"This 'parchi' tag angers me - especially when people say Usman Qadir is a parchi" : Wasim Akram

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"This 'parchi' tag angers me - especially when people say Usman Qadir is a parchi" : Wasim Akram

Wasim Akram after today's performance by Usman Qadir

"Sometimes this 'parchi' tag angers me - especially when people say he [Usman Qadir] is a parchi"

"This is not cricket being played in some neighbourhood - 'Yeh muhallay kee cricket naheen hai' - here, if someone is good enough, he will play for Pakistan"

"Have you seen his variations today? Ok, this was an inexperienced opposition but the variation are there, the leg-break is there; The googly is there, the flipper is there and he's got control"

"I mean people are comparing him with Shadab who is a different kind of cricketer altogether, he is an all-rounder"

"This guy [Usman] is a genuine leg-spin bowler; Look at his googly and leg-break; The googly comes from the back of the hand - a very difficult delivery to bowl and he was turning the ball both ways today and that troubled the batsmen"

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 2796
Size:  49.3 KB

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is an absolute parchi. The best example of one since Junaid Zia. He has the most mediocre of records and has still managed to make his way into top clasa cricket because of his surname. His privilege is such that he openly abandoned playing for Pakistan yet still made his way back.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2972 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    He is an absolute parchi. The best example of one since Junaid Zia. He has the most mediocre of records and has still managed to make his way into top clasa cricket because of his surname. His privilege is such that he openly abandoned playing for Pakistan yet still made his way back.
    So you missed Wasim's comments totally?

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    So you missed Wasim's comments totally?
    I dont take Wasims comments seriously here. Forget the variations for a second, Qadir has played barely any domestic cricket, where he has played he has been mediocre and then despite his mediocrity threw a tantrum at not being selected.

After all of that he still finds his way into the side. Its classic parchism despite what Wasim says.

Qadir will get smashed into the stands when he plays proper international teams, exactly as he he did in the BBL and almost everywhere else he played.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    No he isnt. The guy also bowled well in the recent T20 competition and did well last year. Today he has shown why he is in the team. He has a long way to go, his fitness is a big issue and he needs to lose weight, at least a stone. But a good start and deserved selection

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I dont take Wasims comments seriously here. Forget the variations for a second, Qadir has played barely any domestic cricket, where he has played he has been mediocre and then despite his mediocrity threw a tantrum at not being selected.

After all of that he still finds his way into the side. Its classic parchism despite what Wasim says.

Qadir will get smashed into the stands when he plays proper international teams, exactly as he he did in the BBL and almost everywhere else he played.
    He may get smashed but that has happened to many before him and many after him will get the treatment. Today he bowled well and I am hoping he kicks on.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Venue
    Alberta
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thing is he needs to prove himself in domestics before playing for pakistan. He has totally struggled in domestics and the only reason he is in the team is because of Misbah’s friendship with his late legend father

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The question is with their lack of domestic cricket would the likes of azam khan, usman qadir and imam ul haq get the chance to play at such a high level so quickly in their career ie psl, intnl cricket etc if they werent sons / relatives of famous ex players?

I dont think so

Debut
    May 2012
    Venue
    Birmingham, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ahmedzee View Post
    Thing is he needs to prove himself in domestics before playing for pakistan. He has totally struggled in domestics and the only reason he is in the team is because of Misbah’s friendship with his late legend father
    Usman is also a related to the Akmals if I remember correctly, Umar Akmal is late Abdul Qadirs son in law?
    Maybe Babar Azam has something to do with selection also?

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    No he isnt. The guy also bowled well in the recent T20 competition and did well last year. Today he has shown why he is in the team. He has a long way to go, his fitness is a big issue and he needs to lose weight, at least a stone. But a good start and deserved selection
    How is it deserved? Hes been fast tracked on the basis of his name He has no domestic performances to speak of

There are players grinding themselves in domestics years after year with performances Where is the incentive for them if others on the basis of an odd competition leap ahead of them?

Are we going to pick every player based on performances solely on a recent Psl or national cup?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Time will tell.

Too early to say how Usman's career will develop.

Also Wasim and co were close to Usman's father.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    How is it deserved? Hes been fast tracked on the basis of his name He has no domestic performances to speak of

There are players grinding themselves in domestics years after year with performances Where is the incentive for them if others on the basis of an odd competition leap ahead of them?

Are we going to pick every player based on performances solely on a recent Psl or national cup?
    On what basis has Abdullah Shafiq been selected?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Time will tell.

Too early to say how Usman's career will develop.

Also Wasim and co were close to Usman's father.
    There is a dearth of good spinners in PK, he has talent and today he showed up. He has a long way to and lots of hard work. The positives were that he spun the ball both ways and with decent control and looked better than Shadab has done in the last year, the areas to work include his fitness, at least a stone overweight and his pace. Harder tests await and he will get mullered by some batsman but that happen to any spinner.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    BTW I agree with his selection

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    he is not a parchi in traditional sense, if he was a parchi hed have been selected when his dad was alive, however there are lots of ppl in pak cricket circles who have massive respect for his dad, and given his demise, qadirs path to the senior team has definitely been made easier than other players who have toiled in domestics.

as with all things in life the answer is neither here nor there, but somewhere down the middle.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The question is with their lack of domestic cricket would the likes of azam khan, usman qadir and imam ul haq get the chance to play at such a high level so quickly in their career ie psl, intnl cricket etc if they werent sons / relatives of famous ex players?

I dont think so
    Imam played very well in u19 wc. In ODI's, his selection was justified even though I don't like the guy much. In tests, he was called in early too soon.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is something very likeable about him. He hasnt played to his full potential. I think he will surprise us.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well he played in BBL, not sure if Australians sign oversees players based on contacts.
    He doesn't have good stats, isn't likely to become a successor to Yasir in Tests, but he does have a good leg break. His game sense and mind isn't really there yet. But he has a better stock leg spinner than shadab.

Needs a lot of (A LOT OF) practice on his control. Only practice will develop his mind as a bowler. No alternative for that.

But he is a fine prospect in terms of t20s. May well get smashed around by England, Australia and NZ with where he stands now as a bowler.
    Needs to play domestic cricket more.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the question to ask is whether he deserved h

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First time I saw him and I am impressed. He was able to give air to the ball in a format like t20, tells you he is pretty confident with his skills. The ball had a nice dip before pitching, would love to see him in the longer format.

I have heard Misbah say in the past we don't have enough quality spinners in the domestic circle which might have something to do with his quick path to international cricket.
    Last edited by Ozeirk; 9th November 2020 at 00:18.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He can spin the ball more than Shadab from what little i have seen of him against zimboks, long way for him to prove his worth tho.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Did he do better than other spinners in the last two tournaments you are mentioning?

If not, then why was he selected ahead of them? Post-selection performance does not justify the nepotism that brought him there in the first place.

I am glad he is performing as a performing nepotistic selection is better than a non-performing nepotistic selection.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozeirk View Post
    First time I saw him and I am impressed. He was able to give air to the ball in a format like t20, tells you he is pretty confident with his skills. The ball had a nice dip before pitching, would love to see him in the longer format.

I have heard Misbah say in the past we don't have enough quality spinners in the domestic circle which might have something to do with his quick path to international cricket.
    Zafar Gohar, the other person on the bench, was man of the tournament last year. In any other system, he would have played before Usman Qadir got a chance.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7869 Post(s)
    Tagged
    41 Thread(s)
    Usman Qadir is a nothing bowler and he was given a reality-check by Australia.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Zafar Gohar, the other person on the bench, was man of the tournament last year. In any other system, he would have played before Usman Qadir got a chance.
    Usman is probably a better T20 option. Legspinners are generally more threatening than any other spin type in this format. Zafar should play over in Tests & ODIs though

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On the basis of two major performances, both debut FC and debut T20 - I am happy he is noticed because I am a big fan, but I am unhappy that he was fast tracked before he even got one full season of first class cricket under his belt (which Haider Ali has).

Similarly, Qadir was selected prematurely - if he was that good (as fans of him believe in him similar to how I believe in Abdullah Shafique) then he would have performed really well if left in domestics for one more year.

He tops the charts and we have a deal.

Meanwhile Zafar Gohar (in for Qadir) and Saud Shakeel/Sami Aslam/Imran Butt (in for Abdullah) have put in those hard yards but fail to get noticed.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahson8 View Post
    Usman is probably a better T20 option. Legspinners are generally more threatening than any other spin type in this format. Zafar should play over in Tests & ODIs though
    I have a nagging feeling Usman Qadir will play ODI cricket before Zafar Gohar.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Its definitely possible

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he do better than other spinners in the last two tournaments you are mentioning?

If not, then why was he selected ahead of them? Post-selection performance does not justify the nepotism that brought him there in the first place.

I am glad he is performing as a performing nepotistic selection is better than a non-performing nepotistic selection.
    Zahid mehmood says hi

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2273 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Zafar Gohar made his One Day International debut for Pakistan against England on 17 November 2015

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    On the basis of two major performances, both debut FC and debut T20 - I am happy he is noticed because I am a big fan, but I am unhappy that he was fast tracked before he even got one full season of first class cricket under his belt (which Haider Ali has).

Similarly, Qadir was selected prematurely - if he was that good (as fans of him believe in him similar to how I believe in Abdullah Shafique) then he would have performed really well if left in domestics for one more year.

He tops the charts and we have a deal.

Meanwhile Zafar Gohar (in for Qadir) and Saud Shakeel/Sami Aslam/Imran Butt (in for Abdullah) have put in those hard yards but fail to get noticed.
    Selections are judgements and some are right and some will be wrong. Qadir along with rest of the spinners is pretty average. He showed today that he has something, whether he kicks on or not will depend on how much work he puts in. As far Zafar is concerned, he looked very good 6 years ago and since then has gone backwards. He even struggled for Warwickshire 2nds.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is 27 and has only 13 FC behind him. leggies develop their skill by playing season after season of FC cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    While I was surprised by his skill, let's be honest he didn't deserve to make the squad on merit.

In his current state, Qadir will get hit all over the place by better teams. But I do think you could work on him over the next 2-3 years and create a somewhat threatening T20 bowler. Nothing more than that. Is this something Pakistan wants to do? Are there other spinners that are already better prepared?

If Pakistani selectors/coaches think this version of Qadir will do well, that's not happening. Each over had at least 2-3 bad deliveries that a quality batsman would send into the stands.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Zafar Gohar made his One Day International debut for Pakistan against England on 17 November 2015
    Next, that is. Usman Qadir will play ODI cricket before Zafar Gohar - this would be unfair but seems to be on the cards now.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Selections are judgements and some are right and some will be wrong. Qadir along with rest of the spinners is pretty average. He showed today that he has something, whether he kicks on or not will depend on how much work he puts in. As far Zafar is concerned, he looked very good 6 years ago and since then has gone backwards. He even struggled for Warwickshire 2nds.
    Dominating Pak’s domestic charts does not equate to going backwards. I am sure if him or Zahid Mehmood or really anyone from Pak’s top 5-10 spinners such as Umer Khan, played today, we would be writing social media posts about them and not Qadir.
    Last edited by Thunderbolt14; 9th November 2020 at 02:18.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I like Zafar Gohar too, but he is not really competing with Usman Qadir. He would be competing with Imad and Nawaz. I do think he has been hard done by, but nothing to do with Qadir.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know if Qadir is there because of nepotism or not. But the facts are hard to ignore.

1. Atrocious domestic record.

2. Related to Babar (Umar Akmal's brother in law).

3. Plays for the same domestic team.

4. Didn't light up the recent T20 Tournament.

5. Taking the place of a more in form and younger/better Shadab Khan.

So it's easy to argue that Qadir's selection is undeserving.

Now I can also understand why Wasim would defend his selection. Wasim played with and I am sure was pals with the late great Abdul Qadir. And nobody will want their friend's kids to be maligned especially after the dad has passed away.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On second thought and having seen his domestic performances. This can't be anything but nepotism.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePalestine View Post
    I like Zafar Gohar too, but he is not really competing with Usman Qadir. He would be competing with Imad and Nawaz. I do think he has been hard done by, but nothing to do with Qadir.
    In this particular game, with a 4-1 attack, Zafar Gohar was competing with Usman Qadir. They made a conscious decision to give Qadir the debut over giving Zafar Gohar a game.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyG View Post
    I don't know if Qadir is there because of nepotism or not. But the facts are hard to ignore.

1. Atrocious domestic record.

2. Related to Babar (Umar Akmal's brother in law).

3. Plays for the same domestic team.

4. Didn't light up the recent T20 Tournament.

5. Taking the place of a more in form and younger/better Shadab Khan.

So it's easy to argue that Qadir's selection is undeserving.

Now I can also understand why Wasim would defend his selection. Wasim played with and I am sure was pals with the late great Abdul Qadir. And nobody will want their friend's kids to be maligned especially after the dad has passed away.
    Shadab is injured and is also the Vice Captain of the LOI teams. Qadir will likely be dropped once he's fit again. Agree with the rest.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the series won and if Gohar doesn't get this final game and Qadir does again, and especially if Qadir gets another 2-3 wickets, then Pakistan are probably gonna role with Shadab-Imad-Qadir as the spin department in LOIs and Gohar being dropped (at least that's what it looks like to me).

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2703 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Does Parchi mean a beneficiary of nepotism? I can't speak any Asian languages!

I would like to disagree with Wasim Akram though.

Shadab Khan is a batting all-rounder like Mushtaq Mohammad or Shahid Afridi (in his Test career).

Usman Qadir is a better bowler, sure, but he is also a very decent batsman in Australian or South African conditions, as he showed in grade cricket in Adelaide.....

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In this particular game, with a 4-1 attack, Zafar Gohar was competing with Usman Qadir. They made a conscious decision to give Qadir the debut over giving Zafar Gohar a game.
    Usman Qadir is playing because we do not have a specialist leg spinner in limited overs cricket, and our test legspinner is also declining fast. Zafar Gohar can fulfill neither of those roles. So he is competing with Imad and Nawaz in LOI cricket.. agree he should get more of a go but he is definitely not competing with Qadir for a spot. Completely different roles.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I watched a lot of IPL and assessed the leg spinners in there. I believe the IPL can definitely boast about the quality of Indian batsmen and the quality of Indian leg spinners, they have 6-7 leg spinners who are all better than Shadab to say the least.

The control they have is brilliant, plus the pace they bowl it and the variations of pace are exceptional. Nearly all of them have a googly, some disguise their wrongun better than the others. But easily the best leg spinner in the IPL was Chahal, I think his googly is the most difficult to pick, I could be wrong but from what I saw, his googly would deceive the audience as much as it would the batsman facing it. Now that is a seriously good wrongun.

So it is great to watch a leg spinner bowl for Pakistan during this phase and to see if he is comparable to the excellent leg spinners in the IPL. In this regard, let’s see the boxes Qadir ticks or doesn’t tick:

1. Control: I would say Qadir has one bad ball every 8-9 balls. He bowled a lot to Wesley Madhavere who is extremely good at picking up the short length, and he was rightly punished for 2 sixes against him in the 2 outings due to his poor long hops. But Qadir does make up with some excellent control once he starts landing them in the drive zone with the revs he throws in.

2. Speed: I didn’t see anything wrong with it, perfect pace for a leg spinner.

3. Variation: this is where I personally think Qadir is special. So he has a good googly, but I did not see a single leg spinner in the IPL turn their wrongun as much as I saw Qadir turn his. This is his biggest strength as a bowler. He could literally bowl off spin as a bowler with what wrongun of his. It must be through genetics passed down by his father.

I can honestly say that I did not see a leg spinner for a long, long time anywhere who has this much turn on a wrongun! Please tell me if I am missing something here or I am over exaggerating?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    478 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wasim however is right

You will and should play for Pakistan if you are good enough. If you are winning games for us, we wouldn’t care if you are the son of Qaid-e-Azam or the son of a nobody

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FreePalestine View Post
    Usman Qadir is playing because we do not have a specialist leg spinner in limited overs cricket, and our test legspinner is also declining fast. Zafar Gohar can fulfill neither of those roles. So he is competing with Imad and Nawaz in LOI cricket.. agree he should get more of a go but he is definitely not competing with Qadir for a spot. Completely different roles.
    I disagree with this completely. There is no rule in cricket that a team must at all times play a leg spinner. You win games by playing your best players, no matter if they are a leggie or offie. For years our main odi bowler was Ajmal, and we felt no need to play a leg spinner with him.

The question is, is Qadir the best back up option when you are looking to give youngsters a chance (i.e. you are deliberately not playing Shadab and Imam to see what the other talent is like)? The answer is no - Qadir is nowhere near our best back up. Zafar Gohar clearly is, but he doesn't get selected. Qadir's name probably does have a lot to do with that.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    Does Parchi mean a beneficiary of nepotism? I can't speak any Asian languages!

I would like to disagree with Wasim Akram though.

Shadab Khan is a batting all-rounder like Mushtaq Mohammad or Shahid Afridi (in his Test career).

Usman Qadir is a better bowler, sure, but he is also a very decent batsman in Australian or South African conditions, as he showed in grade cricket in Adelaide.....
    Yes! Parchi explicitly means “slip of paper” or “receipt” in Urdu and Hindi, but is used as slang to signify beneficiaries of nepotism.

Before Qadir, Faisal Iqbal, Shan Masood, and Imam ul Haq have all had this label attached to them.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In national T20 cup 2019, he got 5 wickets in 4 matches with an economy of 7.31 (Best after Zahid Mehmood). In national T20 cup 2020 he took 10 wickets in 9 matches and had almost similar stats to Zahid Mehmood and both were the best leggies after Shadab in the tournament.

Thing is he is selected in T20I as of now. He wont be the first player entering international cricket on the basis upon T20 performances. If he had nothing to back his selection than that could have been questioned but, he did well in domestic T20s in last couple of years.

Also how many options do we have as leggies with exceptional domestic record?
    Last edited by Titan24; 9th November 2020 at 07:14.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching him bowl , I feel test cricket would be most suited for his type of bowling.

He gives the ball a lot of air which the bigger teams will take advantage of.

But he does have good control and good variations , could be an asset in the longer format of the game

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is like kuldeep. He can be good if you use him as a surprise weapon.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Except no one said he's a parchi, he is just not a international level player.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    In national T20 cup 2019, he got 5 wickets in 4 matches with an economy of 7.31 (Best after Zahid Mehmood). In national T20 cup 2020 he took 10 wickets in 9 matches and had almost similar stats to Zahid Mehmood and both were the best leggies after Shadab in the tournament.

Thing is he is selected in T20I as of now. He wont be the first player entering international cricket on the basis upon T20 performances. If he had nothing to back his selection than that could have been questioned but, he did well in domestic T20s in last couple of years.

Also how many options do we have as leggies with exceptional domestic record?
    Theres no hard rule that says you must play a leg spinner come what may like one poster as already said Other teams that dont have good leggies play a finger spinner

You play your best spinner in the team and that is gohar There seems to be preoccupation with leggies lately for some bizarre reason

And even if we are looking to play another spinner surely we should be trying an alternative different bowler to shadab who as vc will be one of the first names on the sheet not one whos very similar

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Theres no hard rule that says you must play a leg spinner come what may like one poster as already said Other teams that dont have good leggies play a finger spinner

You play your best spinner in the team and that is gohar There seems to be preoccupation with leggies lately for some bizarre reason

And even if we are looking to play another spinner surely we should be trying an alternative different bowler to shadab who as vc will be one of the first names on the sheet not one whos very similar
    Precisely! They developed a backup to Shadab, not a backup to Imad!

One is way younger than the other and is also vice captain, it’s so easy to spot who needs a backup more!

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    People need to look past parchi players. The only proper parchi player I've ever seen is Junaid Zia. And when you don't have the talent and skill to last at the international level, you will get dropped like what happened to Junaid Zia.

Right now, Usman Qadir is bearing the brunt of this parchi tag. Why do we do this? What good comes off it? If he's not good enough at the international level, he will be found out and will be dropped. Why do we have to make it an issue. I thought he bowled really well in the last T20 and should be backed considering we have Shadab as the other leg-spinner who hardly does anything with the ball.

And if people here are calling out parchi because they feel like there are more deserving players out there, then have a look around at your society. When you need a job despite there being better candidates than you, don't you go around calling people to get your CV in and try to get you a job? There you conveniently call it "networking" but when a cricketer wants a push, it's called parchi. Hypocritical.

Also we need to look past stats when selecting players. Just because Zahid Mehmood may have gotten more wickets than Usman Qadir doesn't mean Zahid is better overall for the team. Maybe he is much more of a team player than Zahid. Maybe he bats well than Zahid. Maybe he takes instructions from coaches better. There are a lot of other factors which need to be assessed before passing someone off as a parchi. Again when you interview for a job, at least here in the West, they place more weight to your qualitative ability than just your quantitative skill levels. It should be the same for cricketers. Why Brad Hodge never got a run in the Australian team. He was much better as a batsman than Damien Martyn. But selections happen on a holistic level.

So let's leave out Usman Qadir as a parchi. Nobody should be called like that. It doesn't benefit anyone. I don't think he's a great bowler and probably will be tonked against the big boys but he's still better than Shadab bowling at 96kph without turning the ball either way.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with you he bowled well in national cup has all the deliveries and deserved selection

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Next, that is. Usman Qadir will play ODI cricket before Zafar Gohar - this would be unfair but seems to be on the cards now.
    I think if imad is playing in the odis then gohar shouldn't play similarly if shadab is playing and imad isnt then I'd play gohar like for like replacement if unfit

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shariqnoor View Post
    People need to look past parchi players. The only proper parchi player I've ever seen is Junaid Zia. And when you don't have the talent and skill to last at the international level, you will get dropped like what happened to Junaid Zia.

Right now, Usman Qadir is bearing the brunt of this parchi tag. Why do we do this? What good comes off it? If he's not good enough at the international level, he will be found out and will be dropped. Why do we have to make it an issue. I thought he bowled really well in the last T20 and should be backed considering we have Shadab as the other leg-spinner who hardly does anything with the ball.

And if people here are calling out parchi because they feel like there are more deserving players out there, then have a look around at your society. When you need a job despite there being better candidates than you, don't you go around calling people to get your CV in and try to get you a job? There you conveniently call it "networking" but when a cricketer wants a push, it's called parchi. Hypocritical.

Also we need to look past stats when selecting players. Just because Zahid Mehmood may have gotten more wickets than Usman Qadir doesn't mean Zahid is better overall for the team. Maybe he is much more of a team player than Zahid. Maybe he bats well than Zahid. Maybe he takes instructions from coaches better. There are a lot of other factors which need to be assessed before passing someone off as a parchi. Again when you interview for a job, at least here in the West, they place more weight to your qualitative ability than just your quantitative skill levels. It should be the same for cricketers. Why Brad Hodge never got a run in the Australian team. He was much better as a batsman than Damien Martyn. But selections happen on a holistic level.

So let's leave out Usman Qadir as a parchi. Nobody should be called like that. It doesn't benefit anyone. I don't think he's a great bowler and probably will be tonked against the big boys but he's still better than Shadab bowling at 96kph without turning the ball either way.
    Junaid Zia was selected by Amir Sohail ahead of Abdul Rauf back in 2003. To this day, it is the worst ever selection for PK. Amir Sohail has blackened his name forever and the less said about the role of Tauqir Zia the better. Who besides this horror decision done a decent job at the PCB.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Usman View Post
    I disagree with this completely. There is no rule in cricket that a team must at all times play a leg spinner. You win games by playing your best players, no matter if they are a leggie or offie. For years our main odi bowler was Ajmal, and we felt no need to play a leg spinner with him.

The question is, is Qadir the best back up option when you are looking to give youngsters a chance (i.e. you are deliberately not playing Shadab and Imam to see what the other talent is like)? The answer is no - Qadir is nowhere near our best back up. Zafar Gohar clearly is, but he doesn't get selected. Qadir's name probably does have a lot to do with that.
    Ajmal had a special delivery hence why he had success would he be successful if he didnt have that delivery.you need variations in your attack hence why I would pick qadir over gohar if imad is playing and if shadab is playing I'd play gohar

Debut
    May 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Anyone related to the akmals will have that tag so he is doubly cursed
    Hopefully akram will take him under his wings

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He gets called a purchi because of him being favored for Zahid Mehmood who has a much better record than him. However, i think if he works more with Imran Tahir he will only get better and i can see him being a crucial wicket taker. I reckon he's not a bad bowler and do see his bowling/variations making batsmen struggle and i especially envision him doing well against SL.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    641 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so sure of what to make out of this statement, as baring his career best 3/23 in the 2nd T20I against Zimbabwe 2 days back, he really has not done much note worthy in his cricket career so far which has mostly been a stop start career of sorts when you look at the amount of cricket he has played so far.

He's 27 now and has not even played 50 games in a single format so far and his perfomances in all 3 are not worthy of his selection, just about ok in T20 and he has been selected due to 1-2 performances in the recently concluded National T20 cup despite that his career best T20 figures came against Zimbabwe that too a 3 wicket haul.

He does have a decent googly and did deceive some Zimbabweans especially the new 20 year old Wesley Madhawere who was playing for the first time.

He does bowl a lot of trash deliveries in between just like his mentor Imran Tahir and that is something that good teams will look to smash out of the park as Zimbabwe are not a team to be rating his bowling against at all.

Now that he has played the first 2 games, he should also play the last one which I am sure he will especially after his performance and then see where it takes him as I am not sure when the next T20 series is or if it does come in NZ then I do not see him being played ahead of Shadab/Imad in those conditions;

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That parchi tag not looking well for some posters right now. I just don't get why people resort to that. He bowled beautifully today. I maintain that he's still not someone who would mightily trouble the big boys but he's a massive upgrade over Shadab. Shadab has no business being in the team for his leg-spin (or lack of it). And Shadab also knows how trash his leg-spin bowling is which is why he's gone the Shoaib Malik route and tried to become a batter.

Pakistan have some ridiculous people sitting at the top who think that Shadab and Imad are your two spinners who can win you the World Cup. I would 100% take Usman Qadir to the World Cup over Shadab.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That parchi tag not looking well for some posters right now. I just don't get why people resort to that. He bowled beautifully today. I maintain that he's still not someone who would mightily trouble the big boys but he's a massive upgrade over Shadab. Shadab has no business being in the team for his leg-spin (or lack of it). And Shadab also knows how trash his leg-spin bowling is which is why he's gone the Shoaib Malik route and tried to become a batter.

Pakistan have some ridiculous people sitting at the top who think that Shadab and Imad are your two spinners who can win you the World Cup. I would 100% take Usman Qadir to the World Cup over Shadab.
    Whether he’s good or not, he is there because of his dad. I admire Qadir’s bowling today but let’s be honest if he was just another leggie he probably wouldn’t have been selected out of the blue like this.

Like I said earlier, it’s better to have a parchi who is really good than a parchi who is average. Let’s hope Qadir turns out to be really good. So far he has done well. But I will wait for him to play more first class as well as be tested against better teams than Zimbabwe.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shadab is much better than qadir not sure how you can state he has no business being in the team.but he can replace shadab hes hes injuired shadab can bat azwell

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Wasim will surely defend this guy.

Usman is a nothing bowler. Shocking how he's playing for PAK.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Na he's not a parchi. He has a wonderful head on those shoulders. Literally.

In merit vs potential, potential usually causes the greatest heartbreak

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Would Qadir be playing for PK if he wasn't the son of Abdul? If the answer is no, then the answer is yes.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems hes a good mate of babar azam No wonder he keeps being selected even tho he fails to perform 9 times out of 10

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    543 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    The only real positive with his ability, is the amount of turn he can extract. Other than that, nothing.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He is a parchi.

Usman qadir isnt good enough, his accuracy isnt there. Spinning isnt the issue, a leg spinners weapon is his accuracy. Usman qadir ended up copying his fathers action just for the sake of idolization but couldnt master the actual action. He ends up either throwing beamers or short pitch stuff.

He does look dangerous when he bowls at the right area cause he has the spin.

Cause of this reason, he doesnt get picked by domestic teams and only warms benches. Even in psl he doesnt fet picked.

In national team, he gets picked due to being babars close buddy. Ever since his father passed away and babar became captain, he submits his name to be picked.

I dont have issue with captain picking their favourites, but that favourite should be good enough.

Qadir wouldnt be able to play even first class if it wasnt for his fathers name.

He needs to change his run up to make sure he lands well enough to be accurate

Pompei is an example of Liberalism gone mad- Technics1210

And we thought it was plate tectonics

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfit and cant perform. Shadab will be back, so things will be normal again.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by b.lesner View Post
    Zahid mehmood says hi
    Zahid mehmood should be given chances by Pakistan. Has been doing very well domestically across formats

U Qadir is poor bowler, who throws short balls and full tosses for fun. Got away a few times, git hit other times today alone

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Same old story , isn't accurate enough to represent national side

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KyoOne View Post
    Zahid mehmood should be given chances by Pakistan. Has been doing very well domestically across formats

U Qadir is poor bowler, who throws short balls and full tosses for fun. Got away a few times, git hit other times today alone
    No room for a specialist leg spinner. Don't know why Usman was selected for Asia cup.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    864 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Imad Wasim is much better than this Usman Qadir guy.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    705 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TeymurBlake View Post
    The only real positive with his ability, is the amount of turn he can extract. Other than that, nothing.
    An ability to spin the bowl but with no control for 4 balls out of 6. Therein lies the problem

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    526 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    A sports reporter made a good point i.e. you can't keep a guy benched for months and then expect him to bowl splendidly in just one game. That said this is Pakistan, you have to make full use of your opportunities.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    A sports reporter made a good point i.e. you can't keep a guy benched for months and then expect him to bowl splendidly in just one game. That said this is Pakistan, you have to make full use of your opportunities.
    This is in general, the eternal problem with Pakistan. We’ve never understood how to rotate smartly. Some are given too long a rope whilst others sit on the bench for months. Saud Shakeel and Haider are examples of this

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    home
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Why do we judge our representatives on the same ideals that we judge ourselves or the people around us? In a country of 220 million, these guys are supposed to be the best in their respective fields.

Stop making excuses for Imran Khan (politician) and take him to task for not delivering.
    Stop making excuses for Muhammad Amir (cricketer) and shame him for selling his country.
    Stop making excuses for Usman Qadir (parchi) and call him out for inaccurate bowling.

At least Imam-ul-Haq is a decent parchi.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    He is a parchi indeed. He keeps getting selected due to friendship with Babar and reputation of his father. He is not even good enough to play as a 2nd spinner in any Australian first class teams. But in Pakistan a player doesn't need to prove himself to play for national team.