Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2747 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)

ICC announces 'ICC Player of the Month'

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the introduction of the ICC Player of the Month awards which will recognise and celebrate the best performances of both male and female cricketers across all forms of international cricket throughout the year.

Fans are invited to vote online every month to award their favourite male and female cricketers across all formats of international cricket played in that month

An independent ICC Voting Academy comprising former players, broadcasters, and journalists from around the world, will team up with fans to vote for the ICC Men’s Player of the Month and ICC Women’s Player of the Month.

Fans have been treated to some sensational cricketing performances during the month of January making the inaugural player of the month awards a highly competitive affair. From performances from youngsters such as Mohammed Siraj (IN), Washington Sundar (IN), T. Natarajan (IN), Rishabh Pant (IN), Rahmanullah Gurbaz (AFG) to established players such as Ravichandran Ashwin (IN), Joe Root (ENG), Steve Smith (AUS), Marizanne Kapp (SA), Nadine de Klerk (SA), Nida Dar (PAK), there will be no shortage of candidates for the month of January.

Geoff Allardice, ICC General Manager – Cricket said: “The ICC Player of the Month is a great way to connect with fans of the sport and celebrate performances of their favourite players through the year. It gives us all an opportunity to acknowledge world class performances on the field by male and female cricketers and they have been in abundance throughout January.”

The nomination and voting process:

The three nominees for each of the categories will be determined by the ICC Awards Nominations Committee based on on-field performances and overall achievements during the period of that month (the first to the last day of each calendar month.)

This shortlist is then voted for by the independent ICC Voting Academy and fans around the world. The ICC Voting Academy comprising prominent members of the cricket family including senior journalists, former players, and broadcasters.

The Voting Academy will submit their votes by email and will retain a 90% share of the vote. Subsequently, on the 1st day of each month, fans registered with the ICC will be able to submit votes via the ICC website and will have a 10% share of the vote. Winners will be announced every second Monday of the month on the ICC’s digital channels.

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1067 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Roooooooooooooot

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Player of the Month?
    seriously?

Lol

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Mar 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    286 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Joe Root deserves to win

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Rishabh Pant should win it.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Venue
    Melbourne
    Runs
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What next now play of the fortnight. Don’t fix something which ain’t broken.

Debut
    Oct 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    521 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some tough competition to the Employee of the month concept.

Debut
    Nov 2011
    Venue
    Surrey
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muhammad Abbas for me

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    Roooooooooooooot
    Fawaaaaaaaaad

Debut
    Feb 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    653 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tim Paine & Ravi Ashwin should share this award

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of Root or Pant should win this.

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Venue
    PUNJAB
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Doesn't sound right without a sponsor.

Make it Dilbagh Pan Masala Player of the Month and go full cringey.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Cybertron, Guest of Optimus Prime
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Lets be honest. No Pakistani will ever win this so I couldnt care less.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the Great Khan View Post
    Lets be honest. No Pakistani will ever win this so I couldnt care less.

fans only contribute %10 of the voting, I think the ICC will share it around similar to the funds distribution model.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Based on fan vote. We know where this is going.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy View Post
    Based on fan vote. We know where this is going.
    Its being promoted as based on fan votes but that only makes up for 10% of the voting, selected voters have 90% of the decision.

Debut
    Aug 2009
    Venue
    Terrestrial
    Runs
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Its being promoted as based on fan votes but that only makes up for 10% of the voting, selected voters have 90% of the decision.
    That's more fair.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rizwan had a shout with his runs and excellent keeping in tests and that ODI knock.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    “Only” 10% is a lot. Usually you’ll have marginal calls between players by the selected voters.

35% Pant
    40% Root
    25% Ashwin

Can easily become

40% Pant
    30% Root
    30% Ashwin

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    The only time I can see a Pakistani winning is if the big three are not playing in the same month. Otherwise it will always be dominated by those three..these awards that the ICC create discriminate against Pakistan and have always done so. We have our own awards so thats all i care about.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2747 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The only time I can see a Pakistani winning is if the big three are not playing in the same month. Otherwise it will always be dominated by those three..these awards that the ICC create discriminate against Pakistan and have always done so. We have our own awards so thats all i care about.
    You are right.

This seems more like an Employee of the month thing! ICC's best friends win

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    This is such a cringe worthy idea.

Who came up with this and how did this go through!?!?

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Runs
    Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post

the ICC make up is generally full of Indians. So I suspect a typical young Indian whippersnapper trying to promote their cricket further as is their want. The kind of thing I expect from them tbh.

"lets get a player of the month. we'll win that too. india is winning yaayyy, jai hind, ve are theee besth"

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    ICC should partner with Baskin Robbins

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Whats next star performer of qtr?

Debut
    Dec 2008
    Venue
    Norway
    Runs
    Mentioned
    495 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    LOL funny this, ICC came just 11 years after me:

http://www.pakpassion.net/ppforum/sh...t=of+the+month

Ki Mohammad (saw) sey wafa tu ney tou hum terey hain
    Yeh jahaan cheez kya hai Loh-o-Qalam tere hain

Debut
    Sep 2019
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Whats next star performer of qtr?
    Ravi Shastri will sweep all Quarter Awards.

Virat, ABD, KP and Sir Viv.

Debut
    Oct 2012
    Venue
    Faisalabad.
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What next player of the week and then player of the day, even better player of the hour? What a farce.

Debut
    Jun 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad Alam

Debut
    Jan 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post

What is a memory sir jee... 10 year old post

Going down memory Lane.

'If you cant support us when we lose or draw then dont support us when we win"
    Bill Shankly

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Surprised to see that Dhoni has not been shortlisted.

Debut
    Apr 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    How does it discriminate Pakistan players?.

Debut
    Jul 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be a decent idea. In months where the bigger teams aren't playing but say there is a zimb v afg series it can give a welcome boost to a player from a lower ranked team.

Debut
    Feb 2015
    Venue
    Montreal, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    354 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post

Probably copied from the NBA.

Pakistan is that kid who never studies for his exams but is surprised when he fails.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    800 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IAJ View Post

Well done. What an idea sir jee.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2747 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    ICC PLAYER OF THE MONTH NOMINATIONS FOR JANUARY ANNOUNCED

• The ICC Men’s Player of the Month January Nominees: Rishabh Pant (IND), Joe Root (ENG) and Paul Stirling (IRE)
    • ICC Women’s Player of the Month January Nominees: Diana Baig (PAK), Shabnim Ismail (SA) and Marizanne Kapp (SA)

The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the nominees for the inaugural ICC Player of the Month Awards which recognise and celebrate the best performances from both male and female cricketers across all forms of international cricket throughout the year.

About the ICC Men’s Player of the Month January Nominees:

Rishabh Pant played two Tests against Australia where he scored a 97 at Sydney to ensure a draw before an unbeaten 89 at Brisbane that led India to a historic series win against arch-rivals Australia. England Captain Joe Root played two Tests against Sri Lanka, where he scored a 228 and 186 and led his team to a 2-0 Test series victory. The third nominee in the category, Ireland’s Paul Stirling played two ODIs v UAE and three ODIs v Afghanistan, where he scored three centuries.

About ICC Women’s Player of the Month January Nominees:

Diana Baig of Pakistan played three ODIs and two T20Is against South Africa, where she led the wicket-takers with nine wickets in the three-match ODI series against South Africa. South Africa’s Shabnim Ismail also played three ODIs and two T20Is against Pakistan and took seven wickets in the victorious ODI series against Pakistan, before taking five wickets in the second T20I against the same opposition. Her compatriot all-rounder Marizanne Kapp who is the third nominee in the category played two ODIs and two T20Is against Pakistan where she made 115 runs at a strike rate of 110.57 and added three wickets in the ODI series against Pakistan.

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I really don’t see how Pant won’t win this if you’re allowing the general public to be the tie-breaker. I would be surprised if any less than 10/12 months are won by Indians.

Personally speaking, though Pant played excellently, I feel Root deserves it more.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt any player will feel honoured to win player of month.. i just don’t see any value in it

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by globalcitizen View Post
    I doubt any player will feel honoured to win player of month.. i just don’t see any value in it
    It can be like NBA's player of the month. It might not mean much but it will give lesser known players motivation to perform.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2747 Post(s)
    Tagged
    21 Thread(s)
    The International Cricket Council (ICC) today announced the winners of the inaugural ICC Player of the Month Awards which recognize and celebrate the best performances from both male and female cricketers across all forms of international cricket throughout the year.

India’s Rishabh Pant won the ICC Men’s Player of the Month for January 2021 for his performances in the two Tests against Australia where he scored a 97 at Sydney and an unbeaten 89 at Brisbane that led India to a historic series win against arch-rivals Australia. South Africa’s Shabnim Ismail was named the ICC Women’s Player of the Month for January 2021 for her performances across three ODIs and two T20Is during the month. Ismail took seven wickets in the victorious ODI series against Pakistan, before taking five wickets in the second T20I against the same opposition.

Fans were treated to some sensational cricket during the month of January making the inaugural player of the month awards a highly competitive affair.

Commenting on Pant being awarded the inaugural ICC Men’s Player of the Month Award, Ramiz Raja representing the ICC Voting Academy said: “Both times Pant played under pressure in two different sets of challenges: to draw a game and to win a game. He showed his versatility of skills in both knocks, the clincher being his temperament.”

Commenting on Ismail’s inaugural ICC Women’s Player of the Month Award, Mpumelelo Mbangwa representing the ICC Voting Academy said: “Ismail reached a hundred T20I wickets in their series against Pakistan. She leads the way and is the first South African to reach the milestone. With her pace and aggression, she continues to lead the South African women’s team’s bowling attack admirably. She is a joy to watch in action.”

Reacting to her award win, Shabnim Ismail said: “Winning the ICC Women’s Player of the Month in January just shows that all the hard work I put in during the lockdown has paid off for me. This accolade would not have been possible if it were not for my teammates and I am grateful and thankful for all your support. Also, to all my fans and friends all around the world thank you very much for the vote, it really meant a lot to me. And lastly, a special thanks to also my family who have been there for me and supported me all through the way.”

Commenting on his award win Rishabh Pant said: “I am delighted to be receiving the inaugural ICC Men’s Player of the Month Award. For any sportsperson, contributing to a team win is the ultimate reward but such initiatives help motivate youngsters such as myself to do better each time. I dedicate this award to every member of Team India that contributed to our victory in Australia and also thank all my fans who voted for me.”

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    California, Lahore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1437 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderbolt14 View Post
    I really don’t see how Pant won’t win this if you’re allowing the general public to be the tie-breaker. I would be surprised if any less than 10/12 months are won by Indians.

Personally speaking, though Pant played excellently, I feel Root deserves it more.