Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

POTW : Thunderbolt14

Congratulations to @Thunderbolt14 for an excellent and uplifting post on the future of Pakistan domestic cricket.

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...1#post10914111

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    In addition to the creation of a fielding points system which tracks the team as a whole, which the PCB is currently working on, I believe there is scope for some easy but effective solutions to quickly jumpstart fielding at the domestic level.

We have already seen fielding become more competitive over the course of the tournament, as teams like Sindh and KPK have realized that exceptional fielding is one of the core reasons for Northern being so far ahead of the pack, and have thus followed suit. There is a notably different energy now visible that was not there earlier in the tournament.

We also see that older players are gradually being phased out, especially the less-than-fit ones, and are slowly replaced with performing youngsters from the second XI. What this effectively means is that the PCB has created a self-correcting system which will grow in quality and standard over time.

What is important now is to create further catalysts and incentives to push fielding farther. The easiest of these options is allocating a Rs 5,000 per match award for the fielder of the match. This costs an extremely nominal amount of Rs 120,000 over the course of 24 matches in the tournament. If extended to List A and First Class, the total comes out to be something like Rs 3 lac per season.

A mechanism like this will allow good domestic fielders like Shadab Khan to earn increased sums of money, and onlooking teammates will find motivation to put in their best efforts every match to dive around, take catches, stop boundaries, and effect run outs.

Moving up in the cost-structure, a more expensive option will be the hiring of trained fitness coaches at every region (who will work with the 6 regional High Performance Centers moving forward). Though this has the potential to be expensive, there is a lot of room for innovation and out-of-the-box thinking on behalf of the Pakistan Cricket Board.

One solution is to actually pay no money to fitness coaches at all — rather, if the PCB were to set-up partnerships with renowned gyms and athletic facilities across the country, displaying their logos on the t-shirts of domestic players in exchange for access to their best trainers and facilities, there is the possibility of engineering a win-win scenario. In such a situation, these elite gyms will be provided with free marketing and exposure, while Pakistan domestic players have access to excellent trainers and nutritionists.

The final solution on my cost-structure deals with the inefficiency of fielding coaches. It seems most fielding coaches (even those working with the Pakistan team) resort to a standard set of fielding drills and protocols which unfortunately do not raise the benchmark. There is room for a strict training regime provided by the Pakistan Cricket Board in a top-down approach, where a “Director of Fitness” is appointed to construct strict but fair training regimens (such as 3 laps around the ground every morning). Here, the PCB may also include specialized drills regarding fielding at the boundary (lobbing catches back mid-air) and other fielding situations commonplace in modern cricket.

It would also be good if there is are similar incentives at the national team level, though it is important to grow the culture at the grassroots such that it is commonplace even before someone makes it to the national team. These suggestions are meant to be open to improvement and out-of-the-box thinking, and comments are very much welcomed.

I do see a day where Pakistan fielding is the best in the world. It just requires the right management.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Honored. Thanks so much. I debuted on PP only recently (January 1st in fact) and have grown to love this community quite a bit. As a long-time fan of the Pakistan cricket team, I am always optimistic and looking for areas of improvement, because the kind of passion that our players have, no one else does. We just need professionalism and structure, and sometimes need to think out of the box. And as fans, some of that onus is on us as well. Thanks PP for the spotlight and I hope we can continue an upward trajectory the way we’ve seen structurally over these last few months.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brilliant post.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    787 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    @Thunderbolt14 Congrats for getting POTW and best of luck for getting your bowling action cleared before next PPCL season.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well done to @Thunderbolt14 . His posts are consistently constructive and positive, and he's one of a select group on here, whose opinions I and others put a lot of stock in.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well deserved, congrats! A poster who backs his opinions with decent reasoning.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Venue
    Rotterdam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    982 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Thunderbolt14 great post! Deserved it.

Congratulations bro.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sialkot
    Runs
    Mentioned
    909 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats @Thunderbolt14

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1345 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mueez View Post
    @Thunderbolt14 great post! Deserved it.

Congratulations bro.
    Party to banti hai
    Congratulations @Thunderbolt14

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    congrats bro @Thunderbolt14

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats @Thunderbolt14. I look forward to read your posts.����

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1365 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Thank you everyone for the kind words, means a lot.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    All points in the post are excellent one - All are eminently actionable.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great post. Someone forward it to wasim khan

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations bro. I really appreciate your posts over here.
    Good work!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    92 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations. Really love your posts and your interaction with fellow fans on PP

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Fantastic post yaar @Thunderbolt14!

Well deserved.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!