Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"Babar Azam looks like a million dollar player" : Ravichandran Ashwin

Inzi speaking with Ashwin on a YouTube chat:

Ashwin asked this question:

"There is a top quality player who has become part of the Pakistan side after a long time - his name is Babar Azam; What do you think about Babar Azam? Babar Azam looks like a million dollar player; He batted well in England and made a 100 in Australia; One really feels good when one sees Babar - he is a treat for the eyes - what do you think of Babar Azam, Inzi Bhai?"

Inzamam:

"Babar Azam is a great player; After a long time, I have seen a batsman like him who is a natural stroke-player; When I was Chief Selector, Babar wasnt performing that well in Tests and there was a lot of pressure on us to drop him but I felt that this was not possible as he was a such a good player"

Other Inzamam quotes:

"I might be wrong but the fact is that Babar is yet to perform to his true potential; He needs to perform better than he is doing now; He has God Given talent in the way he has been blessed with a great eye [whilst batting], how his hands move while he bats, his timing - all of these mean that he should be able to perform better than what he does now"

"A batsman is at the peak of his skills after he has played 7-8 years in international cricker; So I feel he has yet to peak and he should rise to higher heights"

"If you ask any kid in Pakistan about who they want be become when they grow up, they will say I want to be like Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis or Shoaib Akhtar - our children have the passion 'janoon' of becoming pace-bowlers"

"No kid will say I want to become Saeed Anwar, Javed Miandad or Babar Azam - no one says that"

"It wasnt difficult to handle Shahid Afridi as a captain but the fact is that he had his own style of thinking; Shahid was not a rude person but if I told Shahid please play slowly and dont play big shots and to play cautiously based on team position- then he would find that difficult to do"

"I spoke a lot of times with him about this but he just said look I cannot control myself; I even play the big shots when I dont want to in my mind; So seems there were things which werent in his own control"

"Those who do Yes Sir to the captain all the time cannot be superstars or great players; That's because great players have their own style of thinking"
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th November 2020 at 17:47.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Nice of Ashwin to praise Babar.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Nice of Ashwin to praise Babar.
    He praised couple of times during Australia series.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post complete video if you have.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Babar deserves it.

Also, Ashwin as a cricketing intellectual is immensely underrated. On the contrary he has received needless hate from people ever since he started playing for his bowling action and being a bold and opinionated competitor.

Yes, mankading will always polarize the cricketing world. Apart from that Ashwin is a cricket genius who should be respected.

I see a future coach, mentor, commentator or administrator in him.

Ashwin as a leader also underrated.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Ash would have been a better captain than Kohli, at least in Test, where he is a borderline ATG. I see him in a very successful career in coaching/administration or cricket media after retirement. Wonít break Kumbleís record any more but can end up with 500+ wickets & 4000+ runs. Already has staggering 27/7 5for/10for.

And he talks lots of sense - donít go through motions while talking.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Babar wasnt performing that well in Tests and there was a lot of pressure on us to drop him but I felt that this was not possible as he was a such a good player"

This, this and THIS!

This is so so under-rated. But full credit to Mickey-Inzi for this, people were calling for Babar's head after his initial failures but these legends didnt relent and held on. Thankyou!

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Babar deserves it.

Also, Ashwin as a cricketing intellectual is immensely underrated. On the contrary he has received needless hate from people ever since he started playing for his bowling action and being a bold and opinionated competitor.

Yes, mankading will always polarize the cricketing world. Apart from that Ashwin is a cricket genius who should be respected.

I see a future coach, mentor, commentator or administrator in him.

Ashwin as a leader also underrated.
    Don't derail thread. Ashwin's action is suspicious; no one has time to hate him lol. People just want a sort of equilibrium from ICC when it comes to chucking, nothing more nothing less.

And yeah, totally agree with you, Ashwin IS a smart one.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    340 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ashwin has always been a great speaker and has good understanding of the game.

But the reason he gets hate from our Padosis is because they love to play their victim mentality card by claiming that Ashwin and Bumrah are chuckers and needs to be tested but never get tested because they play for a powerful board.

And the reason he gets hate from Indian posters is because he has never taken a 5-fer outside India against any of SENA team but has some 25-30 5-fer in 50 matches at home.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Recently I have seen a video Akash Chopra also giving a proper analysis of Babar. Well done to both Ashwin and Akash for gradually breaking the silo!

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin has praised Pakistani players before also and also got lots of abuse from Indians before but it seems like he doesn't care much and speaks his heart that's good to see.He will have a good career as a commentator.

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is a secret admirer of Pak cricket....he is a avid cricket fan and praise almost any good performer....he is a keen follower of Pak. Cricket too......he earlier praised Yasir Shan ..... Sahid Afridi too......good fighter on the field and a gentleman off the field

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naseem View Post
    Ashwin is a secret admirer of Pak cricket....he is a avid cricket fan and praise almost any good performer....he is a keen follower of Pak. Cricket too......he earlier praised Yasir Shan ..... Sahid Afridi too......good fighter on the field and a gentleman off the field
    Not a secret admirer - he just appreciates good cricket.

Think Indians may look at him as a sort of Shoaib Akhtar figure in that sense (in the way he admires Indian cricketers)

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Not a secret admirer - he just appreciates good cricket.

Think Indians may look at him as a sort of Shoaib Akhtar figure in that sense (in the way he admires Indian cricketers)
    What I like about him is he is and will always be a great learner and follower of the game....he never shy away from appreciating quality cricket......and cricketer.....probably that mankad incident led him down a bit.....
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th November 2020 at 21:05. Reason: Dont use sms/txt language

Debut
    Dec 2014
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by King_Kohli View Post
    it's on YouTube ashwin channel

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is a fellow cricket nerd.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    Ash would have been a better captain than Kohli, at least in Test, where he is a borderline ATG. I see him in a very successful career in coaching/administration or cricket media after retirement. Won’t break Kumble’s record any more but can end up with 500+ wickets & 4000+ runs. Already has staggering 27/7 5for/10for.

And he talks lots of sense - don’t go through motions while talking.
    Have you watched some of his YouTube content? I watched some of it and I thought exactly the same as you. I can see him in a coaching role or administrative role after his playing career.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is a brilliant at analysing cricket.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's in the air...... It's a six..... Shahid Afridi you beautyyyy

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashwin knows too much. I like players who are nerds

If you Can Believe In Something, Than why not believe In Yourself.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Inzamam-Ul-Haq Makes Big Revelation About Sourav Ganguly's Controversial Dismissal In 1999 Chennai Test.

Inzaman-ul-Haq made a revelation about the 1999 Test between India and Pakistan in Chennai, saying the dismissal of Sourav Ganguly, who was given out caught by wicket-keeper Moin Khan, in India's second innings was "a doubtful one." Inzaman was speaking on India off-spinner Ravichandran Ashwin's YouTube show DRS With Ash when Ashwin posed the former Pakistan captain a question about the said dismissal. "There were two people involved in the affair. One Azhar Mahmood and the other Moin Khan. When Sourav played the shot, it hit Azhar Mahmood first on his body and then Moin Khan caught it," said Inzamam.

"I cannot clearly tell you about it because Azhar was not playing that Test match. I was unwell in the second innings so in my place Azhar was the substitute. I was not on the ground at that time but I can say that the catch was a doubtful one." Replays of that ball by Saqlain Mushtaq showed that the ball had bounced off the ground after hitting Mahmood's leg, before Moin leapt forward and grabbed the ball right next to Ganguly on the pitch. The on-field umpires got together for a while after Pakistan's appeal and declared Ganguly out. Ganguly's dismissal reduced India to 82 for 5 in their chase of 271 runs in the fourth innings

In a closely-fought contest, India were bowled out for 258 despite Sachin Tendulkar's 136 and lost the match by a narrow margin of 12 runs. On Inzamam's admission, Ashwin, who had watched the match as a kid, said: "Inzy bhai, I have to salute you now because you admitted that it was indeed a doubtful catch."

https://sports.ndtv.com/cricket/inza...mpression=true

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    It's in the air...... It's a six..... Shahid Afridi you beautyyyy
    you just had to, didn't you?

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin's YouTube channel is so good. Binge-watched so many videos these last couple of days. His latest video with Sridhar throws an interesting perspective of what goes on behind the scenes

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Swashbuckler View Post
    Ashwin's YouTube channel is so good. Binge-watched so many videos these last couple of days. His latest video with Sridhar throws an interesting perspective of what goes on behind the scenes
    Probably the Youtuber of the year among Cricketers.

Great content.

Some really great interviews

What I loved about him is he seems to always do a lot of home work before the interview and he always some very deep questions.

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After watching those i understood who much impact kohli, shastri had on the team.Ravi shastri is not just a cheerleader.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No videos in Hindi/English

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    May 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    He has some videos in English (like the interviews and the reminisce with Ash ones) and all of them have subtitles.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    Mostly Tamil, some are in English, some part English and part Tamil. You have English subtitles for all of them.

The Inzi interview is in Hindi/Urdu, check it out

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bobby is a very talented batsman. No 2 ways about it. I didn't think there's a single young batter in India better than him in terms of potential.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is such an intelligent cricketer.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freelance_cricketer View Post
    Probably the Youtuber of the year among Cricketers.

Great content.

Some really great interviews

What I loved about him is he seems to always do a lot of home work before the interview and he always some very deep questions.
    Very good listener as well. He will have a long and successful career as commentator/expert. Can't wait for it because the current guys like Manjrekar, Bhogle, Laman, Karthik are either mediocre or past expiry date. Gavaskar was our last excellent commentator but he doesn't appear much now, getting old as well our dear Sunny bhai.

Always bothers me when we have so many high quality commentators and experts from Australia, England, Windies, South Africa, even Sri Lanka (Sanga) but none from India. Hope Ash changes that.

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Bobby is a very talented batsman. No 2 ways about it. I didn't think there's a single young batter in India better than him in terms of potential.
    Gill?

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good listener as well. He will have a long and successful career as commentator/expert. Can't wait for it because the current guys like Manjrekar, Bhogle, Laman, Karthik are either mediocre or past expiry date. Gavaskar was our last excellent commentator but he doesn't appear much now, getting old as well our dear Sunny bhai.

Always bothers me when we have so many high quality commentators and experts from Australia, England, Windies, South Africa, even Sri Lanka (Sanga) but none from India. Hope Ash changes that.
    Ganguly was a good commentator during the World Cup, but I thought he fawned over Dhoni a bit too much.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketZ View Post
    Gill?
    Yep . Gill is the only one who I think has a higher ceiling than Bobby.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I need to see Gill play tests in England before I can form an opinion about him in the same league as Babar Azam.

As of now, Babar is an extraordinary talent and is among the top 5 batsmen across all formats.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Yep . Gill is the only one who I think has a higher ceiling than Bobby.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    I need to see Gill play tests in England before I can form an opinion about him in the same league as Babar Azam.

As of now, Babar is an extraordinary talent and is among the top 5 batsmen across all formats.
    Yup jury is still out on him and it's early days at international level, but kid is special and dare i say can be kohli, what kohli is to Sachin, India is so blessed in batting, i mean he can be upgrade even on kohli.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

I live in Australia and after listening to channel 7 commentators, I don't think I agree Australia has any good ones right now. Yes they had the legendary Bill Lawry, Ian Chappell, Tony Greig and Richie Benaud etc, who were absolutely brilliant by the way. But the current ones are just Australian cheerleaders. Horrible commentary painful to hear. Only when Sunny or Harsha joined the commentary box did they try to talk a little neutral and actually about happenings on the field. Other times they were just planning how Australian can get wickets and how they can win the game.

Was very happy that Sanjay was not part of the commentary team. It would have been a disaster if he had joined that team as well.

Debut
    Apr 2009
    Venue
    Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Ashwin has been brilliant and I love his YouTube channel. Regarding Babar, he is brilliant and I hope the weight of carrying Pakistan's batting does not drag him down. Pakistan need to find 2-3 other batters who will be consistent and help Babar out, if they can't you might just burn him out mentally. It is not easy to be the only batter who needs to score runs all the time. The pressure the experts and coaching staff are putting on his young shoulders is ridiculous. Making him the captain was a bad decision.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ashwin is such a good person by nature. He still plays with street cricket players without any ego. You could observe his typical chennai cricket geekiness. If you ask Sehwag/Dhoni about past stats, past players they may not know. Chennai guys would remember the parents name of past players if they could lol Too geeky.

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

I liked Rahul Dravid as a commentator before he was appointed as a coach.

Why is Monday so far from Friday, and Friday so close to Monday?