Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Mohammed Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah suffer racial abuse by crowd during Sydney Test

India lodge complaint of racial abuse against Siraj, Bumrah at SCG

The Indian team management has lodged a complaint about two of their players - Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammad Siraj - having faced racial abuse from the crowd at the Sydney Cricket Ground during the third Test. It is learnt that the abuse had occurred over the second and third day of the Test match.

It all came to a head at the end of the third day's play when a bunch of senior players led by captain Ajinkya Rahane, R Ashwin spoke to the two umpires Paul Reiffel and Paul Wilson and brought to their notice that two of their players had been subjected to the abuse.

There was a discussion between the umpires, security officials and the said Indian players for close to five minutes after the close of play. The Indian team then hung around in the dressing room for a while when the India security official had a quick chat with the security officers at the ground, and also the ICC security official present at the venue.
    Last edited by KoyoAli; 9th January 2021 at 15:22.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Absolutely disgusting. Hopefully the people are found and banned from entering a cricket ground again.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Baltic Sea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Aussie crowds have always been racist. Remember kick a P#ki banners in the crowd during Pak's 1981 tour of Aus when Lillee and Miandad got in a physical altercation.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by szrana007 View Post
    Well, Aussie crowds have always been racist. Remember kick a P#ki banners in the crowd during Pak's 1981 tour of Aus when Lillee and Miandad got in a physical altercation.
    I always get my blood boil when I see that. Miandad had do retaliate after repeated physical aggression from Lillee. I wish he had smoked him with his bat.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once upon a time Kohli shown middle finger to the SCG crowd.

Name:  kohli.jpg
Views: 2212
Size:  73.2 KB
    Last edited by King_Kohli; 9th January 2021 at 15:02.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On Racism...very sad

On a side note and the Pakistani Aunty within me: “Aur bulao IPL main!..Aur dou Cummins ko $2M”!

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mohammed Siraj racially abused in Sydney: Indian team lodges official complaint. Drunk supporters passed a series of racially abusive comments and the match referee has been informed.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hopefully the guilty people are banned from all cricket grounds in australia

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Hopefully the guilty people are banned from all cricket grounds in australia
    That wont stop the racism though?

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    That wont stop the racism though?
    People are somewhat racist to more or lesser extent. Here you had people who were abusing Indian fans in a racist thread about Australian fans. It's natural human response and it will be there. You can't eradicate completely.

Debut
    Apr 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This does not surprise me one bit.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    BCCI doing CA a favour with this tour and this is how they are repaid.

Boycott tours to Australia until they can’t sort out their inherent racism! They will do this to anyone

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is problem with Indian team.. When they came near to defeat, they claim such things

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They did the correct thing reporting it. Hopefully with the reduced crowd and possible info on the time when it occurred, Aus authorities will be able to figure out the people behind this and take appropriate action.

However, India should not go beyond this. It's not our problem to go around trying to rectifying their cultural problems. Beating them in the game will be sweetest thing.

Besides, India currently has no moral leg to stand on when you consider the rubbish that flows out of the mouths of ruling government officials

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Crickekter View Post
    This is problem with Indian team.. When they came near to defeat, they claim such things
    Totally unfair - no one should be subject to racial abuse by anyone, regardless of the circumstances.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    It absolutely is not OK and should be heavily punished if confirmed.

In Australia there is literally only one racial slur used against Indian and Pakistani and Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan people - the bizarre epithet “curry muncher”.

If that’s what they say they heard, they are telling the truth.

If they claim they heard anything else, they are lying.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol. Even with a 25% crowd limit Aussies still make the same headline.

So it's hardly a case of a few bad apples.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    In Australia there is literally only one racial slur used against Indian and Pakistani and Bangladeshi and Sri Lankan people - the bizarre epithet “curry muncher”.

That must be the most ridiculous thing you've ever written here. And that's saying a lot

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pillionrider View Post
    That must be the most ridiculous thing you've ever written here. And that's saying a lot
    Really? The British P word is literally never used for Indians here - Aussies just find it strange.

I’ve heard people called Curry Muncher or Curry for short and literally no other term of racist abuse for ethnically Indian people. That’s just what I’ve seen living here.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Really? The British P word is literally never used for Indians here - Aussies just find it strange.

I’ve heard people called Curry Muncher or Curry for short and literally no other term of racist abuse for ethnically Indian people. That’s just what I’ve seen living here.
    The alleged claim is that they were called monkeys.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

And I'm not racist if I'm guessing you're a quack either.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    And I'm not racist if I'm guessing you're a quack either.

I find it ridiculous that I need to even explain this to you, but here goes:

How on earth can you make a claim that you know what they were called without even being there. And are even 100% sure that if it wasn't your choice of phrase, they are lying.

I mean, I don't even...

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    The alleged claim is that they were called monkeys.
    Then I am reversing my position - that’s not an expression that gets used even for Aboriginal or West Indian people here.

If that’s what they say, I don’t believe them. If that is the word they claim, I think they are lying, and making a pathetic job of lying.

I assumed they had been called CM, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Australia has a significant problem with certain racial behaviours, so I initially believed them.

But monkey is not an expression Australians ever use for Indian people. Not ever.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Then I am reversing my position - that’s not an expression that gets used even for Aboriginal or West Indian people here.

If that’s what they say, I don’t believe them.

I assumed they had been called CM, and I gave them the benefit of the doubt. Australia has a significant problem with certain racial behaviours, so I initially believed them.

But monkey is not an expression Australians ever use for Indian people. Not ever.
    Please stop. You're digging a bigger hole for yourself. And you don't even realize your own racial prejudices are emerging.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is any country where this has happened more times than Australia. Absolutely pathetic and shameful. And before people here start with the 'Not All Australians', I would say that, that is besides the point. This kind of thing has been happening since 1960s when West Indies toured Australia under Frank Worrell and would routinely get racially abused by the crowd, and continues to this day. Nothing has changed.

Australians should be glad Kohli only showed a finger while others only lodged a complaint. They should have done a lot worse.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    To expand on my earlier post, there is a significant problem with racism in Australia compared with New Zealand or England.

But people use certain racial slurs for certain racial groups. I won’t dignify the slurs by listing them.

And monkey is not an expression I’ve ever heard of being used against Indians here. The only time I’m aware of it being used in this country was allegedly BY the Indian team against Andrew Symonds in 2008.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

I find it ridiculous that I need to even explain this to you, but here goes:

How on earth can you make a claim that you know what they were called without even being there. And are even 100% sure that if it wasn't your choice of phrase, they are lying.

I mean, I don't even...
    Because there are common racial slurs used. In thr UK ot was P*** but it isn't as common anymore. I can't remember the last time I got called it. At school even some of my teachers called us Pa**.

Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To expand on my earlier post, there is a significant problem with racism in Australia compared with New Zealand or England.

But people use certain racial slurs for certain racial groups. I won’t dignify the slurs by listing them.

And monkey is not an expression I’ve ever heard of being used against Indians here. The only time I’m aware of it being used in this country was allegedly BY the Indian team against Andrew Symonds in 2008.
    I personally know of many Indians who have been called the p word in Australia, please stop your nonsense your making yourself look silly.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just embarrassing really

A complete stain on our country. The fact that this happens often with touring teams, and towards Aboriginal players in domestic competitions is just terrible

Debut
    Apr 2019
    Venue
    Wherever I live it's my land.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    553 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not surprised,one of my relatives faced that.

Why is Monday so far from Friday, and Friday so close to Monday?

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    At school even some of my teachers called us Pa**.
    Your teachers were limited then. They should have taken lessons from ours. They always had a wide range of names depending on their background, cultural or linguistic

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If that’s what they say, I don’t believe them. If that is the word they claim, I think they are lying, and making a pathetic job of lying.

It's only been alleged by the Indian media, so I am not sure whether it's true or not. There is no official word from the BCCI as yet.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just because you often get racially abused by just one word, it doesn't mean that's the only word that exist. And just because you may not have much of self respect and seem quite ok getting racially abused doesn't mean Indian players should behave like you.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My friends live it everyday in Australia. But one person's experience should not be assumed to be everyone's experience. So I will withhold passing judgements on this whole issue, just like how I would politely ask the posters here to stop making conclusions (that Indians are lying) till you know the facts because you were not present in the ground and heard what was said. Let the authorities investigate and sort this out.

Racism is a real and serious issue and let's not do petty politics around it.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I would urge people to read my posts in order, in the context of my being a British psychiatrist resident in Australia, whose father was born and brought up in India.

1. I initially believed the claims, and condemned racism in Australia. I pointed out that all racist abuse against Indians in Australia uses the same weird and pathetic expression “Curry muncher”.

2. I was then advised of the specific term of abuse the Indians alleged they had been called. The choice of word was preposterous, a term never used even by racist Australians against Indians, and suggested that the allegations were concocted by people unfamiliar with how racist Australians think and talk.

I stand by that. If they say they were called “Curry Muncher” they are probably telling the truth. But if they say they were called “Monkey” then I don’t believe them and I think they are concocting a pretext to justify going home after this match.
    Last edited by Junaids; 9th January 2021 at 17:58.

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1065 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    The racists should be banned from the ground.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live in Melbourne and have been since I was 5 years old and can assure you all that what Junaids is saying is true. Curry Muncher is the only abusive word I can think of towards people of these nationalities. FOB ( Fresh off the boat) is another fresh terminology but is mostly used by younger age groups ( school kids).

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    There will always be a few of these drunks making racial slurs. It happens everywhere. If found, they should be fine and punished. Nothing else to see here.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    I live in Melbourne and have been since I was 5 years old and can assure you all that what Junaids is saying is true. Curry Muncher is the only abusive word I can think of towards people of these nationalities. FOB ( Fresh off the boat) is another fresh terminology but is mostly used by younger age groups ( school kids).
    Thank you!

I’ve actually texted several ethnically- Indian friends here in Australia in the last half hour and they all agree - “Curry Muncher” is the only term of abuse they have ever known Indians or Pakistanis to be called here.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    The racists should be banned from the ground.
    It’s not a term that gets used against Indians in Australia. It’s a deeply suspicious story.

I initially believed it until I heard the alleged word, and immediately concluded that whoever concocted it knows nothing about Australia.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Australia vs India: Cricket Is A Gentleman's Game, No Place For Racial Abuse, Says BCCI Vice President
    BCCI vice president Rajeev Shukla has reacted strongly after it came to the fore that Indian pacers Mohammed Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah were racially abused by the crowd at the Sydney Cricket Ground on the second and third day of the ongoing Pink Test between India and Australia.

BCCI vice president Rajeev Shukla has reacted strongly after it came to the fore that Indian pacers Mohammed Siraj and Jasprit Bumrah were racially abused by the crowd at the Sydney Cricket Ground on the second and third day of the ongoing Pink Test between India and Australia. Speaking to ANI, Shukla said that the gentleman's game has no place for such behaviour and that Board of Control for Cricket in India secretary Jay Shah is aware of the issue and is in touch with the team.

"We have come to know about the issue. Cricket is a gentleman's game and these kinds of things are not allowed or accepted. The team management is dealing with the matter. The BCCI as well as the ICC is aware of it and there are ICC rules and provisions which forbid anyone from making comments that are racial in nature.

"In spite of that, if somebody is using racial comments, I think the Australian court should take cognizance of it and these kinds of incidents must be prevented. There is no place for such acts and these kinds of things are not allowed or accepted. I think every board should take cognizance of it and take strict measures to ensure such acts aren't repeated," he said. Sources in the know of developments in the team said that the bowlers initially brought the matter up with stand-in skipper Ajinkya Rahane before the team went into a huddle with the coaching staff led by Ravi Shastri and decided that this sort of behaviour should not and will not be ignored. The relationship between the two teams has taken a turn in recent times with Queensland's Health Shadow Minister Ros Bates' comments regarding quarantine guidelines for the fourth Test in Brisbane also painting the Indian team in poor light. With questions raised on whether the Indian team would be willing to follow strict quarantine protocols for the final Test of the series at The Gabba, Bates said: "If the Indians don't want to play by the rules, don't come."

Commenting on the fourth Test at The Gabba, Shukla said: "As far as Brisbane is concerned, the comfort of the player should be kept in mind. They have already been in this process of isolation and have followed all guidelines. So, their interest should also be kept in mind."

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s not a term that gets used against Indians in Australia. It’s a deeply suspicious story.

I initially believed it until I heard the alleged word, and immediately concluded that whoever concocted it knows nothing about Australia.
    I suspect that a certain member of the Indian touring party recalled the Harbhajan Symonds incident and assumed that Monkey would be a common slur towards Indians, isn’t quite the case though!

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Amongst the worst crowds in the world.

I remember speaking to a former Pakistan player about playing in Australia. He said the abuse when you were fielding at the boundary was terrible. He said one day he had been getting racially abused most of the day by kids that were in their early teens. Nobody around them told them to stop and security did not intervene.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentkiller187 View Post
    I personally know of many Indians who have been called the p word in Australia, please stop your nonsense your making yourself look silly.
    Any Pakistani living in Australia will tell you that if someone was called the P word in Australia then it would not be due to race but because it is common for Australians to shorten words and not just white Australians. In fact outside the cities a good portion of Aussies wouldent even know why the P word is considered racist. Very few Australians know very much about Pakistan.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

You have assumed that the person responsible was Australian, could be the case but I know there have been several SA fans caught at the WACA.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Further details:

NEW DELHI: The Indian team management has filed an official complaint with match referee David Boon alleging racist comments hurled at fast bowlers Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj from the crowd during the third day's play of the third Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday.

TOI has learnt that the two pacers were constantly abused by a certain set of people who were reportedly drunk.

"Bumrah and Siraj were called monkeys, ****** and motherf*** by the people almost throughout the time they were fielding. Captain Ajinkya Rahane spoke to the match officials and then the team management went up to Boon and lodged a formal complaint," team sources told TOI.

It is learnt that the pacers had informed the team management during the last session. Members from the support staff came out from the dressing room and were by their side at the boundary line during the rest of the session.

The SCG is allowed to host a maximum of around 10000 spectators during the Test match. So, every abuse was apparently clearly heard. The matter will be taken up by Cricket Australia. The Indian cricket board (BCCI) is in touch with the Australian board. The matter is brought to the notice of ICC officials and the security authorities.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80187283.cms

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Venue
    Perth, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Calling them monkeys is obviously shocking, but the other two insults were very likely not racist - Stuart Broad spent a summer getting called this stuff. I am not saying that it is ok, but with the exception of calling them monkeys it is not racist

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    There will always be a few of these drunks making racial slurs. It happens everywhere. If found, they should be fine and punished. Nothing else to see here.
    The problem is that in this particular game, the authorities have mandated that there will only be a few people in the stand altogether. Yet we still get the usual.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Your teachers were limited then. They should have taken lessons from ours. They always had a wide range of names depending on their background, cultural or linguistic
    In those days desis always had Datsun cars and I remember a design teacher deliberately brought this up to call the Datsun the **** Rolls Royce.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    555 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    Further details:

NEW DELHI: The Indian team management has filed an official complaint with match referee David Boon alleging racist comments hurled at fast bowlers Jasprit Bumrah and Mohammed Siraj from the crowd during the third day's play of the third Test at the Sydney Cricket Ground on Saturday.

TOI has learnt that the two pacers were constantly abused by a certain set of people who were reportedly drunk.

"Bumrah and Siraj were called monkeys, ****** and motherf*** by the people almost throughout the time they were fielding. Captain Ajinkya Rahane spoke to the match officials and then the team management went up to Boon and lodged a formal complaint," team sources told TOI.

It is learnt that the pacers had informed the team management during the last session. Members from the support staff came out from the dressing room and were by their side at the boundary line during the rest of the session.

The SCG is allowed to host a maximum of around 10000 spectators during the Test match. So, every abuse was apparently clearly heard. The matter will be taken up by Cricket Australia. The Indian cricket board (BCCI) is in touch with the Australian board. The matter is brought to the notice of ICC officials and the security authorities.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80187283.cms
    Australia is a country where Trump would be President for life.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    You have assumed that the person responsible was Australian, could be the case but I know there have been several SA fans caught at the WACA.
    Very good point.

There were three expressions allegedly used.

The M word clearly demonstrates that the alleged perpetrators were not Australian.

The W word narrows it down even further, to the UK or Ireland, given that the M word had already excluded Australia and New Zealand.

The MF word bizarrely makes it most likely that the perpetrators have spent extensive time in the US or Canada.

And all this in a crowd of just 8,000, who had helpfully all been restricted to seating zones in the stand, and all of whom for Covid reasons had both given their address and had it checked.

So the precise location of the abuse narrows it down to no more than around 40 potential suspects, each of whom have provided their name, address, phone number and email.

And the weird and improbable choice of words used narrows it down further to people from the UK or Ireland who have spent extensive time in the USA.

So it will be easy to identify precisely who did it. Unless it’s actually a lie.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    The problem is that in this particular game, the authorities have mandated that there will only be a few people in the stand altogether. Yet we still get the usual.
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Think of it this way.

As @Varun says, the crowd was tiny and had submitted detailed residential information.

And as @zain7077 says, the expression allegedly used was one Aussies don’t ever use for Indians.

So by the time play starts we will already know precisely who did it, or that the Indians are lying.

The tiny crowd and the easy tracing of them due to Covid means that if this really happened we will quickly know the perpetrators.

If it really happened, the perpetrators need to be criminally charged and banned from going to the cricket for life.

And if it didn’t, then Bumrah and Siraj need to be criminally charged and banned from cricket.

The tiny crowd makes it easy to prove or disprove accusations.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very good point.

The M word clearly demonstrates that the alleged perpetrators were not Australian.

The W word narrows it down even further, to the UK or Ireland, given that the M word had already excluded Australia and New Zealand.

The MF word bizarrely makes it most likely that the perpetrators have spent extensive time in the US or Canada.

And all this in a crowd of just 8,000, who had helpfully all been restricted to seating zones in the stand, and all of whom for Covid reasons had both given their address and had it checked.

So the precise location of the abuse narrows it down to no more than around 40 potential suspects, each of whom have provided their name, address, phone number and email.

And the weird and improbable choice of words used narrows it down further to people from the UK or Ireland who have spent extensive time in the USA.

So it will be easy to identify precisely who did it. Unless it’s actually a lie.
    Bhai, with all due respect you have made the same point enough times now and your views have been established. Let's wait for the facts before drawing out too many conclusions about the perpetrators or the language used.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Ironic that this was the same place where Indian cricketers joined Australia in 'barefoot circle' ceremony against racism - to support the anti-racism movement and acknowledge the culture of indigenous people of the host country

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unfortunate but these things happen. Just find the culprits and ban them for life. Not much to discuss here.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

May be they were called Monkeys by Indian Australians?
    As you can see there are a lot of Indians the crowd..

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had to respond to this.

Thank you for opening the possibility, before anyone including the mods though it, that there is a boundary to racial abuse. If I use the N word in America, I am racist. But any other word will do eh, or any other word is lying?

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add this also, basis what I just read from this Junaid guy- your stance, Sir, is contemptible.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very good point.

Irrelevant if it was an Aussie or a Martian.

The sport is being played in Australia so it's the Aussies who are responsible.

Cricket should take the lead from football. Teams have taken their players off the field if racist words have been hurled at the opposition players.

This happens far too often in Australia and its about time someone took a hard stance. Im not a fan of India the team or the nation but I will stand by them when it comes to racism.

Both of you are not coloured, so cannot understand what people go through when being racially abused. But when you try to defend this it looks even worse on you both.

My advise condemn racism in the land you live in.

Again if Indian players face this on day 4, leave the field even if it means match is abandoned , only then might the CA actually do something for the future.

Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingKhanWC View Post
    Irrelevant if it was an Aussie or a Martian.

The sport is being played in Australia so it's the Aussies who are responsible.

Cricket should take the lead from football. Teams have taken their players off the field if racist words have been hurled at the opposition players.

This happens far too often in Australia and its about time someone took a hard stance. Im not a fan of India the team or the nation but I will stand by them when it comes to racism.

Both of you are not coloured, so cannot understand what people go through when being racially abused. But when you try to defend this it looks even worse on you both.

My advise condemn racism in the land you live in.

Again if Indian players face this on day 4, leave the field even if it means match is abandoned , only then might the CA actually do something for the future.
    You are missing my point.

The Indians claim they were racially insulted by multiple people for two days. And until they cited the precise words, I initially believed them.

Yet the terms of abuse they claim they heard were expressions not widely used by Australians, and they don’t include the universal term of anti-Indian racial abuse which all Aussies are familiar with as the only anti-Indian racial slur.

So I don’t believe them. The absurd claims, the quoting of terms Aussies don’t use and the omission of the one term they do use against Indians tells me to be deeply sceptical of these claims.

I think the Indians want to go hone and are trying to find a pretext. They have lost their skipper and most of their fast bowlers.

But they haven’t thought it through properly. They have not understood that they have picked a racial slur that is not used in Australia (except by the 2008 Indian tourists). And they have not grasped that with a 3/4 empty ground and all spectators having to give full contact details, it’s very easy to identify who saw where and said what.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You are missing my point.

The Indians claim they were racially insulted by multiple people for two days. And until they cited the precise words, I initially believed them.

Yet the terms of abuse they claim they heard were expressions not widely used by Australians, and they don’t include the universal term of anti-Indian racial abuse which all Aussies are familiar with as the only anti-Indian racial slur.

So I don’t believe them. The absurd claims, the quoting of terms Aussies don’t use and the omission of the one term they do use against Indians tells me to be deeply sceptical of these claims.

I think the Indians want to go hone and are trying to find a pretext. They have lost their skipper and most of their fast bowlers.

But they haven’t thought it through properly. They have not understood that they have picked a racial slur that is not used in Australia (except by the 2008 Indian tourists). And they have not grasped that with a 3/4 empty ground and all spectators having to give full contact details, it’s very easy to identify who saw where and said what.
    We live in an age of technology where people learn slang from all over the world.

Whether you believe them or not, Australian grounds have a history of racial abuse in Cricket. Or dont you believe all those from the Windies back in the 70's , South Africans in 2005 and now to mention only a few?

Again, it's CA's issue to ensure no racism in their grounds against any player. If it happens , they should leave the field of play, this is the new normal in the UK and Europe now. Australia need to shed their racism and catch up with the rest of the world.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    We live in an age of technology where people learn slang from all over the world.

Whether you believe them or not, Australian grounds have a history of racial abuse in Cricket. Or dont you believe all those from the Windies back in the 70's , South Africans in 2005 and now to mention only a few?

Again, it's CA's issue to ensure no racism in their grounds against any player. If it happens , they should leave the field of play, this is the new normal in the UK and Europe now. Australia need to shed their racism and catch up with the rest of the world.
    I absolutely believe those earlier claims of racial abuse which is why in my first post I believed this one.

It was only when the Indians claimed to have been called “monkey” but not “Curry muncher” that I realised that they were making this up.

Peter Lalor has just told Channel 7 that Cricket Australia has trawled through all the boundary microphones and found no evidence to support the accusations. This is starting to look awfully like the Roberto Rojas Affair of 1989, when the Chile team manufactured allegations in a match against Brazil to try to qualify for the World Cup.

Any Indians who claim REPEATED racial abuse by MULTIPLE Australians but without use of the epithet “Curry Muncher” are basically not very good at making up tall tales.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I absolutely believe those earlier claims of racial abuse which is why in my first post I believed this one.

It was only when the Indians claimed to have been called “monkey” but not “Curry muncher” that I realised that they were making this up.

Peter Lalor has just told Channel 7 that Cricket Australia has trawled through all the boundary microphones and found no evidence to support the accusations. This is starting to look awfully like the Roberto Rojas Affair of 1989, when the Chile team manufactured allegations in a match against Brazil to try to qualify for the World Cup.

Any Indians who claim REPEATED racial abuse by MULTIPLE Australians but without use of the epithet “Curry Muncher” are basically not very good at making up tall tales.
    The word monkey is a common racist chant all over the world and in the current age of social media its more than reasonable to assume Aussie racists would use such words.

But you havent addressed my main point. It doesnt matter if the racists were Aussie or not, the responsbility lies with Cricket Australia to ensure all racism from all members of the crowd doesnt happen.

Do you have the recordings of all the boundary microphones? Or do you expect me be different to you and accept what Lalor says when you wont accept what the Indian cricketers are saying? You want proof of racism or you will not accept it?

Indians may be losing this test and series but to suggest they are lying can be confused with defending racism. Btw Australia as a nation was built on racism, racism is deep rooted in its history, in its recent past and present. Indians have been physically attacked many times and this hasnt vanished today in parts of Aus.

Can you confirm you are saying Lalor and CA are officially refuting these claims or is it only you?

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The word monkey is a common racist chant all over the world and in the current age of social media its more than reasonable to assume Aussie racists would use such words.

But you havent addressed my main point. It doesnt matter if the racists were Aussie or not, the responsbility lies with Cricket Australia to ensure all racism from all members of the crowd doesnt happen.

Do you have the recordings of all the boundary microphones? Or do you expect me be different to you and accept what Lalor says when you wont accept what the Indian cricketers are saying? You want proof of racism or you will not accept it?

Indians may be losing this test and series but to suggest they are lying can be confused with defending racism. Btw Australia as a nation was built on racism, racism is deep rooted in its history, in its recent past and present. Indians have been physically attacked many times and this hasnt vanished today in parts of Aus.

Can you confirm you are saying Lalor and CA are officially refuting these claims or is it only you?
    It is impossible for any cricket board to make sure that any crowd not call out racial or abusive comments. They have a responsibility to act if it does happen and to take steps to minimize the possibility of it occurring again.

When Symonds was subjected to crowds in India constantly making monkey chants at him the response was that in India calling someone a monkey is a term of endearment. Oh how things have changed in India.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is impossible for any cricket board to make sure that any crowd not call out racial or abusive comments. They have a responsibility to act if it does happen and to take steps to minimize the possibility of it occurring again.

When Symonds was subjected to crowds in India constantly making monkey chants at him the response was that in India calling someone a monkey is a term of endearment. Oh how things have changed in India.
    I agree it is impossible to stop anyone from shouting racist abuse but more things can be done. Im coming from an English football perspective, now more stewards are in the ground and we also have cctv being monitored on fans. There have been many instances of fans being caught, charged by the police and banned. Aus has a history of racist abuse against cricketers, how many have been caught and reprimanded over the last 50 years?

Indians can be more racist and so can others but the issue here is of Aus. Junaids not believing the Indian cricketers is just no sensible thoughts.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I agree it is impossible to stop anyone from shouting racist abuse but more things can be done. Im coming from an English football perspective, now more stewards are in the ground and we also have cctv being monitored on fans. There have been many instances of fans being caught, charged by the police and banned. Aus has a history of racist abuse against cricketers, how many have been caught and reprimanded over the last 50 years?

Indians can be more racist and so can others but the issue here is of Aus. Junaids not believing the Indian cricketers is just no sensible thoughts.
    Anyone identified have been charged and banned from venues.

There should be other people around that heard whatever the person in the crowd said so I think that the Indian players did report what they heard. There will also be footage so they should be able to sort this out fairly quickly.

Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Anyone identified have been charged and banned from venues.

There should be other people around that heard whatever the person in the crowd said so I think that the Indian players did report what they heard. There will also be footage so they should be able to sort this out fairly quickly.
    Good to know thanks.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    People are somewhat racist to more or lesser extent. Here you had people who were abusing Indian fans in a racist thread about Australian fans. It's natural human response and it will be there. You can't eradicate completely.
    Every country has prejudiced people- maybe they just differ in who or why they target others.

These people will get banned & deservedly so. The cameras at SCG (800 of them) are so good they can see a pimple on a nose. The facial recognition software is also very good, so once banned, the cameras just catch them on the way in of they ever come to a cricket ground again.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Racial abuse is abuse only if it is perceived as abuse. On the other hand, if the person towards whom the abuse is directed knows he is better than the abuser, then he should just shrug and think something like "Lord, forgive them for they know not what they do". Such thinking definitely applies in this situation.
    Last edited by Napa; 10th January 2021 at 07:29.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Man do cricketers really get hurt so bad by some random guy in the crowd that they need to report it? The world is really soft nowadays.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Now again

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Name:  IMG_20210110_093605.jpg
Views: 1262
Size:  450.1 KB
    Four men being escorted away by police. Disgraceful behaviour.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And we have people here defending racism and calling Indians liars.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sharmaji View Post
    Who is defending racism?

I’m certainly not. But I’m unsure at this stage whether they were removed for racial vilification, in which case they will be arrested and charged, or for verbal abuse, which is normal behaviour in England and Australia - like when I boo Smith and Warner and yell “Cheat!” at them.

Verbal abuse without racism is normal behaviour in England and Australia. I always heckle my own team when they are rubbish.
    Last edited by Junaids; 10th January 2021 at 10:04.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    There is no need to blow this issue out of proportion, everyone is going to have opinions and some are going to be different so its best to let people have their say and move on.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate Tim Paine who through his body language and chat with Rahane clearly showed he supported India's concerns.

Evidently it was bad enough for the whole bunch to be thrown out. But you still managed to have a few in the match thread complaining about a 10 minute stoppage in play

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes ,some even say why play stoped 5 min today when Siraj complain .

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2568 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    If it was racial abuse, kicking them out of the ground is not enough.

They should be arrested and charged and punished.

(Just as I thought Sarfraz Ahmed should have been in South Africa).

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who is defending racism?

I’m certainly not. But I’m unsure at this stage whether they were removed for racial vilification, in which case they will be arrested and charged, or for verbal abuse, which is normal behaviour in England and Australia - like when I boo Smith and Warner and yell “Cheat!” at them.

Verbal abuse without racism is normal behaviour in England and Australia. I always heckle my own team when they are rubbish.
    According to a Channel 7 commentator one of the comments directed at Siraj yesterday was "How many wives do you have?". Certainly sounds like there was a racial element to the abuse

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Because some here are fine with getting racially abused it seems, low self respect I guess.