"Younis Khan really motivated me and gave me a target for reducing my weight" : Yasir Shah

Sohail Speaks Yasir's Blog Fazeer's Focus

User Tag List

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)

"Younis Khan really motivated me and gave me a target for reducing my weight" : Yasir Shah

Yasir Shah speaking to the media:

"Its good if you have a quality spinner bowling alongside you, where we would each chip in with 1-2 wickets each as I used to do with Zulfiqar Babar; So in the same way that Nauman is bowling really well here; Whilst he has been bowling well in domestic cricket, the fact is that a player always gets nervous in his debut; But, Nauman has shown no sign of nerves and bowled well so we make a good pair; Sajid Khan may be sitting out this game but he is a good spinner, and has good variations which is good for Pakistan cricket and its good to see good performers in the side"

"We will do our best to come out tomorrow and get South Africa out as soon possible; It would be good for us to win this Test match and the series as we havent won a Test series in recent times - so we will put in our best efforts to win this series"

"I went in to bat at number 11 and it was my desire to stay at the crease for as long as I could and play alongside Nauman who was playing well; Younis Bhai always tells me that because I have scored a Test hundred then I need to challenge myself to play like that again, and do the same in bowling too; So I was trying to concentrate on my batting and when I came to the ground, I did some practice and also did a fair amount of work in the nets in the past few days too; Younis Bhai is always advising the players who come lower down the order as the runs they score are important for the team"

"I am trying to regain my rhythm and as you have seen, I topped the bowling for Pakistan where I got most wickets for my side; In New Zealand, I played one Test and took 3 wickets; So I have been performing well but obviously not in the way where I was taking 5-10 wickets in a game; I have worked hard on my fitness for this series where I have reduced 3-4 Kgs; In this regard, Younis Bhai has really motivated me, where he gave me a target for reducing my weight; So I have fulfilled the commitment I made to him, and you must be seeing that difference in my bowling as well as in my fielding"

"I speak to Mushy bhai about my bowling and also speak to Shane Warne via Twitter on the same matter; Saqlain Bhai has motivated me a lot when he was with us for 5 days"

"Compared to the first innings, there seems to more bounce now and its breaking as well - the pitch was comparatively a little slow in the first innings"

"You cannot take any player easy and their captain and others are still there; We will hope to bowl in the right places and get them out on as low a score as possible"

"Aiden Makram played well today against spin; Last time I played against him in South Africa, there wasnt much spin in the wicket as it supported fast-bowlers"

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    Kashmir
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1382 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Love you yas
    I hope u get 400 test wickets

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    508 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Lol so what are the PCB fitness trainers and nutritional staff really doing if a player is overweight and not fit? Also does Yasir really need YK to tell him the obvious? As a professional your fitness, your nutritional intake especially if you have been playing for the national side for a good 7 years is on you.

The PCB sadly likes to talk a lot but we all know that the players are allowed to get away with not being 100% fit. In contrast our neighbours have a zero tolerance policy for this nonsense no matter how good you are as a player with your skills.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    3 to 4 kg...haha. He is lying.
    Last edited by The Viper; 29th January 2021 at 00:38.

Debut
    Nov 2005
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    583 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Why does a professional cricketer need to be told to get fit. The lack of professionalism is mind boggling

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Feb 2009
    Venue
    Bangalore
    Runs
    Mentioned
    401 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not the first time that someone who's done well has thanked YK.
    What a legend

“My soul is from elsewhere, I'm sure of that, and I intend to end up there.”

― Rumi

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to hear that YK has helped the lower order/tail add to the tally of the runs. Guess we can say that our lower order batsmen have gradually improved their defensive game.

Not worth commenting on the weight thing and Yasir too should have realised the buffoon he came across as by mentioning it.

At the end of the day, Younus should not be judged on the marginal improvements of the tailenders alone. The fact that the openers have gone from poor to mediocre to abysmal in the span of three series is more worrying.

That and trying to teach Babar how to read spin out of the hand. Can't really teach him how to play it though... YK's own "technique" was based upon his reach/elasticity and was more or less singular to himself. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone, not even my own kids.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Savak View Post
    Lol so what are the PCB fitness trainers and nutritional staff really doing if a player is overweight and not fit? Also does Yasir really need YK to tell him the obvious? As a professional your fitness, your nutritional intake especially if you have been playing for the national side for a good 7 years is on you.

The PCB sadly likes to talk a lot but we all know that the players are allowed to get away with not being 100% fit. In contrast our neighbours have a zero tolerance policy for this nonsense no matter how good you are as a player with your skills.
    To be fair, it took one Kohli to inspire Indian cricketers. YK can do the same. And YK, Misbah, even Moyo have terrific fitness for their age.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yk313 View Post
    Good to hear that YK has helped the lower order/tail add to the tally of the runs. Guess we can say that our lower order batsmen have gradually improved their defensive game.

Not worth commenting on the weight thing and Yasir too should have realised the buffoon he came across as by mentioning it.

At the end of the day, Younus should not be judged on the marginal improvements of the tailenders alone. The fact that the openers have gone from poor to mediocre to abysmal in the span of three series is more worrying.

That and trying to teach Babar how to read spin out of the hand. Can't really teach him how to play it though... YK's own "technique" was based upon his reach/elasticity and was more or less singular to himself. Wouldn't recommend that to anyone, not even my own kids.
    I agree, our lower order has improved a lot in regards to batting. It's always good to have a tail which can combined put together about 50-60 runs consistently, it improves your chances of making higher targets.

Yasir is a great spinner, he just needs to make sure that he is fit and confident.

A confident Yasir Shah can run through oppositions like a knife through butter. I back him to take a 5fer here and really get in the groove of test cricket again. We have a lot of home series coming up, and he should make sure that he is fit and in good form.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    Why did he need Younis Khan to tell him to lose some weight, when as a professional sportsman he should know what his weight should be and what he should and should not be eating.

Was he not taking note of the advice of the PCB fitness trainers or dieticians (if we have them).

This sort of thing really lets our players down.
    Last edited by Saj; 29th January 2021 at 02:07.

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common practice for all pakistani cricketers to thank the supporting staff for everything. At every single presentation ceremony, you would hear our guys say "the coaching staff supported me a lot. They did hard work with me blah blah..."

This is actually something that the players are instructed to say to make the management look good and for it to keep their jobs. Typically desi mentality.

Debut
    Jun 2008
    Venue
    Moscow, Russia
    Runs
    Mentioned
    639 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saj View Post
    Why did he need Younis Khan to tell him to lose some weight, when as a professional sportsman he should know what his weight should be and what he should and should not be eating.

Was he not taking note of the advice of the PCB fitness trainers or dieticians (if we have them).

This sort of thing really lets our players down.
    By looking at him you wouldn't think he has lost anything at all as he still has that belly like he always did as Haris Sohail and to a little extent Azhar Ali.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Common practice for all pakistani cricketers to thank the supporting staff for everything. At every single presentation ceremony, you would hear our guys say "the coaching staff supported me a lot. They did hard work with me blah blah..."

This is actually something that the players are instructed to say to make the management look good and for it to keep their jobs. Typically desi mentality.
    Indeed, but i noticed no mention of Misbah bhai in this passage which is interesting.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a category A player to need a newer coach to inspire him to do so...mind boggling.

Have some of paks players been in a bubble because of being in the UAE for so long? Comes across complacent, and for the management prior.

Appreciate Pak salaries are not internationally competitive but still

Debut
    Nov 2007
    Runs
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewal Express View Post
    Why does a professional cricketer need to be told to get fit. The lack of professionalism is mind boggling
    Strange indeed.

Could understand it if it was someone starting out in the game but Shah is 34. And he’s admitting to it as if it’s something to be proud about.

Debut
    Nov 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Everyone wants to get onto Younis Khans good books

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UzmanBeast View Post
    I agree, our lower order has improved a lot in regards to batting. It's always good to have a tail which can combined put together about 50-60 runs consistently, it improves your chances of making higher targets.

Yasir is a great spinner, he just needs to make sure that he is fit and confident.

A confident Yasir Shah can run through oppositions like a knife through butter. I back him to take a 5fer here and really get in the groove of test cricket again. We have a lot of home series coming up, and he should make sure that he is fit and in good form.
    Hope Yasir gets 5. Possibly one of the few things going right for PAK here and good for his own confidence too.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 35 year old after playing professional cricket since 2000, suddenly came to know physical fitness was good for his game .

Or just a well needed praise from one Khan to another ?

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    91 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir Shah really lets his supporters down.

Imagine this guy with the fitness of Jadeja.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What he probably means is that Younis has a better routine for him to follow, better instructions/motivation which actually gets through to his head. I'm pretty sure other coaches have tried with him in the past and failed to motivate him. It's really difficult to motivate yourself to stay fit even if you really want to, sometimes you need that extra push and that's what Younis has given him. Nothing wrong with admitting it.

I have experienced this myself, although I'm not a professional but I'd love to have an athlete level fitness but it's very tough but there are people that are a lot more motivating and make me workout a lot harder than others.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2638 Post(s)
    Tagged
    10 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ami View Post
    3 to 4 kg...haha. He is lying.
    Another 15 kg and he should be considered for selection.

Debut
    Sep 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LOL only reason he's flapping his mouth (mindlessly) is because he's got a bit of performance to show now. You didn't hear a peep from him when was left to eat dust in the just concluded series in NZ.

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Araash View Post
    LOL only reason he's flapping his mouth (mindlessly) is because he's got a bit of performance to show now. You didn't hear a peep from him when was left to eat dust in the just concluded series in NZ.
    And, YK also had nothing to be proud of in NZL and with his tail ender scored some runs , YK asked him ( Shah ) to give some credit to him.

Debut
    Feb 2006
    Runs
    Mentioned
    508 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    TBH more than the players, the team's fitness trainers and nutritionists should be on the dock for this, their jobs need to be threatened if the players do not turn up in shape every time onto the field and only by doing that will they repeatedly be on the players case to excercise, train daily and to eat right 24/7 otherwise there is no stress in the system.

That's how it works in the professional world, the senior manager/partner threatens a junior manager with dismissal if he doesn't supervise his junior employees and ensure they are doing their jobs properly, the junior manager in order to save his behind, gets on the case of the junior employee to make sure he is doing what is expected of him and if the junior employee doesn't deliver as expected then gets moved on.

Don't understand why don't we have a more ruthless system in place at the PCB

Debut
    May 2013
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hitthestump View Post
    Indeed, but i noticed no mention of Misbah bhai in this passage which is interesting.
    Idk, maybe Misbah isn't into this you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours business - possibly the only commendable thing about him.

I remember during Mickey's time, it was so ridiculous how every player would thank "ajju bhai" but would never mention Mickey or Flower at the post match ceremonies. And yk is the first person who would do anything to look good.

Anyway, desis are so insecure that they need these kind of tactics to stay relevant. Yasir has got physios around 24/7, no one could guide him to weight loss? Had to be yk after all this time

Debut
    Dec 2018
    Venue
    Mississauga , Ontario (originally from Islamabad)
    Runs
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    Idk, maybe Misbah isn't into this you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours business - possibly the only commendable thing about him.

I remember during Mickey's time, it was so ridiculous how every player would thank "ajju bhai" but would never mention Mickey or Flower at the post match ceremonies. And yk is the first person who would do anything to look good.

Anyway, desis are so insecure that they need these kind of tactics to stay relevant. Yasir has got physios around 24/7, no one could guide him to weight loss? Had to be yk after all this time
    No one thanked Mickey because he is a very poor coach.

Debut
    Oct 2004
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    22 Thread(s)
    4th wicket this morning for Yasir

For the latest updates on Cricket, follow @PakPassion on Twitter

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He got a 4fer, but I think it will go well for him. Good to see him with some confidence back, looks more threatening now.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think he got more top order wickets in comparison to how Nauman fared. Still, they all count and PAK have been known to convolute simpler situations.

Hope his bowling becomes as potent as possible.

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    He badly needed those wickets in this match against South Africa.

He's a confidence bowler and looks much more threatening when he's on song.

Still not at his best though.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would also be 'motivated' to lose weight if Younis twirled knife near me everyday at breakfast

Debut
    May 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That weight loss is not enough.... he needs to loose at least 10 to 15 kg minimum...... for him to continue being successful as a cricketer..... he is rather fat for his build

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Virat Kohli was grateful to Duncan for similar thing, people need to stop being so judgemental and just be happy for once.

https://zeenews.india.com/cricket/vi...r_1952469.html

“You need a set pattern of your training, the way you eat, how healthy and fit you need to be. Being fitter made me mentally stronger. It was like a direct connection,” Kohli recalled

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^

"Kohli is the only cricketer ranked among top five batsmen in ICC rankings across formats"

Babar is doing the same but no one cares...

yeh bick gai hai Big 3...

Debut
    Jan 2020
    Venue
    NY, Lahore LOVE!!
    Runs
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigboii View Post
    ^

"Kohli is the only cricketer ranked among top five batsmen in ICC rankings across formats"

Babar is doing the same but no one cares...

yeh bick gai hai Big 3...
    or was doing it just a couple of months ago when Pak was playing tests back to back

Debut
    Jun 2001
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2231 Post(s)
    Tagged
    27 Thread(s)
    The older you get, the harder it is to lose weight.

Yasir's age is shown as 34, but he's probably 37 or 38 I reckon.

I can't imagine that he will get much fitter in future.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaDed View Post
    Virat Kohli was grateful to Duncan for similar thing, people need to stop being so judgemental and just be happy for once.

https://zeenews.india.com/cricket/vi...r_1952469.html

“You need a set pattern of your training, the way you eat, how healthy and fit you need to be. Being fitter made me mentally stronger. It was like a direct connection,” Kohli recalled
    Reading responses on this thread makes me laugh, it's funny how posters turn even positive actions as a negative. I remember some making up stuff about how Younis K took credit for Butler batting on an interview whereas it was Infact the complete opposite. Younis Khan refused to take credit for Butler performance when the presenter tried to give him credit. Younis said that I told Butler you already have won the match for England what more tips you need from me, but later he did have a chat with him.
    Last edited by Saj; 31st January 2021 at 02:34.

Debut
    Jul 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PakPremi View Post
    Reading responses on this thread makes me laugh, it's funny how posters turn even positive actions as a negative. I remember some making up stuff about how Younis K took credit for Butler batting on an interview whereas it was Infact the complete opposite. Younis Khan refused to take credit for Butler performance when the presenter tried to give him credit. Younis said that I told Butler you already have won the match for England what more tips you need from me, but later he did have a chat with him.
    Same thing happened on a thread about Younus saying he expected to get called by the cricket committee in response to a journalist’s question.

Funny thing is, there are quite a few things where Younus can be found out/dirt to be had on him but people would rather shoot blindly.

Debut
    Jun 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the criticism should not be only on Yasir or Younis but all the Pakistani cricketers they always try to highlight their own achievements in presses and interviews rather than talk about team performances. Having said that I have not heard Younis ever big his cricket performance but he does bring up things like I play for team quote more than is necessary to highlight.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Pakpassion... people criticise coaches for not improving their players (fair enough).

Pakpassion... player performs well & wants to thank the coach for helping him achieve= coach gets criticised again.