Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Sports Personality of the Year 2020: Lewis Hamilton crowned winner

Seven-time Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton and England cricketer Stuart Broad have been named as the first two nominees for the 2020 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The BBC is staggering the announcements of the six contenders up for the main honour at a show at Media City in Salford on December 20, with Hamilton and Broad so far taking top billing.

It was announced on Tuesday morning that Hamilton had tested positive for coronavirus and will miss this weekend’s Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain, but he is favourite with bookmakers to clinch a second SPOTY crown.

Winner in 2014 and a four-time runner-up, including in the last two years, Hamilton clinched yet another world drivers’ title in Turkey last month, equalling Michael Schumacher’s overall record.

Hamilton was named on the six-person shortlist on BBC Breakfast by ‘The Body Coach’ Joe Wicks, who then revealed on Radio One Breakfast with Greg James that England fast bowler Broad was the second contender.
    Broad became only the second England bowler, after James Anderson, to reach 500 Test wickets in a summer of rearranged fixtures, played behind closed doors because of the coronavirus pandemic.

It has been a remarkable year for Broad, who has taken 38 Test wickets for England at a phenomenal average of 14.76 in 2020.

The other four hopefuls will be revealed throughout Tuesday on the BBC’s various platforms.

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/lew...hNgU6wwAGosw3U

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    Hamilton will be the favourite and should win, although I prefer Tyson Fury

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Shortlist of six contenders has been announced for the 2020 BBC Sports Personality of the Year award.

The nominees are cricketer Stuart Broad, jockey Hollie Doyle, boxer Tyson Fury, Formula 1's Lewis Hamilton, footballer Jordan Henderson and snooker star Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Voting will be open to the public during the Sports Personality programme on BBC One on Sunday, 20 December.

The show is being broadcast live from Media City in Salford.

How the Sports Personality contenders were revealed
    Football pundit Alex Scott will join the presenting line-up alongside Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan to look back on a truly unusual year of sport in front of a huge virtual audience and millions of BBC One viewers.

The ceremony will champion the teams that triumphed despite the pandemic, sports stars that achieved greatness even with interrupted schedules and the coaches and local heroes that made it possible.

The public can vote by phone or online on the night for the main award, with full details announced during the show.

Other awards to be announced include Team and Coach of the Year, World Sport Star of the Year and Unsung Hero, while Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford will receive a special award in recognition of his work to raise awareness of child food poverty in the UK.

Who are the Sports Personality contenders?

Stuart Broad, 34, Cricket
    After being dropped for the opening match of the summer series against West Indies, the Nottinghamshire fast bowler returned for the final two Tests - both won by England - and took 16 wickets at an average of 10.93 to pass 500 for his career. He is seventh in the list of all-time Test wicket-takers.

More on Stuart Broad
    Hollie Doyle, 24, horse racing
    Broke her own record for the number of winners ridden by a British woman in a year, rode a historic double on British Champions Day, became the first woman to ride five winners on the same card and claimed her first victory at Royal Ascot. Doyle was named Sunday Times Sportswoman of the Year.

More on Hollie Doyle
    Tyson Fury, 32, boxing
    The self-styled 'Gypsy King' became a two-time world heavyweight champion with a devastating defeat of Deontay Wilder to claim the WBC title in their Las Vegas rematch in February. Victory for the Manchester-born fighter marked another stage in his remarkable comeback after a battle with depression and drugs.

More on Tyson Fury
    Lewis Hamilton, 35, Formula 1
    One of F1's all-time great drivers, he equalled Michael Schumacher's record of seven world titles with his fourth consecutive championship in 2020. En route, the Stevenage-born driver - who holds the record for most pole positions - surpassed the German's total of 91 grand prix victories.

More on Lewis Hamilton
    Jordan Henderson, 30, football
    Captained runaway leaders Liverpool to win their first league title since 1990, by a margin of 19 points, a year after lifting the Champions League trophy. The Sunderland-born midfielder, who has been capped 58 times by England, was also named the Football Writers' men's player of the year.

More on Jordan Henderson
    Ronnie O'Sullivan, 44, snooker
    Won his sixth world title at the Crucible to become the oldest champion for more than 40 years and cement his place as one snooker's greatest players. 'The Rocket' has secured more events (37) and Triple Crown event titles (20) than anyone else in history. The Essex potter is nominated for the BBC award for the first time in his 28-year career.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    World heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury is to remain on this year's Sports Personality of the Year award shortlist, says the BBC.

Fury, 32, is one of six sports stars shortlisted for the annual award, which will be presented on 20 December.

On Wednesday, he posted a video on his social media accounts asking for the BBC to "please take me off your list".

But a BBC spokesperson said Fury would remain on the list because it is decided by an independent panel.

"The shortlist is decided by an independent expert panel who choose contenders based on their sporting achievement in a given year," said the BBC.

"On this basis Tyson Fury will remain on the list for Spoty 2020.

"As always the winner will be decided by the public voting during the live show and it is of course up to Tyson if he chooses to participate in the show."

Fury had said that he was "the people's champion and have no need for verification or any awards".

"I know who I am and what I've done in the sport. I have the love of the people which means more to me than all the awards in the world," he added.

Fury, who beat American Deontay Wilder to win the WBC title in February, was shortlisted alongside England cricketer Stuart Broad, record-breaking jockey Hollie Doyle, Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton, Liverpool and England footballer Jordan Henderson and snooker world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Sports Personality of the Year 2020 will be shown on BBC One. The programme is being broadcast live from Media City in Salford.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    World heavyweight boxing champion Tyson Fury is to remain on this year's Sports Personality of the Year award shortlist, says the BBC.

Fury, 32, is one of six sports stars shortlisted for the annual award, which will be presented on 20 December.

On Wednesday, he posted a video on his social media accounts asking for the BBC to "please take me off your list".

But a BBC spokesperson said Fury would remain on the list because it is decided by an independent panel.

"The shortlist is decided by an independent expert panel who choose contenders based on their sporting achievement in a given year," said the BBC.

"On this basis Tyson Fury will remain on the list for Spoty 2020.

"As always the winner will be decided by the public voting during the live show and it is of course up to Tyson if he chooses to participate in the show."

Fury had said that he was "the people's champion and have no need for verification or any awards".

"I know who I am and what I've done in the sport. I have the love of the people which means more to me than all the awards in the world," he added.

Fury, who beat American Deontay Wilder to win the WBC title in February, was shortlisted alongside England cricketer Stuart Broad, record-breaking jockey Hollie Doyle, Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton, Liverpool and England footballer Jordan Henderson and snooker world champion Ronnie O'Sullivan.

Sports Personality of the Year 2020 will be shown on BBC One. The programme is being broadcast live from Media City in Salford.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hope Broad gets it.

Hamilton is an arrogant person who has lost a lot of white fans for his BLM nonsense.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Hamilton is an arrogant person who has lost a lot of white fans for his BLM nonsense.
    Surprised to see you side with white racists.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Surprised to see you side with white racists.
    The same fans also went against Anthony Joshua and rightly so. Imagine if a white star openly said he will only shop at white owned shops? Hamilton hasnt said this but has also been arrogant attacking other drivers for their right not to support BLM.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There's no way Broad is winning this over Hamilton

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamilton has lost many fans due to his BLM political stunt.

He will win for sure given his 7th Title, but will get extra points from the woke/radical left.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hamilton will have to win it. Literally became statistically the greatest racing driver ever this year.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebat View Post
    Hamilton will have to win it. Literally became statistically the greatest racing driver ever this year.
    Marcus Rashford will win it for his work for school meals. Its voted by the public, Hamilton is not liked in the UK as much as some assume.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The same fans also went against Anthony Joshua and rightly so. Imagine if a white star openly said he will only shop at white owned shops? Hamilton hasnt said this but has also been arrogant attacking other drivers for their right not to support BLM.
    So now you want me to imagine something Hamilton hasn’t done and behave as though he has.

That’s the absolute definition of straw man argument.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4737 Post(s)
    Tagged
    23 Thread(s)
    AJ is a messiah of sorts and model citizen the public worship, he is very well media trained for the most part and has the backing of the zionist media, see how he is still worshiped like a god despite his views on Mugabe, how little girls must be raised, his views on sponsors which exploit the public and now as you have said the controversial comments on BLM. Hamilton has never been that controversial imo, he has been disliked for similar reasons to AK, which is interesting considering his unprecedented achievements in F1

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So now you want me to imagine something Hamilton hasn’t done and behave as though he has.

That’s the absolute definition of straw man argument.
    I want you to try reading , you have the internet to search his BLM views and the views of other drivers. Try google.

Quote Originally Posted by shaz619 View Post
    AJ is a messiah of sorts and model citizen the public worship, he is very well media trained for the most part and has the backing of the zionist media, see how he is still worshiped like a god despite his views on Mugabe, how little girls must be raised, his views on sponsors which exploit the public and now as you have said the controversial comments on BLM. Hamilton has never been that controversial imo, he has been disliked for similar reasons to AK, which is interesting considering his unprecedented achievements in F1
    Agree. Hamilton will win, I thought Marcus Rashford would but he's not been nominated. F1 is a niche sport, not many people watch this compared to football or boxing but people will vote because of the hype of the media. This award has lost its shine over the years as more sport is on pay monthly sports packages.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I want you to try reading , you have the internet to search his BLM views and the views of other drivers. Try google.

Agree. Hamilton will win, I thought Marcus Rashford would but he's not been nominated. F1 is a niche sport, not many people watch this compared to football or boxing but people will vote because of the hype of the media. This award has lost its shine over the years as more sport is on pay monthly sports packages.
    Ok, as far as I can see Hamilton wants F1 to take a strong anti-racism stance. The BLM movement will eventually generalise to support all people of colour. That’s got to be a good thing.
    Last edited by The Viper; 7th December 2020 at 00:13.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Surely it should be a team award for Lewis and Mercedes? Without them would he really have won what he has? Sure he’s a great driver but he has a great car to drive.

Just look at what happened with George Russell - no points all season with Williams, gets to drive Hamilton’s car and almost wins the race.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, as far as I can see Hamilton wants F1 to take a strong anti-racism stance. The BLM movement will eventually generalise to support all people of colour. That’s got to be a good thing.
    No. What LH wants to do is jump on the BLM bandwagon and politicise sports. He feels he has the right cos he is 'black' and successful. You spend half the time defending the case for sports being free of politics, yet defend LH. Good job LH stunt has backfired.

BLM movement will not eventually generalise to support all people of colour, this is a battle cry from your part, when the reality is BLM will die an ignominious death. The B, in BLM, is for Blacks. You yourself are dividing colour thus guilty of creating divisions.

There is a reason the like of Senna are held above the like of LH - you can't buy humbleness and heart for love nor money.
    Last edited by The Viper; 7th December 2020 at 00:13.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    .Ok, as far as I can see Hamilton wants F1 to take a strong anti-racism stance. The BLM movement will eventually generalise to support all people of colour. That’s got to be a good thing.
    No it won’t , is a political movement . My issue is people demanding or pressuring others.

F1 is about the cars not the drivers so he shouldn’t win for this reason alone
    Last edited by The Viper; 7th December 2020 at 00:14.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No it won’t , is a political movement . My issue is people demanding or pressuring others.

F1 is about the cars not the drivers so he shouldn’t win for this reason alone
    Well, obviously the idea of races being equal under the law is a political position. Which I support and hope you do too.

In the eighties, social pressure not to give custom to certain banks and not buy South African produce helped bring about the end of apartheid.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Tyson Fury sends legal letter to BBC to have himself removed from SPOTY 2020 shortlist

Tyson Fury has had his lawyers deliver a letter to the BBC ordering them to remove his name from the Sports Personality of the Year shortlist after his “polite” video request was ignored.

The WBC heavyweight champion posted a video earlier this month on Instagram claiming that he did not want to be included on the six-person shortlist as he is the “people’s champion”.

The BBC have continued to include Fury’s name alongside the other contenders for this year’s award, which features seven-time Formula One world champion Lewis Hamilton, Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson, jockey Hollie Doyle, snooker world champion Ronnie O’Sullivan and cricketer Stuart Broad.

The broadcaster also confirmed that they would not remove Fury from the shortlist, with a vote during this Sunday’s ceremony set to decide the winner of the prestigious award.

But Fury revealed on Monday that he has taken further action to try and have himself taken off the shortlist, with his legal team sending a letter to the BBC in an attempt to force their hand.

"I have asked nicely in a video to be taken off the list and they decided that they were not going to take me off the list,” Fury said on ITV’s Good Morning Britain.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...-b1773044.html

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    UFC fighter Khabib Nurmagomedov has been voted BBC Sports Personality's World Sport Star of the Year.

The Russian, 32, extended his perfect professional record to 29 wins with an emotional victory over interim champion Justin Gaethje in October.

The UFC lightweight champion fought just months after the death of his father, coach and mentor Abdulmanap.

Considered by some to be the greatest mixed martial arts fighter of all time, he retired straight after his victory.

Nurmagomedov's 29-0 record in MMA included 13 straight victories under the UFC banner.

He successfully defended his lightweight title on three occasions, and was seen as one of the most dominant athletes in MMA history.

Topping an online public vote, Nurmagomedov beat off competition from Swedish pole vaulter Armand Duplantis, American basketball great LeBron James, American golfer Dustin Johnson, French footballer Wendie Renard, and Irish boxer Katie Taylor.

Last year's winner was marathon runner Eliud Kipchoge, who won the London Marathon for a fourth time and became the first person to run a marathon in under two hours in October 2019.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/55330719

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Sports Personality of the Year 2020: Lewis Hamilton crowned winner

Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton has been voted BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2020.

One of F1's all-time great drivers, he equalled Michael Schumacher's record of seven world titles with his fourth consecutive championship in 2020.

The 35-year-old, from Stevenage, also surpassed Schumacher's total of 91 grand prix wins.

In a public vote, Liverpool captain Jordan Henderson finished second while jockey Hollie Doyle was third.

Boxer Tyson Fury, England cricketer Stuart Broad and snooker great Ronnie O'Sullivan were also shortlisted for the main award.

"I want to say congratulations to all the incredible nominees," said Hamilton. "I'm so proud of what they have achieved and I want to say thank you to everyone that has voted for me.

"I wasn't expecting this knowing there's so many great contenders.

"I want to say Merry Christmas to everyone - it's been such an unusual year and I want to mention all the front line workers and all the children round the world, I want you to try and stay positive through this difficult time, I'm sending you all positivity. Thank you from the bottom of my heart."

It is the second time Hamilton has been crowned Sports Personality of the Year, having first won the award in 2014.

He is also a four-time runner-up, most recently in 2019.

Hamilton, who holds the record for most pole positions, won 11 of the 17 grands prix during the 2020 season, which started four months late because of the coronavirus pandemic. He achieved three further podium finishes.

Speaking to BBC Breakfast's Sally Nugent, Hamilton also paid tribute to Captain Sir Tom Moore, who was honoured with the Helen Rollason Award for his incredible fundraising efforts during lockdown, Young Unsung Hero winner Tobias Weller, and Manchester United and England footballer Marcus Rashford, who won a special award.

"There's so many great stories out there," said Hamilton. "And so I truly wasn't expecting it.

"Your heart's always pumping in those last few seconds when they're announcing because you have absolutely no idea who was called in. But I am so, so, so grateful to the British public.

"This definitely goes a long way to giving me the best Christmas that I can have given the circumstances."

The Sports Personality of the Year 2020 was broadcast live from MediaCityUK, Salford, in front of a 1,000-strong virtual audience and millions of BBC One viewers.

Football pundit Alex Scott joined the presenting line-up alongside Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan to look back on a truly unusual year of sport.

Other award winners at Sports Personality 2020
    Helen Rollason Award: Captain Sir Tom Moore

Expert Special Panel Award: Marcus Rashford

Coach of the Year: Jurgen Klopp

Team of the Year: Liverpool FC

Unsung Hero: Sgt Matt Ratana

Captain Tom Young Unsung Hero: Tobias Weller

Young Sports Personality of the Year: Andrea Spendolini-Sirieix

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/sports-personality/55336369

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Inevitable really.

Knighted in New Year Honours List?

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One of the gems of the BBC. Great work by all esp the presenters for pulling of a brilliant live show under the circumstances.

I voted for Hendo , nice to see him get 2nd prize and Klopp coach of the year, with LFC team of the year.

Nice to hear Marcus Rashford speak, a truly wonderful person for the work he has done kids.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1066 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    One of the gems of the BBC. Great work by all esp the presenters for pulling of a brilliant live show under the circumstances.

I voted for Hendo , nice to see him get 2nd prize and Klopp coach of the year, with LFC team of the year.

Nice to hear Marcus Rashford speak, a truly wonderful person for the work he has done kids.
    Agreed, a very impressive young man.