Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    12,636
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

    Hanuma Vihari: The Next Wall of India. Hats off for this talent

    Injured hamstring
    Being attacked by a flurry of dangerous bouncers from Hazlewood, Cummins and Starch, but weathered the storm amicably.

    People doubted this lad but real ones know of his heroics in Ranji. Iirc he sports a very good average.

    Could me a mainstay for India, a perfect anchor for dashers like Rohit, Pant and Kohli

    Very heroic innings despite injury, one of the most brave ones I’ve seen from Asia and India especially in the last 10 years.

    How do you rate him after today?

  2. #2
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,910
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its a pleasure to watch the Indian batsman delivering under such immense pressure and scrutiny.

    Rahane did it in Melbourne as a batsman and leader.

    Pujara did it in this test after being criticized for playing the way he has always done.

    Pant played one of the bravest counter-attacks I have seen on a Day5 wicket.

    And now, Vihari under such pressure while surviving a hamstring injury delivered a blockathon of highest quality.

    Good time for Indian cricket fans.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    28,986
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Great effort in the context too the game. But I don’t know whether to rate him at this point. These innings aren’t what you rate batsmen on.

    But great day for him personally and happy for him.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    706
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problem is that we already have Pujara for that. Can't have both.

    On a lighter note, Indian team beat Pakistani team on the degree of tuk tuk.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    1,844
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dravids birthday today. He would be so proud.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    602
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not even Misbah would have done it like Ashwin and Vihari

  7. #7
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    12,636
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    I think India has taken the unpredictable tag from Pakistan.

    36 all out
    Then winning second test
    Then conceding 400+ only to come back and look to win, but due to bad luck in injuries settled for a draw.

    These are the type of batsmen we need in tests amidst the IPL and t20 hype.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    1,028
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For me, this has to be in the top 3 test innings ever. And I have watched cricket for the last 30 yrs.

  9. #9
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,635
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Great innings but he is injured now and i dont think he will play the next match
    Actually i think this could be his last innings. Keeping in mind that Kohli will return in the england series.
    At gabba we will need batsman who can score runs and Prithvi shaw will be the right candidate

  10. #10
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    658
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limited batsman on a whole but gutsy as hell. Dont feel he belongs at that batting position though. Possible replacement for Pujara when he hangs his boots

  11. #11
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    2,477
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was lucky to survive to be honest. But a superb innings
    Surviving against the best bowlers in the world is no joke.

    Cummins bowled some unplayable rippers the first few overs after tea.

    Having said that, this pitch was completely dead on day 5

  12. #12
    Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    54,734
    Mentioned
    498 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I raise my hand and admit to being guilty of questioning Vihari's place in the test team amongst dynamic and aggressive batsmen but how he's proved me and the cynics wrong.

    Hats off for a legendary effort.

    Well done brother.

  13. #13
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,968
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Next wall? He will be lucky to get 10 more test matches.

  14. #14
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,846
    Mentioned
    688 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Next wall? He will be lucky to get 10 more test matches.
    Sadly true..


    In cricket, my superhero is Sachin Tendulkar. He has always been my hero.
    -Virat Kohli

  15. #15
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    7,229
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unless he scores couple of centuries in the next 10 tests , his place will again come under scrutiny. Regardless of whatever happens in his career, this will probably be his highlight knock. Robbed Aussies of a sure shot win.


    ...

  16. #16
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    731
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silenced me today for doubting him. It was incredible how he carried on inspite of the injury. Great character this guy has.

  17. #17
    Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    3,537
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just here to pay my respects and apologies to the great man

    This could and should be his final innings. Goes away in glory.

    I see an endless chain of TV interviews on Telugu channels and maybe even a cameo in a movie. Definitely ads.

    But he really doesn't fit into an Indian side that already has Pujara. It was a fantastic defensive innings, but these kind of requirements are too rare in test cricket to keep playing him.

  18. #18
    Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    4,095
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I don't see much of a future for him either, unless he plays the next Test and shows he can operate a a much faster pace. Block and block isn't going to cut it, given what this Indian management wants to accomplish.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    4,095
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But yes, kudos to the man, a fine, fine innings, and contextually one of the most remarkable I've seen from an Indian bat.

  20. #20
    Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Fortress Europe
    Runs
    2,080
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Won't be surprised if the Aussie media describe Vihari with same words someone used to describe Bill Lawry - The corpse with pads on.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    1,646
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good innings, and superb grit from India to draw the game.

    I hope India wins this series, because not only is it a win for India, it's an eye-opener for the subcontinental teams that with the right mindset, despite missing your biggest players, you can still compete in Australia.

  22. #22
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    3,011
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Its a pleasure to watch the Indian batsman delivering under such immense pressure and scrutiny.

    Rahane did it in Melbourne as a batsman and leader.

    Pujara did it in this test after being criticized for playing the way he has always done.

    Pant played one of the bravest counter-attacks I have seen on a Day5 wicket.

    And now, Vihari under such pressure while surviving a hamstring injury delivered a blockathon of highest quality.

    Good time for Indian cricket fans.
    Couldn't agree more. I doubted Vihari too, tastiest humble pies I am eating right now. Thank you Vihari Ji for your tremendous effort today.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    OZtRaLeYah
    Runs
    17,461
    Mentioned
    140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    His batting stance, stroke play and technique looks similar to Robin Uthappa. Well a non aggressive version of RU

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    3,011
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Great effort in the context too the game. But I don’t know whether to rate him at this point. These innings aren’t what you rate batsmen on.

    But great day for him personally and happy for him.
    Tell me one thing honestly man, if it were say Rizwan or Azhar Ali did it wouldn't you be rating then based on their effort? We can agree to disagree but test cricket is not just about scoring runs, it is also about knowing when to stop scoring against all your instincts and survive defying all odds. It takes tremendous stamina, technique and will power to do what he did against one of the best attacks in the world. I rate it as his best test innings so far.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,453
    Mentioned
    975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Vihari's injury meant he got to face Lyon while Ash was exposed to Aussie pacers.

    But with time, the strike changed and Vihari played the tough pacers while Ash had to block out just Lyon for most part.

    As good as Lyon was, the real threat was from their pacers who were you had to not only survive but protect yourself from getting injured.

    And Vihari looked solid as hell.

    I wasn't worried about him getting out. It was the other end I was more worried about.

    What a performance.

    Thank God team didn't drop him like fans wanted them to.

    Now time to back him and see what he can do.

    I think the strokes will come out eventually.
    Last edited by sensible-indian-fan; 11th January 2021 at 14:09.

  26. #26
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,453
    Mentioned
    975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    Tell me one thing honestly man, if it were say Rizwan or Azhar Ali did it wouldn't you be rating then based on their effort? We can agree to disagree but test cricket is not just about scoring runs, it is also about knowing when to stop scoring against all your instincts and survive defying all odds. It takes tremendous stamina, technique and will power to do what he did against one of the best attacks in the world. I rate it as his best test innings so far.
    He is talking about rating him as a player overall and not this innings which is brilliant no doubt.

  27. #27
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    3,011
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    He is talking about rating him as a player overall and not this innings which is brilliant no doubt.
    I am talking about the same as well, this innings showed why Kohli rates him so highly after all. Innings' are not stand-alone things, yes one should not rate or berate based on one innings but heroic stands like this definitely has a profound impact on how you rate the player overall.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,910
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    I am talking about the same as well, this innings showed why Kohli rates him so highly after all. Innings' are not stand-alone things, yes one should not rate or berate based on one innings but heroic stands like this definitely has a profound impact on how you rate the player overall.
    I think he can be a solid no.3 for us once Pujara and Rahane goes. Its funny but I feel we do have backups ready for pretty much all batting positions now. Its just that you will have to give them some experience and time before they showcase their ability.

  29. #29
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    7,229
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Never understood why our kaptaan rated him high till today. It's not easy to just shut shop and keep blocking every ball with a hamstring pull!


    ...

  30. #30
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Dynamic
    Runs
    7,229
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    I think he can be a solid no.3 for us once Pujara and Rahane goes. Its funny but I feel we do have backups ready for pretty much all batting positions now. Its just that you will have to give them some experience and time before they showcase their ability.
    Who will replace Kohli in ODI's and tests ?


    ...

  31. #31
    Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    34,453
    Mentioned
    975 Post(s)
    Tagged
    11 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    I am talking about the same as well, this innings showed why Kohli rates him so highly after all. Innings' are not stand-alone things, yes one should not rate or berate based on one innings but heroic stands like this definitely has a profound impact on how you rate the player overall.
    It does but it's not be all and end all.

    Case in point, Karun Nair.

    Not that Vihari will go the same route.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,910
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AamchiMumbaikar View Post
    Who will replace Kohli in ODI's and tests ?
    Gill in tests after 4 years, Kohli himself in ODIs

  33. #33
    Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Karachi/NYC
    Runs
    28,986
    Mentioned
    1402 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    Tell me one thing honestly man, if it were say Rizwan or Azhar Ali did it wouldn't you be rating then based on their effort? We can agree to disagree but test cricket is not just about scoring runs, it is also about knowing when to stop scoring against all your instincts and survive defying all odds. It takes tremendous stamina, technique and will power to do what he did against one of the best attacks in the world. I rate it as his best test innings so far.
    Probably would have said same thing even if it was a Pakistani. In fact you can go few weeks back and check my comments on Faheem.

    Obviously this is an insane effort. And he may become a great batsman for India but this innings didn’t show if he had full reportoire. He mai have but I just haven’t seen.

  34. #34
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    7,939
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think he is going to play another game for us anytime soon as we don't play him in home tests and surely, he won't be played in the return test series happening in England later this year.

  35. #35
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,910
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sensible-indian-fan View Post
    It does but it's not be all and end all.

    Case in point, Karun Nair.

    Not that Vihari will go the same route.
    Going forward, Indian team will be:-

    Rohit
    Gill
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahane
    Pant( backup- keeper)
    Jadeja( backup- Pandya)

    Openers backup- Mayank, Shaw
    Middle order backup- Vihari, KL

    So, Vihari will have to sit unless someone in MO is injured.

  36. #36
    Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    3,011
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slog View Post
    Probably would have said same thing even if it was a Pakistani. In fact you can go few weeks back and check my comments on Faheem.

    Obviously this is an insane effort. And he may become a great batsman for India but this innings didn’t show if he had full reportoire. He mai have but I just haven’t seen.
    Fair enough

  37. #37
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,022
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Going forward, Indian team will be:-

    Rohit
    Gill
    Pujara
    Kohli
    Rahane
    Pant( backup- keeper)
    Jadeja( backup- Pandya)

    Openers backup- Mayank, Shaw
    Middle order backup- Vihari, KL

    So, Vihari will have to sit unless someone in MO is injured.
    Why can't we look ahead and play Vihari ahead of Rahane in India.It'll give him experience ahead of tours

    Can't expect the guy to just play overseas


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  38. #38
    Debut
    Nov 2013
    Venue
    Kerala
    Runs
    11,128
    Mentioned
    3133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Great innings but he is injured now and i dont think he will play the next match
    Actually i think this could be his last innings. Keeping in mind that Kohli will return in the england series.
    At gabba we will need batsman who can score runs and Prithvi shaw will be the right candidate
    Why not Mayank? And he's far better fielder than Shaw too..


    subhan allh walhamdullh w la ailh ailaa allh w allh aakbar
    Loose Cannons CC | PPCL 2020 Season 1 FC CHAMPIONS | #CannonsFire

  39. #39
    Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    Bangalore, India
    Runs
    17,910
    Mentioned
    352 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saurav View Post
    Why can't we look ahead and play Vihari ahead of Rahane in India.It'll give him experience ahead of tours

    Can't expect the guy to just play overseas
    You know they won't drop him after the results he has got in his captaincy in this series. I also feel that KL's test career is mostly over. He is not even among the first backup option for any slot at this point.

  40. #40
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,022
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    You know they won't drop him after the results he has got in his captaincy in this series. I also feel that KL's test career is mostly over. He is not even among the first backup option for any slot at this point.
    May don't drop him in important games but play in dead rubbers


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  41. #41
    Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    3,635
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smbhayi View Post
    Why not Mayank? And he's far better fielder than Shaw too..
    Both are in terrible form
    But shaw is a freak and the kind of guy who can win you a match if he gets going.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    18,022
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Both are in terrible form
    But shaw is a freak and the kind of guy who can win you a match if he gets going.
    So can Mayank.And has less technical issues


    The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

  43. #43
    Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    17,932
    Mentioned
    825 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Brave brave effort. Years later, some stats folks here will see he averaged like 10 in Australia but people who actually watch the game would understand how his 23 was among the bravest test knocks ever which likely saved his career.


    2 possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are terrifying.

  44. #44
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    149,395
    Mentioned
    2803 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Warwickshire County Cricket Club have signed India Test batsman Hanuma Vihari for the early rounds of the LV= Insurance County Championship.

    Acting as cover for Pieter Malan, 27-year-old Vihari made his Test debut against England in 2018 and he has played 12 Tests to date, including three matches in the recent series victory away to Australia and a career best score of 111 versus West Indies in 2019.

    In the First Class game, Vihari has made 7,094 runs in 90 games, boasting an impressive average of 56.75, whilst his off spin has also contributed 27 wickets.

    “Hanuma will arrive in the UK this afternoon,” said Warwickshire’s Director of Cricket Paul Farbrace, “We hope that this gives time for him to do his six days quarantine and to feature in next week’s game versus Nottinghamshire at Trent Bridge, subject to receiving negative COVID tests.

    “He’s a high-quality batsman, and an effective off spinner, who has been part of two India Test series victories in Australia. But he also comes to Warwickshire with an outstanding record in the First Class game and our young batsman are going to learn a huge amount from playing and training with someone of Hanuma’s calibre.

    “We’re also very grateful to Hanuma for stepping in at such short notice to cover Pieter Malan whilst we await confirmation of visa and his safe entry to the UK from South Africa.”

    Vihari said: “I’m looking forward to this opportunity and to play for a big club like Warwickshire is really exciting.”


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •