Name:  mw.JPG
Views: 2510
Size:  27.1 KB

Name:  DSC_6691.jpg
Views: 9411
Size:  331.0 KB

==

His remarks today:

Chief selector Muhammad Wasim: “I want to congratulate all the uncapped players who have made it to the 20-player Pakistan Test squad. These nine players are now just a step away from representing Pakistan in the pinnacle format of the game. As such, they have an outstanding opportunity to step-up show their class and potential, and perform strongly so that they can cement their places for future international assignments.

“This is a reward for their consistent performance, hard work and perseverance during a difficult season played under the strict Covid-19 protocols. This is also an endorsement that domestic cricket will be valued and respected, and will remain a stepping stone for international cricket. All those players who aspire to represent Pakistan at the global stage will not only have to feature in it but also perform at the expected levels to earn the selectors’ nod.

“For the players who have narrowly missed out on selection, I want to encourage them to retain their focus and continue to work hard as we have a busy and packed 2021 ahead. This means there will potentially be opportunities at some stage down the year. I will like to see these players continue to focus on their fitness and form even after curtain falls on the 2020-21 season so that whenever they get a call-up, they are ready to cash in on the opportunity.

“Haris Sohail, Mohammad Abbas and Shan Masood have been dropped due to inconsistent performances. However, the PCB will not let its investment on these talented players go to waste and will invite them to the High Performance Centre so that they can work out their technical flaws and get back into contention.

“Shan’s bad form has opened doors for Abid Ali’s new partner, be it either Abdullah Shafique or Imran Butt, who was last season’s top scorer. Together with Abdullah, he was in New Zealand with the Shaheens side.

“Kamran Ghulam (1,249 runs), Saud Shakeel (970 runs) and Salman Ali Agha (941 runs) walk into the middle-order to support Azhar Ali, Babar Azam and Fawad Alam. This is a formidable and highly skilled middle-order, which will encourage a further healthy competition for a permanent place in the side.

“With Naseem Shah and Shadab Khan not available due to niggles, the selectors have shown faith in bowlers with diverse variations and skillsets, who also know our conditions at the back of their hands.

“The horses for courses policy means performers like left-arm spinner Nauman Ali, off-spinner Sajid Shah, and fast bowlers Haris Rauf and Tabish Khan will be available for selection, depending on the team composition for the first Test against South Africa in Pakistan in 14 years.

“Wrist spinner Zahid Mahmood had a strong case after an excellent season, but we decided against going into the series with all four inexperienced spinners. Yasir Shah understands pressures of international cricket and is familiar with the demands, challenges and expectations of the purist format of the game.

“Tabish Khan has been preferred over Sohail Khan as he is more effective and useful in Pakistan conditions. Like Mohammad Abbas, Tabish is a workhorse, who can bowl long spells with controlled line and length. His 598 career first-class wickets, including 30 wickets this season, is a testament that he is a like-to-like replacement for Mohammad Abbas in the given conditions.

“Faheem Ashraf and Mohammad Nawaz are two all-rounders of contrasting skills and should provide more selection options to the team management.”
    Last edited by MenInG; 15th January 2021 at 20:42.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    What a debut!

Impressive analysis and presentation skills - think we have a great CS now!

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    What a strong start. Iím impressed!

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    We should make 10-12 clones of Wasim in order to get rid of parchis/favoritism from Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post
    What a debut!

Impressive analysis and presentation skills - think we have a great CS now!
    Hope now we can rope in Andy Flower & we would be much better unit as compared to our current team. Because IMO a great coach can help an average team to get better results.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Incredible start.

I think this is the first Pakistani chief selector (in my lifetime) who has taken his job seriously.

May the Hawks Fly Forever. Lightning Hawks CC -- Team Thread.

Debut
    Aug 2011
    Venue
    I live in Canada; My heart lives in Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    A solid 9/10. Starting off with a bang

@Abdullah719 we need a Wasim smiley please.

Hai yeh Josh-e-Junoon, hai yeh apna yaqeen, ke jo tum mein hai dum, woh kisi mein nahin!

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did he give any analysis on why Zafar Gohar was dropped? Take him to NZ . . play him for a test match where he does quite well with the bat and struggles with the ball (as expected).

And then when we come to Pak where he might be slightly more effective, he gets dropped?

I didn't watch the PC so can someone explain to me the rationale behind why he has been shunted?

While at it, can someone also tell me what credentials does Harris Rauf bring as a test bowler? Bowling in T20s and test cricket are vastly different . . What was the explanation behind his inclusion?
    Last edited by NauV; 15th January 2021 at 17:00.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NauV View Post
    Did he give any analysis on why Zafar Gohar was dropped? Take him to NZ . . play him for a test match where he does quite well with the bat and struggles with the ball (as expected).

And then when we come to Pak where he might be slightly more effective, he gets dropped?

I didn't watch the PC so can someone explain to me the rationale behind why he has been shunted?

While at it, can someone also tell me what credentials does Harris Rauf bring as a test bowler? Bowling in T20s and test cricket are vastly different . . What was the explanation behind his inclusion?
    Wasim said he wants spinners that are proven match-winners in domestic cricket. That's why he picked Nauman Ali (spins it away) and Sajid Khan (offspinner). Both topped the charts this season.

I think in his mind, Yasir will spin the ball away and Sajid will be the second spinner. Nauman is on the bench but made it cause he merited a spot.

It's tough on Zafar Gohar but it makes sense.

For Haris Rauf, he wanted someone with aggression as that was a missing ingredient in his squad. He is the only bowler in domestic cricket (any format) that has that ingredient according to Wasim. It's a silly selection but I get the logic. Don't think he's making the cut anyway.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's really impressed me with his analysis and the fact that he picked players who merited a spot for a long time.

Also mentioned in his presentation that he talked with people who were axed from the squad about plans to make a comeback.

Apart from the selections of Abdullah Shafique and Haris Rauf, who I think are under-experienced, everything else made sense.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post
    Wasim said he wants spinners that are proven match-winners in domestic cricket. That's why he picked Nauman Ali (spins it away) and Sajid Khan (offspinner). Both topped the charts this season.

I think in his mind, Yasir will spin the ball away and Sajid will be the second spinner. Nauman is on the bench but made it cause he merited a spot.

For Haris Rauf, he wanted someone with aggression as that was a missing ingredient in his squad. He is the only bowler in domestic cricket (any format) that has that ingredient according to Wasim. It's a silly selection but I get the logic. Don't think he's making the cut anyway.
    Haris Rauf is mainly a conditions based selection. The fact that Naseem Shah has regressed and is injured, Hasnain is too raw, and there's no one else who can bowl with pace and reverse the ball, Haris Rauf makes sense.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Pakistan cricket moving in the right direction.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Just selective biasness by people here.

Misbah made same selections when getting hasnain, Musa and Naseem in.

Anyways, lets see how the selections play out. If they perform they are good selections than.

He dropped mohammad Abbas, that was really really harsh. It makes no sense to drop a guy that avgs 22 with the ball. Only to be replaced by Harris Rauf, a guy who has played i think 2 first class games

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    927 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    However, i would give him credit for spin selection. Good spinners are those that have years of domestic experience. Both spinners selected are expeirnced guys

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Third Man View Post
    Haris Rauf is mainly a conditions based selection. The fact that Naseem Shah has regressed and is injured, Hasnain is too raw, and there's no one else who can bowl with pace and reverse the ball, Haris Rauf makes sense.
    Bowling in T20 cricket can not be compared to Test cricket. T20 is a joke compared to Test cricket . . Having aggression is a good ingredient, sure! Hassan Ali brings that too . . but top of all, you need to be a good bowler with proven credentials/talent to succeed at the highest level!

Bowling 4 overs in a day vs. 20 overs a day in a 5 day test match can't be compared! Requires crazy fitness, focus, control, etc. None of which Harris has shown till now

I will confess I am not a Harris Rauf fan, however I can still stand him in T20 cricket! Seeing him in a test squad hurts . .

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As we have seen in his tenure as head coach of Northern, he is good at identifying players who can deliver in a particular format (in isolation without overlapping with other formats). I hope that he can bring results as the CS of Pak as well.

So far solid selections and decent presentation.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Pindi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Harris Rauf's selection does raise eye brows. He has hardly played any 4 day game at the domestic level

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Front foot six......in his very first bowl....Wasim sahab lajawab

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingusama92 View Post

Responded on Harris Rauf in another comment.

Zafar Gauhar has cricket left in him! He is multi-dimensional . . he is fit . . and he has proven his performances over a number of years!
    Sure, Nauman has done well but the guy is 36 . .

Given a competition between the 2, I would pick Zafar Gauhar every time given his long term value . . you can't give token debuts/caps to people just for hte sake of it or to make up for injustices of the past! It's ruthless I know, but this is Pak international cricket . .

Same is true for Tabish Khan! Way past his best . . and he won't be around for long . .

I dont want to take away from his selection philosophy, his calling the players who were not included and explaining the reason behind their omission, etc. Clearly he has done well and has come across as professional . .

However, selection of Nauman, Tabish specifically seems like he played to the gallery a bit
    Selection of Harris and omission of Zafar Gohar makes zero sense!

I can pick more holes like selection of Abdullah Shafique but I am okay with selectors making bold bets for the future . . so willing to give benefit of the doubt on him

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post

Anyways, lets see how the selections play out. If they perform they are good selections than.

He dropped mohammad Abbas, that was really really harsh. It makes no sense to drop a guy that avgs 22 with the ball. Only to be replaced by Harris Rauf, a guy who has played i think 2 first class games

Your Misbah also selected Sohail Khan, Imran Khan, Kashif bhatti , Ahmed shehzad, Umar akmal, Ifthikar Ahmed, also requested Wahab riaz to come out of test retirement

Why u wanna hide them @Major

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Bowling in T20 cricket can not be compared to Test cricket. T20 is a joke compared to Test cricket . . Having aggression is a good ingredient, sure! Hassan Ali brings that too . . but top of all, you need to be a good bowler with proven credentials/talent to succeed at the highest level!

Bowling 4 overs in a day vs. 20 overs a day in a 5 day test match can't be compared! Requires crazy fitness, focus, control, etc. None of which Harris has shown till now

I will confess I am not a Harris Rauf fan, however I can still stand him in T20 cricket! Seeing him in a test squad hurts . .
    Don't patronize me, please. I've been watching test cricket for decades. I was just trying to explain his thought process to you. The fact is that there was no bowler available for the role he was looking for, and he said from the outset that his selections are based on roles and conditions.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    PAK v SA:

THE GOOD:

• Bold decisions taken such as dropping Shan Masood, Haris Sohail and Mohammad Abbas

Domestic performers like Saud, Kamran, Agha selected

Reasons behind inclusions and exclusions explained and there seems to be a follow-up plan for excluded players

THE BAD:

• No point investing in a 36 year old Tabish

Selections of Rauf and Abdullah are questionable, they have been selected based on potential rather than performances, which I'm not sure is the way to go considering what happened to Mohammad Musa

Dropping Zafar Gohar after just one test

Overall I can agree with 17/20 players in the squad which is pretty good, which would be an 85% success rate or 8.5/10. Dropping Zafar after one test was unfair, so will deduct one point for that.

Overall squad rating = 7.5/10

You are not a drop in the ocean - You are the entire ocean in a drop
    - Rumi

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Third Man View Post
    Don't patronize me, please. I've been watching test cricket for decades. I was just trying to explain his thought process to you. The fact is that there was no bowler available for the role he was looking for, and he said from the outset that his selections are based on roles and conditions.
    Not patronizing you! I undestand you were only trying to relay his explanation . . Just expressing my thoughts on why this is a stupid selection devoid of any clear rationale or evidence of credentials . .

In general, looking at the bowling, there is no real direction for the future . . Shaheen selects himself . . Hassan has come back so lets see where he goes . . but Harris Rauf, Tabish, Nauman . . not sure there is any vision there . .

I can still see what he has tried to do with the batting, so I am okay with it . . I see the direction and his bets . .

Bowling - not sure at all!

Just realized Sarfaraz is there too . . surely he is done in test cricket . . if he has any chance of a comeback, it has to be in the shortest format . . if you want to have a back up for Rizwan, might as well have someone new that you start grooming . .

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He gas started well. Then again they all do. The 11 picked will be misbahs fault but he has done his bit.

Only concern is there will be 4 different players since last tests which gives its a lack of experience look but one has to do that especially playing at home

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not patronizing you! I undestand you were only trying to relay his explanation . . Just expressing my thoughts on why this is a stupid selection devoid of any clear rationale or evidence of credentials . .

In general, looking at the bowling, there is no real direction for the future . . Shaheen selects himself . . Hassan has come back so lets see where he goes . . but Harris Rauf, Tabish, Nauman . . not sure there is any vision there . .

I can still see what he has tried to do with the batting, so I am okay with it . . I see the direction and his bets . .

Bowling - not sure at all!

Just realized Sarfaraz is there too . . surely he is done in test cricket . . if he has any chance of a comeback, it has to be in the shortest format . . if you want to have a back up for Rizwan, might as well have someone new that you start grooming . .
    Yeah, the Sarfaraz one seems to be a media pressure thing, perhaps. But Rohail plays for northern and he should know best whether he's ready for tests at the moment.

As for your critique of the bowling selections, fair points, but I don't know where he could've gone with it. I watched the QeA trophy and the only bowlers who showed any promise at all were these:

1. Irfanullah
    2. Dhani
    3. Arshad Iqbal

The last two are very inexperienced, and we should by now know that test cricket can't be learnt on the job. I wouldn't select them even if they averaged 15. They need at least one more season. Arshad also needs to be told he needs to become a bit leaner. I guess you could argue that he should've selected Irfanullah instead of Tabish. Tbh, I don't like Tabish myself. He's a has-been. Let's see what they do with him in the future.
    Last edited by Third Man; 15th January 2021 at 18:03.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Gujrat
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Pakistan cricket moving in the right direction.

Wasim truly stand's on your vision of data

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Venue
    Stockholm
    Runs
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brought happiness and hope. I was so dejected after NZ series. I hope this is the turnaround for us

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He's made bold decisions and I do like how he backs his selections with evidence.

I just hope people don't turn on him because it will take some time for us to really go toe to toe against the best teams in the world.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Omer2002 View Post
    He gas started well. Then again they all do. The 11 picked will be misbahs fault but he has done his bit.

Only concern is there will be 4 different players since last tests which gives its a lack of experience look but one has to do that especially playing at home
    Misbah started with Ahmed Shehzad, Umar Akmal, and Mohammad Irfan.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdullah Rabbani View Post
    Wasim truly stand's on your vision of data
    I donít see why everyone doesnít stand on this vision. Itís part and parcel of the trade. If fans can tell you that Mohammad Abbas averages 100 against people standing out of the crease to him, then the selector should be able to tell you this as well.

Some really good decisions all round, not that these guys are all world beaters (they arenít, donít expect Saud Shakeel to become Saeed Anwar) but they are the ones who have distinctly performed better than the rest for their respective roles, and thus merit their spots.

This clear vision was much needed and long may it continue.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Wasim has come up the right way, he's put in the work at the domestic level, he's travelled with the players, spent a lot of time at domestic cricket grounds, etc.

No surprise that he's making good selection decisions backed up by facts.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    When asked about his style of presentation:

"I always follow this sort of (data-driven) approach and also is a requirement from the Cricket Committee that we should use technology in a better way, and in the future you will see this being used more and more in domestic cricket"

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a "safe" selection, he could have done better,

You always select player , keeping the future of the team in mind, not just by looking at QeA trophy stats and select the team, that anyone can do, even I can pick team sitting home.

How the players like Tabish, Sarfraz, will serve Pakistan in future, sacking of Zafar in helpful against SA conditions is brutal . To me this was the right time to boost his career and I'm sure he would have done much better . He could have picked in place of Nawaz, if Nauman was must .

Saladdund is also hard done by, he was dropped for no reason after his Ok performance in debut test and has been scoring tones of runs in QeA trophy. On looking at his batting, he looks the most solid of all the new batsmen . Yes, he is 30, not 25, but what about the ages of Tabish, Nauman, Sarfraz, Abid ?

Not too impressed but will give him passing marks 6/10.

I'm really happy he is making QeA trophy the bench mark for selection, that's the way it should be. There will be even more interest in next season . Hope more matches will be telecast live in future.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picking Tabish and Nauman at 36 and 35 are there being rewarded for their domestic performances over the years and to make up the squad numbers as he can not just come in and do a wholesale of everyone being new or inexperienced.

I would have kept Zafar over Nauman given that he made his debut in NZ where he did not get much spin and just scored a few runs, perhaps that is why he picked Nauman as he wants someone who can pick wickets as a specialist spinner.

Overall is quite a decent squad and certainly an upgrade from previous CS selections as well. 8.5 out of 10 he deserves.

Debut
    Aug 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Maybe he should have paid more attention to strike rates especially for fast bowlers in the QEA. Irfan shah had one of the best strike rates amongst fast bowlers, regularly took wickets with the new ball and maintained good control. I would have picked him in the squad on the back of the ball to Usman Salahuddin with the 2nd new ball on the 5th day of the final alone. Clearly he has potential, one of the few side on bowlers in Pak.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its impressive by wasim

He is picked most of the team on merit on the back of domestic performances

Only worry is the fast bowling and questionable selection of the rock thrower , but our fast bowling stocks are pretty dire anyway atm, so just got to give wasim the benefit of the doubt

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This is a revolution we needed for a long time. It may or may not work but at least the dross has paid the price. He needs a find a pair of reliable openers and in the short term AA and another will do, but we have to develop 2 solid openers to get somewhere

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Venue
    The Invincible Fort
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    17 Thread(s)
    Well done MoWasim. Tabish's opportunity might have come after his peak has passed. Interesting to see how he goes

Full credit to Micky Arthur for realizing Babar Azam was born to bat at 3 in all formats.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Responded on Harris Rauf in another comment.

Zafar Gauhar has cricket left in him! He is multi-dimensional . . he is fit . . and he has proven his performances over a number of years!
    Sure, Nauman has done well but the guy is 36 . .

Given a competition between the 2, I would pick Zafar Gauhar every time given his long term value . . you can't give token debuts/caps to people just for hte sake of it or to make up for injustices of the past! It's ruthless I know, but this is Pak international cricket . .

Same is true for Tabish Khan! Way past his best . . and he won't be around for long . .

I dont want to take away from his selection philosophy, his calling the players who were not included and explaining the reason behind their omission, etc. Clearly he has done well and has come across as professional . .

However, selection of Nauman, Tabish specifically seems like he played to the gallery a bit
    Selection of Harris and omission of Zafar Gohar makes zero sense!

I can pick more holes like selection of Abdullah Shafique but I am okay with selectors making bold bets for the future . . so willing to give benefit of the doubt on him
    What have you seen in Zafar that convinces you that he has a future at the higher level. From what I have seen of him he isnt a FC level bowler.

Debut
    Jul 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of whatever I have seen of Wasim on youtube, he comes across as well-spoken, articulate, and forward-thinking. I think he is a great choice for Pakistan. Happy to see Pakistan cricket moving forward.
    All the best to all the Pakistani cricket lovers!

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I hope the selectors are watching the games as well. Just talking statistics isn't going to cut it. Anyway, excited for the Saffer series. It's going to be fun for sure.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Overall very happy with selection ,

My onky beef is Hamad azam deserved a spot over Nawaz

And Abdullah Shafiqís has not got the Performances in first class cricket to merit section

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Negatives:

1-Dropping Zafar, young, experienced and one for future
    2-Selection of Tabish: very old, shortie , no pace, only good for Pakistani low bounce wickets , has no future
    3-Sarfraz: ??
    4-Not selecting Salahuddin: IMO the best domestic batsman who was not in the team already
    5-selection of M Nawaz: a bits and pieces player , not a specialist for test, good for domestic T20, from Pindi
    6-Hariis Rauff's selection : on what basis, what has he done in QeA trophy ? another Pindi player with no test or Fc bowling skill, good only for domestic T20
    7-Team selection purely on stats , computer based not on talent, player's technique and future.
    8-Pindi players got preference , Harris Rauf, Nawaz ??

Positives

1-Droping of Shaan, Abbas, Sohail, that was easy
    2-Emphasis on QeA trophy performance ( but what about Harris Rauf ?? )

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forward Defensive Push View Post
    I hope the selectors are watching the games as well. Just talking statistics isn't going to cut it. Anyway, excited for the Saffer series. It's going to be fun for sure.
    There have been at least two selectors present in every single domestic cricket game that has ever been conducted in the last two years.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7150 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    He is off to a good start.

He has picked a squad that will win him cheap praise from PP hype brigade and former players on their YouTube channels. That was his aim.

As far as Pakistanís chances of winning the series are concerned, nothing has changed and nothing will change no matter what combination we go with.

We will win the series if the pitches turn and Yasir is in form. It doesnít matter who else plays or doesnít.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps our first parchee free squad?

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post

He has picked a squad that will win him cheap praise from PP hype brigade and former players on their YouTube channels. That was his aim.
    Spot on

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rightarmfast View Post
    Of whatever I have seen of Wasim on youtube, he comes across as well-spoken, articulate, and forward-thinking. I think he is a great choice for Pakistan. Happy to see Pakistan cricket moving forward.
    All the best to all the Pakistani cricket lovers!
    Same here. He made bold decisions, backed them up proper reasoning and answered some trash queries by gutter level journalists calmly and with a smile. Hes better than Inzi and ten times better than Misbah.

Quality stuff.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As far as Pakistan’s chances of winning the series are concerned, nothing has changed and nothing will change no matter what combination we go with.

We will win the series if the pitches turn and Yasir is in form.
    It doesn’t matter who else plays or doesn’t.
    Indeed matters a lot.. Seen in the past when domestic performers are given the chance they did do well..

His approach to fill in with inform players + stats is the way to go.. The amount of oozing confidence of the inform player is extremely high.. Pakistan obviously need to cash in on this inform players...

Similar examples are the inclusion of Umar akmal, Ahmed Shehzad, Haris Sohail, Sohaib Maqsood etc.
    When they are selected inform they proved to be right and played much better than the already hang in players in the squad... It is not just for Pakistan but for every cricket playing nation. The inform players will look million dollars in int'l scene as well.

Im sure Agha Salman, Kamran Ghulam , Sajid Khan, Nauman ali when given the chance will perform well and will become the talk of the town until they get find out..

The point is once they get find out in int'l, how well they can prepare , modify, up their skill to cope up and stay in contention is what matters.

Unfortunately for Pakistan only Babar has done that. And tonnes of credit to MA for persisting on him in tests despite his failures in tests initially..

I always believe that Pakistan put up bad 11 , not select the right players that need to be selected. And that is the main reason to keep losing..Atleast now that part looks partly resolved, will need to see how the 11 is picked under Misbah lol..

Misbah will be hesitant to give any one a test debut thats for sure.. Lets see.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decision to drop Abbas is shocking despite his dip in form. Mainly because the idea that Haris and Tabish are somehow better options than him has no basis in reality.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RedwoodOriginal View Post
    Decision to drop Abbas is shocking despite his dip in form. Mainly because the idea that Haris and Tabish are somehow better options than him has no basis in reality.
    He is picking the best side we need for Pakistan - all these people have been taking wickets in FC so why not?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Yeah right!!! Your Misbah was the worst one, selected Sohail Khan, Imran Khan, Kashif bhatti , Ahmed shehzad, Umar akmal, Ifthikar Ahmed, Wahab riaz....

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He is picking the best side we need for Pakistan - all these people have been taking wickets in FC so why not?
    I just don't support this kind of thinking. It's counter-productive and shows lack of vision. What happens if Tabish Khan does well and you take him abroad where he gets completely exposed and as a result becomes a liability. 36 is just no age to give a fast-bowler his test debut.

If he was so intent on rewarding guys who have done well in FC he could have selected Waqas Maqsood.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Would have picked Waqas Maqsood over Haris Rauf and some other opener than Abdullah Shafiq
    Good selections otherwise. Agha Salman has been in good form and can provide a better spin allrounder option than Iftikhar.
    The only way to keep players interested is to give domestic cricketers their due.

Left field choices will always raise eyebrows just like Imam and Imran Khan had been selected out of nowhere in the past.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Main plus point for me is that he has emphasised importance of performances at domestic level, that puts everyone on a level playing field for once. Those criticising picking 35 or 36 yr old players could maybe cut them some slack based on this. They may be older, but clearly they are performing better than their more sexy rivals.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All credit to this man..........

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This squad may not win right away, but its a good long step in the right direction. And hopefully this is not a cheese in a trap for us desparate fans that want merit based selection. I dont want to see this squad lose and wasim claim look guys this top domestic player nonsense doesnt work, back to the ttf's...

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I just don't support this kind of thinking. It's counter-productive and shows lack of vision. What happens if Tabish Khan does well and you take him abroad where he gets completely exposed and as a result becomes a liability. 36 is just no age to give a fast-bowler his test debut.

If he was so intent on rewarding guys who have done well in FC he could have selected Waqas Maqsood.
    actually it has alot of vision. He has covered nearly every option available to the cuptaan and coach. If they want a spinning all-rounder, they have one. If they want a pace allrounder they have that covered too. They have four spinners to choose from. They have two experienced pace bowlers, an enforcer wild card and a steady eddy if required. They have five solid middle order specialists, and four specialists openers. I dont see how that shows a lack of vision. There are other players also in the mix who havent made the 20 but could easily be in a 25. So lets stop the moaning and see how things pan out.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    actually it has alot of vision. He has covered nearly every option available to the cuptaan and coach. If they want a spinning all-rounder, they have one. If they want a pace allrounder they have that covered too. They have four spinners to choose from. They have two experienced pace bowlers, an enforcer wild card and a steady eddy if required. They have five solid middle order specialists, and four specialists openers. I dont see how that shows a lack of vision. There are other players also in the mix who havent made the 20 but could easily be in a 25. So lets stop the moaning and see how things pan out.
    Have you ever seen a test match in Pakistan? Remind me of the last time Pakistan played 2 spinners at home. Not UAE, home.

What is the vision behind selecting a 36 year old fast-bowler? Where do you see this heading? Do you think he will be able to take his 300th wicket by the age of 50?

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ever seen a test match in Pakistan? Remind me of the last time Pakistan played 2 spinners at home. Not UAE, home.

What is the vision behind selecting a 36 year old fast-bowler? Where do you see this heading? Do you think he will be able to take his 300th wicket by the age of 50?
    Have you bothered to check how the Karachi wicket is currently playing? (Hint: it's playing like it could do with two spinners). What is the visiting teams biggest weakness? Spin.

Why was Tabish selected? A steady eddy who can bowl long spells, swing it both ways, bowls the occasional jaffa and can be a good No.9 batsmen.

So, it's not rocket science really. But if you're fixated on whingeing, have at it.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

He clearly said that the best side for the series will be chosen.

If Tabish can is suitable for series in England (for example), he will go there.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    Have you bothered to check how the Karachi wicket is currently playing? (Hint: it's playing like it could do with two spinners). What is the visiting teams biggest weakness? Spin.

Why was Tabish selected? A steady eddy who can bowl long spells, swing it both ways, bowls the occasional jaffa and can be a good No.9 batsmen.

So, it's not rocket science really. But if you're fixated on whingeing, have at it.
    If this is the point we have come down to, where we are selecting squads series to series then I can't say I have much hope for this team. Any side whose thinking is this short-term cannot be taken seriously this format.

And don't tell me about about how he wicket is playing. The wicket plays the way the groundsman prepares it. It doesn't have a constantly fluctuating personality.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Overall not a bad squad of 20, but I would have picked Usman Salahuddin and I'm not so sure about the selection of Haris Rauf.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He clearly said that the best side for the series will be chosen.

If Tabish can is suitable for series in England (for example), he will go there.
    Is this really the point we have come to? where we are selecting squads on a series to series basis? Because this kind of lack of vision and foresight is truly unprecedented.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Overall not a bad squad of 20, but I would have picked Usman Salahuddin and I'm not so sure about the selection of Haris Rauf.
    Haris Rauf he said got picked for the grit/aggressive fast bowler facter, also i dont think he will get narrowed down to 14 or get a game unless we get our rears handed to us in first test... plus Haris had said earlier he wants to play tests too, so this is dangling a carrot in front of him, that hey, we are thinking of you, up your game if you are serious...

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is pretty revolutionary by Pakistani standards and pretty normal Internationally!!

Before we would have to contend with the sedated Inzamam and Misbah coming in with a list reading the names out and explaining in their old fashioned ways why a player was dropped

This guy with a cooperate and sleek presentation comes here with his homework done and is ready with all the answers.

He speaks confidently and selects probably the most merited side on his first day.

This is like Anil kapoor in the Nayak as chief minister. This is a first ball six
    Last edited by waleed88; 15th January 2021 at 23:12.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    494 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

As far as Pakistan’s chances of winning the series are concerned, nothing has changed and nothing will change no matter what combination we go with.

We will win the series if the pitches turn and Yasir is in form. It doesn’t matter who else plays or doesn’t.
    What if the pitches don't suit spin?

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    557 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I think age is against Usman. MW will.know their real ages and would have taken that into consideration. I dont think Rauf is such a terrible punt, its not as if he has taken the place of any decent bowler. He has a good seam which will always give him a chance and maybe not being attacked every ball will give him a chance to settle into line and length at around 84mph. My biggest concern about him is that he looks a bit thick.

Debut
    Apr 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Off to a very strong start. Seems passionate and serious about his job. Wish him all the luck. Would have preferred to see a new coach beside him to be honest because team winning against SA will give another lifeline to Misbah-Waqar.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If this is the point we have come down to, where we are selecting squads series to series then I can't say I have much hope for this team. Any side whose thinking is this short-term cannot be taken seriously this format.

And don't tell me about about how he wicket is playing. The wicket plays the way the groundsman prepares it. It doesn't have a constantly fluctuating personality.
    If you watch the full presser he establishes that the overall aim is to have a squad largely consisting of all scenario players. That is reflected in the majority of the selections, I.e. a core nucleus of the side. However, especially for a team in transition, it's important to start winning. Thus you make fringe selections around said nucleus to give you the best chance of winning. Once you have some momentum and confidence, you can replace those fringe selections with stronger candidates. Remember, team building is a process, a journey.

Secondly, Tabish can contribute towards winning immediately then great. If not, he can be phased out for a younger performing quick this time next year.

Lastly, on your point regarding the Karachi wicket, it may well be that the groundsman will prepare the wicket based on the coaches recommendation, given the available squad. Thus, don't expect a green top in KHI.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KingOfPakBreakfast View Post
    If you watch the full presser he establishes that the overall aim is to have a squad largely consisting of all scenario players. That is reflected in the majority of the selections, I.e. a core nucleus of the side. However, especially for a team in transition, it's important to start winning. Thus you make fringe selections around said nucleus to give you the best chance of winning. Once you have some momentum and confidence, you can replace those fringe selections with stronger candidates. Remember, team building is a process, a journey.

Secondly, Tabish can contribute towards winning immediately then great. If not, he can be phased out for a younger performing quick this time next year.

Lastly, on your point regarding the Karachi wicket, it may well be that the groundsman will prepare the wicket based on the coaches recommendation, given the available squad. Thus, don't expect a green top in KHI.
    You know what? I suggest you go look at my thread on Tabish Khan. So we can finally put this perception to rest that Tabish has somehow been selected on the basis of consistent performances

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    I feel Wasim will do good things in the coming years if given a good coaching staff.

However, his real test is going to be coming up when it's time to cut some of his selections. Does he fall in love with his picks? Is he willing to be just as ruthless as he was this time around?

If yes, I think Wasim will build a successful squad because eventually, you're going to find the right pieces. A lot of Pakistan's woes happen because selectors start toying around with the core selections based on their favorites, regional biases, and/or nepotism. Your core selections should always be based on domestic + international performances + expected pitch conditions and then you can bring "talented" individuals around the edges (i.e. Shafique, Rauf) as lottery picks.

Wasim has pretty much done this. A few iffy picks are normal for even the best selectors on the planet so that's not a big deal. Selectors are still allowed to have their opinions especially someone as involved as Wasim in domestic cricket.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like Mohammad Wasim is more focused on keeping his job rather than making some real positive changes in the team. That's the problem when someone is not financially secure due to lack of professional education or other reason.

He keeps on emphasizing on performance in QeA trophy, what performance Harris Rauf had in FC cricket. Rauf will be new Musa in Wasim's tenure, ridiculous selection .

What about Salahuddin's consistent performance in FC cricket ? Why that did not do any good to him.

Aged , shortie and close to retirement Tabish and Sarfraz's selection is just to make some friends in Karachi , does not make any cricketing sense.

Bits and pieces player Nawaz, replacing a specialist Zafar for tests.

My excitement was short lived.

Debut
    Jan 2008
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    563 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post
    Looks like Mohammad Wasim is more focused on keeping his job rather than making some real positive changes in the team. That's the problem when someone is not financially secure due to lack of professional education or other reason.

He keeps on emphasizing on performance in QeA trophy, what performance Harris Rauf had in FC cricket. Rauf will be new Musa in Wasim's tenure, ridiculous selection .

What about Salahuddin's consistent performance in FC cricket ? Why that did not do any good to him.

Aged , shortie and close to retirement Tabish and Sarfraz's selection is just to make some friends in Karachi , does not make any cricketing sense.

He explained everything in the press conference.

Haris Rauf was selected as an enforcer/aggressive bowler as that's something the squad lacked. The alternatives were all the same (i.e. Hasnain) so he went with the guy who has found success at the international level.

For Salahuddin, it was likely between him and Salman Ali Agha. Salman is younger, had a better season (equal runs but averaged 10 more), and bats at a higher strike rate.

Tabish doesn't matter cause he's not playing anyway. It's just a like-for-like replacement after cutting Abbas or I think Waqas Mahmood was going to make it over him.

Nawaz and Zafar is a fair criticism but I think they wanted a batting all-rounder and Nawaz averaged 47+ this season. The specialist spinners are Nauman Ali and Sajid Ali, who went #1 and #2 as the best bowlers this season. Plus, Yasir of course.

I wouldn't worry about these selections as they're all fringe ones. 2-3 of them will get cut as the selection dwindles down to 16 before the series.

Debut
    May 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moghul View Post

Many posters on here will have reasoned critiques on the squad. Yours unfortunately isn't very well thought out.

If you'd bothered to watch the press conference (you didn't) you would gave understood that Wasim explained each new inclusion. Where there weren't alternatives in first class for a role (I.e. a 150kph quick/enforcer) he went on potential. Thus, as Rauf whilst having little first class experience, had the potential to fulfil the enforcer role. Know of any other 150kph bowlers in Pakistan domestic first class? No, didn't think so.

Regarding Salahuddin's exclusion, you should have a maximum of ten batsmen and 6 middle order players in your squad. He's picked the Babar, ex captain and contributor Azhar, century in in the last series Fawad plus a kid in Saud who provides a left hand option. Kamran Ghulam just made the mist runs in a season in 3 decades and Agha Salman, aside from scoring a bucket ful of runs season on season, also bowls handy off spin. They're also 3 to 5 years younger than Salahuddin, who also scored fewer runs than all three of the above. But he clearly he warrants a place. Perhaps we could include another 4 middle order bats and make it a full team?

Tabish is a like for like replacement for Abbas who can bowl long spells, bowls quicker than 120kph and can also bat better than Abbas. He also has an ability to move the ball both ways. He's unlikely to play either test, but acts as an indicator that domestic performances for specific roles will be rewarded. Man, how unreasonable is that?!?

Sarfaraz is your reserve keeper for covid and concussion protocol reasons, because unless your living on Mars, there's a pandemic out there. God forbid, if Rizwan gets ill you need a senior keeper to come in his place.

Nawaz has been included as a batting all-rounder, rather than a Zafar replacement AND he's had a storming first class season as a batter. If anything, he's competing with Faheem if the team plays an all-rounder. Zafar was dropped because they want to play spinners who'll take wickets first, and both Nauman and Sajid meet that criteria better than Zafar. Expect to see Zafar in the limited overs squad.

This is probably one of the more progressive squads we've had in the last five years.

So, if you want to make a fair critique, no issues. However, making accusations about a man's character based on your weak reasoning is a terrible look. Try harder next time.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh my days....just keep quiet

As far as Pakistanís chances of winning the series are concerned, nothing has changed and nothing will change no matter what combination we go with.

We will win the series if the pitches turn and Yasir is in form. It doesnít matter who else plays or doesnít.

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Don't see Rauf, Shafique, Tabish and Nawaz making the final cut to be honest.

Debut
    Apr 2011
    Venue
    Toronto (Dhaka)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2624 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Did a popular job, I must say and I can see as well. The home fixture also allows him some space & itís always easier to please fans if you are allowed to pick 20 men for two home Tests - 5-6 popular spots can be accommodated. And, he brought technology (MS excel & power point) in PAKís selection process as well - impressive.

Overall, I am sure 9-10 of his starters for first Test would have been picked by any other CS as well because these are actually automatic picks for PAK. Few drops like Naseem, Shan & Haris were also expected after the NZ show. Hasan Ali was due to return - no cake for that either. Dropping 26 years old Gohar for 35 years old Nauman didnít bring ďcriticsĒ here because it doesnít fit the agenda now and Gohar also was debuted to fail at Hagley, guy batted well though.

I think, Wasim did take a bold call to bring few domestic performers, but his 20 men cavalry keeps the field open for Babar (& Misbah) to pick & choose for playing XI - therefore Iím not sure how many of Butt, Saud, Nawaz, Sajid, Nauman, Tabish, Rauf, Aga, Abdullah or Ghulam will get a game - though I expect at least two new faces for 1st Test.

Also, I hope he has a chat with Babar & Azhar that the later will open, otherwise Saud is being forced out again - this time by Butt or Abdullah, none deserves it over Saud.

Depending on the track, I expect PAK to go with at least two proper spinners, if not 2.5 and his selection keeps those options open - he has picked every single player I would have picked for my match squad of 14 - Iíll give 8+ only for that; rest is on Babar, the recently empowered PAK captain, who can pick is 11 of match day now.

Expecting a slow turner at Karachi but the wicket is not likely to burn much in January, therefore ideally, thisíll be my playing XI:
    Abid
    Azhar
    Saud
    Babar
    Fawad
    Rizwan
    Faheem
    Yasir
    Nauman
    Hasan
    Shaheen

If itís really that dry a track, may be they can think of dropping Shaheen (yes, Shaheen - not the best with old ball and very little reversing capacity on dry surface) for Nawaz, Ghulam or even Sajid. Otherwise at least 9 players including Faheem selects select themselves.

That would have been my 14 as well, so kudos to Wasim.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Four things going for Waseem

1. The shambolic NZ tour. Wasim has all the license from the public to do what he wants with selections. Harder to do so if you inherit a winning team.
    2. The policy of picking up 'babies' as 'talent' and 'shock and awe' has not worked for a long time. The only route open for Wasim was to pick domestic performers. He already believes in it so it was easy.
    3. Babar is back. A morale boost for the team and a significant increase in team strength.
    4. Series at home.

One thing not going for Wasim:

Handing the squad over to Misbah, Younis, Waqar and team. Not convinced they will get tactics or man management right.