Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    141,515
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    The Tried & Tested Failure Brigade's unwelcome footprint on the Nat T20 Cup is demeaning its value





    ==

    Let me add to Saj's sentiments above.

    We have younger, untried players crying for a chance to do something yet likes of Tanvir and Asad come in calmly, occupy a slot, produce nothing and then move on - to be selected again for the next game or tournament!

    This cannot be allowed to happen.

    Enough.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    7,571
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sindh is worse team for youngster.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    141,515
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    Sindh is worse team for youngster.
    Add Sarfaraz to that list.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    556
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What do you want?
    An U-23 tournament to replace this tournament?

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    1,137
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salman4. View Post
    What do you want?
    An U-23 tournament to replace this tournament?
    No, but their has to be merit in selection. Okay fair enough Khurram Manzoor performs at this stage and his selection in domestic tournaments seems justified. But what has Asad ever done in these t20 competitions. He is surely a misfit.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    78,563
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Year after year these guys do very little yet keep getting picked and are given chance after chance.

    Coaches, captains and senior players clique.



  7. #7
    Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    29,353
    Mentioned
    2531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    T20 is probably not a bad place for the youth foot-print, hence I don't mind this. In fact, I am liking that they are playing Asad instead of Saud - just one example.

    But, I would like to see PCB arranging the double League version of PAK Cup with 6 teams and 10 games each and there should be a cap - max 3 players over 30, and min 4 players U23 in every game.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    78,563
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Here's one example:

    Asad Shafiq 134 runs in 6 innings at a strike rate of 118. I mean come on, how does he justify selection with these stats.



  9. #9
    Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    1,418
    Mentioned
    629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've said this numerous times on this forum and will say again, such players are found everywhere, in every kind of domestic setup and in every country.

    You'll find similar players in domestics in Australia, England, India, South Africa and so on, basically everywhere. You can't stop this, former or out of favour players will always find a place in a domestic team, doesn't matter how they perform.

    What is possible and must be ensured is that such players don't find a place in the National Team, that can & should be done.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    8,215
    Mentioned
    341 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Here's one example:

    Asad Shafiq 134 runs in 6 innings at a strike rate of 118. I mean come on, how does he justify selection with these stats.
    Azhar Ali would like to have a word with you.


    Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    1,001
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TrentDevil View Post
    What is possible and must be ensured is that such players don't find a place in the National Team, that can & should be done.
    Doesnít make sense to play them in a format they are not suited for. This solidifies even more that they are wasting a spot in these tournaments. Just because other countries do it does not mean we have to follow.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    20,633
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    It proves that the system is not merit based.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    36,322
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    It proves that the system is not merit based.
    Merit I believe will come with time when the system matures. Coaches and Selectors will be forced to make ruthless decisions when their performance comes under the scanner

  14. #14
    Debut
    Apr 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    201
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theyíre necessary to keep the standards of domestic competitions high. Making it to the international level itself is an achievement. Just because they havenít performed there doesnít mean theyíre terrible all of a sudden. You canít expect every cricketer in domestics to be a great player, you need a mix of experienced veterans and youngsters to have a successful system.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    24,721
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sohail khan at number 5

    What’s going on here btw?

  16. #16
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    113
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The more retired players get injected in PCB, the worst it will get for new players to get a spot in even domestic teams.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    36,322
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Has to be a healthy balance of youth and experience

  18. #18
    Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    12,251
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post




    ==

    Let me add to Saj's sentiments above.

    We have younger, untried players crying for a chance to do something yet likes of Tanvir and Asad come in calmly, occupy a slot, produce nothing and then move on - to be selected again for the next game or tournament!

    This cannot be allowed to happen.

    Enough.
    Lol what are you talking about. Sohail Tanvir has been one of the best performers in T20s cricket in the past couple of years.

    Unless you are talking about a different Tanvir or a different sport

  19. #19
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    1,798
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Seeing Asad Shafiq bat anywhere at any level makes me want to throw up.

    Kamran, Manzoor, Tanvir are fine IMO.

    Junaid may still get to play for Pakistan in future.

    Imran Khan and Abbas are doing fine I believe.

    Good that there is no Ahmed Shehzad, Shahzaib Hasan, Mohammad Talha or Rahat Ali there.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    20,220
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    In PK cricket there are too many Panjis, its a pothwari word for mutual back scratching. Misbahs poor performance as far as the batsman are concerned is because of Panjis.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,653
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As i mentioned earlier in a post..kpk will probably win this n with goldies oldies which does not bode well for the future

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    1,471
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    In PK cricket there are too many Panjis, its a pothwari word for mutual back scratching. Misbahs poor performance as far as the batsman are concerned is because of Panjis.
    Yep. Shafiq, Malik and Hafeez have been around the circuit long enough, they know how to get themselves selected in Pakistan and it's got nothing to do with their performances.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    3,515
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Add Sarfaraz to that list.
    He won the psl last year lol

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    141,515
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    He won the psl last year lol


    My point is his own personal form. In that sense he won the champions trophy also but was removed from the side too.

    Someone of that calibre was expected to perform but didn't.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  25. #25
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    78,563
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    There are some who season after season play tournament after tournament with next to nothing to show for their performances.

    But they keep getting picked, which is a disgrace.



  26. #26
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    299
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    There are some who season after season play tournament after tournament with next to nothing to show for their performances.

    But they keep getting picked, which is a disgrace.
    The benefit of this tournament is its coverage. players performances and attitudes are as transparent as ever and enough people would have heard Azhar's flawed reasoning about Asad's inclusion (and by extension, his own in the test team) to ask questions. I'm curious though, are these questions just being asked in this forum now or in the wider public?

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    78,563
    Mentioned
    2065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    The benefit of this tournament is its coverage. players performances and attitudes are as transparent as ever and enough people would have heard Azhar's flawed reasoning about Asad's inclusion (and by extension, his own in the test team) to ask questions. I'm curious though, are these questions just being asked in this forum now or in the wider public?
    Sadly it's a case of this has been the way so why change.

    Until this issue is tackled by PCB hierarchy, nothing will change.

    From my perspective I have contacted Wasim Khan with some stats regarding some of these non-performing old-timers, getting match after match, season after season.



  28. #28
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    2,364
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm utterly miffed how the likes of Hafeez, Malik, and Wahab are selected for KPK. What regional or personal allegiance do they have with that team?

  29. #29
    Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    21,024
    Mentioned
    560 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    I'm utterly miffed how the likes of Hafeez, Malik, and Wahab are selected for KPK. What regional or personal allegiance do they have with that team?
    Hafeez and wahab have both performed. In international T20s as well recently. Hafeez has probably been our second best limited overs batsman over the last few years and Wahab won us the last T20I we played. There are seniors who donít deserve selection but hafeez and wahab are not among them


    Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

  30. #30
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    2,364
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliasad1998 View Post
    Hafeez and wahab have both performed. In international T20s as well recently. Hafeez has probably been our second best limited overs batsman over the last few years and Wahab won us the last T20I we played. There are seniors who don’t deserve selection but hafeez and wahab are not among them
    This is not franchise cricket, they shouldn't be playing for KPK, as there needs to be a semblance of regional integrity in selecting these domestic sides. They are blocking the development pathway for a young provincial player. All three should have been playing for one of the Punjab sides if necessary.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    14,491
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    This is not franchise cricket, they shouldn't be playing for KPK, as there needs to be a semblance of regional integrity in selecting these domestic sides. They are blocking the development pathway for a young provincial player. All three should have been playing for one of the Punjab sides if necessary.
    Players were selected via draft. It has nothing to do with regions.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    4,690
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gotham Cronie View Post
    Players were selected via draft. It has nothing to do with regions.
    So tournament is regional in name only?

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    15,540
    Mentioned
    2435 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    There are some who season after season play tournament after tournament with next to nothing to show for their performances.

    But they keep getting picked, which is a disgrace.
    This Non-Performance Culture goes all the way to the top.

    Here are the numbers from Azhar Ali's last 5 series in Australia, the British Isles and South Africa:

    4, 2, 50, 4, 2, 11
    36, 0, 2, 6, 0, 15
    39, 5, 9, 9
    1, 18, 20, 141*, 31

    These are more like the scores of a Number 9 than a specialist batsman:

    11 Tests
    21 Innings
    1 not out
    402 runs
    1 century
    1 fifty
    15 scores of 20 or less
    AVERAGE 20.10

    If you can become and remain the Test captain when you average 20.10 in your last 11 away Tests, there is something very, very wrong.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    5,689
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post




    ==

    Let me add to Saj's sentiments above.

    We have younger, untried players crying for a chance to do something yet likes of Tanvir and Asad come in calmly, occupy a slot, produce nothing and then move on - to be selected again for the next game or tournament!

    This cannot be allowed to happen.

    Enough.
    What about azam khan Danish aziz hassan khan

  35. #35
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    5,689
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    No, but their has to be merit in selection. Okay fair enough Khurram Manzoor performs at this stage and his selection in domestic tournaments seems justified. But what has Asad ever done in these t20 competitions. He is surely a misfit.
    They had azam Khan Danish aziz and hassan khan

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jun 2006
    Runs
    14,491
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    So tournament is regional in name only?
    Correct

  37. #37
    Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    5,058
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our coach promotes seniority and bias. Our test skipper does the same.

    Impossible to expect any positive change and ground level when the national team selection works on the lottery system. These domestic tournaments are therefore hogged by mediocre veterans unsurprisingly.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •