Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Fawad Alam the new Misbah-ul-Haq?

After Misbah retired, Pakistan struggled in test cricket but now they seem to have found the successor of Misbah Pakistan. Both have similar stories. Just like Misbah, Fawad Alam has made his return in mid 30s and performing. Their batting style might not be very entertaining to watch but it's very effective for their side.

Debut
    Jan 2005
    Venue
    New Delhi, India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    523 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Maybe Fawad Alam could have a Misbah like career, so that could mean the Misbah-Fawad comparisions taking place. Misbah made a comeback at age of 37 in 2010, that too as captain and played till 43 before he retired. Misbah held Pakistani team together and never showed any signs of aging. He was even playing PSL at age of 45

More than new Misbah ul Haq, Fawad might be Pakistan's Shivnarine Chanderpaul. Fawad Alam's batting style is similar to Chanderpaul. Also Chanderpaul never retired, he was dropped

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Fawad is far better batsman than Misbah in terms of scoring minus big shot like Misbah. Feel really really sorry for him. He could be the highest run scorer for us.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    906 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    You tell me?

- Can Fawad score the fastest-ever century in Tests like Misbah did?
    - Can Fawad become as consistent as Misbah, and score runs every time under pressure?
    - Can Fawad clobber the bowlers and hit sixes at will?

The answer is no - He can't become as good as Misbah.

But, he'll more often than not score in the sub-continent, as compared to bottlers like Asad Shafiq.

So, he's a short-term fix in Asian conditions.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    South Korea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amit View Post
    Maybe Fawad Alam could have a Misbah like career, so that could mean the Misbah-Fawad comparisions taking place. Misbah made a comeback at age of 37 in 2010, that too as captain and played till 43 before he retired. Misbah held Pakistani team together and never showed any signs of aging. He was even playing PSL at age of 45

More than new Misbah ul Haq, Fawad might be Pakistan's Shivnarine Chanderpaul. Fawad Alam's batting style is similar to Chanderpaul. Also Chanderpaul never retired, he was dropped
    Misbah is atleast 55 years old now. No way he was 37 in 2010. I don't know why Pakistani cricketers & aunties hide their age. I have failed to figure out what benefit do they get by hiding real age.

Serious Sport has nothing to do with fair play... it is war minus the shooting.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fawad Alam is a mediocre player, so mediocre that he won't have a single test 50 after an hour from now unless I jinx him

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Fawad's second wind has happened too late even by Misbah's standards.

He might give Pakistan 18 months tops.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    218 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Misbah had a lot of ability, and didnt take risks when needed. Fawad has limited ability but he uses his complete ability whenever he goes in to bat in tests. Misbah is an underachiever in LOIs. Fawad with his limitations, has been great.

I mean it is criminal how he has not been picked in the test squad for an entire decade.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    751 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varun View Post

Agreed. Faddy is only playing his 8th test. At his age, even Misbah had played 15 tests or so. So I'm not sure Faddy has a future in the team, unfortunately.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Dec 2012
    Venue
    Indian Ocean
    Runs
    Mentioned
    527 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Agreed. Faddy is only playing his 8th test. At his age, even Misbah had played 15 tests or so. So I'm not sure Faddy has a future in the team, unfortunately.
    Actually by 35/36, Misbah had gone past 30+ tests.

Have some Sehwag in your life.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    You tell me?

- Can Fawad become as consistent as Misbah, and score runs every time under pressure?

But, he'll more often than not score in the sub-continent, as compared to bottlers like Asad Shafiq.

Fact Check!!!
    Can Fawad hit big 6 like Misbah no
    Can Misbah score hundred in ODI like Fawad no
    Can Fawad get big position like Misbah without meeting criteria no
    Can Misbah get over 50 average in domestic like Fawad no
    Does Fawad play selfish like Misbah no
    Is Misbah match winner like Fawad no
    Does Fawad choke like Misbah no
    Is Fawad impactless player like Misbah no

Fawad 7 Misbah 1

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

He's fit, he's hungry for runs, and his confidence is building.

18 months is an arbitrary and made up number. I don't see why Fawad can't play for another 5 years if he can keep performances up

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1361 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coy0607 View Post
    He's fit, he's hungry for runs, and his confidence is building.

18 months is an arbitrary and made up number. I don't see why Fawad can't play for another 5 years if he can keep performances up
    I hope he atleast plays 50 to 60 tests and scores around 5000 runs

Meri Awaaz suno....
    Mujhe Azaad karo....

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually by 35/36, Misbah had gone past 30+ tests.
    21 tests by the end of 2010 when he was 35.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You tell me?

Hitting sixes at will ? Where was that 'will' during WC 2011 semifinal?

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    What an inspirational story. Hope Fawad scores at least another 2-3k runs for Pakistan.

The sad thing is that Misbah was part of the think tank that wasted Fawad’s golden years.
    Last edited by gazza619; 27th January 2021 at 19:21.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    959 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, Fawad has been selected way too late and is pretty much at the end.

He should have been in the team 6 or 7 years ago.

Anyway, a major slap on the faces of those people that ridiculed his technique and runs in FC!!

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1436 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aqeelPK View Post
    Misbah is atleast 55 years old now. No way he was 37 in 2010. I don't know why Pakistani cricketers & aunties hide their age. I have failed to figure out what benefit do they get by hiding real age.
    So he was playing cricket at the age of 52?

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad's innings is the difference between the two teams. Top knock and has built on his NZ exploits.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    486 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Fawad actually converts his slow starts

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Fawad actually converts his slow starts
    Pakistan batsman Fawad Alam on Wednesday scored his third Test century in the opening game of the two-Test series against South Africa at the National Stadium in Karachi and with his triple-figure mark, he joined an elusive group being the first from his nation.

Fawad is the first Pakistan batsman to convert each of his first three half-centuries into a century. His first ton came in 2009, against Sri Lanka in Colombo. 11 years later, he added a second to his list, scoring 102 against New Zealand in Mount Maunganui in December 2020. He scored his third hundred a month later.

Fawad joined England's Ravi Bopara in an elusive list. However, it is George Headley who holds the world record for having converted his first six half-centuries into 100s.

Fawad's century, also his first on home soil, single-handedly guided Pakistan past South Africa's first-innings total of 220, after the top order collapsed in the final session of the opening day.

Pakistan lost their first three and nightwatchman Shaheen Shah Afridi, for just 27 runs. Fawad then stitched a 94-run stand alongside Azhar Ali, who scored his half-century. He further added another 55-run stand alongside wicketkeeper-batsman Mohammad Rizwan.

Pakistan are presently playing their first home Test series against South Africa in 13 years.

https://www.indiatvnews.com/sports/c...century-680830

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Jan 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aqeelPK View Post
    I have failed to figure out what benefit do they get by hiding real age.
    I am no age scientist but it's probably to be able to play much longer.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    Age scientist lmao dunno if it was tongue in cheek comment.

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No he's the new MoHa 3.0.....

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You tell me?

Going based off the short sample size, Fawad would've probably ended up as the better test bastsman than Misbah if he was invested in. Perhaps Misbah felt threatened by him? Explains why he went ahead with Asad Shafiq or at various points recalling Malik/Hafeez or Ifthikhar.

Fawad has scored all 3 of his 100s in pressure situations for the record.

And the fastest test century means nothing. Misbah was a very good batsman but he scored on the featherbeds of UAE and inflated his average by staying not out. His record in South Africa and Australia speaks for itself. In England and New Zealand it's well below average too.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post
    Misbah had a lot of ability, and didnt take risks when needed. Fawad has limited ability but he uses his complete ability whenever he goes in to bat in tests. Misbah is an underachiever in LOIs. Fawad with his limitations, has been great.

I mean it is criminal how he has not been picked in the test squad for an entire decade.
    It was Misbah the Skipper who decided to keep Fawad Out of the test squad. Because he wanted Asad Shafiq. Fawad Alam had the highest first class batting average for any Pakistani. This stubborn support for Asad Shafiq wasted what could have been a career as good as Chanderpaul's.

Asad Shafiq had technique but he never had courage to stand against pressure. If wickets are falling Asad would fold in a few deliveries, I don't know why selectors could not see that flaw. I hope Fawad stays fit and plays well into his Forties.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyG View Post
    Going based off the short sample size, Fawad would've probably ended up as the better test bastsman than Misbah if he was invested in. Perhaps Misbah felt threatened by him? Explains why he went ahead with Asad Shafiq or at various points recalling Malik/Hafeez or Ifthikhar.

Fawad has scored all 3 of his 100s in pressure situations for the record.

And the fastest test century means nothing. Misbah was a very good batsman but he scored on the featherbeds of UAE and inflated his average by staying not out. His record in South Africa and Australia speaks for itself. In England and New Zealand it's well below average too.
    Fawad is not as talented as Misbah though. We can all agree on that.

Debut
    Feb 2010
    Venue
    Chandigarh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    520 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Its criminal that he was kept out for 10 years and posters also bashed him based on technique

Technique matters little if you can score runs.Biggest example is Steve Smith

The only disability in life is a bad attitude. -Scott Hamilton

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadBall View Post
    It is because people start attacking the Player and calling for him to be dropped, no matter how well he performs. Misbah is an example he was attacked & trolled endlessly while he was the most consistent performer.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    288 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fawad is a positive cricketer who doesn’t make it seem like he is doing an ehsan on the team by needlessly blocking 300 balls for 15 runs like Misbah used to

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7140 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    This guy scored 109, not 309.

He threw it away after getting set; he had the chance to go big and completely take the game away from South Africa but he failed to do so.

It was just a decent innings at best. He did not move any mountains.
    Last edited by MenInG; 27th January 2021 at 23:52.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Executioner View Post

I can't agree more. You summerized both in one para. Misbah I think was always cautious not to loose his place in the team both as player and Captain and it's very understandable when you debut at 37. He had big shots in his hands but he seldomely used those. He was defensive as a batsman and Captain. He would have scored 10000 plus runs with better strike rate had he been made debut at 23 ,like Younis khan. Fawad is not a player with wide range of shots but he uses his capabilities and brain to the maximum. I am sure he would have been another 10000 plus test player had he been given a continuous run in the team since his debut in 2006.i have been shouting for Fawad's inclusion since eternity.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He will play another 3 years at least so it means Saud Shakeel has to wait.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srh View Post
    Fawad is not as talented as Misbah though. We can all agree on that.
    What is talent? Neither of them are supremely talented (ala Yousuf or Inzi) but Misbah had a better power game. But what did that achieve? Fawad has a higher ODI strike rate than Misbah.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope he is someone better than Misbah.

Debut
    Dec 2009
    Venue
    Paris
    Runs
    Mentioned
    36 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Jesus, another Fawad thread. This guy scored 109, not 309.

He threw it away after getting set; he had the chance to go big and completely take the game away from South Africa but he failed to do so.

It was a very good innings in the contest of the match. You come on 33/4 and score that much.
    Not only 309's are good innings...

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    He has heart. He always had heart. I remember his Asia Cup century. He is old school Pakistani resilience.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Venue
    South Korea
    Runs
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    Jesus, another Fawad thread. This guy scored 109, not 309.

I am sure even if he had scored 309, you would've commented he had the chance to break Lara's record but he failed to do so, he is pathetic, hopeless, clueless & blah blah.

Serious Sport has nothing to do with fair play... it is war minus the shooting.

Debut
    Sep 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You tell me?

Yes and Misbah broke records in SENA conditions... his only century came in England just btw

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2745 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    Fawad on Misbah's role in his recent career progress:

"Misbah has always encouraged me and after my performances in England they could have dropped me but they didn’t do that and they saw my potential. They gave me chances in New Zealand also and the management has given me a lot of support and you take that confidence to the crease with you and the concern of whether you will be picked for the next match is removed. Misbah has given me a lot of confidence and encouragement and these positives are what can lift you as a player and help you deliver as a player. As a player you want to deliver in every match and and not to worry about the past because people will only talk about your latest innings."

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    top innings usual gritty and determine knock.haters are silent