User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"Its crucial we dont judge the team based on one bad series against New Zealand" : Babar Azam

Lahore: Pakistan captain Babar Azam thinks that there should not be many changes in the upcoming series against South Africa.

The 26-year-old Babar has backed his troops and is confident that his team will perform better in the Test and T20I series against Proteas, scheduled to start from January 26.

“The side is excited for the series against South Africa. South Africa is a quality side and it will be a very important series for us. We will go positive against South Africa,” Babar said while talking to reporters in Lahore on Tuesday.

“It is crucial to back the team during difficult times and not judge on the basis of one bad series. To build a team, players need to be given consistent opportunities,” he added.

Babar expressed disappointment in missing the matches against New Zealand due to an injury on his right thumb.

“It was painful for me not to play against New Zealand as the team needed me badly, however, I have been practicing for two days now after completely recovering from the injury. I’ll be in action against South Africa,” he revealed.

Meanwhile, Babar also opined regarding Mohammad Amir’s retirement from international cricket and shared the reason why he was dropped from the team.

“Amir’s performance was not the same as before. Now if his performance improves, selectors will definitely consider his return and talk to him,” he concluded.

https://arysports.tv/babar-not-favor...africa-series/

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One bad series? They've been mediocre club level year after year. Will our torture ever end? I've been watching this lot almost 30 yrs and they always disappointed at every level 99% of the time

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    W/L ratio post MisYou

New Zealand 3.2
    India 1.9
    Australia 1.7
    England 1.437
    South Africa 1
    Afghanistan 1 (have played 4 tests)
    Sri Lanka 0.733
    West Indies 0.562
    Pakistan 0.461
    Bangladesh 0.387
    Zimbabwe 0.166
    Ireland 0

Just one bad series lol?

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    271 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When is the squad for South Africa being announced?

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dont worry Babar, we are not judging the team based on one bad series against NZ.

We are judging the team based on multiple bad series against NZ, England, Australia, and Sri Lanka C.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    When is the squad for South Africa being announced?
    Wasim Khan had recently said in a press conference that it would be this Thursday or Friday.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Venue
    haripur
    Runs
    Mentioned
    213 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanRyan10 View Post
    W/L ratio post MisYou

New Zealand 3.2
    India 1.9
    Australia 1.7
    England 1.437
    South Africa 1
    Afghanistan 1 (have played 4 tests)
    Sri Lanka 0.733
    West Indies 0.562
    Pakistan 0.461
    Bangladesh 0.387
    Zimbabwe 0.166
    Ireland 0

Just one bad series lol?
    misyou last test ended on 14 may 2017
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by saeed5646; 12th January 2021 at 18:14.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    London, England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    529 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not good comments from Babar. The team has been bad for some time. Even with the way the team plays. Slow, lacklustre and lack of desire. This is what people are judging the team on. Not just results.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Pakistan have been abysmal on Aus and NZ tours, the Eng tour wasnt that great either.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    If Babar thinks we don't have any problems as a Test side and isn't willing to take tough decisions then his captaincy will be little different to Azhar or Sarfraz.

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he's just saying this to not belittle his team in front of camera.
    I've seen this happen a lot in sports interviews.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Since Pakistan's victory at Lords in 2018, we've been blanked 3-0 in South Africa, 2-0 in Australia, and now 2-0 in New Zealand. Hardly one bad series.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Now that babar's the full time captain of all sides, people have started to put the blame on him already about everything. Even Amir's retirement will soon find a way with Babar playing a part in as well.

How quickly our fans turn their backs on our players.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2722 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    If Babar thinks we don't have any problems as a Test side and isn't willing to take tough decisions then his captaincy will be little different to Azhar or Sarfraz.
    Towing the company line.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Calling it right now - he's going to be a vanilla captain and it's going to drag his batting down just like Joe Root.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am a Babar Azam fan, but not a blind one

This is an absolute disgrace of a statement

More like
    “one embarrassing T20I series against SL in 2019”
    “one bad T20I series against AUS in 2019”
    “one embarrassing Test series against AUS in 2020”
    “one bad Test series against ENG in 2020”
    “one bad T20I series against ENG in 2020”
    “one embarrassing ODI series against ZIM in 2020”
    “one bad T20I series against NZ in 2020”
    “one embarrassing and a disgraceful Test series against NZ in 2021"

Debut
    Dec 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I dont agree with many posters here about Babar's alleged soft captaincy.

Just let him have 1 or 2 successful (even personally) series against top teams, then his stature will rise and he will gain due respect as captain and he will start being assertive
    Last edited by arunpsm; 12th January 2021 at 22:54.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1227 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Calling it right now - he's going to be a vanilla captain and it's going to drag his batting down just like Joe Root.
    There's a story Mickey told in a random interview recently.

He was trying to get the youngsters to be more vocal in the group and not to be afraid to challenge the seniors. He told Babar that if Mohammad Hafeez ran him out, he shouldn't be afraid of having a go at him back in the dressing room.

The reply from Babar was "no no I can't do that, he's my senior."

When I heard that, I thought oh god here we go again...

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2587 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    What else he could have said - if he speaks his mind, PAK media & former cricketers (& PP) will mutilate him into pieces and Corpse will be fed to vultures for not showing guts & being scared. He is the only quality player in this team who can held his head high, but he has to keep the “boost” intact for his employers.

I don’t blame him - he knows very well what’s PAK’s results had been, but being captain he is bound to read out PCB’s script. He might resign sometimes later if this continues, but in early years, he has to follow instructions & keep media (& fans) happy with bullish words.

In any case, his captaincy won’t be much better than Azhar’s, because the bottom line hasn’t changed - the quality of players actually has gone down.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can keep giving these statements

But the day is not very far when you’d no more be invited by the top teams.

Already you don’t play India
    AUS, SA and NZ invite you for a 2 match once in 4 years to practice and to boost the stats and to test the bench strength

Good somehow Eng is inviting you almost every year.

The day is not very far when you’d be circled with Bang, Zim and Afg, if you’re not already

PCB, Management and players are in delusion and riding on their performance from 2 decades back

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a story Mickey told in a random interview recently.

He was trying to get the youngsters to be more vocal in the group and not to be afraid to challenge the seniors. He told Babar that if Mohammad Hafeez ran him out, he shouldn't be afraid of having a go at him back in the dressing room.

The reply from Babar was "no no I can't do that, he's my senior."

When I heard that, I thought oh god here we go again...
    That's fine and all but what I question is that, in this hypothetical Hafeez-Babar scenario, how much is Hafeez, the senior-man, owning up here? Is he saying stuff like "my bad" or "my fault Babar"? If he is, I'm ok with that as, at the very least, it lets Babar know that Hafeez isn't abusing his seniority here.

As far as Mickey telling youngsters to not be afraid and challenge seniors more, it's a challenge for the youngsters to implement this sort of mindset (it's a cultural thing). Not that I don't agree with Mickey here but the youngsters need to be taught how to challenge seniors as opposed to just blatantly act all macho. The way I see it, and it may sound obvious, but major emphasis needs to be put on team success rather than age/seniority hierarchy. Yes, treat your older brothers with respect but not to the point where that respect compromises team success (or team combos/selections for that matter). And if you, the youngster, have something to say, say it but with a mature mindset and not a Gordon Ramsey-like one.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    But it's not a one-off, or one bad series.

Time and again we are seeing very poor planning and performances especially from the Pakistan Test side.

Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, we are not judging the team. We are judging the two pink elephants. Misbah and Waqar.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fact of the matter is, Babar is not a natural leader. But there aren't many in the current dressing room who are.

This is why it's important that all PSL captains be Pakistani (And young) and all domestic captains be younger players as well. Whilst some are natural leaders, others have leadership forged through experience.

That's why I'm looking forward to seeing how Shadab does in his 2nd year at ISLU. Hassan Ali at Central Punjab was also a breath of fresh air and it's good to see Saud captain Sindh in the Pakistan Cup. I hope that he retains the captaincy even after Safraz comes back.

Would like to see Kamran Ghulam given captaincy duties at KPK as well.

Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great statement from Babar Azam. A leader never shows doubt or lack of trust on his team openly even if he really thinks differently in reality. You always project confidence.

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    470 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMHS View Post
    What else he could have said - if he speaks his mind, PAK media & former cricketers (& PP) will mutilate him into pieces and Corpse will be fed to vultures for not showing guts & being scared. He is the only quality player in this team who can held his head high, but he has to keep the “boost” intact for his employers.

I don’t blame him - he knows very well what’s PAK’s results had been, but being captain he is bound to read out PCB’s script. He might resign sometimes later if this continues, but in early years, he has to follow instructions & keep media (& fans) happy with bullish words.

In any case, his captaincy won’t be much better than Azhar’s, because the bottom line hasn’t changed - the quality of players actually has gone down.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyWarsFan View Post
    I think he's just saying this to not belittle his team in front of camera.
    I've seen this happen a lot in sports interviews.
    He doesn't have to say anything bad about his team. But instead of this he could have said stuff like "we are not happy with the results we have had, and are going to work and fight hard to become better", and then follow up by actually doing so.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    Edmonton-Lahore Canada-Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    689 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah it's just one bad series we been dominating for years prior to that series, well said Babar let em know!

IN PAKISTAN LIES OUR DELIVERANCE,DEFENCE, AND HONOUR.
    -Muhammad Ali Jinnah

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    744 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Babar should just resign. He isn't made for captaincy.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    Honestly in thier hearts of hearts

Most Pak fans know that...
    Out of respect for his Individual brilliance fans are staying silent

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You can't really expect him to slag the players and coaching staff.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    297 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think Babar is not as soft as most people think. He showed his anger towards Asif ali and Haris Rauf for lacking match awareness. And his celebrations on reaching his 100 in Australia just showed he is not afraid to show emotions.
    With a passage of time Babar might become the most influential person in Pakistan Cricket similar to what Kohli is in India

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't judge someone's captaincy based on their media statements. It makes no sense.

First of all, Mohammad Wasim is the Chief Selector, so it depends more on him than Babar. If Wasim drops Shan Masood, Babar cannot do anything to bring him into the team. So understand that part first.

Secondly, he said that there wouldn't be overly unnecessary changes, but he never said that they were going in unchanged.

From my guess, he's gonna give Abid and Haris another chance.

I would personally prefer having Yasir + Zafar combination against South Africa.

Hasan Ali is probably making a comeback from what I'm thinking.

My prediction is that Babar will go in with:

Abid Ali
    Azhar Ali
    Babar Azam (c)
    Haris Sohail
    Fawad Alam
    Mohammad Rizwan
    Zafar Gohar
    Yasir Shah
    Hasan Ali
    Shaheen Shah Afridi
    Naseem Shah

So basically two changes.

I don't like the idea of Babar batting at 3, he's not developed enough to face the new ball to that extent. Plus, he chases balls much too often that I'd like to see from a no.3 batsman.

Mohammad Wasim needs to bring in a domestic opener, and Imran Butt is a decent option. That way, Haris will have to be dropped, and we might see a new player into the team.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2587 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    He doesn't have to say anything bad about his team. But instead of this he could have said stuff like "we are not happy with the results we have had, and are going to work and fight hard to become better", and then follow up by actually doing so.
    That would be standard & acceptable response for a team that’s roaming around 6-7th spot in ICC ranking and struggling to take 10 wickets in many of the Tests - not for Babar, who has to address a board, media, critics & fan base with self proclaimed prophecy of talent & entitlement.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    740 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I feel bad for Bobby. Everybody will come down on him like a ton of bricks if the team performs badly when in reality his hands are clearly tied. Doubt he would say a word against Misbah or Waqar.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'll give Babar benefit of doubt and consider that he's only talking about his captaincy tenure and even then New Zealand was not his fault, not that it could have been any different.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    I feel bad for Bobby. Everybody will come down on him like a ton of bricks if the team performs badly when in reality his hands are clearly tied. Doubt he would say a word against Misbah or Waqar.
    Captaining a team like Pakistan is extremely risky. Only few survived. Malik, Butt, Yousuf, Sarfraz.... only Misbah and Afridi barely managed to survive

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    San Ramon
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The right comparison for Babar is not Kohli but Tendulkar, though Babar still has to prove himself. Both are soft spoken, focused on job at hand, and not much in team politics.

Unfortunately, though Tendulkar was made test team captain out of respect for him, but was a massive failure. Luckily Tendulkar’s advisors (Shastri included) and he himself were self-aware enough so he resigned from captaincy and focused on his legendary batting.

Pak should look for another captain.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    280 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Napa View Post
    Agree. He doesn't have to throw anyone under the bus, he could easily have said this team threw away promising positions against NZ but he has full confidence they will learn from the experience and be better prepared for South Africa. Just a poor choice of words.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    671 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I think Babar will grow , he has shown that with his batting as well .

Babar’s talent with Hafeez’s dominating attitude would had been better..

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    Fact of the matter is, Babar is not a natural leader. But there aren't many in the current dressing room who are.

This is why it's important that all PSL captains be Pakistani (And young) and all domestic captains be younger players as well. Whilst some are natural leaders, others have leadership forged through experience.

That's why I'm looking forward to seeing how Shadab does in his 2nd year at ISLU. Hassan Ali at Central Punjab was also a breath of fresh air and it's good to see Saud captain Sindh in the Pakistan Cup. I hope that he retains the captaincy even after Safraz comes back.

Would like to see Kamran Ghulam given captaincy duties at KPK as well.
    Don’t forget Rizwan. His captaincy of Pakistan A and KPK is one of the major reasons he looked so assured behind the stumps in New Zealand and also raised his game with the bat.

Rohail Nazir is someone else who is being groomed - first U19 and now Shaheens duties. He’s confident, has begun to learn to speak to the media, and you can see how he’s raised his game with a 100 in the four day against NZ A and worked hard on his T20 game too.

Saim Ayub and Huraira have both been given age group captaincy of their regional U19 teams, Sindh and Central Punjab.

Haider Ali is vice captain of the Shaheens. I expect him to become captain of Peshawar Zalmi in 3 years, just a hunch. He’s the only young player retained in the 5 man core, and still one of the youngest amongst the guaranteed starters in this year’s PSL. In about 3 years, once Wahab retires, I feel Haider is next up to take over.

I think we’re doing a slightly better job of promoting youngsters in leadership roles these days. It’s just Babar who can’t get a role anywhere for the life of him.