Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will the broadcasting of PSL in India on SONY increase its viewership and following?

I know it was there on DSPORT, but it was just another channel.

With Sony(who telecasted IPL for 10 years), a premium channel, itíll increase the quality and the viewership of PSL.

Indians are crazy for cricket and I am sure many will tune in as compared to when it was on DSPORT. Hardly anyone even knew that PSL was going on

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will have greater coverage for sure. But whether they will have a great following is hard to say. I'm not sure how many people even follow T20 leagues outside of the IPL in India. Does the CPL have a great following in India? I don't think so.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Indian sponsors/companies may want to invest in PSL now.

Also foreign companies who want to make a buck from the Indian market will be easier to tap into. This is better than the Sky sports deal I recon

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TNAmarkFromIndia View Post
    They will have greater coverage for sure. But whether they will have a great following is hard to say. I'm not sure how many people even follow T20 leagues outside of the IPL in India. Does the CPL have a great following in India? I don't think so.

Great coverage only time will tell. But itíll at least double the viewership than what it was on some ďDSPORTĒ

With that improvement in the sponsorship as India is a huge market

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can already see companies who want to target the Indian market using this opportunity to sponsor PSL/ teams

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Babar_Azam_fan View Post
    Great coverage only time will tell. But it’ll at least double the viewership than what it was on some “DSPORT”

With that improvement in the sponsorship as India is a huge market
    I've never played fantasy sports but maybe that could be how more people get into Pakistan cricket. Fans making their own XI for Pakistan's series. Lot of people are into it in India.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Viewership from India alone will outnumber the total viewership from other countries, excluding Pakistan

That in itself is a huge number and a good achievement

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never played fantasy sports but maybe that could be how more people get into Pakistan cricket. Fans making their own XI for Pakistan's series. Lot of people are into it in India.

Lol true. My friend(Indian) was into it. I follow Pakistan cricket and he doesnít know anything about Pak players, but heíd ask me about Pak players which to select whenever thereís a Pakistan series, to make his fantasy teams

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great coverage only time will tell. But it’ll at least double the viewership than what it was on some “DSPORT”
    DSPORT is a good channel with decent coverage. They broadcast the Nidahas Trophy which got huge numbers. Not sure why you're talking bad about them.

If people are interested, they will watch. If not, it doesn't matter if you're on a bigger channel.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Initially it'll increase. But soon people will just realize it's a poor rip off of IPL and viewership will decline.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakistan should try to sign Indian legends as mentors or coaches of PSL teams. For instance I would even take Munaf Patel as the bowling coach of a franchise because I think the guy understands bowling really well.

Someone like Balaji would also be a huge hit if he works for Islamabad United or Lahore Qalandars. He was a fan favourite in the 2004 series.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    Pakistan should try to sign Indian legends as mentors or coaches of PSL teams. For instance I would even take Munaf Patel as the bowling coach of a franchise because I think the guy understands bowling really well.

Someone like Balaji would also be a huge hit if he works for Islamabad United or Lahore Qalandars. He was a fan favourite in the 2004 series.
    Not possible in reality. There will be huge backslash and no one wants THAT drama unless there's rediculous amount of money involved which none of the franchisee could offer I am afraid.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DSPORT is a good channel with decent coverage. They broadcast the Nidahas Trophy which got huge numbers. Not sure why you're talking bad about them.

If people are interested, they will watch. If not, it doesn't matter if you're on a bigger channel.

Itís an okay channel. It got huge numbers for Nidahas trophy coz it was INDIA playing. Heck if India plays on Doordarshan with 80s picture quality , itíll still get huge numbers. So u canít compare nidahas to PSL

And about channel, DSPORT might be an okay channel but when it comes to Sony itís no where close to it. Absolutely no comparison between the two

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Indian sponsors/companies may want to invest in PSL now.

Also foreign companies who want to make a buck from the Indian market will be easier to tap into. This is better than the Sky sports deal I recon
    IF Indian public watches PSL.

India vs England series will be ON then, so expect the fans to be glued there.

March is a time when India hosts international cricket, so PSL in all likelihood may not get that much viewership.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    IF Indian public watches PSL.

India vs England series will be ON then, so expect the fans to be glued there.

March is a time when India hosts international cricket, so PSL in all likelihood may not get that much viewership.
    I think it should be evening time in India when the PSL matches happen? Especially the day/night ones?

"The Indian bowling attack is as devastating as the Teletubbies"- Sir Ian Botham

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bro be realistic, there homes would be gone before they even fly to Pakistan

I am also not sure how long SONY can show PSL. One attack and theyíll stop the broadcast

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The broadcasting of PSL was horrible till this point imo. Last time I checked, even APL looked better polished product than PSL.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't think too many in India watch the PSL but yeah....even a tiny fraction of em makes up huge numbers so surely a great thing for the overall popularity of the league. D-sport lost it's short-lived relevance after the Nidahas trophy.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I think it should be evening time in India when the PSL matches happen? Especially the day/night ones?
    It would be. But Day night ODIs abd T20Is are scheduled with England at that time.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of Indians watch BBL, CPL for time pass. I guess same will happen for PSL . So definitely some good viewership from India

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Bro be realistic, there homes would be gone before they even fly to Pakistan

I am also not sure how long SONY can show PSL. One attack and theyíll stop the broadcast
    Wrong assumption. As long as they stick to their jobs only and dont try to be political ambassadors, they will be fine.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    The broadcasting of PSL was horrible till this point imo. Last time I checked, even APL looked better polished product than PSL.
    Yeah god awful. Even LPL looked better than that.

Picture quality was okayish but the camera work and Sound were dreadful.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s an okay channel. It got huge numbers for Nidahas trophy coz it was INDIA playing.
    The point was that one can get big numbers on DSPORT if there is interest.

Heck if India plays on Doordarshan with 80s picture quality , it’ll still get huge numbers.
    Not sure what your point is. Everyone gets Doordarshan in India so everyone can watch.

And about channel, DSPORT might be an okay channel but when it comes to Sony it’s no where close to it. Absolutely no comparison between the two
    Not necessarily. Sometimes it's good to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond. Sony having a multitude of sports properties might not give PSL as much promotion on their networks as maybe DSPORT would've done. Lot of sporting properties on Sony have failed. They are poor with marketing their properties compared to Star.

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketjoshila View Post
    Wrong assumption. As long as they stick to their jobs only and dont try to be political ambassadors, they will be fine.

May be youíre assuming wrong. Especially if heís a Muslim, heíd be called anti national already

I myself wouldnít go if I were in their position.

Saying of houses being gone was just an exaggeration. Itís not 90s anymore. But u get what I mean

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Not trying to be arrogant like some of my fellow indian fans like joshila here are but saying things like nobody watches Pakistan's Pjyama League in India is quite funny. These are the same fans who talk about demand and supply and how channels are willing to pay so much money to have IPL on their channel. Why will a big and reputed channel like Sony invest in a league like PSL without any demand and viewership data? May be they are targeting muslim population of India which isn't that small?

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhaag Viru Bhaag View Post
    Not trying to be arrogant like some of my fellow indian fans like joshila here are but saying things like nobody watches Pakistan's Pjyama League in India is quite funny. These are the same fans who talk about demand and supply and how channels are willing to pay so much money to have IPL on their channel. Why will a big and reputed channel like Sony invest in a league like PSL without any demand and viewership data? May be they are targeting muslim population of India which isn't that small?
    The novelty factor wears out unless there's some other form of attachment. If PSL was branded as Pakistan Muslim cricket league, you may have a point.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    May be youíre assuming wrong. Especially if heís a Muslim, heíd be called anti national already

I myself wouldnít go if I were in their position.

Saying of houses being gone was just an exaggeration. Itís not 90s anymore. But u get what I mean
    Again wrong assumption. You do your job, dont try to be political, thats it.

When Imran became PM, Gavaskar wrote a letter wishing him luck and praising him, he is doing fine.

The moment you become political then you open yourself up for criticism.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    The novelty factor wears out unless there's some other form of attachment. If PSL was branded as Pakistan Muslim cricket league, you may have a point.
    A sports channel will show sports, esp if it has lost IPL rights, ICC rights and Indian cricket rights to its rival. They will try to get whatever cricket rights they can.

PSL doesn't even get much mention in print media.

If you get some cricketing rights for small amount of money, you will buy it as you have empty inventory to fill up.
    Last edited by cricketjoshila; 24th January 2021 at 15:39.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1846 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    I wonder if muslims in India will be interested in watching a Siraj and Shami versus England or some domestic pakistan bowler bowling to domestic pakistani batsman.

If PSL had a quality international contingent, it could get the viewership.

The Pak vs SA series will have some viewership, no doubt.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    753 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indians are a patriotic bunch. I doubt they will follow PSL.

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    Lots of Indians watch BBL, CPL for time pass.
    I really doubt that .. a lot of these t20 leagues is the same players in diff clothing, same commentators .. all
    gets repetitive and tiresome after a while.

John 3:16

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are 2 reasons why anyone would watch a foreign league -

1) To see how his home country players are performing.

2) To watch global international superstars.

PSL unfortunately dont have either. No Indians play there and there are not enough international stars to attract audience.

For a Pakistani fan, there are enough reason to watch IPL even though their own players are not playing. They can see world class players like Smith, Williamson, Butler, Cummins, Shakib etc. performing against each other.

There are enough reasons for them to watch BBL, CPL, BPL, SLPL as well as they can see how their own players performing.

But for Indian fans the only incentive to watch a foreign league is to see international stars. PSL need to increase its global superstar counts to attract more viewership. Good that stars like Rashid Khan will play this year which would help the cause a bit.

Dont take me wrong, Indians would still watch PSL if it is on tele.

But would there be a big following? Nope.

Would they sacrifice their regular shows to watch PSL? Dont think so. Come 9.30PM and every remote will switch it to Big Boss.

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    528 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    This is a good move by the PSL. Tons of Indians will tune in for sure.

I mean, even when Bangladesh and Afghanistan faced off in a T20 series in Dehradun, the stadiums were full for all 3 games.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Indians love their cricket and I'm sure they'll watch it IF the standard of cricket is decent and the broadcast is professional.

At the moment the PSL is amateur in terms of broadcast - from the studio presentation, to the commentary, to post match presentations and post match analysis. Huge improvements are needed.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I won't, but chances are a fair few Indians my tune in especially if its on a channel that one already subscribes to (so you don't pay extra just to see it).

There may be another unanticipated impact- there's crazy betting in India during the IPL, which may translate into a flip for betting on the PSL, hence viewership.

Note: That previous statement does NOT imply that the PSL or IPL is fixed, just that massive illegal betting already happens on the latter, and a bunch of folk watch just to punt. Same may happen for the PSL.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good move. Even if 1% of IPL watchers follow Pak League it will be a huge bonus for it.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Deal done.

Sony Pictures Networks India has acquired the broadcast rights of Pakistan Cricket Board and will air all of Pakistan's home series and the Pakistan Super League for the next 3 years in India

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    290 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Excellent news btw

Looks like the Pak-England, Pak-NZ and Pak-Aus home series are all likely to go ahead. Good cricket on view

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Deal done.

Sony Pictures Networks India has acquired the broadcast rights of Pakistan Cricket Board and will air all of Pakistan's home series and the Pakistan Super League for the next 3 years in India

Home series too? It's going to be tough for Sony to handle their scheduling now.

They already have...

Australian home games + BBL
    England home games + T20 Blast + RL cup
    West Indies home games
    Sri Lankan home games + LPL
    Zimbabwe+Ireland home games

And then all these other leagues like T10, GT20 Canada, Mzansi League....

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rajdeep View Post
    There are 2 reasons why anyone would watch a foreign league -

1) To see how his home country players are performing.

2) To watch global international superstars.

PSL unfortunately dont have either. No Indians play there and there are not enough international stars to attract audience.

For a Pakistani fan, there are enough reason to watch IPL even though their own players are not playing. They can see world class players like Smith, Williamson, Butler, Cummins, Shakib etc. performing against each other.

There are enough reasons for them to watch BBL, CPL, BPL, SLPL as well as they can see how their own players performing.

But for Indian fans the only incentive to watch a foreign league is to see international stars. PSL need to increase its global superstar counts to attract more viewership. Good that stars like Rashid Khan will play this year which would help the cause a bit.

Dont take me wrong, Indians would still watch PSL if it is on tele.

But would there be a big following? Nope.

Would they sacrifice their regular shows to watch PSL? Dont think so. Come 9.30PM and every remote will switch it to Big Boss.
    I agree that having international stars improves the fan-following, but also marketing and the types of games that are played. I mean the level of competition.

In PSL, it's pretty easy to tell which team is gonna win a match from the get-go, that's something that has to be changed. You put RR against SRH, and there's always a chance that RR can win. That level of competition is held together by the fact that each team has international superstars who can change the tide of a game through one innings.

By my understanding, PSL being promoted on Sony channels (which I assume are popular in India) would naturally increase the viewership only in times where there is no other cricket being watched. During the PSL, the Ind vs Eng series will be happening, and it's quite a big series. I wouldn't expect people to take time out of their days to watch PSL when there are important fixtures of their national team happening at the same time. The only way that would happen is if PSL becomes more entertaining and competitive.

Sony isn't an incompetent company by any means, so they probably thought through the viewership means and know which audience to target. Additionally, they'd be trying hard to make PSL matches shown at times where other events are not. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

However, most of the points you made were correct. I don't expect there to be a large fan-following in India unless the PSL improves drastically over the next few years to accommodate more international stars and really improve the quality of the league.

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesozoic View Post
    Home series too? It's going to be tough for Sony to handle their scheduling now.

They already have...

West Indies home games

Not much of overlap there ,is it? Plus I guess they have 3 channels?

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomaskutty View Post
    I really doubt that .. a lot of these t20 leagues is the same players in diff clothing, same commentators .. all
    gets repetitive and tiresome after a while.
    So are saas bahu tv serials but they still get viewers

Indians love becoming couch potatoes - show sports like cricket on tv , u will get decent viewership. More like u come home from office , switch on tv & see decent T20 match on tv , u will watch it for sometime at least

Debut
    May 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    I agree that having international stars improves the fan-following, but also marketing and the types of games that are played. I mean the level of competition.

In PSL, it's pretty easy to tell which team is gonna win a match from the get-go, that's something that has to be changed. You put RR against SRH, and there's always a chance that RR can win. That level of competition is held together by the fact that each team has international superstars who can change the tide of a game through one innings.

By my understanding, PSL being promoted on Sony channels (which I assume are popular in India) would naturally increase the viewership only in times where there is no other cricket being watched. During the PSL, the Ind vs Eng series will be happening, and it's quite a big series. I wouldn't expect people to take time out of their days to watch PSL when there are important fixtures of their national team happening at the same time. The only way that would happen is if PSL becomes more entertaining and competitive.

Sony isn't an incompetent company by any means, so they probably thought through the viewership means and know which audience to target. Additionally, they'd be trying hard to make PSL matches shown at times where other events are not. It will be difficult, but not impossible.

However, most of the points you made were correct. I don't expect there to be a large fan-following in India unless the PSL improves drastically over the next few years to accommodate more international stars and really improve the quality of the league.
    PSL games are in the evening right? Should not be overlap with Ind Eng series.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Venue
    Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NishanKonar View Post
    So are saas bahu tv serials but they still get viewers

Indians love becoming couch potatoes - show sports like cricket on tv , u will get decent viewership. More like u come home from office , switch on tv & see decent T20 match on tv , u will watch it for sometime at least
    So was dhinchak puja where she got the benefits of novelty factor but that wore out completely.

SaaS bahu serials are relevant because somewhere somehow it related to the minds of target audience in their fantasies.

Does PSL offer any such aspect where the audience can get attachment?

The true cricket followers will follow no doubt but they will be a very small share.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Venue
    New Delhi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why would Indian muslims in particular be interested in the PSL over other Indians? That's some A grade soft bigotry there. Actually, that's not even soft, to be honest.

Potentially, the PSL is the second biggest league in the world and should see good growth over the years. A SONY deal should certainly have a positive impact on global (and Indian) audience viewership.

However, as is the case with any other league in the world - the lack of Indian cricketers means that no non-IPL league will ever gain mainstream popularity in India.

Still, I can see a lot of Indians (Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, etc. alike) tuning in to the PSL from time to time especially if they start streaming the matches on Hotstar or some similar platform.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

They already have...

West Indies home games

Not sure whether you live in India or not but Sony has Ten 1, 2, 3 and Six to manage all the sports workload. If they can manage Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chasma and their followers for more than 3000 episodes then they can manage anything. Don't worry about them.

Debut
    Jan 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many Indians will watch psl matches if they don't have to pay extra, if psl is scheduled during the period in which Sony telecast india's matches it will get good viewership in india otherwise many Indians except kashmiri fans of pakistan cricket won't spend money to watch psl.
    Last edited by Hornbill; 24th January 2021 at 17:06.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak619 View Post
    Why would Indian muslims in particular be interested in the PSL over other Indians? That's some A grade soft bigotry there. Actually, that's not even soft, to be honest.

Potentially, the PSL is the second biggest league in the world and should see good growth over the years. A SONY deal should certainly have a positive impact on global (and Indian) audience viewership.

However, as is the case with any other league in the world - the lack of Indian cricketers means that no non-IPL league will ever gain mainstream popularity in India.

Still, I can see a lot of Indians (Hindus, Muslims, Sikhs, etc. alike) tuning in to the PSL from time to time especially if they start streaming the matches on Hotstar or some similar platform.
    I think he has a point. Indian muslims, especially from North India, loves Pakistan cricket a lot. Some even support Pakistan team more than India. So a Pakistan T20 league will definitely be very popular among Indian muslims.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a kashmiri, big relief seriously. Have been waiting for this to happen. I have been in bangalore for 3 years now and all my friends used to watch PSL especially with Dream11 coming into picture.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ak619 View Post

Before asking such a stupid question you should have done some research, read the question before the part you bolded and if you are still lazy to do that just read some of the comments here from joshila type posters above. I made that comment just to prove that few blind bhakhts won't decide who will watch what in India. Not only Muslims or Sikhs, Hindus too watched PSL last time it was aired in India but they will never accept it here. They are too arrogant to accept that.

I am not interested in watching PSL but I am pretty sure I will watch Pakistan's home series on Sony. It's been a long long time since I watched Pakistan play in Pakistan against a top class side like South Africa.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    Not much of overlap there ,is it? Plus I guess they have 3 channels?
    They hv 5 sports channels .. Sony Ten1,2&3, Sony Six and Sony ESPN..

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure whether you live in India or not but Sony has Ten 1, 2, 3 and Six to manage all the sports workload. If they can manage Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chasma and their followers for more than 3000 episodes then they can manage anything. Don't worry about them.

Sony Ten 1 and Ten 2 are mainly "non-cricket/other sports" channels. They may show some highlights here and there but they primarily show football, Tennis, Wrestling etc...

1 and 2 mostly show Serie A, Italian cup, Champions/Europa League, FA cup etc , NBA, UFC, WWE, F1 and some tennis events (French and Australian open).

If India plays in any of the above mentioned countries, then Six and Ten 3 (Hindi commentary) are a gonner too.

Now say that again....

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the pak home series starting with Pak Sa series

Debut
    Jun 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sony Ten 1 and Ten 2 are mainly "non-cricket/other sports" channels. They may show some highlights here and there but they primarily show football, Tennis, Wrestling etc...

1 and 2 mostly show Serie A, Italian cup, Champions/Europa League, FA cup etc , NBA, UFC, WWE, F1 and some tennis events (French and Australian open).

If India plays in any of the above mentioned countries, then Six and Ten 3 (Hindi commentary) are a gonner too.

Now say that again....
    Nope .....as far as I know they showed the recent Ind Aus series in 1 2 and BBL is also shown.......I have seen some ad in internet.........

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Venue
    Behind you
    Runs
    Mentioned
    306 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post
    This is a good move by the PSL. Tons of Indians will tune in for sure.

I mean, even when Bangladesh and Afghanistan faced off in a T20 series in Dehradun, the stadiums were full for all 3 games.
    Pretty much, at times I have seen random PSL videos on YouTube and was surprised when I saw a lot of Indians commenting on it (not trolling but commenting!). Inzi's YouTube channel mostly has Pakistan cricket news on it but in comments you can see tons of Indians following him which is great to see for once no trolling or nonsense by either.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by naseem View Post
    What about the pak home series starting with Pak Sa series
    Their coverage starts from the upcoming home series against South Africa.

Debut
    Nov 2010
    Venue
    Paradise
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A majority of Kashmiri population where ever they are in india wd watch PSL and Pak games for sure. We kashmiris are crazy about pak cricket.
    Plus, I don't know whether I shd write it here or not but any cricket match that is televised live in india has lot of Indian population betting on those matches which means PSL for sure wd get a lot of eye balls in india for that reason alone.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on which channel they will Telecast .if they telecast on Sony six or Ten 3 then surely viewership can increase .cant day about other channels

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Now say that again....
    Oh bhai do you even live in India? I actually watched Ind vs Aus series on Sony Ten 1(Channel Number 470 on TataSky). Now say that again.....

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Indians love their cricket and I'm sure they'll watch it IF the standard of cricket is decent and the broadcast is professional.

At the moment the PSL is amateur in terms of broadcast - from the studio presentation, to the commentary, to post match presentations and post match analysis. Huge improvements are needed.
    This is really what it is. If the quality is there , no reason why people won't watch. It will need some stars from branding standpoint to draw that critical mass. Few Pakistani serials that are well made are watched by millions of audience.

And there are always students, retired folks who watch everything for timepass. So PSL definitely will get some audience but if the coverage is ameturish and if the contest is not there then vierwership will be stagnant after the novelty factor goes away.

This assertion from some that viewer will tune in because they are Muslims or may switch off the TV because they are political right represents less than 1 percent of catchment audience i.e. current subscription base of Sony.

Debut
    Nov 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    125 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Absolutely.
    Sony TV is a popular name in India, actually i never knew that PSL was being televised in India before this.
    DSport? I didn't even know that we had a channel by this name.

We are the kind of audience who can watch afghanistan league let alone Pakistan.

Debut
    May 2017
    Venue
    Chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course. Even if only a small fraction watches it, the numbers will be huge, bigger than viewership in all countries apart from Pakistan and maybe Bangladesh, latter I am including since I think some top Bangladeshi stars play PSL.

Mostly Indians stay away from CPL, Big Bash because of timings, PSL has the unique advantage that matches will start late evening after most of us come back home from work.

DSport was awful, SONY is a different beast. If we have fantasy games like Dream11, My11 even better, since many casual fans too may follow the league somewhat.
    Last edited by Swashbuckler; 24th January 2021 at 18:23.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some indian fan's say they will not watch IPL but think other can watch PSL

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some fact which can disappointed some people's ( mostly about rural area) when there is IPL around the corner most of people (80%) recharge their DTH Connection to watch IPL but same can't be said about ODI & Test match .btw I'm not a fan of T20 or odi but hardcore Test fan

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    No doubt. The Indian masses will watch any cricket. PSL will definitely grab a lot more eyeballs and thereby re-infuse Pakistani flavor into Indian cricket. Who knows this may also mean the famous Pakistan players from PSL may find themselves playing in IPL. Overall, a great boost for Pakistan cricket. We need to milk the Indian market.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Forward Defensive Push View Post
    No doubt. The Indian masses will watch any cricket. PSL will definitely grab a lot more eyeballs and thereby re-infuse Pakistani flavor into Indian cricket. Who knows this may also mean the famous Pakistan players from PSL may find themselves playing in IPL. Overall, a great boost for Pakistan cricket. We need to milk the Indian market.
    Yea bcz indian crazy about cricket so even 1% people (definitely they will) watch psl then its big moment for psl.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I can’t speak for others, but I would rather watch some cricket than other tv shows. Since psl comes on during my office hours in US, I will watch it just like how I watch IPL, on willow.tv while working.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quite a few Indian posters and cricket fans on social media used to ask about where to watch it as I think D sports isn't as widely watched or known in India so it’s definitely good to have coverage and people who want to watch can do it now much more easily.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does the CPL have a great following in India? I don't think so.
    I think maybe it is mainly the timings of CPL in India with matches happening in while everyone is sleeping or very early in the morning if I am not wrong. PSL would be taking place in evening and late evening so it would be much easier for people to follow if they want to.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We watched on 470 Tata sky ind vs aus. But I donít like Sony I think star is much better. If it is not broadcast in English lot of South Indians wonít watch. It gets boring after a while to hear Hindi commentary. I only like to hear commentary in English.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan24 View Post
    PSL would be taking place in evening and late evening so it would be much easier for people to follow if they want to.
    Remains to be seen if PSL can be appointment viewing at primetime in India.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by prisha View Post
    We watched on 470 Tata sky ind vs aus. But I donít like Sony I think star is much better. If it is not broadcast in English lot of South Indians wonít watch. It gets boring after a while to hear Hindi commentary. I only like to hear commentary in English.
    Hindi commentary is meh on Sony.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Will be a bold move from Sony if they inked this deal. On the other hand, they can negotiate a deal where the risk is baked into the contract. For example, should a situation arise where public mood turns against Pakistan, they can suspend the broadcast without any financial penalty. PCB can agree to that because it's better than no deal at all.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Previously(before 2010) Ten Cricket used to show home games from Pakistan. So it is not surprising to see Sony going for these rights.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if very few viewers watch it mainly due to fatigue after watching ind vs England. If there are even few ppl who watch it will be huge number. Even hot star had ridiculous numbers for thier IPL broadcast on net. But they need to get excellent commentators. They should get familiar names to Indian audiences.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remains to be seen if PSL can be appointment viewing at primetime in India.
    Not sure about primetime but, if people to watch then its much easier than CPL due to timings and now well covered due to rights with Sony.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Btw this deal includes Sony broadcasting in Bangladesh and Sri Lanka as well. Itís not just for Indian fans.

Massive deal and excellent in terms of boosting viewership numbers, from all over the subcontinent.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    616 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why even bother showing Pakistan's cricket in India when they can't even stand a single Pakistani?

Like most people here say that they don't watch the IPL, then why are you expecting them to watch your product?

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Alex View Post
    PSL games are in the evening right? Should not be overlap with Ind Eng series.
    If Indians had to pick between watching Ind vs Eng, they'd watch that. People are passionate for cricket in India, and the average person can't spend that long in front of a TV, so they wouldn't really be watching Ind vs Eng and also PSL in the same day, it's just very unlikely.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Delhi,India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeeteshssaxena View Post
    Absolutely.
    Sony TV is a popular name in India, actually i never knew that PSL was being televised in India before this.
    DSport? I didn't even know that we had a channel by this name.

We are the kind of audience who can watch afghanistan league let alone Pakistan.
    Exactly

I watched a few afghan league, Masters league in uae. Canada league where UV played. BPL. US superstar games SRT was there.

Recently LPL ... Watched initial matches then highlights on youtube from their official channel and I can say that their highlights of 19-20 minutes were actually really very good and just becuase of that I watched highlights of almost each and every league match which leads me to watch semis and final as well. Amir underperformed in LPL Malik was good even Afridi batted well not sure why he didn't played later maybe injured. didn't followed any news related to LPL.

I was also not aware that DSport was showing IPL. I followed PSL when it was on that free streaming site but it was not that good. Still I watched here and there mostly on youtube highlights like Babar and Akmal's innings,ABD,etc Never watched those luke Ronchi's innings but heard a lot here on PP.

With Sony will definitely watch series with SA and later England and all. Especially because there are lots of familiar faces are there for me to look for like Rabada and Nortje as they play for Delhi and my IPL team is Delhi and I'll be rooting for them against Pakistan my 2nd and 3rd favorite are Rajasthan and Hyderabad so remaining series will have Stokes, Buttler and all . Plus PSL will have our ever favorite Rashid Khan, Saqib ul hasan, ABD, etc Sorry to say but Pakistan right now only have Babar to sell to us crazy fans.

BBL and CPL I only watch youtube highlights due to timings and they are mostly good highlight package.

Never watched NZ league. Watched few SA league games highlights only their league sponsor name is very difficult to pronounce.

Did I miss any league ?

I don't like AbuDhabi T10 too short to make a cricket match. Never watched HongKong Sixes

Somehow I always miss Englad T20 league even the highlights.