Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 53 of 53
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    145,020
    Mentioned
    2722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    Kagiso Rabada and Dwaine Pretorius return for SA's 2-match Test series to be played in Pakistan

    JOHANNESBURG: Daryn Dupavillon and Ottneil Baarman have been included into the Proteas Test squad for the two-match series in Pakistan. It is the former’s maiden Test call-up and the latter’s first national team inclusion.

    South Africa’s historical tour to Pakistan will see them play in the country for the first time in 14 years, from 26 January to 14 February 2021. The Test series in Karachi and Rawalpindi will be followed by three T20 internationals in Lahore.

    The 21-strong squad includes the majority of the players that were originally named in the home Test series against Sri Lanka. The attack is strengthened by the returns of Kagiso Rabada and Dwaine Pretorius – both of whom are fully fit to play – with a spin-bowling boost in the inclusions of Tabraiz Shamsi and George Linde.

    Oudtshoorn-born Baartman boasts 82 First-Class wickets from 28 matches with best bowling figures of 14/95 at an average of 26.84. His franchise teammate Dupavillon, has 59 First-Class matches under his belt, with 189 wickets to his name and best bowling figures 11/104 at an average of 23.88. The pair, if given the opportunity to play, will be exciting players to look out for.

    “As a selection panel, we are very excited to see how the tour of Pakistan will pan out for the players we have chosen,” commented Convenor of Selectors, Victor Mpitsang.

    “We are confident in our selections and believe in rewarding good performances both on and off the field, which is why we have gone with the core of the group that was selected for the Sri Lanka home series.

    “Considering that the conditions that will be faced are largely unknown to the South African team, we wanted to strengthen the attack with the skill sets that Tabraiz Shamsi and George Linde have to offer, while giving players like Daryn Dupavillon and Ottneil Baartman an opportunity after making strong cases for themselves in recent seasons,” Mpitsang concluded.


    The Proteas Test squad to Pakistan is as follows:

    Quinton de Kock (captain, Momentum Multiply Titans), Temba Bavuma (Imperial Lions), Aiden Markram (Momentum Multiply Titans), Faf du Plessis (Momentum Multiply Titans), Dean Elgar (Momentum Multiply Titans), Kagiso Rabada (Imperial Lions), Dwaine Pretorius (Imperial Lions), Keshav Maharaj (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Lungi Ngidi (Momentum Multiply Titans), Rassie van der Dussen (Imperial Lions), Anrich Nortje (Warriors), Wiaan Mulder (Imperial Lions), Lutho Sipamla (Imperial Lions), Beuran Hendricks (Imperial Lions), Kyle Verreynne (Six Gun Gill Cape Cobras), Sarel Erwee (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Keegan Petersen (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Tabraiz Shamsi (Momentum Multiply Titans), George Linde (Six Gun Grill Cape Cobras), Daryn Dupavillon (Hollywoodbets Dolphins), Ottniel Baartman (Hollywoodbets Dolphins).


    Those players selected for the Test squad who form part of franchise teams for the Momentum One-Day Cup fixtures coming up in the next few days, will still take part in the competition. The contest has been moved into a Bio-Secure Environment (BSE) in Potchefstroom.

    The squad will depart for Pakistan on Friday, 15 January, followed by the T20 squad at a later date. The teams will travel commercially and enter into a period of quarantine in Karachi before commencing with training and intra-squad practice matches.


    The T20 squad announcement will follow next week.

    Pakistan Test Series vs South Africa Itinerary

    26-30 January – 1st Test, Karachi

    04-08 February – 2nd Test, Rawalpindi


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    2,842
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full-strength South African squad which means Pakistan will have their work cut out for them. I was hoping Rabada would miss out but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    The question is though whether travelling commercial is the best choice, especially considering what happened with Pakistan travelling commercial to New Zealand?

  3. #3
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    43,472
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    southafrica should win the series , pakistan is at best at west indies level at the moment.


    It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    27,391
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good to see a full strength South Africa squad on their way.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    145,020
    Mentioned
    2722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    southafrica should win the series , pakistan is at best at west indies level at the moment.
    Different at home I hope


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    7,114
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Keen to see how KG performs in Pak.


    ...

  7. #7
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    1,754
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With Rabada and Ngidi on the plane Pakistan will not be producing any seam friendly wickets. May as well go the whole hog and make it a dustbowl.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    311
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really good news that full strength SA side is traveling.

    I think series will end 1-1 with Pakistan wining in Karachi & SA in Rawalpindi (if weather allows the match to be completed).
    In Karachi Pakistan can prepare a spinning track & SA won't have any answers for that.

    It would be a lot harder for Pakistan to prepare a spinning track in pindi. So Pindi wicket will suit SA alot & if SA wins the toss & bowl first then on a normal pindi day in feb where I don't think sun will be fully out till 10 or 11 & by that time SA could blow Pakistan away like 50 odd for 4 before lunch on day 1.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    311
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    With Rabada and Ngidi on the plane Pakistan will not be producing any seam friendly wickets. May as well go the whole hog and make it a dustbowl.
    In karachi sure they can prepare a dust bowl but I don't think they can prepare that kind of track in pindi during January.

  10. #10
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    43,472
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Should have played one test in multan instead , but pribably security measures made them choose rawalpindi.


    It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

  11. #11
    Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    21,120
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    Keen to see how KG performs in Pak.
    Rabada can't perform in Asia at all. A GTB if ever there was one.

    Bet Pakistan (Azhar, Babar) will negotiate him easy.


    Have some Sehwag in your life.

  12. #12
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    12,757
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Another whitewash on the card. Bad news for 3 blood sucking leeches Mani, Misbah and Waqar.
    Last edited by Shafi; 8th January 2021 at 18:17.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    311
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JibranAnsari View Post
    Should have played one test in multan instead , but pribably security measures made them choose rawalpindi.
    What security measures? Multan was a better choice security & weather wise. Remember tehreek لبیک have given a deadline of 17th jan for the protests to start again if I'm not wrong.
    And their beloved spot is faizabad which is about 2 km away from Pindi Stadium so it would have been better for PCB to come up with some sort of agreement with multan govt to hold 1 test in multan because last time when Zimbabwe toured it was because of multan govt that the odi's weren't held there.

  14. #14
    Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    525
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    With Rabada and Ngidi on the plane Pakistan will not be producing any seam friendly wickets. May as well go the whole hog and make it a dustbowl.
    There are no dust bowls in Pakistan. Not in National Stadium or Rawalpindi stadium at least. For some reason, everyone here is expecting rank turners when the reality is that our batsmen play seam and swing much better than they do spin. Our only adversary is bounce and that is not a problem in Pakistan. At best we will get flat batting tracks with some assistance for pace and spin. We won't make green tracks or rank turners as we don't have confidence in outplaying SA in either department.
    Last edited by KoyoAli; 8th January 2021 at 18:36.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    532
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KoyoAli View Post
    There are no dust bowls in Pakistan. Not in National Stadium or Rawalpindi stadium at least. For some reason, everyone here is expecting rank turners when the reality is that our batsmen play seam and swing much better than they do spin. Our only adversary is bounce and that is not a problem in Pakistan. At best we will get flat batting tracks with some assistance for pace and spin. We won't make green tracks or rank turners as we don't have confidence in outplaying SA in either department.
    True. Recent NZ tour proved your point.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    6,247
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excited for this. Full strength South Africa side is great to see

  17. #17
    Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    43,472
    Mentioned
    591 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ChTab View Post
    What security measures? Multan was a better choice security & weather wise. Remember tehreek لبیک have given a deadline of 17th jan for the protests to start again if I'm not wrong.
    And their beloved spot is faizabad which is about 2 km away from Pindi Stadium so it would have been better for PCB to come up with some sort of agreement with multan govt to hold 1 test in multan because last time when Zimbabwe toured it was because of multan govt that the odi's weren't held there.
    usually the visiting teams at this point are not ready to play in cities other than these three. Thats where their security teams go.


    It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    525
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post
    True. Recent NZ tour proved your point.
    The fact that Boult and Southee were almost neutralized by us is the biggest proof. It was Jamieson's bounce and scoreboard pressure along with deflated morale due to fielding that was our undoing in 2nd test. We are so bad against spin that last time NZ toured, they won by playing Ajaz Patel and a debutent Off-spinner. What Sri Lanka did to us is in UAE is for all to see. So yeah making Rank turners is a) impossible in Karachi and Pindi b) a literal suicide.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    645
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    With Rabada and Ngidi on the plane Pakistan will not be producing any seam friendly wickets. May as well go the whole hog and make it a dustbowl.
    It will be very easy to make a spinning pitch in Karachi, and you could expect spin as early as the second session of Day 2 if the pitch is made correctly.

    South Africa won't be able to compete with spin, and Maharaj being their only spinner will mean that Pakistan won't be troubled too often.

    We should win the toss and bat first in Karachi, pile on the runs, and then bowl South Africa out cheaply.

    Pindi will be a confusing track, because the wicket does support swing bowling as we saw against Zimbabwe, so preparing a dust bowl will be difficult. The next best thing is to let the wicket absorb sunlight, and get cracks and become dry which will assist the spinners.

    In Pindi, you have to again bat first and hope that the wicket dries quickly in the sunlight.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    17,187
    Mentioned
    740 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KoyoAli View Post
    The fact that Boult and Southee were almost neutralized by us is the biggest proof. It was Jamieson's bounce and scoreboard pressure along with deflated morale due to fielding that was our undoing in 2nd test. We are so bad against spin that last time NZ toured, they won by playing Ajaz Patel and a debutent Off-spinner. What Sri Lanka did to us is in UAE is for all to see. So yeah making Rank turners is a) impossible in Karachi and Pindi b) a literal suicide.
    Boult and Southee have lost quite a bit of pace in recent times. The last thing you want to give the Saffer attack is a deck with a bit of movement because the Rabada and Nortje are much quicker than Boult and Southee. On the other hand, on normal SC pitches with a bit of spin that SA found last time they toured India completely neutralises the Saffer attack. See off the new ball spell by Rabada and he's completely impotent. His wide-angle release will never find success in Asia as it won't swing/seam away and you can play every delivery as an incoming delivery.


    'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'


  21. #21
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    2,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    Keen to see how KG performs in Pak.
    I think rabada will bowl well as he has played alot in the subcontinent in recent years he has toured india 2 times and sri lanka pretty recently .

    He has failed in india, however by now he should have learned how to bowl in Asia

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,284
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rabada is one man, I don't really rate the rest of the SA bowling line up. I seen them against SL and most of their wickets were attained from poor shot selection as oppose to supreme bowling. This SA bowling line up in a breath of fresh air compared to NZ which has 2 of his premium fast bowlers in the top 10 test bowler rankings.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    12,757
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Last time unknown Aijaz Patel destroyed our batting. Mahraj is far better bowler than Patel. Not sure spinning pitch will help us or not.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,284
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shafi View Post
    Last time unknown Aijaz Patel destroyed our batting. Mahraj is far better bowler than Patel. Not sure spinning pitch will help us or not.
    Mahraj is ok but nothing special, a very Mitchell Santner like action. The SA bowling line-up doesn't look that strong with limited experience on Asian conditions i.e. The attack will mainly consist of who Rabada, Ngidi, Simpala, Nortje and Mahraj. It's not that threatening a bowling attack rather are boys face this than Philander.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    90,557
    Mentioned
    7027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    The presence or absence of Rabada or any other pacer doesn’t make much of a difference. We will score roughly the same number of runs regardless of the bowling unit of SA.

    The onus is on our joke bowling attack. Whether we win or lose the series depends on whether the worst fast bowling unit in the world turns up or not, unless the pitch is a complete dust-bowl which will make Yasir’s performance the decisive factor.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    532
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The presence or absence of Rabada or any other pacer doesn’t make much of a difference. We will score roughly the same number of runs regardless of the bowling unit of SA.

    The onus is on our joke bowling attack. Whether we win or lose the series depends on whether the worst fast bowling unit in the world turns up or not, unless the pitch is a complete dust-bowl which will make Yasir’s performance the decisive factor.
    True

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    2,294
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2-0 to SA. Our team is a joke atm

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,284
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed216 View Post
    2-0 to SA. Our team is a joke atm
    Rabada is one man, the other bowlers aren't as good and aren't as experienced.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Almere, Netherlands
    Runs
    1,510
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nobody talking about Nortje?? That is one bowler who will trouble our batsmen the most.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Aug 2011
    Runs
    21,465
    Mentioned
    366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Full-strength South African squad which means Pakistan will have their work cut out for them. I was hoping Rabada would miss out but that doesn't seem to be the case.

    The question is though whether travelling commercial is the best choice, especially considering what happened with Pakistan travelling commercial to New Zealand?
    Why would you want to not have the best bowler from opposition touring? Win or lose, it's good to have quality cricket.


    "If this happens I will swim across the Charles River! In winter!" -- OZGOD on NZ batting 6 sessions

  31. #31
    Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    525
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Boult and Southee have lost quite a bit of pace in recent times. The last thing you want to give the Saffer attack is a deck with a bit of movement because the Rabada and Nortje are much quicker than Boult and Southee. On the other hand, on normal SC pitches with a bit of spin that SA found last time they toured India completely neutralises the Saffer attack. See off the new ball spell by Rabada and he's completely impotent. His wide-angle release will never find success in Asia as it won't swing/seam away and you can play every delivery as an incoming delivery.
    Nope, I disagree. It's not pace we struggle against. It is bounce. The classic Pakistani collapse aside we would be fine against either Rabada or Nortge in Tests. And as I said before National Stadium is not a pitch for spinners. This whole QeA Trophy season not even one spinner put up a match-winning performance. The top 3 bowlers this season were spinners yet not one of them actually performed here. Rawalpindi is even more pace friendly. Also, the pitch in Karachi doesn't even deteriorate much, so trying to make a slow spinning track will only backfire and we would just end up with a draw.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    525
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    The presence or absence of Rabada or any other pacer doesn’t make much of a difference. We will score roughly the same number of runs regardless of the bowling unit of SA.

    The onus is on our joke bowling attack. Whether we win or lose the series depends on whether the worst fast bowling unit in the world turns up or not, unless the pitch is a complete dust-bowl which will make Yasir’s performance the decisive factor.
    It will not be one. We don't get dust-bowls in Karachi or Pindi. And if we did we don't play spin well ourselves.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    2,842
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buffet View Post
    Why would you want to not have the best bowler from opposition touring? Win or lose, it's good to have quality cricket.
    ? Because I want Pakistan to win.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    35,765
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The bowling looks strong. South Africa need to look at trying to get JP Malan and Zubayr Hamza into the test team. Faf Du Plessis has been a great servant for South Africa but test match cricket has never been his strongest suit and he is 36. Not convinced about Bavuma. Malan has shown his quality in international cricket and Hamza has done well in domestic cricket. South Africa showed against Sri Lanka they can bat at a decent rate against average bowling so our bowlers need to be on top of their game.

    The fast bowling is strong. Not sure about Shamsi as a test match spinner, Linde may play if SA need 2 spinners. He look good against England but it was T20 cricket.

    Won't be an easy series for Pakistan.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,876
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought we might be able to.draw the series but now i think with that squad we will lose

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    2,575
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Pindi match doesn't get affected by weather then a whitewash by SA, otherwise 1-0 to SA.

    Pakistani pitches does not suit Pakistan at all. Moving away from the UAE was a disaster for Pakistan not a blessing.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    2,842
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    The bowling looks strong. South Africa need to look at trying to get JP Malan and Zubayr Hamza into the test team. Faf Du Plessis has been a great servant for South Africa but test match cricket has never been his strongest suit and he is 36. Not convinced about Bavuma. Malan has shown his quality in international cricket and Hamza has done well in domestic cricket. South Africa showed against Sri Lanka they can bat at a decent rate against average bowling so our bowlers need to be on top of their game.

    The fast bowling is strong. Not sure about Shamsi as a test match spinner, Linde may play if SA need 2 spinners. He look good against England but it was T20 cricket.

    Won't be an easy series for Pakistan.
    He literally smashed his highest test score a couple of weeks ago. He has averaged over 40 in the last two years and is unquestionably their best batsman. Statistically he has an even better record than Elgar in the last 2 years.

    Bavuma will always have a place in the side until South Africa find a better black batsman.

  38. #38
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    2,194
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KoyoAli View Post
    The fact that Boult and Southee were almost neutralized by us is the biggest proof. It was Jamieson's bounce and scoreboard pressure along with deflated morale due to fielding that was our undoing in 2nd test. We are so bad against spin that last time NZ toured, they won by playing Ajaz Patel and a debutent Off-spinner. What Sri Lanka did to us is in UAE is for all to see. So yeah making Rank turners is a) impossible in Karachi and Pindi b) a literal suicide.
    Younis Khan: one of the best players of spin ever. Won us many series in UAE and Pakistan. Misbah was also a very good player of spin but didn't win many matches as Younis did.

  39. #39
    Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    613
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because of winter both the grounds will offer decent pace and swing movement. Our batting will be okay. Though I am concerned about our toothless bowling. Even if we put 400 on the board, the who will take twenty wickets. The odds of draw increase significantly in this scenario. And if our batting fails, then I am afraid SA will win this test series.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    6,592
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Maiden call-ups for Baartman, Dupavillon as South Africa name squad for Pakistan Tests

    South Africa will recieve a boost as Kagiso Rabada and Dwaine Pretorious return after recovering from injuries, while the spin attack is strengthened by the inclusion of Tabraiz Shamsi and George Linde.

    As many as five members of the 21-member squad could make their Test debuts in Pakistan, with seamers Ottniel Baartman and Daryn Dupavillon recieving their maiden call-ups in the format. Batsmen Sarel Erwee and Keegan Petersen are both yet to make their Proteas debuts in any format, while Kyle Verreyne has only appeared in ODIs to date. Tabraiz Shamsi's inclusion means he could make his first red-ball appearance for South Africa since 2018.

    Quinton de Kock's side are buoyed by their recent 2-0 series win over Sri Lanka, which gave them 120 points in the ICC World Test Championship, and will be looking to continue that success on their first visit to Pakistan in 14 years where they will play two Tests.

    Rabada missed both Tests against Sri Lanka due to a groin injury and his return to full fitness will provide some welcome experience to lead the attack. Pretorius too has been cleared to play after recovering from a hamstring strain.

    Convener of Selectors Victor Mpitsang was cautious about the alien nature of conditions in Pakistan to the squad, but remained confident that they possessed enough depth in key areas.

    Mpitsang said: "Considering that the conditions that will be faced are largely unknown to the South African team, we wanted to strengthen the attack with the skill sets that Tabraiz Shamsi and George Linde have to offer, while giving players like Daryn Dupavillon and Ottneil Baartman an opportunity after making strong cases for themselves in recent seasons."

    Test squad: Quinton de Kock (captain), Temba Bavuma, Aiden Markram, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Kagiso Rabada, Dwaine Pretorius, Keshav Maharaj, Lungi Ngidi, Rassie van der Dussen, Anrich Nortje, Wiaan Mulder, Lutho Sipamla, Beuran Hendricks, Kyle Verreynne, Sarel Erwee, Keegan Petersen, Tabraiz Shamsi, George Linde, Daryn Dupavillon, Ottniel Baartman

    https://www.icc-cricket.com/news/1968319

  41. #41
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    35,765
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    He literally smashed his highest test score a couple of weeks ago. He has averaged over 40 in the last two years and is unquestionably their best batsman. Statistically he has an even better record than Elgar in the last 2 years.

    Bavuma will always have a place in the side until South Africa find a better black batsman.

    He has a good record but I see more of a LO batter who is a solid test player.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    2,842
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hasan123 View Post
    He has a good record but I see more of a LO batter who is a solid test player.
    You need to look a little more closely at South Africa's current batting line-up. Take out Elgar and there is no one. vd Dussen is completely new to the format. Markram has been very inconsistent in the last two years. Bavuma is mediocre and de Kock too has been very inconsistent as of late. Hamza and de Bryun were pushed at the top of the order and both failed badly.

    I agree that Malan should get a shot but not at the expense of du Plessis. Him and Elgar are the only ones holding South Africa's batting together.

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    79,595
    Mentioned
    2104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The bowling line-up looks like it will trouble Pakistan, as most bowling attacks do. But Pakistan's bowlers should get more joy out of this batting line-up than they did against New Zealand.



  44. #44
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    90,557
    Mentioned
    7027 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Faf is not in the same league as Kallis, Amla and de Villiers as a Test batsman, but he is very important to this inexperienced and fragile South African lineup for now. They need him around for a couple of more years.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,284
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    The bowling line-up looks like it will trouble Pakistan, as most bowling attacks do. But Pakistan's bowlers should get more joy out of this batting line-up than they did against New Zealand.
    Who exactly besides Rabada would give us issues? Ngidi? Nortje? Mahraj? Mulder? The bowling attack is a breath of fresh air in comparison to that NZ attack.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    148
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol we’re going to get slapped. Along with being Misbah’s last series it will also signal the end for Wasim Khan who will realise how poor we truly are and the little hope there is in improving. He won’t sign an extension and will leave.

  47. #47
    Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    1,284
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone know the average speeds of the SA bowlers?

    I know Rabada is the quickest but would be interesting figures.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    575
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoaibbtt View Post
    Anyone know the average speeds of the SA bowlers?

    I know Rabada is the quickest but would be interesting figures.
    Rabada usually bowls 140km to 145km.
    Nortje is pure express. He's always around 143km to 150km and he maintains his speeds.
    Ngidi is a weird one. When he's fit and healthy, he gets it's around 138km to 143km but recently he's been around early 130s. Something is not right with him. I don't have evidence but I suspect there might be issues with injury or a problem with Boucher.
    Then there's Wiaan Mulder the All-rounder , He's around the 125km to 133km. If he continues to bowl the line and length he bowled against Sri Lanka, he'll surprise a lot of people. He swings the ball and balls in good areas. A low grade Vernon Philander. His bowling average at domestic franchise level is 23 with a batting Average of 39. Massive talent.

    Dwaine Pretorius is around 123km to 129km. He's pure military medium and quite frankly not Good enough to play test cricket. Daryn Dupavillion should have played international cricket long ago. Injuries have messed him up quite a bit. He's bowls around the 140 to 145km bracket. He seams the balls and looks very good. He's a far better bowler than Nortje IMO. Lutho Sipamla is a 22 year old kid that divides opinion. Some feel he's a "qouta" player but I feel there's talent there. He's got a good action but for some reason his pace isn't consistent. He's usually around 128km to 136km. It's hard to gauge his bowling speed range. Then there's Ottneil Baartman. I've yet to see him play. I don't have an idea about his quality or bowling speed.

  49. #49
    Debut
    Oct 2020
    Runs
    525
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    Younis Khan: one of the best players of spin ever. Won us many series in UAE and Pakistan. Misbah was also a very good player of spin but didn't win many matches as Younis did.
    Yeah and that was our golden era. After that, no one here can play quality spin. Asad was good against spin when he used to bat with Younis as Younis's positivity rubbed on him and he would play aggressively and sweep a lot. However at this point, we are garbage against good spin and will get exposed.

  50. #50
    Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    9,154
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Dwaine Pretorius still playing cricket in 2021, cba anymore. Then again nations with better resources than ours have been through this process. Probably need 1 world class batsman and a decent no.3 to supplement Makram and QdK, probably a test standard bowler as well. Only then can we dream of being competitive.

  51. #51
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    7,328
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This should be an excellent series

  52. #52
    Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    575
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by soso_killer View Post
    Dwaine Pretorius still playing cricket in 2021, cba anymore. Then again nations with better resources than ours have been through this process. Probably need 1 world class batsman and a decent no.3 to supplement Makram and QdK, probably a test standard bowler as well. Only then can we dream of being competitive.
    He's not a test match All-rounder. It's actually surprising that he's managed to play limited overs and tests. Madness actually.

  53. #53
    Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    35,904
    Mentioned
    1227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magician View Post
    Rabada usually bowls 140km to 145km.
    Nortje is pure express. He's always around 143km to 150km and he maintains his speeds.
    Ngidi is a weird one. When he's fit and healthy, he gets it's around 138km to 143km but recently he's been around early 130s. Something is not right with him. I don't have evidence but I suspect there might be issues with injury or a problem with Boucher.
    Then there's Wiaan Mulder the All-rounder , He's around the 125km to 133km. If he continues to bowl the line and length he bowled against Sri Lanka, he'll surprise a lot of people. He swings the ball and balls in good areas. A low grade Vernon Philander. His bowling average at domestic franchise level is 23 with a batting Average of 39. Massive talent.

    Dwaine Pretorius is around 123km to 129km. He's pure military medium and quite frankly not Good enough to play test cricket. Daryn Dupavillion should have played international cricket long ago. Injuries have messed him up quite a bit. He's bowls around the 140 to 145km bracket. He seams the balls and looks very good. He's a far better bowler than Nortje IMO. Lutho Sipamla is a 22 year old kid that divides opinion. Some feel he's a "qouta" player but I feel there's talent there. He's got a good action but for some reason his pace isn't consistent. He's usually around 128km to 136km. It's hard to gauge his bowling speed range. Then there's Ottneil Baartman. I've yet to see him play. I don't have an idea about his quality or bowling speed.
    Good insight.

    SA have included a raft of new faces in their recent Test squads, but seems most of them are proven domestic campaigners. Pakistan will have their hands full but our biggest issue is taking 20 wickets.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •