User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Expectations from Babar Azam as ODI captain?

So Babar Azam will lead Pakistan in an ODI series for the first time.

I feel he is still struggling as captain in T20Is but its possible that ODI games will give him more breathing space to take decisions which T20Is don't - And also more time to make a mark as a batsman - both of which will help him do better as captain in ODIs.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    T20 is not a good parameter to judge new captains. ODI Cricket gives you time.I am expecting him to be better in decision making in ODI cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Expect him to maintain his performance and manage his resources to the best of his ability. We don't want to be in a situation where if we lose we are blaming Babar captaincy.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a series he is expected to win so the pressure will be on him.

Let's see how it impacts his decisions on and off the field as well as his batting.

A good captain will thrive, a poor one will cave.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Babar speaking to the press today:

"In T20Is you have to play quick and take decisions at a fast pace, but in ODIs you get a little more time; This is my first ODI series as a captain and I will try to use the experience that I have gained from T20Is"

"My philosophy is that if you support and back your guys, then those players will give their 110% effort so that the team gets good results"

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Good bowling changes and backing his bowlers. Doing well so far Bobby.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Seems bit more assured of himself - no 10 people around him but fact is that his bowlers not doing the job for him.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not being the yes man of misbah. Use own brain.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Name:  bd9d5c20-3284-4094-a059-4fe0aee440a0.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  33.1 KB

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Seems bit more assured of himself - no 10 people around him but fact is that his bowlers not doing the job for him.
    Arenít they? He brought Imad and Wahab on to control the run rate and even Rauf went 13 dots in 14 balls. I think Babar will be very happy with the tactical ploy. Now the squeeze is beginning to yield wickets and as the run rate climbs, he will be expecting his bowlers to attack.

Overall, sound strategy in my opinion and commendable from Babar who backed Rauf especially after a difficult first spell.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Babar's first game is proving to be tougher than he thought!

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Babar's first game is proving to be tougher than he thought!
    Captaincy could have been a bit more aggressive I feel, once the initial defensive ploy worked (and it was a good ploy, credit to Babar) they should have switched gears to look for wickets. Lots of easy singles given based on field setting.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6874 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Pakistan is among the worst teams in the world. As long as Babar is doing well individually, his captaincy does not matter.

Talent and skill wise Pakistan is in the Bangladesh/Sri Lanka/West Indies league but the fans expect India/England/Australia standard performances.

That is the whole issue - the level of expectations. As long as the fans donít come to terms with where Pakistan cricket stands and where it is heading, they will remain impatient and restless.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Pakistan is among the worst teams in the world. As long as Babar is doing well individually, his captaincy does not matter.

Talent and skill wise Pakistan is in the Bangladesh/Sri Lanka/West Indies league but the fans expect India/England/Australia standard performances.

That is the whole issue - the level of expectations. As long as the fans donít come to terms with where Pakistan cricket stands and where it is heading, they will remain impatient and restless.
    Better than patient, bitter, and hopeless. Iíll leave it at that.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He isn't a leader.

Hopefully he'll grow from this experience, but we're far better off letting our only decent batsman concentrate on batting.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Doesn't looks extraordinary seems to be same mold of azhar ali(in captaincy).

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not playing leg spinner against zim was pathetic decision. Zim have terrible record against leg spin heck even yasir had 6 fer in odis against them .

Also if you are going to play your strongest team then fakhar should be first name on odi team .Abid/imam are similar player who are not ideal opening partner in odis

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The problem Pakistan has is that there really are only 2 players who are confirmed a spot in the team: Babar and Shaheen.

So they have to choose a captain from those two. Which makes Babar the logical choice.

However, I don't think Babar has that personality to be a captain. Doesn't seem to be authoritative. And also I don't find him to be a great tactician.

Rizwan might be a better choice but his form will remain iffy all the way.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    My expectation is that he will step outside of box - and come up with decisions that will define his legacy.

Right now, it seems that he is unable to think for himself.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Rizwan saved him in the last 10 overs when he started panicking.

Rizwan was constantly talking to the bowlers and advising Babar about field placements.

I don't really care as long as Babar Sher keeps scoring runs. If it effects his batting in the long run then we're in trouble.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the game rizwan seemed like he was the captain

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeed5646 View Post
    Not playing leg spinner against zim was pathetic decision. Zim have terrible record against leg spin heck even yasir had 6 fer in odis against them .

Also if you are going to play your strongest team then fakhar should be first name on odi team .Abid/imam are similar player who are not ideal opening partner in odis
    I reakon that was misbah decision

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tell a captain just by observing him . . Body language on the field, in press conferences, in interviews, in his depth of thinking/communication, in his team selections, tactical decisions on the field, etc . .

All captains are different but above are some traits that make good captains of all sorts stand out . . Angry, passionate, authoritative, cool and calm, strategists, introverted, and a blend . .

Babar unfortunately exhibits almost none of the qualities of being a good leader . . While obviously I can't comment on his demeanour off the field and I am sure he is very supportive and commands a lot of respect in the dressing room due to his stature. . From what I can see, read, observe . . He seems to have very limited leadership qualities. .

In fact, as a massive fan of Babars batting, I fear for his batting performances once the pressure gets amped up which it will soon. . He should go on to become the best Pak batsman ever by a country mile . . Anything short of that will be a travesty! Giving him the burden of captaincy for me is an obstacle . .

I truly hope I am wrong . . But to answer the question . . My expectation is for him to have a very substandard captaincy stint (not just in terms of results but also in terms of how he carries himself, his decision making, etc.) . . I expect him to come under immense pressure (like azhar ali has after the England tour) . . And I expect his batting performances to go down under that pressure. .

And just want to add a word on the inability of our board to recognize and groom captains. . Babar is captain because he's our best player . . Thar should never be the criteria for leadership!

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NauV View Post
    You can tell a captain just by observing him . . Body language on the field, in press conferences, in interviews, in his depth of thinking/communication, in his team selections, tactical decisions on the field, etc . .

All captains are different but above are some traits that make good captains of all sorts stand out . . Angry, passionate, authoritative, cool and calm, strategists, introverted, and a blend . .

Babar unfortunately exhibits almost none of the qualities of being a good leader . . While obviously I can't comment on his demeanour off the field and I am sure he is very supportive and commands a lot of respect in the dressing room due to his stature. . From what I can see, read, observe . . He seems to have very limited leadership qualities. .

In fact, as a massive fan of Babars batting, I fear for his batting performances once the pressure gets amped up which it will soon. . He should go on to become the best Pak batsman ever by a country mile . . Anything short of that will be a travesty! Giving him the burden of captaincy for me is an obstacle . .

I truly hope I am wrong . . But to answer the question . . My expectation is for him to have a very substandard captaincy stint (not just in terms of results but also in terms of how he carries himself, his decision making, etc.) . . I expect him to come under immense pressure (like azhar ali has after the England tour) . . And I expect his batting performances to go down under that pressure. .

And just want to add a word on the inability of our board to recognize and groom captains. . Babar is captain because he's our best player . . Thar should never be the criteria for leadership!
    This!

Rizwan should be the captain of PCT.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    214 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have zero expectations. Nothing so far suggests he has leadership qualities. We'll probably still continue to win some games due to his batting, and provided he keeps performing he's unlikely to face any challenges to his captaincy from the dressing room.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar speaking to the press today:

"In T20Is you have to play quick and take decisions at a fast pace, but in ODIs you get a little more time; This is my first ODI series as a captain and I will try to use the experience that I have gained from T20Is"

"My philosophy is that if you support and back your guys, then those players will give their 110% effort so that the team gets good results"
    its like i could read his mind.. but it is quiet true.. ODI's need more balance and patience.
    T20 is just too fast paced.. its just some luck on that day.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    This guy doesn't have any strong personality and will be same as Azhar Ali. No aggression we can expect from him. A dull captain.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bowling changes were quite good in the last match. To bring back Haris and Shaheen at critical times was very good.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Babar captaincy has been fine in the 2 games. His personality and whether he can be successful is a debate. But tactically he has done fine.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know why, but people in here are too pessimistic. Tactically babar has done great in the two matches, you can't really fault him, as he will keep captaining, he will have more control in his moves, hence you will be able to see a more determined captain. Everything happens with time.

All these people now remind me of when Kane Williamson was appointed as Kiwi captain, and people at that time used to say he is too timid. He is now tactically the best captain in world cricket.

Everything needs time, give time, have patience, and don't overcriticise. Be positive about something, our country is already full of negativity, we don't need more!
    Last edited by Attiq_Lone; 1st November 2020 at 16:03. Reason: spelling

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    500 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First series win for Babar and lead his team to victory in 2nd ODI. His bowling changes have been pretty good. He is still new in the role so obviously field settings and tactics will improve further. He is a keen learner as he has shown in his batting as well as limited captaincy stint till now. Hopefully he can continue that.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    First series win for Babar and lead his team to victory in 2nd ODI. His bowling changes have been pretty good. He is still new in the role so obviously field settings and tactics will improve further. He is a keen learner as he has shown in his batting as well as limited captaincy stint till now. Hopefully he can continue that.
    Well said. I had my doubts but he has led from the front with the bat every single series so far that he has been captain, whether T20 or ODI.

Bowling changes have been decent. Letís see how he develops and what kind of a man manager he is.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Attiq_Lone View Post
    I don't know why, but people in here are too pessimistic. Tactically babar has done great in the two matches, you can't really fault him, as he will keep captaining, he will have more control in his moves, hence you will be able to see a more determined captain. Everything happens with time.

All these people now remind me of when Kane Williamson was appointed as Kiwi captain, and people at that time used to say he is too timid. He is now tactically the best captain in world cricket.

Everything needs time, give time, have patience, and don't overcriticise. Be positive about something, our country is already full of negativity, we don't need more!
    We will know more when we play against NZ, Eng etc. Against this Zim side even Shadab Khan would have been a champion as captain.

Azhar Ali looked like Imran Khan as well against SL, Bangla at home.

We all have to wait and see how Babar does against oppositions better than us when we actually need a captain to make the difference on the field. Azhar Ali against Eng in the first test this summer is a big example.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some people want Babar replaced already, for me he is the best man for the job. Shadab should concentrate on his own game before becoming captain. We saw how it ended with Sarfraz when he was made captain, the same could happen with Rizwan. Other than that there are no other choices. Let's just get behind Babar. Some captains grow into the role. Look at Jason Holder , everyone thought he wasn't a captain and now he is a top class leader. It took him more than a few series to grow into the role.

We are a poor side who won't start beating the big 3 because someone else is captain. As long as Babar is performing with the bat, maximising his resources, and winning the games we are supposed to we should stick by him. I would like to see him improve his English as the media will want to hear from him due to how good he is.And the universal language for cricket is English. So it would be nice for him to be able to express himself and articulate himself properly rather than hearing the typical textbook sayings for a Pakistan cricketer.

It's been a good start for him overall. Hopefully he keeps on improving tactically.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Well said. I had my doubts but he has led from the front with the bat every single series so far that he has been captain, whether T20 or ODI.

Bowling changes have been decent. Letís see how he develops and what kind of a man manager he is.
    Lol "had my doubts" coming from the guy who wanted Shadab as captain

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lmao all those people keep doubting Babar's captaincy and looking at him through the microscope. Get off his *** and let him settle.into.jis captaincy without constantly barking at him.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He batted well today but the job was done in the first half of the game.

It remains to be seen if he can both captain and bat well when under pressure. My feeling is that he cannot.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1380 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    Lol "had my doubts" coming from the guy who wanted Shadab as captain
    Of course I had my doubts about Babar. He is as introverted as they come. Meanwhile Shadab is a born leader according to not me but Mickey Arthur, Mohammad Wasim, Misbah, Inzamam, Dean Jones, and many more far more qualified than I am.

So yes, I do think Shadab would make a good captain - that does not mean he should be made captain immediately.

Right now he doesnít deserve it - should be vice captain for some time, and grow into his multiple roles in the team. If Babar fails, he can take over in a couple years.

Ideally though, Babar performs with the bat as captain while also energizing the team as well as making good tactical decisions. I donít think thereís anyone who doesnít want this to happen. But it is clear he is introverted and therefore the doubts remain.

He will continue to have my full-fledged support in the meanwhile.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone stating babar is not a leader and doubting his captaincy hes stil young and learning even williamson was timid but now hes one of the best give it time.he is the best person for the job

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Insipid in the field, uninspiring?

Now must play the innings of his life.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    A worried BA

Name:  f172cd97-27f7-46c3-9717-0bf383e4c046.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  36.3 KB

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bottled it at the end. He should have finished that game himself

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask yourself, was he dumb enough not to continue batting in the super over with Wahab Riaz, OR he is spineless enough not to stand against Misbah’s decision to send his friend, chacha ifti and inexperienced khushdil in the super over?

I think it’s the later.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    514 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    A bigger yes-man than Azhar Ali.

Can't even bat himself in the super over after scoring 125 as captain.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    464 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    As I've said in other threads, he doesn't inspire any confidence. His captaincy will be very similar to Azhar Ali's.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love Babar but he needs to start exerting his authority. I am so disappointed that he didn't come out to bat today. Even if we ignore the absolutely brainless decision of sending in Ifthikar, once he was out Babar should have backed himself and put his feet down. Even a boundary or 2 and singles in the rest would have been enough to defend and Babar is fully capable of doing that.

I feel like he might be better if Misbah is booted out.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    278 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Don't really know enough about him to judge his captaincy credentials, but just from his demeanour never really struck me as leader type. Also, I really think he should be winning games like this. Not that he's alone in that regard, Pakistan seem to have a plethora of players who can hit a few shots and get out, but you would like to think a captain would have the strength of purposed to see the game through to the end.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2685 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Speaking to the media.

"We had some good performances by the players and I also learnt a lot from the boys; Any mistakes that I made as a captain, I will try not to make them again; You learn every day from your mistakes so you dont make the same mistake again; I speak to the coaches to see how I could have done things better so I have learnt a lot"

"I am not disheartened and I will completely back the players; T20s are coming up and I have really enjoyed captaincy in that format"
    Last edited by MenInG; 3rd November 2020 at 22:49.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He should have came into bat in the super over with haider ali he looked really worried just before the super over.i think misbah needs to be sacked so babar can have a better say in elections

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Patriot View Post
    I love Babar but he needs to start exerting his authority. I am so disappointed that he didn't come out to bat today. Even if we ignore the absolutely brainless decision of sending in Ifthikar, once he was out Babar should have backed himself and put his feet down. Even a boundary or 2 and singles in the rest would have been enough to defend and Babar is fully capable of doing that.

I feel like he might be better if Misbah is booted out.
    That's what am thinking misbah is to controlling babar needs someone whis willing to listen to him

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah weird super over decision. Usually you either go with your openers who are used to coming in ball one. Or Babar could have gone with himself, man in form and experience who was hitting the ball well. Plus he has opening experience in T20s. Could have gone Babar-Fakhar or Babar-Haider easily.

Iftikhar and Kushdil both didn't have great games, lower/middle order batsmen. And low on experience. There was a much higher chance they'd fail.

Though let's be honest it was probably Misbah's decision to send those two. He probably already chose who would take the super over if it came down to it already.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What i also dont get is why didnt babar try a part timer bowler when the likes of musa were taking a beating? Think out of the box try a part timer

Ive seen fakhar turn his arm over in games Even though your options are limited Why wouldnt you try someone different rather than keep going to someone whos going at 8 an over?

Its things like this he needs to learn Be pro active and think smarter and on your feet more

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar is a yes man i am afraid, brilliant batsmen, but does not look charismatic on the field, the last thing we need is another azhar ali who starts twiddling his thumbs when we start throwing games away, we need someone with a backbone whos willing to take risks.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6874 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    What i also dont get is why didnt babar try a part timer bowler when the likes of musa were taking a beating? Think out of the box try a part timer

Ive seen fakhar turn his arm over in games Even though your options are limited Why wouldnt you try someone different rather than keep going to someone whos going at 8 an over?

Its things like this he needs to learn Be pro active and think smarter and on your feet more
    If the part-timer would have been smashed, people would say that Babar should have shown faith in Musa and not dent his confidence by taking him out.

See this is what happens when fans donít accept that the only reason why we keep getting humiliated is not because of captaincy or coaching but because the players are simply not good enough.

The level of talent, skill and application among Pakistani cricketers is just not good enough at the moment. You bring any coach in the world and nothing will change.

People with memory loss wax lyrical about Mickey now, but the same Mickey led Pakistan to 21 defeats in 25 matches before the World Cup.