Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

Indian state decides to rename dragon fruit because it resembles a Lotus

State government has decided rename Dragon Fruit. As the outer shape of the fruit resembles a lotus, hence Dragon Fruit shall be renamed as 'Kamalam': Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani

Because priorities
    Last edited by The Viper; 21st January 2021 at 01:03.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Madplayer View Post
    State government has decided rename Dragon Fruit. As the outer shape of the fruit resembles a lotus, hence Dragon Fruit shall be renamed as 'Kamalam': Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani

Because priorities
    Nothing about priority, as giving it a better name doesn't hamper or come in way of regular duties of the govt. It is a low hanging fruit.

In punjab, local stores have renamed zucchini to jugni. This is how democracy works with a language, words are modified or added to suit people and not the other way round.
    Last edited by The Viper; 21st January 2021 at 01:03.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indian officials love changing names for random reasons

Kinda like thier hobby or something

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Nothing about priority, as giving it a better name doesn't hamper or come in way of regular duties of the govt. It is a low hanging fruit.

In punjab, local stores have renamed zucchini to jugni. This is how democracy works with a language, words are modified or added to suit people and not the other way round.
    Did Punjab govt. change Zucchini to Jugni?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    Indian officials love changing names for random reasons

Kinda like thier hobby or something
    Dragon fruit is not the original name of the fruit, so if someone can change it to dragon fruit because it looked like dragon to that person, why others don't have right to change it to something as they see it. Dragons are aliens to our culture anyway.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Did Punjab govt. change Zucchini to Jugni?
    People did. But what is the point? People can and govt which represents people, cannot?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    People did. But what is the point? People can and govt which represents people, cannot?
    You got that right.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You got that right.
    I asked, didn't make a statement. Seems you think govt doesn;t have mandate to change name. How is it even logical that people can, but the representatives of people cannot do it? Also dragon fruit itself was a name change, it is fascism to think it should be the final name and no one dare change it.

I never buy this druit, now I think that it was the ugly name which was putting me off. Will definitely buy it when it has a better name.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I asked, didn't make a statement. Seems you think govt doesn;t have mandate to change name. How is it even logical that people can, but the representatives of people cannot do it? Also dragon fruit itself was a name change, it is fascism to think it should be the final name and no one dare change it.

I never buy this druit, now I think that it was the ugly name which was putting me off. Will definitely buy it when it has a better name.
    You are right. It would have been a problem if the govt had better things to do.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nomenclature nazis are same as grammar nazis, extreme fascists who don't know that languages, names and grammar evolve and change, and language is fluid and dynamic, not a static entity.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    You are right. It would have been a problem if the govt had better things to do.
    Just because govt has better things to do doesn't mean the low hanging fruits should not be done. Do you think this hampered the govts other duties? Did it take way something from education or health care budget, or the construction of a road got delayed by an hour because of this?

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just because govt has better things to do doesn't mean the low hanging fruits should not be done. Do you think this hampered the govts other duties? Did it take way something from education or health care budget, or the construction of a road got delayed by an hour because of this?
    It doesnt reflect good on a country that its government discusses trivial issues like changes in a fruit's name in the middle of a pandemic and an economic crisis. It makes the nation a laughing stock as you can see from the reaction to this news. And to add to it, the name is being changed to a Kamalam which is BJP's symbol. Right now even discussing this thing makes me feel i am wasting my time. How the Gujrat government managed to sit down in a room and discuss this change is beyond me

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    It doesnt reflect good on a country that its government discusses trivial issues like changes in a fruit's name in the middle of a pandemic and an economic crisis. It makes the nation a laughing stock as you can see from the reaction to this news. And to add to it, the name is being changed to a Kamalam which is BJP's symbol. Right now even discussing this thing makes me feel i am wasting my time. How the Gujrat government managed to sit down in a room and discuss this change is beyond me
    Just because there are idiots in the world who don't know how govts function, that there are separate ministries for separate tasks and trivial things only need a circular, doesn't mean govts should stop going about their business.

Lotus is not just bjp symbol, it is ubiquitous in indian culture. So if cycle is symbol of a party, then dedicated cycle lanes should not be built, and if elephant is a symbol, then no construction should have elephant as a motif?

Govt rightly doesn't care about the idiots who are only looking for next things to outrage about.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Just because there are idiots in the world who don't know how govts function, that there are separate ministries for separate tasks and trivial things only need a circular, doesn't mean govts should stop going about their business.

Lotus is not just bjp symbol, it is ubiquitous in indian culture. So if cycle is symbol of a party, then dedicated cycle lanes should not be built, and if elephant is a symbol, then no construction should have elephant as a motif?

Govt rightly doesn't care about the idiots who are only looking for next things to outrage about.
    Is there a separate ministry in India for changing fruit names and dont they sit down to discuss anything before putting out that circular?

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Is there a separate ministry in India for changing fruit names and dont they sit down to discuss anything before putting out that circular?
    Your objections were:
    1. Govt should not do it, but people can. Answered.
    2. Govt should have higher priorities. Answered.
    3. Party symbol conflict. Answered.
    4. Gives a bad image. Answered.

Let me know which answer you are not satisfied with and I will try to explain better.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Your objections were:
    1. Govt should not do it, but people can. Answered.
    2. Govt should have higher priorities. Answered.
    3. Party symbol conflict. Answered.
    4. Gives a bad image. Answered.

Let me know which answer you are not satisfied with and I will try to explain better.
    All of those answers are unsatisfactory because the entire thing is dumb to begin with

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    All of those answers are unsatisfactory because the entire thing is dumb to begin with
    then I refuse to engage with you on this matter henceforth as I find your tone mocking and not conducive to an honest and intelligent discussion which this topic demands.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    then I refuse to engage with you on this matter henceforth as I find your tone mocking and not conducive to an honest and intelligent discussion which this topic demands.
    Good on them. Makes sense to rename it to something that is more culturally appropriate than dragons.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyVenom View Post
    Good on them. Makes sense to rename it to something that is more culturally appropriate than dragons.
    What was the name of the fruit before it was called Dragon fruit? I am assuming it had one, or maybe it was imported hence the foreign nomenclature?

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    What was the name of the fruit before it was called Dragon fruit? I am assuming it had one, or maybe it was imported hence the foreign nomenclature?
    The names of origin don't matter once englishmen decide to call it something. Legend has it that when your ancestor Cpt Cook asked the aborigines about the name of the marsupial, they said kan ga roo meaning I don't know. Like many legends it may be false story, but underpins the point that when the englishmen christen something, it stays.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    The names of origin don't matter once englishmen decide to call it something. Legend has it that when your ancestor Cpt Cook asked the aborigines about the name of the marsupial, they said kan ga roo meaning I don't know. Like many legends it may be false story, but underpins the point that when the englishmen christen something, it stays.
    That was failing of Aborigines, if they didn't have a name then we Brits provided one, win win for all really. Even kept the name in native language which shows some cultural respect if nothing else.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nowadays in the Arab world the Englishmen don't even need to christen something but the Arabs name it anyway. I was in Qatar recently and they named their artificial Island The Pearl, which is a nice English name but Arabs pronounce it as DE Burl since they don't have these sounds.

This is why I respect India in this regard. They are reclaiming their names in their own language and its beautiful. No need to show subservience to Englishmen anymore.

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Nowadays in the Arab world the Englishmen don't even need to christen something but the Arabs name it anyway. I was in Qatar recently and they named their artificial Island The Pearl, which is a nice English name but Arabs pronounce it as DE Burl since they don't have these sounds.

This is why I respect India in this regard. They are reclaiming their names in their own language and its beautiful. No need to show subservience to Englishmen anymore.
    There are two indias. The english educated elite who form 99% of indian posters still have colonial mindset. They live in societies named in fancy english, latin or greek names like Prestige Meadows, La Magnolia, Phoenix Luxuria, you get the drift.

By good fortune and the blessings of an englishman, I got admission in a convent school, where I was the odd man out. During letter writing assignments, I would write my address as 28/2 Park Lane, the most posh street in my town, instead of the slum I came from, which had a vernacular name, as I didn't want to give away that I wasn't one of them.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    everywhere
    Runs
    Mentioned
    442 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Apologies. I meant no disrespect.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)

You don't need to go to Arabia to see this, you can stay right at home in Pakistan where their most famous food street in Lahore is literally called....Food Street. This is actually a bug bear of mine which I have complained about before. It has to be the dumbest named street in the whole of Asia. We don't even have streets in England called Food Street.

I think it's not so bad for the Arabs as theirs is an artificial construct designed with westerners in mind so The Pearl actually makes more sense there regardless of it lacking taste.

But still don't get the renaming of Dragon fruit to lotus fruit unless it was actually called that in the first place.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dragon fruit sounds Chinese.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    It sounds English. If it was Chinese it would sound more like Na-wun ling cho shenzi.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by guna View Post
    Dragon fruit sounds Chinese.
    Hence the name change.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/drag...rupani-2355072

The Dragon Fruit will be renamed "Kamalam" in Gujarat as it is shaped like a lotus and the original name "is associated with China", Chief Minister Vijay Rupani said on Tuesday.
    "The state government has decided rename the Dragon Fruit. As the outer shape of the fruit resembles a lotus, hence Dragon Fruit shall be renamed as Kamalam," the Chief Minister was quoted by news agency ANI as saying.

"The name of Dragon Fruit associated with China and we have changed it," he added.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind the reasons behind this, the ongoing trolling on Twitter is hilarious though.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad that they're making the important decisions

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol this is all sanghis know, changing names! First it was cities, then railway stations and now alas they even renamed a fruit by what, their own party symbol!

Convenient!

Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yes well done, india going in the right direction, this is why the indian public voted them in for

Forget providing health, roti nokree, kapra n makaan for the poor Changing the name of a obscure fruit is more important

Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaz View Post
    Yes well done, india going in the right direction, this is why the indian public voted them in for

Forget providing health, roti nokree, kapra n makaan for the poor Changing the name of a obscure fruit is more important
    As usual, shooting from the hips. It will help bring an obscure and marginalized fruit into the mainstream, how is that not good?