Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Results 1 to 76 of 76
  1. #1
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    147,159
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

    [VIDEO] The elitism of the English speakers in Pakistan comes under fire



    A viral video of Islamabad's Cannoli by Cafe Soul owners has sparked a #BoyCottCannoli trend on social media websites including Twitter and Facebook.

    In the video, the owners can be seen making fun of a staff member for his English speaking skills. "So, this is our manager who has been with us for nine years. And this is the beautiful English he speaks. This is what we paid for... and a very good salary, mind you," the women can be heard saying.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  2. #2
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    25,400
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I wait for our resident PPer to support the women.

  3. #3
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    116
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ***. These people are still colonized in their minds. Pathetic. Speaking English doesn't automatically make you better in anyway. These women are snotty and the numbers are increasing day by day.

  4. #4
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    13,273
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The manager speaks broken English but the lack of intelligence shown by these ladies makes you wonder who the ignorant one is here?

    These ladies filmed themselves trying to humiliate their own employee, mentioned their business name and then posted it online. What kind of reaction were they expecting. They must be living on another planet to think this would benefit them in any way.

  5. #5
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,541
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Don't want to say much except that I seethe with anger when I see this breed. Respect to the manager, who may not know english well, but has a lot of dignity.

  6. #6
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    6,251
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And job there manager

  7. #7
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    13,315
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Again, people are reacting in the wrong way! They are cursing liberalism and feminism for this behavior. Pakistanis just need an excuse to badmouth women who speak for their rights.

  8. #8
    Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    28,768
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok they are making fun of him which is wrong, but I thought the point of the video is that they have hired this guy for 9 years as a manager even though he can’t speak English. Show that English isn’t a certificate for a good job? Or maybe I have misread this altogether

  9. #9
    Debut
    Sep 2011
    Runs
    2,047
    Mentioned
    101 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before Punjabi was considered the language of the economically backward and uneducated in Pakistan, now Urdu is going down the same route because elites have switched from Urdu to English.

  10. #10
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,674
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Ok they are making fun of him which is wrong, but I thought the point of the video is that they have hired this guy for 9 years as a manager even though he can’t speak English. Show that English isn’t a certificate for a good job? Or maybe I have misread this altogether
    Yeah but she didn’t sound like that it almost seemed like she was doing ehsaan..

  11. #11
    Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Ok they are making fun of him which is wrong, but I thought the point of the video is that they have hired this guy for 9 years as a manager even though he can’t speak English. Show that English isn’t a certificate for a good job? Or maybe I have misread this altogether
    No the point was to mock him that despite working for them his English wasn't fluent. Basically to say that he is so dumb that despite them investing money in him, he still can't speak English.

    @ Topic: To me it seems like they wanted to gain social media cred and for some reason thought this vile stunt would be a good idea but it seems like it has backfired big time on them. They have an issued an apology but its a pretty bad one lol.

  12. #12
    Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Again, people are reacting in the wrong way! They are cursing liberalism and feminism for this behavior. Pakistanis just need an excuse to badmouth women who speak for their rights.
    Well that's bad but what's your view on the topic? It seems strange that you completely skipped over the video/the incident and are more focused on the image of your political ideology.

  13. #13
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    31,698
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Why is it important for him to speak English? The cafe is in Pakistan not Canada, and if he's been working there for 9 years then it would suggest he knows his job very well. I think this video is made more for the two ladies own ego's they obviously feel their fluent English gives them some extra status so that is why they want to flaunt it on social media.

    For those of you who were embarrassed by the antics of the Bollywood wives, don't feel too bad, we have these wannabes in Pakistan as well!


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  14. #14
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    91,716
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Why is it important for him to speak English? The cafe is in Pakistan not Canada, and if he's been working there for 9 years then it would suggest he knows his job very well. I think this video is made more for the two ladies own ego's they obviously feel their fluent English gives them some extra status so that is why they want to flaunt it on social media.

    For those of you who were embarrassed by the antics of the Bollywood wives, don't feel too bad, we have these wannabes in Pakistan as well!
    There are a lot of foreigners in Islamabad and they regularly dine in these cafes. If the owners want or expect their manager to be fluent in English it is not a problem.

    It has nothing to do with colonial mindset or elitism; it is part of the job profile.

    However, there was no need for them to humiliate/embarrass him in this fashion. If they have provided coaching classes and he is still struggling, they need to look into the matter in a professional manner instead of making fun of him.

  15. #15
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    1,081
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MenInG View Post


    A viral video of Islamabad's Cannoli by Cafe Soul owners has sparked a #BoyCottCannoli trend on social media websites including Twitter and Facebook.

    In the video, the owners can be seen making fun of a staff member for his English speaking skills. "So, this is our manager who has been with us for nine years. And this is the beautiful English he speaks. This is what we paid for... and a very good salary, mind you," the women can be heard saying.

    "Hi, I am Uzma and this is Diya. We own Cannoli and WE WERE BOYS"??? WTH? lol.
    She wanted to say "We "Hire" boys?

    I dunno man,
    Seriously, that Diya person looked like a Khusra to begin with.

  16. #16
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Runs
    15,728
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Who are they to mock someones elses english?

    If you ask me a british born citizen, their english is very much less than perfect in the first place

  17. #17
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    27,674
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    "Hi, I am Uzma and this is Diya. We own Cannoli and WE WERE BOYS"??? WTH? lol.
    She wanted to say "We "Hire" boys?

    I dunno man,
    Seriously, that Diya person looked like a Khusra to begin with.
    I thought i misheard that lmao..

  18. #18
    Debut
    Jan 2005
    Runs
    18,137
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    "Hi, I am Uzma and this is Diya. We own Cannoli and WE WERE BOYS"??? WTH? lol.
    She wanted to say "We "Hire" boys?

    I dunno man,
    Seriously, that Diya person looked like a Khusra to begin with.
    They were trying to say "we were bored" but messed it up.

    Perhaps they need some English lessons as well.

  19. #19
    Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    44,848
    Mentioned
    2366 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

  20. #20
    Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is probably the worst apology in the history of apologies.


  21. #21
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    147,159
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The owners of the Islamabad restaurant, Cannoli by Cafe Soul, have shared a statement on Instagram in response to the public outrage over a video that went viral on social media.

    The video showed the owners mocking the restaurant manager for lacking in English language skills and was slammed by Twitter users.

    Read what happened: Islamabad cafe owners slammed for mocking staffer's English

    In their statement, the owners said they are "saddened" and "appalled" over the reaction the video gathered.

    "We are saddened and appalled by the reaction of the people, how they have misconstrued our banter with a team member," read the statement.

    The owners characterised their talk in the video as "gup shup" between a team, saying it was never intended to come across as "hurtful".

    "If anyone was hurt or offended we apologise, however that was never our intention," they said.

    The statement added that the owners are "not required" to prove anything or defend themselves as kind employers.

    "Our team has been with us for a decade, that should speak for itself," it read.

    "We are proud Pakistanis who love our language and our culture," the owners added.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  22. #22
    Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    4,318
    Mentioned
    753 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These dumb burgers are not going to change.

    I hope someone else hires that manager to end his misery.

  23. #23
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,825
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    These 2 women are typical case of Pakistan inferiority complex among some Pakistanis; thats right these women have inferiority complex which they try to hide by talking in English and demeaning anyone who does not speak English.

  24. #24
    Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    6,251
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They're butters anyway.

  25. #25
    Debut
    Nov 2018
    Runs
    346
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Helps me to understand desi genes no wonder a few Britishers had treated our forefathers like craap.

    “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”? Eleanor Roosevelt’s quote.

    We inherited stupid genes. No shame on that. These same people will be tongue-tied when speaking with a native speaker of English.

    The rich class is the problem of Pakistan. Anyway, his English is way better than that of Bilawal's Urdu. But no point in posting this personal banter with their manager online. No concept of privacy in Pakistani society anymore.
    Last edited by The Viper; 22nd January 2021 at 02:08.

  26. #26
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    31,698
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    There are a lot of foreigners in Islamabad and they regularly dine in these cafes. If the owners want or expect their manager to be fluent in English it is not a problem.

    It has nothing to do with colonial mindset or elitism; it is part of the job profile.

    However, there was no need for them to humiliate/embarrass him in this fashion. If they have provided coaching classes and he is still struggling, they need to look into the matter in a professional manner instead of making fun of him.
    He's been working there for 9 years, if his English was a problem don't you think they would have replaced him by now? They made fools of themselves in well spoken English, you don't need to go defensive on their behalf, they will learn from it Inshallah.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  27. #27
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,598
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    People in Pakistan should make an effort to learn English, it is a universal language. Even Indians make sure they know English and speak it well.

  28. #28
    Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    17,825
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy2018 View Post
    Helps me to understand desi genes no wonder a few Britishers had treated our forefathers like craap.

    “No one can make you feel inferior without your consent”? Eleanor Roosevelt’s quote.

    We inherited stupid genes. No shame on that. These same people will be tongue-tied when speaking with a native speaker of English.

    The rich class is the problem of Pakistan. Anyway, his English is way better than that of Bilawal's Urdu. But no point in posting this personal banter with their manager online. No concept of privacy in Pakistani society anymore.
    One time I went to Pakistan, met some neighbours, one neighbour start talking in English, it was funny he was talking in English and I was replying in Urdu, did not budge, finally he came back to Urdu

  29. #29
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    1,081
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyboy2018 View Post

    We inherited stupid genes. No shame on that. These same people will be tongue-tied when speaking with a native speaker of English.
    lol haha so true!

    And then, when they visit an English speaking country, many at times they get profiled at the airport due to their Pakistani passport or sheer looks, and they are made to go through extra security checkup lines.

    Seriously, such people remind of those classical sayings.

    Kavva Chala Hans ki chaal, Apni bhi bhool gaya.
    or
    Dhobi ka kutta, na ghar ka na ghaat.


    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    People in Pakistan should make an effort to learn English, it is a universal language. Even Indians make sure they know English and speak it well.

    There is a delicate line here.

    Yes Indeed!
    We MUST learn to communicate in English, but NOT because this will make us look modern, or it will help us feel better, or it will increase our status quo, or we will be able to act like burgers etc

    Learning English is our need because most of the modern day knowledge and latest research is published in English. And in order to update our own scientific academia etc, we must be able to read and understand the latest research papers and scientific exploration from the first world, and introduce it into our own academia.

    If we don't do that, then we need to have our govt, set up a service where all modern day knowledge is translated into Urdu so that we can update ourselves in Pakistan - which is not very likely to happen.

    So yes, English must be learned so that we keep ourselves updated with modern knowledge and research which is always evolving and updating itself.

  30. #30
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    1,081
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    One time I went to Pakistan, met some neighbours, one neighbour start talking in English, it was funny he was talking in English and I was replying in Urdu, did not budge, finally he came back to Urdu
    Long time ago, I met a Pakistani student at a University dorm in Europe. He had been living there for 5 odd years or something.

    Believe it or not, he told me that, he had been living in Europe for so long that he had forgotten ALL Urdu, so he can only communicate in English or native language of the country we were in.

    I replied back with a few mom sister cusses in a classical Punjabi accent.

    This got his face all red and he asked in an upset tone as to why was I cussing at him?

    I replied back with a couple more of really crude cusses by saying, you said you forgot it all?

    All of a sudden all his Urdu and Punjabi came back, and he started cussing back in Urdu and Punjabi.

    There were few other Pakistani guys there, and we were all laughing our rear ends off.

  31. #31
    Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    N/A
    Runs
    9,408
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    "Hi, I am Uzma and this is Diya. We own Cannoli and WE WERE BOYS"??? WTH? lol.
    She wanted to say "We "Hire" boys?

    I dunno man,
    Seriously, that Diya person looked like a Khusra to begin with.
    bored. I think you need English lessons as well or at least a hearing aid




    Sua cuique voluptas.

  32. #32
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,541
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post
    bored. I think you need English lessons as well or at least a hearing aid
    Ever since i realized the elitism of these english speaking snobs, i don't follow grammar or punctuation rules when typing, and when someone tries to correct my pronunctiation i tell them that that there is no single correct way. language correction is just one of these elites way to show power of us, i never give them this power.

  33. #33
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    3,083
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CricketCartoons View Post
    Ever since i realized the elitism of these english speaking snobs, i don't follow grammar or punctuation rules when typing, and when someone tries to correct my pronunctiation i tell them that that there is no single correct way. language correction is just one of these elites way to show power of us, i never give them this power.
    Yep grammar nazis are the worst as said by my English teacher

  34. #34
    Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)



    Seems like Imran Khan was talking about this incident.

  35. #35
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    13,315
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Generico View Post



    Seems like Imran Khan was talking about this incident.
    This guy just wants a chance to show that he is the biggest patriot and the best Muslim. He is only fit for talking about trivial issues such as Erugral kay goray ki nasal, zaytoon kay baagh, jub humnay Spain pay halumat ki, barti hui fahashi aur talaaq!

    He should be the last person talking about respect given his recent and past!

  36. #36
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    91,716
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    He's been working there for 9 years, if his English was a problem don't you think they would have replaced him by now? They made fools of themselves in well spoken English, you don't need to go defensive on their behalf, they will learn from it Inshallah.
    Maybe his lack of proficiency in English has been a problem recently. We don’t know the context behind it etc.

    It is not for people to speculate and decide. The bottom-line is that it is not wrong for the owners to expect or demand their manager to be proficient in English.

    The real issue here is that they were completely wrong to mock him in this fashion and also film him. It was completely inappropriate and unprofessional.

    However, social media activities are barking up the wrong tree as usual. They are more focused on the perceived colonial mentality (while writing in English themselves) rather than the fact that they should not have humiliated him.

    There is absolutely nothing wrong in ensuring that their manager is proficient in English. There is everything wrong in the way they have gone about it.

  37. #37
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    91,716
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    This guy just wants a chance to show that he is the biggest patriot and the best Muslim. He is only fit for talking about trivial issues such as Erugral kay goray ki nasal, zaytoon kay baagh, jub humnay Spain pay halumat ki, barti hui fahashi aur talaaq!

    He should be the last person talking about respect given his recent and past!
    His hypocrisy is off the charts. He is the last person on earth who should be talking about these issues considering the lifestyle he had in his youth.

  38. #38
    Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    His hypocrisy is off the charts. He is the last person on earth who should be talking about these issues considering the lifestyle he had in his youth.
    People are allowed to change aren’t they? Anyways regardless of his past lifestyle, Did he publicly mock or bully anyone? What part of his statement is hypocritical?

  39. #39
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    13,315
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As I have said before, Pakistanis have reacted wrongly to this incident.

    I see people saying that we should reject English language and promote our own languages. I also see people saying this whole incident is a result of growing evil Western influences. I see some calling them ‘Mera Jism Meri Marzi wali auntiyaan.’ There is nothing wrong in learning and speaking English.

    Kasam say, kuch nahin ho sakta iss awaam ka!

  40. #40
    Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    America
    Runs
    1,401
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    As I have said before, Pakistanis have reacted wrongly to this incident.

    I see people saying that we should reject English language and promote our own languages. I also see people saying this whole incident is a result of growing evil Western influences. I see some calling them ‘Mera Jism Meri Marzi wali auntiyaan.’ There is nothing wrong in learning and speaking English.

    Kasam say, kuch nahin ho sakta iss awaam ka!
    It's not just Pakistanis, go on reddit or twitter - most western people are calling them Karens as we don't like snobs and people that perpetuate classism. People in the west root for the underdog, I don't know if it's different for the Indian community in Chong Kong

  41. #41
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    91,716
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Generico View Post
    People are allowed to change aren’t they? Anyways regardless of his past lifestyle, Did he publicly mock or bully anyone? What part of his statement is hypocritical?
    It is interesting how people always “change” when the timing is convenient. I have never seen anyone “change” at the height of his career.

    How come this change didn’t happen for Imran in the 1980s when he was a party animal? It only happened for him when he retired from cricket and decided to become a politician, and knew that this old lifestyle will handicap his chances of political success in Pakistan and thus he had to change his image.

    Similarly, Junaid Jamshed also “changed” when his singing career was going downhill, and the timing was convenient to jump to the other side of the fence.

    Junaid Jamshed didn’t change when Vital Signs was at the peak of his powers and he was a national heartthrob.

    It might sound like I am doubting intentions here, but I am always fascinated by the convenient timing. Perhaps it is God’s mercy.

    He ensures that you can enjoy the best of both worlds and turns you towards Him when you have enjoyed the vices of the world to your heart’s content.

    As far as Imran is concerned, I am not talking about this particular context of mocking/insulting anyone for not speaking proper English, but I am talking about his general tendency to speak about cultural values etc. which he does very often these days.

    He should be the last person on earth to give anyone lectures on culture, religion, family values etc. he and his supporters may have whitewashed his past but the world remembers.

  42. #42
    Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    3,083
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is interesting how people always “change” when the timing is convenient. I have never seen anyone “change” at the height of his career.

    How come this change didn’t happen for Imran in the 1980s when he was a party animal? It only happened for him when he retired from cricket and decided to become a politician, and knew that this old lifestyle will handicap his chances of political success in Pakistan and thus he had to change his image.

    Similarly, Junaid Jamshed also “changed” when his singing career was going downhill, and the timing was convenient to jump to the other side of the fence.

    Junaid Jamshed didn’t change when Vital Signs was at the peak of his powers and he was a national heartthrob.

    It might sound like I am doubting intentions here, but I am always fascinated by the convenient timing. Perhaps it is God’s mercy.

    He ensures that you can enjoy the best of both worlds and turns you towards Him when you have enjoyed the vices of the world to your heart’s content.

    As far as Imran is concerned, I am not talking about this particular context of mocking/insulting anyone for not speaking proper English, but I am talking about his general tendency to speak about cultural values etc. which he does very often these days.

    He should be the last person on earth to give anyone lectures on culture, religion, family values etc. he and his supporters may have whitewashed his past but the world remembers.
    JJ left over a 1 core rp record deal on the table according to JJ it was one of the biggest record deals of his career considering the amount of work he had to do

    So it wasn't that convient he was still at the peak of his career (although in hindsight we know that his career would have wind down after 2-3 years because terrorism and the piracy problem)

    So drag IK all you want but my boy JJ was a legend and still could have made decent amount of money

  43. #43
    Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    7,239
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pure cringe from the ladies!

  44. #44
    Debut
    Nov 2014
    Runs
    2,002
    Mentioned
    353 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They need to attend some marketing and PR classes instead of worrying about language, brilliant way to alienate your customer base, hope this does go viral and their business suffers as a result, ridiculous gup shuup humiliating the poor guy.

  45. #45
    Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    6,084
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite apt that they own a burger joint.

  46. #46
    Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    25,400
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I see the usual suspects are defending the owners..hahaha..cmon guys can you not see through these trolls yet??

  47. #47
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    1,081
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uberkoen View Post
    bored. I think you need English lessons as well or at least a hearing aid
    lol, seriously man, I do.
    Me and a couple of other PPers heard the same when we heard it for the first time.
    “We were bored” vs “We hire boys”. lol that’s way off.

  48. #48
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    1,081
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    It is interesting how people always “change” when the timing is convenient. I have never seen anyone “change” at the height of his career.

    How come this change didn’t happen for Imran in the 1980s when he was a party animal? It only happened for him when he retired from cricket and decided to become a politician, and knew that this old lifestyle will handicap his chances of political success in Pakistan and thus he had to change his image.


    Similarly, Junaid Jamshed also “changed” when his singing career was going downhill, and the timing was convenient to jump to the other side of the fence.

    Junaid Jamshed didn’t change when Vital Signs was at the peak of his powers and he was a national heartthrob.


    It might sound like I am doubting intentions here, but I am always fascinated by the convenient timing. Perhaps it is God’s mercy.

    He ensures that you can enjoy the best of both worlds and turns you towards Him when you have enjoyed the vices of the world to your heart’s content.

    As far as Imran is concerned, I am not talking about this particular context of mocking/insulting anyone for not speaking proper English, but I am talking about his general tendency to speak about cultural values etc. which he does very often these days.

    He should be the last person on earth to give anyone lectures on culture, religion, family values etc. he and his supporters may have whitewashed his past but the world remembers.
    Come on man!
    That’s tasteless and pathetic.

    I would avoid demeaning a dead person.

    And fact of the matter is, we all have different phases in life. We learn from experiences over the time, we grow and adjust our priorities.

    No one is born a saint.

    Take yourself for example,
    Didn’t you want to have a pet tiger because you were scared of a pet dog that your brother had?

    Is it still the same feeling and same priority or has it changed?

  49. #49
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    38,371
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    People in Pakistan should make an effort to learn English, it is a universal language. Even Indians make sure they know English and speak it well.
    Plenty do, I try to speak in the local language when in Pakistan. However many spot it's not my home language and reply to me in English. You cant expect them to be fluent but they know enough to get by.

    The same for the manager, he knows enough to get by, there was no need to humiliate him like they did.

    However its not the biggest crime in Pakistan, there is no need to target the women as many have done on social media. They are doing exactly what they accuse them of.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  50. #50
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Venue
    Planet Afridi
    Runs
    12,426
    Mentioned
    958 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    P pathetic. Making fun of your own countrymen not knowing how to speak a foreign language. Think of how insane that sounds. How insecure you have to be to feel good about yourself and others based on a language you have no connection to. I hope the guy is okay, this can be a confidence shattering thing. Hope he realizes not everyone in the world is this ignorant and obnoxious.

    Speaking 2 languages is a feat in itself. Most natural born English speakers in the US and I’m guessing Australia, NZ, Canada and England (whose parents don’t speak a different language either) only know English, correct me if I’m wrong.
    Last edited by Suleiman; 23rd January 2021 at 01:57.

  51. #51
    Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    15,010
    Mentioned
    736 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I remember I when into a fancy store in Pakistan.

    Naturally, I went to ask the lady a question in Urdu.

    But the girls with me got embarrassed and said to speak English.

    Weird.

  52. #52
    Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    37,598
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    When you work for multi national companies or work in the West i.e. Canada, US, UK, Australia, employers demand you know English. I guarantee you that if our entire population knew English, it would create tremendous employment and business opportunities for them.

    People need to get over their inferiority complex when people demand that you learn how to speak, write, communicate in a universal language i.e. English. In fact i would demand Pakistani's to learn multiple universal languages, many high profile businessmen and executives who work in multiple countries make a solid conscious effort to learn different languages because trust me it makes a big difference when making connections with people, networking opportunities.

    Sadly our people go on the defensive instead of looking at the bigger picture

  53. #53
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    38,371
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    When you work for multi national companies or work in the West i.e. Canada, US, UK, Australia, employers demand you know English. I guarantee you that if our entire population knew English, it would create tremendous employment and business opportunities for them.

    People need to get over their inferiority complex when people demand that you learn how to speak, write, communicate in a universal language i.e. English. In fact i would demand Pakistani's to learn multiple universal languages, many high profile businessmen and executives who work in multiple countries make a solid conscious effort to learn different languages because trust me it makes a big difference when making connections with people, networking opportunities.

    Sadly our people go on the defensive instead of looking at the bigger picture
    Im sure almost all Pakistanis want to learn English and even many Mandarin. But you are missing education isnt free, millions arent lucky enough to even go to school to learn Urdu. You cant run before you learn to walk.


    Lions don't lose sleep over the opinions of Sheep

  54. #54
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    3,572
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Again, people are reacting in the wrong way! They are cursing liberalism and feminism for this behavior. Pakistanis just need an excuse to badmouth women who speak for their rights.
    All the feminists and you are part of the problem,video is about something else and you came here with your false narrative and feminism. Your views on actual video?

    BTW you can defend your liberism and feminism in some other thread #himtoo

    Now back to the video, shameful and cheap behaviour by those aunties, more power to the man who is earning Rizq e halal Alhamdullilah...

  55. #55
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    13,315
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryw View Post
    All the feminists and you are part of the problem,video is about something else and you came here with your false narrative and feminism. Your views on actual video?

    BTW you can defend your liberism and feminism in some other thread #himtoo

    Now back to the video, shameful and cheap behaviour by those aunties, more power to the man who is earning Rizq e halal Alhamdullilah...
    Maybe you have been living under a rock. Please go to social media how Pakistanis are reacting to this incident! Which false narrative you taking about?

  56. #56
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,541
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Maybe you have been living under a rock. Please go to social media how Pakistanis are reacting to this incident! Which false narrative you taking about?
    Maybe you don't know the liberal maxim: It is not bigotry to be a bigot to a bigot. When someone displays such open bigotry, then it is fair to make the person taste any or all flavours from racism, misogyny, homophobia, xenophobia, or religious hatred.

    Let the bigot know how it feels like.

  57. #57
    Debut
    Jan 2010
    Runs
    1,407
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pakistani elites are cringe worthy in their mental servitude. I’ve seen examples of them treating their domestic servants, service industry people as sub human.
    They language they speak can best be described as a pidgin- half English / half Urdu. They are not very proficient in either.

  58. #58
    Debut
    May 2018
    Runs
    1,512
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    Maybe you have been living under a rock. Please go to social media how Pakistanis are reacting to this incident! Which false narrative you taking about?
    No offence but you have been asked what your views are on this video a couple of times but you keep skipping over that question while bringing in irrelevant stuff based on a few stray comments. Majority of the social media comments I have seen have attacked elitism, I have literally only seen a couple of post that linked this to feminism.

    Anyways I am not saying you support the actions in the video but you seem to be going the extra mile to derail this thread while not saying even a single word on the actual incident.

  59. #59
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Hong Kong
    Runs
    13,315
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Generico View Post
    No offence but you have been asked what your views are on this video a couple of times but you keep skipping over that question while bringing in irrelevant stuff based on a few stray comments. Majority of the social media comments I have seen have attacked elitism, I have literally only seen a couple of post that linked this to feminism.

    Anyways I am not saying you support the actions in the video but you seem to be going the extra mile to derail this thread while not saying even a single word on the actual incident.
    There is no doubt that such a behaviour is condemnable. I do not think anybody would condone such behavior.

  60. #60
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    147,159
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    In response to a video of two restaurant owners mocking their employee for his English language skills, two content writers in Islamabad have announced an Urdu mushaira (poetry recital).

    Fittingly, the event will be held outside the place where the unfortunate incident took place — the restaurant Cannoli by Cafe Soul in Islamabad — on Saturday, January 23.

    So far 11,000 people have responded to the invitation, with 1,600 indicating they are going and 9,400 saying they are interested.

    The event's guidelines have been stated as follows:

    “IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENTZ:

    1.) All Shayrs has 2 b in punjabi or urdu.

    2.) Most criative shayar wins Jalahowapenus BURGER

    3.) NO gup shup or banter against restoraan ownrse

    5.) Siraikiz NOT allowedz

    6.) Free entries 4 beeconhoes studantz?!

    7.) NO Ahmed Faraz sasti shayri

    8.) Studie whole Wren nd Martin English graamer bookz for suprise english quiz

    9.) Alcohol, Drugs and JF-17 Thunder Naswar is strictly prohitbited. (only for sale incide restoraan)”

    The incident

    A day earlier, a video showing the owners mocking the restaurant manager for lacking in English language skills went viral on social media where it was slammed by nearly all who viewed it.

    A statement was released by the owners in response, saying they are "saddened" over the reaction to the video.

    "We are saddened and appalled by the reaction of the people, how they have misconstrued our banter with a team member," read a statement by the owners on Instagram.

    #BoycottCannoli: Islamabad restaurant owners say they are 'appalled' at reaction over video

    The owners characterised their talk in the video as "gup shup" between a team, saying it was never intended to come across as "hurtful".

    They went on to say they are "not required" to prove anything or defend themselves as kind employers.


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  61. #61
    Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    South Korea
    Runs
    2,052
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Manager should have been fired & asked to pay all the expenses on his coaching classes. His non serious & unprofessional attitude is risking their entire business.


    Serious Sport has nothing to do with fair play... it is war minus the shooting.

  62. #62
    Debut
    May 2015
    Venue
    The Capital Wasteland
    Runs
    21,484
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I’m with @Mamoon here. This isn’t a language issue. It’s a respect and behaviour issue


    Hard to get a handle on this double edged sword

  63. #63
    Debut
    Mar 2014
    Runs
    14,541
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What is a Jalahowapenus Burger, which is the first prize for shayars?

  64. #64
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    31,698
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    When you work for multi national companies or work in the West i.e. Canada, US, UK, Australia, employers demand you know English. I guarantee you that if our entire population knew English, it would create tremendous employment and business opportunities for them.

    People need to get over their inferiority complex when people demand that you learn how to speak, write, communicate in a universal language i.e. English. In fact i would demand Pakistani's to learn multiple universal languages, many high profile businessmen and executives who work in multiple countries make a solid conscious effort to learn different languages because trust me it makes a big difference when making connections with people, networking opportunities.

    Sadly our people go on the defensive instead of looking at the bigger picture
    You are going off topic to make a totally irrelevant point. I have also said in quite a few previous posts that learning English is a must for all countries of the world, but if that was a requirement for this cafe in Islamabad, why is this man still the manager after 9 years? Don't you think the owners would be treating this a lot more seriously if it was a real issue?

    Not really sure why you don't understand this and are getting defensive over the English high society girls.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  65. #65
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    31,698
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aqeelPK View Post
    Manager should have been fired & asked to pay all the expenses on his coaching classes. His non serious & unprofessional attitude is risking their entire business.
    So the fault is with the English girls is it not?


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  66. #66
    Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    147,159
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)


    For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

  67. #67
    Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    3,572
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by saeedhk View Post
    I really hope that Pakistanis protest on important issues. I am yet to receive any major protests against rape, child sexual abuse, illiteracy, minority rights, child labor or domestic violence. Our priorities are wrong!

    Our roads are empty when a Hindu girl is kidnapped and rape, or when a 5 year old is burned after being rape!
    Slowly and studiely you managed to brought same old tactics in the thread rapes abuse domestic violence nonsence etc. The liberals and feminists are feeding you with false stats, its a money making industry to gain fundings.

    http://www.angryharry.com/Truth-Abou...GQTPpiUD1gVAxo

    I really hope you see the difference

    https://themalefactor.com/2020/05/31...lence-exposed/

    Your response on OP s video was a one liner, lets assume if we reverse genders in that video, you would have written a long essay on it to throw your false biased narrative which is being fed to you and all liberals and feminists lately in society. Pakistani are rightly protesting and reacting to the video. Mashallah more power to the innocent man who is earning Rizq e Halal Alhamdullilah and btw I am not living under a rock... #himtoo #justice

  68. #68
    Debut
    Sep 2016
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    7,032
    Mentioned
    476 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Not a huge surprise that many desis (or South Asians if you prefer) have an inferiority complex and a corresponding superiority complex if they can somehow associated themselves with the English (as can also been seen in one particular poster to this forum).

    Maybe seeing a desi team with players who don't speak good English beat the Aussies by sheer grit, determination and courage will help desis get over their inferiority/superiority complex
    Last edited by Napa; 24th January 2021 at 03:45.

  69. #69
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    2,271
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by El Generico View Post



    Seems like Imran Khan was talking about this incident.
    Completely agree with Imran Khan. However he used 3 English words in that 20 second clip.

    He could have used izzat, itiraaz, jumla instead of respect, objection, phrase.

  70. #70
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    2,271
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    When you work for multi national companies or work in the West i.e. Canada, US, UK, Australia, employers demand you know English. I guarantee you that if our entire population knew English, it would create tremendous employment and business opportunities for them.

    People need to get over their inferiority complex when people demand that you learn how to speak, write, communicate in a universal language i.e. English. In fact i would demand Pakistani's to learn multiple universal languages, many high profile businessmen and executives who work in multiple countries make a solid conscious effort to learn different languages because trust me it makes a big difference when making connections with people, networking opportunities.

    Sadly our people go on the defensive instead of looking at the bigger picture
    The guy is working at a cafe, not in a MNC. His English is good enough for the small amount of non Pakistani foreigners who would go there.

  71. #71
    Debut
    Dec 2019
    Runs
    1,081
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Completely agree with Imran Khan. However he used 3 English words in that 20 second clip.

    He could have used izzat, itiraaz, jumla instead of respect, objection, phrase.
    While we are at nitpicking, you also missed another English word that he spoke.
    See, how it bites back?

  72. #72
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    31,698
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Completely agree with Imran Khan. However he used 3 English words in that 20 second clip.

    He could have used izzat, itiraaz, jumla instead of respect, objection, phrase.
    Imran spent his formative years in England, not sure about this, but I think he might have said he even thinks in English. When you are studying at Oxford then it must work it's way into the psyche regardless. Nothing wrong with this, culturally he is still 100% Pakistani, and his nickname Taliban Khan foisted upon him by the liberal English speaking elite is testament to that.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  73. #73
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    2,271
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorblind Genius View Post
    While we are at nitpicking, you also missed another English word that he spoke.
    See, how it bites back?
    You are right, I missed the 4th one.

    But the thing is he lecturing everyone on speaking Urdu and not English, and he uses 4 English words, for which there are very common Urdu words available. Does not seem a good look.

  74. #74
    Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    2,271
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Imran spent his formative years in England, not sure about this, but I think he might have said he even thinks in English. When you are studying at Oxford then it must work it's way into the psyche regardless. Nothing wrong with this, culturally he is still 100% Pakistani, and his nickname Taliban Khan foisted upon him by the liberal English speaking elite is testament to that.
    Its not just Imran, entire Pakistan upper middle class and elite, and a good deal of middle class, when they speak, they use a mix of Urdu and English. This includes Pakistanis who have never left the country.

  75. #75
    Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    31,698
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Its not just Imran, entire Pakistan upper middle class and elite, and a good deal of middle class, when they speak, they use a mix of Urdu and English. This includes Pakistanis who have never left the country.
    Being Pakistani is not just about language it is also about strength of character and fortitude. So from this angle we can see Ertugrul Bey is far more Pakistani than Bilawal Bhutto who is leader of one of Pakistan's oldest political parties. Although Billo is probably not the best example given he can barely speak Urdu himself.

    That is the real crime of these burger joint burger girls. Speaking English is not a crime, but they failed to show the grace and professionalism of the employee they were trying to mock publicly.


    I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

  76. #76
    Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    2,260
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Its not just Imran, entire Pakistan upper middle class and elite, and a good deal of middle class, when they speak, they use a mix of Urdu and English. This includes Pakistanis who have never left the country.
    A majority of Islamabads population (Atleast the middle class and above) speak a mixture of English and urdu


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •