User Tag List

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

"It's been the worst batting I have seen. I don't have any reasons to explain that" : Grant Flower

"I've been with the team for a year. It's been the worst batting I have seen. It's purely mental I think. I don't have any reasons to explain that."

Grant Flower on the first innings in SL vs England 2021 in SL after SL's first inning.

Well didn't hear similar statements before, have we?

Grant Flower doing Grant Flower things with Sri Lankan national team now.

He used to give similar statements during his tenure with Pakistan as well. He was once asked as to why Asad Shafiq can't become more consistent and can't give better performance in ODIs. He said a very similar thing. He possesses everything, he has good technique and good shots in his armory. I can't really point as to why he is unable to score quickly in ODIs. Maybe he just needs to free up his mind and so on.

Don't know about Mickey, but this guy definitely had a free ride for over 5 years in Pak cricket. Although the performance of Azhar Mahmood and Steve Rixon were considerably better especially Steve Rixon's.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can see why Younis Khan didnít like this guy.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    I can see why Younis Khan didn’t like this guy.
    and people still blame Younis to this day.

If your batting coach is clueless as to why his batsmen can't score runs, then what is he hired for?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Well done to Flower and the Sri Lankan management for sending the Grant Flower to face the media.

Had this been Pakistan they would have sent a rookie or perhaps the masseur.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Well done to Flower and the Sri Lankan management for sending the Grant Flower to face the media.

Had this been Pakistan they would have sent a rookie or perhaps the masseur.
    Well I can see how the current Pak management is so poor at almost everything.
    But doesn't take away that our former management wasn't that good either.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Grant Flower milked his role in Pakistan Cricket for 5 years and then used it to get a Sri Lankan gig, they will find out how crap he is if they haven't discovered that already.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyRabbit View Post
    and people still blame Younis to this day.

If your batting coach is clueless as to why his batsmen can't score runs, then what is he hired for?
    Yes, if your batting coach is useless... put a knife to his throat.

Younis is lucky he has his own career as a coach because Grant allowed the incident to be brushed under the carpet and hasn't made a big deal of it. He should have done jail time for assault.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fantastic the guy is finally exposed as useless

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum363 View Post

Younis is lucky he has his own career as a coach because Grant allowed the incident to be brushed under the carpet and hasn't made a big deal of it. He should have done jail time for assault.
    What stopped Grant from making the news public back then? Or why did he continue coaching Pak if something that serious had occurred?
    Maybe he is not speaking truth.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What stopped Grant from making the news public back then? Or why did he continue coaching Pak if something that serious had occurred?
    Maybe he is not speaking truth.
    I've heard that the confrontation was while they were eating, and Younis merely pointed at Flower with the knife. Only those who were there know the truth.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aloo paratha View Post
    I've heard that the confrontation was while they were eating, and Younis merely pointed at Flower with the knife. Only those who were there know the truth.
    Thank god for your sensible clarification. I totally imagined a movie mafia style intimidation scene on display otherwise lol

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It comes off as a false allegation, if things got this serious, Grant should have resigned and lodged a complaint against Younis rather than continuing in the job for further 3 years.

Debut
    Apr 2008
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Spot on. I wonder why Grant didn't report it to ICC. Probably he had been concerned about losing his job with Pak and subsequent future.
    This is what encourages bullying. Brushing it under the carpet and bullies keep prospering like Yunus. Atleast he should have the courage to apologise to Grant

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It comes off as a false allegation, if things got this serious, Grant should have resigned and lodged a complaint against Younis rather than continuing in the job for further 3 years.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cric_lover4487 View Post
    Thank god for your sensible clarification. I totally imagined a movie mafia style intimidation scene on display otherwise lol
    There's no way Younis had him in a rear naked choke or something with a knife, if it was truly a threat to Flower's wellbeing, he would've resigned and made a case against Younis. It's quite evident that it's more of a sour grapes thing for Flower since he didn't keep his job. Make it look like he wasn't welcome there anyways.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well from the interviews and articles at the time, younis held the knife to Grant’s throat. This makes sense as well if they were sitting across from each other at the dinner table.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surely Grant Flower saw a fair few of these in the times he was a batting coach with Pakistan as well so should not be shocked or surprised.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well from the interviews and articles at the time, younis held the knife to Grant’s throat. This makes sense as well if they were sitting across from each other at the dinner table.
    Maybe they were sensationalized headlines? I struggle to imagine that someone would have a knife held to their throat at work yet continue their job.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe they were sensationalized headlines? I struggle to imagine that someone would have a knife held to their throat at work yet continue their job.
    If something like that had happened, PCB would have taken notice and even Mickey would have stepped in. But doesn't seem to be the case.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Mickey Arthur confirmed that it happened.

I don't see any reason why Mickey would make this sort of thing up.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

Mushtaq Ahmed was there and he confirmed it was just a joke, banter and not something done with a criminal devious intent.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Mushtaq Ahmed was there and he confirmed it was just a joke, banter and not something done with a criminal devious intent.
    Well one of them is lying and only they know who is telling the truth.

Mickey said to me that he had to calm Younis down and he had to say to him that he is a legend and that they needed him to score runs in the 2nd innings, which he did.
    Last edited by Saj; 16th January 2021 at 02:02.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1844 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The only coach who is worse, coaches India. Vikram Rathore.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    479 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Grant Flower must be crazy then. I would never even consider working another day in a place where a coworker threatened my life in such a fasion.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Well one of them is lying and only they know who is telling the truth.

Mickey said to me that he had to calm Younis down and he had to say to him that he is a legend and that they needed him to score runs in the 2nd innings, which he did.
    Hmm, so the PCB chose not to cover Akhtar hitting Asif with the bat, but chose to cover YK threatening Grant Flower with a serious violent intent with a knife? I am not buying it.

Even if its true, it shows that Flower is a weak individual who is more interested in getting an unquestioned pay cheque rather than actually delivering in his job. He has had two failed stints with the PCB and now Sri Lanka

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Hmm, so the PCB chose not to cover Akhtar hitting Asif with the bat, but chose to cover YK threatening Grant Flower with a serious violent intent with a knife? I am not buying it.

Even if its true, it shows that Flower is a weak individual who is more interested in getting an unquestioned pay cheque rather than actually delivering in his job. He has had two failed stints with the PCB and now Sri Lanka
    Also why was Flower silent about it for so long?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Grant Flower must be crazy then. I would never even consider working another day in a place where a coworker threatened my life in such a fasion.
    He probably had his reasons. A well-paid contract probably being the main reason.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is Pakistan quietly looking into hiring Andy Flower?

What if he tries t bring Grant in as assistant?

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wrongun View Post
    Is Pakistan quietly looking into hiring Andy Flower?

What if he tries t bring Grant in as assistant?
    Andy Flower comes off as an elite disciplined professional. Don't think he would want his brother working alongside him. But it's way too far to think Andy would become Pak coach.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He probably had his reasons. A well-paid contract probably being the main reason.
    Weird situation. Happens only in Pak cricket.