Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

ECB should break the global silence on Pakistan's sad and strange IPL exile

Last week, the England and Wales Cricket Board announced it is in the process of organising the first official England tour of Pakistan in 15 years. This is, self‑evidently, the right thing to do. Since England’s last visit in 2005-06, Pakistan have toured this country eight times for various tournaments and series. From the ECB’s perspective, their decision to brave the pandemic and send a team this summer may well have proven the difference between financial ruin and mere recession.

And so naturally the decision to consider the possibility of maybe, potentially, exploring the idea of touring Pakistan for a very short Twenty20 series in early 2021 – subject to all the usual security and logistical caveats – has been spun in many quarters as an act of supreme munificence. Yet if England are genuinely keen on extending the hand of solidarity to Pakistani cricket, then there is something else it could do. It could politely but pointedly use its voice at next month’s International Cricket Council board meeting to ask why Pakistani players continue to be excluded from the world’s biggest cricket tournament.

Yes, the Indian Premier League, currently unfolding behind closed doors in the United Arab Emirates: a competition that likes to think of itself as the sport’s ultimate meritocracy, its global melting pot, a place blind to heritage or tradition. The cricketing embodiment of Martin Luther King’s vision, in which your four little children will be judged not on the colour of their passport but on their ability to execute their skills in an elite performance environment.

Of the 20 countries represented in the IPL in the past decade – including Nepal, the Netherlands and the US – Pakistan remains frozen out, ghosted since the inaugural season in 2008. (Azhar Mahmood, the sole exception, was technically a British citizen.) We all know why. Or at least we think we do. It’s something to do with security. Or politics. It just hasn’t really been explained, or even properly talked about, in about a decade.

Which, when you think about it, is pretty weird. Very few of the practical justifications for excluding Pakistani players hold even the slightest water. This is a competition that has managed to relocate its entire apparatus halfway around the world at a moment’s notice, creating a whole chain of rigid, biosecure bubbles across the Gulf. They could probably find a way of keeping Shaheen Afridi safe if they really wanted to.

In reality, this is a decision driven largely by ideology, nationalism and geopolitics: the dressing room as proxy battlefield, the auction as theatre of war. So here we are: an IPL in the adopted home of Pakistani cricket, without any Pakistanis in it. And not by rule or decree, but simply by convention: it has always been and thus will it always be.

There are two points to make about all this. The first is that this is how power operates in its purest and most devastating form: unspoken and unexamined, implicit and invisible. You don’t ask. You just know. This, more than any amount of ICC politicking or revenue-grabbing, is the best way of understanding India’s influence over world cricket.

The second is that even if you set the principle of the thing to one side, this is so clearly a self-defeating arrangement. Imagine how much richer a spectacle the IPL would have been with the participation of Umar Gul or Shahid Afridi or Mohammad Amir, how much their expertise could have enriched others.

This is a sadness that works in two directions: the experience not accumulated, the wealth not earned, the lives not transformed. Indeed, one of the more remarkable footnotes of T20 history is the way so many Pakistanis have managed to bestride the format without the benefit of its pre-eminent tournament: the equivalent of an elite footballer unable to test themselves in the Champions League. Pakistani bowlers make up five of the 13 highest wicket-takers in T20 history. The Pakistan Super League has gradually managed to build itself into one of the world’s leading competitions. All this while effectively being placed under sanctions.

You might ask what all this has to do with England. After all, there are many valid criticisms of the ECB chief executive, Tom Harrison, but a failure to broker a peaceful solution in Jammu and Kashmir is not one of them. At the very least, though, this is the sort of issue that deserves to be raised, not buried; discussed, not dissolved; that should be part of any conversation on the future of the sport and how its leading nations deal with each other.

Because if cricket’s past decade was defined by the question of wealth and how to share it, its next decade will surely be about borders and how to define them. In a world of walls and bubbles, the very concept of international cricket is being imperilled before our eyes. This is, and perhaps has always been, a deeply fragile ecosystem: a loosely strung web of temporary alliances and fleeting friendships, a world based on reciprocity and mutual interest and, above all, the audacity of shifting thousands of people all over the world for weeks at a time.

English cricket, as everywhere else, needs to decide whether this is a vision still worth fighting for. Cricket, at its best and most uplifting, can breach borders, forge connections, serve as a window into the world. That only works, however, if the window is open in the first place.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/bl...mpression=true

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a well meaning piece but I think it ignores some ground realities. Namely, that England is touring Pakistan more as a favor for Pakistan touring during the height of COVID-19, rather than in solidarity.

It also ignores the fact that no country cares if Pakistani players play in the IPL or not. The financial well-being of Pakistani players is not a pressing concern of any international cricket board, not should it be. And at the end of the day, that is what playing in the IPL mostly is for anyone who isn't Indian: a chance to make a lot of money.

I think the bigger question that needs to start being posed by all cricket boards is the atrocious practice of mixing politics with sports that India is actively promoting now. It is a practice that has not only established a dangerous precedent for the future but stands to bring the entire game into disrepute, and therefore affects all countries rather than just one.
    Last edited by RedwoodOriginal; 27th October 2020 at 01:27.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I don't think anybody in Pakistan hankers for the IPL, except former cricketers who got a taste of it once like Afridi or Sohail Tanvir.

The rest have the PSL now.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    there are some rights, some wrongs and some things that just are. pakistanis arent gonna be part of the ipl anytime soon, and nor can any other country force india to include pak players. best to just focus on the economic progress of the psl.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    #PakPlayersMatter

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Author does not ask ACB to also take a similar stance. Knows full well the Australia would never take a courages stand for an Asian side.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why is this issue being raised now when it should have been done few years ago..The ECB will do nothing

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    London UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistanis should stop talking about IPL.They should focus on PSL and improve it further.In Europe England,Spain,Italy,Germany, France etc have very strong football leagues.This is possible because every country is only concerned about its own league and is not worried about others.Pakistan should be concerned with PSL only and make it a top league.Forget about IPL.It is Indian league and let Indians run it they way they want to.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really don't care anymore if Pakistan players play in the IPL or not. Let's be honest only a few of our players make it, Babar and probably Amir are the only real losses in terms of Pakistan players not playing in the IPL. There is more than enough talent in the IPL which makes up for those 2 or any current Pakistan player not playing in the IPL.

The IPL for me is about enjoying the best players in the world playing each other for 2 months. International cricket is the pinnacle without a doubt , the IPL is on when there is no international cricket on so for me it's about enjoyment. Even though I support CSK, if they don't win the IPL I will be fine. So IPL is about enjoying cricket without getting too worked up about who wins.

Whereas international cricket, I really want Pakistan to win and do get down if we lose. And of course there is still that enjoyment about watching international cricket when watching other teams.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The problem and the reality is. The IPL lines the pockets of their players. 1 word against the ipl and those players will 'mysteriously' not get picked.

Debut
    Oct 2009
    Venue
    West Ridings
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great article from a great author. It's been given unprecedented exposure in UK and he's better than "sportswashing" obsessed Barney Ronay.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    Really don't care anymore if Pakistan players play in the IPL or not. Let's be honest only a few of our players make it, Babar and probably Amir are the only real losses in terms of Pakistan players not playing in the IPL. There is more than enough talent in the IPL which makes up for those 2 or any current Pakistan player not playing in the IPL.

The IPL for me is about enjoying the best players in the world playing each other for 2 months. International cricket is the pinnacle without a doubt , the IPL is on when there is no international cricket on so for me it's about enjoyment. Even though I support CSK, if they don't win the IPL I will be fine. So IPL is about enjoying cricket without getting too worked up about who wins.

Whereas international cricket, I really want Pakistan to win and do get down if we lose. And of course there is still that enjoyment about watching international cricket when watching other teams.
    Who cares if you don’t care?

The Gaurdian cares. A reputable Newspaper

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    If any cricket board speaks up about this issue, India wonít play them and theyíll lose millions.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    If any cricket board speaks up about this issue, India won’t play them and they’ll lose millions.
    It’s a smart article. BCCI can’t afford to play Australia 7-8 times in 4 years to fill in voids to draw revenues. I think the author is calling upon the British to stand up for what they are known to be, and that is fair and honourable.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never understood the foreign policy on Pakistani players in the IPL

-if you have a british passport even though you speak Pakistani Urdu/Punjabi and can hardly speak a word of English, you can play IPL.

All young Pakistani players (18-21) should try to look for Spouses in England and get british nationality, you should be playing IPL by the age of 27

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2069 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No we good.

We got the PSL which has a higher quality of bowling anyway. I'd much rather our youngsters face bowlers of quality than Dindas and Unadkhats.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    No we good.

We got the PSL which has a higher quality of bowling anyway. I'd much rather our youngsters face bowlers of quality than Dindas and Unadkhats.
    Bro the list is so long that it would turn into an essay in terms of word count. Be ready for an expert from the University of Dinda to refute it by saying people like Tushar Deshpande and Monu bowl to De Kock and Warner so they are better than Dilbar Hussain tenfold

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxfordchamp View Post
    Why is this issue being raised now when it should have been done few years ago..The ECB will do nothing
    ECB will do nothing cause they very well know they can do NOTHING.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianG00se View Post
    ECB will do nothing cause they very well know they can do NOTHING.
    But you admit something needs to be done?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IPL is a mediocre league where bowlers are amateur at best.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now every country has their own successful T20 league: IPL, PSL, BBL, MSL, CPL, NatwestT20 etc. I think it would be a great idea to revive Champions league T20. I think it would be successful.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    But you admit something needs to be done?
    I donít!

Playing in third country is a privilege and not a right. If BCCI or GOI were preventing Pakistani players from taking part in ICC events, then I will be first to admit there is something needs to be done. I condemned Indian government not allowing Pakistani shooters for not allowing to participate in India for Asian games(I think).
    International events shall not be held hostage or India should let go of hosting rights.

IPL on the other hand is a domestic event, which doesnít require players for every corner.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post
    Now every country has their own successful T20 league: IPL, PSL, BBL, MSL, CPL, NatwestT20 etc. I think it would be a great idea to revive Champions league T20. I think it would be successful.
    It will be economical and logistical nightmare. Apart from IPL and PSL fans, most donít really care nor they follow rigorously. Champions league or something similar wonít have economic benefits, not to mention India-Pakistan turmoil will make it even harder for teams to cross border.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post

I don't think there is much interest in that tournament that's why it was cancelled. If there was a genuine interest in the tournament it would not have been cancelled.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who cares if you don’t care?

The Gaurdian cares. A reputable Newspaper
    If they were praising the IPL you would be singing a different tune.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    215 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never understood the foreign policy on Pakistani players in the IPL

-if you have a british passport even though you speak Pakistani Urdu/Punjabi and can hardly speak a word of English, you can play IPL.

All young Pakistani players (18-21) should try to look for Spouses in England and get british nationality, you should be playing IPL by the age of 27
    Itís got to do with visa policy by Indian government for Pakistani nationals/origin. Since IPL is domestic tournament GoI is under no obligation to issue visas to Pakistani players, which is one of the reason why many franchise owners arenít keen on pursuing.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If they were praising the IPL you would be singing a different tune.
    And you are taking this opportunity to criticise the article because it isn’t praising IPL’s foreign policy against Pakistan??

You don’t speak for us Pakistan fans, stop saying things like “I don’t care if IPL doesn’t have Pakistan in it”. Who are you?

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Lets see beyond IPL please. We have PSL alhamdulillah. No need to cry about IPL. It is India's party, and upto them to invite Pakistan players. It is their loss if they don't. Simple as that.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few things:

- Pakistan isolated themselves following IPL 2, and the BCCI can always point to this incident to show it is not just a one way street
    - The current regime will simply refuse to issue visas to Pakistani players anyway
    - Why should international cricket boards feel much responsibility to vouch for Pakistan for what is ultimately a domestic league?
    - Pakistan remains involved at the global stage so at least there is no issue here

Basically it just looks silly for Pakistan to now start begging for IPL. It is not going to happen.

Like another poster said, the best policy is to just ignore their festival and focus on slowly increasing the number of box office players in the PSL.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    Lets see beyond IPL please. We have PSL alhamdulillah. No need to cry about IPL. It is India's party, and upto them to invite Pakistan players. It is their loss if they don't. Simple as that.
    PSL cannot be on IPL’s level until we do not have a similar window to IPL. It’s not going to happen. Plus the current generation of pros do not want to go to Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    A few things:

- Pakistan isolated themselves following IPL 2, and the BCCI can always point to this incident to show it is not just a one way street
    - The current regime will simply refuse to issue visas to Pakistani players anyway
    - Why should international cricket boards feel much responsibility to vouch for Pakistan for what is ultimately a domestic league?
    - Pakistan remains involved at the global stage so at least there is no issue here

Basically it just looks silly for Pakistan to now start begging for IPL. It is not going to happen.

Like another poster said, the best policy is to just ignore their festival and focus on slowly increasing the number of box office players in the PSL.
    I didn't know about that
    can you elaborate please?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PSL cannot be on IPL’s level until we do not have a similar window to IPL. It’s not going to happen. Plus the current generation of pros do not want to go to Pakistan.
    And you have to pay millions of dollars too to get the best..

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have a dictator in BCCI who created big three and made sure to kill cricket globally. I know it failed, but it seems that they are not done and will continue to bully as long as they are rich. Cricket is dying and countries like Pakistan, India, England and Australia should know better and work towards growing this game. but nobody cares, not even our fans.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    I didn't know about that
    can you elaborate please?
    https://www.hindustantimes.com/crick...lX7b6SDZN.html

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    The IPL franchise owners Pakistani players policy is basically "we will pay life changing sums of money to everyone around the world but to you guys, over our dead bodies, be underpaid forever and be bitter and jealous of the wealth all your fellow professionals are making which you will never ever make in your lifetime even if you come to us with a begging bowl".

What people don't realize is that the BCCI actually have no issues whether Pakistani players play in the IPL or not, the IPL is managed independently by the IPL body, in fact even the IPL body do not really have any issues with Pakistani players playing in the IPL or not, the reality is that the IPL franchise owners deliberately refuse to even consider the thought of picking Pakistani players for patriotic nationalistic reasons.

I think it was in 2009 or 2010 where Pakistani players were listed in the IPL draft including some top elite players who were topping global T20 rankings like Afridi, Ajmal, Gul, Hafeez, Razzaq and Co but not a single franchise expressed interest in picking a single Pakistani player and all of them went unsold and this prompted a very hurt, emotional, humiliated reaction from Afridi who mentioned that the Indian nation and franchise owners deliberately did this to humiliate and insult Pakistani players in front of the entire world

Even I used to feel annoyed and upset at seeing the state of affairs where all other cricket boards and players were benefiting financially with life changing sums of money, deals with broadcasting rights, deals, IPL but Pakistani cricketers and Pakistani cricket in general was falling behind a good ten years in the limited overs format.

The PCB was stuck in the cycle of paying expensively out of pocket for no returns for having to play in the UAE, constrained hand to mouth finances due to which they were unable to uplift their domestic cricket or national team which is why the PCB desperately chased the BCCI for a home series and the BCCI cognizant of PCBs desperation exploited this situation by refusing to play the PCB even if their govts didn't really care whether they played Pakistan or not.

However they say went you keep getting slapped in the face and getting turned away, you eventually learn to wake up and smell the coffee that you have to find another way to stand on your feet as the stagnant depressed state of affairs will still persist and continue.

Pakistan Cricket is indebted to Najam Sethi for breaking the cycle with the PSL idea and then Ehsan Mani, Wasim Khans efforts to uplift Pakistan Cricket via this $200 million deal with PTV, commercializing domestic cricket and hiring the best available coaching talent in the academies and domestic cricket. These measures will go a long way to help Pakistan catch up with the big 5 in the next 5 years.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Tbh the PCB should aim to make the PSL better than the IPL. I had an idea on how this could be done which I shared with Najam Sethi in an email and I quote and share

(Dear Mr Najam Sethi

There are so many high net worth Pakistani business owners both in and outside Pakistan whose personal wealths are close to $1 billion. The names of the following come to mind

1) Saddrudun Hashwani
    2) Mian Muhammad Mansha Natt
    3) Deewan Group Family
    4) Arif Habib
    5) Engro Corporation
    6) Sir Anwar Pervez (London)
    7) Shahid Khan (USA)

It may also be possible to engage and attract foreign rich businessmen from India, Arab states like Saudia Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and China to be PSL Franchise owners. These PSL Franchise Owners should ultimately be encouraged to buy out their respective regions, take complete ownership of the domestic regional teams and this way the goal of privitization of Pakistan Cricket at the grassroots can be achieved and the PCB can focus on just running the affairs of the PCB.

I believe the PSL can easily be number 2 and fingers crossed maybe even over take the IPL if we are very over optimistic. The goal should be a total of 16-18 teams and by selling those teams out at lucrative prices the PCB can get huge financial injections, cash flows where it will no longer be dependant on funds from the ICC, BCCI and this way we can take a strong stand when it comes to making foreign teams tour Pakistan with our held heads high

We can have the following teams from Punjab i.e. Lahore, Multan, Sialkot, Faislabad, Sarghodda

We can have the following teams from Sindh i.e. Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur

We can have the following teams from Balochistan i.e. Quetta, Gwadar

We can have the following teams from KPK i.e. Peshawar, Abbotabad, FATA

We can the Islamabad team

We can have a Bahria Town team

We can the following team from Kashmir i.e. Muzzafarabad

We can have a team from the Northern Areas like Gilgit, Baltistan

These are 18 PSL Franchises, the PCB can sell each Franchise at an astranomical higher price and can even rake in a total of $200 million from the sale of these teams. Even better for Pakistan Cricket is that this will allow more talent to be absorbed by the Franchises and more room for foreign players. The PCB will be able to create room for a PSL window in International Cricket just like the BCCI does with the IPL.

The PCB should definately keep these points in mind in the future

Regards)

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How much money do our players need? Our players' earn more than 10 times than general people with much less effort plus touring all over the world.They should be happy with PSL. If they need more money they should retire and play franchise leagues from all over the world. We need to stop begging for playing IPL.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    How much money do our players need? Our players' earn more than 10 times than general people with much less effort plus touring all over the world.They should be happy with PSL. If they need more money they should retire and play franchise leagues from all over the world. We need to stop begging for playing IPL.
    It is human nature to compare your earnings to your fellow professionals. If you earn at par with them you get a huge ego and self esteem boost.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Tbh the PCB should aim to make the PSL better than the IPL. I had an idea on how this could be done which I shared with Najam Sethi in an email and I quote and share

(Dear Mr Najam Sethi

There are so many high net worth Pakistani business owners both in and outside Pakistan whose personal wealths are close to $1 billion. The names of the following come to mind

1) Saddrudun Hashwani
    3) Deewan Group Family
    4) Arif Habib
    5) Engro Corporation
    7) Shahid Khan (USA)

It may also be possible to engage and attract foreign rich businessmen from India, Arab states like Saudia Arabia, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait and China to be PSL Franchise owners. These PSL Franchise Owners should ultimately be encouraged to buy out their respective regions, take complete ownership of the domestic regional teams and this way the goal of privitization of Pakistan Cricket at the grassroots can be achieved and the PCB can focus on just running the affairs of the PCB.

I believe the PSL can easily be number 2 and fingers crossed maybe even over take the IPL if we are very over optimistic. The goal should be a total of 16-18 teams and by selling those teams out at lucrative prices the PCB can get huge financial injections, cash flows where it will no longer be dependant on funds from the ICC, BCCI and this way we can take a strong stand when it comes to making foreign teams tour Pakistan with our held heads high

We can have the following teams from Punjab i.e. Lahore, Multan, Sialkot, Faislabad, Sarghodda

These are 18 PSL Franchises, the PCB can sell each Franchise at an astranomical higher price and can even rake in a total of $200 million from the sale of these teams. Even better for Pakistan Cricket is that this will allow more talent to be absorbed by the Franchises and more room for foreign players. The PCB will be able to create room for a PSL window in International Cricket just like the BCCI does with the IPL.

Regards)
    I definitely agree that we need to think two steps ahead of IPL and mark our own territory. Maybe worth sending the same email to Wasim Khan? I would be more than happy to help work on the email and flesh things out even more in depth.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's worth the effort on part of ECB.
    Yes ICC is a spineless body....FICA has hardly supported players outside big 3........but expecting
    ECB to raise their support for just 3 4 Pak players
    For whom IPL franchisees may have some interest.

IPL may still be dream of some Pak players esp Malik Amir but it's not what Pak cricketers or PCB in general needs....
    PCB need more home tours by international sides not just Zimbos...but also Kiwis Aussies ....

I hope this won't be a solitary Eng tour....hope they do tour within a year or 2.....and it's not about reciprocating for the support PCB lend during COVID times. It has a larger responsibility for the sake of cricket to be competitive as it was earlier and for the
    financial wellbeing of all cricket nations .

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    I definitely agree that we need to think two steps ahead of IPL and mark our own territory. Maybe worth sending the same email to Wasim Khan? I would be more than happy to help work on the email and flesh things out even more in depth.

Yes it would help bcoz Pak has a good market for cricket too...

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

(Dear Mr Najam Sethi

1) Saddrudun Hashwani
    3) Deewan Group Family
    4) Arif Habib
    5) Engro Corporation
    7) Shahid Khan (USA)

Regards)
    Few months ago you gave the same suggestions in another thread and I told you back then that its a poor, impractical and flawed idea.

And you are sharing it again.

18 teams, Bahria Town team, businessmen from INDIA & Arab countries to take the ownership of regions etc.

Please don't send these suggestions to Wasim Khan.
    Last edited by Kaddy; 27th October 2020 at 09:08.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaddy View Post
    Few months ago you gave the same suggestions in another thread and I told you back then that its a poor, impractical and flawed idea.

18 teams, Bahria Town team, businessmen from INDIA & Arab countries to take the ownership of regions etc.

All ideas start out as flawed. You either work on them or donít do anything at all.

It is necessary to think two steps ahead with the goal being to bring more money into cricket - maybe the final solution wonít have Bahria town and maybe it will have 12 teams not 18. The general sentiments, however, are very right and there is no reason we should not a) try to bring more money into the system and b) increase the brand value by carving a space into the international schedule as well as having the money to lure top international cricketers.

@Savak if I can help in any way to generate ideas do let me know.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaddy View Post

Explain why its impractical? A lot of posters would have mocked and insulted people who suggested that the PCB could find a way to generate $200 million in 3 years from their own domestic market but they found a way with the PTV deal.

You have to think big to make a product a success. I am pretty certain that a group of individuals, conglomerates inside and outside Pakistan have $200 million. If the PCB can get these many interested investors involved in the PSL, it is going to generate huge buzz, interest which will further attract eye balls, interest, broad casters who will pay big bucks for the product, the PCB also has to find a way how to get maximum $$ for their top product i.e. the PSL.

The PSL is based on a city structure and we already have 3 cities from the same province i.e. Islamabad, Lahore, Multan and all these teams have a tremendous fan following. My idea is a hundred percent practical if you think big. Obviously the PCB needs to tweek it for certain ground realities but if the PCB follows through on it, i can bet the IPL will be forced to respond as well.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    Shaheen Bagh, Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Cricket is a very small piece of the bigger problems that India and Pakistan have to resolve. The relationships have been at rock bottom since Mumbai terrorist attacks and things have only worsened in the 10-12 years since then.

Pakistan also haven't had any real superstar since a long time though, so there is also hardly any lobbying from Indian fans, franchises, marketing firms. Shoaib Akhtar, Afridi were really the last two Pakistani assets Indians would have desperately wanted in IPL and they did. KKR went out of the way to bring Shoaib Akhtar in IPL 1. No one right now in Pakistan is worth that effort. They punch well as a team but no big time star like they historically always had. If Wasim or Imran played today, bet franchises would have found some loophole to bring them.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I hope Saj can forward the email to Wasim Khan. I don't profess to have the perfect idea but i believe in what Imran Khan says you only achieve big things when you think big to begin with. I am sure Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan can mould the plan to some ground realities. When i shared my email with Najam Sethi he responded positively.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope Saj can forward the email to Wasim Khan. I don't profess to have the perfect idea but i believe in what Imran Khan says you only achieve big things when you think big to begin with. I am sure Ehsan Mani and Wasim Khan can mould the plan to some ground realities. When i shared my email with Najam Sethi he responded positively.
    I think the key ďbreakthrough ideaĒ takeaway is that each successive franchise can be marked up, which incentivizes the PCB to grow to at least 8 teams while maintaining the same quality (because now there is money for better foreign cricketers).

Breaking through the mental block of what the standard around the world currently is in franchise leagues, 16-18 teams would offer an immense sum to the PCB upfront, though broadcasting revenues are split further which means existing teams will not be happy.

The solution to this is growing broadcasting revenues as well as revenues from other streams. Breaking it down into those two halves, we have the following:

1) Broadcasting revenues - this is grown through the number of viewers upfront, both within and outside of Pakistan. The Pakistan market is reaching about 50% saturation and can be expected to grow to organically to 80% within 3 years. The international market however is at a very low threshold of maybe 5-10% saturation. To think in big terms, we will need PSL to carve out its own international window, and lure all the big stars from major countries. Key markets of interest are the UK, UAE, USA, Australian, and South African viewers, and Indian viewers should be counter somehow too. Working one by one, partnerships with Sky, BBC in the UK, Willow in the US, and so on will be needed and will not be difficult to secure if top international stars are coming.

I might do a mathematical breakdown on investments needed versus costs recouped, when I find time. We can identify the optimal number of teams that way.

2) Other streams of revenue - merchandising, t-shirts, and local brand building of PSL teams within their cities is far from saturation right now. In fact, only Zalmi seems to be doing a decent job selling merchandise and even they will concede to 30% saturation at the very most. No one follows the Qalandars religiously in Lahore and likewise for other teams - this will require activities throughout the year, from talent spotting camps to festivals where players put on a show for fans, hitting sixes competitions, speed gun competitions, and so on. Franchises also need better kit designers - you canít sell t shirts if the kits look horrible. In terms of activities, there can be intra-Lahore and intra-Karachi competitions held throughout the year with local sponsors roped in to sustain the feasibility.

In fact, it is clear that IPL is heading towards the year-round model within the next 10 years. At this stage, all other leagues will be left in the dust. However, there is first-movers advantage which can be secured by any league that moves towards this format - if the PSL were to attempt something like this by 2025, it would have the initial advantage.

Secondly, it is clear that international cricket is headed towards a revival of the Champions League T20 format also by the end of this decade. This is because of the clear and rapid growth of franchise leagues worldwide. First movers advantage is important here, as overlapping players who play in multiple leagues will go to the highest bidder. PSL needs to be in a commanding financial position by then.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    All ideas start out as flawed. You either work on them or don’t do anything at all.

It is necessary to think two steps ahead with the goal being to bring more money into cricket - maybe the final solution won’t have Bahria town and maybe it will have 12 teams not 18. The general sentiments, however, are very right and there is no reason we should not a) try to bring more money into the system and b) increase the brand value by carving a space into the international schedule as well as having the money to lure top international cricketers.

@Savak if I can help in any way to generate ideas do let me know.
    Absolutely, feel free to give your analysis, thoughts, opinions on how to tweek the idea. In fact i know the next question people will ask is how can you have a PSL with 18 franchises. Very simple. Instead of having one PSL tournament with 18 Franchises, how about a First Eleven Elite PSL with 8-9 teams max and a Second Eleven PSL with the other 8-9 teams.

The pool of money, salaries, players in the first eleven elite PSL is around $1, $2, $3, $4 million whereas the money in the second eleven PSL is around the current PSL levels is $50-$500,000 where players, teams who don't qualify for the first eleven elite PSL tournament don't get depressed discouraged and have a massive incentive to work their butts of to qualify for the first eleven elite PSL tournament.

Overall win win situation for everyone including the PCB who ends up raking gigantic fees from the PSL franchises and then uses the money as a powerful multiplier to make the board ten times richer and stronger.

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great work, @Savak! Like TB14 said, they all start out as flawed until they get to the final phase.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the PCB brought it on themselves by blocking it's players for the second edition. They should have given a little thought before pulling that little stint.

Here we are a decade later, with IPL being bigger than ever and Pakistan with hardly a couple of players who'll likely get a contact.

Axe....own..... foot

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1367 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Absolutely, feel free to give your analysis, thoughts, opinions on how to tweek the idea. In fact i know the next question people will ask is how can you have a PSL with 18 franchises. Very simple. Instead of having one PSL tournament with 18 Franchises, how about a First Eleven Elite PSL with 8-9 teams max and a Second Eleven PSL with the other 8-9 teams.

The pool of money, salaries, players in the first eleven elite PSL is around $1, $2, $3, $4 million whereas the money in the second eleven PSL is around the current PSL levels is $50-$500,000 where players, teams who don't qualify for the first eleven elite PSL tournament don't get depressed discouraged and have a massive incentive to work their butts of to qualify for the first eleven elite PSL tournament.

Overall win win situation for everyone including the PCB who ends up raking gigantic fees from the PSL franchises and then uses the money as a powerful multiplier to make the board ten times richer and stronger.
    I like the feasibility of this. In fact, combining this with what I mentioned earlier about securing first-movers advantage into the year-round format, the basic structure is already there split between PSL and the National T20 Cup.

What if we were to bring foreign players into the National T20 cup system, and expand from 2 levels of 6 teams (12 teams) to 2 levels of 8-10 teams, first and second XIs.

In a sense, this replicates the county system but has far more eyeballs from Pakistanís huge market than England can ever hope to have.

The first XI is layered with PSL over a 2 month window (to begin with) and includes top foreign players. In the second XI, top up and coming Sri Lankan, Bangladeshi, and South African players can be given the chance to hone their skills.

Itís actually not a far-fetched idea. Bangladesh is desperate for good domestic structure while Sri Lankan cricketers are largely ignored from the IPL. There are similarly South African players who do Kolpak, so why not go for the Pakistan system which offers higher quality domestic cricket, more money, and more eyeballs than the county system with the opportunity to break into the PSL, earn even more money, and maybe even make it to the Champions League T20 in 2030?

These are the lofty 5 to 10 year goals I would be very excited to see the PCB begin working on. It just requires a) long-term planning b) securing of investment and c) setting up of the structure.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Well the PCB brought it on themselves by blocking it's players for the second edition. They should have given a little thought before pulling that little stint.

Here we are a decade later, with IPL being bigger than ever and Pakistan with hardly a couple of players who'll likely get a contact.

Axe....own..... foot
    The PCB at the time was following Pakistani govt orders. They couldn't have gone against their govt which is the exact excuse given by the BCCI for Pakistan India billateral ties and Pakistani players in the IPL

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1379 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    I don't think anybody in Pakistan hankers for the IPL, except former cricketers who got a taste of it once like Afridi or Sohail Tanvir.

The rest have the PSL now.
    Yep itís usually the 2000s players namely Afridi, Hafeez and Akhtar who keep crying about IPL. And tbh since PSL started from what Iíve seen the average pakistani on the street also doesnít follow IPL as much as before that.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Yep it’s usually the 2000s players namely Afridi, Hafeez and Akhtar who keep crying about IPL. And tbh since PSL started from what I’ve seen the average pakistani on the street also doesn’t follow IPL as much as before that.
    The average Pakistani will follow the IPL if there are a sizeable number of Pakistani players participating. Everyone wants to belong in a global community. I remember the first IPL season in 2008 was heavily watched given that all the major Pakistani players were involved.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6843 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    What an absolute joke. How on earth did Guardian allow this to be published is beyond me.

Firstly, why on earth should ECB care about the participation of Pakistani players in an Indian league?

Secondly, the ignoramus who wrote this rubbish needs to explore and understand the reason behind the banishment of Pakistani players from IPL.

There is nothing strange or sad about our exile. It is self-inflicted thanks to our arrogance and misjudgment in 2009 - a move that backfired in the most spectacular and brutal fashion.

PCB got what it deserved.

Furthermore, it seems that the English cricket circle is still buying into the laughable drama that Pakistan toured England in the summer as a favor to ECB and not because it was simply looking at its own interests.

I didnít think the England cricket writers were such gullible and naive fools.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6843 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    The PCB at the time was following Pakistani govt orders. They couldn't have gone against their govt which is the exact excuse given by the BCCI for Pakistan India billateral ties and Pakistani players in the IPL
    PCB justified blocking its players from entering the auction for IPL 2009 because playing in India was not safe for Pakistani players at the time.

However, those safety concerns turned out to be nonsense because the IPL was shifted to South Africa because of the election in India.

Granted that it wasnít officially announced at the time, PCB/Government of Pakistan should have shown some foresight and not shoot from the hip.

It is not uncommon for large-scale sporting activities to be abandoned during election period because of security reasons.

PCB/Government of Pakistan would have shown some foresight if they had genuine and honest intentions. Unfortunately, the aim was to derail and hurt IPL after the Indian government accused Pakistan of masterminding Mumbai attacks.

This aim of hurting IPL proved to be a huge mistake and it backfired in remarkable fashion.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Savak - You are wrong in saying its not BCCI or IPL governing council that has banned Pak players but rather the franchises. It is actually the opposite.

Preity Zinta, Shahrukh Khan, Shilpa Shetty etc. were ready to pick Pak players in 2010 auction but BCCI forced them not to. Its the same IPL auction where all Pak players went unsold and no one bid for them due to security concerns.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    If any cricket board speaks up about this issue, India wonít play them and theyíll lose millions.
    Everyone seems to be ignoring your point which happens to be the absolute truth.

The foreign commentators should bow their heads in shame.
    Alas money talks and.......
    Last edited by IMMY69; 27th October 2020 at 13:56.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is wishful thinking. What say can ECB have if Pak players are not picked up in a league run by BCCI? At best, they can hold up the NOCs for their players for participating in IPL but what would they achieve except antagonizing the most powerful board in cricket, their future purse strings & their own players who participate in IPL? Besides the point is why expect ECB to fight PCBís battles?
    Last edited by dildilpak; 27th October 2020 at 14:11.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Do Azerbaijan and Armenia play any common sport?

I wonder how they would react if the Government of India persuades them to play in some domestic football league with each other haha!

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Do Azerbaijan and Armenia play any common sport?

I wonder how they would react if the Government of India persuades them to play in some domestic football league with each other haha!
    Not sure about your point.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Not sure about your point.
    My point is it's outside the ECB's remit to get involved in a domestic dispute between India and Pakistan.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why exactly should an independent board comment on the relations between two different boards? PCB have dragged BCCI to CAS, do not have a working relation with BCCI any longer, the two countries have scaled down diplomatic relations. And cricket has been in a freeze as you would expect sporting events between two countries who are in a similar situation.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My political opinion is known to most here but I dont like to mix politics with cricket. These are totally different things as politics is an ideology which I subscribe to and sports is entertainment. I see absolutely no harm in having Pakistani players in IPL. I mean who would not want to see Babar Azam against Bumrah or Amir vs Kohli etc.? These mini battles will increase the viewrship of IPL even more.

I would also want to see bilateral cricket between 2 sides. Its been 12 years since we have played a test match and an entire generation of cricketers will never get to play against each other in red ball. Something should be done here.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Dont think there is anything sad about it. People dont realise what sad actually means.

I would love to see Pakistani players in IPL but the fact that they do not feature means that I can spend the hours watching IPL on something more meaningful in my life.

I have been a big fan of international cricket anyways. T20 league cricket is like having a quick snack. It is the defo not the main course of a meal.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I have no care for the IPL. Even if pakistani players play in it it would be difficult to follow all teh matches and really get emotional about any of the teams. I have no interest in Indian cricket and Indian players or the way they play the game. I'm glad our players dont play in it as it just allows vultures to entrap them or to corrupt them. better to stay away from it. I like the PSL and Pakistan cricket. I enjoy English cricket but my main focus is always international cricket and I try to watch most of it where I can. The IPL just bores me..

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This thread gives author reasons Pakistanis don't want to play or watch IPL.

Lack of quality of cricket, length of tournament, lack of respect given to Pakistanis in ipl, lack of disposable time, better things to do, PSL already being played, too much money being made already by pcb.

All valid reasons.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the obsession with ipl needs to end PSL is getting better & better , we need another 2 teams added , pcb have to force the teams to pick more young Pakistani players , retired ex Pakistan players need to become mentors instead of hogging a space in the team , we need only 3 foreigners( no 40 year olds) & 3 U21 Pakistanis must be in a 11

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMMY69 View Post
    Everyone seems to be ignoring your point which happens to be the absolute truth.

The foreign commentators should bow their heads in shame.
    Alas money talks and.......
    This Moral high ground position would have had some merit, if Pakistan itself had not pulled away their players in the first place.

PCB tried to sabotage IPL, it backfired, and wants BCCI to let it's players play in it.

It's hypocrisy by PCB.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Indians are construing PCB's inability to send Pakistani players in the 2009 IPL as a deliberate act of sabotage when reality is that the government of Pakistan did not allow the PCB to send its players. Should the PCB and the Pakistani players have defied the government of Pakistan's directives?

I find it funny how Indians fans, ex players and BCCI cite no government approval for their refusal to play Pakistan in billateral series or having the Pakistani players in the IPL but blame the PCB and Pakistani players when they were in the same situation in 2009

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    What an absolute joke. How on earth did Guardian allow this to be published is beyond me.

Firstly, why on earth should ECB care about the participation of Pakistani players in an Indian league?

Secondly, the ignoramus who wrote this rubbish needs to explore and understand the reason behind the banishment of Pakistani players from IPL.

There is nothing strange or sad about our exile. It is self-inflicted thanks to our arrogance and misjudgment in 2009 - a move that backfired in the most spectacular and brutal fashion.

Furthermore, it seems that the English cricket circle is still buying into the laughable drama that Pakistan toured England in the summer as a favor to ECB and not because it was simply looking at its own interests.

I didn’t think the England cricket writers were such gullible and naive fools.
    The PCB in 2009 was following the government of Pakistan's directives i.e. the PPP, the PCB is bound to follow government directives, blame the PPP not the then PCB as its hands were tied

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    456 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    PCB justified blocking its players from entering the auction for IPL 2009 because playing in India was not safe for Pakistani players at the time.

However, those safety concerns turned out to be nonsense because the IPL was shifted to South Africa because of the election in India.

Granted that it wasn’t officially announced at the time, PCB/Government of Pakistan should have shown some foresight and not shoot from the hip.

It is not uncommon for large-scale sporting activities to be abandoned during election period because of security reasons.

PCB/Government of Pakistan would have shown some foresight if they had genuine and honest intentions. Unfortunately, the aim was to derail and hurt IPL after the Indian government accused Pakistan of masterminding Mumbai attacks.

This aim of hurting IPL proved to be a huge mistake and it backfired in remarkable fashion.
    Again i have no idea why you are blaming the PCB here. They are bound by law to follow government orders and directives once they are given and the facts are the then PPP government refused to give permission to the PCB to send their players to the IPL. In fact a group of Pakistani bound IPL players even went to meet the Prime Minister and President regarding the matter i.e. to either be allowed to play in the IPL or to be compensated for a loss of earnings.

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians are construing PCB's inability to send Pakistani players in the 2009 IPL as a deliberate act of sabotage when reality is that the government of Pakistan did not allow the PCB to send its players. Should the PCB and the Pakistani players have defied the government of Pakistan's directives?

I find it funny how Indians fans, ex players and BCCI cite no government approval for their refusal to play Pakistan in billateral series or having the Pakistani players in the IPL but blame the PCB and Pakistani players when they were in the same situation in 2009
    If that is the case, then why beg and plead for inclusion of pak players...

Why wish for ECB to put pressure on BCCI for inclusion in IPL.

But no, PCB won't do that, yearly moaning will continue, and in the meanwhile they will also drag BCCI to court and eventually lose the case.

After that, guess what, again the cries for IPL inclusion will start.

Meanwhile pak fans will laugh at quality of cricket in IPL.

Lot of delusions there, you should look at mirror before pointing fingers at BCCI

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ecb should not get involved and pcb should move on from all cricketing related ties with a facist state who need no introduction.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I said *** cares about IPL, we got PSL, it interest me the most, including whichever foreign cricketers play. IPL is india's party and i could care less. PSL is our party and that's what I like. I am entitled to my opinion, and I am not comparing the money, the basis and other stats between the two. Like holy crap, can't a person have an opinion here?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    242 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    I said *** cares about IPL, we got PSL, it interest me the most, including whichever foreign cricketers play. IPL is india's party and i could care less. PSL is our party and that's what I like. I am entitled to my opinion, and I am not comparing the money, the basis and other stats between the two. Like holy crap, can't a person have an opinion here?
    Yeah I get that but our party at the moment seems more like a pre-drinks session at the dorms before the big night out which is the IPL. Our party could be as lit as the other parties, no harm in mentioning how we would like it to be that way

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JattMaula View Post
    This thread gives author reasons Pakistanis don't want to play or watch IPL.

Lack of quality of cricket, length of tournament, lack of respect given to Pakistanis in ipl, lack of disposable time, better things to do, PSL already being played, too much money being made already by pcb.

All valid reasons.
    My reasons for not watching IPL so I don't even care if Pakistani players play in the ipl or not (of course players would have a different opinion )

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leg-side-flick View Post
    If that is the case, then why beg and plead for inclusion of pak players...
    Would love read article by any respectable Pakistani journalist or any Pakistani journalist for that matter, any comment from PCB or any current Pakistani player which talked about IPL inclusion. I think it would be great if you can back your statement of begging with some sources as I think I might have missed them.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2677 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

I didn’t think the England cricket writers were such gullible and naive fools.
    Jonathan Liew is a well respected journalist. In your desire to put down anything which is remotely pro-Pakistani you seem to have not bothered (not for the time) to check on the reputation of this writer.