User Tag List

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Justice for Kamran Ghulam: Leading run scorer in QeA yet not in 17 man squad?!

What is this nonsense by Babar/management??

So this guy who is young, played all of the FC season on home tracks and racked up a thousand odd runs has not been considered in the final sqaud let alone the starting XI (Where he should be in)! Are the management suggesting that they have picked 7-8 batsmen who would have scored as prolifically as this guy did had they played the FC season instead of being bounced up and down by Southee and Jamieson???

What a farce! He was in my starting XI! He was supposed to bat at number 4 after Babar and before Fawad/Rizwan! Im shocked to say the least.

Please justify this omission!

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Majority believe he needs to do it for 2 seasons. We don't want 1 season wonders. Hes still with the squad and will get a chance in future.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    289 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ataullah View Post
    Majority believe he needs to do it for 2 seasons. We don't want 1 season wonders. Hes still with the squad and will get a chance in future.
    He's not 15 years old.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Justice for everyone

Debut
    Aug 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well maybe he should have been ahead of imran butt who has a worse domestic record than asad shafiqs international record.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If that's the case, why on earth is a mediocre batsman such as Imran Butt with the team still?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all ..everybody is having a go imran butt now as he is definately going to make his debut.

He had couple of good seasons if i remember thats all but has his chance.

Kamran Gulam will get his chance if he performs again simple just by having one good season how is that injustice??

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full support from #AsianBloc

@freelance_cricketer

Debut
    Jul 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man whatís with the justice. No one has a right to play. Also itís his first successful season. Thereís nothing wrong in him waiting

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    If that's the case, why on earth is a mediocre batsman such as Imran Butt with the team still?
    Well we need 3 openers in the squad combination. We only went with 2, considering how bad the resources are in the country.

Who else would you have included?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Monetarist View Post
    Lol hes mediocre. Hes an opener though and a good slip fielder 😆

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rana View Post
    He's not 15 years old.
    I would drop Abdullah, Rauf, Nawaz and Salman Agha...I wouldn't drop kamran but he wouldn't get in final 11 anyway. This will be the team and its known since past 3/4 days:

Azhar
    Abid
    Saud
    Babar
    Fawad
    Rizwan
    Faheem
    Hasan
    Yasir
    Sajid
    Shaheen

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I would drop Abdullah, Rauf, Nawaz and Salman Agha...I wouldn't drop kamran but he wouldn't get in final 11 anyway. This will be the team and its known since past 3/4 days:

Azhar
    Abid
    Saud
    Babar
    Fawad
    Rizwan
    Faheem
    Hasan
    Yasir
    Sajid
    Shaheen
    Source? Still Yahya Hussaini?

Debut
    Jul 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    262 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Because selecting players based on domestic t20 leagues of other countries is more important than selecting players based on domestic performances of own country

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. --Mark Twain

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Is there a shortage of names in Pakistan?

Rarely do I seem to encounter a new player with a first/last name already not used by a recent player.

Sometimes - the whole name itself is repeated: Imran Khan jnr, Mohammad Irfan jnr, Rameez Raja jnr etc.
    Last edited by Varun; 24th January 2021 at 15:57.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Sep 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Given that this Pakistan team itself has announced only 2 openers in the 17, it stands to reason that they either will play these two, or else choose a middle order batsman to open. The latter would be weird.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    chorley
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Source? Still Yahya Hussaini?
    Abdul ghaffar Dawn news. Many have mentioned sajid will debut and Tabish has been unfairly treated in the practice sessions.

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Venue
    Manchester
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Relax. I don't think its possible for us to ever be happy with selection. It was between him and Saud and they went for Saud. Move on.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

Rarely do I seem to encounter a new player with a first/last name already not used by a recent player.

Sometimes - the whole name itself is repeated: Imran Khan jnr, Mohammad Irfan jnr, Rameez Raja jnr etc.

True.

Fakhar Zaman is the only player with an unused name in the recent times. All of the rest have the recycled names with the same 'Imran, Kamran, Wasim, Ahmed , Haris and Ali".

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

Most names are due to religious significance. You will see Mohammad, Ahmed, Umar, Usman, etc a lot. Rarely will you find a name with no religious significance.

Last names are often based on ethnicity, tribe, village, family ancestry etc.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Abdul ghaffar Dawn news. Many have mentioned sajid will debut and Tabish has been unfairly treated in the practice sessions.
    I like Abdul Ghaffar. Letís see whether heís right.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this guy who is young, played all of the FC season on home tracks and racked up a thousand odd runs has not been considered in the final sqaud let alone the starting XI (Where he should be in)! Are the management suggesting that they have picked 7-8 batsmen who would have scored as prolifically as this guy did had they played the FC season instead of being bounced up and down by Southee and Jamieson???

What a farce! He was in my starting XI! He was supposed to bat at number 4 after Babar and before Fawad/Rizwan! Im shocked to say the least.

The final decision for a middle order batsman came down to either Saud Shakeel or Kamran Ghulam.

Now look at who has played more matches and performed more consistently over a longer period of time.

The obvious answer is Saud Shakeel.

Now the issue is that both occupy relatively similar positions.

Babar won't move from 4 because he's made that spot his own. You either have 3 or 6 left, assuming that you push Rizwan down to 7, which would be a huge injustice to Rizwan who's held our batting together in the away series we've had.

Saud will likely occupy #3, meaning that even if Kamran Ghulam makes the team, he will have to start out at #6.

Not many teams play genuine batsmen down as far as #6, where the wicket-keeper usually plays. Teams instead opt for batting all-rounders to merge the gap between the bowlers and last recognized batsmen.

I'm slightly concerned as to how much longer Fawad is going to hold onto that slot at 5, because it's a really important slot for the team. As long as he's producing 50s and 100s, I don't care, but if he gets out of form in the near future, it would be a pain for the management to drop him seeing as he has the support of the entire country to some extent.

So basically, until you get Fawad out of the team (which I don't want to do if he's performing well), the likelihood of Kamran Ghulam making the playing XI is very low, it always was to be honest.

People like Salman Agha and Mohammad Nawaz will be given a chance in the second test as we drop one of the spinners, so the thing is that whichever one of our spinners performs the best in the 1st test will likely play the second, so Yasir and Sajid will be competing for that slot.

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I am sure Kamran shall remain on the radar.

Debut
    Jan 2012
    Venue
    Sydney, Australia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Disappointed that he didn't make the cut. Realistically there's one open spot in the team that would either be filled by Imran Butt, Saud Shakeel or Kamran Ghulam depending on whether Azhar opens or not.

Ideally Misbah/Babar would grow brain cells and not play Imran Butt so that would leave Kamran and Saud.

Personally I would have preferred to play Kamran on the basis of his monstrous recent form, and Saud's uncanny ability to fail in the first innings.

Having said that it's understandable that Saud got the nod in the end based on having performed for years

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If he would have just topped FC this year and had just 1 performance in FC season i would say ok fine.

But
    But
    He topped the chart with record breaking performance, none has ever scored these many runs and with 5 hundreds and 5 fities in 11 matches that's fantastic conversation rate he simple doesn't drop out.

And as far as Nawaz is concerned the ball he bowls kamran can also bowl same.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Venue
    Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask him to prove himself by playing another good season. Just 1 season cannot prove his worth.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    Well we need 3 openers in the squad combination. We only went with 2, considering how bad the resources are in the country.

Who else would you have included?
    Yes, the situation is dire. They shouldn't be dropping Shan Masood if Azhar Ali is averse to opening.

Debut
    Jul 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    After a long time I feel Pakistan team has got someone who is mentally strong and that is Kamran Ghulam. KG would not be as good as Babar or Yousuf when playing his shots but he is someone who has got Younis like determination levels. Pakistan cricket has been lacking someone with strong mental ability and I believe Kamran can answer that. Although he didn't make it to the final squad (unfair on him) I have a strong feeling he would have a decent test career ahead of him.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hardly an injustice for the ages, the guy has performed in 1 QeA season and was in direct competition with another solid domestic performer who (by some accounts) is considerably younger than Kamran is.

Azhar and Fawad aren't going to play forever so Kamran will get his opportunity.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone had to miss out. Saud Shakeel has been performing for a longer period of time in domestics so I think its a fair call as of now.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Usually we shouldn't pick guys based off a few good matches. But this was different, he was so consistent he broke the record. When a player is in this good form, really you take the chance on him to maximise it.

It's ironic really, this was an example of an absolutely exceptional performance that does merit an instant call up. Instead in the past we've given cricketers chances after a few good performances which were merely just good/very good, but no where the proportions that Kamran has done.

His competition in Saud has played just 15 more matches than Kamran, and yet only has 1 more century. It's not like there's a huge gulf in experience or anything. While Saud is fine, I would have taken the chance on Kamran.

If we really wanted experience and consistent performance, Saad has over twice the number of matches, and Usman has 4 times the amount. I hardly call 15 more games and 1 more century definite proof of being able to do it over a longer period.

Debut
    Mar 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's not the end of the world for him, it's just one game. There was just about one space in the squad for him, and currently in our middle order there's not a space at all. If he keeps such performances up, he will get his chance very soon.

Arsenal all the way!! (and Pakistan, of course!)

Debut
    Mar 2003
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selections arenít solely made on stats and any decent first class cricketer may have a great season at some point in their career. Doesnít necessarily mean itís repeatable at the domestic let alone international circuit

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think he deserved to be in place of that low-quality all-rounder Muhammad Nawaz.

Debut
    Mar 2019
    Venue
    Islamabad
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I wanted him to be in side for 1st test in place of fawad but this could be a good thing for Kamran, because after this series we have very easy test matches coming up this year that would ve the perfect time for Kamran to play his 1st game & then cement his position & get his confidence up by playing 2 test vs 🇿🇼 & 2 vs 🇧🇩.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    South Korea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    KG may actually be happy to be dropped. Let your competitor debut against Rabada/Ngidi/Nortje while you wait for zim series.

Serious Sport has nothing to do with fair play... it is war minus the shooting.

Debut
    Aug 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Saud Shakeel is a disaster waiting to happen. I get this feeling, from watching him over the years, that he’s a mentally week player who only scores soft runs. Much like Asad Shafiq, he doesn’t have that killer instinct to finish games. Hope to be proven wrong.