User Tag List

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Why doesn't Usman Khan Shinwari get the respect he deserves?

I find it astonishing to see no one bat an eye for this guys exclusion time and time again. He was unfortunate to miss out on WC selection and didn't get a go in the recent England series.

This guy averages 18 with the ball and has 34 wickets in 17 matches. On top of that he is a matchwinning bowler renowned for ripping through lineups. Something Pakistan agonisingly lacks.

Time to give him the respect he deserves. Pakistan should stop wasting this guy.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Single handedly lost games in PSL 2019 so lost favour from Mickey Arthur. Has been out of the team since then.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sher Khan View Post
    I find it astonishing to see no one bat an eye for this guys exclusion time and time again. He was unfortunate to miss out on WC selection and didn't get a go in the recent England series.

This guy averages 18 with the ball and has 34 wickets in 17 matches. On top of that he is a matchwinning bowler renowned for ripping through lineups. Something Pakistan agonisingly lacks.

Time to give him the respect he deserves. Pakistan should stop wasting this guy.
    He is a well known bottler in tough situations.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Was the top wicket taker in the last odi series pakistan played!
    Atleast should have been a part of current squad

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Has all the skills to be a good top bowler, unfortunately lacks the brains to be one.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He has been found out. Same league as M Sami

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He also went for 60 runs in 4 overs against South Africa. He’s never been in favour since that phenta

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just a reminder. That Shinwari averages 18 with 34 wickets in 17 matches and also has the most man of the matches as a pacer since 2011- when Shoaib Akhtar retired. Yet, he misses out on selection.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    221 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would much rather have him as the backup bowler in LOIs than Musa Khan.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3501 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    Chokes too much in T20s but needs to be in the squad as a bench option for ODIs.

Not too convinced regarding his Test match abilities but he has decent FC stats and didn't do much wrong to be dropped from the Test squad. Again, wouldn't mind him too much on the bench.

Crazy how in the midst of discussing Amir's exclusion, no one's even brought up Shinwari at all.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well , Usman Khan Shinwari also took 4 wickets in an "PINK DAY" ODI & was Man of the Match Vs S.Af. in the same tour.
    And this was S.Af 's FIRST EVER,LAST & ONLY defeat in an "PINK DAY" ODI (in Total 7 matches) .

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    He is a well known bottler in tough situations.
    Actually entire Pakistan team does that ---
    (1) in World Cups Vs India
    (2) in Australia ,S. Africa , New Zealand

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well , Usman Khan Shinwari also took 4 wickets in an "PINK DAY" ODI & was Man of the Match Vs S.Af. in the same tour.
    And this was S.Af 's FIRST EVER,LAST & ONLY defeat in an "PINK DAY" ODI (in Total 7 matches) .

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Minnow basher

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah Rabbani View Post
    Minnow basher
    I didn't know that SA and Australia were minnows.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    292 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Respect for what? Just few wicekts against weak opposition. Only notable performances has been against SA. His fitness is an issue too.

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont understand why pakistan only play him against minnows he only has played 6 or 7 matches against good opposition aus and sa and he has done decently well. He might be unlucky not to get more chances but playing most of your matches against minnows and taking heaps of wickets against them dosent earn respect.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His age is the problem. He is neither too young nor too old

His avg against Aus is 27.80 and against SA 25.40 but some posters are still calling him a minnow basher

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Karachi being a generally useless team means he got very badly singled out when they lost matches. He bowled one no ball many years back and that's what the Karachi fan base started abusing him for. Even with a stellar ODI record he was dropped from the world cup squad because of the PSL and that was probably one of the most demoralising things that has happened to him. He has been bowling very well recently though.

Shaheen got all the plaudits in the NT20 but in the games they played ,Shinwari, Imran Khan and Arshad Iqbal were all very good. Shinwari seems to have really worked on his batting too. He's hitting them cleanly and big

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GudduBadmash View Post
    Karachi being a generally useless team means he got very badly singled out when they lost matches. He bowled one no ball many years back and that's what the Karachi fan base started abusing him for. Even with a stellar ODI record he was dropped from the world cup squad because of the PSL and that was probably one of the most demoralising things that has happened to him. He has been bowling very well recently though.

Shaheen got all the plaudits in the NT20 but in the games they played ,Shinwari, Imran Khan and Arshad Iqbal were all very good. Shinwari seems to have really worked on his batting too. He's hitting them cleanly and big
    He was trash for Qalandars too.

Good ODI bowler, but gets discarded because of his T20 thrashings

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRyan10 View Post
    His age is the problem. He is neither too young nor too old

His avg against Aus is 27.80 and against SA 25.40 but some posters are still calling him a minnow basher
    He has poor stamina. Not cut for test cricket. Good for odi I would say in seaming condtions. Terrible T20 bowler.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    471 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Still better than Amir.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahson8 View Post
    He was trash for Qalandars too.

Good ODI bowler, but gets discarded because of his T20 thrashings
    legendary death bowler!

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To me, he is a very good ODI bowler and has the ability to run through a lineup. But also a guy that's venerable to poor performances and leaking a lot of runs. I think he certainly deserves a good run in ODI's and is certainly the better bowler than Rauf/Ashraf/Musa etc right now.

He doesn't seem like a good fit for T20's though just because of how many runs he gives up.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    People find lot of reasons against him for his exclusion.

He is a gun bowler in ODIs and not suited for T20s. Tests didn’t play much but can’t say he is bad , he has good record in FC

Pakistan always had this problem , never judge players potential based on formats.

Did well in PSL, will be selected for ODIs and tests. Did well in tests, will be selected in T20s

Debut
    Dec 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good bowler imo. Certainly goes off the rails at the slightest hint of pressure from what I remember.

Would really need to make some noise at the domestic circuit before getting back into the team imo

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Usman Khan Shinwari with brilliant figures so far of 2/10 in 2 overs in LPL

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Scotland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like him should be in the odi team not sure about t20 though

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hot and cold

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He has excellent performances in odis under his belt , the culture of kicking out a player from one format becuase of failure in other is unprofessional to say the least.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    He has excellent performances in odis under his belt , the culture of kicking out a player from one format becuase of failure in other is unprofessional to say the least.
    Lol Shinwari averages under 20 in ODIs yet he was dropped for Musa who went at 8 an over vs Zimbabwe smh

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he should be in the squad in place of Musa Khan. He has pace, and genuinely has the ability to take wickets. At times, he might go for runs, but same with Musa. He's a more refined bowler compared with Musa, and those ODI stats are good enough to be a rotational player or even take up a spot from Wahab Riaz.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow ...As if the Preferred ones show strength in tough situations ...
    I have seen them shoulders down, panicking and in helpless modes , again & again...
    And I always saw Usman Khan Shinwari fighting i.e. striving ... He is dropped more than 6 times without any solid reasons with such Pathetic logic of "bottler in tough situations" and I saw that UKS fought back into the team with strong performances .
    What you see as a weakness , it is his strength .
    He is a fighter , someone who will attack with twice fury if he is hit .
    I rate him as the bravest of all Pakistan players (esp. Pace Bowlers) . He is wicket taker. He attacks & he always come back with more fury if he is beaten .
    The reason he is disliked or felt not-suitable is bcoz Pakistan cricket is in helplessly defensive state (read cowardness) with no aggression , no competitiveness , full of personal liking & dislikings , fatal defensive approach to matches & series , lack of confidence ,Parchi driven .
    UKS is all fury, energy , power , attack .
    The two doesn't fit together .
    Just imagine it's
    Tuk-Tuk Misbah mentality Vs UKS mentality ....
    Insha Allah , Like Allah removed the hurdles of Inzamam & PCB team , later Sarfaraz and now Misbah from Selection ... I am hopeful PCB & Pak Cricket will move from cowardness to bravery , from defensive approach to aggressive one , & from Parchis like Musa & Rolakattas like Faheem to the deserving, attacking, risk-taker ,prover UKS .
    UKS when gets settled in the team will be the moment when it is confirmed that Pakistan cricket has in reality changed its approach...
    Hope it happens soon ...

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember my Pakistani roommate showed me his first class match performance. He destroyed the opposition. He was swinging the white ball like a banana. Another talent wasted by Pakistan.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    I think he should be in the squad in place of Musa Khan. He has pace, and genuinely has the ability to take wickets. At times, he might go for runs, but same with Musa. He's a more refined bowler compared with Musa, and those ODI stats are good enough to be a rotational player or even take up a spot from Wahab Riaz.
    Don't take me the wrong way but Musa Khan doesn't look cut out for test cricket. He is too short. I remember Ponting bashing Pak team management when he played test cricket vs Aus. He even mentioned this is the worst bowling attack that came to Aus. Ex Aus players talked about whether its worth to invite Pak for test series anymore.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The way he is dropped from test squad without even playing a match on the last tour (Eng) is a bit surprising. Not sure if it was lack of form in the warm ups or practice sessions. I never get it when someone is selected for a particular tour and then is dropped form the next tour without even playing a match. A pretty common occurrence in Pak cricket. A player should be selected for a reason and if he is dropped there should be a reason for that as well.

Hopefully he isnt dropped from the ODIs going forward as his stats are too good sideline him. At around 26 years of age the way he was rested vs Zimbabwe was also surprising as it wasnt like he was a 30 odd year old veteran or someone struggling.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    The way he is dropped from test squad without even playing a match on the last tour (Eng) is a bit surprising. Not sure if it was lack of form in the warm ups or practice sessions. I never get it when someone is selected for a particular tour and then is dropped form the next tour without even playing a match. A pretty common occurrence in Pak cricket. A player should be selected for a reason and if he is dropped there should be a reason for that as well.

Hopefully he isnt dropped from the ODIs going forward as his stats are too good sideline him. At around 26 years of age the way he was rested vs Zimbabwe was also surprising as it wasnt like he was a 30 odd year old veteran or someone struggling.
    Could it be the conditions ?

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shinwari has really been bowling very well in the past few T20 he has played whether it is the NT20 or the LPL.

I think the best way for Shinwari to get selected again is a match winning cameo with the bat.

He has improved this facet of his game. Clean hitter of the ball. It travels a mile

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post
    Don't take me the wrong way but Musa Khan doesn't look cut out for test cricket. He is too short. I remember Ponting bashing Pak team management when he played test cricket vs Aus. He even mentioned this is the worst bowling attack that came to Aus. Ex Aus players talked about whether its worth to invite Pak for test series anymore.
    Yeah Musa Khan is probably the most unfinished product out of the current young pacers we have. His selection is not on the basis of merit, and his spot should have been given to someone who performed in the past, like Shinwari.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shinwari...Tabish khan n Waqas Maqsood deserve more chances in place of the 3 Khan's....sohel imran musa

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    509 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    Could it be the conditions ?
    If would have been Aus or SA tour, it might have been understandable but, NZ could have been a suitable place for Shinwari considering his type of bowling. He might not even have been selected in the XI but, still could have been in the squad. Can bit management bit of leeway because they have had to announce combined squads so it becomes difficult maintain balance of two formats in the squad.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naseem View Post
    Shinwari...Tabish khan n Waqas Maqsood deserve more chances in place of the 3 Khan's....sohel imran musa
    What happened to Sohail Khan? I was expecting him to replace over the hill Abbas in test team.

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Only someone like shahid afridi could drop an akhtar for a wahab
    Usman is too similar to wahab to get into the team
    We need more variation than to have 2 riaz's in one side

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles"

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    If would have been Aus or SA tour, it might have been understandable but, NZ could have been a suitable place for Shinwari considering his type of bowling. He might not even have been selected in the XI but, still could have been in the squad. Can bit management bit of leeway because they have had to announce combined squads so it becomes difficult maintain balance of two formats in the squad.
    Yeah i agree he would have been decent in new Zealand

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Shinwari is a horrible death bowler. He keeps getting used in that role by his T20 teams and it never pays off. People hate him now as a result. In truth, he should be given the new ball and middle overs only, and not come anywhere near the last 6 overs.

Heís a quite good ODI and Test bowler, but we have others ahead of him in the pecking order and he isnít even trying to put his name in the ring.

Case in point, playing LPL instead of first class cricket where he could be competing for best pacer to throw his name back in the ring.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    2/20 in 2 overs in the final of LPL - well done to UKS

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2007
    Venue
    New York
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Shinwari is a horrible death bowler. He keeps getting used in that role by his T20 teams and it never pays off. People hate him now as a result. In truth, he should be given the new ball and middle overs only, and not come anywhere near the last 6 overs.

Heís a quite good ODI and Test bowler, but we have others ahead of him in the pecking order and he isnít even trying to put his name in the ring.

Case in point, playing LPL instead of first class cricket where he could be competing for best pacer to throw his name back in the ring.
    yeah because our first class cricket performances have such a big reputation of helping players get selected to the national team .... /sarcasm

if im Usman Khan Shinwari i would not hesitate to play in LPL over first class cricket. LPL is televised and as a result performances are actually acknowledged.

Usman has been sensational in ODI, and his t20 performances are getting better and better as his career progresses. he is also becoming good at power hitting, which is something limited overs teams always need since many matches often come down to the batting ability of number 9

If he keeps this up his time will come. Then again i never underestimate the ignorance of our selectors....

if you are not attacking you are defending. And if you are defending you are losing.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1421 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IM NOT YOU View Post
    yeah because our first class cricket performances have such a big reputation of helping players get selected to the national team .... /sarcasm

if im Usman Khan Shinwari i would not hesitate to play in LPL over first class cricket. LPL is televised and as a result performances are actually acknowledged.

Usman has been sensational in ODI, and his t20 performances are getting better and better as his career progresses. he is also becoming good at power hitting, which is something limited overs teams always need since many matches often come down to the batting ability of number 9

If he keeps this up his time will come. Then again i never underestimate the ignorance of our selectors....
    First Class cricket is now televised. And performances are now being acknowledged. Just note the buzz Hassan Ali is generating these days - no one is talking about Shinwari.