User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

"Mohammad Amir is still one of the world’s best white-ball bowlers" : Mickey Arthur

The customary build-up to the sixth edition of the Pakistan Super League’s (PSL) is well underway, with all six franchises finalizing their squads at the recent Player Draft. The 2021 offering of one of the cricket world’s top Twenty20 leagues is due to begin on 20th February in Karachi with the final scheduled to take place on 22nd March in Lahore.

Name:  ma_2.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  78.6 KB

Whilst Pakistan and Karachi Kings former Head Coach, Mickey Arthur, is currently busy with Sri Lanka’s home series against England, he has as expected been keeping a close eye on how the PSL squads are shaping up as he explained in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t follow what was going on in the recent PSL draft as I do take a keen interest in this tournament. To me all the squads look very well balanced and I am sure we can all once again, look forward to a very competitive tournament this year.”

The 5th season of PSL, which was interrupted by the advent of the Coronavirus Pandemic and completed in November of last year, did produce some high-quality games which included a fall from grace of Islamabad United as they plunged to last position in the points table, as well as the resurgence of Lahore Qalandars who made it all the way to the final. This undoubtedly lends a more competitive edge to this year’s tournament and is an aspect that Mickey Arthur is very excited about, especially given the relative strengths of some of the squads.

“From what I have seen of the selected PSL squads, I do like the look of Lahore Qalandars as I feel they have a lot of strength, particularly from a bowling point of view with bowlers like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf and David Wiese in their attack. To be honest, all the teams look good though. I’ve got a special fondness for Islamabad seeing that they have Shadab Khan who to me has all the makings of an exceptional captain. In addition, getting Hassan Ali on their roster was also a good move for them and his presence could make a big difference this season.”

Previous editions of the PSL have always given rise to some exceptional young talents who have gone on to be beneficial to the national side. The likes of Shadab Khan, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Hasnain and Musa Khan are just some of the names that have gone on to represent Pakistan after some excellent performances in the PSL. It is in this light that the former Pakistan Head Coach is perplexed by the fact that the likes of Abdullah Shafique who was recently selected for the national Twenty20 side ostensibly for his potential, has failed to find a home in any one of the six franchises for PSL 6.

“What was disappointing to see for me in this Player Draft was that guys like Abdullah Shafique were not picked up by any franchise. If you’re playing in the Pakistan national team as was Abdullah during the tour of New Zealand, one expects him to have been playing in the PSL, which to me is almost obligatory. This whole situation is fairly disappointing, as is probably for the players too.”

It is logical to assume that Arthur, who was appointed Head Coach of Karachi Kings for their debut season in 2016 and continued to hold that position until 2019 when he was replaced by the Late Dean Jones, has a vested interest in how the team he helped nurture has fared since his departure.

“I obviously follow Karachi Kings with a lot of interest because they’re my franchise. I really like the look of this squad and I feel that the inclusion of Dan Christian has really bolstered their all-round ability. I think it was Babar Azam who said it and it is something I totally agree with, which is that your overseas players will win you games, but it’s your local players that win you tournaments. It’s your core nucleus of local players that is the key in terms of picking teams and I am convinced that Karachi have the right mix of local and foreign players in their line-up.”

It would have been a marketing man’s dream to see a Karachi versus Lahore final in Pakistan’s premier T20 tournament and that is what transpired in November 2020. For Karachi, it was a 5 year wait to finally lift the PSL Trophy, but as their former Head Coach puts it, the Karachi franchise also has the firepower needed to continue their reign and retain the title in 2021.

“I am convinced that Karachi Kings have the ability to retain the title this year. In Babar Azam they’ve got one of the world’s best Twenty20 batsmen and I still think that they’ve got one of the world’s best white-ball bowlers in Mohammad Amir, and the same can be said about Imad Wasim who in my view is an incredible white-ball bowler. All in all, Karachi Kings are a very strong side and one that can once again, go all the way and lift the trophy in 2021.”
    Last edited by MenInG; 16th January 2021 at 22:42.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    If only Mickey Arthur could've overseen the development of Haider Ali and Abdullah Shafiq.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Venue
    Chicago, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very well said Micky, his analysis and description on all PSL teams are worth reading. The best comment given on Abdullah Shafiq and asked a question that a potentially talented batsmen selected for the country have no place in any franchise. I blame Misbah for selecting him and exposing a raw talent against New Zealand in New Zealand instead of letting him stay in Pakistan to play all QEA 4 days domestic season.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    If Mickey was in charge whilst Haider and Abdullah were around. And Saud. Wow.

We could have had an ATG line up:

Haider Ali
    Abdullah Shafique
    Babar Azam
    Saud Shakeel.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    If Mickey was in charge whilst Haider and Abdullah were around. And Saud. Wow.

We could have had an ATG line up:

Haider Ali
    Abdullah Shafique
    Babar Azam
    Saud Shakeel.
    Have faith in Muhammad Wasim.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    406 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Have faith in Muhammad Wasim.
    It's not about the selector, it's about the coach and how they help develop the right batting mindset into a batsman. The hunger for runs etc etc. Wasim just selects the squad. His job is done now.

Debut
    Oct 2007
    Venue
    Amsterdam / Faisalabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not renewing Mickey's contract is probably Wasim Khan's only blunder till date.

"You aren't a failure if you fail, you are a failure if you don't get up to try again" - Imran Khan.

Debut
    Oct 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Drive View Post
    It's not about the selector, it's about the coach and how they help develop the right batting mindset into a batsman. The hunger for runs etc etc. Wasim just selects the squad. His job is done now.
    Do you think Andy Flower will be capable of that?

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    If only Mickey Arthur could've overseen the development of Haider Ali and Abdullah Shafiq.
    I think he works well with young up and coming players and tends to get the best out of them.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The team that toured England in 2018 was a good basis - and those good prospects of late Saud, Haider, Abdullah, plus Rizwan and Shaheen who are now firm test players:

Azhar (still solid)
    Abdullah (needs time)
    Saud (proven domestic)
    Babar
    Haider (needs time)
    Rizwan
    Faheem
    Yasir (for now)
    Hassan
    Amir
    Shaheen

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    875 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zain7077 View Post
    Do you think Andy Flower will be capable of that?
    Andy Flower is better to coach than Mickey, but he is strict in discipline, he would not compromise on that. He should bring his own team with him , and should focus on mid term and long term goals.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If Andy flower is not interested then think Mickey can be brought back which is pretty much easy comparatively. but will he accept that now is a big question mark after all the turmoil.

I think Pakistan can offer more than what Srilanka can give in terms of money.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ask_analyse_act View Post
    If Andy flower is not interested then think Mickey can be brought back which is pretty much easy comparatively. but will he accept that now is a big question mark after all the turmoil.

I think Pakistan can offer more than what Srilanka can give in terms of money.
    Don't think Mickey will be interested after the embarrassing manner in which he was let go. Secondly he can't just walk out of his contract with the Sri Lankan team.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey is not getting results with SriLanka either, SriLanka though is even worse team than the one he had with Pakistan.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mickey's eyes would be lit up if he saw the players he could work with in the current setup, the likes of Babar are established in the team, but he would have the luxury of developing Shadab, Haider, Zafar, Abdullah, Saud, and so many more. He'd really maximize the development of our talent, shame that he was released.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPremi View Post
    Mickey is not getting results with SriLanka either, SriLanka though is even worse team than the one he had with Pakistan.
    They are such a weak team. Hardly any world-class players and match-winners.

A shadow of teams of the past.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    I think he works well with young up and coming players and tends to get the best out of them.
    I noticed that the headline was

“Amir is still an exceptional white ball bowler”

Rather than...

“Shadab Khan has all the makings of an exceptional captain”.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    Peshawar
    Runs
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think so, as he is going down the same route as Junaid Khan; route of a trundler! If he won't regain his pace (140 kph and above), then consider his career over already.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Junaids View Post
    I noticed that the headline was

“Amir is still an exceptional white ball bowler”

Rather than...

“Shadab Khan has all the makings of an exceptional captain”.
    It could have been either

Mickey rates Shadab very highly and always has done. He sees him as a future Pakistan captain no doubt.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find it funny that how much Mickey is fixated with Pak cricket and does not concentrate enough on Sri Lankan team. All those people who want him back, let me remind that it was Mickey Arthur's tenure during which Muhammad Amir averaged 92 for one and a half year. Pakistani's should stop treating him like some sort of messiah. He is good at politics though as he keeps on giving those people pleasing statements.
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th January 2021 at 18:09.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    I find it funny that how much Mickey is fixated with Pak cricket and does not concentrate enough on Sri Lankan team. All those people who want him back, let me remind that it was Mickey Arthur's tenure during which Muhammad Amir averaged 92 for one and a half year. Pakistani's should stop treating him like some sort of messiah. He is good at politics though as he keeps on giving those people pleasing statements.
    Lol Mickey was good at playing to the galleries. Tbh it was under Mickey that Amir was bowled to the ground and where he declined from 145 km/hr to 127-132 km/hr. And then Mickey comes out in interviews after being let go as coach about Mohd Amirs workload issues and how he was right to leave test cricket.
    Last edited by MenInG; 20th January 2021 at 21:18.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=MenInG;11045554]The customary build-up to the sixth edition of the Pakistan Super League’s (PSL) is well underway, with all six franchises finalizing their squads at the recent Player Draft. The 2021 offering of one of the cricket world’s top Twenty20 leagues is due to begin on 20th February in Karachi with the final scheduled to take place on 22nd March in Lahore.

Name:  ma_2.jpg
Views: 1810
Size:  78.6 KB

Whilst Pakistan and Karachi Kings former Head Coach, Mickey Arthur, is currently busy with Sri Lanka’s home series against England, he has as expected been keeping a close eye on how the PSL squads are shaping up as he explained in an exclusive interview with PakPassion.net, “I’d be lying if I said I didn’t follow what was going on in the recent PSL draft as I do take a keen interest in this tournament. To me all the squads look very well balanced and I am sure we can all once again, look forward to a very competitive tournament this year.”

The 5th season of PSL, which was interrupted by the advent of the Coronavirus Pandemic and completed in November of last year, did produce some high-quality games which included a fall from grace of Islamabad United as they plunged to last position in the points table, as well as the resurgence of Lahore Qalandars who made it all the way to the final. This undoubtedly lends a more competitive edge to this year’s tournament and is an aspect that Mickey Arthur is very excited about, especially given the relative strengths of some of the squads.

“From what I have seen of the selected PSL squads, I do like the look of Lahore Qalandars as I feel they have a lot of strength, particularly from a bowling point of view with bowlers like Shaheen Shah Afridi, Haris Rauf and David Wiese in their attack. To be honest, all the teams look good though. I’ve got a special fondness for Islamabad seeing that they have Shadab Khan who to me has all the makings of an exceptional captain. In addition, getting Hassan Ali on their roster was also a good move for them and his presence could make a big difference this season.”

Previous editions of the PSL have always given rise to some exceptional young talents who have gone on to be beneficial to the national side. The likes of Shadab Khan, Shaheen Shah Afridi, Mohammad Hasnain and Musa Khan are just some of the names that have gone on to represent Pakistan after some excellent performances in the PSL. It is in this light that the former Pakistan Head Coach is perplexed by the fact that the likes of Abdullah Shafique who was recently selected for the national Twenty20 side ostensibly for his potential, has failed to find a home in any one of the six franchises for PSL 6.

“What was disappointing to see for me in this Player Draft was that guys like Abdullah Shafique were not picked up by any franchise. If you’re playing in the Pakistan national team as was Abdullah during the tour of New Zealand, one expects him to have been playing in the PSL, which to me is almost obligatory. This whole situation is fairly disappointing, as is probably for the players too.”

It is logical to assume that Arthur, who was appointed Head Coach of Karachi Kings for their debut season in 2016 and continued to hold that position until 2019 when he was replaced by the Late Dean Jones, has a vested interest in how the team he helped nurture has fared since his departure.

“I obviously follow Karachi Kings with a lot of interest because they’re my franchise. I really like the look of this squad and I feel that the inclusion of Dan Christian has really bolstered their all-round ability. I think it was Babar Azam who said it and it is something I totally agree with, which is that your overseas players will win you games, but it’s your local players that win you tournaments. It’s your core nucleus of local players that is the key in terms of picking teams and I am convinced that Karachi have the right mix of local and foreign players in their line-up.”

It would have been a marketing man’s dream to see a Karachi versus Lahore final in Pakistan’s premier T20 tournament and that is what transpired in November 2020. For Karachi, it was a 5 year wait to finally lift the PSL Trophy, but as their former Head Coach puts it, the Karachi franchise also has the firepower needed to continue their reign and retain the title in 2021.

“I am convinced that Karachi Kings have the ability to retain the title this year. In Babar Azam they’ve got one of the world’s best Twenty20 batsmen and I still think that they’ve got one of the world’s best white-ball bowlers in Mohammad Amir, and the same can be said about Imad Wasim who in my view is an incredible white-ball bowler. All in all, Karachi Kings are a very strong side and one that can once again, go all the way and lift the trophy in 2021.

"Good bowler or not, he is a selfish traitor. He should be thankful that Pakistan gave him a second chance. Now he is again tarnishing and harming Pakistan cricket with statements. All for his personal gain. Payback to Pakistan for ignoring his betrayal of Pakistan."

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Faizhassan View Post
    amir is nearing 30.. i think riaz got some handy skills we could bring him on to bowl and he'd get wickets not to mention hes got batting skills remember his patriotic innings against AFG in world cup 15(9)*... hes a total MVP for Pakistan while amir aint good PR (past 10.5 years and all) just saying

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2749 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    03rd February 2021

Following PCR Tests carried out on the Provisional Squad, which was preparing to take part in the National Team’s upcoming tour of West Indies, Head Coach Mickey Arthur and Sri Lanka Player Lahiru Thirimanne have tested Positive for Covid-19.

They were detected following PCR Tests carried out yesterday (02nd February) for the entire 36-member squad, along with the Coaching Staff, Net Bowlers, and the HPC Staff.

Immediately upon identification, both Mickey Arthur and Lahiru Thirimanne have been directed to follow the Government’s health protocol laid out on Covid – 19.

The 36-member group commenced practices on the 28th January, in 03 groups and at different time periods, as a precautionary health measure.

Considering the current situation, SLC is exploring the possibility of rescheduling the Tour of West Indies, which was scheduled to commence on 20th Feb. 2021.

In the meantime, Sri Lanka Cricket will continue with normal operations, adhering to the stipulated Health Protocols in all its centers.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2569 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I wish Mickey Arthur a full and speedy recovery.

He’s a similar age and fitness level to Kate Garraway’s poor husband, so we should take nothing for granted.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Well Amir has chosen his destiny and only the removal of Misbah-ul-Haq and Waqar Younis will change his mind.

Such a silly situation really and one that could have been avoided.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    522 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What intrigues me is that how someone like Amir feels i.e if he feels anything at all seeing Hassan and Shaheen winning a test match which is the top form of cricket and consequently the test series for their country while few days ago Amir's was bowling in a random T10 tournament. Its hard to imaging that he doesnt feel anything as this is what any young boy who starts playing cricket dreams of to win matches for his national team instead of trying to make a franchise T10 team known as Pune Devils win a match vs Maratha Arabian. Sportsmen with skills good enough generally love playing at the biggest stage where all eyes are looking at them instead of random gigs in which no one remembers the performance the next day.

Yes priorities do change in life but, a profession like sports requires a lot of passion for anyone to pursue and if someone does pursue its usually with an aim of playing at the highest level. So really surprises me when I see players like Amir who dont want to pursue that dream anymore rather just want to lend their skills for money to random leagues and that too at their peak, when they can have numerous opportunities do the same later in their careers and even after that they can earn money by remaining part of the sport one way or another.
    Last edited by Titan24; 9th February 2021 at 03:57.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    488 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Amir can only dream of doing what Hassan Ali did against a premier opposition team on a flat pitch at home. Take a hike Amir and don't let the door hit you

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    What intrigues me is that how someone like Amir feels i.e if he feels anything at all seeing Hassan and Shaheen winning a test match which is the top form of cricket and consequently the test series for their country while few days ago Amir's was bowling in a random T10 tournament. Its hard to imaging that he doesnt feel anything as this is what any young boy who starts playing cricket dreams of to win matches for his national team instead of trying to make a franchise T10 team known as Pune Devils win a match vs Maratha Arabian. Sportsmen with skills good enough generally love playing at the biggest stage where all eyes are looking at them instead of random gigs in which no one remembers the performance the next day.

Yes priorities do change in life but, a profession like sports requires a lot of passion for anyone to pursue and if someone does pursue its usually with an aim of playing at the highest level. So really surprises me when I see players like Amir who dont want to pursue that dream anymore rather just want to lend their skills for money to random leagues and that too at their peak, when they can have numerous opportunities do the same later in their careers and even after that they can earn money by remaining part of the sport one way or another.
    He took a chance sighting the dismal show in New Zealand and based off of some weak information from his ill-advised journalist friend; Shoaib Jatt that Andy flower was set to be the next coach.

Jatt has ruined many a career for his two minutes of fame and Amir has added himself to that list.

With Misbah set to be retained, his career looks as good as over.