Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2730 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

The Mike Tyson comeback thread

Boxing legends Mike Tyson and Roy Jones Jr have weighed in ahead of their bout on Saturday night, which will see no judges, a no-knockout rule, and no official winner.

The eight-round exhibition match will take place at the Staples Centre in Los Angeles as part of a three hour pay-per-view live broadcast, and sees both men back in the ring after extended periods of time away.

During the weigh in, Tyson, 54, tipped the scales at 220 pounds, while his opponent, Jones Jr, 51, came in at a lighter 210.

Despite facing a barrage of criticism since the announcement of the bout, it has reportedly drawn in record pre-fight sales.

Tyson, a former heavyweight champion of the world, last fought in 2005 when he lost to Kevin McBride - raising eyebrows about his ability to get back in the ring - while Jones Jr, who once held seven belts simultaneously, was still fighting in 2018.

The fight itself will be solely for entertainment purposes. With judges (and fans) absent from the arena, it means the match will have a "no-knockout" rule and will not record an official winner.

However, the rule that the fighters cannot knock out their opponent does not seem to have got through to Tyson, who says he is "coming at" Jones Jr.

He told reporters in LA: "I'm pitching punches and everything else is up to Roy. I'm coming at him. He doesn't have to worry about me. If I'm running anywhere I'm running right at him.

"Maybe I don't know how to go easy. I don't know. I don't want to say the wrong thing. I don't want the commission mad at me."

It is not only Tyson and Jones Jr on the bill for the event, which is being run by social media platform Triller, with 23-year-old YouTube star Jake Paul taking on former NBA player Nate Robinson, 36.

The pair, as well as two others, will fight on the undercard in a six-round bout.

https://news.sky.com/story/mike-tyso...in-la-12144634

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    “see no judges, a no-knockout rule, and no official winner”.

What kind of joke is this?

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    796 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabbar Singh View Post

What's wrong with it? It is quite similar to a marriage.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)

It's not a fight / boxing match, it's an exhibition. There will be winner, it's just that it wont be official on the pro boxing record. Fighters are discouraged to knock each other out but a KO is still posible, however the ref may be more inclined to stop a fight the moment there is a knockdown, cut or anticipates further damage.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking forward for the fight(exhibition).

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    It's not a fight / boxing match, it's an exhibition. There will be winner, it's just that it wont be official on the pro boxing record. Fighters are discouraged to knock each other out but a KO is still posible, however the ref may be more inclined to stop a fight the moment there is a knockdown, cut or anticipates further damage.
    Ah right, I see.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Tyson looks in incredible shape for his age (well any age really).

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Was seriously depressed seeing Tyson's physique and hanging love handles, i expected much lesser body fat around his stomach, abdoman area. His physique is nothing like it used to be in his 20's and 30's.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Was seriously depressed seeing Tyson's physique and hanging love handles, i expected much lesser body fat around his stomach, abdoman area. His physique is nothing like it used to be in his 20's and 30's.
    You can’t be serious..

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am surprised to see him back.

I am generally not much into boxing but I may watch this match.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He’s 54, you can’t expect him to look like he did in his 20s.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Not quite all there.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    957 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Tyson will hurt him.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    209 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He’s 54, you can’t expect him to look like he did in his 20s.

Tyson is definitely wearing the superior boxers. Versace lifestyle.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    728 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jake Paul’s face needs to be busted in half.

Cannot wait for the dunk champ to rock him.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just an exhibition match.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just read that Tyson is getting paid at least $10 million for the fight and Jones $1 million.

https://www.si.com/boxing/2020/11/27...oy-jones-fight

Back in 1997 Tyson and Holyfield were paid in excess of $30 million each to fight each other. If such a fight took place today you could probably multiply that by 10.

The biggest boxing payday in history went to Mayweather when he took home a cool $275 million vs Connor.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed the exhibition, never took it seriously but it was great to watch. Am also glad that part of the proceeds will go to retired fighters who are struggling in the aftermath of their careers. Mike conditioning was better then RJJ's which was surprising seeing how inactive he has been, both showed signs of their old self at times and it was a fun event which was under regulated control. Am glad larger 12 oz gloves were used to limit the damage either man could take, for some history in the golden age of HW boxing 8 oz gloves were used compared to 10/12 oz today. Majority of Tysons sparring partners use to request he wear 18 oz gloves.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not possible unless you take HGH’s or some other testosterone treatment.

Your body can only do so much.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ManFan View Post
    It’s not possible unless you take HGH’s or some other testosterone treatment.

Your body can only do so much.
    It isnt fair to expect someone in his 50s to have the same physique as they had in their 20s or 30s. But its not entirely impossible to be in a better shape than what Mike is at his age. Looks at all the actors who are in their 50s and still have good physiques.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Here are the official highlights - Tyson looked in better shape than he did in his last few pro fights 15 years ago. Roy Jones looked a lot older than his 51 years - I suppose that’s what fighting 75 times over 30 years does to someone.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Oh and apparently Tyson was high on drugs when he fought lol.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Oh and apparently Tyson was high on drugs when he fought lol.

Is canabis halal?

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    281 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    I didn't see the point in paying for a fight where they weren't allowed to punch each other in the head. Mike Tyson's whole career was built on it.

That said, I saw some highlights and was quite impressed by the shape the guys were in. Tyson in particular looked very sharp and quick on his feet. Really made me miss boxing from back then.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    It isnt fair to expect someone in his 50s to have the same physique as they had in their 20s or 30s. But its not entirely impossible to be in a better shape than what Mike is at his age. Looks at all the actors who are in their 50s and still have good physiques.
    You do know that these actors are on testosterone / hgh right?

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    Actors and co. are more likely to take substances as they don't face any doping regulations.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4735 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Too much emphasis on how one looks in Boxing, you can look a million bucks but still be conditioned badly and lack in-ring activity, a solid engine / training camp and ring smarts are more important. People always made fun of how Tyson Fury looks and wrote of Foreman before he regained the lineal heavyweight crown. You can have an amazing physique / look like a body builder, doesn't mean you can fight neccesarily or that your look will help you / suit your fighting style. Mike Tyson was a freak of nature and he trained selectively to hone the peek a boo style to remain explosive against much bigger opponents

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    434 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dios View Post
    You do know that these actors are on testosterone / hgh right?
    Quote Originally Posted by FastBowlingAllrounder View Post
    Actors and co. are more likely to take substances as they don't face any doping regulations.
    Valid point. I concede.

However it isnt impossible to look much more fitter than what Tyson was looking at his age in the match.