Fawad Alam "I have never blamed anybody for the years I lost in international cricket"

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)

Fawad Alam "I have never blamed anybody for the years I lost in international cricket"

Fawad Alam in today's press conference:

The team needed this innings from me as we were under pressure after losing 4 early wickets. I just concentrated on spending time out there and trying to bat for a long time as the match is still wide open with both teams yet to bat for a second time.

It was a tough situation when we came out to bat today and the team needed a partnership to make things a bit easier for the batsmen that were still to come. Azhar’s and my plan was to get as close to the South African score as possible as we know we have to bat last on this track and so that we don’t have to chase a big total in the fourth innings.

It was amazing to score a Test century on my home ground especially at was my first ever Test match in Karachi. To score a Test 100 is a dream come true but to score it when your team really needs it was very special. I just applied myself. I had my heart set on playing a Test match in Karachi against South Africa and this was my Test debut in Pakistan and I had asked the Almighty to give me respect at my home venue and He did that.

Misbah has always encouraged me and after my performances in England they could have dropped me but they didn’t do that and they saw my potential. They gave me chances in New Zealand also and the management has given me a lot of support and you take that confidence to the crease with you and the concern of whether you will be picked for the next match is removed. Misbah has given me a lot of confidence and encouragement and these positives are what can lift you as a player and help you deliver as a player. As a player you want to deliver in every match and and not to worry about the past because people will only talk about your latest innings.

Younis Khan is a legend and he always gives the batsmen confidence He likes to listen to what a player has to say before offering his opinion. He always has time for the players and he looks at fine-tuning issues. He talks to the players at our level as if he is still a player which is a big help and the things he says are what we try to keep in our heads for future use.

I have never blamed anybody for the years I lost in international cricket. It was my destiny that I wouldn’t play. I just think that the Almighty had it planned for me that I wouldn’t play international cricket for a long time so I accepted that. I don’t see it as losing 10 years of my career and don’t concentrate on what I lost, rather I look forward to seeing what I can achieve in future. Whether those achievements are in international cricket or domestic cricket my focus is just to perform whenever I am playing cricket. I look at what I have achieved in domestic cricket in those missing 10 years and look at the records I broke and all the achievements; So these 10 years have not been a complete waste and I earned a lot of respect in that time.

I am not anybody to forgive those that kept me out of the team. Who am I to do that? I am a sinner so I should ask for my own forgiveness first. I thank those that had the belief in me and I don’t believe that the missing 10 years were a waste. Maybe I had not got as much respect as I have now if I had played international cricket during those 10 years where I wasn’t picked. Whatever is in your fate, nobody can take that away from you.

We were playing in a tour match in New Zealand and I was batting with Azhar Ali and we were discussing a scene from Ertugrul where one of the characters is riding a horse and in victory he lifts the horse. So Azhar said to me when you score a century you should copy this scene. So I remembered the discussion in New Zealand when I made the century and also today.

We are in a good position but it’s too early to say who will win. Another 30 or 40 runs would be very handy and will extend our lead and will give us the upper hand. The pitch is slow and it’s turning and the bounce is uneven. We stand a very good chance if we can get the lead to 140 or 150.
    Last edited by MenInG; 27th January 2021 at 22:31.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    US
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent attitude. His positivity is the key to his success.

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    6 Thread(s)
    Nice interview but he's kidding no one, he'll be seething inwardly that he wasn't give a fair crack at the international level. Especially considering the dross alternatives in Pakistan batting reserves.

I for one welcome our new In____ overlords - Kent Brockman

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Nice interview but he's kidding no one, he'll be seething inwardly that he wasn't give a fair crack at the international level. Especially considering the dross alternatives in Pakistan batting reserves.
    He lies good.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    He is not even sorry for throwing it away with a baby hundred and not converting it into a big innings, completely batting South Africa out of the match.

It sums up the mentality of Pakistani players and why we are where we are. We have no winning mentality and no competitive spirit.

Our batsmen do bhangra on the pitch after scoring a hundred while batsmen in top teams kick themselves after getting out for a small hundred because they believe they could do more.

While the likes of Fawad cut cakes to celebrate 109, batsmen in serious teams spend the evening wonder why they couldn’t convert that 109 into 209.

Unfortunately or fortunately, this attitude has rubbed onto the fans as well. They are celebrating the innings as if he broke some world record. It was a “good” innings at best.
    Last edited by MenInG; 27th January 2021 at 21:12.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You have to give credit to Fawad for coming out of this without showing any bitterness towards those who kept him out of the Pakistan team. Misbah was main the culprit behind his exclusion.

Pakistan would have been in a better place if we got rid of Misbah for good in 2013 following the shambolic display of leadership and batting during the 2013 tours of Zimbabwe and South Africa. This was the perfect time to bring in Fawad and have either him or Younis leading the test side.

We know what Misbah did to Mickey Arthur so there is no doubt that a man of his character would have gone above and beyond to keep Fawad out of the team, as he was a threat to his place in the side.

Misbah owes Fawad so he isn't going to drop him anytime soon during his coaching stint.
    Last edited by topspin; 27th January 2021 at 21:23.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Well done fawad great attitude and the best way to respond to the resident haters

Hes too humble to say it but Indeed hes missed out on 10 years Misbah n co should be ashamed

If pakistan cricket is to move forward they need to stop going back

Debut
    May 2010
    Venue
    Motown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    96 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Surprised people calling him a liar and saying his innings wasnít good enough. What about senior and experienced players like Azhar Ali who threw it away and still get a free ride in the team? Pathetic fans.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamoon View Post
    He is not even sorry for throwing it away with a baby hundred and not converting it into a big innings, completely batting South Africa out of the match.

It sums up the mentality of Pakistani players and why we are where we are. We have no winning mentality and no competitive spirit.

Our batsmen do bhangra on the pitch after scoring a hundred while batsmen in top teams kick themselves after getting out for a small hundred because they believe they could do more.

While the likes of Fawad cut cakes to celebrate 109, batsmen in serious teams spend the evening wonder why they couldnít convert that 109 into 209.

Unfortunately or fortunately, this attitude has rubbed onto the fans as well. They are celebrating the innings as if he broke some world record. It was a ďgoodĒ innings at best.
    Agree with this somewhat. He did this in NZ too. Got his 100, than throws away his wicket. Its like he just decides to quit after scoring a 100.

That 6 he hit to get his 100 was unnecessary. A little bit of spin and he could had been stumped there.

He tries to accelerate himself after the 100 to prove that he can hit boundaries thus add him in limited over.

Great innings today, but should not be throwing in away.

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Remarkable attitude. Just love his positivity and faith.

Hope he keeps his performances up. Him and Rizwan have been breath of fresh air in the team recently

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    The hundred moment for Fawad:

Debut
    Aug 2010
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1275 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Major View Post
    Agree with this somewhat. He did this in NZ too. Got his 100, than throws away his wicket. Its like he just decides to quit after scoring a 100.

That 6 he hit to get his 100 was unnecessary. A little bit of spin and he could had been stumped there.

He tries to accelerate himself after the 100 to prove that he can hit boundaries thus add him in limited over.

I remember Misbah getting to 100 in UAE 2015 vs ENG with a succession of big hits.

Amnesia isn't restricted to goldfishes I see.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Rishwat View Post
    Of course, he's only human. Regardless he's dealt with it professionally and kept his feelings from spilling out into the public sphere while continuing to rack up the runs.

We should be promoting his story as a good example to our cricketers in the faint hope that the Sami Aslam's of this world start feeling a bit of shame.

Debut
    May 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post
    I remember Misbah getting to 100 in UAE 2015 vs ENG with a succession of big hits.

Younis Khan would do it almost every time as well if a spinner was on. Hit a six to get to his 200 in England as well, 2016.

This isn't a rare thing at all and I've seen it a lot in. It's a calculated risk players take because a string of dots in the 90s can get to you and you end up losing your wicket.

Weird thing to criticize someone on.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well done Fawad...if only this was 27 January 2011.
    Life.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's difficult to perform remarkable individual feats when everyone around you is so mediocre.

Let everyone else start getting to 100 more often than once in a blue moon and i'm sure we'll see Fawad raise his game a bit more.

As it is it was a gritty 100 and showed more guts than anyone else in the side combined, including our so-called talented but mentally midgeted captain.

If Babar, Azhar or Abid learn to soak up the pressure and perform they'll start inspiring Fawad to do a bit more too.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2855 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    Maharaj about Fawad innings today:

"I dont think we were trying to hit his pads, but we saw that he does flick the ball in the air, and there were some opportunities that presented themselves where the ball landed in no man's land; There were a few catches put down and some half chances but I guess he composed himself and played well - we now have to come up with a plan for him in the 2nd innings and obviously for the 2nd Test match"

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't seen a player been so humble after he was deprived 10 long years. Really I didn't see a single sentence in the past in any of his interview where he blamed anybody. I follow his every interview being a fan. That's rare. That's why he has own hearts of every one across the globe except some sour hearted ill motived haters. We should just ignore those very few haters.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post

Fawad Alam in today's press conference:

The team needed this innings from me as we were under pressure after losing 4 early wickets. I just concentrated on spending time out there and trying to bat for a long time as the match is still wide open with both teams yet to bat for a second time.

It was a tough situation when we came out to bat today and the team needed a partnership to make things a bit easier for the batsmen that were still to come. Azhar’s and my plan was to get as close to the South African score as possible as we know we have to bat last on this track and so that we don’t have to chase a big total in the fourth innings.

It was amazing to score a Test century on my home ground especially at was my first ever Test match in Karachi. To score a Test 100 is a dream come true but to score it when your team really needs it was very special. I just applied myself. I had my heart set on playing a Test match in Karachi against South Africa and this was my Test debut in Pakistan and I had asked the Almighty to give me respect at my home venue and He did that.

Misbah has always encouraged me and after my performances in England they could have dropped me but they didn’t do that and they saw my potential. They gave me chances in New Zealand also and the management has given me a lot of support and you take that confidence to the crease with you and the concern of whether you will be picked for the next match is removed. Misbah has given me a lot of confidence and encouragement and these positives are what can lift you as a player and help you deliver as a player. As a player you want to deliver in every match and and not to worry about the past because people will only talk about your latest innings.

Younis Khan is a legend and he always gives the batsmen confidence He likes to listen to what a player has to say before offering his opinion. He always has time for the players and he looks at fine-tuning issues. He talks to the players at our level as if he is still a player which is a big help and the things he says are what we try to keep in our heads for future use.

I have never blamed anybody for the years I lost in international cricket. It was my destiny that I wouldn’t play. I just think that the Almighty had it planned for me that I wouldn’t play international cricket for a long time so I accepted that. I don’t see it as losing 10 years of my career and don’t concentrate on what I lost, rather I look forward to seeing what I can achieve in future. Whether those achievements are in international cricket or domestic cricket my focus is just to perform whenever I am playing cricket. I look at what I have achieved in domestic cricket in those missing 10 years and look at the records I broke and all the achievements; So these 10 years have not been a complete waste and I earned a lot of respect in that time.

I am not anybody to forgive those that kept me out of the team. Who am I to do that? I am a sinner so I should ask for my own forgiveness first. I thank those that had the belief in me and I don’t believe that the missing 10 years were a waste. Maybe I had not got as much respect as I have now if I had played international cricket during those 10 years where I wasn’t picked. Whatever is in your fate, nobody can take that away from you.

We were playing in a tour match in New Zealand and I was batting with Azhar Ali and we were discussing a scene from Ertugrul where one of the characters is riding a horse and in victory he lifts the horse. So Azhar said to me when you score a century you should copy this scene. So I remembered the discussion in New Zealand when I made the century and also today.

We are in a good position but it’s too early to say who will win. Another 30 or 40 runs would be very handy and will extend our lead and will give us the upper hand. The pitch is slow and it’s turning and the bounce is uneven. We stand a very good chance if we can get the lead to 140 or 150.
    What an excellent press conference showing his maturity in spite of the injustice done to him by PCB.

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainul View Post
    I haven't seen a player been so humble after he was deprived 10 long years. Really I didn't see a single sentence in the past in any of his interview where he blamed anybody. I follow his every interview being a fan. That's rare. That's why he has own hearts of every one across the globe except some sour hearted ill motived haters. We should just ignore those very few haters.
    So well said !!

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i am happy to see fawad alam keeping a positive attitude despite clear injustice meted out to him. also happy to see him achieving success at the top level because it will confirm to him that he belonged at the highest level; that his effort did not go in vain. more importantly, this attitude will serve him well when his cricketing career is behind him which sadly is not far away. his attitude will bring him fulfillment in his post cricketing life. by all accounts he seems a decent person and pcb should find a way to utilize him post retirement. pak cricket will not progress until fawad alam rather than amir is promoted as a role model.

but while fawad alam is willing to forgive, as pak cricket supporters we should not overlook this egregious miscarriage of justice. and this issue is not limited to fawad alam only. there are others as well. players like aizaz cheema and sohail khan who kept putting up the numbers season after season and yet were overlooked for reasons only known to pcb. when given a chance these players have delivered more often than not. we also have the case of sami aslam who is a clear victim of nepotism and whose presence would have bolstered pak batting.

all teams experience ups and down when it comes to talent pool. but it is unforgivable not to make best use of whats at hand. both players and supporters deserve nothing less and pcb's feet should be held to fire.

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I clearly remember after scoring gutsy hundred in 2nd innings in NZ he said it was always more important to score in first innings (O my goodness, I always knew and heard that a player's calibre as a test batsman is judged by how successful via in the 2nd innings) . Now he says that why he threw away after scoring a hundred
    Last edited by Saj; 27th January 2021 at 23:22.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by burger_uno View Post
    i am happy to see fawad alam keeping a positive attitude despite clear injustice meted out to him. also happy to see him achieving success at the top level because it will confirm to him that he belonged at the highest level; that his effort did not go in vain. more importantly, this attitude will serve him well when his cricketing career is behind him which sadly is not far away. his attitude will bring him fulfillment in his post cricketing life. by all accounts he seems a decent person and pcb should find a way to utilize him post retirement. pak cricket will not progress until fawad alam rather than amir is promoted as a role model.

but while fawad alam is willing to forgive, as pak cricket supporters we should not overlook this egregious miscarriage of justice. and this issue is not limited to fawad alam only. there are others as well. players like aizaz cheema and sohail khan who kept putting up the numbers season after season and yet were overlooked for reasons only known to pcb. when given a chance these players have delivered more often than not. we also have the case of sami aslam who is a clear victim of nepotism and whose presence would have bolstered pak batting.

all teams experience ups and down when it comes to talent pool. but it is unforgivable not to make best use of whats at hand. both players and supporters deserve nothing less and pcb's feet should be held to fire.
    Even in 2007-2010, also for a few years later when Fawad played...he was comfortably the best fielder in Pakistan. He isn’t as sharp as he used to be back then, naturally. But I think this guy has become a good cricketer by simply making sure that he does the basics correct in all three facets.

So yes, the potential to be an assistant coach is there. He will never be accepted by the management or fans as a head coach type person, but he can definitely be useful as a fielding and potentially a batting coach. Intelligent guy as well.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Just nailed it ��.
    Yes, I clearly remember after scoring gutsy hundred in 2nd innings in NZ he said it was always more important to score in first innings (O my goodness, I always knew and heard that a player's calibre as a test batsman is judged by how successful via in the 2nd innings) . Now he says that why he threw away after scoring a hundred
    Runs in second innings is the most overrated metric in Test cricket because the vast majority of Tests are decided in the first innings of both teams.

People are fixated with runs in second innings because the pitch deteriorates, but there is no point in scoring runs in difficult conditions when the match is already pretty much decided.

It is rare for teams to chase 300+ totals in Test cricket. When it comes off like it did for India at the Gabba it is great, but more often than not, first innings runs are more influential.

A batsman who averages 50 in the first innings and 30 in the second innings will win more matches for his team in the long run than someone with inverse averages.

In that context, this innings by Fawad was certainly his best and better than the useless stats-padding in New Zealand, but it was not a great innings because he had the opportunity to extend the lead further and put the game completely beyond South Africa, but he failed to do that.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    355 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also I don’t think he threw it away. It was a soft dismissal but it wasn’t as if he was trying to muscle it out of the park like Flintoff. I would never say that a batsman has done his job, but he did do a fantastic job to build 3 crucial partnerships for Pakistan in this innings,

1. With Azhar Ali
    2. With Mohammad Rizwan
    3. With Faheem Ashraf

We play as a team and not individuals, and partnerships are the need of the hour, not individual brilliance.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    It is funny when Fawad fans talk about nepotism. The reality is that Fawad himself would not have made it in professional cricket if it was not for nepotism.

If his father was not Tariq Alam, a respected and reputed FC cricketer from Karachi, Fawad would have never had a break.

Someone with his technique and playing style would not pass a single trial anywhere in Pakistan.

In trials and talent hunts etc. you only get a few balls to impress, and only aesthetically pleasing batsmen and bowlers with good pace are selected.

He got a chance in junior cricket and later FC cricket because of his father.

The moral of the story is that nepotism is not a problem when it provides opportunities to the right person.

While Fawad is an average international cricketer, he is a brilliant domestic cricketer and he would not have had the chance to shine in domestic cricket without his fatherís connections.

Debut
    Feb 2011
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    357 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)

Misbah was the king of "small hundreds", this is as ironic as it gets.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I've also heard rumours in the past that this same nepotism has infact cost him at international level.

Stories, circling around back in the day, due to some sort of tiff between Tariq Alam and Imran Farhat's father in law, who was a chief selector at the time, he was deliberately kept out.

However, these stories might not be all that plausible, but given PCB track record in running its affairs (remember Ijaz Butt) and player management over the years, its not that hard to believe.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    No batsman should ever go down the wicket then because that risk will remain. If you’re looking at everything in a vacuum, that is.

Made 9 off 25 after reaching his hundred.

He flicked a ball toward mid-wicket but couldn’t keep it down. That’s hardly throwing it away. It was a misjudgment, not a wild hoick skied to a boundary rider.

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Venue
    Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is funny when Fawad fans talk about nepotism. The reality is that Fawad himself would not have made it in professional cricket if it was not for nepotism.

If his father was not Tariq Alam, a respected and reputed FC cricketer from Karachi, Fawad would have never had a break.

Someone with his technique and playing style would not pass a single trial anywhere in Pakistan.

In trials and talent hunts etc. you only get a few balls to impress, and only aesthetically pleasing batsmen and bowlers with good pace are selected.

The moral of the story is that nepotism is not a problem when it provides opportunities to the right person.

While Fawad is an average international cricketer, he is a brilliant domestic cricketer and he would not have had the chance to shine in domestic cricket without his fatherís connections.
    Is there anyone you donít have a gripe with?

Debut
    Jan 2007
    Venue
    Toronto, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    Well done Fawad...if only this was 27 January 2011.
    Life.
    Its the system in Pakistan which failed a player of Fawad's talent and caliber. !!

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great innings - and that six to get to his 100. What an example of a player putting team before personal milestone.

I particularly like the fact that he didn’t relax and batted another half an hour or so after reaching the ton. Unlucky dismissal.

I shudder to think how many centuries he would have scored during the 7 years in the UAE

Debut
    Jul 2012
    Venue
    UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If I was Fawadís coach, I would tell him that next time you score a 100, make sure it is a 150.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2220 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    There are some former selectors and captains who should be ashamed of themselves.

The fact is Fawad's best years are probably gone and lost to Pakistan cricket.

Debut
    Mar 2010
    Venue
    Younistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    309 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nepotism!

This man has a 55+ avg in domestics with 12K FC runs.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismailtoca View Post

Nepotism!

Read my post again.

He would not have played professional grade cricket in the first place if he didnít have connections.

I am not talking about his international selection.

A batsman of his batting style and aesthetics will not get picked in a single trail or talent hunt program.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the likes of Fawad cut cakes to celebrate 109, batsmen in serious teams spend the evening wonder why they couldn’t convert that 109 into 209.

Unfortunately or fortunately, this attitude has rubbed onto the fans as well. They are celebrating the innings as if he broke some world record. It was a “good” innings at best.
    I agree that we are lacking on bigger conversions, but considering how poor our test side is, we'd be lucky to see some of our batsmen cross the 50 mark, which is why fans liked the knock.

It might have been a "good" innings at best, but considering how consistent our team puts up poor performances, it was a rare moment to enjoy.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Read my post again.

He would not have played professional grade cricket in the first place if he didnít have connections.

I am not talking about his international selection.

A batsman of his batting style and aesthetics will not get picked in a single trail or talent hunt program.
    Trial*

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Another issue is that Fawad supporters find themselves in a very convenient position where they have got both sides covered.

If he fails over the next couple of years, they will say that PCB wasted his peak years and picked him at the age of 35 when he was on his last legs.

If he doesnít fail, they will continue to praise him.

Fawad actually is under no pressure at all at this stage when you consider the above. There is a ready-made excuse/justification should he fail.

Debut
    Aug 2013
    Venue
    place
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1013 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahdi View Post
    Younis Khan would do it almost every time as well if a spinner was on. Hit a six to get to his 200 in England as well, 2016.

This isn't a rare thing at all and I've seen it a lot in. It's a calculated risk players take because a string of dots in the 90s can get to you and you end up losing your wicket.

Weird thing to criticize someone on.
    that ball spun abit more, trust me, people would had been bashing him for throwing it away.

It was an unnecessary risk by him.

Good innings, but he throws it away after 100. Expect more from him

"Life is Pain"
    ~House~

Debut
    Feb 2005
    Runs
    Mentioned
    165 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that ball spun abit more, trust me, people would had been bashing him for throwing it away.

It was an unnecessary risk by him.

Good innings, but he throws it away after 100. Expect more from him
    How many more years do we have to wait?
    How many more games of cricket do you have to see?

Sometimes it's best to just accept that it was a very nice interview and he played a very very good innings. If he had gotten out on 99 going for a six then by all means complain about the shot.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    You have to question his mentality. It appears that he is solely focused on personal milestones and proving that he deserved selection all these years rather than trying to help the team.

He has now twice switched off after scoring a hundred and got out to nothing deliveries.

It seems that he loses his focus after getting a milestone.

There is no excuse for a 160+ match veteran with 12k FC runs to zone out in this fashion.

But the issue is that Pakistan is not a serious team with serious fans. The team would rather cut cakes and the fans would rather create tribute threads instead of questioning the players for leaving the job half-done.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    He played really well. Happy for him after years of hardwork.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by offstump View Post
    Is there anyone you don’t have a gripe with?
    Yes anyone that is not Pakiatani

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mamoon will do a bhangra when an Indian player scores a 50 but has a problem with Pakistan fans doing a bhangra when Fawad scores a hundred. Talk about double standards

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While Fawad is an average international cricketer, he is a brilliant domestic cricketer and he would not have had the chance to shine in domestic cricket without his father’s connections.
    This is 100% true because Mamoon knows and has known the Alam family since Tariq Alam was in his diapers.

In fact, there was so much nepotism involved that everyone in Junior cricket and domestic cricket used to bowl under arm to Fawad Alam. That is the only he could have averaged 55 in first class cricket.

Thank you for bringing this to light. You're the last remaining honest patriots of this country

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad is literally an inspiration. The guy's attitude is beyond amazing. To be so consistently hard done despite having the third highest FC average (behind Steve Smith and Hanuma Vihari) and still not make excuses or blame anyone shows his character.

He could have easily gone on a tirade against his "haters" like Imam, or blame people like Amir, or dwell on the lost years. Instead he's just interested in making the most of the chances he has now. The guy is all class. I wish we had more players with such character.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are some former selectors and captains who should be ashamed of themselves.

TBH the media only jumped on this bandwagon in the last couple of years. And the credit for that goes to Wasim Akram, Rashid Latif and Shoaib Akhtar as they would bring him up regularly on their PTV show.

No one from here ever really stood up for him during his prime. There was silence when Yousuf threw him out of the squad mid-tour and replaced him with Faisal Iqbal and other friends.

Debut
    Oct 2015
    Venue
    Andromeda
    Runs
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ismailtoca View Post

Nepotism!

That's because when Fawad Alam came to bat in FC cricket, the opposition bowlers immediately started bowling half volleys to him.

Someone check maybe SA attack has underground ties with Fawad Alam's extensive family.

Some people are just unable to give credit where it's due

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Venue
    London, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Markhor View Post

Pretty much nailed it here.

@Major even if Fawad was the king of small hundreds, just remember your hero's conversion rate from 50 to 100 was a poultry 20%

In ODIs it was 0% because he couldn't convert a single 50 to a ton.

Stones should not be thrown by those who live in glass houses.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyG View Post
    TBH the media only jumped on this bandwagon in the last couple of years. And the credit for that goes to Wasim Akram, Rashid Latif and Shoaib Akhtar as they would bring him up regularly on their PTV show.

No one from here ever really stood up for him during his prime. There was silence when Yousuf threw him out of the squad mid-tour and replaced him with Faisal Iqbal and other friends.
    Your wrong Theres been several dedicated threads on pp for the last few years on fawad n his non selection - a lot of noise has been made

Many a times saj was requested to bring the reasoning up on interviews to captains n coaches

For some reason it was always a lack of noise on him by players n the pakistan cricket fraternity not pak passioners who were very vocal n wanted him in the team
    Last edited by Zaz; 28th January 2021 at 03:36.

Debut
    Sep 2007
    Venue
    Unknown
    Runs
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He was rightfully dropped back in the day. He had a horrendous time clearing the inner circle.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UP View Post
    He was rightfully dropped back in the day. He had a horrendous time clearing the inner circle.
    Didn't know we were playing T10.

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RickyG View Post

Not really. There were plenty of people who made alot of noise. Chief-selectors were routinely asked why he wasn't in the squad in press conferences. Print media regularly highlighted his non-selection. Fans made probably the most noise post-2017, especially on social media.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2629 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    I feel very conflicted about Fawad Alam.

First and foremost, you have to admire his attitude and his guts. Just remarkable!

Secondly, that is now two hundreds in 8 innings since his comeback. He hasnít got the consistency he had as a younger man, but he shows enough to make it obvious that itís criminal that Misbah was selected ahead of him 2011-2017 and that Asad Shafiq was preferred too.

He is remarkably forgiving towards Misbah, considering that itís Misbah who ruined Fawadís career.

Debut
    Dec 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, Fawad got to his 100 in the 90th over with the score on 242. He got out in the 98th over where the score had progressed to 278. Thatís 8 overs and 36 runs later, yet heís still getting accused of throwing his wicket away as soon as he got to his century.

I know some posters are a bit needy and cry for attention, but pick and choose your moments! You look daft in these scenarios. Think of something new, get creative!

Debut
    Dec 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Great attitude. Played a gutsy innings yesterday with couple of big sixes in his 80s and 90s. I never liked his stance or his ugly technique, but there is life in cricket beyond coaching manuals. Just proves that you can make anything work if you want it badly. He may flop in SENA countries, but I would take him anyday if he can help us win test matches in Pakistan. Only trouble is that he is 36 and should be nowhere near this team, but if this helps restore the faith of players and public in our domestic system, then you have my blessings. Well played, Fawad!

Debut
    Jul 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad is 35 and supremely fit. When it comes to determination I doubt there is anyone in the side as determined as him because no one has more of a chip on their shoulder than him. If he can keep playing with the same grit and tenacity and maintain his fitness, he can easily have a very good 4-5 year career.

Debut
    Apr 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7431 Post(s)
    Tagged
    20 Thread(s)
    If Misbah, Hafeez and YK can all play beyond 40, there's no reason why Fawad can't. He's clearly a superior athlete than all of them. He can easily go on and play 50 Tests and have a great career!

Debut
    Jun 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Think most people are celebrating Fawad Alam and not exactly his century, and for the right reasons. It's always good to see a hardworking man getting his dues, esp. when lot of average players around him got the opportunity to represent Pakistan and not him. And under no circumstances ever, a batsman who scored 109 in a game when the next best score wasn't even 75 from either side, should be sorry about his inning. Well played Fawad!

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Good inns from fawad after we were 27/4. Best part of inns was where he dug in when he was on 50 and didnt score to many runs for a while but didnt throw it away like Azhar.

Nothing wrong with going to a mile stone with a 6.

Seems like indian fan pretending to be a pakistani is crying again and deciding to nitpick. Carry on doing bhangra over indias win in Australia. Pakistan fans will just enjoy watching their team play fot now. Am sure ul start nit picking again about something else in this game shortly.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Runs
    Mentioned
    613 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    so its either nothing or 100.

It is either a heartache or a headache ..Argh relationships.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadeemp View Post
    Mamoon
    You are arguing for the sake of arguing. Or just trolling. Nobody here is calling Fawad alam the next bradman. But you have to tip the hat to him.
    Tip my hat to someone who is averaging a mere 37 post comeback in spite of 160+ FC matches and 12k runs?

Australia selected Voges at 35 and he averaged 60. Anything below an average of 50 would not be good enough here considering his experience and record in FC cricket.

If he is going of limp and hop his way to an average of 35-40, there is no point in selecting him because you can find younger batsmen who can do a similar job.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happydavy View Post
    Think most people are celebrating Fawad Alam and not exactly his century, and for the right reasons. It's always good to see a hardworking man getting his dues, esp. when lot of average players around him got the opportunity to represent Pakistan and not him. And under no circumstances ever, a batsman who scored 109 in a game when the next best score wasn't even 75 from either side, should be sorry about his inning. Well played Fawad!
    Celebrate what? He is 35 years old, he has 160 FC matches with 12k runs at an average of 55.

And he is averaging 37, not 67. He has been nothing special at all.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Fawad averaged 10 against England and 32 against New Zealand, and our fans are acting that he has cured cancer.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad averaged 10 against England and 32 against New Zealand, and our fans are acting that he has cured cancer.
    He played two innings against England. 3 if you count his 0 not out.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    He played two innings against England. 3 if you count his 0 not out.
    It doesnít matter. He was rubbish in England and he was also rubbish in 3 out of 4 innings in New Zealand.

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn’t matter. He was rubbish in England and he was also rubbish in 3 out of 4 innings in New Zealand.
    Sure, but is that not a small sample size? Not to mention how much pressure he must have been considering he was out of the team for 10 years.

This guy was robbed of a career by PCB. He deserves a fair run.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7454 Post(s)
    Tagged
    38 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gharib Aadmi View Post
    Sure, but is that not a small sample size? Not to mention how much pressure he must have been considering he was out of the team for 10 years.

This guy was robbed of a career by PCB. He deserves a fair run.
    There is actually no pressure on him. If he fails, he and his fans will say that he was not given a chance in his prime years and he is too old now.

Debut
    Jan 2009
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    He and many posters here have been vindicated and its a fact now he shouldve been in the test team years ago

Misbah is the main culprit behind this and its funny to see fawad potentially has saved him his job Karma for you

Debut
    Oct 2018
    Venue
    Earth
    Runs
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is actually no pressure on him. If he fails, he and his fans will say that he was not given a chance in his prime years and he is too old now.
    His fans will say that (rightfully so), however for him this is his livelihood. You dont make much on domestics. He performs well, its possible he can play tests for the next 3, 4 years, and earn some deceny money. Which might get him a contract as a coach or go into broadcasting after he is done playing. Take him and his family into the upper middle class.

He fails and he is stuck in the middle class, or lower for the rest of his life. And being middle class in Pakistan is not that good.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    When did any act like he had cured cancer, do you even think before you post some of the nonsense that you do?

Debut
    Feb 2014
    Venue
    Dhaka, Bangladesh
    Runs
    Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Runs in second innings is the most overrated metric in Test cricket because the vast majority of Tests are decided in the first innings of both teams.

People are fixated with runs in second innings because the pitch deteriorates, but there is no point in scoring runs in difficult conditions when the match is already pretty much decided.

It is rare for teams to chase 300+ totals in Test cricket. When it comes off like it did for India at the Gabba it is great, but more often than not, first innings runs are more influential.

A batsman who averages 50 in the first innings and 30 in the second innings will win more matches for his team in the long run than someone with inverse averages.

In that context, this innings by Fawad was certainly his best and better than the useless stats-padding in New Zealand, but it was not a great innings because he had the opportunity to extend the lead further and put the game completely beyond South Africa, but he failed to do that.
    2nd innings of a player is not always the 4th innings, it may also the 3rd innings of the match . In many many cases the 3rd innings becomes the deciding factor of the match especially when the two scores of the first innings of both team is not so contrast. For example if SA can score 400 in this innings by virtue of stellar performance of any two of their batsmen then it can be the deciding innings if Pakistan can't chase down 250. If Pakistan is to chase down 250,then good performance in respective 2nd innings of a batsman will be needed.

Yes, if a team scores too low in first innings and the opposition scores very big in their first ,then the first innings will be the deciding factor. But it is usually seen in case of two teams of contrasting difference in strengths. Still in that case the bowlers will get the credit of bowling out the opposition for low score. The dominating team's batsmen will then bat without any pressure and without any demons in the pitch in their first innings.

But in the third or fourth innings of a test match (which is the second innings of any team) there is a pressure of setting a target for chasing a target. The pitch deteriorates. These two factors combined make the life of batsman difficult. That's why the performance of 2nd innings in most cases become the paramount factor.

Fawad did his part brilliantly in the second innings against New Zealand and Pakistan could easily draw the test match. But could not only due to the the very very inefficient and rubbish batting off they are lower order. If the lower orders with 4 wickets can't see off just 15 overs it's not his fault. if Pakistan could draw the test match still Fawad would have been the hero. Fawad should be given credit for his resilent batting.He was just coming back after a long long time, he had the fear of losing place
    in the team (he is not blessed as shafiq),still he took all the responsibility on his shoulder along with Rizwan and made a hundred in second innings on New Zealand soil. On any day on any universe it is a heroic act. Just look at this test match. Fawad scored hundred in first innings, lohar order contributed as any top tier team. And Pakistan court take a lead of 150. The base was founded by largely Fawad, then Faheem,Azhar ,Rizwan

If one can come out of personal disliking or any grudge then he should be able to see how Fawad has been performing very good.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You seem to raise the bar higher for your comfort just to undermine the players. A lot of Yahya Hussaini in you.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Tip my hat to someone who is averaging a mere 37 post comeback in spite of 160+ FC matches and 12k runs?

Australia selected Voges at 35 and he averaged 60. Anything below an average of 50 would not be good enough here considering his experience and record in FC cricket.

If he is going of limp and hop his way to an average of 35-40, there is no point in selecting him because you can find younger batsmen who can do a similar job.
    What was Chris Rogers averaging 5 tests into his comeback?

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While the likes of Fawad cut cakes to celebrate 109, batsmen in serious teams spend the evening wonder why they couldnít convert that 109 into 209.

Unfortunately or fortunately, this attitude has rubbed onto the fans as well. They are celebrating the innings as if he broke some world record. It was a ďgoodĒ innings at best.
    Cut him some slack. As Rashid Latif says, Fawad relies on concentrating very hard. There are some limits to humans concentrating for so long. The fact that he hit a six to reach hundred, should tell you that he had already reached his limit before century. He is a lower middle order batsman so him scoring a century in the first inning is more than enough.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Does Misbah make it to the list? He is still the one who brought him into the team last year.
    Inzamam, Mohsin Khan, Ilyas, Whatmore, Sarfraz, Mickey are definitely in that list.

Debut
    Mar 2004
    Venue
    Manchester, UK
    Runs
    Mentioned
    674 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If Fawads hundred helps pakistan win this test match then its job done and the haters can go into hiding. from 27/4 to 378 was mainly due to fawads effort. I know a certain individual on here was hoping that pakistan would get bowler out for 36 so they could push their Indian agenda as usual.

Since Fawads return to teams hes done a good honest job with the bat.

Debut
    Jan 2021
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fawad Alam is 35 years old. Misbah played till he was 43. So Fawad can play for seven or eight more years. On average Pakistan plays seven tests per year. So he can play 40-45 tests further. If he is able to maintain this performance and retires with 50-odd tests and 50+ plus average, he can leave his mark on Pakistani cricket history.