Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Australia reach 166/2 on Day 1 of the 3rd Test against India in Sydney

Australia and India will go again in Sydney from Thursday, 7 January, in what promises to be a thrilling next installment in an enticing Test series.

Overview

Australia v India, 3rd Test
    Sydney Cricket Ground, Sydney
    Thursday, 7 January – Monday, 11 January, 10.30am local time, 11.30pm (-1) GMT

This may well be the most crucial match of the series. The side that wins this Test will ensure they won’t lose the series, and with a significant break since India won the Boxing Day Test in Melbourne, both teams have had a chance to rest up and recalibrate their plans.

On the face of it, Australia will be confident of taking the lead in the series. Ahead of the Test, Justin Langer, their coach, said David Warner was “very, very, very likely to play” while they are also expected to slot Will Pucovski into their XI, most likely as an opener, which would mean Matthew Wade would shift down the order.

Meanwhile, India are set to welcome back their own high-flying opener. Rohit Sharma has been named in the XI in place of Mayank Agarwal, who has struggled so far in this series. Rohit averages over 92 while opening the batting in Tests, although all his five Tests as opener have been at home, and India will hope he can see them through the new ball and set things up for the rest of the batsmen.

India have also named another debutant pacer for the Sydney Test. Navdeep Saini is set to make his Test debut after being named in the XI as a replacement for the injured Umesh Yadav, and India fans will hope he can cope as well as Mohammed Siraj did on his debut in Melbourne.

Remember the last time:

India headed into the second Test of the series without their talisman Virat Kohli and with the wounds of 36 all out still raw. However, they coped commendably. Under Ajinkya Rahane’s shrewd captaincy, India’s bowlers nipped out Australia for 195 before their batsmen – with Rahane leading the way with a battling century – posted 326.

In the second innings, Australia once again struggled against India’s attack – both pace and spin – and India were left with a target of 70 runs to win on the fourth day. They managed that with eight wickets to spare.

What they said:

Tim Paine (Australia captain): “It's boiling away, there's some stuff starting to happen, a bit of chat starting to happen. I think this Test is going to be fascinating not just from a cricket point of view, but I think there's a bit of tension starting to boil under the surface.”

Ajinkya Rahane (India captain): "As a batsman, Jadeja has improved a lot, and that's a massive thing from the team's perspective ... when you know your No.7 can contribute with the bat, you know a good score can be achieved.”

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Baltic Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hopefully, India will win the toss and bat first.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2623 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Brave call by Aussies- opted to bat first here. But, this game will be a real test for Indian bowling - missing four pacers that would have started ahead of two here.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Australia won the toss & batting first

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gilly said production factory of fast bowlers on Saini’s inclusion.. 😂😂😂

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good toss to win for Australia. Hopefully india will make use of the first 1 hr well.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck Saini. He is a very good red ball bowler with his pace and bounce. Hopefully he will maintain the line through out. 🙏🏾.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBayPackers View Post
    Good luck Saini. He is a very good red ball bowler with his pace and bounce. Hopefully he will maintain the line through out. 🙏🏾.
    Yeah hopefully does not get overawed and bowl short. Bowl full and straight

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is a full strength Australian side.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No chance India is competing here. Imagine a full-strength India playing at home against an Australia without Steve Smith, Josh Hazlewood, Mitchell Starc, and James Pattinson? That's the kind of situation right now. Just that its entirely opposite.

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now we are talking about something.let's go beat them and bring them down back to earth just like they did in 2nd innings of first test.I would love to see 36 all out again.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Aus: 179 all out by tea.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good toss for India to lose, a bit of cloud and rain predicted.. I still think AUS will bat out of their skin and get a good score, put Indians in a lot of pressure.

"You want Philly, Philly ? " Nicholas Edward Foles

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Questions must be asked how so many of the Indian players suddenly got injured during the Test Championship. By chance or was there some systemic issue? On the other hand, Ozzies will play against what's in front of them and the scoreline still holds weight regardless of how depleted India is.

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to see Indian bowlers scoring centuries here.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    This is a full strength Australian side.
    This is not a full strength Indian side.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Up and ready for the match at 4:30 AM IST

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Up and ready for the match at 4:30 AM IST
    Lol reminds me of old days in Punjab. Cold winter morning. Prepping tea before match starts.
    I am in Australia now so much better to follow.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Expecting some quality cricket from both sides.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wish. There is a ton of difference between white ball and red ball. I don’t think that’s happening today.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Regarding Agarwal - disappointed to see him lose his touch so quickly. His stance looks off and he seems to be having issues against Starc. How he emerges from this would be important. Kohli came back very strongly after his disastrous England tour but not everyone is a Kohli. However, Agarwal is a hardworking guy.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BreadPakoda View Post
    Regarding Agarwal - disappointed to see him lose his touch so quickly. His stance looks off and he seems to be having issues against Starc. How he emerges from this would be important. Kohli came back very strongly after his disastrous England tour but not everyone is a Kohli. However, Agarwal is a hardworking guy.
    He will come back. He has already seen failures in first class so he is battle hardened for sure.
    Just need to sort his technique a bit to be all format player.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pucovski with an old school hairstyle.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only Indian phanti by Australia can relax me now.🤷*♂️

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Questions must be asked how so many of the Indian players suddenly got injured during the Test Championship. By chance or was there some systemic issue? On the other hand, Ozzies will play against what's in front of them and the scoreline still holds weight regardless of how depleted India is.
    Hmmm..good call M8....By that logic I suppose you'd accept 2-1 in 2018 and if not for the rain in Sydney 3-1 was a fair indication of that series?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Saini is in for a spanking, India's Mohamad Sami...

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder who in the Indian camp is making all this noise about not going to Brisbane. I seriously don't understand what the fuss is about being quarantined in the hotel after the day's play. What is this urge to go out to shop and dine? Can't they do it some other time, like next year? This ordeal is going on for far too long.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shami’s was of bad luck. Rest might be due to workload of IPL.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    I wonder who in the Indian camp is making all this noise about not going to Brisbane. I seriously don't understand what the fuss is about being quarantined in the hotel after the day's play. What is this urge to go out to shop and dine? Can't they do it some other time, like next year? This ordeal is going on for far too long.
    Either they’re scared to play in Gabba or miffed at the blunt reply from Queensland MP.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    India is playing without 4 pacers who would have played ahead of two newbies. Two pacers with 0-1 tests. India is missing the best batsman they had.

The result is predictable. Yes, I know what happened in the 2nd test, but that was probably the best comeback I have ever seen. It does not happen all the time.

The result is pretty much known to me, still want to see some good cricket here.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Warner looking good.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pucovski debuting after 24 FC matches, definitely not as much fun as debuting players after 1, 3, 4 etc matches.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This pucovski looks good after watching 2 overs

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pucovski is the strangest looking cricketer in recent times 😁
    Warner looking like he’s gonna be painful

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this looks flat

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    India is playing without 4 pacers who would have played ahead of two newbies. Two pacers with 0-1 tests. India is missing the best batsman they had.

The result is predictable. Yes, I know what happened in the 2nd test, but that was probably the best comeback I have ever seen. It does not happen all the time.

The result is pretty much known to me, still want to see some good cricket here.
    Shami, Ishant and Yadav... who am I forgetting?

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this guy pucovski will be world class

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RHB opener shuffles quite a bit. As long as he does not miss a straight one on his pads....

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Four pacers? Did you mean Bhuvi, Ishant, Shami and Yadav? I am not sure they would have played Bhuvi ahead of Saini in Australia. His kind of bowling doesn’t suit Australian pitches.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shamaan View Post
    this guy pucovski will be world class
    Please stop giving him the Naseem Shah treatment. Pitch looks easy. All he’s done is leave some non-threatening bowling

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yk313 View Post
    Shami, Ishant and Yadav... who am I forgetting?
    They would have surely played Bhuvneshwar Kumar. I don't think he would be too successful in Aus, but no way they would put two pacers with no experience debuting same time in Aus.

"If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its goona be long day for indian bowlers

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They would have surely played Bhuvneshwar Kumar. I don't think he would be too successful in Aus, but no way they would put two pacers with no experience debuting same time in Aus.
    Agree to disagree on that one. Don’t feel there would have much point but then again I don’t follow IND as closely these days.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dingolfy View Post
    Four pacers? Did you mean Bhuvi, Ishant, Shami and Yadav? I am not sure they would have played Bhuvi ahead of Saini in Australia. His kind of bowling doesn’t suit Australian pitches.
    I don't think two newbies would have come ahead of Bhuvneshwar. May be one. Also, Bhuvneshar bats as well.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like it’s gonna be a fun day for Pak posters today unless Ashwin turns on something

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Siraj gets Warner.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sirajjjjj

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The RHB opener shuffles quite a bit. As long as he does not miss a straight one on his pads....
    Seems like the front leg seems planted prematurely with a small front press. The bat has to come from the side and then cover the pad.

As for Warner, some slightly lazy wafts. Well below 100%.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gone. Wicket number 1. Well bowled siraj. Warner was looking comfortable there

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devadwal View Post
    Its goona be long day for indian bowlers
    Spinners can decide the game.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    Looks like it’s gonna be a fun day for Pak posters today unless Ashwin turns on something
    No need. Well deserved wicket. Warner’s clearly undercooked (watch the previous ball and his running).

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Warner had to bat for some time. Aus just needs to bat normally and the match is won.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woohoo Warner gone!!

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think two newbies would have come ahead of Bhuvneshwar. May be one. Also, Bhuvneshar bats as well.
    But he bowls too slow for Aussie pitches. I believe he was kept out of a Test in South Africa for the same reason.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah...Bhuvneshwar wouldn't have played here, you need pace in Aus.

Anyways, it's pointless to call Bhuvneshwar a miss, he hasn't played a test in 3 years and I don't think he's gonna last too long.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I hope this issue gets resolved soon so we can focus on the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingolfy View Post
    Either they’re scared to play in Gabba or miffed at the blunt reply from Queensland MP.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Only Sir Don Bradman was younger than Pucovski when he scored 3 double centuries in FC cricket.

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Terrible shot by Warner.

Clearly not physically fit enough.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashmal View Post
    Terrible shot by Warner.

Clearly not physically fit enough.
    The previous delivery too he threw his hands at it, almost wearily.

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL He averages 168 in Australia and yeah not with the bat

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    372 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pucovski is pretty good based on what he has done in domestic.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Damn he was the only one who was able to score for Australia.

Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope Steve Smith fires tofay

Debut
    Aug 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    88 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The previous delivery too he threw his hands at it, almost wearily.
    Yes, looked like he wanted to score as many as he can before his fitness gave in.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    puvcoski is looking good

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pilowski looks good

Debut
    Aug 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is flat

Debut
    May 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by choudhary6964 View Post
    I hope Steve Smith fires tofay
    Itna gussa kyun bhai?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bumrah looking a bit toothless here.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why is Bumrah classified as a Right arm Fast instead of medium fast hes only hitting 140ks?

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, looked like he wanted to score as many as he can before his fitness gave in.
    Seemed like it, yup.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hmmm Indians are going to struggle to get wickets here...

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to see IND are awake. Pucovski slightly falling across and they have brought in a straight ish catcher. Let’s see how long the showers last.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It might backfire if he can’t field well also. They could have kept Head in middle order and shouldn’t have rush Warner.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Romali_rotti View Post
    Hmmm Indians are going to struggle to get wickets here...
    Its predicted to have few rain interruptions today. I live some 32 kms away from SCG and its been cloudy and small showers here for last few weeks. That might help India to break the flow.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    India is riding high on confidence here

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Covers are getting removed , Indian bowlers tail would be up here

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i don't get it. Why Naseem and Shaheen and Musa bowl the similar delivery to Warner and get an edge ?
    What is so special by Siraj?

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Match delayed again , drizzle

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hoshiarpurexpress View Post
    i don't get it. Why Naseem and Shaheen and Musa bowl the similar delivery to Warner and get an edge ?
    What is so special by Siraj?
    Nothing , just determination to succeed