Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Which Pakistani cricketer has been the biggest let-down?

Who do you feel has been Pakistan cricket's biggest flop? The player that promised so much but failed to deliver? The player who you had high hopes of but he didn't fulfil that promise.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1835 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    In my nearly 10 years on PP, from what i have seen, it would be Amir.

Posters here hyped him to be better than wasim, or as good as wasim. Lets be honest, in cricket's entire history, there hasn't been a mire skillful fast bowler than Wasim Akram.

To be compared to him and hailed to be as good as him and then ending up as an avg bowler has to be a big let down.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sohaib Maqsood in my time watching.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please, before anyone names Umar Akmal, understand that he was hyped WAY more than his actual talent that seriously lacked the support of a humble attitude, and focus to improve.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bit of an unusual one, but i am feeling let down by Babar Azam in test matches so far.

He really should be averaging 55+ with several daddy hundreds by now.

An average of 44 with a high score of just 143 after 29 tests is incredibly disappointing given his ability.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Has to be that 30-averaging Mohammad Amir.

All hype for little substance.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Muhammad amir has won two world tournaments with Pakistan, playing starring roles in the final of both.
    Id say Muhammad Asif. He was a true test great in the making as his peers would attest to.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal. Still can’t believe how stupid he is.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Asif. He had an ATG career in his grasp and threw it away by sheer stupidity.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    Mohammad Asif. He had an ATG career in his grasp and threw it away by sheer stupidity.
    100%.

This is the most devastating one because he would have become one of Pakistan's greatest fast bowlers.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shoaib Akhtar. All the speed, the talent, the skills and an excellent bowling brain.

But no intelligence outside of bowling - on what to focus on and what to let go and how to show up for the team when you put on the green shirt.

A hugely wasted opportunity.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    507 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If just one then I think Mohammad Asif.

However, I believe Salman Butt, Amir and Umer Akmal because of their own issues not only set their careers on fire but also impacted the last decade of Pakistan cricket big time.

Salman Butt often gets under the radar when it comes to him as a player considering what impact he had and more importantly could have had on Pakistan cricket. He had the potential to be one of the better openers and captains of Pakistan cricket. He was well set to get around 8-10,000 ODI runs as he had close to 2725 runs at around 25 years of age.

We have seen teams struggle with just one of their players missing from the team let alone removing 3 of the top players from the team at the start of the decade when they were in their 20s.
    Last edited by Titan24; 25th November 2020 at 03:48.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Iftikhar Ahmed. What could have been. The man, the myth, the legend

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corridor of Uncertainty View Post
    Shoaib Akhtar. All the speed, the talent, the skills and an excellent bowling brain.

But no intelligence outside of bowling - on what to focus on and what to let go and how to show up for the team when you put on the green shirt.

A hugely wasted opportunity.
    Lack of thinking/intelligence was not Akhtar's problem. His problems were injury and fitness related, just couldn't stay on the ground during his prime.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal, Amir, Shahid Afridi, Imran Nazir

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal is #1. What Babar is doing now, I expected something close to that (if slightly lesser) performances from Akmal. He just did't want it enough - his attitude, fitness, training, general sense and awareness were all pathetic.

Asif is a decent choice, but he would never have been a great ODI or T20 bowler. At best, he could have been incredible in Tests - but even then, he isn't someone who single handily would have won matches for Pakistan.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Iftikhar Ahmed. What could have been. The man, the myth, the legend
    Hes still got time on his hands Hes just entering his peak age now

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    M Sami.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow deep Question @Saj

Where to begin. The list goes on....and on....and on

=1. Mohammad Amir
    =1. Mohammad Asif
    3. Sarfaraz Ahmed
    4. Umar Akmal
    5. Mohammad Sami
    =6. Asad Shafiq
    =6. Azhar Ali
    8. Ahmed Shahzad
    9. Salman Butt
    10. Yasir Shah
    =10. Hassan Ali
    =10. Wahab Riaz
    =10. Mohammad Irfan
    =10. Junaid Khan

Some non-conventional names who some consider "legends", But IMO they could have done even better & they didn't live up to their true potential:

1. Mohammad Yousaf (should have gone on to score 10K+ Test runs in my opinion)
    2. Shoaib Akhtar (I am a big fan, but he should have played more than 46 Test matches & more than 178 Test wickets)
    3. Shahid Afridi
    4. Saeed Ajmal
    5. Mohammad Hafeez
    6. Imran Nazir
    7. Abdul Razzaq
    8. Azhar Mahmood
    9. Shoaib Malik

On the other hand, a few names who I think overachieved:

1. Younis Khan (never thought he'd be the 1st Pakistani to score 10K+ runs)
    2. Inzamam ul Haq (for his lack of fitness, unbelievable what all he was able to achieve)
    3. Misbah ul Haq (for his lack of talent, charisma, leadership & excessive defensiveness, he has found a way to magically thrive in the Pakistani cricket culture)
    4. Kamran Akmal (unbelievable how he managed to play 53 Test matches despite having butterfingers, poor fitness and a cry-baby attitude)
    5. Danish Kaneria (for someone with no athleticism & no real talent to play 61 Tests is pretty remarkable. I think he got lucky during an era where there was no real competition for spinners)

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bowlers:

Amir - Five years out of competitive cricket it's unbelievable he actually made a return to international cricket.

Asif - 300+ Test wicket potential but the conscience of a criminal.

Sami - All ability no brain.

Zahid (maybe not his fault) - Injuries and not looked after. Probably unlucky but maybe deserves some blame.

All-rounders:

Abdur Razzaq - Should've gone down as an all-time great all-rounder. His bowling went downhill and batting never improved beyond the block and method.

Shahid Afridi - Great hand-eye and power. He really should've been as good as anyone. A few of his test knocks show he had the ability to hang with the best but no desire. Probably underachieved as a bowler too. Should've been an all-time great all-rounder as well.

Batsmen:

Umar Akmal - Hands down one of the most talented cricketers to have come out of Pakistan. That maiden 100 against Sri Lanka was an innings that should've led to an all-time great career.

Hasan Raza - Probably not his fault. Piled on runs but never given a proper run in test cricket. After 2003 he should've gotten an extended run in the test team instead he played only 2 tests because he wasn't a favorite of Inzi. In 2002 he had scored twin 50's against an all-time great Australian attack and that should've been the turning point but was dropped very quickly after that.

Ahmed Shehzad - Maybe the only cricketer that can claim to be smarter than Umar Akmal. Has the shots and the ability but doesn't know how to actually build an innings.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyG View Post
    Bowlers:

Amir - Five years out of competitive cricket it's unbelievable he actually made a return to international cricket.

Asif - 300+ Test wicket potential but the conscience of a criminal.

Sami - All ability no brain.

Zahid (maybe not his fault) - Injuries and not looked after. Probably unlucky but maybe deserves some blame.

All-rounders:

Abdur Razzaq - Should've gone down as an all-time great all-rounder. His bowling went downhill and batting never improved beyond the block and method.

Shahid Afridi - Great hand-eye and power. He really should've been as good as anyone. A few of his test knocks show he had the ability to hang with the best but no desire. Probably underachieved as a bowler too. Should've been an all-time great all-rounder as well.

Batsmen:

Umar Akmal - Hands down one of the most talented cricketers to have come out of Pakistan. That maiden 100 against Sri Lanka was an innings that should've led to an all-time great career.

Hasan Raza - Probably not his fault. Piled on runs but never given a proper run in test cricket. After 2003 he should've gotten an extended run in the test team instead he played only 2 tests because he wasn't a favorite of Inzi. In 2002 he had scored twin 50's against an all-time great Australian attack and that should've been the turning point but was dropped very quickly after that.

Ahmed Shehzad - Maybe the only cricketer that can claim to be smarter than Umar Akmal. Has the shots and the ability but doesn't know how to actually build an innings.
    Disagree on Abdul Razzaq and Shahid Afridi.

These two have done enough in their careers and have won so many matches for Pakistan. I would trade 90% of the Pakistani Cricket pool to have these two guys back in the side today.

The rest I agree with.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Disagree on Abdul Razzaq and Shahid Afridi.

These two have done enough in their careers and have won so many matches for Pakistan. I would trade 90% of the Pakistani Cricket pool to have these two guys back in the side today.

The rest I agree with.
    They should have won more games. Afridi had hand eye coordination to match the likes of Sehwag, and his striking ability was even better. His concentration was about 1/10th of Sehwag's though.

Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    probably umer akmal. mohammed asif probably second

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    Montreal
    Runs
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theirs so many that comes to mind

But I think the one that dispointed a lot was Nasir Jamshed

When Nasir came onto the scene he was actually a good batsman and played some nice shots

He also scored runs Agaisnt India granted some of the pitches might have been more suitable to the batsman but the fact that he was able to score runs against India ( which is always a pressure match) made me think he was going to have a nice long run with the national team

He was overweight but he wasn't too bad when he started , I did think he would work on his fitness as well he played well Agaisnt Australia and I believe In world t20 2012 he did decent as well

But afterwards went downhill from their
    Batting wasn't the same gained more weight had a horrible 2015 World Cup
    And than got involved in scandals as well

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    493 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal.

Mohammed Asif.

Salman Butt.

Raza Hasan.

Nasir Jamshed.

Sharjeel Khan.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal

Others

Ahmed Shehzad
    Salman Butt

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be Muhammad Asif. Just imagine that despite a brief career some batting greats like AB, KP and Amla regard him as one if the greatest bowlers they have ever faced. Would have won Pak a few series in SENA by now, that's for sure

Debut
    Oct 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    M.Amir is a let down but it was the unfair comparisons to Wasim Akram lead to unrealistic expectations. He is a very good swing bowler who had an excellent Test series against England in 2010 but after his ban people judged him based on those games.
    For me, Umar Akmal was a let down due to his talent since he didn't concentrate on his game and got involved in the wrong things. It's usually talent we see first and these cricketers don't do themselves justice.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It has to be Shoaib Akhtar. A once in a generation talent completely wasted due to the man's own doing.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has to be Amir. He was talented, young, clever bowler and clutch under pressure. Still sort of is given his best performances have come in finals to clinch trophies.

Umar Akmal there were always signs he was ill disciplined and wilted under pressure. I thought he would eventually get over it with time though.

I never thought Amir would fix and was shocked he did. But even after the comeback I kind of expected better.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nextover666666 View Post
    Theirs so many that comes to mind

But I think the one that dispointed a lot was Nasir Jamshed

When Nasir came onto the scene he was actually a good batsman and played some nice shots

He also scored runs Agaisnt India granted some of the pitches might have been more suitable to the batsman but the fact that he was able to score runs against India ( which is always a pressure match) made me think he was going to have a nice long run with the national team

He was overweight but he wasn't too bad when he started , I did think he would work on his fitness as well he played well Agaisnt Australia and I believe In world t20 2012 he did decent as well

But afterwards went downhill from their
    Batting wasn't the same gained more weight had a horrible 2015 World Cup
    And than got involved in scandals as well
    Think Jamshed's decline was the one that disappointed me the most. Amir's decline surprised me more, but was really excited about jamshed as a player. He absolutely dominated in that India series and looked good against Australia. Looked in full control, unflustered by the pressure It's been a while since I saw a Pakistani batsman do that, as I said umar akmal was talented but I don't think played with the same authority, just was a matter of time before he threw his wicket or lost it under pressure.

And not only that he was an opener, a position we'd struggled for ages. He could have set the tone for every inning.

As soon as he was suddenly included in that debut test series in SA and failed (which was expected it was a tough place to do well every top order bat we had failed), he never really did anything again after that. I don't know why that was a turning point. Yeah he did have fitness and fixing problems later on, but right after that series he just batted slow, looked awful at the crease, and that Jamshed we saw before the SA series never came back.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Has to be Asif. Amir was never up there skill wise (though he continues to run circles around Kohli and Rohit), while Umar Akmal had the raw talent but not the temperamental skills, so missing ingredients there.

But Asif had it all, ready made and ready to go to become an ATG and contend with the likes of Glenn McGrath and Wasim Akram. So, so many stars of that era firmly believe Asif was the most difficult they ever faced.

He just needed 5 more years of Test cricket.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reason of decline of Asif, and Jamshed is perhaps not what the OP is intending.

These guys failed not due to a disappointing and declining performance on the field and losing their skill, but it had more to do in how they failed to handle the fame and money.

“ The player that promised so much but failed to deliver?”

I think Amir also falls in this category. After his return, he was finished.
    Had he not taken that stupid decision for some quick cash, he might’ve just delivered.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    The reason of decline of Asif, and Jamshed is perhaps not what the OP is intending.

These guys failed not due to a disappointing and declining performance on the field and losing their skill, but it had more to do in how they failed to handle the fame and money.

“ The player that promised so much but failed to deliver?”

I think Amir also falls in this category. After his return, he was finished.
    Had he not taken that stupid decision for some quick cash, he might’ve just delivered.
    Amir had his moments after comeback. Umar was a much bigger disappointment. He promised the world, an ATG level talent, and he ended up being a third rate dumb guy with attitude issues and a lack of work ethic

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me personally it has to be Asim Kamal, Misbah, U Akmal, Yasir Hameed

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Raza Hassan and Muhammad Asif

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Amir had his moments after comeback. Umar was a much bigger disappointment. He promised the world, an ATG level talent, and he ended up being a third rate dumb guy with attitude issues and a lack of work ethic
    My take on Umar Akmal is that he never had THAT MICH of a talent to begin with, for which he was ultra hyped up for.

Some knee jerk fans jumped on the hype bandwagon and put him over the moon. He was regarded as someone who will bang his shoes and players like Kohli will fall out from the shoe dust.

The delusion fans could not get the clear indication when he was kicked out of Lahore cricket academy by Mudassir Nazar due UA continuously having discipline problems. And this was way before he hit the hyped up fame.

Personally I was not disappointed that much by UA’s decline because I never had great hopes from him to begin with.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Raza Hassan and Muhammad Asif
    There was another young kid, Hammad Azam. I think he was hyped up quite a bit but he couldn’t do much in the international arena.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    It's none other than Shahibzada Mohammad Shahid Khan Afridi.

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ethan hunt View Post
    Muhammad amir has won two world tournaments with Pakistan, playing starring roles in the final of both.
    Id say Muhammad Asif. He was a true test great in the making as his peers would attest to.
    So have Irfan pathan and sreesanth. They actually won world cups. Ishant defended 120 in a CT final. Would you say they have had amazing careers? Defending 340+ in the final of a chanpions trophy, a score never chased by any team in a major tournament is the pinnacle of achievement and is called winning the cup when the batsman had already done their job?

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    So have Irfan pathan and sreesanth. They actually won world cups. Ishant defended 120 in a CT final. Would you say they have had amazing careers? Defending 340+ in the final of a chanpions trophy, a score never chased by any team in a major tournament is the pinnacle of achievement and is called winning the cup when the batsman had already done their job?
    I never said he had an amazing career, he has been a let down, yes! but he made something of it.
    Managed to raise his game in world tournaments and big games.
    Sreesanth and ishanth are not close to him as limited overs bowlers sorry.
    Last edited by ethan hunt; 25th November 2020 at 12:25.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiafan View Post
    Bro itni ungal kyun ho gaye hai. Not everything is an attack on India. This thread is about who the biggest letdown is and the argument was he has had enough good moments to not be the biggest letdown

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Anwar Ali is another name.

No one imagined that 2006 WC spell would be his peak.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    May 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The list is quite long:

Mohammad Asif
    Mohammad Amir
    Umar Akmal
    Saqlain Mushtaq (considering the steep decline in form and fitness. Last played for Pakistan when he was only 27-28)
    Imran Nazir
    Sharjeel Khan (don't think he will ever be the same player he used to be or was becoming before the ban)
    Nasir Jamshaid
    Junaid Khan
    Faheem Ashraf

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Bro itni ungal kyun ho gaye hai. Not everything is an attack on India. This thread is about who the biggest letdown is and the argument was he has had enough good moments to not be the biggest letdown
    The parosies seem to hate him, since the CT final. I wonder why

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7029 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Has to be Umar Akmal. He did not achieve 1% of what he was capable of simply because he is a person of very low intelligence.

Amir has had a decent career in spite of not reaching the heights that were expected of him. He is among the very few Pakistani players to win two ICC Trophies and put in big performances in both finals.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Batting wise Umar Akmal - After scoring 100 early in his test career vs NZ you thought you were seeing something special but it was just all down hill from there.

Bowling wise - Muhammed Asif. Having played club cricket against him he always look a good talent and after been written off after a poor 1st test outing, he then started to become one of best bowlers in the world until off field antics spoilt everything.

Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Jeddah, Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    948 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't believe posters are mentioning Amir here.
    Isn't an ATG performance in TWO ICC finals enough to have a career that fulfilled it's potential?
    Yes he has under-achieved but he hasn't under-achieved the most.

That crown lays with two men. Mohammad Asif and Imran Nazir.

I still won't forget what Boycott had said about Imran Nazir.
    Asif showed glimpses of his genius which were enough for most batsmen to consider him as one of the toughest bowlers they faced. Had McGrath like potential but wasted it all.

Imran Nazir could've been our Hayden. Devastating on his day and always put that fear factor in the opposition.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    Lack of thinking/intelligence was not Akhtar's problem. His problems were injury and fitness related, just couldn't stay on the ground during his prime.
    That is his assertion and I respect that. But also, his teammates, captains, coaches and the board, felt this was not the entire explanation of his behavior and commitment in his playing days.

I tend to think he mismanaged his gifts and his place in history by not creating supporters around him who could help him bring out his best everyday.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Professor 1.0 and 2.0

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Asad Shafiq

Wasted one spot for a decade
    Was good only for 3 years in the mid of his career

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    322 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    From a world perspective, the biggest let-downs Pakistan have had are:-

1.Shoaib Akhtar
    2. Shahid Afridi
    3. Mohammad Asif
    4. Mohammad Amir

From a world's perspective, Imran Nazir and Umar Akmal are nobodies. We only know about one Akmal who used to drop a lot of sitters behind gloves, and yeah he was a let-down.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amir

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    70 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a serious note...I think it has got to be Nasir Jamshed.

I mean I would not have believed if someone back in 2012 had told me that his 100 against India in Kolkata would remain his last international hundred and his career would be done and dusted by the time he's 27.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    100%.

This is the most devastating one because he would have become one of Pakistan's greatest fast bowlers.
    Not just Pakistan but overall ATG. He would have ended his career with better stats than McGrath.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Asif , could have been mcgrath of pakistan. The best new ball pakistan bowler i have seen after akram.

Umar akmal , akheer talent but low Iq. Cant blame one for low intelligence.

raza hasan , could have had a wonderful career.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umair Akmal (Talent with no brain)
    Ahmed Shehzad (A good player with negative attitude)
    Muhammad Amir (Fixing, arrogance, fitness issues)
    Junaid Khan (fitness)
    Sohaib Maqsood (had lots of expectations but failed deliver)
    Hammad Azam (I still remember he had been referred as a next Razzaq)
    Fakhar Zaman (Too much hype but I am afraid that his decline will continue because he is technically faulty)
    Sharjeel Khan (fixing, fitness)
    Sarfaraz Ahmed (not really sure what happened to him but one thing I am sure that he is among most coward players in the history of PCT)
    Saeed Ajmal (After his ban he was exposed badly)
    Anwar Ali (still remember that final spell of u 19, everyone was expecting too much from him but at the end thanks Mr Aqib Javed)

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    watching this video, I thought, if only he gets himself back in shape and makes a return..... Nope, hope, don't do it to yourself.
    not worth it, we’ll only end up disappointed

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “Promised a little too much” XI

1. Nasir Jamshed
    2. Ahmed Shehzad
    3. Imran Nazir
    4. Salman Butt (c)
    5. Umar Akmal
    6. Shahid Afridi
    7. Rashif Latif (wk)
    8. Mohammad Amir
    9. Saqlain Mushtaq
    10. Mohammad Asif
    11. Mohammad Sami

edit: changed my captain from Afridi to Salman Butt
    Last edited by Thunderbolt14; 25th November 2020 at 17:56.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Basit Ali is another one on the list actually. And I suppose Saleem Malik can also be counted.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    725 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Basit Ali is another one on the list actually. And I suppose Saleem Malik can also be counted.
    Junaid Khan did not end up having the career I expected him to.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." --Aristotle

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Amir is an interesting one who divides opinions.

On the positive side - 2 ICC tournament wins.

On the negative side - The ban, a Test retirement after 36 matches and after a bowling average of 30.47.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think Amir in test but Umer Akmal overall

Debut
    May 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Biggest letdown has gotta be Akmal.

I can understand the cases for Asif/Amir/Akhtar etc but Sohaib is still regarded as one of the best bowlers of all time and that's despite the consistent injuries which are not easy to come back from. Asif is still talked about one of the best and smartest bowler who everyone wishes had played longer. Amir, despite the regression after the comeback has still been a decent bowler who was a big part in Championship Trophy and has been huge anytime he plays on big stages.

Akmal meanwhile looked like he was going to be an incredible batsmen and a modern day batsmen at that. He started off so well and even performed in SENA conditions to start off and it all came crashing down so hard that he is a running joke at this point. He is not even a serviceable cricketer anymore and it seems crazy that just a decade ago he was hyped to be one of the best cricketers. Shehzad and Akmal were supposed to be the backbone of Pakistan's batting during the early 2010's and yet, they were some of the biggest culprits for consistent massive collapses. And frankly, it seems almost embarrassing Akmal even played for Pakistan. What an incredible waste of talent to combine with a poor, selfish and entitled attitude.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2106 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    I know he had injury issues but I felt Shoaib Akhtar could and should have done a lot more for Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has to be Umar Akmal. The guy should have been in his prime now and among the best batsman in the world. Instead he destroyed everything himself with his unprofessional attitude.

The other thing with Pakistani players is they come into the scene as 17-18 years old and blow people away with their performances. How can an 17-18 years do that? Imagine how good they will be when they get 22-25 years old? Reality is most often than not they have reduced age by 3-4 years.

Ex Shahid Afridi fan.

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It has to be umar akmal.The guy was so so talented.He could have been a world class if he were a little intelligent.

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Muhammad sami

Who wouldve thought watching him circa 2001-2003

That this guy would end up avging 50 in test cricket over many many tests

Mohammed Asif and Shoaib Akhter

Criminal Waste of a test careers They both shouldve ended up with 300 test wickets each

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my mind, it's Mohammad Amir. He had everything, pace, swing, accuracy. He was going to be one of our greatest bowlers, but due to his own sheer stupidity, he is now a player who performs once every blue moon. Could have gone down as a legend, but instead, he goes down with the negative view that he retired to play T20 leagues.

I also think that Sarfaraz Ahmed could have been more than what he is at the moment. He should have never stopped opening, he was a really good batsman in his peak but failed to continue that way because he kept hiding behind the middle order.

Umar Gul in tests should have been a much better bowler, his stats aren't very compelling but he was a very good player who avoided controversy and all.

The Akmal brothers, for their amazing talent, could not improve upon their skillsets and both are just domestic bullies in my opinion.

Ahmed Shehzad had a wonderful time until that bouncer from De Grandhome, and everything went downhill from then on. Could have been a good batsman for us considering his age.

Imad Wasim (the bowler) could have also been much better in ODI cricket, where he averages around 44 with the ball.

Haris Sohail could have also been a very good player if he had a good fitness record and if he was less injury prone.

Wahab Riaz had amazing talent but couldn't live up to the expectations.

Azhar Ali should have been much better in tests, he has really fallen off from his peak. He was, at one point in time, one of the best test players we had on the team.

Shahid Afridi could have achieved so much more as a batsman in all formats if he played with some sensibility in certain situations. He could have also been a really valuable all-rounder in tests instead of playing that pathetic Danish Kaneria.

Junaid Khan could have been a really good bowler for us across all formats, but he had injury issues.

These are just some of the names I can think of.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    519 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Afridi

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    480 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Mohammad Hafeez Vol. 3.0 because he could have been Mohammad Hafeez Vol. 4.0

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir Shah. Make no mistake, still a wonderful cricketer but after that 2016 series in England I though we had finally found a great all conditions spinner after Warne, Murali and a guaranteed lock in all time Pak XI. His performances since then haven't met those expectations at least in my view. Very rare to find Asian spinners who get success in SENA, so maybe I am being harsh. His ban, poor fitness, inconsistency are self created vices and he has flattered to deceive in ODIs, T20s in this era when wrist spin dominates. Even with the bat he had so much potential, at least a 20-25 test avg was within his reach.

Just wanted to throw in a name apart from usual suspects like Umar Akmal, Afridi, Sami, Razzaq.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    606 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's way too many to name as the list it's endless really...but to name the top one then it has to be Mohammad Asif and there's no really a need to go into this all over again as it has been discussed for years at end.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal has to be at the top of this list. When he came on the scene he scored a fine 102 vs SL on debut odi series and 129 & polished 75 on test debut in challenging NZ conditions when the team was 90-5 if I remember correctly. He also performed well in his first Australia and England tour. I remember the Aussie commentators were talking so highly of him but he only has himself to blame. Has always had a negative attitude and dodgy character when he faked his injury for Kami. Can’t believe he wasted himself with his poor attitude towards fitness and improving himself. Not to mention his ego and arrogance which were out of this world. He had the balls to go ask Imran khan for a higher batting spot but never did his talent any justice.

A message out there for all the youngsters that Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.

Debut
    Jun 2012
    Venue
    Indian Occupied Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me it has to be Imran farhat.
    IMO he was a great stroke maker. His shots were and still are a treat to eyes

Debut
    Jun 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Umar Akmal followed closely by Amir.... Not alot of runs and wickets among them but a lot of could have beens