    As for Mohammad Wasim (Northern, Head Coach), I would want him to continue as the HC of his team for another 2-3 years. I think when Misbah's tenure is up, Wasim should be in strong contention for the national HC job. He has shown that he can back young players and seems to be able to develop them. I don't want the PCB to waste him in a Chief Selector type role.

    Aamir Sohail did a decent job in his tenure, I would interview him. I don't know much about M. Akram but it seems he's done well with Zalmi. Maybe look at the people involved with Multan Sultans. Either way, I hope they open the process to a wider pool. At the end of the day any selector will need tools at his disposal. I read recently that PCB was in search of a better sports database management software. Things like that being digitized properly will be a huge help in making decisions.

  22. #22
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    14,258
    Mentioned
    683 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Anybody who is unbiased.

    @Titan24 would not be a bad choice for CS

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    984
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Gul since heís retired after this tournament.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    440
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saeed Ajmal

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    2,011
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Anybody who is unbiased.

    @Titan24 would not be a bad choice for CS
    we should have a petition to put @Titan24 name forward for CS position

    if Shoaib Akhter is a serious choice than why not @Titan24

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    2,011
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    Or Sana Mir.

    Both seem to have a mature and very well approach towards the game. I am impressed.
    They seem loyal, intelligent and very well versed.


    Those who are saying Wasim Akram.
    No, absolutely not!

    We don’t want to even offer this to Wasim especially when Wasim himself clearly stated that he doesn’t want these kinda roles with the team - plus his life style and travels hardly leave him any time to thoroughly watch the domestic games.

    What Wasim is good at, and he said himself is a position where he can build the team’s playing strategy. He is potentially a great game strategist because this this something he has learned it firsthand from Imran Khan, and then he practiced it all during his playing years.

    So IMO, Wasim should neither be a coach nor a selector.
    He should be in the dressing room with the team and guide them what to do and how to do it, before, during and after the games. He has a few great tricks up his sleeve and we can surely take advantage of his experiences and knowledge. I hope sanity prevails in PCB.
    This is really good option but one con is I feel like she is the female version of

    Mohammad Akram is a perfect choice imo

  27. #27
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    899
    Mentioned
    620 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I'd like a foreigner to be chief selector

  28. #28
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    4,581
    Mentioned
    451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

  29. #29
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    139,339
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Karachi: Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB)’s Chief Executive Wasim Khan said they haven’t finalized any name yet for the chief selector’s post.

    Speaking to PTV Sports, Khan said Misbah informed them about leaving a post due to extra workload. “Misbah’s told us that he is leaving a post to reduce workload,” said the CEO.

    “Yes, we are in talks with Mohammad Akram, but we are also talking with 2 more people about the Chief Selector role,” Khan added upon being asked about the reports stating Akram will be taking up the vacant position.

    It must be noted here that Misbah stepped down as the national team’s chief selector on Wednesday. “I have decided to resign from the role of the chief selector. We have ten important tours coming due to which it will be difficult for me to coordinate and focus on domestic cricket and team selections,” he was quoted saying to reporters.

    https://arysports.tv/no-name-finaliz...st-wasim-khan/


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,988
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Akram loves oldies and won't be much of an upgrade over Misbah.

    Mohammad Wasim is the only decent option and he should be given the dual role of head coach and CS of national team.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    4,748
    Mentioned
    1330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Mohammad Akram loves oldies and won't be much of an upgrade over Misbah.

    Mohammad Wasim is the only decent option and he should be given the dual role of head coach and CS of national team.
    You sure? Zalmi is the only team in PSL 5 that consistently played TWO, not one, emerging players in Haider Ali and Amir Khan.

    Zalmi is the ONLY PSL team with 2 twenty year olds in the Top 3. Not only this, but Akram got to Tom Banton and Haider Ali before any other team knew who they were.

    In their emerging picks, they ALSO picked Aamir Ali, meaning they picked 3 different U-19 players from the latest batch, while most teams picked only one.

    Mohammad Akram right now is in Swat after journeying through Hunza and other northern areas, just to scout young talent.
    Last edited by Thunderbolt14; 15th October 2020 at 13:18.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    139,339
    Mentioned
    2656 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    While speaking on his YouTube channel, Inzamam said the current Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) administration will give preference to someone who has work experience in England.

    “Considering the appointments in the board in the past year, 60 to 70 per cent are those who have either lived in England or worked there in some capacity. I am giving you a hint that the new chief selector would be someone who would have worked for a considerable amount of time in England,” said Inzamam.

    “The board’s Chief Executive [Wasim Khan] trusts people who have spent some time in England. If you look at the new management consisting of ten people, six belong to England,” he added.

    https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...misbah-resigns
    Last edited by MenInG; 15th October 2020 at 13:22.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  33. #33
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    19,867
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Misbah is history now.

    Time to look ahead and ask who can do this job - better.

    My personal opinion, we should one of Mohammad Wasim or Shoaib Akhtar.

    But there are reports that Mohammad Akram may get the nod.
    Shoaib A is a total waste of time and an idiot. Wasim is the only candidate that makes sense as he has seen young batsmen at close quarters.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    3,250
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with Hafeez in dual role as Chief Selector and Captain. One of the few Pakistani cricketers who ooze in class and know a thing or two about being successful.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    19,867
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    While speaking on his YouTube channel, Inzamam said the current Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) administration will give preference to someone who has work experience in England.

    “Considering the appointments in the board in the past year, 60 to 70 per cent are those who have either lived in England or worked there in some capacity. I am giving you a hint that the new chief selector would be someone who would have worked for a considerable amount of time in England,” said Inzamam.

    “The board’s Chief Executive [Wasim Khan] trusts people who have spent some time in England. If you look at the new management consisting of ten people, six belong to England,” he added.

    https://cricketpakistan.com.pk/en/ne...misbah-resigns
    What Inzi means is people that are not vested in the old PK Domestic scene and are open to new ideas.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    Glasgow
    Runs
    617
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe they should go with Shoaib Malik so he retires from international cricket...

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    5,868
    Mentioned
    484 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Rashid Latif believes that ex-fast bowler Mohammad Akram wonít replace Misbah-ul-Haq as chief selector.

    Misbah stepped down from the role on Wednesday, saying that he wants to focus more on being Pakistanís head coach.

    Akram used to be Pakistanís bowling coach and is the Peshawar Zalmiís Director of Cricket during the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

    However, Latif noted that he and Akram are close friends and added that ďwe havenít discussed anything on this topicĒ.

    ďI donít think Mohammad Akram will be appointed as the next chief selector. He is very close to me but we havenít discussed anything on this topic,Ē Latif said in a YouTube video

  38. #38
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    17,591
    Mentioned
    487 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayyman View Post
    Anybody who is unbiased.

    @Titan24 would not be a bad choice for CS
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    we should have a petition to put @Titan24 name forward for CS position

    if Shoaib Akhter is a serious choice than why not @Titan24
    Lol! Thanks guys, I will have my very own CS performance threads on PP then.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    29,040
    Mentioned
    2501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Difficult to find a proper candidate. Modern scouting needs lots of data crunching and information gathering - many good candidates I am not sure if technically capable enough to run softwares in lap top. In a different level, different game but Liverpoolís Michel Edwards has a full team of analysts who collect all sorts of game data, fitness, diet lifestyle....information, injury records..... potential, future market value, commercial value....before even considering for a bid.

    Of all the names here, I donít see one surprising name, who will be my first choice - Younis Khan; the last of PAKís globally recognised great, who had a fantastic work ethics. He had is issues with his team, but guy is a bit loner- can do a fantastic job if he is empowered, because he knows the game.

    Also, by everyday, PAK cricket is becoming too much T20 focused - previously we have seen players to be hyped, picked based on their PSL heroics.... now it is coming down to National T20. This needs to be changed - May be T20I is OK, but for other two formats the CS must have to understand the longer formats & watch players in longer formats as well; which I donít think people like Shoaib or Wasim are going to do dedicatedly. Itís a paid job - give YK the money & back him up; I believe the guy will be an honest trier. He won an ICC event giving responsibility to kids like Amir, Shahzad ..... heíll pick & back younger players, if they are worth.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jul 2007
    Venue
    Dubai
    Runs
    956
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He does not even follow our domestic cricket!

  41. #41
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    767
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes to:

    1. Mohammad Akram: Not a bad choice at all
    2. Mohammad Wasim: Although prefer him at the NCA or in some sort of Coaching role
    3. Aamir Sohail: Although prefer him to be on the Selection Panel and not be Chief.



    No to:

    1. Wasim Akram: Knows nothing about Domestic players
    2. Shoaib Akhtar: Knows nothing about Domestic players and not organised enough to do any scouting and not suited for any role apart from a motivational speaker or giving pep-talks
    3. Rahsid Latif: Too many tantrums and emotional outbursts and a lot of grand claims but nothing to back it up

  42. #42
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    1,031
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abdur Rehman. He follows and understands domestic cricket.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Runs
    425
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Viper View Post
    Former Pakistan wicketkeeper-batsman Rashid Latif believes that ex-fast bowler Mohammad Akram won’t replace Misbah-ul-Haq as chief selector.

    Misbah stepped down from the role on Wednesday, saying that he wants to focus more on being Pakistan’s head coach.

    Akram used to be Pakistan’s bowling coach and is the Peshawar Zalmi’s Director of Cricket during the Pakistan Super League (PSL).

    However, Latif noted that he and Akram are close friends and added that “we haven’t discussed anything on this topic”.

    “I don’t think Mohammad Akram will be appointed as the next chief selector. He is very close to me but we haven’t discussed anything on this topic,” Latif said in a YouTube video
    Oh well great then. M. Akram didn't discuss a potential massive job opportunity with a close friend, therefore he won't get it. Logic from the brilliant mind of Rashid Latif. /s

    Because everyone discusses big job opportunities before they actually get them with their friends.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    267
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Majid Khan View Post
    I would go with Hafeez in dual role as Chief Selector and Captain. One of the few Pakistani cricketers who ooze in class and know a thing or two about being successful.



    Your obsession with Hafeez is amazing.

    Few years ago, I had a chance to meet him in the Caribbean. And I introduced him to my son (who hardly has any idea of cricket) but he was curiously wondering who this person was?
    I said, "This is one of our leading batsman of our national cricket team"

    And Hafeez goes, "Nahi ji, bas kabhi ghuroor nahi kia."

  45. #45
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,626
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Abdul Rehman, Umar Gul, Mohammad Zahid or Kabir Khan could do a good job.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    1,343
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mamoon



  47. #47
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Abdul Rehman, Umar Gul, Mohammad Zahid or Kabir Khan could do a good job.
    What experience have they got ?

  48. #48
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zoeyfactor View Post
    I don't think Wasim Akram will forgo his lucrative contracts to take this role. Any speculations who will take over from Misbah?
    I think muhammed akram,muhammed wasim ,shaoib akhtar can be selected not sure who else

  49. #49
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmadharis1 View Post
    I'd like a foreigner to be chief selector
    Why ?

  50. #50
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenstorm View Post
    Mohammad Akram loves oldies and won't be much of an upgrade over Misbah.

    Mohammad Wasim is the only decent option and he should be given the dual role of head coach and CS of national team.
    Mohammad akram loves odies when and which team with

  51. #51
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The cheif selector should be from Pakistan and has eye for talent and back the youngsters

  52. #52
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    2,259
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmadharis1 View Post
    I'd like a foreigner to be chief selector
    This!
    Because Wasim and all those guys have dosti yaari with current players and Imran Khan, and way too many connections in the set up. It would just be a matter of time before some powerful politician or someone in the set up remind Wasim or any former great of the favour he gave back in days and would want a favour in return. This is the reason why we continue to see some selections which make no sense at all and you wonder how Misbah or Inzi can be this dumb after playing international cricket for more than a decade.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,626
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    What experience have they got ?
    Abdul Rehman(not the spinner) has been working with the domestic cricketers for almost a decade now. Has been a well reputed person in domestic cricket.
    Umar Gul has been toiling in the domestic cricket consistently since 2015. Knows about the domestic guys more than others. Looks to have a good eye for fast bowlers as well.
    Kabir Khan has worked extensively in domestic circuit as well as has coached Afghanistan team. Has been a selector for national team in the past.
    Mohammad Zahid looks to be a decent guy with good analysis about the cricketers. May not know about the domestic guys.

    If you want experienced guys on that post, go for Intikhab Alam, Haroon Rashid, Iqbal Qasim, Salahuddin or Wasim Bari

  54. #54
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Abdul Rehman(not the spinner) has been working with the domestic cricketers for almost a decade now. Has been a well reputed person in domestic cricket.
    Umar Gul has been toiling in the domestic cricket consistently since 2015. Knows about the domestic guys more than others. Looks to have a good eye for fast bowlers as well.
    Kabir Khan has worked extensively in domestic circuit as well as has coached Afghanistan team. Has been a selector for national team in the past.
    Mohammad Zahid looks to be a decent guy with good analysis about the cricketers. May not know about the domestic guys.

    If you want experienced guys on that post, go for Intikhab Alam, Haroon Rashid, Iqbal Qasim, Salahuddin or Wasim Bari
    Umar gull I feel may stick with the older guys maybe wrong thou.i would go with muhammed wasim or muhammed akram

  55. #55
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caved12 View Post
    This!
    Because Wasim and all those guys have dosti yaari with current players and Imran Khan, and way too many connections in the set up. It would just be a matter of time before some powerful politician or someone in the set up remind Wasim or any former great of the favour he gave back in days and would want a favour in return. This is the reason why we continue to see some selections which make no sense at all and you wonder how Misbah or Inzi can be this dumb after playing international cricket for more than a decade.
    The cheif selector needs to know about Pakistan domestic certain and go watch matches and have an eye for talent pluss I dont think any big foreigner will apply unless they are paid the big money

  56. #56
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    2,259
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    The cheif selector needs to know about Pakistan domestic certain and go watch matches and have an eye for talent pluss I dont think any big foreigner will apply unless they are paid the big money
    A foreigner will just need a few months to know what is going on in our domestic set up and will pick up faster than Misbah and Inzi. You think Misbah and Inzi had any idea what was going in our domestic set up before aplplying for a CS job?

  57. #57
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caved12 View Post
    A foreigner will just need a few months to know what is going on in our domestic set up and will pick up faster than Misbah and Inzi. You think Misbah and Inzi had any idea what was going in our domestic set up before aplplying for a CS job?
    Is a foreign willing to come to pakistan for cheif selector position and be paid peanuts.and I didnt want any of them 2 to be cheif selector or coach anywais but I also dont want a foreign as cheif selector

  58. #58
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    2,259
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Is a foreign willing to come to pakistan for cheif selector position and be paid peanuts.and I didnt want any of them 2 to be cheif selector or coach anywais but I also dont want a foreign as cheif selector


    Why not?

    PCB shoud be willing to pay big dollars to bring a foreigner for this job. I never agreed to have a same person as a coach and CS, but wish that this experiment was done with Mickey Arthur as he could have brought better results if he was not a puppet towards the end of his tenure.
    Btw Can you name anyone from Pakistan who has done a decent job as a CS in last 25 years?

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,497
    Mentioned
    2422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Inzamam's comments about time in England need to be analysed.

    Here is what I think.

    The comments that Intikhab Alam made years ago about Pakistan players being "mentally ********" are crude and offensive, but you can see how they actually apply, and they apply to older and more educated type of person involved in sport as well as the obvious people from humble backgrounds.

    Elite ball sports are a young man's game. There are once-in-a-generation exceptions when you have a supremely skilled team like the 1999-2004 Australians, but Pakistan is not in that situation - and even that team started to lose.

    Pakistan is always going to be an international Test and ODI team which requires 7 players aged 21-30 to support 2 overage (30+) players and 1 underage (under 21) player.

    Always.

    Always.

    Always.

    Look at football to see how the 2010 Spain World Champions were eliminated in the First Round at the 2014 World Cup, with the 2014 Germany World Champions eliminated in the First Round at the 2018 World Cup.

    This is where both India and Pakistan show a level of mental disability with their preference for "experience".

    India should have won the 2019 World Cup. They should have won the Test series they lost in England and South Africa in 2018, and in New Zealand in 2019-20.

    The reason why India keeps losing is because they keep picking too many players who have failed these challenges before, and who are now the same players.....but the wrong side of 30.

    And Misbah makes the same mistake - except his players in their 30's never were as good as India's, even when they were in their mid-20's.

    The Indian team should have replaced one or two of the older generation every year, so that they never go into a transition stage. But of course now they have 3/4 of their team at retirement age.

    I don't believe that a conservative Indian or Pakistani can be an effective Chief Selector, because they have too much respect for age and seniority. Their culture handicaps them and makes them incapable of doing that job.

    Even now, there are too many people out there who say "Mohammad Hafeez is a really top T20i batsman".

    They don't say "he's 40 years old tomorrow, and after 311 international innings he really should know how to bat". (Even Viv Richards only played 349 international innings, and KP played 342).

    So Hafeez keeps getting chosen to play in matches in which Abdullah Shafique and Haider Ali should be accumulating experience. It's just disastrous.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caved12 View Post
    Why not?

    PCB shoud be willing to pay big dollars to bring a foreigner for this job. I never agreed to have a same person as a coach and CS, but wish that this experiment was done with Mickey Arthur as he could have brought better results if he was not a puppet towards the end of his tenure.
    Btw Can you name anyone from Pakistan who has done a decent job as a CS in last 25 years?

    Big dollars is what india pay I belive around 80 lakes and I belive misbah only got quarter of that as cheif selector.i didnt mind one person having the responsibility but it was given to the wrong guy.so who are your foreigns who you would like to be cheif selector
    Last edited by The Viper; 16th October 2020 at 06:56.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    2,259
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Big dollars is what india pay I belive around 80 lakes and I belive misbah only got quarter of that as cheif selector.i didnt mind one person having the responsibility but it was given to the wrong guy.so who are your foreigns who you would like to be cheif selector


    I have not put much thought in this and frankly speaking I have no idea.

    I agreed with a post in this thread and gave my reasoning of why local CS won't work and has never worked in the past where as trying something different might produce better results. At least a foreighn coach will try youngsters and give them a proper chance.

  62. #62
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    3,389
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well whoever it is, the no.1 job requirement is that they should be obsessed with domestic cricket, and should watch close to every match/

  63. #63
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,497
    Mentioned
    2422 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I would prefer the Chief Selector to be someone foreign, who coaches in the PSL and watches a small amount of domestic cricket during the QEA season.

    So I would say

    EITHER Andy Flower

    OR Darren Sammy.

    They would be my only two candidates for Chief Selector. And I would offer them $75,000 to visit Pakistan for 4 weeks during the QEA season to watch each team, and to be the year-round Chief Selector.

    And I would give the Chief Selector total control over whom the Test and ODI and T20i captains are.

  64. #64
    Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    4,086
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I would prefer the Chief Selector to be someone foreign, who coaches in the PSL and watches a small amount of domestic cricket during the QEA season.

    So I would say

    EITHER Andy Flower

    OR Darren Sammy.

    They would be my only two candidates for Chief Selector. And I would offer them $75,000 to visit Pakistan for 4 weeks during the QEA season to watch each team, and to be the year-round Chief Selector.

    And I would give the Chief Selector total control over whom the Test and ODI and T20i captains are.
    Sammy is not foreign. He has a Pakistani citizenship.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    3,988
    Mentioned
    737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    You sure? Zalmi is the only team in PSL 5 that consistently played TWO, not one, emerging players in Haider Ali and Amir Khan.

    Zalmi is the ONLY PSL team with 2 twenty year olds in the Top 3. Not only this, but Akram got to Tom Banton and Haider Ali before any other team knew who they were.

    In their emerging picks, they ALSO picked Aamir Ali, meaning they picked 3 different U-19 players from the latest batch, while most teams picked only one.

    Mohammad Akram right now is in Swat after journeying through Hunza and other northern areas, just to scout young talent.
    Zalmi also accommodates the golden oldies of Pakistan cricket Kamran, Hafeez, Malik, Wahab.

    Misbah during his captaincy used to pick the oldest and most useless duds he could find such as Asad Ali, Aizaz Cheema, Tanveer Ahmed etc and Akram as bowling coach had no issues with it.

    I feel like he is not the one who is too keen on changing status co but I hope I am wrong.

    Btw, is he on a vacation trip in Northern areas or is assigned by PCB to scout there ?

  66. #66
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    44,346
    Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Mohammed Sami or Imran Farhat.

    You need a retired legend.

  67. #67
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    5,091
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trickyone View Post
    Saeed Ajmal
    Who, the chucker, who was banned ??

  68. #68
    Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    7,567
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wasim Akram had an eye for talent but he doesnt follow domestic cricket anymore.

    Mohammed Wasim is a good pick as we can see from his northern side where he gives chances to youngsters and they all flourish under him.

    Bazid khan is another good choice who is very reasonable with his selections which we have seen from his commentary sessions and also the guy who follows domestic cricket

    Mohammed Akram - no idea how suitable he would be to this role.

    Also need a bold guy who would drop the dead woods from the team and stick to it. Misbah looks to be that bold person when he dropped malik and hafeez in his first assignment but did blunders by selecting shehzad, umar akmal, sohail khan and imran khan

  69. #69
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    4,683
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should be a foreign enough of the local clowns.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    4,776
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would suggest a n.z coach like stephen fleming.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    33,863
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Someone who watches domestic cricket regularly. Someone who knows how to plan for the future and select a balanced squad for the conditions.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caved12 View Post
    [/B]

    I have not put much thought in this and frankly speaking I have no idea.

    I agreed with a post in this thread and gave my reasoning of why local CS won't work and has never worked in the past where as trying something different might produce better results. At least a foreighn coach will try youngsters and give them a proper chance.

    Bexouse you have no idea does that mean you will pick anyone aslong as hes a foreigner.but a selector is thier to pick the squad not the team that will most likely stil be done by the coach if am correct.even when mickey was in charge he stil picked both hafeez and malik

  73. #73
    Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    2,259
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Bexouse you have no idea does that mean you will pick anyone aslong as hes a foreigner.but a selector is thier to pick the squad not the team that will most likely stil be done by the coach if am correct.even when mickey was in charge he stil picked both hafeez and malik
    I don't think you are getting my point.

    Obviously you will get someone who is good enough to do this job. Mickey never wanted to leave Pakistan and Dean Jones was always happy to be part of PSL teams and do his thing. I am sure if Dean Jones was around, there was a chance that he might accept the CS role as this will further open the doors for him in our PCB set up. Geoff Lawson is another name who we could offer this position to. Again, I am not an expert, and it is PCB's job to find someone if they like this idea.

    Ideally, This role should always go to someone local, but I am sick and tired of a set up where youngsters are never given a proper chance and many careers have been destroyed already.

    Thank you for explaining how coach and selectors work.

    BTW Final 11 is picked by both Coach and Captain and in many cases, Captain has the final say, but how would they pick a team of youngsters when your CS continues to select players like Malik, Hafeez, Shazad, Imran Khan, Iftikhar and Umar Akmal. I hope you get my point now.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    4,789
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caved12 View Post
    I don't think you are getting my point.

    Obviously you will get someone who is good enough to do this job. Mickey never wanted to leave Pakistan and Dean Jones was always happy to be part of PSL teams and do his thing. I am sure if Dean Jones was around, there was a chance that he might accept the CS role as this will further open the doors for him in our PCB set up. Geoff Lawson is another name who we could offer this position to. Again, I am not an expert, and it is PCB's job to find someone if they like this idea.

    Ideally, This role should always go to someone local, but I am sick and tired of a set up where youngsters are never given a proper chance and many careers have been destroyed already.

    Thank you for explaining how coach and selectors work.

    BTW Final 11 is picked by both Coach and Captain and in many cases, Captain has the final say, but how would they pick a team of youngsters when your CS continues to select players like Malik, Hafeez, Shazad, Imran Khan, Iftikhar and Umar Akmal. I hope you get my point now.
    Yes I think if he was given a chance of cheif selector or coach dean Jones would have taken it pluss he has experience in psl which always helps.didnt Mickey continue with malik and hafeez in his team I maybe wrong thou.thats why the dual role was good but wasnt given to the wrong person.i do get your point which are valid and dean jones would have been good as he knows the psl quite well but other than that I dont no anyone else

  75. #75
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    1,118
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone who does not owe favours to anyone in the circuit & ESPECIALLY has not played alongside Hafeez,Malik etc will make a good CS.. just the matter of finding that person , for me it has to be Kabir Khan


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •