Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yasir Shah versus Saeed Ajmal

DISCLAIMER: I am not comparing the two on current form and I DONT want you to not consider Ajmal because he "chucked".

Lets pretend for a moment Saeed Ajmal did not chuck. All hypothetical. Who is the better bowler? This is exclusively for Test match cricket because Ajmal easily wins otherwise.

Who do you think had a bigger impact for Pakistan? I remember there was a time Ajmal topped all charts and was number 1 in all rankings. Every batsman around the world feared him. He was what Ashwin is in India but his success and fear wasn't halted to one country. He was feared wherever he went.

So, who is the better bowler? Yasir Shah almost has as many wickets as him so this is a genuine comparison.

Again, please don't post "he was chucking so it doesn't count" or anything in similar because this is all hypothetical.

Debut
    Sep 2012
    Runs
    Mentioned
    7576 Post(s)
    Tagged
    40 Thread(s)
    Yasir. Ajmal was overrated in Tests.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post
    DISCLAIMER: I am not comparing the two on current form and I DONT want you to not consider Ajmal because he "chucked".

Lets pretend for a moment Saeed Ajmal did not chuck. All hypothetical. Who is the better bowler? This is exclusively for Test match cricket because Ajmal easily wins otherwise.

Who do you think had a bigger impact for Pakistan? I remember there was a time Ajmal topped all charts and was number 1 in all rankings. Every batsman around the world feared him. He was what Ashwin is in India but his success and fear wasn't halted to one country. He was feared wherever he went.

So, who is the better bowler? Yasir Shah almost has as many wickets as him so this is a genuine comparison.

Again, please don't post "he was chucking so it doesn't count" or anything in similar because this is all hypothetical.
    Yasir. Won you a test match at Lords and generally has been more effective in tests generally.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2071 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ajmal almost always had Rehman or Babar to keep a lid on runs from the other end while he weaved his magic. Yasir is sort of a lone wolf and most often he has guys like Rahat or Wahab spraying it to every inch of the pitch at the other end.

Ajmal had more guile and brains to outfox batsmen. Yasir as we have seen doesn't have many go to backup options if things aren't going his way. Shah will either win you the match or get dispatched for 100+ in an innings while remaining wicketless.

All of that being said, personally I feel like Ajmal was the better bowler while Shah is the more interesting one to watch.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ajmal was more economical, but Yasir is more of a match-winner.

6. Google Ad Manager-
    Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Syed1 View Post
    Ajmal almost always had Rehman or Babar to keep a lid on runs from the other end while he weaved his magic. Yasir is sort of a lone wolf and most often he has guys like Rahat or Wahab spraying it to every inch of the pitch at the other end.

Ajmal had more guile and brains to outfox batsmen. Yasir as we have seen doesn't have many go to backup options if things aren't going his way. Shah will either win you the match or get dispatched for 100+ in an innings while remaining wicketless.

All of that being said, personally I feel like Ajmal was the better bowler while Shah is the more interesting one to watch.
    Top post. Ajmal always picked up wickets and was threatening too but as @Rayyman put it, Yasir is already more of a match-winner.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, NYC
    Runs
    Mentioned
    105 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajmal didn't leak runs like Yasir does sometimes in unfriendly conditions, but Ajmal also didn't single-handedly win Pakistan as many matches as Yasir has IIRC.

Apart from Yasir's first series, where Zulfi bowled better than him, Yasir has carried this bowling attack. Pakistan haven't won a match since Yasir's debut in which Yasir hasn't taken a 5-for.

Ajmal had some help from Abdur Rehman and Junaid was also in his peak years taking wickets on flat decks.

Nahi hua us se chase

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarfarazian92 View Post
    Ajmal didn't leak runs like Yasir does sometimes in unfriendly conditions, but Ajmal also didn't single-handedly win Pakistan as many matches as Yasir has IIRC.

Apart from Yasir's first series, where Zulfi bowled better than him, Yasir has carried this bowling attack. Pakistan haven't won a match since Yasir's debut in which Yasir hasn't taken a 5-for.

Ajmal had some help from Abdur Rehman and Junaid was also in his peak years taking wickets on flat decks.
    Yes, perhaps. Its just that every time Ajmal comes to mind, so does Hashim Amla saying Ajmal was the toughest bowler he'd faced. And so does Sanga saying the exact same thing despite playing for so, so many years and playing against a parade of bowlers. And these aren't the only two.

Ajmal had instilled a genuine fear in the batsmen's minds with his Doosra was quite successful with it too. But, I guess you're right, Yasir wins at the end of the day because of his match-winning ability.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    449 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Not a fair comparison (if you know what I mean). Yasir Shah is a proper bowler, to compare him with someone who was never even a bowler in the first place is an insult to Yasir Shah.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    United States of America
    Runs
    Mentioned
    764 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    My favorite sight in cricket is seeing Yasir spin balls out of the rough on Day 4/5 and go on adrenaline-filled runs of joy after taking wickets.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2071 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Not a fair comparison (if you know what I mean). Yasir Shah is a proper bowler, to compare him with someone who was never even a bowler in the first place is an insult to Yasir Shah.
    If he was never a bowler why was he tested and cleared by ICC twice before?

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2071 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I love Shah's celebrations though where he jumps up and punches towards the ground... Or goes on a crazy Tahir-esque celebratory run.

Debut
    Jun 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you forget that Ajmal chucked, what has Ajmal done which Yasir Shah couldn't do with his bowling?

Yasir Shah has outbowled Ajmal in UAE, England and Sri Lanka. Both haven't done much in Aus and NZ. Yasir picked 17 wickets in first 2 matches in WI and so did Ajmal. SA is only place where Yasir has to perform better than Ajmal.

It's not even a close contest.

Debut
    Oct 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    761 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajmal was the first match-winning spinner for Pakistan in Tests during Misbah's era and Yasir is continuing his legacy.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    449 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If he was never a bowler why was he tested and cleared by ICC twice before?
    At the end of the day, what was the outcome? Mr. Chucker Extraordinaire. Not to mention an absolute liar. His beautiful lies at first when he claimed that he can't bowl with a legal action at first, and when he was banned he somehow started bowling with a legal action. Looks like his deformity changed in a few months.
    Last edited by Hitman; 14th May 2017 at 19:52.

If there is a better batsman than Sachin then he hasn't arrived yet: Viv Richards

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    Please read the Post #1. I'd rather have you not comment because like I mentioned TWICE, this is hypothetical and I don't want posts talking about him "chucking" or whatever it is. I just want to know who you think had a bigger impact. Lets pretend he didn't "chuck" for a moment.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Manager101 View Post
    Ajmal was the first match-winning spinner for Pakistan in Tests during Misbah's era and Yasir is continuing his legacy.
    Absolutely. Both have been great for the cause of Pakistan.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can be a better bowler than both if I was throwing and not bowling.

If we ignore the throwing, Ajmal just slightly ahead, because of economy.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    I can be a better bowler than both if I was throwing and not bowling.

If we ignore the throwing, Ajmal just slightly ahead, because of economy.
    That's what I was looking for. The rest was needless given I mentioned in post #1 this was all hypothetical.

Debut
    Jan 2014
    Runs
    Mentioned
    759 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    overall Ajmal is better. Ajmal was a champion in LOIs. In Tests however Yasir is much better. Yasir does have an issue at containing when things arent going his way. But he is a bigger match winner in Tests than Ajmal.

In LOIs Ajmal

In Tests Yasir.

Debut
    Aug 2016
    Venue
    Islamabad/Auckland
    Runs
    Mentioned
    145 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adil_94 View Post
    overall Ajmal is better. Ajmal was a champion in LOIs. In Tests however Yasir is much better. Yasir does have an issue at containing when things arent going his way. But he is a bigger match winner in Tests than Ajmal.

In LOIs Ajmal

In Tests Yasir.
    Yeah, agreed. I do think however Ajmal was always a man with a plan. Even if he did get hit for runs, he would get things back into control and keep his calm. Yasir on the other hand completely loses it and goes for even more runs and picks up no wickets.

Debut
    Oct 2010
    Venue
    Between Rawalpindi and Hobart
    Runs
    Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    for a while Yasir was carrying the entire bowling attack himself

Ajmal had AR and peak Junaid

"Last time Uganda toured Canada, half their team ran away to start a new life" - cricfan967

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ajmal is a better container and has more variations. I think Ajmal was a better odi bowler than a test bowler.

As others have mentioned Yasir has had to carry our bowling attack more.

I'll go with Yasir in tests.

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yasir no question. If he takes 5 wickets per game in his next ten Tests, which would be below his career average to date, he will become the fastest ever to 200 wickets. Biggest threat to him is that the rest of the bowling attack starts to take more wickets, a la Abbas.
    Last edited by New Yorker; 14th May 2017 at 22:01.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yasir no doubt. Expect those numbers to go down below 30 in coming series. He had a series as good as Ashwin had in WI.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2071 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ab Fan View Post
    Yasir no doubt. Expect those numbers to go down below 30 in coming series. He had a series as good as Ashwin had in WI.
    Ashwin had 17 wickets in 4 matches at an average of 23.

Yasir has 23 wickets at the moment in 3 matches at an average of 21.

Do not compare world's best spinner Shah with a HTB bully like Ashwin.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ashwin had 17 wickets in 4 matches at an average of 23.

Yasir has 23 wickets at the moment in 3 matches at an average of 21.

Do not compare world's best spinner Shah with a HTB bully like Ashwin.
    Did you bother checking that 1 test was completely washed out and the other also had a day and a half washed out.

Debut
    Jan 2015
    Venue
    Karachi, Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2071 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    Did you bother checking that 1 test was completely washed out and the other also had a day and a half washed out.
    Wash out doesn't effect average..

Debut
    Nov 2015
    Venue
    National Stadium Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In tests it's Yasir but overall Ajmal.

Debut
    Jun 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wash out doesn't effect average..
    It does affect number of wickets taken. And an average of 21 and 23 is not significantly superior.

Debut
    Jan 2013
    Venue
    Pakistan
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExpressPacer View Post

Shah is a better test bowler. Ajmal was better allround. I mean, has been replaced by Shah in test and Imad in LOIs. Neither was good enough for all three formats, while Ajmal was no1 in all.

Debut
    Apr 2013
    Venue
    Karachi
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2400 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidilicious View Post
    It does affect number of wickets taken. And an average of 21 and 23 is not significantly superior.
    Name:  wi.jpg
Views: 1239
Size:  25.7 KB

More wickets.

Better average.

Better economy.

Better strike-rate.

Better bowler.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tests: Yasir, as he won you two games in England, one almost singlehandedly.

ODI: Ajmal. No comparison here.

T20I: Ajmal.

Debut
    Jan 2017
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir is a match winner in test. Ajmal hasn't done much to speak of

Ajmal is far ahead in ODIs, no competition.

Debut
    Mar 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajmal is far ahead in my opinion. He already was at par with saqlain and qadir. Yasir will most probably end up with Kaneria and Mushy.

Debut
    Dec 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    If (and it is a big if), Ajmal's chucking is not taken into consideration, I think he was a superior bowler which is evident by his effectiveness in shorter formats too. From 2010 onwards, Ajmal was the undisputed best spinner in the world who performed in each and every format.

Debut
    Feb 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In his last two years, ajmal as test bowler had been average (age also caught up with him -- his age is same as Saqlain's!), otherwise Ajmal was a beast in every format in his prime years.

Yasir is brillaint in tests, is a better batsman and fielder, but I suppose we're comparing bowling so Ajmal wins it hands down

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Saeed Ajmal was on his way to becoming the third ATG spin bowler. Sensationally great in the LOs and very good in tests as well. Could control a game unlike any other spinner in a long time and would never look clueless like some of the other offies do these days.

There is no comparison between Ajmal and Shah in ODIs and T20s, frankly speaking, no spinner other than Warne, Murali and Saqlain ever hit the heights Ajmal did in one-dayers. In tests, Shah is a very good spinner in his own right and the best in the world, currently, but I would give the edge to Ajmal because he could do everything Shah could do but also had the defensive side of the game covered while Shah being a leggie, cannot be a defensive bowler even if he tried.

Ajmal > Shah > every other spinner playing today.

لَا إِلٰهَ إِلَّا الله مُحَمَّدٌ رَسُولُ الله

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Better than Ashwin, as usual. I did not even bother bumping any threads but it's a foregonr conclusion that the 'Bowling Bradman' is not as good as cricket's Messi.

Debut
    May 2009
    Venue
    London
    Runs
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a lot of revisonism going on regarding Ajmal.

Going back to the OP - pretend Ajmal had no question on his action or anything.

Ajmal seriously had an aura about him. There was no question that he could run through a team. Bamboozle the best. Everyone had problems picking him.

I just don't see that with Yasir - yet. I know everyone wants Yasir to suceed and to forget the Ajmal chapter....but thats honestly, hand on heart, how I see it

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfair comparison, one is a legspinner the other a professional darts player

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Venue
    Yonge-Dundas
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1070 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Saeed Ajmal was on his way to becoming the third ATG spin bowler. Sensationally great in the LOs and very good in tests as well. Could control a game unlike any other spinner in a long time and would never look clueless like some of the other offies do these days.
    Why couldn't the chucker do that after remodelling his action?

You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan, designed and directed by his red right hand.

Debut
    Feb 2013
    Venue
    Guwahati, Assam
    Runs
    Mentioned
    449 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Wasn't he claiming that he can't bowl with a legal action because of an accident? Yet surprisingly, the moment he was banned for his action, he somehow started bowling with a proper action. Looks like his deformity went out of the window after that.

Liar, liar, pants on fire ......
    Last edited by Hitman; 15th May 2017 at 19:30.

Debut
    May 2014
    Venue
    chennai
    Runs
    Mentioned
    696 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Right now in tests I doubt Pakistan would win much without Yasir.

Debut
    Dec 2010
    Venue
    Mississauga
    Runs
    Mentioned
    879 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Yasir off course

Debut
    Jul 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajmal was a better threat in ODIs, Tests are Yasir's forte.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One was a bowler the other was a chucker.

Debut
    Feb 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed Ajmal. This guy was difficult too read. Brilliant . Yasir is too one dimensional

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The chucking part is difficult to ignore but just to forcefully make a comparison, I rate Ajmal better than Yasir based on the following 5 points:

1. Ajmal's variations: Ajmal could bowl slow, quick, doosra, top spinner. He had everything. Yasir is extremely one-dimensional. Non-existent googly and flipper. If you give Yasir a spinning pitch he can't pitch the ball on off-stump and straighten it like Warney to get LBWs. A good chunk of Yasir's bowling relies on the batsman making a mistake whereas Ajmal would create a mistake.

2. Ajmal's adaptability: Ajmal could adapt to the game scenario almost at will. He could lead your attack as well as bowl the last over of the game in an ODI. Yasir is very limited in this case.

3. Ajmal's reading of batsmen: Ajmal was exceptional when it came to reading batsmen. He would tailor his bowling to different batsmen and would always bowl with a plan. Yasir seems clueless. He has been extremely dependent on Misbah to guide his bowling setup. And with Misbah not there to hold his hand anymore, I fear for Yasir.

4. Ajmal's economy: He would keep a lid on the run-rate like no spinner could in ODIs while still retaining the threatening aspect of his bowling. Yasir gets on the back-foot as soon as he is attacked in Test cricket let alone ODIs and his bowling length consequently goes all over the place. His threat meter goes straight to zero. You could trust Ajmal to win you a game in the 50th over of the ODI, but can you trust Yasir in a similar situation? Not even in a million years.

5. Ajmal as a stock-bowler: You give a green top wicket to both Ajmal and Yasir and Ajmal would hands down win the battle simply because Ajmal would be able to tie down one end by becoming a stock bowler so that the pacers have the luxury to attack the batsmen from the other end. On the other hand, Yasir would go for aplenty and actually release all the pressure from the fast bowlers.

However, this is all hypothetical since Yasir bowls legitimately while Ajmal's action was always controversial and in most likelihood chucked all his career. So it's not really an apples to apples comparison but if you had to make one, Ajmal supersedes Yasir by a fair margin.

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilal7 View Post
    Better than Ashwin, as usual. I did not even bother bumping any threads but it's a foregonr conclusion that the 'Bowling Bradman' is not as good as cricket's Messi.
    Both Yasir and Ashwin are better than any spinner in the world barring Swann and Herath in the post Murali-Warne era.

Debut
    Feb 2012
    Venue
    Mississauga, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    1044 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Both Yasir and Ashwin are better than any spinner in the world barring Swann and Herath in the post Murali-Warne era.
    Ajmal was better than both and I seriously hope you're not counting Saqlain among the post-Murali and Warne era. Also, don't group Shah and Ashwin because the former is clearly the better spinner and they have nothing in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Abdul View Post
    Because Ajmal is a human being. You're being silly if you expect a 38 year old to completely change his action but still be as great as he was with the action he used for over a decade.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yasir Shah vs Saeed Ajmal in Tests

For last 12 years these two have led our test bowling attack.

Who do you think has been the better one?

Yasir in my opinion is the better one in Asia while Ajmal offered a bit more control in SNA.

I would take Yasir over Ajmal.

Debut
    Jan 2019
    Venue
    India
    Runs
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir. Not even a comparison. Ajmal was lucky to be playing in a time where ICC used to manipulate their own rules to accommodate every Tom, Dick and Harry spinners.

Debut
    Aug 2018
    Runs
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir Shah.

At least he bowls.

Debut
    Nov 2020
    Runs
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If Yasir is on song, he puts the game on the side quite easily.

Ajmal was more consistent overall, but Yasir can provide the crucial breakthrough.

I'd take Yasir in Asia and Ajmal in SENA.

Debut
    Dec 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    770 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yasir. Will end up as Pakistan's greatest spin bowler if not already there. Ajmal was great for a 2 year period between 2011-2013 but Yasir has been a consistent match winner in atleast Asian conditions for the last 7 years. And that's if we even consider Ajmal a bowler in the first place.

'There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold'

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Sheffield
    Runs
    Mentioned
    518 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Obviously the bowler is better than the chucker and cheat.

Debut
    Jul 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    910 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not a fair comparison.

Ajmal wasn't a bowler. He was deemed illegal.
    Last edited by Hawkeye; 28th January 2021 at 19:44.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Toronto
    Runs
    Mentioned
    535 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I vote for Ajmal. He was better to me.

Bangladeshi Man

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion66 View Post
    Yasir. Not even a comparison. Ajmal was lucky to be playing in a time where ICC used to manipulate their own rules to accommodate every Tom, Dick and Harry spinners.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikhil_cric View Post
    Yasir. Will end up as Pakistan's greatest spin bowler if not already there. Ajmal was great for a 2 year period between 2011-2013 but Yasir has been a consistent match winner in atleast Asian conditions for the last 7 years. And that's if we even consider Ajmal a bowler in the first place.
    We must consider him the bowler as he was allowed to bowl in international cricket. Anybody who is allowed to bowl in international cricket his wickets must be considered up until that point.

Ajmal was more reliable in all conditions and could also control the run rate where Yasir either takes wickets or goes for a lot of runs. Yasir is a very good wicket taker but where the wickets doesnt support him he goes for too many runs.

Debut
    Dec 2013
    Runs
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajmal is better. He would have very likely had a great career

Debut
    Sep 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Yasir any day, any week!

Debut
    Apr 2015
    Runs
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Ah Ajmal, the enigma.

I remember when he took 5fer in the aane do series, he sure did have big game temperament. But a chucker is a chucker and never really recovered after reworking his action.

Yasir will take this but purely on test performance. Ajmal was pound for pound one the best middle order ODI spinners in the world.

Debut
    Feb 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yasir in asain conditions
    Ajmal in sena

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    We must consider him the bowler as he was allowed to bowl in international cricket. Anybody who is allowed to bowl in international cricket his wickets must be considered up until that point.

Ajmal was more reliable in all conditions and could also control the run rate where Yasir either takes wickets or goes for a lot of runs. Yasir is a very good wicket taker but where the wickets doesnt support him he goes for too many runs.
    Agree, they couldíve nabbed him as early as 2009 right...Unless the rules on flex changed after?

Debut
    Sep 2016
    Runs
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaka4pope View Post
    Agree, they could’ve nabbed him as early as 2009 right...Unless the rules on flex changed after?
    Yes they could have but they decided to be more strict and apply the rules properly later. He was allowed to bowl and was not really cheating or deceiving anyone hence his wickets must count.

Debut
    Aug 2012
    Venue
    NB, Canada
    Runs
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Imagine comparing a legit bowler, Yasir, to a cheater. Why should we not discount Ajmal because he chucked?

Babar Azam: Runs 8032, Average 44, Top Score: 204, Fav fan: CricFan2012

Debut
    Jul 2016
    Venue
    New Jersey, USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't compare Yasir with a chucker, that's not right.

Debut
    Feb 2018
    Venue
    USA
    Runs
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yasir is one of the most pathetic spinners on non-friendly tracks in the history of the game. Probably second only to Imran Tahir. He has lost Pakistan so many games.

Ajmal (the chucking version) would have performed far better in overseas conditions. He provided more control even on his bad days. He would have helped Pakistan manage to win or draw more games. Heck, I am sure there are other domestic bowlers who would fair better than Yasir.

On spinning tracks though, Yasir is a game-changer and better than Ajmal.

Overall - I will go with Ajmal.

Debut
    Jan 2006
    Venue
    England
    Runs
    Mentioned
    386 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    By quite a distance ó Yasir Shah.

Debut
    Nov 2019
    Runs
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Ajmal was never a good test bowler. He was a T20-ODI specialist. Yasir is an out and out world class test bowler. No comparison at all.

Debut
    Mar 2011
    Runs
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakhs View Post
    Yes they could have but they decided to be more strict and apply the rules properly later. He was allowed to bowl and was not really cheating or deceiving anyone hence his wickets must count.
    To be honest, I do go on YouTube now and then and watch some of Ajmalís test spells, those doosras that got through forward defences are a joy to watch. Brilliant in LOIs too.

Debut
    Mar 2016
    Venue
    Attock
    Runs
    Mentioned
    782 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ajmal was better and its not even a comparison in LOIs.

Chucking is irrelevant here. He got banned when he chucked.

Debut
    Sep 2017
    Runs
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is pity for Pakistan that they didn't have both playing together for 1-1.5 yr atleast.

There is plenty Yasir could have learnt in how to setup a batsman from Ajmal, and it would also have been fun to see two pure attacking spinners in tandem.