Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 80 of 97
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    Talent Spotter : Danish Aziz

    A profile of 24 year-old, left-handed batting all-rounder Danish Aziz, who recently made waves in the 2020 National T20 Cup with several impressive performances for Sindh.




    Full name: Danish Aziz

    Born: November 20, 1995, Karachi

    Height: 6 ft

    Major teams: Pakistan Under-19s, Karachi Kings, Quetta Gladiators, Sindh

    Playing role: All-rounder

    Batting style: Left-hand bat

    Bowling style: Slow left-arm orthodox


    Interest in cricket

    My interest in cricket developed due to my brothers playing cricket at a good level. In fact, one of my brothers, Maroof Aziz, has represented PIA in first-class cricket, and watching him play at that level was inspiration enough for me to play this game. I learned a lot from my brothers and also made sure that I did not make the same mistakes they made as they went through their careers. Of course, like all youngsters, I started playing tape ball cricket and then progressed to hard-ball cricket as time wore on. I was also fortunate that along with my brothers, my father was also very supportive of my passion for cricket, and many times, he would even ask me to skip school if it clashed with any of my matches.


    Education has been a priority throughout my cricket career

    It was always a struggle to keep up with studies due to my commitments to cricket, but I didnít give up on my education. I could not attend regular school so have continued my education in private and am currently enrolled in a Masters of Health and Physical Education program at Karachi University.


    Special thanks to the Memon community in Karachi

    It would be absolutely remiss of me to not mention and thank the Memon community in Karachi who have provided moral and financial help to me during my formative years in cricket. I would not be where I am today without their help and I am proud to be a member of this community.


    First-class debut in 2014 for Karachi Dolphins

    I had been part of the Pakistan Under-19s squad which played against Afghanistan in 2014 and was about to be part of the Under-19 tour of Kenya, with an eye towards the Under-19 World Cup in 2016. However, I was told that I would be overage for the Under-19 World Cup so instead of taking part in the tour of Kenya, I was asked to play in a first-class game for Karachi Dolphins which happened to be the last match of the season, and that allowed me to make my debut at that level.


    The aim is to become a genuine all-rounder but to bat well is my priority

    It would be great if I could be considered a genuine all-rounder but I am a little worried that concentrating on my bowling could affect my batting, which is my first priority. In last yearís domestic season, I had a total of 25 wickets to my name whilst playing for 2nd XIs in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy and the National T20 Cup but my batting was suffering and I was seeing even the wicket-keeper being sent in before I could bat in a match. So, the idea is to concentrate on batting and become a dependable batsman, and where possible and if needed, also help out with bowling.


    Unsatisfactory performances in domestic cricket until 2020

    Itís difficult to put a finger on why I could not perform that well for the last few years in domestic cricket but that could be because I was asked to bat too late in the batting order which didnít give me much of a chance to perform. But there was also an issue with my attitude as I was very careless where I would get out taking unnecessary risks which did affect my average too. But all that changed for me this year as I felt that I was a much more mature cricketer. This allowed me to take the match to the last ball instead of losing patience just because a high run rate was needed and then playing a rash shot after a rush of blood. There was a belief in me this year that even if there were 10-15 runs needed in the final over, I had the skills to achieve that target and there was no need to panic. This change in mindset has made the difference.


    Confidence-boosting performances at the National T20 Cup in 2020

    This was an amazing experience for me to be in the same Sindh team as some top names of our national cricket side. Of course, being new to the first XI side, there was a matter of gaining trust from our team management and to be honest, it did take time and I wasnít played in a few games or sent in late towards the end of the innings in the matches I did play. I was, however, lucky that I had some good advice from the seniors which allowed me to build my confidence which ended up in that match-winning performance of 59* against Central Punjab. But the innings which I enjoyed most was the 72* which was against the eventual tournament winners, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa. I recall telling Anwar Ali to make sure he didnít give his wicket away as I felt we could win that game which we did eventually. With such confidence-boosting performances under my belt, I continued to do well for Sindh until our participation ended in the semi-final.


    Missing the crowd in the National T20 Cup

    Playing in a tense game and with no crowd present was a strange feeling. In fact, at times in evening games, you could hear crickets chirping away very loudly during the innings which was very disconcerting. As a batsman, you probably donít mind the absence of crowds as they generally support the bowler who is running in to bowl but for the sake of the game in general, one hopes that the grounds will be alive with sounds of raucous crowds as soon as conditions allow.


    Not disappointed about missing out on selection for the limited-overs series against Zimbabwe

    Whilst many felt that I had a chance of representing Pakistan in the home series against Zimbabwe, my view was that this series came a little too soon as far as my career is concerned. Ideally, I would like to perform well a few more times before making a debut for Pakistan. This is because if I did get a chance to play for my country, I would be better equipped to establish myself and not play in a few matches and then disappear from the scene, as we have seen in the case of a few players in the past.


    Consider myself ideal for the finisher role

    There is something very satisfying in chasing a target and then making sure that I take the team over the line to win the game. So, I am very happy to play in the side as a finisher and hopefully, my recent performances in the National T20 Cup have shown that I am capable of taking on this role. This is also the role I would like to take on whenever I am given a chance to represent Pakistan.


    Yuvraj Singh as my role model

    I always look to the former Indian all-rounder Yuvraj Singh as my role model. I admire his style of stroke-play and really like his balance and technique. Itís not just his batting but I also try and copy his style of bowling as well.


    Aspirations to represent Pakistan A with the Shaheens

    I am currently involved in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy for 2nd XIs so I am concentrating on making sure that I can put in some solid performances but looking ahead, I have my eyes firmly on a place in the Pakistan A side which is expected to tour New Zealand later this year. All my energies now will be aimed at that short-term goal and even though no one in the team management has spoken to me about this tour, I am hoping that I will get a chance to be part of that tour.


    Looking at Pakistan Super League (PSL) as a pathway to represent Pakistan

    I have been part of the Karachi Kings and Quetta Gladiators squads in previous editions of the PSL but could never get a proper opportunity to showcase my talent. This year, based upon my performances at the National T20 Cup, I am hoping that I will get the sort of exposure that will allow my name to be noticed more and that could be a pathway for my chance to represent Pakistan. Of course, every young cricketer has a dream of playing for their country but I know that all these things will happen at the right time and I need to work hard and wait patiently for my opportunity.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    8,704
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Love the interview. And love the attitude.
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Not disappointed about missing out on selection for the limited-overs series against Zimbabwe

    Whilst many felt that I had a chance of representing Pakistan in the home series against Zimbabwe, my view was that this series came a little too soon as far as my career is concerned. Ideally, I would like to perform well a few more times before making a debut for Pakistan. This is because if I did get a chance to play for my country, I would be better equipped to establish myself and not play in a few matches and then disappear from the scene, as we have seen in the case of a few players in the past.


    Consider myself ideal for the finisher role

    There is something very satisfying in chasing a target and then making sure that I take the team over the line to win the game. So, I am very happy to play in the side as a finisher and hopefully, my recent performances in the National T20 Cup have shown that I am capable of taking on this role. This is also the role I would like to take on whenever I am given a chance to represent Pakistan.


    Yuvraj Singh as my role model

    I always look to the former Indian all-rounder Yuvraj Singh as my role model. I admire his style of stroke-play and really like his balance and technique. Itís not just his batting but I also try and copy his style of bowling as well.


    Aspirations to represent Pakistan A with the Shaheens

    I am currently involved in the Quaid-e-Azam Trophy for 2nd XIs so I am concentrating on making sure that I can put in some solid performances but looking ahead, I have my eyes firmly on a place in the Pakistan A side which is expected to tour New Zealand later this year. All my energies now will be aimed at that short-term goal and even though no one in the team management has spoken to me about this tour, I am hoping that I will get a chance to be part of that tour.


    Looking at Pakistan Super League (PSL) as a pathway to represent Pakistan

    I have been part of the Karachi Kings and Quetta Gladiators squads in previous editions of the PSL but could never get a proper opportunity to showcase my talent. This year, based upon my performances at the National T20 Cup, I am hoping that I will get the sort of exposure that will allow my name to be noticed more and that could be a pathway for my chance to represent Pakistan. Of course, every young cricketer has a dream of playing for their country but I know that all these things will happen at the right time and I need to work hard and wait patiently for my opportunity.
    This is exactly right - should be given a longer rope to find himself before he is fast tracked to international cricket. He understands it as well and doesnít show and disappointment which is the most important thing. Too many cricketers blame everyone but themselves - if he can replicate these performances, there is a place for him waiting.

    Also, Yuvi is an amazing role model to have. One of my favorite players.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    503
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, he is doing masters while he is playing professional cricket. He should have been in the team instead of all the pendus we have in the team ( I hope one of the criteria to select a player in PCT team is academic achievement as well)

  4. #4
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Runs
    4,345
    Mentioned
    502 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A positive mindset displayed here. Hopefully, he will be able to improve further and display his talent.


    Azaadi. InshAllah.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    21,013
    Mentioned
    539 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressive interview manifesting a good attitude and overall mindset.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Really liked his answer about not being selected for the Zimbabwe series. Shows great maturity.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  7. #7
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    1,058
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Impressed with his maturity and positive responses - especially when talking about 2XI cricket.

    I would have liked to see him instead of Abid Ali in the squad to play Zimbabwe.

    Lets hope he gets his chance soon.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Hanover Park
    Runs
    2,676
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems to have a very mature head. 10x better in responses than an akmal or some of the others we have seen in the past.

    hopefully continues hard work and can make it through the system.

    can't believe they didn't even select him for first xi in sind.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mon858 View Post
    Seems to have a very mature head. 10x better in responses than an akmal or some of the others we have seen in the past.

    hopefully continues hard work and can make it through the system.

    can't believe they didn't even select him for first xi in sind.
    I am sure he will be promoted to first XI if he continues to do well

    He has scored 46 for Sindh in the ongoing 2nd XI QeA tournament.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  10. #10
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    22,217
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    He needs to play FC and be given a very long rope.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    6,789
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Really impressive and humble attitude. You do get players who want everything given to them and who refuse to admit their flaws, but Danish is happy to acknowledge his flaws. His mindset is refreshing, he just needs to put in more performances in upcoming tournaments to impress the selectors.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    6,477
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    An educated cricketer whose responses don't reek of entitlement? Amazing

  13. #13
    Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    44,982
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If PCB didn't have systemic racism against Karachi cricketers this lad would have been in the side against Zimbabwe.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    If PCB didn't have systemic racism against Karachi cricketers this lad would have been in the side against Zimbabwe.
    If you read his own words, he doesn't want to be in the Pakistan series vs Zimbabwe.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  15. #15
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    553
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    If PCB didn't have systemic racism against Karachi cricketers this lad would have been in the side against Zimbabwe.
    Asad Shafiq says Hi. Furthermore look at his overall stats in FC LA

  16. #16
    Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    1,212
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only all the the upcoming cricketers had the same attitude Pakistani cricket would go up a level or 2

  17. #17
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    81,836
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Excellent attitude and it's good that he's taking his education seriously too.

    His career seems to be on the up.

    Should make the Shaheens squad for NZ.



  18. #18
    Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    1,633
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even beofre reading the interview, I was pretty sure Yuvraj Singh would be his role model because his batting style definitely seemed influenced by Singh.

  19. #19
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    1,416
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope he dominates in FC and List A matches because right now, he looks like he might just be a T20 specialist only.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Danish Aziz took 2-31 for Sindh vs Northern in 2nd XI 3rd Round game


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Danish Aziz took 2-31 for Sindh vs Northern in 2nd XI 3rd Round game
    Danish Aziz 55 today for Sindh.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  22. #22
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Danish Aziz 55 today for Sindh.
    And 45 off 63 today for Sindh but in a losing cause.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  23. #23
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Needs to keep on working hard and hopefully not get carried away by the hype about himself!


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  24. #24
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Well done to Danish, included in Pakistan squad for New Zealand


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  25. #25
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    8,849
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great news that Danish is included in the New Zealand squad hopefully he performs

  26. #26
    Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    3,688
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  27. #27
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    8,849
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SensiblePakFan View Post
    Good squad overall baring saud shakeel

  28. #28
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Sindh beat Northern by seven wickets at the State Bank Stadium

    Northern 186 all out, 44.2 overs (Asif Ali 66, Sohail Tanvir 49; Danish Aziz 3-23, Mir Hamza 3-36)


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  29. #29
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    8,704
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Sindh beat Northern by seven wickets at the State Bank Stadium

    Northern 186 all out, 44.2 overs (Asif Ali 66, Sohail Tanvir 49; Danish Aziz 3-23, Mir Hamza 3-36)
    All 3 wickets were from the tail I believe. Still, good to see him handy.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    37,660
    Mentioned
    3531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    This guy might just be the answer to our #6 in LOIs. Clutch player. Can bowl too and has age on his side.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    4,264
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Square Drive View Post
    This guy might just be the answer to our #6 in LOIs. Clutch player. Can bowl too and has age on his side.
    Very impressive knock under pressure. Finished the match today just like in T20 Cup from a tough situation. Hes a must for white ball and i feel Muhammad Wasim will pick him. Hes mighty impressive and ice cool under pressure. @Thunderbolt14 best finisher we have???

  32. #32
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    8,523
    Mentioned
    380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Clutched it once again. Needs to be given a long rope in LOIs for Pakistan.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't watched his innings, but he managed to bring his side over the line, that's impressive.

    Also, how is his catching? Please tell me he is a decent catcher and a decent fielder.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Jul 2009
    Runs
    770
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He needs to be tried in the white ball given he has age on his side but knowing Pakistan he will be selected when he is about 30....

  35. #35
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    15,253
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He can be a long term replacement for Haris Sohail, who is a gun player in ODI's.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    591
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    He can be a long term replacement for Haris Sohail, who is a gun player in ODI's.
    I dare say Danish would actually be an upgrade.

  37. #37
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    467
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I watched his innings in bits. Credit to him for seeing his team through to victory. A few notes:

    1) He has a tendency to start very slowly. Kept hitting the ball to the fielders early on. That in turn put a lot of pressure of Azam Khan, who ended up giving his wicket away coming down the track because Danish was struggling at the other end.

    2) He also had a couple of scares early on because of strike rotation issues as well. He knicked one off a SLAO bowler, albeit a very tough chance for KPK's young keeper Mohammad Haris. He also almost skied a lofted drive, coming down the wicket, in the cover region. All because of his issues with getting off strike. If I was Younus/Yousuf/Basit I would work on his ability to manoeuvre the ball around when he first comes in.

    3) He had similar issues with the Shaheens, in that he starts slow and then picks up. The two t20 Shaheens games he played, he had to either hold back because wickets fell all around him or he got out slogging to get a fast start.

    4) He's similar to Khushdil in that he's a lefty who takes a bit of time to get going, but then makes up the strike rate as he goes along. He's less destructive than Khushdil but has a larger variety of shots and a much better temperament. His pkay straight down the ground is what really stands out.

    All the above sounds negative, however I've been very very impressed by his temperament. I think if the national team coached can fine tune his initial strike rotation issues, then he definitively can be a Pakistan team prospect. HOWEVER, I don't think he's a T20 finisher, unless he finds another gear. In fact, he's the ideal ODI No.5. InshAllah I hope improves leaps and bounds from here on in.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    22,217
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    I watched his innings in bits. Credit to him for seeing his team through to victory. A few notes:

    1) He has a tendency to start very slowly. Kept hitting the ball to the fielders early on. That in turn put a lot of pressure of Azam Khan, who ended up giving his wicket away coming down the track because Danish was struggling at the other end.

    2) He also had a couple of scares early on because of strike rotation issues as well. He knicked one off a SLAO bowler, albeit a very tough chance for KPK's young keeper Mohammad Haris. He also almost skied a lofted drive, coming down the wicket, in the cover region. All because of his issues with getting off strike. If I was Younus/Yousuf/Basit I would work on his ability to manoeuvre the ball around when he first comes in.

    3) He had similar issues with the Shaheens, in that he starts slow and then picks up. The two t20 Shaheens games he played, he had to either hold back because wickets fell all around him or he got out slogging to get a fast start.

    4) He's similar to Khushdil in that he's a lefty who takes a bit of time to get going, but then makes up the strike rate as he goes along. He's less destructive than Khushdil but has a larger variety of shots and a much better temperament. His pkay straight down the ground is what really stands out.

    All the above sounds negative, however I've been very very impressed by his temperament. I think if the national team coached can fine tune his initial strike rotation issues, then he definitively can be a Pakistan team prospect. HOWEVER, I don't think he's a T20 finisher, unless he finds another gear. In fact, he's the ideal ODI No.5. InshAllah I hope improves leaps and bounds from here on in.
    His strike rotation is really poor and he won't be able to catch up against the better teams.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    8,704
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ataullah View Post
    Very impressive knock under pressure. Finished the match today just like in T20 Cup from a tough situation. Hes a must for white ball and i feel Muhammad Wasim will pick him. Hes mighty impressive and ice cool under pressure. @Thunderbolt14 best finisher we have???
    Easily the best Dhoni or Bevan (or Misbah ) style finisher in Pakistan.

    Has a list A average of 33 at a SR of 86 or something, but that increases to something like average of 300 at a SR of 95 in successful chases across both T20s and List As.

    Temperament wise, heís the best we have. Still not completely sold on how good his actual batting is though. A very street smart cricketer but I want to see more in the PSL.

  40. #40
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    467
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    His strike rotation is really poor and he won't be able to catch up against the better teams.
    Just because his strike rotation starts off as poor as of now, doesn't mean it can't be improved upon. Dedicated coaching, Time in the nets and confidence can InshAllah absolutely fix that.

    We have to remember that not all players come out of domestic as polished diamonds. This lad has calmness, mental toughness and hitting ability, which isn't a common trait. He needs to be backed and developed.

  41. #41
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    467
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Easily the best Dhoni or Bevan (or Misbah ) style finisher in Pakistan.

    Has a list A average of 33 at a SR of 86 or something, but that increases to something like average of 300 at a SR of 95 in successful chases across both T20s and List As.

    Temperament wise, heís the best we have. Still not completely sold on how good his actual batting is though. A very street smart cricketer but I want to see more in the PSL.
    He currently struggles with playing real pace. However, with confidence and through dedicated coaching InshAllah he can surely improve.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    1,569
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Easily the best Dhoni or Bevan (or Misbah ) style finisher in Pakistan.

    Has a list A average of 33 at a SR of 86 or something, but that increases to something like average of 300 at a SR of 95 in successful chases across both T20s and List As.

    Temperament wise, he’s the best we have. Still not completely sold on how good his actual batting is though. A very street smart cricketer but I want to see more in the PSL.
    Agreed, his performances in the PSL will matter a lot.

    I really hope KK give him a few games to show what he's made of.

    They also picked up Zeeshan Malik, so we'll have to see which one gets more games.

    If I were making a KK team, I'd go with:

    Babar Azam
    Sharjeel Khan
    Zeeshan Malik
    Colin Ingram
    Joe Clarke
    Danish Aziz
    Mohammad Nabi
    Imad Wasim
    Amir Yamin
    Mohammad Amir
    Arshad Iqbal

    That would give Danish and Zeeshan enough chances to show what they can do.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Apr 2016
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    5,125
    Mentioned
    331 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He’s better than Khushdil Shah.

    Although as others have pointed out I don’t think he’ll survive at the international level until his strike rotation improves.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    44
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pathetic First class and List A averages. He was hyped and promoted by Karachiites as a power-hitter after that single-performance in national t-20 in which he battered highly-ineffective slow medium-pace version of Iftikhar Ahmed in an over. I would have been impressed if that performance was against Shaheen Shah Afridi. Like for that Abdullah Shafiq, there was also campaign on social media for his inclusion in the national team against New Zealand. In my opinion he would have badly failed like Abdullah Shafiq if he was given chance. He has to prove a lot.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    624
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    I watched his innings in bits. Credit to him for seeing his team through to victory. A few notes:

    1) He has a tendency to start very slowly. Kept hitting the ball to the fielders early on. That in turn put a lot of pressure of Azam Khan, who ended up giving his wicket away coming down the track because Danish was struggling at the other end.

    2) He also had a couple of scares early on because of strike rotation issues as well. He knicked one off a SLAO bowler, albeit a very tough chance for KPK's young keeper Mohammad Haris. He also almost skied a lofted drive, coming down the wicket, in the cover region. All because of his issues with getting off strike. If I was Younus/Yousuf/Basit I would work on his ability to manoeuvre the ball around when he first comes in.

    3) He had similar issues with the Shaheens, in that he starts slow and then picks up. The two t20 Shaheens games he played, he had to either hold back because wickets fell all around him or he got out slogging to get a fast start.

    4) He's similar to Khushdil in that he's a lefty who takes a bit of time to get going, but then makes up the strike rate as he goes along. He's less destructive than Khushdil but has a larger variety of shots and a much better temperament. His pkay straight down the ground is what really stands out.

    All the above sounds negative, however I've been very very impressed by his temperament. I think if the national team coached can fine tune his initial strike rotation issues, then he definitively can be a Pakistan team prospect. HOWEVER, I don't think he's a T20 finisher, unless he finds another gear. In fact, he's the ideal ODI No.5. InshAllah I hope improves leaps and bounds from here on in.
    I watched the whole match and Azam's dismissal was purely on Azam himself. He had already collected 2 sixes off the previous over. They were chasing a below par target and sixes every over weren't even needed. Azam has yet to develop the temperament for longer format batting. He played across the line as well.

    After his dismissal, Hassan Khan came to the crease, played sensibly and they chased the target down comfortably. Danish was slow at the start but only because they were 4 wickets down early in the chase. He paced his innings perfectly. Yes, he does have room to improve his rotation of the strike but it wasn't as dire that it caused Azam's dismissal.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    624
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Kaleem View Post
    Pathetic First class and List A averages. He was hyped and promoted by Karachiites as a power-hitter after that single-performance in national t-20 in which he battered highly-ineffective slow medium-pace version of Iftikhar Ahmed in an over. I would have been impressed if that performance was against Shaheen Shah Afridi. Like for that Abdullah Shafiq, there was also campaign on social media for his inclusion in the national team against New Zealand. In my opinion he would have badly failed like Abdullah Shafiq if he was given chance. He has to prove a lot.
    That you say after he makes a match-winning century. wonder what would have been said had he failed. What an insufferable fanbase.

  47. #47
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    467
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KoyoAli View Post
    I watched the whole match and Azam's dismissal was purely on Azam himself. He had already collected 2 sixes off the previous over. They were chasing a below par target and sixes every over weren't even needed. Azam has yet to develop the temperament for longer format batting. He played across the line as well.

    After his dismissal, Hassan Khan came to the crease, played sensibly and they chased the target down comfortably. Danish was slow at the start but only because they were 4 wickets down early in the chase. He paced his innings perfectly. Yes, he does have room to improve his rotation of the strike but it wasn't as dire that it caused Azam's dismissal.
    I'm willing to grant you your point on Azam. I feel Azam still hasn't gained that understanding and assuredness of when to go, in a longer format than t20.

    As regards Danish, I still hold my point on his strike rotation. If you recall, his two early rash shots (the nick and the lofted shot that landed in no man's land) were prompted by his on frustrations in getting tied up.

    I personally don't think it's permanent weakness though. He has enough of an offside and straight game to build on, to alleviate his strike rotation issues. Plus, if he works with Younis Khan, he can learn how to play the sweep proficiently as well.

    InshAllah I think he's definitely a bright prospect who should be on and around the ODI and Shaheens team for the next 12 months. It's important though that his shortcomings are worked on by the coaching staff, because they 'll be picked up on by opposing teams rather quickly.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    37,660
    Mentioned
    3531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Easily the best Dhoni or Bevan (or Misbah ) style finisher in Pakistan.

    Has a list A average of 33 at a SR of 86 or something, but that increases to something like average of 300 at a SR of 95 in successful chases across both T20s and List As.

    Temperament wise, he’s the best we have. Still not completely sold on how good his actual batting is though. A very street smart cricketer but I want to see more in the PSL.
    Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Kaleem View Post
    Pathetic First class and List A averages. He was hyped and promoted by Karachiites as a power-hitter after that single-performance in national t-20 in which he battered highly-ineffective slow medium-pace version of Iftikhar Ahmed in an over. I would have been impressed if that performance was against Shaheen Shah Afridi. Like for that Abdullah Shafiq, there was also campaign on social media for his inclusion in the national team against New Zealand. In my opinion he would have badly failed like Abdullah Shafiq if he was given chance. He has to prove a lot.
    FYI guys, his LA average is up to 39.41 after yesterday's knock.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    8,849
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An upgrade on Khushdil can hit both sides of the wicket and his temperament is top notch maybe after the psl he can be brought into pakistan set up.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    2,156
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    An upgrade on Khushdil can hit both sides of the wicket and his temperament is top notch maybe after the psl he can be brought into pakistan set up.
    No he isn't Khushdil is going long way i bet he will play 15 year for Pakistan.

    Danish aziz can't hit anything over 128-130 you can check his performance in New Zealand so far he has hit sixes of iftikhaar bowling fast in death overs. I'm not saying he isn't good but need atleast 2 seasons of FC to refine his technique.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    8,849
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b.lesner View Post
    No he isn't Khushdil is going long way i bet he will play 15 year for Pakistan.

    Danish aziz can't hit anything over 128-130 you can check his performance in New Zealand so far he has hit sixes of iftikhaar bowling fast in death overs. I'm not saying he isn't good but need atleast 2 seasons of FC to refine his technique.
    Khushdil needs to improve on his offside game he hits everything on the legside even thou he failed in new zealand he should be given a few more opportunities.

    Danish may have struggled in new zeland but so did khushdil.

    Danish has showen more he has better temprement and can play both sides of the wicket he needs to play all the remaining games in the pakistan cup and he has to play in the psl to come into contention.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Hemel/Coventry
    Runs
    15,253
    Mentioned
    266 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Salman4. View Post
    I dare say Danish would actually be an upgrade.
    Let's not jump the gun. Haris is one of the best ODI players we have had in the last 10 years.

  53. #53
    Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    467
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Let's not jump the gun. Haris is one of the best ODI players we have had in the last 10 years.
    A fit and in-form Haris Sohail is comfortably Pakistan's second most best ODI batsmen. However, a fit Haris Sohail is possibly a thing of the the past.

    I believe his fitness is mainly a medical impediment, i.e. his surgically repaired knee. This stops him from training with any prolonged intensity, it seems. It shows in his inability to play long innings at the highest level, take quick singles and play with intensity. There *may* also be a lack of effort on his part, to make behavioural changes that will make hime more fit.

    Comparatively Danish is, ability wise, half the player Haris is. However, he has one thing that I don't see in any other Pakistani batsmen barring maybe Shoaib Malik. And that is an ice cool temperament in pressure situations. He also has enough of an all round game that can get more refined through more focussed coaching. So whilst he may not have Haris Sohail's natural ability, he can, through coaching and being played in the right position, become more effective than Haris.

    He just needs to play every Shaheens game he can, be selected in ODI squads consistently (even if not played) and worked on consistently by Younis. There's definitely a player there.

  54. #54
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    591
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hadi123 View Post
    Let's not jump the gun. Haris is one of the best ODI players we have had in the last 10 years.
    At this time, where Haris terribly out of shape and form, would Danish (who is been in the form of his life) not be an upgrade?

  55. #55
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    591
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    A fit and in-form Haris Sohail is comfortably Pakistan's second most best ODI batsmen. However, a fit Haris Sohail is possibly a thing of the the past.
    An in-form Haris Sohail too.
    We all know he's got talent, but so has Ukmal.

  56. #56
    Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    12,021
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I know its just been in domestic so far, but still his ability to keep his cool and composure and win games from pressure situations is very refreshing and very un-Pakistani.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    6,362
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How did he make the cut to the T20 team with a strike rate of just 84 in the Pakistan Cup? There were at least a dozen batsmen who were striking better than him. Or am I missing something?

  58. #58
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    6,084
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazza619 View Post
    How did he make the cut to the T20 team with a strike rate of just 84 in the Pakistan Cup? There were at least a dozen batsmen who were striking better than him. Or am I missing something?
    That's because he played a couple of innings under pressure and saw the team through. His T20 SR however is 138 though and he helped Sindh win from very improbable situations in the latest National T20. More importantly he keeps calm and strikes the ball cleanly.

  59. #59
    Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    6,362
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    That's because no he played a couple of innings under pressure and saw the team through. His T20 SR however is 138 though and he helped Sindh win from very improbable situations in the latest National T20. More importantly he keeps calm and strikes the ball cleanly.
    Ok fair enough. I guess stats dont always tell the full picture. Thanks for clarifying.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    8,704
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He had 2 good knocks in the national T20 cup. Iím not a huge fan of him to be very honest, but thereís a gaping hole in our T20 team for those middle order spots and no one is really stepping up to the challenge except maybe Iftikhar Ahmed.

    Khushdil has severe off side issues, so we must look to the likes of Asif Ali, Azam Khan, and Danish Aziz now.

  61. #61
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    8,849
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the squad was based around 15 then he proberly wouldnt have got picked but due to the squad being 20 he got picked i dont expect him to play the first 2 games

  62. #62
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    1,301
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish he plays... wat i really love about him is tht he takes the games towards the end...

    something we have been missing since Inzi and Razzaq.... they both knew exactly when to hit the peddal hard....

    good luck to him .. would love to see him cement the spot

  63. #63
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Would like to see him debut tomorrow but chances are low.

    Problem is Pakistan think tank probably thinking why change a winning combo but the fact is that we nearly lost the game so changes are needed.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  64. #64
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    196
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Would like to see him debut tomorrow but chances are low.

    Problem is Pakistan think tank probably thinking why change a winning combo but the fact is that we nearly lost the game so changes are needed.
    Yeah, I donít see him debuting tomorrow. Maybe in the third game. Either way, hoping he has a strong PSL and forces his way into the team for the next series, in South Africa.

  65. #65
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    7,011
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Danish Aziz averaged 73.33 in the National T20 Cup last year, scoring at an S/R of 155. Great young talent in this format especially, a home series vs a very weak SA team is the perfect series to bed him into international cricket.

    Instead, Hussain Talat, who is playing the wrong format, Khushdil Shah, who has failed badly so far, and 50 year-old Ifti chacha are all selected ahead of him. When else are you going to play Danish if not here?


    Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

  66. #66
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    7,011
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not preferred over Asif Ali today unfortunately.


    Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

  67. #67
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    81,836
    Mentioned
    2157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    So they picked Hussain Talat in all 3 matches and they never gave this lad a chance.

    What a waste of an opportunity.



  68. #68
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)



    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  69. #69
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,863
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its about who knows you more. Misbah knows Talat, Ifti, Asif and Khusdil. Danish is a newcomer, nobody knows him. It makes sense that Misbah went with players he knows. Next game he may try Danish since others failed.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    7,011
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In this format he really cannot be worse than Ifti, Khushdil, Talat. No way


    Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

  71. #71
    Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    12,602
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He has played some clutch innings in Pak domestic. Plays proper cricket shots. Very good timer so is able to hit them for sixes.

    For Pakistani standards he could have been a decent option in the middle order. Would have been another good pick by M Wasim.

    Unfortunately Misbah preferred the Islamabad United guys.


    "You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

  72. #72
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,863
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    In this format he really cannot be worse than Ifti, Khushdil, Talat. No way
    May be, may be not. Mansoor Akhtar had the best batting technique ever of a Pakistani batsman. But he failed big time on international stage. You never know.

  73. #73
    Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    7,011
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    May be, may be not. Mansoor Akhtar had the best batting technique ever of a Pakistani batsman. But he failed big time on international stage. You never know.
    You never know until you try. We've tried with Khushdil and Ifti so we know.


    Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

  74. #74
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,863
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    You never know until you try. We've tried with Khushdil and Ifti so we know.
    Misbah must have seen him in nets and most likely he did not impress Misbah so much to be consider as a never miss talent and forces Misbah to select him right away. 19-20 ka farq hoga otherwise no coach want to select a vastly inferior batsman who will cost coach a game.

  75. #75
    Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    22,217
    Mentioned
    562 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Let's hope the lad does well when he gets his chance. He deserves at 4 or 5 games to show what he can do.

  76. #76
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    1,561
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he is more of an odi batsman and should play in that format at 5-6

  77. #77
    Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    1,416
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    41.80 AVG 138.41 SR in T20's but isn't given a single game despite the batting being completely terrible. Unsurprisingly from this terrible PCB staff who didn't give a single game to either Kamran or Saud in the Test matches either.

    Hussain Talat has played a whopping 93 innings and has a 31.80 AVG and 125.08 SR. He played in all 3 games and did absolutely nothing. No idea why he is being persisted with.

  78. #78
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,243
    Mentioned
    2801 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Misbah on Danish:

    "Danish was very close to being selected for this game today; Our only concern was that this was an important match and it would have been unfair if we had played him in such a pressure game; He is an excellent player and gives us an option of spin as well; We are really looking forward to giving him a chance in the future; Today he was close to selection but we were hesitant to make wholesale changes to the middle order and because it was a pressure game, we gave Hussain Talat another chance"


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  79. #79
    Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    196
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Misbah on Danish:

    "Danish was very close to being selected for this game today; Our only concern was that this was an important match and it would have been unfair if we had played him in such a pressure game; He is an excellent player and gives us an option of spin as well; We are really looking forward to giving him a chance in the future; Today he was close to selection but we were hesitant to make wholesale changes to the middle order and because it was a pressure game, we gave Hussain Talat another chance"
    ďBut weíll make sure we debut him in the next series in South Africa against the likes of Rabada and Nortje in their home conditionsĒ.

  80. #80
    Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    6,504
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have seen him bat few years ago and that point In time he was absolutely horrible with the bat , let's hope he has improved dramatically from those days.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •